Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212430 times)

tmac

• Bristles
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »
I'm feeling yesterday's workout as well, in a good way. It's not painful to move around, but I'm sure feeling those muscles.

Can I check in with you guys about my current workout routine? I'd like some input on whether I'm going about it in a smart way, if you don't mind.

Workout Goals: 1) Build muscle for increased base calorie burning; 2) Strengthen my core and increase flexibility to prevent back flare-ups.

Alternating days, 5 days a week:

A) Gym Day
--- 15 minute treadmill, working my way back up to running. Yesterday, it was 8 minutes brisk walk, 7 minutes slow run.
--- Full circuit of weights. Started with weights set during gym orientation, slowly increasing as it gets easier.
--- 15 minute rowing machine. I'm just doing it at the speed and force that feels fluid. Yesterday, it was 20-21 strokes/minutes and I was breathing heavily by the end.

B) Home Day
--- 30 minutes of pilates or yoga video.

I'm also working on the input side, with improved eating habits.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »
I can tell why Jacob at ERE loves the clean push press as a minimalist weight lift. That's a wonderful exercise that I'm really enjoying. Very practical as well.

His other love is kettlebells - any particularly good videos or other online primers on how to approach those?

jordanread

« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
No gym for me this week.  The flu hit our house like a damn hurricane.  Monday was an absolute mess, yesterday wasn't bad and I'm functional enough to work today (with a little help from my Tylenol friends).  However if I go to the gym it might well kill me, so I'm going to let my body rest until Friday when I ride to the day job.

Hope you feel better!

I'm feeling yesterday's workout as well, in a good way. It's not painful to move around, but I'm sure feeling those muscles.

Can I check in with you guys about my current workout routine? I'd like some input on whether I'm going about it in a smart way, if you don't mind.

Workout Goals: 1) Build muscle for increased base calorie burning; 2) Strengthen my core and increase flexibility to prevent back flare-ups.

A) Gym Day
--- 15 minute treadmill, working my way back up to running. Yesterday, it was 8 minutes brisk walk, 7 minutes slow run.
--- Full circuit of weights. Started with weights set during gym orientation, slowly increasing as it gets easier.
--- 15 minute rowing machine. I'm just doing it at the speed and force that feels fluid. Yesterday, it was 20-21 strokes/minutes and I was breathing heavily by the end.

B) Home Day

Besides the rows, are there any other workouts you are doing to focus on your spinal muscles? I didn't even know that was a thing until I started reading about bridges, but after a bit more research, well developed and regularly worked spinal muscles do an outstanding job of protecting the spine (and therefore back flare-ups). Oh, and I do know that the yoga probably helps too.

I can tell why Jacob at ERE loves the clean push press as a minimalist weight lift. That's a wonderful exercise that I'm really enjoying. Very practical as well.

His other love is kettlebells - any particularly good videos or other online primers on how to approach those?

Look for anything by Pavel Tsatsouline. He is something like a god when it comes to kettlebells.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
No gym for me this week.  The flu hit our house like a damn hurricane.  Monday was an absolute mess, yesterday wasn't bad and I'm functional enough to work today (with a little help from my Tylenol friends).  However if I go to the gym it might well kill me, so I'm going to let my body rest until Friday when I ride to the day job.

Yikes, that sucks. Glad you're on the upswing.

A) Gym Day

B) Home Day

Besides the rows, are there any other workouts you are doing to focus on your spinal muscles? I didn't even know that was a thing until I started reading about bridges, but after a bit more research, well developed and regularly worked spinal muscles do an outstanding job of protecting the spine (and therefore back flare-ups). Oh, and I do know that the yoga probably helps too.

The weightlifting includes machines for abs and back extensions, but otherwise it doesn't have a lot of core/spinal. I've been avoiding the machines that twist because that seems like just the kind of thing that would trigger a flare-up. Maybe if I started super light.

The yoga and pilates videos I'm using are both programs specifically for targeted to back and core strength, as well as stretches for upper and lower back, glutes, and piriformis. I don't know that they specifically target spinal muscles, but it feels like they get engaged throughout.

Perhaps adding some bodyweight spinal muscle exercises on my home days would be smart. A quick Google search gave me a list of exercises to do. Most of them are actually things that are already included in the yoga and pilates programs, but I could add those that are missing (side plank, squats, hip lifts, and oblique twist).

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm in! I would like to dramatically improve my strength and fitness this year. Goals:

* Regular vitamin consumption
* Go for a walk each weekend day
* Drink a gallon of water a day
* Track my food
* Lose 1 lb/week (on average).
* Reclaim my lunch hours for ME--exercise time or not
* Visit the gym for weights 2x week
I'll get you added to the tracking post tomorrow. Since this is a year long gauntlet, are you sure you need to lose 52lbs (1lb/week)? Just trying to make sure people are in this for the year.

I need to lose about 45 lbs. I have done this before and I can do it again. The first six weeks are the hardest. You all are very inspiring and I definitely need a group to help me stay on track. Mini goal #1: update the MyFitnessPal app on my phone.

jordanread

« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
I'm in! I would like to dramatically improve my strength and fitness this year. Goals:

* Regular vitamin consumption
* Go for a walk each weekend day
* Drink a gallon of water a day
* Track my food
* Lose 1 lb/week (on average).
* Reclaim my lunch hours for ME--exercise time or not
* Visit the gym for weights 2x week
I'll get you added to the tracking post tomorrow. Since this is a year long gauntlet, are you sure you need to lose 52lbs (1lb/week)? Just trying to make sure people are in this for the year.

I need to lose about 45 lbs. I have done this before and I can do it again. The first six weeks are the hardest. You all are very inspiring and I definitely need a group to help me stay on track. Mini goal #1: update the MyFitnessPal app on my phone.
I'll leave it as is then. And for macro nutrient tracking (ratios for me) I love myfitnesspal.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »

A) Gym Day

B) Home Day

If it doesn't aggravate your back, you might consider doing more intense intervals with both the walking and the rowing.  Like instead of one walk stretch followed by one stretch of slow running, try one minute walking, one minute running a little faster (or whatever you're able to do).  You can then work on increasing the running intervals as you gain fitness.  Much of the research coming out now indicates that shorter bursts of more intense exercise are more effective for building fitness.

I'm not a fan of the weight machines at all.  Many of them force you to do the exercise with poor biomechanics and only allow a single plane of movement, so just the large target muscles are involved, and small stabilizers and secondary muscle groups don't come into play.  The machines can be good as a starting point just to get into the gym and in the habit of lifting, but think of them as a jumping off point to move to compound lifts with free weights if you can, for a more efficient and effective (and fun!) workout.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2015, 06:21:21 AM »
I want to lose 15 - 20 pounds.

I am recovering from a broken fibula, torn ligaments in my ankle, and torn stuff in my knee (that all happened in September), and from shoulder surgery (left) on 12/22.  So, right now, I am just happy to be walking again (still with some ankle/foot pain and knee weirdness). I might be able to lose 10 pounds just by returning to my usual lifestyle--walking everywhere.  I don't think I will be able to bike for at least 2 more months.

I am doing rotator cuff exercises for my right shoulder.  I already had it repaired 6 years ago, and am determined to take care of my RCs so as to avoid any future RC surgeries!

Good luck to everyone with their fitness and strength goals.

jordanread

« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:26 AM »
Perhaps adding some bodyweight spinal muscle exercises on my home days would be smart. A quick Google search gave me a list of exercises to do. Most of them are actually things that are already included in the yoga and pilates programs, but I could add those that are missing (side plank, squats, hip lifts, and oblique twist).

Those look like pretty good options to add, and if you remember the focus while doing the ones you already do w/ yoga & pilates, I think you should be able to takes some steps to prevent back issues.

I want to lose 15 - 20 pounds.

I am recovering from a broken fibula, torn ligaments in my ankle, and torn stuff in my knee (that all happened in September), and from shoulder surgery (left) on 12/22.  So, right now, I am just happy to be walking again (still with some ankle/foot pain and knee weirdness). I might be able to lose 10 pounds just by returning to my usual lifestyle--walking everywhere.  I don't think I will be able to bike for at least 2 more months.

I am doing rotator cuff exercises for my right shoulder.  I already had it repaired 6 years ago, and am determined to take care of my RCs so as to avoid any future RC surgeries!

Good luck to everyone with their fitness and strength goals.

Sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad you are on the mend. I've got your weight loss goal added. What happened, if you don't mind sharing?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
[quote author=jordanread link=topic=28879.msg518300#msg518300
Sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad you are on the mend. I've got your weight loss goal added. What happened, if you don't mind sharing?
[/quote]

Fell during ice hockey camp in June (shoulder), and was roughed up in an ice hockey game in September (fiblua/ankle/knee).  Maybe it's time to hang up the skates!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »
If it doesn't aggravate your back, you might consider doing more intense intervals with both the walking and the rowing.  Like instead of one walk stretch followed by one stretch of slow running, try one minute walking, one minute running a little faster (or whatever you're able to do).  You can then work on increasing the running intervals as you gain fitness.  Much of the research coming out now indicates that shorter bursts of more intense exercise are more effective for building fitness.

I'm not a fan of the weight machines at all.  Many of them force you to do the exercise with poor biomechanics and only allow a single plane of movement, so just the large target muscles are involved, and small stabilizers and secondary muscle groups don't come into play.  The machines can be good as a starting point just to get into the gym and in the habit of lifting, but think of them as a jumping off point to move to compound lifts with free weights if you can, for a more efficient and effective (and fun!) workout.

Intervals! Yes! Excellent idea. There'd been something not right about the treadmill portion in particular, and I think that'll fix it, plus give me that greater efficacy.  I'll start today. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up about weight machines. I'm a total noob. I'll pay attention to the secondary muscle issue and move into free weights when I'm ready. There are a couple of machines that do seem to have more of a floating bar, so maybe those are better at engaging those other muscle groups.

Those look like pretty good options to add, and if you remember the focus while doing the ones you already do w/ yoga & pilates, I think you should be able to takes some steps to prevent back issues.

That would be awesome. I've been averaging one 3-week episode of severe pain per year, so I'm really intent on taking care of it once and for all. One of the helpful things the yoga video instructor does is to remind you to think about what you want to get out of your yoga practice each time, so that's my opportunity to remind myself to really focus on the core.

Thanks for the help!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
That would be awesome. I've been averaging one 3-week episode of severe pain per year, so I'm really intent on taking care of it once and for all. One of the helpful things the yoga video instructor does is to remind you to think about what you want to get out of your yoga practice each time, so that's my opportunity to remind myself to really focus on the core.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure where your back pain is specifically, but I used to have a lot of back pain from sitting at a computer all day, specifically the effort of holding my arms floating in front of my body. I've found that a long drive will cause similar pain. Side planking helped, but one exercise helped the most. I don't even know what to call it, but I used a weight machine at the gym that had handles on ropes that you could pull in different directions, and I'd set the weight to way more than my body weight so it could hold me, stand with my feet forward and lean back so I was at an angle, and then pull myself up. I guess you'd call it angled pull up? (Yup, Google images confirms that's what it's called http://beyondfitness.co/?attachment_id=845)

Anyway, that was a great one for my back, and the cause of my pain is such a common one I think it could help most people. Also, plus one for intervals and for moving away from two directional weight machines to free weights or machines like I described above that don't stabilize you while you workout. Good luck!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
I particularly like mixing free weights and machines. I prefer free weights and they comprise about 70% of my strength training program...for chest, biceps, and shoulders I find free weights work best. But some of the machines, particularly for lats (pulldowns) and triceps (cable pushdowns), work really well.

My lower body has always been comparatively weaker than my upper - my kayaking hobby has always maintained my upper body to a certain degree - leaving the legs a bit "toothpicky". I need to address this.  Also, I don't feel all that comfortable doing squats with a barbell on my back - so the sit down leg press machine is also a favourite of mine. Just feels safer...maybe once my legs beef up a bit I will move to some traditional squats...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
I particularly like mixing free weights and machines. I prefer free weights and they comprise about 70% of my strength training program...for chest, biceps, and shoulders I find free weights work best. But some of the machines, particularly for lats (pulldowns) and triceps (cable pushdowns), work really well.

My lower body has always been comparatively weaker than my upper - my kayaking hobby has always maintained my upper body to a certain degree - leaving the legs a bit "toothpicky". I need to address this.  Also, I don't feel all that comfortable doing squats with a barbell on my back - so the sit down leg press machine is also a favourite of mine. Just feels safer...maybe once my legs beef up a bit I will move to some traditional squats...

To put a finer point on it, I think the cable equipment provides good exercise, and I don't really group them with The Machines because they don't lock in the range of movement in the same way (e.g. the lat pulldown machine has a rigid range of motion, the cable pulldown does not).

Jon Snow, here is a good article on the leg press machine.  http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Leg-Press-Machine-Q-A.cfm  Maybe a strategy is to do shallower, heavier "lifts" on the machine, and deeper squats with a lighter weight would be a good strategy? Squatting butt to the floor with just the bar is surprisingly effective, and a good range of motion exercise.  Also, deadlifting might feel safer since the worst thing that can really happen is dropping the weight from thigh height (assuming you aren't trying to overload your lift). 

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »

Why exactly do squats feel more dangerous?  Do you not have an opportunity to work with some kind of squat rack that catches the weight when you fail?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
My winter blues set in the last couple of days so I havent done much, but tonight, back to the gym I go, regardless of how I feel.  I feel myself progressing and I dont want to lose the little bit I have gained.   I should probably get myself a sun lamp or something.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
I've been good about the gym (I want to lose a few pounds but then to just maintain), but what I really need to figure out this year is how to handle running without injuring my knees. When I run at the gym it's only for 30 minutes, which I can handle, but when I run outside in the spring and summer I go farther, and I'm afraid that if I ramp up the distance too quickly then I'll reactivate a knee injury from last summer. I think it was overuse but never saw a specialist and am worried I'm going to keep hitting this issue! There is an orthopedic sports doctor at my doctor's office, so it would be easy for me to do a consult, just not sure there is enough information to go on for that--just a general twinging and feeling that it could easily get worse. Next year I'd like to do a half marathon--I'm not worried about the distance, but I am worried about my knees. Not sure how to address this. Going to see an orthopedist before the pain comes back? Ramping up my distance more slowly when my run length increases? For now I'm going to keep going to the gym (I use the stairmachine for 30 minutes or jog on the track for the same amount of time), but I know I need to address my knee if I want to keep at running. I never do strength training on my knees, maybe that's the missing link I need to get serious about. Cardio is easier for me to make a habit of.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:09:26 PM by norabird »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
I hear ya on the running and knee pain, Norabird...last year while in Mexico I experienced some of the most crippling knee pain I've ever had. Had to stop our morning jogs...couldn't play tennis, and couldn't even walk on the soft beach sand.

Fast forward to this year. I am running up a storm with nary a knee twinge. My conclusion? I was carrying too much fat around my gut and my knees were trying to tell me this...because having lost the equivalent of a toddler strapped to my waist, I am having no knee problems whatsoever.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
... but what I really need to figure out this year is how to handle running without injuring my knees.

Not a bad idea to go see the doctor, if it's not a hassle to do so. "Runner's knee" is one pretty common possibility (I'm not a doctor, or a runner, but my runner husband and I have both been told we have this, at different times in our lives) Usually caused by weakness in some of the supporting muscles that help your kneecap track properly, so they can at least give you some physical therapy exercises to try and see if it helps you to strengthen those up. Worth a try anyway since it's an easy and non-invasive way to solve the problem!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
I've been good about the gym (I want to lose a few pounds but then to just maintain), but what I really need to figure out this year is how to handle running without injuring my knees. When I run at the gym it's only for 30 minutes, which I can handle, but when I run outside in the spring and summer I go farther, and I'm afraid that if I ramp up the distance too quickly then I'll reactivate a knee injury from last summer. I think it was overuse but never saw a specialist and am worried I'm going to keep hitting this issue! There is an orthopedic sports doctor at my doctor's office, so it would be easy for me to do a consult, just not sure there is enough information to go on for that--just a general twinging and feeling that it could easily get worse. Next year I'd like to do a half marathon--I'm not worried about the distance, but I am worried about my knees. Not sure how to address this. Going to see an orthopedist before the pain comes back? Ramping up my distance more slowly when my run length increases? For now I'm going to keep going to the gym (I use the stairmachine for 30 minutes or jog on the track for the same amount of time), but I know I need to address my knee if I want to keep at running. I never do strength training on my knees, maybe that's the missing link I need to get serious about. Cardio is easier for me to make a habit of.

I've had a lot of knee/shin/foot issues the past few years and the thing that really worked for me was compression sleeves. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought Shock Doctor brand. My shin splints are gone. My knees are better but on heavy running/lifting (leg day) days I put the sleeves on for just in case. I have plantar fascitiss in my left foot so I wear Burkinstoks inserts. My spelling of some of this is terrible.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
Another workout down, one more to go tomorrow. I have never looked forward to our Red Wine Friday tradition more than tomorrow night.

Not only the workouts, but a week dominated by eating dark rye crisps, cans of tuna (no mayo allowed), dodgy tasting protein shakes, and dishes dominated by lentils and chickpeas....I'm ready for some hearty food to go with that bottle of fine red sittin' in the wine rack.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
The thing that helped the most with my running pain (hips and knees) was running in minimalist shoes. I know there's some debate about them, but they've really helped me (and my husband). And that's at my highest weight of almost 250. It encouraged me to run with less bounce in my step. If I could do that in regular cushioned shoes, I'd be fine, but I always slip back into old bouncy habits which is very jarring. With the shoes, I'm more glidy. If that's a word.

Gym today. Intervals felt GREAT and I understand what you guys were saying about the problem with machines. I'll check out the options for free weights once I've gotten into the swing of things.

Credaholic, my pain is due to some bulging discs in my low back, which causes back spasms and sciatic pain. I also have some significant numbness in my right leg. Maybe I could do a similar exercise to what you describe under a low bar? Or do you think the wobbliness of the rope is useful? Our local walking path has exercise stations, and one of them has a low bar that I could do a sort of hanging reverse push-up.

jordanread

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »
The thing that helped the most with my running pain (hips and knees) was running in minimalist shoes. I know there's some debate about them, but they've really helped me (and my husband). And that's at my highest weight of almost 250. It encouraged me to run with less bounce in my step. If I could do that in regular cushioned shoes, I'd be fine, but I always slip back into old bouncy habits which is very jarring. With the shoes, I'm more glidy. If that's a word.

As someone who has never had really debilitating injuries (possibly because of the following?), I swear by minimalist shoes. I haven't worn 'real' shoes for almost two years. I do lots of hiking and mountaineering, and they've always made me feel better. I wear Vibrams during the summer, fall, and spring, and do VivoBarefoot during the winter. Here is the thing, though: I have better balance, and a better understanding as to what I'm walking on. Fun (and totally irrelevant) anecdotal evidence:

I went up a killer road to 'rescue' my friend's son's car. They got stranded while he was wearing minimalist footwear, and walked over an hour after sunset to get a cell signal to call for help. He was fine, and I came in the next day while he was wearing some combat boots to recover his vehicle. Here is how that winded up (if you are confused, look at the angle of his knee, and the angle of his foot):

Yeah, that shit is backwards.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »

Gym today. Intervals felt GREAT and I understand what you guys were saying about the problem with machines. I'll check out the options for free weights once I've gotten into the swing of things.

Credaholic, my pain is due to some bulging discs in my low back, which causes back spasms and sciatic pain. I also have some significant numbness in my right leg. Maybe I could do a similar exercise to what you describe under a low bar? Or do you think the wobbliness of the rope is useful? Our local walking path has exercise stations, and one of them has a low bar that I could do a sort of hanging reverse push-up.

I've used a bar before when it was all I had, but I find the bar limits the range a little bit just at the end. You can only come up as far as the bar hitting your chest, whereas with cables you can go just a tiny bit further, and I think that tiny bit really utilizes those spine muscles. I'm no expert, just my experience and how I felt, but either way I hope it brings you some relief and strengthening!

Had my very best T25 workout ever today! Even my husband commented I'm getting good at this. It felt really good to push myself especially after yesterday's chopped up workout which I finally ended 2 minutes early due to screaming baby/frustrated husband. Still, I'm 100% on track. Tomorrow will be two perfectly completed weeks! Full disclosure, I'm leaving town midday tomorrow, so I'll provably do the Friday double on Sunday when we get back. I'm going to pretend that is what the calendar says to do.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2015, 05:52:18 AM »
Good advice for altering set/rep count when increasing weight? I'm primarily interested in tone than pure mass, and the weights are pretty light, but my starting weight has already gone from 1 set of 10 to 3 of 10 and I forget what my physical therapist recommended when I increase the weight.

I was thinking of going back to 1/10 unless it felt easy after the first set, in which case doing 2/10, but not all the way to 3/10 for the first few times.

Thoughts?

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
I did Body Beast Bulk Chest last night. I really wanted to just lay down and take a nap but after a few minutes I made myself go and work out and it felt great!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
Good advice for altering set/rep count when increasing weight? I'm primarily interested in tone than pure mass, and the weights are pretty light, but my starting weight has already gone from 1 set of 10 to 3 of 10 and I forget what my physical therapist recommended when I increase the weight.

I was thinking of going back to 1/10 unless it felt easy after the first set, in which case doing 2/10, but not all the way to 3/10 for the first few times.

Thoughts?

I would prefer to let those more knowledgeable about strength training to answer your technical questions about sets/reps/weights...I am still in learning mode as well.

But I will say it has been my experience thus far that if you want to "tone" your various body parts there is nothing better than losing body fat. This means cardio, dietary discipline - in essence, eat less, move more.

I have been doing intense cardio and weight training for 5 months now, and I strongly suspect that my increasingly "toned" appearance has more to do with drastic reduction of body fat than it has to do with the increasing "quality" of my musculature.

I think that for folks with even average muscle mass, removal of excess body fat will make the biggest initial difference in achieving a leaner, toned looked.

jordanread

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »
So I suck at this not drinking thing. Already screwed up...hard. Last night I had a six pack and pint of Captain. Grrr. Feel like shit today, so I'm forcing myself through my workout, and am going to find some errands to run on the bike. I was hoping just the accountability of posting here would have more of an effect. Oh well, back on the horse. I'm thinking of re-implementing wallet free weekdays, so I can't go and buy any booze. If I can make a not drinking habit stick...I'll be making huge progress on the tone and weight loss by literally doing nothing (i.e. not drinking). I kind of like that idea.

TGC, I agree with Jon_Snow. In my experience, diet greatly impacts your look. When I first switched to a primal lifestyle (ignore above ) I lost almost 40lbs without working out.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
@Jordanread.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

jordanread

« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
@Jordanread.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

That's not 'tsk' worthy. That is 'face punched by Felix Baumgartner on the way down' worthy.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
@Jordanread.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

That's not 'tsk' worthy. That is 'face punched by Felix Baumgartner on the way down' worthy.
Well Jordanread.....face punch!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
So I suck at this not drinking thing. Already screwed up...hard. Last night I had a six pack and pint of Captain.

Oh hell, I would be in the ER after a night like that.  Not to be impolite, but what the fuck were you doing to yourself?

jordanread

« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
@Jordanread.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Well Jordanread.....face punch!

I was going to say that I want to make an emoji similar to this picture:

But then I realized that the tapatalk plugin is installed on this forum, so emoji109 and 43 should work:

So I suck at this not drinking thing. Already screwed up...hard. Last night I had a six pack and pint of Captain.

Oh hell, I would be in the ER after a night like that.  Not to be impolite, but what the fuck were you doing to yourself?

It wasn't self destructive or a sad depressed drinking fest (Not saying I'm not capable of easily becoming an alcoholic, though), I just have a ridiculous unmustachian tolerance to alcohol. Couple that with the fact that I love the taste, and even when drinking water I take a drink a couple times a minute. Plus I have a lot of fun when I'm drunk. That's not even anywhere near my record for a week night and still going to work the next day. So yeah, it's just mindless consumption. I think I'm going to leave my wallet in the vehicle my GF drives, that way I can't ride to the liquor store after work.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
Wowza. Well, good on you for fessing up.

Last night was a perfect storm of alcohol consumption for me -- the latest batches of hard cider and wine were ready to taste, I had a stressful day at work, and my great workout was leading to "I deserve it!" bullshit. But I stood firm! Booze on weekends only.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Okay, tone was the wrong word. I just meant endurance, strength over long periods  of work versus body builder physique.

That's what I used to call tone, as in the tone of the muscle fibers, not tone as in beach physique.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
In my experience, incorporating some exercises that require some explosive movement/ballistics could be what you're looking for, Goblin.

So box jumps, deck squats, push press, kettlebell swings, that sort of thing.  Changing up the speed and range of motion on a maneuver seems to tax the system in different way than just increasing the same type of work (either reps or weight) can.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
Here are my 2015 fitness goals:

-1 set of 10 dead hang pull-ups (currently at 2, PR was 8 in 2013)
-<7 minute mile (I've always been an long slow distance girl...probably around 8:30 now)
-<25 minute 5k (28ish now)
-25 good form tricep push ups (the wide, chest pull ups are MUCH easier for me, 0 now)
-be able to do a pistol squat with each leg (0, never been able to do this)

More generally, I just want to be more active this year and get back into a decent workout routine of lifting, running, biking, swimming and body weight exercises. I more or less took the last quarter of 2014 off (bad for body, mind and soul!) so it's time to get back to it!  I'm thankful I did at least stick to my mostly low-fat vegan diet, so at least I didn't pack on the pounds - though I'm sure my body fat % went up!  I also struggle with flexibility - perpetual tight hamstrings and hips so I need to work on that, too.

Good luck achieving your goals everyone!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Well, after a Friday night enjoying some home made Pad Thai and some nice red wine, I find myself reflecting back on my week of workouts. It is Saturday morning and I can FEEL the effects of the. week of cardio and weight training. A general numbness in some muscle groups, and a bit of soreness in others. My wife and I are going to do a modest road run this weekend sometime, but mostly it will be a weekend dominated by rest and recovery and football (Seahawks!!!).

This was my week:

Monday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Tuesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 7 mile road run. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps
Wednesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles.  Strength training: legs, abs
Thursday: Stationary bike -10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Friday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps

It was my intention to keep this up until June...until I realized that if I am going to be successful in getting my garden/orchard going I will have to curtail this routine in the Spring.  I will be out of the city for long stretches and there are no gym facilities on my little island, where my garden experiment will occur.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:45:17 AM by Jon_Snow »

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
It was my intention to keep this up until June...until I realized that if I am going to be successful in getting my garden/orchard going I will have to curtail this routine in the Spring.  I will be out of the city for long stretches and there are no gym facilities on my little island, where my garden experiment will occur.

I bet that gardening will generate some pretty good functional strength as well. Especially planting an orchard. :)

I'm feeling a little cabin-fever today, so I'm going to do some yoga and then head out for a run. And after dinner, some splashy pool time with the kids would be a great way to end the day.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Well, after a Friday night enjoying some home made Pad Thai and some nice red wine, I find myself reflecting back on my week of workouts. It is Saturday morning and I can FEEL the effects of the. week of cardio and weight training. A general numbness in some muscle groups, and a bit of soreness in others. My wife and I are going to do a modest road run this weekend sometime, but mostly it will be a weekend dominated by rest and recovery and football (Seahawks!!!).

This was my week:

Monday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Tuesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 7 mile road run. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps
Wednesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles.  Strength training: legs, abs
Thursday: Stationary bike -10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Friday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps

Are you able to do some mountain biking on your island property?  Or even create a cool mountain biking course?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
Just wanted to update you guys about half way through the month.

Down 4 out of those 15 lbs I need to lose.

I hit a 300lb bench, 365lb squat, 415lb deadlift. Still a ways to go =D

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
I've not been doin very good so far. We've had some crap happen at work and I've been working long hours. I'm all caught up though today and ready to hit it hard first thing tomorrow  morning. I'm going to start of this year with actually completing p 90 then hopefully transition into some barbell exercises after I complete that. Because I'm so out of shape I'm going to spend next month doing only half of the workout so I don't make myself so sore I can't move. then I'll start doing the full workouts and follow the program. I took a before picture but I'm to computer illiterate to get it posted.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
I havent been to the gym in about 4 days.  So, today I forced myself to go.  I am only using the treadmill for now until I build up some and then I will move on.  Well, also some kettlebells too.  One of my goals is to teach myself how to run.  So, I walk and then just run for a min or so only a couple of times.  Well, today, I left the speed on 3.0 and just ran at the slow speed. I was able to go about 6 to 10 mins at least 3 times.  I was always trying to run at a higher speed and would run out of steam.  It dawned on my today that I should keep it low and build up stamina.  I found the lightbulb.

jordanread

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2015, 04:15:46 PM »

I went ahead and added some general goals for you. Take a look at them and let me know if you would like to modify them to something more specific. I can't think of anything besides the stuff in Convict Conditioning regarding building up the joints, and those don't necessarily speak to high impact things like running. Granted, it is designed to enable you to safely do one legged squats...Boarder42 just went through the Convict Conditioning 2 book, which has a higher focus on joint strength. It's been a while since I've read it, so he might chime in (hint). The other thing I was thinking about was from the Primal Blueprint. Running uphill apparently is less impactful on the knees and ankles, and running in sand or on grass would be even better. Just random thoughts from someone who's hate for running burns with the power of...5 suns (ish).

Here are my 2015 fitness goals:

-1 set of 10 dead hang pull-ups (currently at 2, PR was 8 in 2013)
-<7 minute mile (I've always been an long slow distance girl...probably around 8:30 now)
-<25 minute 5k (28ish now)
-25 good form tricep push ups (the wide, chest pull ups are MUCH easier for me, 0 now)
-be able to do a pistol squat with each leg (0, never been able to do this)

More generally, I just want to be more active this year and get back into a decent workout routine of lifting, running, biking, swimming and body weight exercises. I more or less took the last quarter of 2014 off (bad for body, mind and soul!) so it's time to get back to it!  I'm thankful I did at least stick to my mostly low-fat vegan diet, so at least I didn't pack on the pounds - though I'm sure my body fat % went up!  I also struggle with flexibility - perpetual tight hamstrings and hips so I need to work on that, too.

Good luck achieving your goals everyone!

I've got you added. Glad to have you here.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
Almost cut my Run short today... Glad I set some resolutions on here & have this group to report back to!  Was enough incentive to kick my butt into finishing.

It was a gorgeous, but windy day out.  DH & I headed out on our bikes together (biking is pretty new for us.)  Can't believe we rode 15 miles!!! 

We stopped at the 11 mile mark to share a pint of local micro-brew beer out on the sunny patio. Sweet! Cheating, I know, but still am astounded I rode 15 miles in that crazy wind!

My little Black Lab recognizes "workout clothes" & was losing her mind when we got home.  So I took off my bike helmut & put on a running cap & headed right back outside. 
WTH?!?!  My legs wouldn't work right.  My gait was all wonky.  I was trying to run, but I'm pretty sure it looked more like a *Monty Python silly-walk* 

Don't know how triathletes do "brick" workouts.  Oh well, managed to run 2.25 miles. 
Now I'm starving!!

jordanread

« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
Almost cut my Run short today... Glad I set some resolutions on here & have this group to report back to!  Was enough incentive to kick my butt into finishing.

It was a gorgeous, but windy day out.  DH & I headed out on our bikes together (biking is pretty new for us.)  Can't believe we rode 15 miles!!! 

We stopped at the 11 mile mark to share a pint of local micro-brew beer out on the sunny patio. Sweet! Cheating, I know, but still am astounded I rode 15 miles in that crazy wind!

My little Black Lab recognizes "workout clothes" & was losing her mind when we got home.  So I took off my bike helmut & put on a running cap & headed right back outside. 
WTH?!?!  My legs wouldn't work right.  My gait was all wonky.  I was trying to run, but I'm pretty sure it looked more like a *Monty Python silly-walk* 

Don't know how triathletes do "brick" workouts.  Oh well, managed to run 2.25 miles. 
Now I'm starving!!

Ha! It took a bit for my pups to realize that they don't always get to come with while biking. Running that distance by itself is impressive in my book, but after a 15 mile ride? Hell yeah! Also, as long as you aren't doing the no drinking bit of this gauntlet, a micro brew is totally fine. As a matter of fact, it's an integral part of the cycling culture here in Colorado. :-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
Another workout down, one more to go tomorrow. I have never looked forward to our Red Wine Friday tradition more than tomorrow night.

Not only the workouts, but a week dominated by eating dark rye crisps, cans of tuna (no mayo allowed), dodgy tasting protein shakes, and dishes dominated by lentils and chickpeas....I'm ready for some hearty food to go with that bottle of fine red sittin' in the wine rack.

Why the no mayo? Ever since I found a recipe on these forums on do-it-yourself mayo, I find it quite healthy.

Look up "immersion blender mayo". It's super easy to make! Ingredients are one egg, almost a cup of olive oil, mustard, dash of lemon, salt, pepper. Then you can add almost anything else to flavor it such as roasted red peppers, garlic, etc. I've made it a few times since coming across the recipe.

True I would steer clear of store bought mayo with a thousand strange ingredients on the list, but the homemade mayo is stuff I would eat anyways! And it tastes so much better than store bought. I never really ate much mayo before, but now it's slowly creeping its way into my diet (to make grilled chicken salad, topping a homemade lentil veggie burger, etc.).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:25:58 PM by Daisy »

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »

Why the no mayo? Ever since I found a recipe on these forums on do-it-yourself mayo, I find it quite healthy.

Look up "immersion blender mayo". It's super easy to make! Ingredients are one egg, almost a cup of olive oil, mustard, dash of lemon, salt, pepper. Then you can add almost anything else to flavor it such as roasted red peppers, garlic, etc. I've made it a few times since coming across the recipe.

True I would steer clear of store bought mayo with a thousand strange ingredients on the list, but the homemade mayo is stuff I would eat anyways! And it tastes so much better than store bought. I never really ate much mayo before, but now it's slowly creeping it's way into my diet (to make grilled chicken salad, topping a homemade lentil veggie burger, etc.).

That sounds delish!  I especially like the option of fooling around with the flavors with different add-ins. 
Thanks for the suggestion!

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2015, 09:57:10 PM »
Ok, I took some measurements and will need some feedback here. I had assistance but neither of us are experts. We're pretty sure we did the right ones, but we are not confident in the hip measurement (if that is even important for men). We measured my waist at the belly button, which is the fattest part with all the awesomeness of beer and love handles. Apologies in advance for using the better metric system (I'm not in the US right now), but I did the conversions and added them.

Height: ~1.75m/~5'9"
Weight: UNK. I'm probably in the 190s, but I wouldn't be shocked if it is high 180s
Shoulders: 127 cm/50 in
Chest: 106 cm/41.73 in
Waist: 90 cm/35.43 in
Hip?: 91 cm/35.82 in
Bicep: 35 cm/13.77 in
Neck: 39 cm/15 in
Body Fat: 20% ----------> THIS IS ACCORDING TO THE US NAVY CALCULATOR, VERY APPROXIMATE

Does that give anyone an idea of where I am and what my metrics should be? Again, my goal is no more love handles/gut. I really don't trust the Navy's calculator, although I've been told it tends to overapproximate body fat, not under. Does anyone think it is realistic that I am at 20%? If so I only really have to drove ~5%, right? I don't know, I feel like I look higher than that...I feel like I have a lot further to go than 5%, how ever many lbs of fat weight that means. Seriously, just shoot straight - I'm not here for cheerleading, I'm here for accountability. Again, no gut and no love handles is what I want, as well as better overall fitness.

I've attached a headless picture to follow jordanreed's lead somewhat (sorry man, not gonna put my face out there). I apologize in advance for the low quality - it was taken by an old iPod that has seen better days. Please let me know where I should be aiming to reach my goals. Don't worry, I'm posting my picture so that means I'm thick skinned and can take your inputs.

What does your eating look like right now? Have you had any success/lack thereof with particular diets or eating habits in the past? Losing another 5% will surely involve some adjustment to that. I think nutrition is even more important than exercise for weight loss, but a good workout plan will help speed it along.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
I'll try to sleep then, I sleep noon-6pm or 1pm to 6pm normally.

is it more effective to target muscles (different ones) each day? I do the entire gambit each day I think. My normal routine is I do the 30 minute work out at Planet Fitness that does "everything", then another 30 minutes on whatever isn't as sore. If everything is sore, I sit down and ride a bike/climb stairs to slow catch my breath before going home. Should I just sit on a chair to rest? Or is the bike/stairs a good "cooling" down thing? I liked the bike since I can sit and kind of "flop" legs and watch news on tv. I know the trainer at planet fitness recommended I not do the 30 minutes/abs each day but he didn't say why and he isn't there anymore. Nothing on internet says it's bad that I do, most people just tend to focus on one area online for some reason. I see it as the same as people running daily/doing heavy lifts daily/etc. I just do everything daily, plus I'm not too good at it so it isn't that heavy (20-50lbs depending on what machine I'm using)?

Been absent for a bit, hope I can help. Yes, you are sleeping way too little. By far.

Secondly, it doesn't sound like you have much of a plan. Going by feel might be fine for a very experienced athlete who knows their body and knows their options, but if you are less experienced, it helps to have a plan. I'm not sure what you're doing among "everything," but I don't have an issue with doing full body. It's a better strategy than splitting body parts. However, you have to intelligently select your movements, loads, volume, and frequency.

It sounds like you're newer to this, so i'm going to recommend NOT going every day, especially since your sleep isn't enough to recover. It would be better to do 3-4 days, preferably non-consecutive.

I like to select movements by category, based on 1) lower body, 2) push, 3) pull. Make sure to balance category one with both quad dominant and hamstring dominant movements. Quad dominant examples are squats and lunges, a hamstring dominant example would be romanian deadlifts or glute/ham raises. Pushing is a gener l term that encompasses things involving the pecs, triceps, and anterior delts such as pushups, bench press, overhead press, handstands, planks, etc. a pull involves the back, and could include things like pullups, rows of any sorts, lat pulldowns, etc.

Those obviously aren't the only options, just examples. I would pick one from each category each day you workout. An example would be: lunges, pushups, rows. That's a super basic template. Make yourself an A-day and a B-day, maybe a C-day, and just cycle through them, with each day having different movements. I'm not big on traditional "ab" work because it just ends up being high repitition of low-value spinal flexion. But if you want to add midline stabilization (aka ab stuff) i would recommend things like hollow holds, planks, bird dogs, side planks, things that involve locking the midline as opposed to just crunching it.

Obviously i can't just write you a program, but i am happy to critique anything you decide on, whether it's your own interpretation, or one you found online.

As for your cooldown, i think 20-30 minutes at a low level on a bike is fine, even better than collapsing in a chair. I like to cooldown with things like the c2 rower or a bike, or even just walking, then finish with a bit of stretching if you choose to stretch.

You've probably guessed i'm not a huge fan of machines. I'd recommend looking into bodyweight programs, or if you want to lift, freeweight plus bodyweight.

My favorite lifting program, especially for beginners, is Wendler's 5-3-1. For bodyweight stuff, coach sommers' Foundation One and Handstand One do a great job of prepping a beginner body to handle some really cool stuff down the road.

I'll be back to catch up with this thread later. Trying not to fall asleep on it again for so long.