Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212466 times)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »
I'll try to sleep then, I sleep noon-6pm or 1pm to 6pm normally.

is it more effective to target muscles (different ones) each day? I do the entire gambit each day I think. My normal routine is I do the 30 minute work out at Planet Fitness that does "everything", then another 30 minutes on whatever isn't as sore. If everything is sore, I sit down and ride a bike/climb stairs to slow catch my breath before going home. Should I just sit on a chair to rest? Or is the bike/stairs a good "cooling" down thing? I liked the bike since I can sit and kind of "flop" legs and watch news on tv. I know the trainer at planet fitness recommended I not do the 30 minutes/abs each day but he didn't say why and he isn't there anymore. Nothing on internet says it's bad that I do, most people just tend to focus on one area online for some reason. I see it as the same as people running daily/doing heavy lifts daily/etc. I just do everything daily, plus I'm not too good at it so it isn't that heavy (20-50lbs depending on what machine I'm using)?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:56:28 AM by eyem »

jordanread

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »
I wish the strength/fitness coach would come back

I'm sure he will be back. Just hasn't been on the forums for a couple of days, and probably doesn't have notifications setup.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
I walked for 40 mins today. I am doing an 18.5 min mile, down from 20 mins, my goal is 15 mins or better. So progress.  I also did 20 kettlebell swings with a 3 lb weight. I realize this isn't much in the scheme of things but it is for me.  Looking forward to getting fit in 2015.

It's your scheme of things, which is all that matters. And, if it makes you feel better (or if you are the competitive type), you've beat my personal record by 20 kettlebell swings with 3lbs.

Granted, I'm a shitty comparison, but there you go. Way to rock it!!

LOL, thanks.  C'on now, you are gonna let a novice like me kick your butt in the kettlebell department.  For shame. :) Just kidding.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
Sticking with my exercise goals like glue.  Swam 3 times last week, an hour each session.  I got another swim in this morning, but will have to take a break while dh heads out of town for the next week.  Our youngest is three and I can't leave him alone.

I also took a 4 mile trail run this weekend.  It was the most fun I have had in ages.  Running in the woods, in the mud, through the tress...all kinds of magnificent. I am right on target to achieving my ten mile goal.  Can't wait to get out there and run again. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
Ruthiegirl, that is...badass.

I cannot explain how good it all feels for me as well. To feel (and see) my body respond to what I am throwing at it. As I sit here on Monday morning, about an hour from heading to the gym, I find myself wanting to push myself even harder. This starts today. By Friday, I want to feel WRECKED. ;)

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
As A Beachbody coach I always have goals and my own fitness group on Facebook but I will post here as well. It's always fun finding others interested in fitness and keeping up with them.

I have done Body Beast a few times but always struggle going the full 90 days. I would actually like to complete this program twice in 2015 and stay on track. 12 days into January and I have not started yet due to illness and a bathroom remodel but there is still time to finish!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »
My goal for this year is to press my bodyweight (205 pounds). Currently I can press 175 for a single. I think adding 30 pounds will be doable, but it is a tough lift.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
Ruthiegirl, that is...badass.

I cannot explain how good it all feels for me as well. To feel (and see) my body respond to what I am throwing at it. As I sit here on Monday morning, about an hour from heading to the gym, I find myself wanting to push myself even harder. This starts today. By Friday, I want to feel WRECKED. ;)

Give yourself time to recover!  Your body can't repair itself quick enough if you beat it up too much too fast.  "Overtraining" and burnout do exist.

Update on my own goal of a set of 10 225lb squats:  I warmed up with a 15-minute bike ride to the gym, some rowing (1000m on a Concept2 @ 1:52/500m pace) a set of 8 squats @ 95lb, set of 5 @ 135lb, set of 5 @ 185, then saw how many @ 225lb I could do.  I did 5!  I'm amazed at that compared to the 2 or 3 I was doing last week.  Anyway, checkpoint reached.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
Doing some reading up here.

If you are looking to change your body image and frustrated with not seeing results I HIGHLY recommend taking before and after pictures. It always helps. You see your body daily and it's hard to tell small changes. Take pictures from three different sides then compare monthly quarterly and so on. You will see the changes then. 

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »

I also took a 4 mile trail run this weekend.  It was the most fun I have had in ages.  Running in the woods, in the mud, through the tress...all kinds of magnificent. I am right on target to achieving my ten mile goal.  Can't wait to get out there and run again.

Yay, Ruthiegirl!  Trail running rules!   Good job hanging tough on your goals!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Uh oh, thoughts on working out while sick? I've finally caught my kids' cold. I need some nudges from this board to make sure I do T25 tomorrow.

Rule of thumb on working out while sick:
if it's above the shoulders (head cold) go ahead & exercise.  At reduced effort, whatever you can manage, without pushing it.

if the sickness is below the shoulders (lungs, congestion, productive cough, etc.) then let your body rest.  Don't apply additional stress.

Do what works best for you.  It's okay to take your foot off the accelerator when sick.  These resolutions & goals are meant for the YEAR of 2015.  Don't burn yourself out in the first month!  Take care of yourself to feel better! 
No beating yourself up if illness forces you to take a breather to re-group!

I'm trying really hard to stick with the T25 calendar for one month to form a habit. We shall see! I wanted to shower early today just to steam the snot out, so I decided to do my workout and then shower. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt better than ever while working out, bounced all the crap straight out of my head! And still on track...

Kudos on your half marathon! I can't even imagine, I'm terrible at running!

jordanread

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
I'm trying really hard to stick with the T25 calendar for one month to form a habit. We shall see! I wanted to shower early today just to steam the snot out, so I decided to do my workout and then shower. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt better than ever while working out, bounced all the crap straight out of my head! And still on track...

Score 1 for overcoming adversity, also...figuring out how to make it better. Way to go!

I'm not terrible at running, I just hate it with the very core of my being. Therefore, I've got mad respect for those who can do it...or even those weirdos who choose to do it. :P

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »

..... bounced all the crap straight out of my head! And still on track...

Haha!  I've not heard of that "bounce the crap out" technique before.  I'll have to remember it the next time I have a head cold. 
Nice work staying on schedule.

I'm enjoying my vacation, it's pretty jam-packed with fun & family bonding stuff.  But, on the other hand,  I'm also itching to get back to some semblance of structure (& control over my time!)  Looking forward to getting into my planned work out schedule! 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »
On track, every scheduled workout completed so far for the year. And we're two weeks in!

Helps that I've cut back to 3 days a week running. I used to do 4, and when I work 3x12 hour shifts that means I ran every day I wasn't working. I think having an actual rest day where I don't do anything helps. Truth be told I'm probably doing the same as I was 12 months ago, it's just that back then I felt like I was missing a workout whereas now I'm calling it a rest day. :)

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
I'm jumping in here. I guess I'm one of those awful resolution gym-goers because I signed up last week and haven't gone yet!

I do have a plan, though. I'm swimming three times a week at my local pool and the gym is for bolstering my swimming fitness with strength training. I have two friends at this gym who have agreed to take me under their bicep and show me the ways of the strong (first session is tomorrow). I don't really know enough about weight training to have specific goals so my ultra-fuzzy first one is to learn as much as I can and stick to basic attendance. Better goals will come later.

I do have one for swimming, though. There's a great swim between two points on the bay around here that's about a 1.6km (1 mile) in open water. It's often pretty calm but sometimes it can get pretty hectic there, but no matter what there's always supporters at the end point cheering you on and motivating you to swim.

It's in January most years so my goal is to become good enough at swimming by this time next year that I can go for a mile comfortably in open water. Maybe that's a small goal but we'll see how I get going over the next few months.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »
Ok I'm in.

6 pack by summer.  Last year I went to the gym 2 times/week (MMA FIt) and rode my bike to work almost exclusively (bus otherwise).  I was less diligent about my diet, so I only ended up losing about 25 lbs (probably 40 lbs of fat), which leaves another 30 lbs or so before I can be considered 'lean'.

So, by summer I intend to have a six pack.  I don't much care about the appearance part of it (though perhaps my lady will appreciate it), but I do care about the health.  To do that I will:

1.  Up the ante with the gym.  My work schedule means I've only been able to attend the MMA fit twice/week, but I'm going to add a third workout at home.  I have enough kettlebells and other such stuff that it is more an issue of making the time.  I intend to do that.
2.  Cycle everywhere.  I'm a big guy (6'4", 260 lbs), and running is pretty tough on my old knees (which spent 10 summers treeplanting).  But cycling is near zero impact and limitless.  I'll be riding the kids to school when the weather turns, and I'll be riding myself everywhere all year round. 
3.  Food.  I've found the 'primal' style diet seems to work for me, and totally controls my acid reflux as well.  So this year I am going to be almost totally committed to it (an occasional glass of wine or bottle of beer might be consumed, but something like once/week).
4.  Ocean swimming.  My neighbourhood is surrounded by beautiful west coast BC beaches (literally in 3 directions) and I can get to about 10 more with a 5 minute bike ride.  I have a wetsuit and the desire, but I haven't yet had the nerve.  When the weather starts to warm up a bit I'm going to go for an ocean swim every Thursday morning.  If I like it I'll add a few more - at least 1 km each swim.  Ocean swimming is a much better workout than the pool, and it hurts my moustache to drive 22km to the pool to do lengths (passing about 60 beaches along the way).

jordanread

« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2015, 04:40:13 AM »
All right, I've got all the new folks added to the tracking post. Glad to have you all.

I have two friends at this gym who have agreed to take me under their bicep and show me the ways of the strong (first session is tomorrow).

Ha! Take you under their bicep. That has got to be one of my favorite quotes this week.

I do have one for swimming, though. There's a great swim between two points on the bay around here that's about a 1.6km (1 mile) in open water. It's often pretty calm but sometimes it can get pretty hectic there, but no matter what there's always supporters at the end point cheering you on and motivating you to swim.

4.  Ocean swimming.  My neighbourhood is surrounded by beautiful west coast BC beaches (literally in 3 directions) and I can get to about 10 more with a 5 minute bike ride.  I have a wetsuit and the desire, but I haven't yet had the nerve.  When the weather starts to warm up a bit I'm going to go for an ocean swim every Thursday morning.  If I like it I'll add a few more - at least 1 km each swim.  Ocean swimming is a much better workout than the pool, and it hurts my moustache to drive 22km to the pool to do lengths (passing about 60 beaches along the way).

Ocean swimming is a bad ass goal. Do either of you have a GoPro, or some other type of underwater camera? That could be awesome. I went down to Pueblo reservoir, and just playing around (trying to get my dogs to swim voluntarily) the footage wound up being pretty cool.

6 pack by summer. 

You sure you want something this easy? I had two 6 packs this weekend. They were delicious.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »
Ocean swimming is a bad ass goal. Do either of you have a GoPro, or some other type of underwater camera? That could be awesome. I went down to Pueblo reservoir, and just playing around (trying to get my dogs to swim voluntarily) the footage wound up being pretty cool.

As it happens I have a couple of GoPros through my business - maybe I'll think about a way to use them on the swim. 

6 pack by summer. 

You sure you want something this easy? I had two 6 packs this weekend. They were delicious.
[/quote]

Well, it is all the 12 packs that have contributed to my lack of a six pack right now.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
I think I've found a routine that I like. A cardio/strength combo that I will try to maintain until the weather turns for the better here on the west coast - then I will likely say goodbye to the gym until mid October. The summer will be dominating by long distance kayaking (might post some GoPro footage, since the topic just came up...LOVE MY GOPRO!), running/hiking, toiling in the garden/orchard...too much to do this Summer to even THINK about gym time.

Friday evening I will post my weekly "regimen" that I hope (barring injury) to carry out until mid-June.

Rocketpj, no "liquid" 6 packs for me until my last day at the gym before Summer - let's call it June 19th. Yes, I am proclaiming "no beer" for Jon Snow until then. This is a big deal. I am fond of beer.

jordanread

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »

As it happens I have a couple of GoPros through my business - maybe I'll think about a way to use them on the swim. 

6 pack by summer. 

Well, it is all the 12 packs that have contributed to my lack of a six pack right now.

Yeah, me too. After my ride home today, I'm going to have a nice delicious hard Ginger Beer, and then cut out everything but water, tea, and coffee for a few months.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
I think I've found a routine that I like. A cardio/strength combo that I will try to maintain until the weather turns for the better here on the west coast - then I will likely say goodbye to the gym until mid October. The summer will be dominating by long distance kayaking (might post some GoPro footage, since the topic just came up...LOVE MY GOPRO!), running/hiking, toiling in the garden/orchard...too much to do this Summer to even THINK about gym time.

Friday evening I will post my weekly "regimen" that I hope (barring injury) to carry out until mid-June.

Rocketpj, no "liquid" 6 packs for me until my last day at the gym before Summer - let's call it June 19th. Yes, I am proclaiming "no beer" for Jon Snow until then. This is a big deal. I am fond of beer.

Having the Alchemist on board has made reducing alcohol much easier. There's no more excuse of needing to have it in the house for her. Combined, in the past month, we've had 2 bottles of champagne, a six pack of beer, and I had three beers one night while on holiday. This is MUCH reduced.

I can't swim, but the kayaking sounds awesome, especially since you don't need to drive anywhere to launch. And gardening is great work as long as you keep the diet tight. Many of the best workouts (clean and pushpress) are modeled after manual labor and the idea of doing so much work (overhead pounds) over so much time.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
Chief, my wife and I are likely going to maintain our "Red Wine Friday's" tradition. A nice bottle of red between us at the end of the work week (for her). She is still working hard, while I no longer do - at this point, I could probably forgo the wine - but she looks forward to it. A couple of glasses of wine a week isn't going to derail my fitness goals any.

It's interesting, though on reflection not really surprising, that my desire for alcohol has been radically reduced with the elimination of the abyss that was my career.

And the kayaking - I keep a couple of them right on the beach during the Summer months. The great thing about the activity is that you get a great upper body workout without even knowing it half the time. As you paddle along you are so busy soaking in the sights - absolute natural splendour - that you don't even notice how hard your muscles are working. Only after you return to your home beach and perhaps rest on a log do you start to notice the quivering of various muscle groups.

I look forward to the exercise involved in gardening - for 25 years I laboured in construction - installing drainage, sanitary systems and the like. I am no stranger to the business end of a shovel. ;)

jordanread

« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
Okay:

No "liquid" 6 packs for me until my last day at the gym before Summer - let's call it June 19th. Yes, I am proclaiming "no beer" for Jon Snow until then. This is a big deal. I am fond of beer.

Having the Alchemist on board has made reducing alcohol much easier. There's no more excuse of needing to have it in the house for her. Combined, in the past month, we've had 2 bottles of champagne, a six pack of beer, and I had three beers one night while on holiday.

All right, fine. I'm going to go all out for this gauntlet (not going to start a new one though). I will specify a new personal goal related to booze and fitness.

Nothing that comes in a six pack until I have a six pack. I said it that way because it sounds good, but I mean anything alcoholic (excepting my post ride beer today). You guys are a bad influence.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Okay:

No "liquid" 6 packs for me until my last day at the gym before Summer - let's call it June 19th. Yes, I am proclaiming "no beer" for Jon Snow until then. This is a big deal. I am fond of beer.

Having the Alchemist on board has made reducing alcohol much easier. There's no more excuse of needing to have it in the house for her. Combined, in the past month, we've had 2 bottles of champagne, a six pack of beer, and I had three beers one night while on holiday.

All right, fine. I'm going to go all out for this gauntlet (not going to start a new one though). I will specify a new personal goal related to booze and fitness.

Nothing that comes in a six pack until I have a six pack. I said it that way because it sounds good, but I mean anything alcoholic (excepting my post ride beer today). You guys are a bad influence.

What defines a six-pack though?  Do you want the visual results of a six-pack?  There are plenty of strong men with a little extra on their stomach who have cores more impressive than those of the skinny guys who just don't eat very much.  If you've never had a (visual) six-pack in your life I'll be impressed if you can pull that off by the end of the year. 

jordanread

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
Okay:

What defines a six-pack though?  Do you want the visual results of a six-pack?  There are plenty of strong men with a little extra on their stomach who have cores more impressive than those of the skinny guys who just don't eat very much.  If you've never had a (visual) six-pack in your life I'll be impressed if you can pull that off by the end of the year.

As far as what constitutes a six-pack, I'm just hoping for enough definition to cast a bit of a shadow, even if I have to get creative with a flashlight.
I will also be impressed if I pull it off, but aim big and all that. When I first changed my diet and lifestyle (including cutting out beer), I hadn't worked out in a long time, and as an experiment to see how big of a difference nutrition made I intentionally didn't work out, but I really started shedding the pounds. I didn't actually get a six pack, but I wasn't working out either, and my stomach got pretty flat. I think I can do it, plus it would be awesome for the before and after pictures.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:21 AM »
If the lighting is JUST RIGHT, I can already see signs of the mythical "6 pack" about to emerge. My wife, disappointingly, isn't so sure. Ah, well...off to the gym now. It's a Shoulders, Chest, Triceps day...plus the usual 10 mile (and dreadfully dull) stationary bike session.

jordanread

« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
If the lighting is JUST RIGHT, I can already see signs of the mythical "6 pack" about to emerge. My wife, disappointingly, isn't so sure. Ah, well...off to the gym now. It's a Shoulders, Chest, Triceps day...plus the usual 10 mile (and dreadfully dull) stationary bike session.

It is all about the lighting for those almost cases. I found this video when trying to find info on any benefits of before and after photos. I am making sure to avoid any of the 'tricks' for my progression photos, but I guarantee you if I get a six pack, I will totally use some of these techniques:

http://youtu.be/mt1eG1g9vNY

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
I'm so inspired by everyone's goals! I always do best when I've got a concrete goal in mind, so here are mine for 2015:
  • Break the 2 hr mark in my next half marathon. (My PR is currently 02:02.23 from Nov 2014.)
  • +1 unassisted chin up. I can do one if I focus on my upper body for a few weeks, but I'd REALLY like to be able to do more than one. Two?....maybe even three?!? Oh dear.
  • Handstand (without a wall!)
  • Develop an at-home yoga routine for when I telework. I almost exclusively work out at my office gym, unless I'm training for a race on the weekends. So when I work from home once a week, I'm a sloth. It'd be nice to get in some yoga on those days.
  • Take a women's boxing class. Wouldn't hurt to spice things up a bit, and there's a nearby gym that offers a no contact class. So why not?
Phew! Time to get cracking.

jordanread

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
I'm so inspired by everyone's goals! I always do best when I've got a concrete goal in mind, so here are mine for 2015:
  • Break the 2 hr mark in my next half marathon. (My PR is currently 02:02.23 from Nov 2014.)
  • +1 unassisted chin up. I can do one if I focus on my upper body for a few weeks, but I'd REALLY like to be able to do more than one. Two?....maybe even three?!? Oh dear.
  • Develop an at-home yoga routine for when I telework. I almost exclusively work out at my office gym, unless I'm training for a race on the weekends. So when I work from home once a week, I'm a sloth. It'd be nice to get in some yoga on those days.
  • Take a women's boxing class. Wouldn't hurt to spice things up a bit, and there's a nearby gym that offers a no contact class. So why not?
Phew! Time to get cracking.

Welcome to the gauntlet! I've got you added.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

I want to see a pic when you make this one! That will be seriously impressive, and take some awesome upper body strength!

I took some "before" pics, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to post them. Did my stomach no favors with the lighting ;) They did help me see LOVE HANDLES! By far the least attractive addition that I would love to get rid of. I'm worried that the core workout and abs I add in at the end of T25 aren't addressing the sides enough, but we will see...

Feeling really unmotivated today. Barely got any sleep between coughing and kids waking up, frustrated because baby is refusing bottles, and so feeling just a bit down today. Now both my kids are sleeping at the same time (not normal) and it's the perfect time to squeeze in a workout, but I think I'm going to nap with them.

(I will work out later this afternoon, I will work out later this afternoon, I will work out later this afternoon!)

Edited to add: I worked out this afternoon! Still on track.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:55:25 PM by Credaholic »

jordanread

« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »

I want to see a pic when you make this one! That will be seriously impressive, and take some awesome upper body strength!

I took some "before" pics, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to post them. Did my stomach no favors with the lighting ;) They did help me see LOVE HANDLES! By far the least attractive addition that I would love to get rid of. I'm worried that the core workout and abs I add in at the end of T25 aren't addressing the sides enough, but we will see...

Feeling really unmotivated today. Barely got any sleep between coughing and kids waking up, frustrated because baby is refusing bottles, and so feeling just a bit down today. Now both my kids are sleeping at the same time (not normal) and it's the perfect time to squeeze in a workout, but I think I'm going to nap with them.

(I will work out later this afternoon, I will work out later this afternoon, I will work out later this afternoon!)

You've got this!! And besides, taking a nap while the kids do sounds like a grand idea. And then your workout partner can join you. After all, it's only 25 minutes. :-)

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Chief, my wife and I are likely going to maintain our "Red Wine Friday's" tradition. A nice bottle of red between us at the end of the work week (for her). She is still working hard, while I no longer do - at this point, I could probably forgo the wine - but she looks forward to it. A couple of glasses of wine a week isn't going to derail my fitness goals any.

I'm throwing my hat into this ring too!   
Adding this to my Resolution/ Challenges/ Goals: No beer, wine or any alcohol until I hit my goal weight & maintain that weight for a full 3 months.  (With the exception of 2 glasses red wine on Friday at the end of my stressful work week.) 

And living in Colorado, I can attest that forgoing craft & micro-brews, that is quite the challenge!!

jordanread

« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

I'm throwing my hat into this ring too!   
Adding this to my Resolution/ Challenges/ Goals: No beer, wine or any alcohol until I hit my goal weight & maintain that weight for a full 3 months.  (With the exception of 2 glasses red wine on Friday at the end of my stressful work week.) 

And living in Colorado, I can attest that forgoing craft & micro-brews, that is quite the challenge!!

What part of CO are you in?

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »

It is all about the lighting for those almost cases. I found this video when trying to find info on any benefits of before and after photos. I am making sure to avoid any of the 'tricks' for my progression photos, but I guarantee you if I get a six pack, I will totally use some of these techniques:

http://youtu.be/mt1eG1g9vNY

So basically I don't need all these difficult resolutions requiring sweat & discipline.  I simply need to stand correctly under better lighting?  SO much easier! Good to know.  Screw it, I'm outta here to go practice my posing! 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:41:32 PM by HappyMargo »

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »

What part of CO are you in?

North of Denver.  Not too far from MMM HQ.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
The only way I'm ever gonna get a six pack...

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
I'm in! I would like to dramatically improve my strength and fitness this year. Goals:

* Regular vitamin consumption
* Go for a walk each weekend day
* Drink a gallon of water a day
* Track my food
* Lose 1 lb/week (on average).
* Reclaim my lunch hours for ME--exercise time or not
* Visit the gym for weights 2x week

jordanread

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »
I'm in! I would like to dramatically improve my strength and fitness this year. Goals:

* Regular vitamin consumption
* Go for a walk each weekend day
* Drink a gallon of water a day
* Track my food
* Lose 1 lb/week (on average).
* Reclaim my lunch hours for ME--exercise time or not
* Visit the gym for weights 2x week
I'll get you added to the tracking post tomorrow. Since this is a year long gauntlet, are you sure you need to lose 52lbs (1lb/week)? Just trying to make sure people are in this for the year.

jordanread

« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »

That should have been it's own post. Way to rock it!!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »
So here's where I'm at as of January 13th:

Kicking at 4'6 3/8. I'm 5'4 tall, so another 10-ish inches to go to reach head height. I'm kicking next to a wall and getting my boyfriend to mark the spot, like how kids measure their growth.

When I "split" my crotch is 6 inches from the ground.

My balance in retire still sucks ass. 2-3 seconds. Fortunately, it's easy to practice - just jump up onto the ball of one foot whenever.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2015, 04:29:31 AM »
I went to the gym for the first time today. Leg day with my two buddies who took me through their exercises and helped out my form. It was hard work (especially squats) but I feel pretty accomplished!

Now off to bed for a year or so.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:56 AM »
I went to the gym for the first time today. Leg day with my two buddies who took me through their exercises and helped out my form. It was hard work (especially squats) but I feel pretty accomplished!

Now off to bed for a year or so.

Nice work! Just make sure you have easy access to a disabled toilet for the next couple of days. You know, the ones with grab rails to drag yourself up from. Because your legs will be incapable of performing this feat for a little bit.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2015, 05:36:57 AM »

If I can manage it, I will certainly take a picture and post! The balance aspect of the handstand is what will probably be the hardest. I have terrible balance and my core muscles need some work. Hopefully the regular yoga will help. That, and practice practice practice! And making an ass of myself in the class exercise room at my gym.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »
OK--taking a selfie while doing a handstand will REALLY be badass!!!

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2015, 07:53:23 AM »
OK--taking a selfie while doing a handstand will REALLY be badass!!!
LOL well I was thinking of taking a still from a video on my iphone. Or even having someone else take the photo. I don't think I can manage a one-handed handstand no matter how much I work at it! :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
This has been a large part of my life for about 4 months now. Probably my least favourite part of my fitness regimen, the exercise bike portion. I am sick of this view...but it has been a GREAT FAT BURNER (I was 235 when I started this journey, now 190)...I will stick with it until June 19th...along with the exercise bike, I will mix in a 10k run on alternating days.  Then weight lifting...phew!

I started all this the very day after I quit my job, back in September. Reaching a high level of fitness was goal #1 on my post-ER "to do" list.

It's great to have company in this journey.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
That should have been it's own post. Way to rock it!!
You are nothing if not an awesome cheerleader, Jordanread! :)

Side/ab workouts have zero relation to love handles. Love handles are fat. You can't lose fat in one particular spot by exercising the muscles below it. Fat is lost generally.

Oh, good to know! That makes me feel more productive regarding my general workouts. I'm excited to see how the weight is doing next time I'm near a scale. I've been thinking lately about buying a scale, but I'm not a huge fan of having one in the house.

Isn't it a great feeling! Keep it up!

If I can manage it, I will certainly take a picture and post! The balance aspect of the handstand is what will probably be the hardest. I have terrible balance and my core muscles need some work. Hopefully the regular yoga will help. That, and practice practice practice! And making an ass of myself in the class exercise room at my gym.

I was imagining that a headstand would be core, and that a handstand would be a lot of arm and shoulder strength, but either way I can definitely see a strong core being essential. Seems a strong core is essential for most things! Video of the attempts would probably be almost as awesome as a picture of your final success ;-)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:07:18 AM by Credaholic »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
Today is one of the very rare days where I am having a hard time motivating myself to get to the gym. Not even an extra cup of strong coffee is rousing me from my current feeling of lethargy. Wife and I ran 10k last night and for some reason my legs hurt more than normal. And today is supposed to be my "legs" weight training day. Ugh....

Now if I could only get some cheese with this "whine". ;)

jordanread

« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
Today is one of the very rare days where I am having a hard time motivating myself to get to the gym. Not even an extra cup of strong coffee is rousing me from my current feeling of lethargy. Wife and I ran 10k last night and for some reason my legs hurt more than normal. And today is supposed to be my "legs" weight training day. Ugh....

Now if I could only get some cheese with this "whine". ;)

I feel you. Did my standard bike ride yesterday, plus squats and pullups, plus the Les Mills HIIT 2 w/ the GF. My legs wish they had the consistency of jelly.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
No gym for me this week.  The flu hit our house like a damn hurricane.  Monday was an absolute mess, yesterday wasn't bad and I'm functional enough to work today (with a little help from my Tylenol friends).  However if I go to the gym it might well kill me, so I'm going to let my body rest until Friday when I ride to the day job.

This weekend will be the first of my 'added' workouts though.  I plan to combine trips to the community centre gym with workouts here at home using my kettlebells and body stuff.  I'll let you know how it goes.