Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212440 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
  • Stick to my workout routine of lifting weights twice a week, and cycling three times a week.
  • Set of unassisted pullups, with palms facing away from me (can already do a set with palms facing toward me)
  • Gain 15 pounds (my current BMI is 17.2). This should not be accomplished by eating junk food.
  • Ride a (standard) century! My longest ride so far has been 52 miles, so a metric century is well within reach.
  • A harder version of the above...ride two centuries back to back! (Ride the Silver comet trail in its entirety, sleep at a hotel, and then ride back home)

I have never been able to gain weight. I have been able to make visible gains in muscle mass in the past, but my overall weight never goes up. And when I started cycling, my leg muscles starting growing considerably, but I lost weight overall.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
The goals I put on my blog were a bit nebulous. Basically eat better and gain muscle mass. I haven't been lifting long enough to have a goal (yet). Just be stronger without injuring myself.

Once the weather warms up I might try barefoot running to see if this solves my spine pain when running.

But the measurable goal I'll give myself is, time away from family allowing, ride a self-supported century. Water refills, potty breaks, and snack breaks allowed as needed, but I'd like to do it as continuous as possible.

I did ~45 miles last year in a straight shot and also did 60 miles in a single day (bonus: was pulling my full body weight). My main limitation will be finding the time away from the family. Once I quit, I'll see if my wife is okay with me taking one Saturday a month to do a really long solo ride to start rebuilding my endurance.

ETA: forgot to say that I'd like to get below 200. Stretch goal: being above 200 is fine, but being shredded is the only excuse for that ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:09:40 PM by Thegoblinchief »

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
I haven't been lifting long enough to have a goal (yet). Just be stronger without injuring myself.

Bodyweight squat, i.e. if you weigh 180, work up to squatting 180.  Squatting should be the #1 goal of everyone that lifts!  It is functional, multi-joint, simple yet complex, stresses your Central Nervous System thereby creating "afterburn," and can be done quick!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
Just thought of a new fitness challenge for myself come Summer. I am wondering how many times in a day I can paddle (kayak) around my island. It takes about 2.5  hours with perhaps one break to stop on a beach to stretch my legs. By the time I finish the circumnavigation I am sufficiently spent - could I push myself to go around a second time? A third? Some twisted part of myself relishes the thought of such a physical test. I think my recent rededication to weight training will be an amazing boost to my paddling endurance. I think I may give a little more attention to my shoulders (which are naturally weak, thanks genetics), abs, lats, and back in preparation for kayaking season.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
I'm in on this with what I was already planning:

Continue with weight loss -try to beat 2014's 40lbs which would put me back in a healthy weight range

Continue eating low carb and lots of fresh vegetables

Walk 15k+ steps 5 time a week, 20k over the summer months.

Continue weight lifting minimum 3xs/week

Run a passing Navy PRT time for my age group  ( I'm thinking about going back in as a reservist) . I'm a bad runner.

Start rock climbing again this spring

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »
Dayum, jordanread!   Way to put it all out there.  Virtual high-five for being so upfront & honest!

There is no doubt you will hit your goals (while inspiring the rest of us to pursue ours too)! 
Thanks for starting this thread & leading the way.

I've got a Half Marathon to do on Saturday.  Should be fun! Then I'll jump right in to my other goals re: strength training (didn't want to begin a new program of weights & plyometrics, risking injury or incredible soreness just a week before the Half.) 
Once the race is done, I'm jumping into Convict Conditioning and serious training to make bike commuting for work (26 miles RT) possible.

Keep up the good work, crew!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread, I think it's great for accountability and motivation, and kudos for putting it all out there! Maybe I'll be brave enough to post pics.

I don't have a yearly goal, other than getting down to 135 lbs (pre-pregnancy weight). But I have a January goal of sticking to the Alpha calendar of Focus T25 to the letter. I started Monday and have 4 days under my belt now, so as long as I complete Friday I'm already 20% of the way to my goal! Woohoo! I got this ;-)

I will likely then do Beta and Gamma, not sure if I'll make myself follow the calendar as rigidly though. I guess my goal with Alpha is to make it enough of a habit that on the days that I can get in a workout, I do.

I'd also like to see some defined abs, and be able to not just touch toes but put hands flat on floor. After I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight, flexibility is probably going to be my biggest focus.

So to sum up:

Complete 5 weeks of Alpha calendar with no missed workouts
Weigh 135 lbs
Have abs!
Touch hands to floor without bending knees

jordanread

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
Had some electrical issues yesterday, so I'll get everyone added today. Glad to see all the participants.

So it's Friday, almost the end of the first full week of 2015. How did everyone do so far?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
Philociraptor
  • <= 15% body fat
  • Rx 4 out of 5 workouts a week (WTF does Rx mean?)
  • Consistently stick with Whole30 diet in January and July
  • Modified paleo diet 28 days/month (see above for exception)
  • 15-30 minutes/day - mobility work

Since you're back, let's remove the snark from the Rx goal, yeah?

jordanread

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
Philociraptor
  • <= 15% body fat

I forgot I added that. And besides, now I know. :-) That part is fixed.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Philociraptor
  • <= 15% body fat

I forgot I added that. And besides, now I know. :-) That part is fixed.
Thank ya!

jordanread

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Thank ya!

Not a problem, and I didn't mean to be snarky, so I apologize for that. I also changed the verbiage to include the July part of the goal. I overlooked that.

If everyone else would take a quick look, and confirm that the goals are good, it would be much appreciated.

jordanread

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »
Oh, and I learned something new today. I always thought a century ride was just the distance, but apparently there is a time limit for it to be considered a real century. A standard century must be completed in 12 hours to 'count'. I think if it takes longer than that, it's just considered a really long relaxing bike ride.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
Thanks for organizing this, Jordan!  Went back and looked at my goals after attempting them in a workout, and I think I'm good.  Bosu squat goal can get knocked out next workout, but not increasing it because I'll take the win since the 7 minute mile and 10 single-leg deadlifts are going to be a challenge. 

Y'all rock!

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
I have learned it's not wise to offer advice where advice is unwanted. But since I am a newbie in the financial/FIRE world, I wouldn't mind giving back where I have a little more expertise: strength and conditioning. If anyone would like to ask questions or have me critique a plan, I would be happy to help.

About me: I'm a CSCS--a strength coach--in charge of employee wellness programming and trainer development at a large university. It's given me the benefit of being able to work with literally a few thousand individuals in some capacity or another, of all ages and ability levels.

I'm also familiar with all the big programs and online resources out there, so if you're starting out, I can help you separate the chaff from the rice when choosing whose "expert" advice you want to follow. I can assure you that "just get up and do something" is not a very good approach, and a lot of the gurus selling things don't know their asshole from their elbow.

Feel free to shoot me any questions in this thread, or via PM if you don't want everyone to see it. I don't have anything to sell, just looking to give back for the help I've received from this site.

jordanread

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
I have learned it's not wise to offer advice where advice is unwanted. But since I am a newbie in the financial/FIRE world, I wouldn't mind giving back where I have a little more expertise: strength and conditioning. If anyone would like to ask questions or have me critique a plan, I would be happy to help.

About me: I'm a CSCS--a strength coach--in charge of employee wellness programming and trainer development at a large university. It's given me the benefit of being able to work with literally a few thousand individuals in some capacity or another, of all ages and ability levels.

I'm also familiar with all the big programs and online resources out there, so if you're starting out, I can help you separate the chaff from the rice when choosing whose "expert" advice you want to follow. I can assure you that "just get up and do something" is not a very good approach, and a lot of the gurus selling things don't know their asshole from their elbow.

Feel free to shoot me any questions in this thread, or via PM if you don't want everyone to see it. I don't have anything to sell, just looking to give back for the help I've received from this site.

Thanks for offering your services, and I'm sure you will be able to help out people in this thread. I agree about the gurus...there is a reason it's an industry. :-) That is why my focus is so much on functional strength, and things I can do without purchasing things.

I will slightly disagree with the "just get up and do something" bit though. I feel that people just starting out can get value from just about anything besides the couch, and the risk of damage doesn't seem to come until a touch later. Granted, my experience is less extensive than yours, so I could be wrong.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
Oh, and I learned something new today. I always thought a century ride was just the distance, but apparently there is a time limit for it to be considered a real century. A standard century must be completed in 12 hours to 'count'. I think if it takes longer than that, it's just considered a really long relaxing bike ride.

I've never ridden a century, over even close to it.  But 12 hours is a relaxing pace at 8 1/3mph.  I'd assume any seasoned cyclist could finish much under this.  The farthest I've ridden is about 30 miles at about a 15mph pace.  And the only problem that prevented me from going further was my ass being sore.  I'd assume ass soreness gets better the more you ride.  Either that or I had an ill fitting bike.

Updated thought: Although I suppose the terrain should be taken into account.  A century in the moutains of Colorado could be different than the relatively flat plains of Minnesota. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
So it's Friday, almost the end of the first full week of 2015. How did everyone do so far?

These are my goals as listed, and my progress:

Lose 41lbs -- Down 4 lbs.
Consistently log caloric intake (goal of slight deficiency most days) -- Logged 9:9 days, average intake for week is appropriately deficient.
Eat primarily low GI foods -- Have met goal 7:9 days.
Determine and execute 5X/week workout plan -- Exercised 5:9 days. Seem to be settling into a routine that alternates days at the gym (strength, cardio) with days at home (yoga, pilates, bodyweight). Need to improve consistency.
Do yoga daily -- 2:9. Need to improve frequency.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
My weight has been hovering around 190 lbs for weeks now. Although it feels and looks like my body fat % is going down (have to get those damn callipers) my weight hasn't budged much. I hope this means that muscle mass gains are starting cancel out the fat loss. Here's hopin'....

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
Completed the first week of Alpha today. Had a busy day, and it was tempting to do today's workouts over the weekend instead, but I squeezed them in around dinner. Wanting to post here and say first week was a success was my motivation!

I took my measurements today for the first time since starting T25. Everything is the same :-/ Don't have a scale, so not sure if weight has budged yet. I feel stronger and more toned though!

jordanread

« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
This is something for everyone to keep in mind as you start. It's also why I did such a long term gauntlet. Let's take a moment to look at the important things to remember from Jon_Snow, Credaholic, and me.

My weight has been hovering around 190 lbs for weeks now. [...] my weight hasn't budged much.

[...]
I took my measurements today for the first time since starting T25. Everything is the same :-/ Don't have a scale, so not sure if weight has budged yet. [...]

We are only a week in, and while the nature of having measurable goals is something that helps with the motivation, and gives us an unequivocal way of defining success, the body adapts, and adapts quickly. This means that weight and body fat varies day to day. You will very rarely find a solid line that perfectly represents the trend. That has a tendency to get some people down, since they focus on the numbers, but I will say that I don't think anyone needs to worry about that, at least not in the short term. Think of the daily market fluctuations. Those can be a bit intimidating, but as Mustachians, it's not really a concern, since we are all about the long term results. So the actual metric that measures success will let us know when we have arrived at our goal, but there is something a touch more important for monitoring the journey:

[...] it feels and looks like my body fat % is going down[...]

[...] I feel stronger and more toned though!

The fact that you are treating your body better, and the fact that there is more that you feel like you can do today than you could yesterday, that slight burn in the muscles as you push them (or in the case of my spinal muscles during bridges, use them), and that slight endorphin rush as you use your body to do things it revels in, all of these things are indicators along the journey. And it looks like everyone who checked in so far is doing awesome!

Getting past the mental hangups is another good sign of a successful journey. I always called it my auto-pilot, the stuff I mindlessly do. It looks like tmac is also getting into a routine, and feeling more comfortable with consistency, even if there is room to improve.

So mad props everyone, and don't forget that everyone here is rooting for you!! You've got this.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »

Thanks for offering your services, and I'm sure you will be able to help out people in this thread. I agree about the gurus...there is a reason it's an industry. :-) That is why my focus is so much on functional strength, and things I can do without purchasing things.

I will slightly disagree with the "just get up and do something" bit though. I feel that people just starting out can get value from just about anything besides the couch, and the risk of damage doesn't seem to come until a touch later. Granted, my experience is less extensive than yours, so I could be wrong.

I believe the value depends on the activity chosen. For example, an overweight sedentary person would get value from walking, but jogging would almost certainly lead to some minor injury very quickly and discourage them. This is something I see happen on a disgustingly regular basis, even among people who aren't overweight. They've selected an activity they were unprepared for.

I have also seen people select activities that, while not necessarily destructive, never pay any dividends toward their goal. An example would be someone who chooses zumba to lose weight. Or an elliptical machine. While it technically may be better than nothing, I've seen tons of people on those ellipticals year after the year, getting fatter in many cases, but never thinner. This also has a lot to do with eating, but you understand my point.

I hink the process should be: select a goal, then select an activity and strategy that will move you consistently towards that goal. The "just get moving" approach may or may not include an appropriate activity given their condition and goal (in fact it may be detrimental), or it may include a good exercise choice but not a good nutritional strategy, which nullifies the work they put it.

Another example is when I see people who were sedentary and unathletic take up crossfit or a similar high-intensity program. If the coach is great, it's fine, but the general CF WODs are too complex, don't reinforce proper movement patterns, focus on work capacity over more fundamental elements, and operate at a very high intensity. Sometimes it may work, but to me that phrase sounds like "if you're not investing, just get up and invest in anything, you'll be better off," when we all know that you should research and choose the investments that are right for your situation, and likely to repay you.

jordanread

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
How do I embed the pic like you did, jordanreed?

You have to have the image uploaded somewhere, and then use the  img tag with the url in between. I have my phone setup to backup all my photos to G+ privately, so I just find the URL of the image and post it there.

\*Awesome knowledge drop.*\

I hadn't thought about that, so thanks for your input. I can definitely see your point. And since you aren't a fan of offering unwanted advice, allow me to invite you to take a look at the goals, and where people are currently based on the information posted, and provide some guidance and explanations. :-) I vote for starting with NICE!, since I have no idea as to evaluate goals based on those metrics.

And holy shit, it's nice to have you here.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
I spent $100 today on some supplements. Not Mustachian I know. But I am very determined to see how fit this 42 year old version of myself can get. I know a well balanced diet can pretty much eliminate the need for supplements - but I don't think I am blessed with the greatest genetics for gaining muscle (a high priority for me) so I view the supplements as a way to compensate for this. Got two giant tubs of whey protien powder and a month supply of multivitamins.

Kudos to those providing photographic documentation of our individual fitness journeys. If I were to provide a shot of myself, it should have been over 50 pounds ago, about 5 months back. Maybe, I will provide an "after" shot - but the thing is, knowing myself, I will probably never be completely happy with the way I look - yeah, actually, don't expect photos of an shirtless MMM Jon Snow here - you will have to be happy with the HBO version. ;)

Ran 5 miles with my wife today - knees feel great so far (this was my big worry). I wouldn't say it's actually becoming easier...but definitely less horrible.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
1) Get down to 8% body-fat before june. Currently sitting at around 13%.
2) Walk 10.000 steps EVERY day, to keep a basic health regime on top of my fitness-goals.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:08:46 PM by Peacefulwarrior »

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
I spent $100 today on some supplements. Not Mustachian I know. But I am very determined to see how fit this 42 year old version of myself can get. I know a well balanced diet can pretty much eliminate the need for supplements - but I don't think I am blessed with the greatest genetics for gaining muscle (a high priority for me) so I view the supplements as a way to compensate for this. Got two giant tubs of whey protien powder and a month supply of multivitamins.

Kudos to those providing photographic documentation of our individual fitness journeys. If I were to provide a shot of myself, it should have been over 50 pounds ago, about 5 months back. Maybe, I will provide an "after" shot - but the thing is, knowing myself, I will probably never be completely happy with the way I look - yeah, actually, don't expect photos of an shirtless MMM Jon Snow here - you will have to be happy with the HBO version. ;)

Ran 5 miles with my wife today - knees feel great so far (this was my big worry). I wouldn't say it's actually becoming easier...but definitely less horrible.

Whey protein and multivitamins will not give you any results you can not get with diet and exercise alone, it will only make it more convenient (easier to bring a protein shake than chicken/salad sometimes). But it won't do much besides that, compared to a diet without supplements in which you're covering all your bases already. Obviously if you're not getting enough protein already taking it as a supplement will give you better results. But don't expect a whole lot on its own. If your genetics sucks that much you will have to work twice as smart and hard than anyone else around you, or start taking steroids which I wouldn't recommend. I'm not saying this to discourage you but to make you avoid wasting months hoping that the supplements will take you places you haven't been able to before without them. They won't.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »
Ran my Half Marathon yesterday.  And my DH is texting our friends & family, "Smidgie crushed her race!"

I was so nervous before-hand.  The friend who traveled to run with me backed out & stayed in bed.  It was tough standing in the Corral for 2 hours in the early morning darkness (freezing cold!!) waiting to start alone (well, really with 32,000 strangers.) 

I almost backed out & returned to my warm car & bed. But I talked my shivering self into staying.  SO GLAD that I did...  Finished the 13.1 miles a full :32 minutes faster than I had anticipated!!!!  I was so far ahead of what I planned that my free "pace band" I made for myself was useless! YAY, me! 

So today my feet & knees are really sore, but I am SO PROUD of myself.  It shows that we are sometimes capable of so much more than we think!  Now, since I am not at home (not the most Mustachian of trips, but very worth it to us) I don't have any of my weight equipment, but I do still have my (very sore) body. Tomorrow I will start to hit my Convict Conditioning work outs!

Everyone keep checking back in here while working toward our goals.  We will amaze ourselves with our progress & results!!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
OK, here are my goals for 2015

1. Get weight down to 125 lbs and maintain (118 would be ideal...)
2. 3-4 workouts weekly (running, video workouts, stair sprints, fastpitch softball games, etc)
3. at least 4 5K races (I'm always happy to have a PR too)
4. more mindful eating (less snacking on junk at work, more veggies/fruit in meals)
5. some equipment-less strength training (reviewing suggestions from folks here; specificity to follow!)

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
Uh oh, thoughts on working out while sick? I've finally caught my kids' cold. I need some nudges from this board to make sure I do T25 tomorrow.

Nancy

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
Jordanread, kudos to you for posting your stats and pic and totally owning this challenge! I always enjoy reading your posts since you're one of the most upbeat/positive/thoughtful Internet people I've come across.

My update: I've successfully incorporated push ups into my daily life, and I've made some definite progress: from one shaky on my knees rep to 11 strong ones.  Just started an easy morning yoga routine with hubs. Cautiously optimistic that we'll keep it up. Sugar has been trickier due to eating out. While I'll keep my goal as is, I have a much more realistic shot at keeping it under 15g of added sugar daily with 50% of the year as absolutely no added sugar.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
HappyMargo, congrats on completing you half marathon! I'm doing my first in April!

A question for you: what was the longest distance you ran in training for the half? The training program I am following seems to promote shorter runs - 7k to 13k distances with one 18k run mixed in. Seems to me we should be getting the body used to running longer distances. But maybe the point of the shorter distances is an attempt to preserve the body prior to the 21k  "big race". Would love your opinion.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
NICE!  it might help to start your own thread if you want specific advice; can't hurt.  Based on your pic, I'd guess you're closer to the 25%, when comparing to these photos:  http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Jon_Snow - I've run 7 half marathons so far, and there is a wall at 9 miles.  My recommendation is to run 10+ miles at least 4 times before your race, and if you can, do a couple 14 milers a couple weeks before.  It's partly psychological, but I always feel better toeing the starting line having done more than the race distance.  As long as you give yourself a good taper, and your long runs really are long, slow runs, not some attempt at keeping your race pace, they provide training that will help you cope better with the race distance. It also gives you a chance to practice your nutrition and hydration strategy, which is something that's less of an issue in shorter races. As far as tapering, usually the weekend before I'll do ~6 miles instead of my long run, and then just do a couple easy runs in the 3-4 mile range on like Tuesday and Thursday before a Saturday race. 

jordanread

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
So...I'm guessing we're all just going to throw our goals out there and not give each other feedback. Not sure that was the only point of this exercise.

Thanks for starting the thread, jordanreed. Good luck with your goals. I'm not sure this thread is going to fit what I'm looking for since I can't even buy feedback by following your lead and posting a pic of my gut - maybe I should start my own thread/journal?
I am in the process of finding some feedback for you, but all of my longer posts are usually done with references and what not. I spent a bit of time looking for a simulation for body measurements because I haven't ever gone as in depth as you did with those. It actually motivated me to take some of those measurements. However, doing that is difficult from my phone, and my office is without electricity since Friday. I will have some good stuff for you tomorrow at the latest. Just keep on rocking.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
Ok, I took some measurements and will need some feedback here. I had assistance but neither of us are experts. We're pretty sure we did the right ones, but we are not confident in the hip measurement (if that is even important for men). We measured my waist at the belly button, which is the fattest part with all the awesomeness of beer and love handles. Apologies in advance for using the better metric system (I'm not in the US right now), but I did the conversions and added them.

Height: ~1.75m/~5'9"
Weight: UNK. I'm probably in the 190s, but I wouldn't be shocked if it is high 180s
Shoulders: 127 cm/50 in
Chest: 106 cm/41.73 in
Waist: 90 cm/35.43 in
Hip?: 91 cm/35.82 in
Bicep: 35 cm/13.77 in
Neck: 39 cm/15 in
Body Fat: 20% ----------> THIS IS ACCORDING TO THE US NAVY CALCULATOR, VERY APPROXIMATE

Does that give anyone an idea of where I am and what my metrics should be? Again, my goal is no more love handles/gut. I really don't trust the Navy's calculator, although I've been told it tends to overapproximate body fat, not under. Does anyone think it is realistic that I am at 20%? If so I only really have to drove ~5%, right? I don't know, I feel like I look higher than that...I feel like I have a lot further to go than 5%, how ever many lbs of fat weight that means. Seriously, just shoot straight - I'm not here for cheerleading, I'm here for accountability. Again, no gut and no love handles is what I want, as well as better overall fitness.

I've attached a headless picture to follow jordanreed's lead somewhat (sorry man, not gonna put my face out there). I apologize in advance for the low quality - it was taken by an old iPod that has seen better days. Please let me know where I should be aiming to reach my goals. Don't worry, I'm posting my picture so that means I'm thick skinned and can take your inputs.

No one really knows if you're currently at 20%, 25% or 30%. And does it really matter? It's just a number. What matters is what you see in the mirror. And what you currently see is far from what you would like to see. Make it your goal to lose around 2 pounds a week until you look like you want to look. Even professionel bodybuilders don't really use these fat-percentages these days. It's useless. Focus on the process, the mirror and the task at hand.

jordanread

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
Ok, I took some measurements and will need some feedback here. I had assistance but neither of us are experts. We're pretty sure we did the right ones, but we are not confident in the hip measurement (if that is even important for men). We measured my waist at the belly button, which is the fattest part with all the awesomeness of beer and love handles. Apologies in advance for using the better metric system (I'm not in the US right now), but I did the conversions and added them.

Height: ~1.75m/~5'9"
Weight: UNK. I'm probably in the 190s, but I wouldn't be shocked if it is high 180s
Shoulders: 127 cm/50 in
Chest: 106 cm/41.73 in
Waist: 90 cm/35.43 in
Hip?: 91 cm/35.82 in
Bicep: 35 cm/13.77 in
Neck: 39 cm/15 in
Body Fat: 20% ----------> THIS IS ACCORDING TO THE US NAVY CALCULATOR, VERY APPROXIMATE

Does that give anyone an idea of where I am and what my metrics should be? Again, my goal is no more love handles/gut. I really don't trust the Navy's calculator, although I've been told it tends to overapproximate body fat, not under. Does anyone think it is realistic that I am at 20%? If so I only really have to drove ~5%, right? I don't know, I feel like I look higher than that...I feel like I have a lot further to go than 5%, how ever many lbs of fat weight that means. Seriously, just shoot straight - I'm not here for cheerleading, I'm here for accountability. Again, no gut and no love handles is what I want, as well as better overall fitness.

I've attached a headless picture to follow jordanreed's lead somewhat (sorry man, not gonna put my face out there). I apologize in advance for the low quality - it was taken by an old iPod that has seen better days. Please let me know where I should be aiming to reach my goals. Don't worry, I'm posting my picture so that means I'm thick skinned and can take your inputs.
I'm about to take some measurements on me, and try out this calculator:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/ideal-body-measurements.html

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »
I actually find that body fat information posted by horsepoor to be useful - though mostly for motivational purposes. I am almost a dead ringer for the guy portraying 20% body fat - thankfully I am not that pasty white though. :) I agree with Peacefulwarrior body fat % is not everything. I will say that the guy portraying 10 -12% body fat is my target body. If I do achieve that, expect pictures to be posted. ;)

If I can eventually bounce between 10 and 15% body fat I will happy with that. Anything below that starts to look freakish - and my wife isn't fond of excessive vascularity.

And thanks for the running tips everyone!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:59:11 AM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
2 quick things for right now. Since I am considering the success of this thread as a separate goal for me (and because I'm such an awesome person and kind of like you all), I now have an extension cord running from my office (without power) to my kitchen (with power) just so that I can get the internet up.

The other thing is for all of you with running goals. I personally am not a fan of running, but I stumbled across this oatmeal comic that everyone in this thread might enjoy: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running. Fight the Blerch!! I'll have some more later.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Jordan, that is one of the best things I've ever seen!

"I run long distances for the worst possible reason: I run to EAT. I punish my body outdoors to atone for my atrocities indoors."

Brilliant stuff...

jordanread

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
Jordan, I can't get that calculator to work for the life of me, probably due to my Internet connection here in Sub-Saharan Africa. Pretty much anything java/flash/etc is dicey at best. Is there any chance you or someone can run my numbers and PM them to me? I'll update my last post with them as goals if you do.

I can run your numbers for you, but I'll need a couple more. Since this apparently takes body composition into account, I need the following numbers:

Wrist size
Ankle size
Head size
Pelvis size
Knee size

For everyone else who's joined in, I will get you added to the tracking post shortly. Welcome!!

jordanread

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
So I've got every new person added to the tracking post. I also went ahead and put my measurements in to the aforementioned calculator, and my 'ideal' measurements came out like so:

That's a wee bit different than I was imagining. The calculation that this form used is based on the idea of the ideal male physique by Steve Reeves. Considering I have to already get pants 4 inches bigger to fit around my quads and keep pockets usable, the additional 4" on my thighs alone makes me wonder. Also, I forgot to change the height, and the numbers for my 5'10" height for legs, neck, arms, thighs, and calves didn't change from my 5'5" height, although the ideal bodyweight jumped up by 15lbs. I'm a bit skeptical. Doing a touch of research on the guy, it turns out he was a world class body builder and actor, but due to a shoulder injury while filming, he kept re-injuring himself doing stunts, and had to retire. That to me says that his idea of 'ideal' physique was based on form over function, which is not what I'm going for. I just started digging through the site that horsepoor posted, and I'm liking that a lot better. I personally am not going to be using the metrics above for a goal.

Uh oh, thoughts on working out while sick? I've finally caught my kids' cold. I need some nudges from this board to make sure I do T25 tomorrow.

Just a bit of a cold? Phfft. :-)

I don't know that I could recommend anything specifically, but I've ridden into work not feeling great and the bike ride actually helped. Considering it's only 25 minutes, I'd say grab your tiny workout buddy, and start in as usual. Congestion might make breathing a bit hard, so start following Tanya when you can't do the entire thing. Oh, and don't forget to "FOCUS!!". You've got this.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

Rule of thumb on working out while sick:
if it's above the shoulders (head cold) go ahead & exercise.  At reduced effort, whatever you can manage, without pushing it.

if the sickness is below the shoulders (lungs, congestion, productive cough, etc.) then let your body rest.  Don't apply additional stress.

Do what works best for you.  It's okay to take your foot off the accelerator when sick.  These resolutions & goals are meant for the YEAR of 2015.  Don't burn yourself out in the first month!  Take care of yourself to feel better! 
No beating yourself up if illness forces you to take a breather to re-group!

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »

Peacefulwarrior, you are absolutely correct. The only thing I'm looking for is metrics. I've found - and this is for me personally - that fuzzy goals like "look better" don't work. This is especially true since

1) we look in the mirror all the time and don't notice changes
2) we are our own worst critics, especially when it comes to fitness/bodies
3) without some type of hard # to measure progress, humans can be derailed quite easily (definitely my experience).

I agree! You need some kind of measurement. Weight and weekly pictures would be my choice. Personally I use a withings wifi weight that I just step on every morning and then it sends the weight, body fat % etc. to my iPhone automatically, and I get a few nice charts that spands years back now. Pretty useful. The body fat percentage is probably not correct at all, but if it's just equally incorrect every time it is useful in the sense that it should be going down, not too slow and not too fast. The reason for my former post was just that a lot of people in the the beginning get fed up with details that doesn't matter - can spend hours on message boards discussing whether they are currently 16% or 17%. So it was just a helping hand for you guys to not end up down that road when what all of us really wants is results. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
Hi gang, sorry it's been so long to reply... The Half Marathon I ran was Disney & we just spent the day at Universal Studios.  VERY UN-Mustachian, but we've been planning this for a full year with with Family & Friends. Having an amazing time!

NICE!-- wish I had specific feedback to give you.  Posting pics is brave & inspiring.  I agree that having specific measurements & photos documenting progress are very motivating.  I need to take some "before" snaps too.  Doubt I'll be brave enough to post mine though. :blush:

JonSnow-- horsepower gave some great pointers for running races of length.  For me, training up to 10-mile runs several times work for Half, for Full Marathon I prefer 18-20 miles.  I've never felt the need to over-run the distance, but 14 miles not only builds up endurance but also confidence in the Half. 

Keep your Long Runs to just once a week.  And take them SLOW.  Maybe a 1:30 to 2 minutes per mile slower than normal pace.  Your shorter mid-week runs can be done faster.  You're already up to 5 miles, so off to an excellent start!    Patience.  And pay attention to any niggling pains (don't ignore aches that can grow into full-blown issues!)   And remember to ENJOY the process!  :-)

Horsepoor-- thanks for that body fat link!  I'm currently at 29% body fat & am shaped exactly like the 30% model.  Have to admit running with 36-D's is a pain! No lie.  DH thinks I look nice, but I can't wait to pare my % down to a smaller (less bouncy) size. 

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
jordanread-- Haha!  Embrace the Blerch!  Have always loved that comic, lots of wisdom stuffed into the Blerch.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »

Rule of thumb on working out while sick:
if it's above the shoulders (head cold) go ahead & exercise.  At reduced effort, whatever you can manage, without pushing it.

if the sickness is below the shoulders (lungs, congestion, productive cough, etc.) then let your body rest.  Don't apply additional stress.

Do what works best for you.  It's okay to take your foot off the accelerator when sick.  These resolutions & goals are meant for the YEAR of 2015.  Don't burn yourself out in the first month!  Take care of yourself to feel better! 
No beating yourself up if illness forces you to take a breather to re-group!

FWIW, my high school distance track coach would state at least once a year that moderate exercise boosts your immune system, while a sedentary lifestyle or extreme workouts that leave your body using much of its resources to recover will leave you less protected from disease.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
I walked for 40 mins today. I am doing an 18.5 min mile, down from 20 mins, my goal is 15 mins or better. So progress.  I also did 20 kettlebell swings with a 3 lb weight. I realize this isn't much in the scheme of things but it is for me.  Looking forward to getting fit in 2015.

jordanread

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
I walked for 40 mins today. I am doing an 18.5 min mile, down from 20 mins, my goal is 15 mins or better. So progress.  I also did 20 kettlebell swings with a 3 lb weight. I realize this isn't much in the scheme of things but it is for me.  Looking forward to getting fit in 2015.

It's your scheme of things, which is all that matters. And, if it makes you feel better (or if you are the competitive type), you've beat my personal record by 20 kettlebell swings with 3lbs.

Granted, I'm a shitty comparison, but there you go. Way to rock it!!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2015, 05:54:46 AM »
I've ran into a problem I think, not a big one though. Last week, I did leg presses at gym, more weight than I normally do. When I got home I felt fine but for about 4 days after that, I was dead tired. Yes, I only got about 4-5 hours of sleep those nights, but even when I slept the entire day Saturday, I was still tired enough to sleep at night that day.  I read online it isn't uncommon to feel really tired after leg workouts but is there any "recovery" methods that is agreed on working well?

I've been told to try a foam roller? Not sure how that would help, don't have one either to test. I could get more sleep also, this I can do. Internet threads seem to point at random vitamins/supplements. Since I somewhat trust the MMM community more than random google pages, does anyone else have/had this problem and what was their solution? I'll also use less weights as well, but I was doing my own body weight in weights, figured that if I could walk all day, my legs wouldn't have problems pushing body weight for 30 minutes. This week I'll lower the weight and do less time. Still trying to figure out a good routine for myself since I'm still fairly new to working out.

forgot to post, but same as the 2014 thread, I'll try to lose 15 pounds this year, I'm at a sad 225lbs though. I've gone at least 3 days a week since I started at gym (outside of 2 weeks for vacation) so I'd like to keep that going. I try for 5 days a week but I get tired and skip a day or two some weeks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:01:32 AM by eyem »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »
I've ran into a problem I think, not a big one though. Last week, I did leg presses at gym, more weight than I normally do. When I got home I felt fine but for about 4 days after that, I was dead tired. Yes, I only got about 4-5 hours of sleep those nights, but even when I slept the entire day Saturday, I was still tired enough to sleep at night that day.  I read online it isn't uncommon to feel really tired after leg workouts but is there any "recovery" methods that is agreed on working well?

I've been told to try a foam roller? Not sure how that would help, don't have one either to test. I could get more sleep also, this I can do. Internet threads seem to point at random vitamins/supplements. Since I somewhat trust the MMM community more than random google pages, does anyone else have/had this problem and what was their solution? I'll also use less weights as well, but I was doing my own body weight in weights, figured that if I could walk all day, my legs wouldn't have problems pushing body weight for 30 minutes. This week I'll lower the weight and do less time. Still trying to figure out a good routine for myself since I'm still fairly new to working out.

forgot to post, but same as the 2014 thread, I'll try to lose 15 pounds this year, I'm at a sad 225lbs though.

If you've are new to working out and have upped the frequency of your workouts it could be your diet. It might be that you are not eating enough food around your workouts.  I would suggest checking out Eat to Perform It has some good articles, theories about diet and exercise, and calculators for calroie intake based on how much work you are doing..etc

Foam rolling is good, personally I don't think it will do anything for your energy levels.  I feel similarly about supplements, except maybe protein and creatine.  But again I would suggest eating properly for the amount work you are doing before you invest in supplements.

Also, get more sleep on a regular basis :).  Working out tears your body down, eating properly and sleeping repairs it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:09:41 AM by Cromacster »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »

More sleep for sure!  4-5 hours isn't enough anyway, add in an extra stress your body has to work to repair, and you might need more like 9 hours of sleep.  Sometimes I joke that deadlifting is named that because I always feel dead tired the next day. Heavy kettlebell swings do the same thing to me. If you're not horrendously sore, I'd suggest trying the same weight again, but make sure you're sleeping plenty the next night or two after the workout, and that your nutrition is dialed in (good protein right after the workout, nutritious stuff all around, hydration etc.), and see if it's better.  The upside is great sleep!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!