Author Topic: Am I losing my job today?  (Read 3981 times)

max9505672

• Bristles
Am I losing my job today?
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
I learned this morning that the company I work for is ''restructuring'' for financial reasons (as always) and 10% of the employees are going to lose their job this week. And this afternoon, I have a meeting with my working team where I expect they will announce the cuts.

Being the newest and the one with the least amount of experience in the team, I don't feel too secure about this... On the other hand though, I am the one with the lowest salary, so I don't really know what to expect...

I feel kind of special right now. I'm not really scared of losing the job because I don't think I would care that much (obviously I prefer to keep it). The atmosphere in the office is very tense and borderline chaotic. People don't know what to expect and are on their toes.

I just wanted to share this now and update through the day.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:53:41 AM by max9505672 »

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
Re: Am I losing my job today?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »
Layoff days are always stressful for most people.  I wouldn't expect much work to get done around there today.

I used to work at a large government contractor.  Layoff day came, and they chose a bad way to accomplish it. You're working along, then your manager, an HR rep, and security showed up at your desk with an empty box.  This went on for 3 days. 

Same company about 2 years later.  They called everyone to one of the two large conference rooms.  We didn't know why.  HR rep finally came in and said, "if you are in this room, you are not being let go."  I was bummed to be in that room, because the layoffs came with a severance package.  But it was a better way to deal with a mass layoff.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
We recently had a like 3-5 people laid off.  They had a big meeting to tell everyone in the afternoon but they had told the impacted people earlier in the day so everyone already knew by the time the meeting started.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
Who knows?!  The selected individuals have already been identified. Don't stress about it because there is nothing you can do.

I would go into ultra savings mode just in case you do get laid off.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
I got the confirmation I'm not being laid off.

I'm obviously glad I still have my job, but not too optimistic about the future...

The projects here aren't going well, the company loses money, the bosses lay off people to (in my opinion) cover their job and justify to their management, then the projects are going even worse because less employees with experience, company loses even more money on those projects, and the wheel keeps on turning. Short term vision with short term savings on salaries vs. long term vision with better performance on projects in my opinion.

Obviously, I understand that when the company isn't doing good, the management has to do something and this is different for each company and each situation. I'd like to believe that it was the best decision for the company and not for their own jobs, but I'm skeptical. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

At the end of the end, I might be looking at other options sooner that I thought I'd have to do it.

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Glad to hear you made it through with your job intact. These things can really be an eye opener for those that stay on. Good luck with your decision

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
Ai, there are few things uglier than the mood of a company after layoffs. I often wonder if the people who make these calls really understand what they're doing to morale and loyalty.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
Who does this the day before Thanksgiving?

Seriously, what would it have cost them to wait until Monday? On a Monday, people can take action and at least have hope. What a total chickenshit move!

Get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Companies that pull this kind of crap do not deserve to have good employees.

It's kinda like knowing the person you're dating was abusive in their last relationship, but (magically) thinking it won't happen to you. Get gone, asap.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »

Seriously, what would it have cost them to wait until Monday? On a Monday, people can take action and at least have hope. What a total chickenshit move!

Get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Companies that pull this kind of crap do not deserve to have good employees.

It's kinda like knowing the person you're dating was abusive in their last relationship, but (magically) thinking it won't happen to you. Get gone, asap.
Sorry, I should have mentioned I am in Canada. Thanksgiving isn't celebrated this week here.

Still, those people might have a harder time this Christmas.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:26:52 AM »

Sorry, I should have mentioned I am in Canada. Thanksgiving isn't celebrated this week here.

At least they didn't just spend a ton of money on gifts, food and holidays. Now they have the holiday period to get some time to reflect.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

My company restructured last year and made people redundant on their first day back in January.

Those employees told HR they would have preferred to know before Christmas so they could have used the time off to start job-hunting.

So this year when they laid people off they did it this week, a month before Christmas.

Unsurprisingly, it still sucks for those involved.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
companies should switch to a fiscal year that runs 7/1 through 6/30. that way, they can lay everyone off right before Fourth of July weekend (or, yes, Canada day), and the laid off people can celebrate being part of enlightened, western countries with vibrant economies that should make finding a new job a little easier.