Author Topic: Start Your New Years "Resolution", One Month Early!  (Read 2961 times)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Start Your New Years "Resolution", One Month Early!
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
I'm selfishly making this thread because I need some accountability over the holidays =P

So what better way to hold myself accountable then by seeking others to get in on the action?

Before I get to my own goal(s), I want to clarify that I don't necessarily believe in "resolutions", and that it's simply a way of not putting off till tomorrow what we can start today.

My own struggle this autumn has been with weight gain after starting a new job, and becoming WAY less active due to its sedentary nature.

I went from 195 lbs on 9/10/2019 all the way up to 214.4lbs on 11/30/2018

I cant see myself going up to 220+ by January 1st if I don't make a mindful change today.

So anyone else with plans to change their habits in the New Year, I challenge you to join me today/tomorrow.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Start Your New Years "Resolution", One Month Early!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
Last year my resolution, after a crazy difficult and stressful 2017, was to have a calm and drama-free 2018. That was pretty much à failure with me getting a new job in a different industry and our childcare situation falling through twice.

I’d like to resolve to have a quiet and calm 2019, but I think that would be a foolish dream.

I resolve to bike to work as much as possible and focus on exercise in addition to that whenever I can squeeze it in (running in particular ).

I resolve to spend more time being thoughtful about what we really want in life and exploring alternatives such as reduced work hours, moving temporarily, sabbatical, etc.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:36:27 AM »
Woohoo!

I'm on day 3 so far, and haven't veered off course.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
How funny, I saw this website (below) through a link to one of the walker’s sites on frugality (someone in these forums posted it); this challenge really resonated with me as something fun, so I didn’t wait. I started on Thanksgiving, and now I’ve already walked 33 miles!

Check it out, I’m not in the U.K. but I also joined their FB group and love all the pics they post. And I’ve learned what a bimble is. :)

https://www.walk1000miles.co.uk/home

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »
For me its simple. My weight is fine i took care of that 4 years ago and have kept it off but I would like to cleanup more what I eat. So my goal is to first try and cook a few meatless meals a week to start and I will add goals as I go

Coloradoskibum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
I'm selfishly making this thread because I need some accountability over the holidays =P

So what better way to hold myself accountable then by seeking others to get in on the action?

Before I get to my own goal(s), I want to clarify that I don't necessarily believe in "resolutions", and that it's simply a way of not putting off till tomorrow what we can start today.

My own struggle this autumn has been with weight gain after starting a new job, and becoming WAY less active due to its sedentary nature.

I went from 195 lbs on 9/10/2019 all the way up to 214.4lbs on 11/30/2018

I cant see myself going up to 220+ by January 1st if I don't make a mindful change today.

So anyone else with plans to change their habits in the New Year, I challenge you to join me today/tomorrow.

After going to the gym the day after Thanksgiving and not being able to find a treadmill, I was actually thinking about starting my New Years Resolution a little early and not waiting till January 1. Then I saw your post. Thanks for the motivation to make it happen early and the kick in the pants I needed! I love the ambition!

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
How funny, I saw this website (below) through a link to one of the walker’s sites on frugality (someone in these forums posted it); this challenge really resonated with me as something fun, so I didn’t wait. I started on Thanksgiving, and now I’ve already walked 33 miles!

Check it out, I’m not in the U.K. but I also joined their FB group and love all the pics they post. And I’ve learned what a bimble is. :)

https://www.walk1000miles.co.uk/home

I love this! That's a reasonable goal with just a bit of commitment. I may do this myself.

I'd also like to get back into a yoga class once a week. I've been putting it off, so maybe this will be the push I need to just go ahead and do it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
Join me folks!

On day 5 and I'm slowly getting used to my new eating habits.

Implemented intermittent fasting and have been hitting the gym consistently.

Weight is at 211.5 (I use a 7 day rolling average). So down 2.9 lbs Since the morning of the 30th. Tomorrow is Hanukkah, so that will be a good amount of food and libation. We are also going to a Christmas party on Saturday night. Intermittent fasting is a great way to be able to enjoy social eating while still controlling caloric intake in a big way. 

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
Posting to follow.

I think this is a fantastic idea.  There's nothing about January that makes it the only time to make positive life changes. I have two major goals I'm working toward:

1) Cut down waste, especially plastic waste:  buy less food that comes in plastic, reuse whatever plastic comes into my possession as long as possible.  In addition to improving my environmental impact, I think this will also improve eating habits.  I've slipped back into eating outside of the office maybe once or twice a week, and that has to stop.  Packaged foods, especially processed meats, should stop altogether too.  There's also the matter of buying more nuts, beans, and other stuff from bulk bins with our existing glass containers, but before we do that, we need to eat through our stockpile of food.  There's a plethora of benefits that come with this one, but waste as a moral failing really helps clarify this for me.

2) Be more active:  The health impacts of a desk job are real (almost typed "death job"; hell of a Freudian slip there!).  Just this morning, I assembled an underdesk elliptical and I'm using it right now.  My endurance is for shit right now, and that needs to change.  Also need to work in weight training.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
Another fellow Resolution-hater here, I'm in as well! I'm not going to 100% commit to the new diet yet with all the travel and family time coming up, but I think I could be 90% compliant pretty easily. Weighed in the Saturday after Thanksgiving at 190.3 lbs. At 5'7", my "ideal" bodyweight is somewhere around 145 lbs according to a few formulas, but I'll be happy to get back down around 170 lbs. Using the RP Diet Template for Fat Loss. Let's do this!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 04:58:09 PM »
Can I join?

I was hoping that, with some help of magic, our house would be in order by now. We have been working on this for a while, and we have made progress, but there is a lot left. We have mainly been decluttering/getting rid of things we no longer need/want/use but lately we have also tried to move towards how we want the house to be and function.
So resolution for 2019, starting now, is to continue this journey, and to create a good home for ourselves and for our boys, who now need more space and possibilities.

Also, I want to bring lunch to work more often. I will work in the office on Friday, and then for two full weeks until Christmas, not sure what my goal is as I don't know how my workload will be for those two weeks. Will make a plan on Friday.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »
I actually started this as well on 1 December after noticing that I completely ruin myself ever December on food and spending money and I do the least amount of exercise. So screw that! This time I’m starting in December and determined to start 2019 in a strong position.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »
1000 miles.....I’m still walking! Today just completed the 20th mile to hit goal in the first week of Dec to keep me on track!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:52:05 AM by Bean05 »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
1) Get our 2018 taxes done by Feb 15, 2019.
2) Get our finances set up in Quicken and keep them up-to-date all year long.
3) Get Rental #4 done by 31-Jan.
4) Actually exercise on a regular basis. 

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
1) Cut down food waste and transition to a once every two weeks shopping schedule.  My food bills are embarrassingly high by Mustachian standards for two people, and I want to transition to a more plant based diet.
2) Sign up for exercise classes at the town center.  Expensive, but I exercise more frequently with external accountability and am trying to be more outgoing in expanding my social circle.
3) Maintain and keep a personal journal to track progress towards those goals.
4) Buy no clothes 2019 (sole exception: shoes if I end up getting married.)
5) No online negativity (politics, news, negative subreddits, etc.)

In previous years I've tried quantity goals (read x number of books, knit x number of things) and while they have encouraged me to do more of those wanted activities, failing to meet them was demotivating.  This year I'm going to do time based goals--did I spend x hours a week on wanted activity?  We'll see if that works better for me.

I'm working on chowing down our fridge before we go on our Christmas vacation, with a plan to restock on the new schedule afterwards.  Already on goals 3-5, and researching which exercise studio for 2.