Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 315223 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #1350 on: March 25, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »
I can understand wanting the protection commuting to work on a Pinarello!

Kinda kills the light weight fun of the bike though.  :P

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #1351 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
It'll be made of carbon for sure :-)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #1352 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
We ordered a bike just before everything started to shut down - today we got notice that it's in, and will be built to pick up on Friday.... no just please snow snow go away I'd love to be able to ride it home :)

New bike day, n+1... so not mustachian (although this might be the one that convinces us to get rid of the car we haven't driven since November...)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #1353 on: March 31, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
Sports Basement is offering 30% everything on their online store: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/

... because sometimes a Mustachian needs a Wahoo KICKR.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1354 on: April 01, 2020, 03:53:27 AM »
Sports Basement is offering 30% everything on their online store: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/

If I was riding more regularly as opposed to running, I'd be seriously considering a Kickr or another smart trainer.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1355 on: April 01, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »

If I was riding more regularly as opposed to running, I'd be seriously considering a Kickr or another smart trainer.

You would also have to change your username to bikerunbike.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
« Reply #1356 on: April 01, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »

I tested it last night, it's a big improvement over a standard turbo trainer. The variation in resistance makes it easier to ride longer and it's closer to being out on the road. I actually have to downshift(in whatever mode I'm using) to go uphill.

There's also a mode where you can recall outdoor rides that you've already done from a Wahoo Elemnt bike computer, so you wouldn't need to have a monthly Zwift subscription to utilize the smart functions.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1357 on: April 08, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »
UGH I'm so annoyed! I am cleared to start trying for normal range of motion with 90 degrees expected in about 2 weeks. So, I was like perfect excuse to buy a bike trainer since I can't go to the PT clinic and gyms are all closed. But the Wahoo Snap is sold out everywhere and backordered for two months. Should have sprung for the deal that was posted here last week. I thought it would be longer before I was cleared to try to ride. :( :( :( :( Called every LBS and found one with the Saris M2 on order set to arrive next Friday, so I guess I'll settle for that one.

Hope everyone is staying safe & finding a way to get their biking fix!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »
UGH I'm so annoyed! I am cleared to start trying for normal range of motion with 90 degrees expected in about 2 weeks. So, I was like perfect excuse to buy a bike trainer since I can't go to the PT clinic and gyms are all closed. But the Wahoo Snap is sold out everywhere and backordered for two months. Should have sprung for the deal that was posted here last week. I thought it would be longer before I was cleared to try to ride. :( :( :( :( Called every LBS and found one with the Saris M2 on order set to arrive next Friday, so I guess I'll settle for that one.

Just bike outside. It's typically quite easy to maintain social distancing on a bicycle. Of course, I've only gone out a couple of times just to bike on days that I haven't been actually commuted so far.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »

Just bike outside. It's typically quite easy to maintain social distancing on a bicycle. Of course, I've only gone out a couple of times just to bike on days that I haven't been actually commuted so far.

Oh I would if I could. I'm rehabbing a broken kneecap, need a couple months before outside is an option & going to the PT clinic isn't a great plan right now either. So cobbling together my home recovery gym instead.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1360 on: April 29, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
Anybody here have experience with a bakfiets/cargo bike? Any recs, cautions, things you would do differently?

Some context: family is growing in August and I'm looking for a good way to carry baby (I'll probably wait for at least 6 months for safe helmet wearing) and any cargo simultaneously. I've thought about getting a trailer but they don't feel as safe to me. It just seems way too easy for a distracted driver to not see the trailer, whereas in a bakfiets hitting your kid means hitting your center of mass.

On the other hand the roll cage on a trailer offers protection. *shrug* Any thoughts?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1361 on: April 30, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »
I used a trailer with our son when he was very young, and actually felt it was safer than other options.  With a child trailer I found that cars give you a wider berth.  It's lower to the ground, so no concerns of the kid dropping any distance and hitting his head.  The trailer is only a foot behind your bike.  A car that hits a trailer you're towing is going to hit your rear wheel and wipe you out on your bakfiet too, so not sure if there's any real safety benefit there.  The trailer that we had, I could actually roll it upside down and our son would stay in the middle safely strapped into the seat (just upside down), so there was actually a fair amount of protection.

One thing I found though, was that when my son was very young putting a helmet on his head was causing a lot of problems.  The helmet was too heavy, and then when we went over bumps his head bounced up and down too much and he didn't like that.  By the time he was two this stopped being so much of a problem, but before that I had to strap a car kid's seat inside of the trailer and forgo the helmet.  YMMV though.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #1362 on: April 30, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
We got a used bakfiet when I was pregnant with my third. We rode him sitting in the box in a carseat when he was a newborn - 9 months. At 9 months he transitioned to a rear bike seat with helmet combo.
I could fit the older two and the car seat and an older kids bike in the box of the bakfiet - and could carry diaper bag, and picnic on the rear rack. They are lovely for the kids, the love being in front and are easily protected from the weather :)

I struggled biking up hills - our bakfiet was imported from the Netherlands and definitely geared for flat roads and it's heavy. The hinged steering does take some practice to get used to (looking farther down the road helps). They have a long wheel base, so maneuvering in your neighbourhood around pedestrian gates might be difficult... they are hard to lift fully loaded over square curbs... you need curb cuts!

We have also carried a baby in a trailer, using one of these:  https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-trailers/melia-baby-safety-seat/melia-baby-safety-seat-0-9-months/

My favourite cargo bikes are longtails (ie extracycle), they won't fit a baby until they are about 9 months though as they have to go in a bike seat. They are geared well for load and hills, and maneuver closer to a real bike. Having the kids behind you is a struggle, but you can still talk to them better than if they are in a trailer - and they don't get as bored. They are not however protected from the weather like in a bakfiet or trailer. I found the longtail to be the best in winter - pulling trailers through snow is difficult, and we have not ever tried our bakfiet with studs in the winter. Although I have a friend that rides her (e-assist) box bike all winter long.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1363 on: April 30, 2020, 12:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. My experiences are all colored by getting hit pretty catastrophically last summer. My therapist tells me that visualizing how bad it would have been if I'd had a small fragile human with me is unhealthy so I'm trying to research this without letting my brain obsess over the worst case scenario, heh.

It seems like in case of impact, the trailer is safer because they've got that roll cage. Bike mounted seats are more fun for kids but have an increased fall risk + no impact protection. Bakfiets/buckets offer a little protection and are fun.

I think I'm leaning towards trailer + carseat, then bucket when they're a little older.

@Kmp2 I looked up the longtails...so cute!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #1364 on: April 30, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
Good luck Dee, tackling anxiety is difficult especially with your kids. I'm at the stage where I wish I could keep my kids on my bike (whichever the option)  forever... because watching them learn to ride on the road with traffic is definitely a heart outside your body moment. I wish I couldn't obsess over that worst case scenario!

It has definitely made me a better driver though.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1365 on: May 01, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »
I commute on a longtail and there's another commuter in the work bike cage with a box bike. We've chatted and both of us have noticed that we get a lot more room from cars on our cargo bikes than we ever did with a trailer. My cargo bike is taller and just BIG compared to my regular bike so it's a lot more visible than I realized when I bought it.

I'm lucky to have a shop that specialize in transport and family biking in my city, so I could try out a ton of different options.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: May 01, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
I don't have personal experience with cargo bikes, but I found MMM from the blogroll of Hum of the City. Great blog (now mostly inactive now that the kids are old enough not to be transported by parents) about family biking in San Francisco. Great reviews of various cargo bikes from a family biking in a very hilly place perspective (again a bit dated - last review was January 2017). If I had kids, I'd definitely get a cargo bike!

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1367 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:01 AM »
Hi y’all!  Essentially a biking newb here- haven’t rode a bike since wandering around my neighborhood as a kid.  ...

Well, it took 19 months, several practices, multiple failed attempts (always something that I would need to be home/elsewhere quickly for), taking up an exercise routine so I can pair that routine back by way of biking to work, nice weather, and a pandemic to clear out the traffic and office... but here I am.

Thanks to all the other people who posted after their first time to get me over that final mental barrier this morning when I was telling myself literally anything would be smarter than biking in. 

I forgot my glasses :)  (I'll be okay)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1368 on: May 14, 2020, 06:40:39 PM »
Hi y’all!  Essentially a biking newb here- haven’t rode a bike since wandering around my neighborhood as a kid.  ...

Well, it took 19 months, several practices, multiple failed attempts (always something that I would need to be home/elsewhere quickly for), taking up an exercise routine so I can pair that routine back by way of biking to work, nice weather, and a pandemic to clear out the traffic and office... but here I am.

Thanks to all the other people who posted after their first time to get me over that final mental barrier this morning when I was telling myself literally anything would be smarter than biking in. 

I forgot my glasses :)  (I'll be okay)

Congratulations!
Be sure to check back in 2 weeks when you're fully addicted to those endorphins ;)

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #1369 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:34 PM »
I have moved closer to work (6 miles away) and bought a bike. Next week I will bike to work at least one day. I’ve been building up my stamina and also my backside (ouch! A bike seat is no comfy couch) and I’ve gone up to 8 miles so far in one ride. The route is mostly on a bike path, with a few busy street intersections. I think it will take me about 50 minutes to bike to work each way on day one. I’ll check back in next week after my ride.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2020, 11:58:12 PM »
Nice work to both newbies! You'll get over the butt soreness the more frequently you ride.

For me it took several months to overwrite my mental instinct that biking was "hard" and driving would be easier. I often promised myself I could bike as slow as I wanted, as long as I got out there. But my perspective did eventually shift, and my life is way better for it. Especially these days as I'm spending more time at home, biking is the best way I know to dissipate cabin fever.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1371 on: May 19, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »
My area has an annual May Is Bike Month celebration of cycling. COVID-19 restrictions have cancelled all physical gatherings, but there's still online interaction and solo rides. I usually up my cycling a bit for May, but with COVID-19 restrictions limiting other activities, more time is available for cycling!. My goal is to ride 500+ miles this May - most days I'm riding 1.5-2 hours.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #1372 on: June 24, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »
Ahhhh, I've run two errands by bike this week and its been FABULOUS!

Now that we aren't doing 1/month big shops, to limit contact... I went out specifically for milk, cream, and a few veggies. I use to love heading to store by bike for an item or two a few times a week - an excuse to bike more than anything else.... and the other errand was to our community center.

I really miss my commute (recreational biking doesn't fit well into our days), I'm looking forward to daycare, school, work commutes - but those look a long way off still.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1373 on: August 09, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
Ahhhh, I've run two errands by bike this week and its been FABULOUS!

Now that we aren't doing 1/month big shops, to limit contact... I went out specifically for milk, cream, and a few veggies. I use to love heading to store by bike for an item or two a few times a week - an excuse to bike more than anything else.... and the other errand was to our community center.

I really miss my commute (recreational biking doesn't fit well into our days), I'm looking forward to daycare, school, work commutes - but those look a long way off still.

Same! Since our bike commute has been eliminated by COVID (we'll be WFH until at least March of next year, but my money is on June 2021 at the earliest) our opportunities to bike have also been more limited. In an effort to get more use out of our bikes we picked up a bike trailer on Craigslist for $40, and spent about $25 on couplers to attach them to our bikes. Did our first grocery run today and it worked great!

The fabric on the floor of the trailer needs some patching, but in the meantime we slid a couple of corrugated plastic yard signs on it which seems to be working pretty well to reinforce it. The cover also has some big tears that need to be patched, I'm thinking of getting some Tarp Tape or something similar to patch them up. All in all, worth the $65 or so we've paid to get it working!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1374 on: August 10, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
So here's a basic question. I know a bike helmet is only good for one collision. Is it still good if it has a clumsy owner who regularly drops it from waist height onto concrete?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1375 on: August 11, 2020, 07:48:46 AM »
So here's a basic question. I know a bike helmet is only good for one collision. Is it still good if it has a clumsy owner who regularly drops it from waist height onto concrete?

It's hard to say.  The foam in a bike helmet is designed to protect in a single crash.  Dropping it from waist height onto concrete can cause the foam to crack/compress under the plastic shell (where you can't see it).  It's possible that the helmet is perfectly fine, but it's also possible that it's compromised.

Given that you can get a new helmet for as cheap as 20$, I'd be inclined to just do that.  If you can't do this for some reason, at the very least I'd carefully go over the inside of the helmet looking for cracks, then gently press on the plastic shell and try to feel for hidden indents underneath (indicating that compression has taken place).  If you find either, then toss the helmet.  Even if the helmet survives one (or two drops), if this is a regular thing, then you should buy multiple helmets and get used to throwing them out.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
« Reply #1376 on: August 28, 2020, 01:08:14 PM »
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/ is having a 25% off sale on Pearl Izumi clothing (Ends September 7th, 2020)
Check it out here: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search?sale=pisft

I've had good experiences with PI stuff, so I bought two pair of their $38 bike shorts: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/pearl-izumi-mens-escape-quest-shorts?sg=1
(+ $29 jersey + $9 sweat/headband)

https://www.pearlizumi.com/ is having the same sale, but their website is slower and I don't think you can generate reward points through buying there like on BTD. (I had $12 in BTD rewards built up.)

End of summer should bring some good deals for those with needs for cycling stuff.

8/29 Update: Back Country is also a participating the same and you may be able to find promotions that stack:
https://www.backcountry.com/pearl-izumi?show=all&page=1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:57:04 PM by hadabeardonce »

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #1377 on: August 28, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
I started a new job this month... little under 10 miles from my door to work. It took a little, but I biked there last week and it was lovely on my e-bike. Found some good prospects for trails and low-traffic streets, and despite a few hills it was a breeze. I’m hoping to incorporate that ride twice a week, with the train on other days.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1378 on: August 28, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
I’ve been biking everyday to work these past two weeks — rain or shine. We DH also taught DD to bike this summer, so we will be biking to and from school and work on a daily basis when school starts on Sept 1.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1379 on: August 28, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »

It's hard to say.  The foam in a bike helmet is designed to protect in a single crash.  Dropping it from waist height onto concrete can cause the foam to crack/compress under the plastic shell (where you can't see it).  It's possible that the helmet is perfectly fine, but it's also possible that it's compromised.

Given that you can get a new helmet for as cheap as 20$, I'd be inclined to just do that.  If you can't do this for some reason, at the very least I'd carefully go over the inside of the helmet looking for cracks, then gently press on the plastic shell and try to feel for hidden indents underneath (indicating that compression has taken place).  If you find either, then toss the helmet.  Even if the helmet survives one (or two drops), if this is a regular thing, then you should buy multiple helmets and get used to throwing them out.

Agree with this. Any sign of damage, throw it out. Traumatic brain injury is hard to recover from.

TrMama

« Reply #1380 on: August 30, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
I'm gearing up for a kind of reverse bike commute. I'll continue to WFH, but the kids wll bike to school any day it's not raining too hard. I'll probably ride wth one of them most days.

It may also finally be time to get a hitch and bike rack. Doing that would allow them to only ride one way if the weather's only going to be bad morning/afternoon. Would also free up my workday for actual work.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1381 on: September 04, 2020, 08:39:35 AM »
Our high schooler is ebiking to school. Upgraded their bike lock. Loves it. Wakes them up, helps them unwind on the way home, feels more in control of their life during COVID. Way better than riding the bus and we like not having to brave the school line during our work hours to get them home. That's a 45 min round trip despite the small town. Gas and wear and tear on the car too.

Love where we live but sometimes wish it was flat and thus more bicycle physics friendly. Ebike is doing great with something north of 1100 miles on it. Was a ~$1200 Aliexpress purchase.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1382 on: September 04, 2020, 09:04:52 AM »
Our high schooler is ebiking to school. Upgraded their bike lock. Loves it. Wakes them up, helps them unwind on the way home, feels more in control of their life during COVID. Way better than riding the bus and we like not having to brave the school line during our work hours to get them home. That's a 45 min round trip despite the small town. Gas and wear and tear on the car too.

Love where we live but sometimes wish it was flat and thus more bicycle physics friendly. Ebike is doing great with something north of 1100 miles on it. Was a ~$1200 Aliexpress purchase.
My love for cycling is rooted in the feeling of independence using my bike gave me in high school. Through most of high school, I delivered a small paper route by bike. I also visited a friend about 5 miles from my home independently by bike once - complete with planning my route with paper maps. My dad cycle commuted for decades as well, so I've never really thought of cycling to work as an unusual option.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1383 on: September 04, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »
Me too. I grew up in a smallish place and could bicycle anywhere I wanted starting when i was about 12. I could go about 5 miles in any direction before I was geography challenged (mtns).

Am hoping our teen will bike more and drive less than the average American when they are old enough for a license.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1384 on: October 06, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
Alright, this isn't really a cycling newbie question but I'd rather start here than start a new thread entirely.

Two weeks ago I found an absolutely beautiful gently used carbon road bike on Craigslist & couldn't resist. But since then, I've barely rode it! Why? I freaking HATE the clip in pedal system.

My old road bike has SPD (2 hole) clips on one side & a flat pedal on the other. Super practical but not what the cool kids ride, right?

New bike has SPD-SL pedals and they feel terrifying. I ride in Chicago and my best case scenario to get to a bike path is minimum 10-20 stop signs and 3-5 lights, so it's quite a bit of stop & go riding. I actually can get out of the pedals pretty easily, that's not much different than what I'm used to. What I hate is getting started--getting my 2nd foot in from a stop takes 2-3 revolutions & I'm finding that unnerving in city traffic. My unclipped foot slips off the pedal several times before locking into place. I can't even imagine taking a quick left turn in them right now.

SO am I being an idiot & just need to let go of the "pride" of riding with "proper" racing pedals (I do not race & have no intention to do so...) or will I get used to this? Does anyone ride SPD's that are the little nubs (without the platform)? Am I going to have the same issue if I switch to those, meaning I should just get a second set of the pedals I already have (with a platform)?

Thanks y'all :)

The cost is basically a wash as I had to get new shoes for these pedals, which I'd return if I switched them out. I just want to make sure I'm missing anything before I give up!

TrMama

« Reply #1385 on: October 06, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
You can put whatever pedals you like on your fancy pants carbon bike. If you want flats with rainbow streamers, go for it! If you want SPD/flats, that's OK too.

Source: My carbon road bike has SPD pedals like this, https://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-M520-SPD-Pedals-2017/dp/B000KC3Y0G. I think they're technically mountain bike pedals. They're the bomb in traffic b/c I can instantly clip into either side. I also used to race triathlon and go on group rides with these pedals. No one's ever questioned me about them.

Do whatever makes your wheels spin ;-) Commuting on a carbon road bike is about maximizing fun.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1386 on: October 06, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
I use mountain bike pedals on my road bike . . . because it's important that I be able to walk around not like a penguin sometimes when off the bike.  Pedals are all interchangeable, if you don't like the ones on your fancy bike stick whatever makes you happy on it.  You can even take the ones on your other bikes off and swap.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1387 on: October 07, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
I use mountain bike pedals on my road bike . . . because it's important that I be able to walk around not like a penguin sometimes when off the bike.  Pedals are all interchangeable, if you don't like the ones on your fancy bike stick whatever makes you happy on it.  You can even take the ones on your other bikes off and swap.

Piling on. This is what I do.
@GuitarStv Thanks for writing what I want to say before I get to it. Just referencing your posts is so much easier than writing my own ;)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1388 on: October 07, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
I'm about to bite the bullet and start biking to work on the 3 days a week that I currently go to the office.  I'm scared of the crazy traffic of my Italian city (that has notoriously crazy traffic) but it's a short commute - less than a mile- and I guess I'll just have to be careful.  I do see quite a few bikes now.  My fear is people opening car doors on the narrow streets without looking, crazy scooter drivers and people going through red lights.  Definitely wearing a helmet.

Some logistical issues - my work is on the formal end of business casual.  I usually wear skirts or dresses, do my hair and wear a minimal amount of makeup (kind of expected for professional women unfortunately) but I'm not sure how practical this is going to be on a bike.  Also - I guess I'll need to wear sneakers and change into work shoes once I get to work?  Do the rest of you cycle to work in business attire?  The commute involves some hills so I may get sweaty.  There are no showers at work.  Maybe I should cycle in casual clothes and change my whole outfit and apply makeup once I'm at work in the bathroom? 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1389 on: October 07, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
I'm about to bite the bullet and start biking to work on the 3 days a week that I currently go to the office.  I'm scared of the crazy traffic of my Italian city (that has notoriously crazy traffic) but it's a short commute - less than a mile- and I guess I'll just have to be careful.  I do see quite a few bikes now.  My fear is people opening car doors on the narrow streets without looking, crazy scooter drivers and people going through red lights.  Definitely wearing a helmet.

Some logistical issues - my work is on the formal end of business casual.  I usually wear skirts or dresses, do my hair and wear a minimal amount of makeup (kind of expected for professional women unfortunately) but I'm not sure how practical this is going to be on a bike.  Also - I guess I'll need to wear sneakers and change into work shoes once I get to work?  Do the rest of you cycle to work in business attire?  The commute involves some hills so I may get sweaty.  There are no showers at work.  Maybe I should cycle in casual clothes and change my whole outfit and apply makeup once I'm at work in the bathroom?

Leave 2-3 ft space when passing a parked car to avoid winning the door prize.

As far as what to do at work, if there are no showers I'd try commuting in a very relaxed manner.  If you go quickly you'll sweat a lot.  If the hills are too hard, it might even be necessary to walk up them.

Throw your work clothes in a pannier or in a bag that you strap down to your bike rack and just get changed at the office.  This way you can sidestep the problem of getting mud/grease/dirt on your fancy clothes (or getting a skirt/dress stuck in the chain/spokes).  Leave your shoes and a stick of deodorant at your desk at work (less stuff you carry, the lighter your bike is and easier the ride).

Give it a few tries too, every bike commute is a little different and comes with a little bit of a learning curve before you get it all perfect!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1390 on: October 07, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »

Many people swear by baby wipes for post-ride cleanup.

I bike in my work clothes, but my work clothes are, like, chinos and Chucks. Business-y does sound like maybe you need to change. If you don't get too sweaty, your makeup might be OK or you might need to do it there.

I know anything new is daunting at first but just jump in and you'll find your routine soon!

TrMama

« Reply #1391 on: October 07, 2020, 03:35:19 PM »

A mile is a really short distance. You could walk it in less than 20 min and not worry about the bike, or you could do as GuitarStv suggested and just bike slowly. If there are steep hills or scary stretches of road, you could also just walk those parts and bike the rest of it. Personally, I'd bike in my work clothes and makeup for that distance with the exception of heels. If you have to wear those then pack them and bike in sneakers.

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #1392 on: October 07, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »

There's lots of good advice here already.  I'll add in that you could try the ride on one of your days off first and see how you feel when you arrive, how sweaty/mussed up you get, etc.  That'll give you an idea of how much "cleanup" of your appearance you'll have to do when you arrive.

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #1393 on: October 07, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »

As an American who actually misses commuting, I'll just say I'm jealous... my new employer has stated that they think April will be the earliest that we go into the office. The walls of my apartment are starting to shrink in on me...

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1394 on: October 07, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »
I sometimes work up a bit of a sweat on my 5 mile mostly flat bike commute. I change my clothes and put on deodorant in the handicapped bathroom stall then touch up my hair at the sinks. There is a shower available, but I don't feel it is needed as long as I've cooled down adequately before changing clothes.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: October 07, 2020, 05:10:12 PM »
I have a 7 mile commute each way, but ride an e-bike.  That, and the fact I ride in (or did pre-COVID) the early morning when temperatures are generally quite cool where I live, allows me to wear my work clothes on the bike.  If I have to bike in later and/or it's hot and sunny out, I carry my work clothes and change once I arrive.  That's quite rare but has happened recently. 

For the commute home, when it's often warm/hot and sunny, I wear athletic clothing, turn down the electric boost, and get my sweat on.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: October 07, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »

A mile is a really short distance. You could walk it in less than 20 min and not worry about the bike, or you could do as GuitarStv suggested and just bike slowly. If there are steep hills or scary stretches of road, you could also just walk those parts and bike the rest of it. Personally, I'd bike in my work clothes and makeup for that distance with the exception of heels. If you have to wear those then pack them and bike in sneakers.

Carrying shoes is a pain and it’s much easier to bike in heels than walk in them! Just ride. I’d go a mile in anything short of a full length ball gown, especially this time of year when the weather is mild.

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #1397 on: October 08, 2020, 06:17:49 AM »
I wanted to join this thread and do my bit for the environment, but I'm really struggling to convince my fiance on this one.

She keeps arguing that it's completely unnecessary to cycle from the bedroom to my desk in the spare room.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1398 on: October 08, 2020, 09:04:29 AM »
I wanted to join this thread and do my bit for the environment, but I'm really struggling to convince my fiance on this one.

She keeps arguing that it's completely unnecessary to cycle from the bedroom to my desk in the spare room.
Yes, a regular bicycle would be awkward due to its size on such a commute. However, if you learned to use a unicycle it might be totally doable.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1399 on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »

Yes, a regular bicycle would be awkward due to its size on such a commute. However, if you learned to use a unicycle it might be totally doable.

You're both quite wrong.  An opportunity like this should not be passed up.

- You finally have a reason to bring the bike out of the garage and into the bedroom
- Encourages good bike handling skills
- Significantly reduced automobile traffic to fight though

I'm really only seeing up sides to the commute.