Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 315198 times)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #950 on: September 04, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
I miss this thread! I went and had a baby so no biking to work for me for a while, and no biking at all in the short term. My poor ebike is left abandoned in the garden.

I agree with @katscratch: I LOVE my ebike. I am so-so about regular biking by that extra assist is just plain fun. My ride to work is around ten miles each way and is a nice commute with the assist. It would be impossible without. Not so much the physical aspect, though that is significant, but I would never be able to fit in the time of commuting on a regular bike.

I agree with the idea of renting one for a week to test drive the idea. I got an ebike because my work had a program of lending me an bike for six months to commute with. So I got the bug and couldn’t stop when I had to turn it back in.

I'm basically of the mind that the e-bike is the perfect mode of transportation.  It needs to take over the world. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #951 on: September 04, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
I miss this thread! I went and had a baby so no biking to work for me for a while, and no biking at all in the short term. My poor ebike is left abandoned in the garden.

I agree with @katscratch: I LOVE my ebike. I am so-so about regular biking by that extra assist is just plain fun. My ride to work is around ten miles each way and is a nice commute with the assist. It would be impossible without. Not so much the physical aspect, though that is significant, but I would never be able to fit in the time of commuting on a regular bike.

I agree with the idea of renting one for a week to test drive the idea. I got an ebike because my work had a program of lending me an bike for six months to commute with. So I got the bug and couldn’t stop when I had to turn it back in.

I'm basically of the mind that the e-bike is the perfect mode of transportation.  It needs to take over the world.
No disagreement from me. I can’t stand minivans but I do look with some lust upon the ebike version of minivans with the bench on the back where you can seat two kids, one in front of the other.

TrMama

« Reply #952 on: September 05, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

No disagreement from me. I can’t stand minivans but I do look with some lust upon the ebike version of minivans with the bench on the back where you can seat two kids, one in front of the other.

This. So much this. Except my kids are basically adult sized now. The plan is to get them ebikes of their own if they so much as whisper about pedal biking being too difficult. With graduated licensing they can't drive alone until they're 17 anyway. I don't want to be their chauffeur for that long.

My kids biked to school for the first time today! The route is 7km and goes down busy streets, a highway overpass and a couple trails. I rode with them this morning, but they're on their own this afternoon. Fingers crossed they get home safely, don't get lost and stay together.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #953 on: September 05, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
I don't even have kids and I want a longtail bike (I'd probably find a way to give a ride to a niece or nephew occasionally). There's a Yuba Boda Boda parked in the bike parking at my work regularly. I have yet to see the rider. I see other longtails out and about sometimes. I caught a glimpse of a local dad dad who rode a Yuba Mundo with three kids at a Bike Fest a few years ago.

Don't forget the front loaded box bikes - I think they make an even better minivan replacement.

Kids have grown, so not much recent content (last two posts are just about how they picked up their Christmas tree by bike again - 8 years running now), but Hum of the City had great blog content about biking with kids in SF for a few years. Dorie wrote reviews of all the bikes they had an opportunity to try while they lived car free with two kids.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: September 05, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Mine's an Xtracycle and hauls my dog quite often :)  If I'm going multi-modal w/bus or train I'll take my regular bike but it takes a half hour longer than riding the e-assist cargo bike.

Cargo bikes multiplied in our bike cage at work this summer; on most days there are three or four.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #955 on: September 05, 2019, 06:17:06 PM »
When ebikes started showing up around Sydney, I was pretty internal snarky ["just ride a normal bike!"] but it is one of the things that has helped normalise cycling as another regular mode of transport instead of being the province of MAMILs and couriers. It has been such a net gain in terms of my own safety to have more people riding on the road and more of those people being seen as regular normal people with some kids and some groceries that I just smile whenever I see one now.

A friend has one in Wellington (the city that made me quit riding for a decade) and loves it so now I can see an ebike in my future, when I am older and the hills are steeper. Currently I am leaning towards the Brompton ebike (removable battery! still foldable!) but I am sure design and battery life will continue improving so who knows what they will look like in 5 or 10 years time.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #956 on: September 05, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »

I think the best way to piss off a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them on an E-bike up a hill (speaking tongue-in-cheek as one of those lycra riders).

I think the best way to piss of a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them uphill on a cargo bike with 60+lbs of kids... to be fair he was probably at the end of 50km+ ride and we were just starting... *not me my husband though can do this*

And we have a longtail extracycle and it is the bomb for grocery shopping with kids, dropping kids off at preschool/daycare/zoo trips whatever... but if I were to do it again I would get a longtail e-bike. My kids are now 1, 3 and 6 (the 6 year old can ride on her own, but not on busy streets, and it's soooo much slower then when we have her on our bike - so she gets a lift alot!)... and at 25lbs, 30lbs and 50lbs.... they are heavy. They have taken to cheering me up hills because if I don't get up they know they have to get off and walk lol. We are quite the spectacle!

And in other news my maternity leave is at an end, I start biking to/from work again on Monday. It's been a long 16 months away from work (sorry americans, I hope your country catches up someday soon!).  The HR guy will have a bike cage key ready for the first day of work, but he still sent me a parking form lol! I live a short 2 miles jaunt, but with the occasional kid drop off and pickup it could be more like a 10 mile roundtrip some days. Here's to 100% bike commuting again :)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: September 08, 2019, 04:30:05 AM »
I've been very surprised that the only judgy comments I get about my e-assist are from women, except for precisely one young fixie rider online ;) In person though it's been all women! On different styles of bikes. Even more surprisingly to me, the "group" of cyclists that I get the most positive commentary and questions from are men in full kit on training rides while we're at stoplights.

It always makes me ruminate on why - is it because "men" subconsciously see their bikes as a tool and "women" as a value signal? I'm often loaded with some random heavy thing or my dog, so maybe it's also part of the "that's not safe" reaction a lot of cargo bike parents get? I don't know. I do know that my bike is the best cheat code ever and I ride my "regular" bike even more because of it!

@Kmp2 welcome back to the commuting ranks! Your posts in the past cycling threads were definitely an influence on my decision to give up my car and make a go year-round with the cargo bike :)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #958 on: September 08, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »

I think the best way to piss off a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them on an E-bike up a hill (speaking tongue-in-cheek as one of those lycra riders).

I think the best way to piss of a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them uphill on a cargo bike with 60+lbs of kids...
Let's not generalize a group of cyclists. I wear lycra on the weekends and hot days. e-Bikes and their riders aren't an irritant at all. I've been passed up while going uphill by a number of things, but don't bear them any ill will.

I love my road bike, but understand that the same choice isn't optimal for everyone. Seeing more cyclists riding on the streets is always a positive sign.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:42:07 AM by hadabeardonce »

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: September 08, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »

I think the best way to piss of a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them uphill on a cargo bike with 60+lbs of kids...
Let's not generalize a group of cyclists. I wear lycra on the weekends and hot days. e-Bikes and their riders aren't an irritant at all. I've been passed up while going uphill by a number of things, but don't bear them any ill will.

I love my road bike, but understand that the same choice isn't optimal for everyone. Seeing more cyclists riding on the streets is always a positive sign.

No intention to generalize negatively, I'm a fan of e-bike riders. But my experience is always uncanny for a few moments when I get blown away by someone who looks like they aren't even trying (at least to the same extent I am), until I make the connection that they are not using the same mode of locomotion as I am (despite most outward appearances).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »
I was on a large group ride and saw something very strange happening.  There were quite a few steep hills at the start, followed by some long flat sections.  Three guys would break away from the main group going up every hill . . . like just effortlessly crushing everyone else.  Then we would all catch up and quickly pass them on the flats.  Didn't make any sense to me at the time.

I later figured they must have been on ebikes.  The ebike assist is limited to 32 kph.  So they get the max assist climbing and go up the hills like superheroes, but couldn't hang with a group going 45 on the flats and immediately get dropped.  :P

But yeah, I agree with hadabeardonce.  It's a little odd until you realize that the person is on a motorcycle.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #961 on: September 09, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
I expected to get the stink eye from the real road bikers when I was commuting on my ebike. I was pleasantly surprised though at the positive feedback I got from those who did talk to me. I’d like to think we are all in together on this and the more of us there are on the road, the better it is for everyone.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #962 on: September 10, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
Question

Do you all ride during thunder storms?

If so, what gear do you recommend?

Ended up driving to the gym this morning because we were in the middle of a thunder storm, but trying to stick to biking as much as possible for all local trips.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
Question

I usually do but try to gauge how severe it seems before purposely going out in a thunderstorm.

Same as you would wear in the rain with no thunder/lightning.
No long metal rods.

Ended up driving to the gym this morning because we were in the middle of a thunder storm, but trying to stick to biking as much as possible for all local trips.
That's reasonable.
There was only one thunderstorm that I rode through where I felt unsafe but that was a nasty one with high winds and large branches falling around me lol.

I am in central NJ so thunderstorms aren't too bad here compared to what I've seen in other states.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #964 on: September 10, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »

@Kmp2 welcome back to the commuting ranks! Your posts in the past cycling threads were definitely an influence on my decision to give up my car and make a go year-round with the cargo bike :)

This makes me so happy! We have not given up a car yet, but our second car is a 2004 civic that is super cheap to keep around for the amount we drive it and it refuses to die!

I am surprised that it's women that make comments - I always tell e-bikers that I'm jealous, and that my n+1 will definitely be an e-bike :)

There is a lot of evidence showing that e-bikes generally end up being more exercise for normal people (read non roadie/mountain bikers) because they lower the barriers to getting out and allow you to go further - both of which increase your total exercise.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #965 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
Question

I have, I usually get caught out in them, I wouldn't purposely go out into one. Ours are usually over fairly quickly so you can wait it out.  If it's really bad I seek shelter on someone's porch, a coffee shop, a bus shelter etc... it's the buffeting wind that can blow you a few feet sideways that's sketchy when you are riding in traffic, and also low visibility for drivers doesn't help either. So those conditions might dictate I stop and wait it out - depends on the roads I'm on and how close to where I'm going!

I wear whatever rain gear I have. But not a lot will hold up against a drenching downpour.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #966 on: September 10, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
Question

I ride in the rain all the time.

Most important gear is a bright rear and front light.  Next would be fenders for your bike.  Next would be a bright fluorescent coloured jacket.  Waterproof is nice, but the odds are you're going to get wet cycling in the rain.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »
There is a lot of evidence showing that e-bikes generally end up being more exercise for normal people (read non roadie/mountain bikers) because they lower the barriers to getting out and allow you to go further - both of which increase your total exercise.

This is the other reason I wholeheartedly welcome ebikes (plus the reduction in pollution, traffic, etc.). So if ebikes lead to the revolution where the majority of people begin to embrace commute by at-least-partially human powered machine, I will consider their adoption a boon for mankind.

Question

This is tangentially related to my previous comment: I find the concept of baby steps to be extremely helpful in improving my life. So I am a fair-weather biker who would probably take the bus at the hint of strong thunderstorms, but at the same time the more I ride, the less I am sweating the small stuff (like thunderstorms). I imagine with enough experience, at some point a thunderstorm wouldn't even affect my biking plans.

So I won't judge if you choose to drive the car through the thunderstorms. The chances are good that as long as you keep regularly biking, at some point you will chuckle at a future thunderstorm rolling in while you fling your leg over the saddle and slam down on the pedal to zoom off into the electrically charged darkness ahead.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: September 10, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
Thanks all!! I do ride my bike when it's raining, but might take it easy on myself for now when it's actually pouring (which is the current weather forecast for the next two days - thunder storms for the next 48 hours. ugh. hoping i'll be able to wait it out for breaks in the storms so that i can still bike around but we will see.)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #969 on: September 10, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »
Question

I ride in the rain all the time.

Most important gear is a bright rear and front light.  Next would be fenders for your bike.  Next would be a bright fluorescent coloured jacket.  Waterproof is nice, but the odds are you're going to get wet cycling in the rain.

I ride in rainstorms, snowstorms, you name it. I check windy.com to see how the storm is moving. It's been the best visualization tool that I've found.

I second all of GuitarStv's suggestions: lights, fenders, bright jacket. I'll add:
- Safety glasses for clear sight in rain/wind  |  ski goggles for clear sight in snow, it prevents the dreaded foggy lenses
- I really appreciate my waterproof jacket
- If it's a warm rain, I'll try to maximize showing skin. Fabric takes a while to dry but skin you can generally wipe right off.
- If it's cold, I'll wear my waterproof pants and I'm comfortable the whole commute (~6mi)
- Bag cover if I have my backpack. I like the mesh pocket on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Salzmann-Reflective-Visibility-Waterproof-Weatherproof/dp/B07L297H1B/ref=sr_1_4?crid=I7BR1P89JP6L&keywords=salzmann+3m+reflective+backpack+cover&qid=1568157073&s=gateway&sprefix=salzmann+3M+reflective%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-4

Happy riding!

TrMama

« Reply #970 on: September 10, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
I'll ride in any kind of rain, even heavy rain. However, I don't ride in lightning because I don't want to risk getting zapped. I also don't ride in wind above about 70km/hr because I find it hard to stay upright at that speed and don't want to get run over. Gusting wind can be especially tricky because the gusts can feel like someone's just randomly tried to push you over.

Otherwise, pretty much all weather is fair game. Note that it rarely snows where I live.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #971 on: September 11, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
I am definitely going to be investing in some of the gear that you guys are posting here, especially good waterproof jackets, pants, and a bag cover.

I rode into work this morning. Weather forecast yesterday said it would be storming, but it's not yet... Now it's been moved down to later this evening and it says isolated storms at 5 when I leave work. Hopefully the forecast is wrong about that too but if not, I'll be riding home in a potential downpour. That's okay, I'll get home and change into something dry. My other option was to take the bus, but I didn't feel like spending the money (lol). But that bag cover does have me thinking about my unprotected laptop in my backpack - I didn't think about that. I have an extra sweater so I'll probably wrap it up in that if it's really bad out, and it should survive the 15 minute ride home.

I'm in Wisconsin so it'll start snowing in a few months, and then it'll get really bad by January/February. I'm going to try to continue to ride in the snow (I'll get some studded tires OR if I've been able to save up enough money, I'll get a nicer bike with studded tires, fatter tires, and disc brakes. We'll see if my budget allows it, but I already have the potential bike picked out).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #972 on: September 11, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
As far as rain predictions go, I've found that you can't trust weather reports at all.  I look at the weather radar a couple hours before I go to work and a couple hours before I leave to get an idea if it'll rain on me.  :P

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #973 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
After my haughty reply about being a fair-weather biker yesterday, Thor decided to treat me to some lightning bolts and heavy rain this morning. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, lasted about 20 minutes at the beginning of the ride, and was dry by the time I arrived at work.

One more box to check on things not to worry about while biking: summer thunderstorms.

(Granted, this was western N.A. rain and lightning, which is a different breed than the eastern kind. I rode in plenty of actually scary thunderstorms growing up in South FL, and would prefer not to if it could be avoided (and it usually could by waiting half an hour).)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #974 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
For people afraid of lightning strikes . . . do you guys live in extremely flat areas with no trees or buildings?  I'd expect that a lightning strike of a person on a bike is vanishingly small in typical cities.  There are buildings and trees everywhere that will guide lightning much more easily than your puny bike.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
I would agree that a lightning strike on your bike is vanishingly small... unless one is in the midst of a strong thunderstorm. Then the probability shifts from vanishingly small to very small, which when combined with the hazard severity of 'death', may not lead to a wise risk (depending on your level of risk tolerance).

It's similar to the risk of swimming in the ocean, when there's a dorsal fin cutting a wake just offshore.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #976 on: September 11, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
I normally avoid riding when wet (most years this probably equates to about 40 days commuting by bus from November to March where I live). The time I was caught in a thunderstorm on my way home. I got pretty soaked nearly instantly then sheltered in a freeway underpass until the downpour passed (not more than 15 minutes).

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #977 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
What do you all do to prevent rusting of your chair and cassette after riding in the rain. 
I just had to have my cassette replaced by the LBS, due to the rain over the summer and rusting.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #978 on: September 11, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
What do you all do to prevent rusting of your chair and cassette after riding in the rain. 
I just had to have my cassette replaced by the LBS, due to the rain over the summer and rusting.

I wipe my chain dry with a towel after riding in the rain. I don't do anything to the cassette.

I do need to get better at cleaning and lubricating the chain after rain though.
Seems to get gritty, likely because most of my commute is on a dirt trail.

Another thing that's been driving me crazy is my seat post. I feel like I have to grease the thing once a week to stop it from creaking.
After it rains, it's even worse. I've been using automotive grease. Maybe I need to look into something else...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #979 on: September 11, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
Bounce your bike a few times to knock most of the water off it, then wipe the chain off with a rag and re-lube it . . . rain is pretty mild as far as bike destroying potential goes.  Salt and grit when riding around in the winter on the other hand . . .    :P

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #980 on: September 11, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
Do you guys use different lubes for summer months vs winter months?  And for those of us that have 4 seasons, when do you make the transition?

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #981 on: September 11, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
My chain gets lubed but twice a year, when my studded tires go on a winter lube, when my studded tires come off a summer lube... PS full chain guards are awesome... but between the chain guard, IGH, fenders, rack, dynamo lighting changing a tire is not a beside the road job!

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #982 on: September 11, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »
I not even know there was a winter or summer lube. I just use finish line dry lube with Teflon fluoripolymer.

It’s the one in the black container with the red sticker and cap.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #983 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:51 PM »
Muc-Off makes a wet lube and a dry lube. I try to be good about applying it every few weeks, but it's more important to do in the rain. Bike washes get rid of a lot of grime that collects, which is especially key to remove from braking surfaces.

I'd also recommend applying waterproof grease to your headset and bottom bracket. Anti-seize on the seat tube. The wrong grease may get all over your bike when wet, making a slippery mess which could find its way to brake pads.

I prefer riding in the rain to driving in the rain. Windshields and windows really obscure vision way more than a cycling cap. Last year was my first year really committing to all-weather bicycle commuting. It's been so long since it rained in the California that I can't remember how I did it =P

During 2019 I've biked 147 of 153 work days. It'll be 148/155 on Friday... I need to pick up kids from the airport during the middle of the day.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #984 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
I broke down and bought a fairly expensive pair of rain pants.  I managed last year with cheapo gear, but after getting soaked a couple of times I sprung for an actual waterproof jacket/shell, which turned out to be a big improvement.  Decided it would be nice to have pants that I can slip over my work pants and reduce the amount of time gearing up/down (and drying myself) on those wet days. 

I also got a rain cover for the bike.  I have to park outside at work, and leaving the e-bike in the rain for extended periods isn't recommended.  Instead of fiddling with covering individual electric components (plus the seat, rear bag, panniers), I realized that it would be easier just to cover up the whole darn thing.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #985 on: September 12, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
First day of fall is coming up soon and it's gotten dramatically darker at 6 in the morning in the last week or so. :( I whipped out the flash light for the front of the bike but have found that the blinking light I got for the back of my back back in the spring doesn't stay on. I think it's broken or something. It turns on and even flashes, but it turns off after a minute, or when I'm not looking. I've gone to work in the dark and by the time i get there, I go to turn it off and find it's not even on. Grrr.  Hopefully i can complain to the bike shop and exchange it because I literally only started needing to turn it on it last week!

It's also a bit chilly for me at around mid to low 60 degrees F, but when I tried wearing a jacket I got sweaty. Maybe because it was a rain jacket, but it was advertised to be 'breathable.' Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here to be kind of comfortable, but not too warm.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2019, 08:42:34 AM »

It's also a bit chilly for me at around mid to low 60 degrees F, but when I tried wearing a jacket I got sweaty. Maybe because it was a rain jacket, but it was advertised to be 'breathable.' Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here to be kind of comfortable, but not too warm.

We're all different, of course, but for me it's something like this for my ride to work, where I don't want to get sweaty but also don't want to freeze (e-bike, so less effort and more speed/wind chill).  I'm always wearing long work pants for that ride.

>70 annoyingly warm, but very rare where I live at 5:45 in the morning
65-70 short sleeves preferred but ok in long sleeves if it's dark out
60-65 long sleeves
55-59 switch to thin, full-fingered gloves
50-54 add balaclava, windbreaker
45-49 thicker gloves, add a layer over pants
40-44 inner jacket under windbreaker
35-39 very rare where I live...not sure if I'm doing anything different than 40-44. 

Rain changes the equation a bit; still figuring out the best configurations, but my new rain shell pants will probably be worn frequently this coming winter.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #987 on: September 13, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »

My experience (and I understand everyone is different) is that the low 60's feel cold when I start riding, but I'm plenty warm after the first fifteen minutes with my summer gear on. This was the case earlier this week when I was drenched on the way to work. (Not really sure if this is a suggestion, other than to maybe try riding without a jacket at those temps if you haven't before and see if the discomfort is temporary.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #988 on: September 13, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »

My experience (and I understand everyone is different) is that the low 60's feel cold when I start riding, but I'm plenty warm after the first fifteen minutes with my summer gear on. This was the case earlier this week when I was drenched on the way to work. (Not really sure if this is a suggestion, other than to maybe try riding without a jacket at those temps if you haven't before and see if the discomfort is temporary.)

Good to note though that you should always take an extra piece of clothing . . . just in case you've misjudged the temperatures.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #989 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
That happened to me on my way to work this morning. It was 59F (15C) and I wore a light windbreaker/track warmup.

I was comfortable for the first 15 minutes or so then started sweating.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #990 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »
so we took the ebike for a spin from the local bike sharing service yesterday, and while she was initially pretty skeptical (but was still a good sport about trying it out) my wife is now 100% sold on getting an ebike.

We have a few good friends that live in our neighborhood and as a group we've been biking a lot all summer, and I keep talking about the two of us biking to work together. She admitted that she gets mad whenever we decide to bike somewhere because it's miserable for her, but none of us realized it was this bad because she puts on a good face about it. Anyways, she's now super excited about an ebike and even said "if this is what biking normally feels like for the rest of you guys I can see why you're so excited to bike everywhere all the time!"

We did some research over the weekend and unfortunately there aren't many bike shops that either specialize in ebikes or have a particularly good selection of them. She's super short (5 foot or maybe slightly under) so she doesn't want to buy anything without taking a test ride first, which eliminates most online sellers. So, we landed on one from Costco, of all places. It's nothing special, but i's a good price ($1500) and has most of what she's looking for (pedal assist, reasonable range) and we confirmed that it comes with Costco's full "no questions asked" return policy, so if it doesn't work out we can return it and find something else that's suitable. She's now super impatient for it to arrive as it takes a couple weeks to ship.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #991 on: September 16, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »
So I thought I was too good to use my checklist this morning, got all the way to work, then realized that I left my laptop at home.

So I changed back into my gym clothes, took the shorter (and sketchy) way home, got the laptop, then took the short way back, took shower #2, changed again...

I could have just worked from home today but wanted to be in the office to help a coworker with her math homework.

...which I later found out she left at home.

Happy Monday everyone lol

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #992 on: September 21, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
I did my first bike ride since giving birth last week and also picked up my kid at school with the bike trailer yesterday. It felt great, like getting back a part of me that had been missing for a while. Too bad the kid had complaints about the mode of transportation, but she’ll get used to it in time. :)

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #993 on: September 24, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
Popped that one out already spouting ABC’s, I see. And with a side of complainypants to boot. Best of luck with a prodigy.  ;)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #994 on: September 25, 2019, 01:19:06 AM »
We had better luck yesterday. She said she didn’t tent me to pick her up by bike but somehow dropping her off in the morning is perfectly fine and even something she decided she wants. So I dropped her off in the morning by bike. That works even better for me because it is still cool in the morning and we are suffering through a hot spell at the moment.

TrMama

« Reply #995 on: September 25, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
I did my first bike ride since giving birth last week and also picked up my kid at school with the bike trailer yesterday. It felt great, like getting back a part of me that had been missing for a while. Too bad the kid had complaints about the mode of transportation, but she’ll get used to it in time. :)

Just ask her if she'd rather walk all the way home ;-)

My own Spawn are now semi-regularly riding their bikes to school. They also need panniers to carry their various laptops and musical instruments. I need to find some kind of bulk rate on panniers and lights.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #996 on: September 25, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
Can I jump in here and get some advice about biking to work in the winter? (Sorry, I did not read all 20 past pages :-). )

I have been biking through the nice seasons and want to know what I can do to get ready for winter biking. Some parameters:

-I have a car, so I don't need to spend a bunch of money on things that would only be necessary in dreadful weather. I can drive in dreadful weather.
-My bike is a hybrid.
-My commute is about 3 miles with some hills which takes me about 20 minutes because I'm a slow-ass biker. (I can squat my body weight! Repeatedly! So I don't think it's my leg strength. But people just blow right by me.)
-My route is some street biking (on streets designated as bike routes but with no bike lanes), some bike lanes on the road, and a stretch of poorly maintained paved trail.
-I live in Denver so I can expect icy conditions not infrequently.

I'm concerned about getting home safely in the dark, staying upright over patches of snow and ice (again, if it's really bad I'll drive, but Denver has a lot of beautiful days where yesterday's snow is still melting) and also about what to wear if it's too cold for leggings or chinos.

Help!

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #997 on: September 25, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »
Dark - Rechargeable LED lights. Not the cheapest. Not the most expensive.
Cold - Use layers and take temp/clothing notes. After a few weeks of notes, you’ll know what to wear at any temp and avoid sweating or freezing—significant clothing difference between 10 and 30 degrees, but both can produce winter precip. I wear cycling tights down to 0 degrees and just start to feel a bit cool in my legs after 30 mins. It doesn’t get colder here, and layers work fine for upper body.
Tires - Winter snow/slush, go wider w/ some grip. Potential ice, drive the car or use studded tires.I drive for ice because we don’t get enough to warrant studded tires.
Speed - Your enemy if streets aren’t clear. You don’t need a 20 min ride to be quicker.

20 mins is not much time. You won’t sweat or freeze too badly if you didn’t quite get the layers right the first time. Work on riding with lights and dealing with the cold before you tackle snow in the dark at 0 degrees. No sense in piling on.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: September 26, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »
I don't have too much winter riding advice though I've ridden in the cold and snow up to a couple miles. I would suggest avoiding riding in the snow altogether unless you are into action and adventure (to include freezing your face off during winter slush events, not being able to demarcate where you should be riding if streets haven't been plowed, slipping and sliding all over the place, etc.), but otherwise for shorter trips (such as your 3-mile commute) I was more than fine just using regular winter clothes (in a climate similar to Denver's). Lights in the dark are always important (and the law), of course.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #999 on: September 26, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
I regularly commute in the winter, about 11 or 12 miles each way.

For the winter it's safest to run at least two taillights (planet bike superflash turbos are great for this), one in blinking mode and one steady.  I've had taillights fail, and you don't want to be riding in the dark while invisible to cars.  You can use AAA rechargable batteries in them, and they last a long time.  I used to run a rechargable AA battery headlight, but they just don't make any that I think are bright enough for when it's really pitch black.  My preference is for a high lumen USB chargable headlight.  The Cygolite Metro 750 is a great choice.  You'll need to remember to charge it regularly though.

Clothing-wise - layers.  Get a very bright neon coloured windshell with some reflective accents.  Then you just add various layers beneath it depending on how cold it is.  I'm a fan of synthetic fleeces for sweat wicking and warmth.  Make sure there are zips for venting . . . because you'll get your clothing wrong from time to time and it'll help keep you from cooking.  Beneath that I like to have something sweat wicking and skin tight (underarmour type shirts).  I've got a couple pairs of heavy weight winter tights that I think were designed for skiing which work well on my legs.  Below freezing, you should cover your face with some kind of mask to avoid frostbite.  A thick pair of overgloves with a thin pair of gloves beneath that will keep your hands warm, and (taking off the big gloves) will allow you some dexterity for doing things in the cold like locking up.  Get footwear that is a size or two too big for you to make room for thick/heavy socks.  Thick wool socks (two pairs if you can swing it) will keep your feet warm through a lot of cold weather.  Tight shoes (no matter how warm) will reduce circulation and your toes will get frostbite, so make sure you try on your shoes/boots with the heavy socks you're going to be wearing.  A thin toque or headband is usually good on your head.  When it's really cold, taping over the vents in your bike helmet will keep your head much warmer.  ALWAYS wear glasses/goggles over your eyes in the cold . . . otherwise you'll be tearing up non-stop when you get going.

Tires-wise, it's very dependent upon where you're cycling.  I ride on the road, and they're very aggressive about salting here.  I'll often be riding through snow/slush but there's rarely any ice.  I like 28 mm tires with some grip for snow/slush.  They punch through to the ground beneath, and roll much better than wise mountain bike type tires.  You need some grip though, because loose snow is too slippery otherwise.  If you live somewhere that there's lots of ice, it's probably worth getting studded bike tires - just be aware that they are extremely slow whenever you're not cycling on ice.

Most important is to be flexible in the winter.  There have been times when I got out on the roads before the plows on certain streets and I've had to shoulder my bike because it was too slippery to ride.  Know your route (some areas will reliably be slippery or are places that ice builds up - it's good to know where these are).  Reduce your speed when going down hills.  Stop early for stop signs and lights.  Change lanes early.  Take the lane when you need to.  Be very careful using your front brake or turning your handlebars if you're on loose/slippery stuff - it is easy to wipe out (I'd recommend that you spend a couple snowy weekends playing in a parking lot to get a feel for how your bike handles in snow and on ice - you don't want to learn this in the middle of the road).  If the weather is really bad (like freezing rain) leave the bike at home . . . that type of weather doesn't happen often enough to be worth risking your life.