Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 314864 times)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
Similarly, SoCal folks surely snicker when they see those from the Great White North melt and shutdown on a 110F summer day.

Coastal SoCal rarely gets above 90 degrees, and people here whine when it does. It's one of the most temperate climates on Earth. Now, drive an hour east into the desert and you'll discover heat. I went camping out there in August once to see the Perseids - it was 90F at night and I believed myself to be cool. We were awoken by intolerable heat before 6AM.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
That is the downside of living in the Bay Area: it is so consistently mild that I can not tolerate anything over about 75*F or below 45*F. At least with cold you can put on more clothes. With heat all you can do is complain. :) Ditto for humidity, bugs, and other indignities climates in other areas throw at people. Every time i travel for work I come home with a renewed appreciation for what we have here.

Bunch of wimps, the lot of us.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
The coldest, most miserable looking lot I have ever seen were a friends visiting Philipino family members on a 55F sunny day in Norther California in August.
55F a decent low temperature in Northern California in August, but I can't picture a sunny day holding onto such a temperature for more than a few hours after sunrise.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »
It's been miserable in the southeast with rain and cold and it's flippin' dark at 5:30 at night so no bike rides last weekend.   Suffering withdrawal symptoms.   My bike looks so sad waiting just inside the garage...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #454 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
I took my bike in for maintenance today. What a difference cleaning and new chain and brakes make! No more squeaking and there is definitely less friction in the system.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
It was rainy and cold today and 43F in Shanghai today. Wore a turtleneck sweater, Uniqlo vest, winter coat, and a cheap PVC poncho. It was dark by 5:00 PM. I still biked to work today because it was the quickest way to get to work. The subway flooded because Chinese construction + a week of rain = overloaded sewage system, so many people took surface transportation today. This meant that there were traffic jams and traffic accidents everywhere. Since subway was not an option, and taking the bus would mean over an hour stuck on a crowded bus in snarled, honking traffic, I decided the most efficient way to get to work on time was to bike through light but bitingly cold rain and wind. Took about 45 minutes (typically a 35 minute ride).

That poncho usually turns me into a big sweaty mess most days, but works really well when it’s freezong cold. I also wore it biking home in the dark, not because it was raining but because it was so cold. Just turned on my headlight and taillight and zipped home in around 30 minutes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »
Headwind of about 20 kph with gusts to 30 or so with temperatures around -5 this morning.  Should make for a fun ride back if the winds hold!

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
It's been miserable in the southeast with rain and cold and it's flippin' dark at 5:30 4:30 at night so no bike rides last weekend.   Suffering withdrawal symptoms.   My bike looks so sad waiting just inside the garage...

I fixed that for you.  ;)  There is no such thing as commuting without lights in WI.  Generator hubs are quite popular here among commuters for this reason.  Dark in the morning till 7ish, dark by 4:30.  At least the days will start getting longer soon.  I'm sure there are folks in CA or AK that have it even worse for hours of daylight.

TrMama

« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Yeah, official daylight hours here are 8:05am to 4:20pm. Lately there's also driving rain, so it never really seems to get light out.

I'll still take this over the dark days we had when living in QC. The sun goes down at 3:30 there.

Today, I forgot to pack dry socks. Currently rocking some loafers, without socks. The ones I wore to ride in this morning got soaked through my neoprene shoe covers. I think it was riding through the massive puddles that did it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
I had such a glorious ride in this morning! It really puts me in a good mood to start my day.

Cool but not cold. Overcast with dry roads. The rainy season is here so everything is beautiful and green. Maybe people are starting the holidays early because there were fewer cars in the road than usual. Overall it felt awesome.

I’m sorry others are struggling with darkness and cold. You are all much braver than me, for sure.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
The darkness and cold has it's own beauty.  :P

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
It's been miserable in the southeast with rain and cold and it's flippin' dark at 5:30 4:30 at night so no bike rides last weekend.   Suffering withdrawal symptoms.   My bike looks so sad waiting just inside the garage...

I fixed that for you.  ;)  There is no such thing as commuting without lights in WI.  Generator hubs are quite popular here among commuters for this reason.  Dark in the morning till 7ish, dark by 4:30.  At least the days will start getting longer soon.  I'm sure there are folks in CA or AK that have it even worse for hours of daylight.
By CA I take it you mean the international two letter country abbreviation (not sure what situations it is standard to capitalize both letters in that system, not the two letter US state postal abbreviation standard matching the other abbreviations use. Even here in CA, USA it is dark for at least part of most people's commutes in each direction right now.

I have an early work schedule, so my commute starts in the dark as early as late September, but I usually get home before the end of civil twilight for all but a few weeks of the year. The worst combination of lighting and traffic conditions for me occurs when the setting sun causes glare for drivers I am approaching (oncoming cars turning left, or cross traffic from the left) making it harder for them to see me. This frequently occurs during my bike commutes in November and January. If we switched to year round DST, I'd always get home before the end of civil twilight and the setting sun issue would be greatly reduced (but I'd lose the 2 week reprieve from starting my morning commute before civil twilight that I get after the time change in November and again just before the time change in March).

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #462 on: December 20, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
Thanks everyone! I filed a police report for the insurance claim and went to the doctor today. Doctors visit went well, went to a walk-in clinic and was in and out in a hour, he poked me in a few places and I got some x-rays done. Nothing broken or torn so that's good. My ankle was bothering me slightly (uncomfortable to run on but fine to walk on), he said it's just a light sprain and it feels much better now.  It looks like I walked away with a broken bike and a few minor scratches so I'm pretty grateful for that.

I'll probably file my insurance claim tomorrow, I live in BC Canada so the insurance company I have to deal with is ICBC and they are horrendously stingy and litigious.

I'm not very litigious, but insurance companies in the US are notorious for low-balling settlement payouts for bicycle accidents. I have read dozens of stories of large, monolithic insurance companies offering a very low payout on the initial offer. It might be worth consulting with a lawyer before you file a claim.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: December 20, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »
Going home yesterday afternoon the part of my route that goes along the Bay was a little buggy. Sometimes, perhaps when the tide is low, these little gnats come out. One of them managed to fly directly into my eye. For some reason this time it really stung. I barely kept myself together to screech to a halt, rio my glove off, and start digging around in my eye. I finally got that sucker out but the one eye is still a bit red today.

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #464 on: December 20, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
i moved to southwest france about 8 months ago and started biking to work about 4 months ago (first time ever commuting to a job by bike).  From my house, it's 2.5 miles mostly uphill the way there and downhill back.  More than half of it is in a designated bike lane (starts on the road and then moves to a sidewalk bike lane)  It's a pretty straight forward commute although the round abouts can be a little tricky if I'm about to enter the round about or already in it and someone is coming up fast on my flank.  I do shift work so i work 9-9 some months/days and others nights.  Regardless, one leg of my commute is always in the dark. I use a flashing red/blue/purple LED light on the back and a bright white LED on the front.  I think I'm going to add a helmet light to the mix soon.  I ride a hybrid so its tough enough to handle cobblestone, but still gets me there in about 20 minutes.  Definitely economical in a place where gas is about $7-$8/gallon!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #465 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:12 AM »
I'm not very litigious, but insurance companies in the US are notorious for low-balling settlement payouts for bicycle accidents. I have read dozens of stories of large, monolithic insurance companies offering a very low payout on the initial offer. It might be worth consulting with a lawyer before you file a claim.
I expect insurance companies in the US to low-ball settlement payouts for any claim that doesn't have hard numbers behind it. Certainly the insurance won't include things like added cost of your commute because you can no longer bike during recovery. They might be fairly reasonable about replacement costs for physical damage to the bike and shouldn't have any difficulty accepting responsibility for medical bills charged to you for your injuries (I have no idea if health insurance goes after the liability insurance for covered costs of treatment - but I think they should). Beyond that, you'll likely have to fight them.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: December 20, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
Since I have multiple lights, I think I stand out better in the dark than during dusk.  Doesn't bother me too much.  I also have a very early work schedule, so even in SoCal my morning commute is in the dark outside of June/July.  These days I'm also using lights during my ride home from 4-4:30 pm, though it's not quite dark yet (sunset officially 4:47 pm today). 

TrMama

« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2018, 09:27:58 AM »
Discovered a new benefit of bike commuting last night. You'll have lots of extra lights on hand for when the power goes out. Hooked my extra bright front light onto the kitchen cabinet pull so I could see well enough to cook dinner last night. Then used the less bright one to read before bed.

Note to self: Buy more batteries and candles . . .

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #468 on: December 25, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
Hi, just bought a bike and have been reading this thread since i know nothing. Put my cruiser together and bought all the little accessories. Got a helmet that isn't super dorky or super hero looking. Haven't ridden it yet. Haven't ridden in over 30 yrs so I'll be testing this in my driveway this weekend. I can't ride to work, but im hoping eventually to ride to the train. I live in NJ and work in downtown NYC--which should be against the law but I really didn't know how stupid this would be until i was here for a few years. I'm so excited to have my bike and to find this thread.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: December 26, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
For Christmas, I was gifted the World's Loudest Bike Horn. Uncertain how useful this will be...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #470 on: December 26, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
For Christmas, I was gifted the World's Loudest Bike Horn. Uncertain how useful this will be...
Haha!

I go back and forth on the horn. I like that mine is polite because I ring it a lot overtaking people on the trail. But then when a car cuts me off I want a big loud horn.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
Are bike short just spandex shorts or are you guys talking about those padded butt pants?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: December 26, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
Usually people are referring to “butt pants”, as my husband calls them. I got to the point of just wearing running pants now that I am used to my saddle.

I went to my husband’s work today on our day off just to have a quiet space where we could work and talk about personal finance stuff. I convinced him to ride with me instead of drive. It was great except for on the way there he swerved to avoid a squirrel crossing the road. I couldn’t swerve fast enough and I hit the poor thing. It ran away but I feel bad thinking about the damage it must be suffering now.

TrMama

« Reply #473 on: December 27, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
It was great except for on the way there he swerved to avoid a squirrel crossing the road. I couldn’t swerve fast enough and I hit the poor thing. It ran away but I feel bad thinking about the damage it must be suffering now.

So sorry to hear about the squirrel. Poor little thing.

I would use the hell out of a super loud bike horn. Is it an air horn? It'd be great for when people try to use the bike lane as a right hand turn lane, and then end up stopped in it because it's not actually wide enough for that. Annoys the heck out of me when I get stuck behind them. HONK!

Or when I'm in the left hand turn lane at a red light at the final intersection before my house and the cars turning left from the other direction are nearly hitting me because they're cutting the corner too close. Normally I just shine my bright front light in their eyes, but if I had a horn, HONK!

Or every time a driver passes me with only inches to spare. HONK!

Perhaps it's best I not get a horn ;-)

This week the discount grocery store I usually go to kindly installed a second, more secure bike rack. Yay! Sometimes when I shop on the weekends the bike rack is full. I end up trying to lock to whatever outdoor displays they have that week.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #474 on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
I’m suffering a painful flare up of something like carpel tunnel right now that I attribute to a combo of the handle on my bike being twisted at a bad angle and me dinging my bell too frequently ;-)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
Bought myself a bike trailer.  I had been lusting after one that would actually work with my hub-mounted e-bike (Burley Travoy), but couldn't pull the trigger.  Then, someone gave me $100 towards a bike trailer for Christmas.  Still had to pony up $100 after finding it on sale, but I've been really trying to move to a bike-centric life, and this should help; can hopefully do full grocery trips instead of the partial trips and smaller errands I've been doing (limited by what will fit in my panniers and occasionally a backpack). 

I was hoping to find one used, but people just don't seem to let these things go.  They only one I've found was probably stolen merchandise, missing several normally included parts, and a high price on top of it. 

TrMama

« Reply #476 on: December 31, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »
Bought myself a bike trailer.  I had been lusting after one that would actually work with my hub-mounted e-bike (Burley Travoy), but couldn't pull the trigger.  Then, someone gave me $100 towards a bike trailer for Christmas.  Still had to pony up $100 after finding it on sale, but I've been really trying to move to a bike-centric life, and this should help; can hopefully do full grocery trips instead of the partial trips and smaller errands I've been doing (limited by what will fit in my panniers and occasionally a backpack). 

I was hoping to find one used, but people just don't seem to let these things go.  They only one I've found was probably stolen merchandise, missing several normally included parts, and a high price on top of it.

I found the same thing when I bought my well used trailer several years ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't (recently) stolen, however it had been used by the owner's teens to haul around  their dog. No matter, I immediately threw out all the fabric bits anyway. I'm pretty sure the dog smell is the only reason it was under $100. It's a PITA to store, but it does hold an enormous amount of groceries. It's also good for hauling home all the free stuff people leave out on the street.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: December 31, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
I feel really fortunate that I got a very decent bike trailer for free on FB marketplace last year. I haul my girls around in it all the time now and there is even a little “trunk” I can fit a bag of groceries in.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: January 02, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »

I left my bike parked outside last night. Today it was covered in frost when I went out to start my commute. The frosty helmet was, well, frosty when I put it on. Brrr

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #479 on: January 03, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »

I left my bike parked outside last night. Today it was covered in frost when I went out to start my commute. The frosty helmet was, well, frosty when I put it on. Brrr
It's been cold in the Bay Area, in the 30's each morning I leave my place. I feel like I pedal slower in cold weather.

Can you store your bike indoors anywhere? Somehow I've gotten my wife conditioned to allow mine to be kept the living room at home. My boss hasn't mentioned any problems with keeping it on top of a filing cabinet in my cube at work either.

Next week we have wet roads to look forward to.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #480 on: January 03, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
I’m in the Bay Area too. :)

I do have a shed I normally store it in. I had just left it outside out of laziness. I didn’t last night!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Pondering 2019 biking goals. I'm thinking at least 75% of commutes by bike. I'm also curious to see how long I can go without driving. A week should be doable, beyond that we'll see!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »
Hey folks: I'm alive. Haven't posted in like 3 years. Used to bike commute 9 miles each way in the Gulf South.

I got laid off 2 years ago (so didn't need to commute) and since then, got a job 25 miles away a year ago.

25 miles each way is a bit too far for me, unfortunately. I mean, I could physically do it, yeah. But 90 minutes commute on top of working 9 hours and an hour lunch... that means I'd be out the house for 13+ hours every day. And I'd have to get up at 4:00 to leave before 5, because I have to be at work for 6:30.

Now, I know you're probably thinking this sounds like whining, but I've done the bike commute for years. I've done 60+ milers in sub-freezing weather. This is as much a confession and an encouragement as anything else.

I might entertain the idea of commuting again, but it would take a LOT of sacrifice of time.

Does anybody else do 25+ mile commutes? What's your setup look like? What's your average time? How long is your workday?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »
The rains are back in SoCal (and I'm back to work after a 2-week hiatus, ugh), and I'm pleased to note that my new rainproof biking jacket actually works!  Could probably use waterproof gloves still, but I'm not sure if it's worth a purchase for the ~10 times a year I'll have to ride in the rain.  So far, my hands are not getting too cold even when wet in my current gloves. 

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: January 07, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
Does anybody else do 25+ mile commutes? What's your setup look like? What's your average time? How long is your workday?

Not sure the rules of mentioning other forums, so if this is a no-no, mods, feel free to remove this post.  There is a commuter sub-forum to a bicycle discussion forum where you might get more traction on this particular topic.  25 is a long way.  You could always do the bike drive approach.  Drive to work with bike in/on car.  Bike home leaving car at work.  Bike back to work, drive home etc.  Makes it more doable, but still has challenges and assumes you have a car and can leave it at work.

Best of luck!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #485 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »

Not sure the rules of mentioning other forums, so if this is a no-no, mods, feel free to remove this post.  There is a commuter sub-forum to a bicycle discussion forum where you might get more traction on this particular topic.  25 is a long way.  You could always do the bike drive approach.  Drive to work with bike in/on car.  Bike home leaving car at work.  Bike back to work, drive home etc.  Makes it more doable, but still has challenges and assumes you have a car and can leave it at work.

Best of luck!

Thanks, hadn't posted in a while, and didn't see the sub-forum right away... can delete if needed, sorry!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #486 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »
Usually people are referring to “butt pants”, as my husband calls them. I got to the point of just wearing running pants now that I am used to my saddle.

I went to my husband’s work today on our day off just to have a quiet space where we could work and talk about personal finance stuff. I convinced him to ride with me instead of drive. It was great except for on the way there he swerved to avoid a squirrel crossing the road. I couldn’t swerve fast enough and I hit the poor thing. It ran away but I feel bad thinking about the damage it must be suffering now.

Give them wide berth.  Squirrels are just about the perfect size to get stuck in your spokes and then jammed in your front fork.  Launching you over the handlebars.  Don't ask me how I learned this.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
I try to give them a wide berth now. Ill admit that every time a little creature stirs somewhere close to my bike my hearts skips a little beat. Thy are fast, they always seem to move orthogonally to my direction of motion, and on an ebike im moving pretty fast.

@FunkyStickman: On the question of a 25-mile commute: dude, the fact that you are even contemplating that is bad-ass. My thought went immediately to ebike. I have the pleasure of riding one to work and it is awesome. Zippy acceleration, top speed of 28 mi/hr (though I haven’t built myself up physically yet to reach that speed), it makes it possible for me to bike to work wheels otherwise I could fit in the time. I have my battery charging in my desk here at work right now.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: January 07, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
FunkyStickMan I have an acquaintance who commutes that distance using a lightweight road bike. Takes her about an hour. I don't know what her work situation is (clothing etc) - I've just seen a lot of strava photos with commutes of 24-26 miles :) The area of our metro where she lives an hour by bike is almost certainly faster than driving if she's working normal hours.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
Give them wide berth.  Squirrels are just about the perfect size to get stuck in your spokes and then jammed in your front fork.  Launching you over the handlebars.  Don't ask me how I learned this.
Never thought about the potential for such a collision. I'd say that just like with traffic, being predictable would be a benefit. I'm sure the squirrel isn't interested in being run over by (or caught in the spokes of) a bike; so a sudden swerve when you are close to the squirrel seems as likely as not to cross the path it decides to take to evade.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2019, 12:56:02 PM »
Never thought about the potential for such a collision. I'd say that just like with traffic, being predictable would be a benefit. I'm sure the squirrel isn't interested in being run over by (or caught in the spokes of) a bike; so a sudden swerve when you are close to the squirrel seems as likely as not to cross the path it decides to take to evade.

I've taken to loudly yelling at them, as I approach . . . which usually gets them to stop (in my experience this has also worked for deer, chipmunks, and coyotes . . . ineffective with turtles, frogs, and large aggressive dogs.)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
If you have bladed spokes you could sharpen them. Slight weight reduction, uncoated steel would rust though... you'd go through the wind and squirrels a easier. Slice vegetables with your wheels at home or on the road?

Seriously though, that's a gruesome discovery.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
Squirrels are no joke.  I know some people who were seriously injured (major broken bones, etc) from a run in with a squirrel.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
Accrued enough Amazon points to get that TM-1 Spoke Tension Meter. It's a pretty neat tool, even if it isn't super precise. Good to know my spoke tension is balanced along with my wheels being true. Not sure what to save up for next... WAG-4? DAG-2.2? I like being my own bike mechanic. Seems like a worthy thing to fund.

Other specialty tools I'd recommend:
Spin Doctor Truing Stand
CN-10 Cable and housing cutter
Harbor Freight 1/4in drive Torque Wrench (only think that stinks is converting from Nm to in-lbs)

TrMama

« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:27 PM »
Accrued enough Amazon points to get that TM-1 Spoke Tension Meter. It's a pretty neat tool, even if it isn't super precise. Good to know my spoke tension is balanced along with my wheels being true. Not sure what to save up for next... WAG-4? DAG-2.2? I like being my own bike mechanic. Seems like a worthy thing to fund.

Other specialty tools I'd recommend:
Spin Doctor Truing Stand
CN-10 Cable and housing cutter
Harbor Freight 1/4in drive Torque Wrench (only think that stinks is converting from Nm to in-lbs)

Chain measuring gauge, chain whip and the gizmo you use on the other side of the wheel to get the rear cassette off. Also, chain breaking tool. And a tool box to keep all the bits and pieces in. Basically I've been buying tools as I need them. However, I was looking at tool kids last night and realized I've have been better off to just buy a kit since it's cheaper than buying tools piecemeal.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »

My commute is not that far, but it's pretty far.  It's about a 32 mile round trip.  I try to do it 2-3 times a week once the weather is nicer and it can definitely be draining.  I am also single, so the time commitment isn't an issue.  I couldn't imagine trying to do this with a family.

I think your best bet would be to drive part way and bike commute the rest.  Slowly stretch out the bike miles until you find your sweet spot. 

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
Yesterday, rode in Chicago weather, 16F, equal to about -9C, which would be a new low for me. 

It was clear, but just cold. 

Today was only my 3rd day biking in 2019, mainly due to snow rather than cold.  Also had a few airports trips around work I had to make. 

There are 251 working days for me in 2019, not counting vacation days.  My goal is 200/251 days biked for 2019.  I will remove 1 day from both numerator and denominator for each vacation day I take. 

So far I'm only 3/8 after two weeks.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »
Cross-posting an update from my journal. My goal is to bike commute 75% of the time, so I'm not quite there yet.

I'm at a 40% for biking to work in my first week. I usually feel genuinely upbeat at the end of the commute, but I can't quite convince myself of that immediately BEFORE the commute, when I'm sleepy and chilly. I suspect this has to do with biking still not truly being a habit for me, since I'm still trying to rationalize my way out of it - and since I do have a backup option that means I'm never FORCED to bike. (That backup option often lengthens Boyfriend's commute, though, so it's not exactly fair to rely on it often.)

I missed the first two days of this week cause I didn't want to bike with cramps, so at least that should be solved next week. Not sure if the weather* will hold, though.

*my weather complaints being a >50% chance of rain with temps in the low sixties. I acknowledge the superior baddasity of all winter cyclists.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:46:14 AM by Tass »

TrMama

« Reply #498 on: January 11, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »

My commute is not that far, but it's pretty far.  It's about a 32 mile round trip.  I try to do it 2-3 times a week once the weather is nicer and it can definitely be draining.  I am also single, so the time commitment isn't an issue.  I couldn't imagine trying to do this with a family.

I think your best bet would be to drive part way and bike commute the rest.  Slowly stretch out the bike miles until you find your sweet spot.

I test rode an ebike last weekend and was blown away by how fast I was able to go with basically no effort. If I were contemplating a really long commute like yours an ebike would be high on my list of "needs". Lots of shops around here will rent them to you for a week. You could try something like that to see if it's a feasible option for you before committing.

On that note, has anyone put their teen on an ebike? Any problems with them riding dangerously?

DH and I are seriously considering this as an option for our kids in the next few years. Oldest is currently only 12 and is quite old enough to be out unsupervised regardless of transportation mode. However, she won't be able to legally drive alone until she's 17 here, which is way too many more years of car based chauffeuring for my taste.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »
Yesterday, rode in Chicago weather, 16F, equal to about -9C, which would be a new low for me. 

It was clear, but just cold. 

Today was only my 3rd day biking in 2019, mainly due to snow rather than cold.  Also had a few airports trips around work I had to make. 

There are 251 working days for me in 2019, not counting vacation days.  My goal is 200/251 days biked for 2019.  I will remove 1 day from both numerator and denominator for each vacation day I take. 

So far I'm only 3/8 after two weeks.

I love the idea of keeping track of the fractional days choosing a Mustachian travel option. I'll see if I can keep track this year as well. So far I'm 4/5 using the bike and public transportation. 80% seems like a reasonable goal, in that there are typically some days I more-or-less have to drive.