Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 314879 times)

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #900 on: August 01, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
The sandals discussion on the previous page of this thread has a link to a Sheldon Brown blog article on sandals. Some people wear them year round. There’s a photo of Sheldon in sandals on a New Year’s Day ride in Boston.

Interesting. I will use sandals and hopefully that will resolve the issue. It thankfully doesn't get too cold where I live, so after reading that article, it should be okay in the winter time as well. As long as the sandals don't also cause an issue!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #901 on: August 01, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »
I used to have toe clips on my pedals which were a bit restrictive and could lead to numbness for longer rides. Eventually I decided that they just weren't worth having, so now ride with regular platform pedals (with a decent amount of grip due to the short vertical studs around the edges). I haven't yet tried fancy clipless pedals and shoes yet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #902 on: August 01, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
A great many cycling shoes are very narrow in the toe box and will cause numbness as your feet swell during a ride.  It's also super easy to over-tighten cycling shoes . . . where they feel OK for an hour or so but then you feel almost crippled after that.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #903 on: August 01, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
Sometimes I encounter that if I am exercising on something like an elliptical and I am not picking up my feet frequently enough. I presume it is from having pressure on my feet in the same position for too long. Could it be something like that or do you think it is the shoes?

Hard to say. I'll try sandals and see if that has a positive effect.

The rides are not long either. 25 minutes each way to work. To already be having issues is a concern.
When I experience this on the elliptical it happens well within my 30-min workout.  Not saying this is what is happening to you, but it isn’t out of the question. I hope the sandals help

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #904 on: August 02, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »
Sometimes I encounter that if I am exercising on something like an elliptical and I am not picking up my feet frequently enough. I presume it is from having pressure on my feet in the same position for too long. Could it be something like that or do you think it is the shoes?

Hard to say. I'll try sandals and see if that has a positive effect.

The rides are not long either. 25 minutes each way to work. To already be having issues is a concern.
When I experience this on the elliptical it happens well within my 30-min workout. Not saying this is what is happening to you, but it isn’t out of the question. I hope the sandals help

I would say it is most likely at this point. Yeah, fingers crossed with the sandals. They are good sandals which I purchased a few years ago when I visited Cuba. They have proved to be a great purchase so far, and if they help with cycling, it will be an even more valuable purchase :)

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #905 on: August 02, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
I have been cycling to work for 4 solid months each weekday, except when I have every other Friday off from work. I missed 3 days of cycling due to work-related stuff. Here are some thoughts:

It's 4.5 miles each way. Now, a lot of people, especially don't who don't cycle, will say, "That's pretty good!" implying it's easy. NOPE. It was extremely hard for me to actually cycle this distance without my legs and lungs being completely worn out, even as someone who regularly strength trains, hikes, runs. Like you know, squats deadlifts, HIIT, the whole shebang. When I 'tested' the route, my legs were done for by the time I got back and I couldn't cycle continually, often needing to coast. Road crowns were always a struggle, as were micro hills. Also, it was literally very really hard on my butt/bones and left me sore for a long time.  I'd experienced that a few weeks prior with a 23-mile leisurely bike ride, but for some reason I didn't think to get bike shorts prior to that because I thought with the shorter distance that it wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, I quickly invested in some bike shorts and that solved that problem.

On the topic of bike shorts, I also want to point out, because I've heard this in real life and also read this sort of comment on this thread... Just because someone thinks you don't need padded bike shorts until a certain # of mileage, doesn't mean you should listen to them! Ultimately, you should do what works for you. So if people are throwing out comments like, "I don't feel the need to wear padded bike shorts unless I'm biking more than 10 or 20 miles," who the eff cares what they think? Ultimately, it's your own butt that's on the line. If your saddle isn't comfortable, you can change it to something that suits you so that you may not need padded bike shorts, but currently I do not have the patience to experiment with this.

Anyway, my cycling commute became easier for sure, but I think that towards the 2-month mark was I actually able to say my cycling fitness level improved significantly, and I could comfortably go the distance without it feeling completely difficult. Now it's really easy! The only thing that hasn't really gotten that much easier is carrying my bike up 3 flights of stairs every day... even though I've taken the stairs daily for like 3+ freaking years (and that hasn't even gotten easier without a bike, lol).

Also, I'm pretty excited to say the google time estimate for cycling this distance/route is 26 minutes, and when I first began, it would take me  29-30 minutes to cycle. Over a couple months, I whittled that down minute by minute to 19-20 minutes (maybe faster if I didn't obey traffic laws). I have cycled in the rain and in oppressively hot summer temperatures that seems permanently fixed between 95 and 105-degree and will continue this winter. When I wake up in the morning, it's the default routine and I don't question it. Part of that is from utter abhorrence of public transportation in this city (which I used to commute for a month before I decided to 100% commit to cycling), and another part is from simply not owning a car. Wish I could have done this earlier, but the route to my last job involved being on the highway and that just wasn't for me. I love the typical things people love about cycling, like incorporating additional exercise into your routine and feeling less stressed about sitting in traffic. I also feel like it's great for deciding when I want to leave and how fast I want to get there, because that's something you cannot control with public transportation, especially if it's not punctual or reliable.

This is getting kind of long, but I also saw a question in this thread asking what people do with clothes when they get to work.

I use and love the Timbuk2 Raider backpack, which has an inner pocket and flat board which you carefully fold your clothes with, then slip them into the pocket. This helps keep the clothes neat and sort of 'pressed' looking, so they don't get all wrinkly by the time I get to work. I'm sure people can configure a similar system if they don't have that backpack. The backpack itself is pretty solid choice and really inexpensive (I purchased mine on ebay for all of $25). For a daily commute, it's perfect. As someone who eats a lot and is concerned about space to carry food, it can carry quite a bit depending on how efficient one is at packing and if one has a system (of having extra things at work, so they don't need to be transported every day). My partner doesn't even cycle, and he ended up getting this backpack because it's a great size and weight (about 1 lb). For rain, I use put a hi-viz rain cover over it since it's not waterproof. Super inexpensive fix, and great for visibility.

I also leave at least 1 shirt, pants, bra, and underwear in the locker at work so that if I forget something in the morning (and I have!), I won't have an issue.  Instead of a full-sized bath towel, I just use a slightly larger hand towel so it fits neatly into my backpack and with the small size, it will dry faster. I'm just rinsing my body, not trying to soak up and completely restyle my hair or anything, so a big towel really is completely unnecessary since I'm trying to cut down bulk/weight for traveling. Since the locker itself isn't big enough to hang multiple garments and doesn't provide enough air circulation to actually dry the towel and the sweaty cycling attire, I choose to hang them up underneath my desk at work using damage-free adhesive Command hooks. And no, it doesn't smell, and it really shouldn't, unless you're rewearing sweaty cycling gear every day or something. I used to hang the clothes on my gear shifters, but I prefer the command hooks since they're out of sight.

Also, this hasn't seemed to be addressed here yet, but sunscreen is really important. I've gotten some weird ass tan lines from cycling, but I tan extremely easily anyway. Lately, I've been enjoying Blue Lizard mineral sunscreens for face and body. Absorbs quickly, not greasy,  minimal white cast. Sunscreen is imperative if you want to avoid that leathery skin look later in life. Or if you just burn easily.

I haven't experienced any feet/shoe issues. Since I do not have pedals that necessitate clip-in shoes, I just use a pair of lightweight running shoes with running socks, or sometimes Keds with no socks.

Editing to add: Sunglasses are also imperative. Just like you should never cycle without a helmet, you shouldn't attempt cycling without sunglasses or eye protection of some sort. Road junk and debris WILL get into your eyes, even if it's not a windy day. Ask me how I know this. If you can get sunglasses that curve and minimize exposure, that's even better. Because you will definitely get road junk flying into your eyes from the sides, too.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:28:00 AM by imadandylion »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
All good tips. I’d add that I added a wide brim to my helmet for sun protection as I seem to commute at times and angles that the sun is in my eyes. I have to remember to put sunblock on the tops of my feet which I often forget.

Finally: sunblock is important for avoiding sunburn and wrinkles and looming leathery later, but most importantly for avoiding CANCER.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #907 on: August 02, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
I am not very impressed with my bike shorts so far. The crotch padding seems to be rubbing in exactly the same place that underwear was rubbing anyway. And as mentioned above, my butt was never in need of padding. I will say they are nice and grippy and don't roll up, at least.

Also, this hasn't seemed to be addressed here yet, but sunscreen is really important. I've gotten some weird ass tan lines from cycling, but I tan extremely easily anyway. Lately, I've been enjoying Blue Lizard mineral sunscreens for face and body. Absorbs quickly, not greasy,  minimal white cast. Sunscreen is imperative if you want to avoid that leathery skin look later in life. Or if you just burn easily.

Hmm. I have never worn sunscreen on my commute and have not noticed any tanning (although until recently I was wearing long leggings). I burn moderately easily, but my commute is not at a high-UV time of day, nor is it very long. Maybe I'll start sunscreen if I notice tan lines developing? For the moment it doesn't seem to have a huge impact.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #908 on: August 02, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
@ysette9 Yes, definitely cancer is something to avoid, too! It's annoying to have to apply before riding, but it's worth it. If anyone is wondering, I do usually take care to remove makeup/prior sunscreen application before reapplication, right before riding with makeup wipes or a face wash.  These wipes are inexpensive and good: https://www.ulta.com/cleansing-oil-makeup-removing-cloths-soothing-refreshing?productId=pimprod2005058

@Tass If the time is short and the UV-index is actually low during time of riding, I would probably skip sunscreen, too, unless you are using skincare products that make your skin more sensitive/thinner (such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid, or retinoids). I don't use sunscreen at 6 AM for this reason. But the sun is really harsh where I live at 4 or 5 PM, so it's a must, especially since I do use skincare products that will make my face more prone to sun damage.

If you're lucky to not need padded shorts, that's great. If you're interested in it anyway or for anyone else who is curious, I use these shorts:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/womens-sl-pro-shorts/p/152014?color=243085-152014

And I also use Lululemon bike shorts, which are pretty good except for the waistband rolling down. You're not wearing underwear with the shorts, right? Because I don't. I think that's important. These don't rub me in any way. Their chamoix is cleverly and seamlessly sewn into the short, unlike the Specialized ones, but the Specialized ones actually also don't bother me at all.

I also tried Rapha shorts, which also have the seamless chamoix integration and also did not produce any rubbing, but the construction was very low quality (falling apart at the seams) so I returned after trying two of them.

The bike shorts are expensive, but they are worth it to me. I prefer to buy fewer, better quality things and don't believe in buying cheap crap that will fall apart. Cheaper stuff is more trouble, time, and money than it's worth to deal with.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #909 on: August 02, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Nope, not using underwear with the shorts, but I don't actually think it's the seams causing the problem - the padding itself is wider than my "thigh gap" (as it were). Thus, rubbing. I've never had a problem with butt soreness, but now that I'm sweating I'm concerned about chafing.

TrMama

« Reply #910 on: August 02, 2019, 01:02:24 PM »
I've found that really cheap brands of bike shorts have padding that's stiff and feels like cardboard. If you don't need it and it's causing discomfort, you should be able to remove it using a basic seam ripper. Then you'll have unpadded bike shorts.

Higher end bike shorts should have better quality padding. Plus different brands are known for having thicker/thinner padding, so you could shop around.

I put sunscreen on most mornings. Even days I don't bike, I try to at least put some on my face. I don't burn very often, but I do get tanned and many older members of my family have had suspicious moles removed (often from their faces). I'm trying to make sure I keep as much of my original skin as possible.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #911 on: August 08, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »
Is your entire foot numb, foot + ankle, just the sole, or the top of the foot?

Just the toes. And the three smaller ones. Rest of the foot is fine. Very strange, but annoying sensation.

This sounds a lot like a nerve issue... very possibly a nerve in your groin getting pressure where it's not supposed to. You might want to try a different saddle.

I used to have toe clips on my pedals which were a bit restrictive and could lead to numbness for longer rides. Eventually I decided that they just weren't worth having, so now ride with regular platform pedals (with a decent amount of grip due to the short vertical studs around the edges). I haven't yet tried fancy clipless pedals and shoes yet.

I rode with toe clips for 20+ years, loved them. Eventually went the fancy clipless route... and honestly, not impressed. They work, yeah, but the cost is ridiculous for what they are. When I wear out this set of cleats, seriously thinking about going back to cages with straps.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #912 on: August 08, 2019, 05:50:46 PM »
Sunglasses are also imperative. Just like you should never cycle without a helmet, you shouldn't attempt cycling without sunglasses or eye protection of some sort. Road junk and debris WILL get into your eyes, even if it's not a windy day. Ask me how I know this. If you can get sunglasses that curve and minimize exposure, that's even better. Because you will definitely get road junk flying into your eyes from the sides, too.

Completely agree. There isn't many things more important than being able to see while you're biking.
I wear safety glasses, they're so inexpensive it's ridiculous:
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/rugged-blue-diablo-safety-glasses.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=470315839917&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KfXmLv04wIVk7fsCh0MjwjFEAYYCCABEgIUe_D_BwE

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #913 on: August 08, 2019, 06:36:21 PM »

Completely agree. There isn't many things more important than being able to see while you're biking.
I wear safety glasses, they're so inexpensive it's ridiculous:
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/rugged-blue-diablo-safety-glasses.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=470315839917&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KfXmLv04wIVk7fsCh0MjwjFEAYYCCABEgIUe_D_BwE

@GreenToTheCore Great idea! I do wonder though if they're still safe during crashes though? For instance, I know some glasses manufacturers, like the brand Smith, make ones where they don't shatter upon impact when you crash.

You can also get polychromatic sunglasses that transition from sunglasses to clear depending on the lighting conditions.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #914 on: August 08, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
And, wouldn't you know it, right after I posted about not really needing clipless pedals... my set of Shimanos broke. The pivot pin backed out once a while ago... I popped it back in, but the damage to the plastic had been done. Was only a matter of time before it went. Got an aluminum pair still on the Peugeot, will use those for now. Need to swap the toe clips from my son's bike.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:11 PM »
Got a flat last week and sweet talked my husband into fixing it for me the other evening. As he pulled off my front wheel there were some tiny parts of the front through-axel that broke: a c-clip and two tiny o-rings. He managed to put things back together again but not before he complained about the poor design.

I rode it yesterday to my morning appointment. Afterwards I saw several messages from him imploring me to come home and take the car to work instead. He had thought about it more and decided it wasn’t safe to ride as-is. Damn it.

I took the bike to the store this afternoon and asked about it. Initially the shop guy assured me it was totally safe, but later after more reflection admitted it was better I leave the bike so he can order replacement parts.

Naturally the manufacturer doesn’t sell the tiny c-clip and o-rings separately but as part of a $50 full axel replacement part. Sigh

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #916 on: August 09, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
Great idea! I do wonder though if they're still safe during crashes though? For instance, I know some glasses manufacturers, like the brand Smith, make ones where they don't shatter upon impact when you crash.

Honestly, I assumed that if they were good enough for shards flying through the machine shop then they were good enough to land on.
But no time like the present to learn more, turns out they're held to ANSI Z87 (the website even says "exceeds ANSI Z87").

The "drop ball" test determines the basic impact safety classification for lenses. In this test, a one-inch diameter steel ball is dropped onto the lens from a height of 50 inches. To pass, the lens must not crack, chip or break. All glass safety lenses must undergo this test. For plastic safety lenses, however, only a statistical sample of a large batch of lenses needs to be tested.

Makes me want to go borrow a 1" steel ball and see what happens :)

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #917 on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
Well, its been a few weeks, and my legs feel like jelly. Figured they would be feeling stronger!

My distances are not that extreme either. My commute to work each way is less than 4 miles. There are hills, but nothing too crazy.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #918 on: August 22, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
It takes a little while, @Itrembac, or at least it did for me. A week not to be entirely miserable, and then several months of slowly getting better at it before I wasn't exhausted by Friday. And my trip is only about 3 miles! I biked about half the days in January; I haven't missed a day yet in August. You're making progress, even if it's invisible right now.

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #919 on: August 22, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
It takes a little while, @Itrembac, or at least it did for me. A week not to be entirely miserable, and then several months of slowly getting better at it before I wasn't exhausted by Friday. And my trip is only about 3 miles! I biked about half the days in January; I haven't missed a day yet in August. You're making progress, even if it's invisible right now.

That is reassuring! Thanks for posting.

It got a bit cooler where I live the last few days, which definitely helps. Also had my first rain day, which went fine.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #920 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »
Great job @Itrembac and @Tass for biking!

Are you biking really fast? Sometimes it helps if you adopt the "I'll get there when I get there" attitude. I recommend foam rolling your legs regularly.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #921 on: August 22, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »
Ha, for months the only way I could get myself onto the bike was by promising myself I could go as slow as I wanted. Now I'm disappointed on the way home if I don't feel like I got to work hard enough! It's a great end-of-the-day stress reliever. I am still not that fast, though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #922 on: August 22, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
Legs be damned.  I get very upset when my average commute speed drops below 30 kph.  :P

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:02 PM »
Well, its been a few weeks, and my legs feel like jelly. Figured they would be feeling stronger!

My distances are not that extreme either. My commute to work each way is less than 4 miles. There are hills, but nothing too crazy.

Probably 2-3 months until you can do the ride with relative ease depending on your level of fitness.  I find myself trying to ride in more difficult gears now to get some extra resistance.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #924 on: August 23, 2019, 09:09:59 AM »
Humblebrag time: I finally got my twenty-mile (biweekly) commute under 1.5 hours (13.3 mph / 21.5 kph). Still haven't figured out how to ride without hand numbness since I purchased my first drop bar bike. Maybe I'll need to splurge on gloves?

TrMama

« Reply #925 on: August 23, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
Humblebrag time: I finally got my twenty-mile (biweekly) commute under 1.5 hours (13.3 mph / 21.5 kph). Still haven't figured out how to ride without hand numbness since I purchased my first drop bar bike. Maybe I'll need to splurge on gloves?

Yes, gloves are a good plan. Get the ones will gel pads. Also double check your bike fit. It's also good to switch up your hand position from time to time on the bars to move the pressure points around.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #926 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

Yes, gloves are a good plan. Get the ones will gel pads. Also double check your bike fit. It's also good to switch up your hand position from time to time on the bars to move the pressure points around.

The above is good advice.  Personally, I'd start with fit.  A good fitting bike will be comfy even without gloves for a couple hours.

There are a couple things I'd try first to alleviate hand pain regarding fit.  The first is sliding your saddle back a little bit.  I know that sounds weird, but stand up and try doing a squat.  Notice how your ass has to stick way out to balanc your body?  Same thing applies on a bike.  If your butt is too far forward you end up falling forward on your hands, which puts way too much pressure there.

The next thing to try is raising your bars a bit.  If they're about level with the saddle then you can ignore this, but if there's a 10-15 cm drop most people will find that this puts too much pressure on the hands.  I've found that a longer stem without as much drop will keep your position aerodynamic while reducing pressure on the hands.

Finally an easy one . . . make sure that you're using a tire pressure calculator to figure out how much pressure you need.  (The rear should always have more than the front.)  The tires are your shock absorbers on a road bike.  If you're just pumping to the max on the sidewall, you will have a painful and jarring ride . . . but even worse, you end up going slower because the tire bounces rather than deforming as it goes over little bumps and irregularities in the pavement.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: August 23, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
Thank you both for the advice. Resisted gloves because I never needed them with the flat bar, but realize now that gloves will perform the same function on my new bike as the padded grips did on my old bike.

I've resisted getting fitted (I bought my bike used), because I'm a cheap ass. I think I will begin to start messing with the geometric variables if the gloves don't help and see if that relieves the numbness. As for the tire pressures, I usually aim for the lower number on the sidewall (I'm about 160 lb / 73 kg). As for the different tire pressures front to rear, I've read conflicting advice in this department, with the idea that front tire pressures need to be able to accommodate safe emergency stops and fast downhill runs, both of which cause significant weight transfer to the front.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #928 on: August 23, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »
Legs be damned.  I get very upset when my average commute speed drops below 30 kph.  :P

I don't think of you as a newbie ;)

@Itrembac it also took me a few months to get my "legs". Part of it was realizing I needed to eat more! Now I bike year-round but still find I'll feel fatigued every now and then, whether hormones or weather or something random, but I definitely have a good sense of what my "normal" is :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #929 on: August 23, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Thank you both for the advice. Resisted gloves because I never needed them with the flat bar, but realize now that gloves will perform the same function on my new bike as the padded grips did on my old bike.

I've resisted getting fitted (I bought my bike used), because I'm a cheap ass. I think I will begin to start messing with the geometric variables if the gloves don't help and see if that relieves the numbness. As for the tire pressures, I usually aim for the lower number on the sidewall (I'm about 160 lb / 73 kg). As for the different tire pressures front to rear, I've read conflicting advice in this department, with the idea that front tire pressures need to be able to accommodate safe emergency stops and fast downhill runs, both of which cause significant weight transfer to the front.

I've been bombing down hills all summer long, and regularly hit 70+ kph doing so.  Higher pressure can let a tire roll better . . . but it will actually reduce your grip.  Your front tire is all about grip.  Emergency stops are safer with lower pressure in the front than the rear tire.  That said, I wouldn't go below the pressure listed on the sidewall, there's risk of the tire coming off under hard turns.

What size tires are you running?  If your bike frame can accommodate it, moving up a size (25 to 28 or going from 28 to 32) will let you run lower pressures and act as better shock absorbers.

You can also give double wrapping your bars a shot if you don't want to buy gloves:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkb5LQ7uhok.  I double wrap my winter bike's handlebars and find it is much more cushy than regular single layers of bar tape.

As far as messing with fit - do this first.  If the issue is fit, then gloves/bar tape isn't going to be a band-aid over a gaping flesh wound.  Tinkering with an allen key for a few hours on a Saturday is the cheapest (and therefore best) place to start.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #930 on: August 23, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
What size tires are you running?  If your bike frame can accommodate it, moving up a size (25 to 28 or going from 28 to 32) will let you run lower pressures and act as better shock absorbers.

You can also give double wrapping your bars a shot if you don't want to buy gloves:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkb5LQ7uhok.  I double wrap my winter bike's handlebars and find it is much more cushy than regular single layers of bar tape.

As far as messing with fit - do this first.  If the issue is fit, then gloves/bar tape isn't going to be a band-aid over a gaping flesh wound.  Tinkering with an allen key for a few hours on a Saturday is the cheapest (and therefore best) place to start.

The bike came with size 25 tires; my plan is to wear them out before considering moving up to 28 (because: cheap ass). I agree I need to mess with fit, but I don't want to change more than one variable at a time, so I'll tackle that challenge after I give the gloves a shot and see how things go.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #931 on: August 23, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
There is a huge difference in comfort going from 25 - 28.  At least there was for me.  I'm currently running 28s in front and 32 in the back at 70 and 80 psi . . . but I'm a 200 lb guy.  A set of continental ultra sport IIs can usually be had for around 12$.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #932 on: August 23, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
My flat bar bike has 28 tires and I couldn't agree more. A lot of the high frequency noise seems to be filtered out with the larger tires.

Did you change rims when you went to larger tires? My understanding is that the rim-to-tire width is a large factor in wheel aerodynamics, and that having a tire that's larger than the rim will reduce speed considerably.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #933 on: August 23, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
I've got 31 mm deep aluminum rims  . . . more for strength than for aerodynamic benefit if they offer any over box sections.  Technically it would probably be better to run 25s on them I suppose.  But honestly, the rider's body position has a much greater impact on aerodynamics than the whole wheel system.  I can comfortably hold my body in a lower and more aerodynamic position for longer with a bigger tire on the front eating those vibrations.  That makes it no contest in my mind.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #934 on: August 28, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
Today was my first day riding a bike to work! Got a bike yesterday, spent some time yesterday just getting used to riding a bike again, and then rode it this morning. I just started working here and it's only a 1.3 mile ride from my house. So far, everything has been going really great - roads are pretty paved in this area and most roads have a bike lane. If they don't, drivers are used to sharing the road with bikers and I haven't encountered any jerks yet (I know, it's only been a day, but I'm excited!)

Yesterday I probably rode a total of about 3 miles, and so far today I've rode a total of 3.3 miles (commute to work + other riding beforehand). My legs are the tiniest bit jelly but the biggest thing is that my sit bones hurts. I spoke to another cyclist this morning and he told me to give it a week. I'm hoping that's true because otherwise, this whole biking thing is going to be a piece of cake!

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #935 on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
Today was my first day riding a bike to work! Got a bike yesterday, spent some time yesterday just getting used to riding a bike again, and then rode it this morning. I just started working here and it's only a 1.3 mile ride from my house. So far, everything has been going really great - roads are pretty paved in this area and most roads have a bike lane. If they don't, drivers are used to sharing the road with bikers and I haven't encountered any jerks yet (I know, it's only been a day, but I'm excited!)

Yesterday I probably rode a total of about 3 miles, and so far today I've rode a total of 3.3 miles (commute to work + other riding beforehand). My legs are the tiniest bit jelly but the biggest thing is that my sit bones hurts. I spoke to another cyclist this morning and he told me to give it a week. I'm hoping that's true because otherwise, this whole biking thing is going to be a piece of cake!

Good job! A three-mile roundtrip will be cake after a short adjustment period. Give it a few weeks while avoiding any additional "pleasure" riding and I imagine your sit bones should acclimate fairly quickly. If not, then there is probably something wrong with your setup (geometry and/or saddle).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #936 on: August 28, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
I've been thinking of getting an e-bike recently, but I can't decide if it's worth the cost.  My commute is just 9-10 miles each way, depending on the route, and our new neighborhood is much hillier than our old neighborhood, increasing my reluctance to bike places.  I thought an e-bike would help with that, but I'm hesitant to drop too much money on something I'm not sure I will use enough.

Some considerations:
-My work doesn't have any bike racks or storage, so I won't have anywhere secure to store it
-I would be riding in the dark more, which makes me nervous
-I would have to wake up earlier and get home later, because my commute would about double in time - I don't currently bike for exercise, to this would not replace other workout time, it is just extra time coming out of chores and relaxation, which I already don't have enough time for
-The route is about half on trails and half on roads, some of them heavy traffic roads. I haven't checked for bike lanes, but I'd be surprised if they had them.  Trying to avoid the major roads would add further time and distance.
-Besides work, the library is a decent biking distance, I usually do groceries on the way home (but might not pass the good stores on the bike route), family is all too far to bike, most other things we use public transit

I currently haven't biked at all since moving here, and I feel bad about it but I'm having trouble overcoming the hills and the increased distance.  I also recently decreased my monthly personal spend to funnel more money into house repairs, so I'd be saving up for many months to have enough personal spend for even a basic bike or conversion kit, which is also a bit demoralizing.

Convince me?

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: August 28, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »
I've been thinking of getting an e-bike recently, but I can't decide if it's worth the cost.  My commute is just 9-10 miles each way, depending on the route, and our new neighborhood is much hillier than our old neighborhood, increasing my reluctance to bike places.  I thought an e-bike would help with that, but I'm hesitant to drop too much money on something I'm not sure I will use enough.

Some considerations:
-My work doesn't have any bike racks or storage, so I won't have anywhere secure to store it
-I would have to wake up earlier and get home later, because my commute would about double in time - I don't currently bike for exercise, to this would not replace other workout time, it is just extra time coming out of chores and relaxation, which I already don't have enough time for
-The route is about half on trails and half on roads, some of them heavy traffic roads. I haven't checked for bike lanes, but I'd be surprised if they had them.  Trying to avoid the major roads would add further time and distance.
-Besides work, the library is a decent biking distance, I usually do groceries on the way home (but might not pass the good stores on the bike route), family is all too far to bike, most other things we use public transit

I currently haven't biked at all since moving here, and I feel bad about it but I'm having trouble overcoming the hills and the increased distance.  I also recently decreased my monthly personal spend to funnel more money into house repairs, so I'd be saving up for many months to have enough personal spend for even a basic bike or conversion kit, which is also a bit demoralizing.

Convince me?

Biking to work is not appropriate for everyone in every situation, but I'll play devil's advocate.

-Definitely need secure storage, in my opinion. Even locking up to a fence or pole would be enough to deter potential thieves.
-Riding in the dark is not as fun, but a good set of lights can be bought for less than $100 (a minor outlay when considering overall cost). The new lithium/USB lights are great and eliminate regular battery purchases.
-Are you sure your commute would be double-time on an E-bike? You'll be traveling 20+ mph, and only needing to stop the same number of times or less than cars do.
-Being able to avoid major roads is a huge stipulation for me. I thought there was no way it could be done for my commute, until I did some research and found dedicated bike trails that avoid 90% of the roads (and all major roads) and wide bike lanes for the rest. So I agree, having to ride major roads without bike lanes would be a deal-breaker for me, but hopefully your city has a few amenities you aren't yet aware of.
-Hills are mostly irrelevant on an E-bike. I think the best way to piss off a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them on an E-bike up a hill (speaking tongue-in-cheek as one of those lycra riders).

Here's my recommendation. Pick one day (preferably soon before it gets too dark in the morning, but it could wait til late spring if that works better), and just ride your regular bike to and/from work. Just one day. This will force you to really analyze the routes and other logistics, and will give you the general idea of what it's like to bike to work from your current neighborhood. Then see if you enjoy it enough to do again. If the answer is yes, but you need to get there faster, then consider buying an E-bike.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:37:35 AM by Boofinator »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #938 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
Biking to work is not appropriate for everyone in every situation, but I'll play devil's advocate.

-Definitely need secure storage, in my opinion. Even locking up to a fence or pole would be enough to deter potential thieves.
I don't think our site security would be happy with the 'image' that leaves for guests to the site, unfortunately.  So I would need to find somewhere secure that is also not visible to any of the main entrances.
-Riding in the dark is not as fun, but a good set of lights can be bought for less than $100 (a minor outlay when considering overall cost). The new lithium/USB lights are great and eliminate regular battery purchases.
-Are you sure your commute would be double-time on an E-bike? You'll be traveling 20+ mph, and only needing to stop the same number of times or less than cars do.
I don't think I'd be allowed to/should go that fast on the multi-use trails, as it would be dangerous to pedestrians or slower cyclists.  On the roads it's mostly stoplights.  The time increase also accounts for taking a safer, longer route than I take in the car.
-Being able to avoid major roads is a huge stipulation for me. I thought there was no way it could be done for my commute, until I did some research and found dedicated bike trails that avoid 90% of the roads (and all major roads) and wide bike lanes for the rest. So I agree, having to ride major roads without bike lanes would be a deal-breaker for me, but hopefully your city has a few amenities you aren't yet aware of.
The route I'm looking at already includes a large proportion of multi-use trails, but the final section to get to the more industrial area has fewer options.  I'm still looking, but not optimistic.
-Hills are mostly irrelevant on an E-bike. I think the best way to piss off a lycra-clad biker is to zoom past them on an E-bike up a hill (speaking tongue-in-cheek as one of those lycra riders).

Here's my recommendation. Pick one day (preferably soon before it gets too dark in the morning, but it could wait til late spring if that works better), and just ride your regular bike to and/from work. Just one day. This will force you to really analyze the routes and other logistics, and will give you the general idea of what it's like to bike to work from your current neighborhood. Then see if you enjoy it enough to do again. If the answer is yes, but you need to get there faster, then consider buying an E-bike.

Unfortunately, I'm not in good enough shape to make it 20 miles on my old, heavy bike (possibly even on a lighter, but unassisted bike).  The hilly 10 mile ride is waaaay outside my functional range right now.  The hills may be irrelevant on an e-bike, but they sure matter on my old huffy!  I've had problems before with passing out when I overdo it working out.  I don't fancy the idea of passing out on the side of the road during morning traffic!  Even without that, I need to arrive at work relatively unsweaty, as there is no shower facility or anything.  That's part of why I was looking at the e-bike, as I could take it at whatever difficulty I can handle and use the assist for the rest.  Eventually, I would hope to need less assist, but right now that's not the case.

I also, quite frankly, don't expect to enjoy riding, especially unassisted.  I bike for transportation, not for fun.  I know that's uncommon for people in this thread, and I've been reamed out for it before, but that's the truth.  I want to bike because it's the right thing to do, to improve my health and help the environment, not for recreation.  We'll never get to the point of cycling being considered a 'normal' mode of transportation if we insist that everyone must be having fun doing it.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: August 28, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
To be fair, "enjoy" wasn't meant to imply "fun". I also bike for transportation, and don't consider road biking* in and of itself "fun" (though it certainly beats commuting in traffic). I agree twenty miles is tough.

As for projecting an image for your business: I've always been under the impression that nice bikes project a positive image for many businesses. That's why many recreational places (coffee shops, brew pubs, etc.) have old bikes on the walls and such.

Having a shower for work is key for me during the summer. I agree that not having one might be a deal breaker, though a lot of folks around here do without by using the sink.

One thing I don't want to do is encourage you to get an E-bike if you won't end up using it. But as an anecdote in that direction, one of my coworkers, who is a fairly heavy guy, recently bought a full-suspension commuter E-bike and has been riding about ten miles into work and loves it. It's a nice-looking fat tire bike, goes well over twenty mph, and was relatively inexpensive at about $2k.

*Mountain biking, on the other hand....

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #940 on: August 28, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
Don't forget to subtract any difficulty climbing the hills when you think about if you enjoyed it enough to do it again. The e-bike will help most with hill climbing and accelerating from stops.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »

Some considerations:

Convince me?

Well, you definitely need to figure out a safe way to lock it up.  You could look into whether there is a place to bring it inside work, but if that's not a possibility you should scope out other places to lock it - bike racks are definitely not the only option.  I have a reasonably hefty lock, and I also have a heavy-duty noose-style chain that I bring when there's no good bike rack.  With the chain, I can lock it up nearly anywhere.  You could also pop off the battery and bring it in with you to work, leaving a far less attractive target.

I don't mind riding in the dark (over 50% of my commutes are in the dark), because I have multiple bright lights.  1050 lumen headlight built in to the bike, multiple blinkies, and reflective strips all over.  The most dangerous things for me are cars that forgot to turn their headlights on, so I double-check for those whenever I'm out.

You'll get plenty of extra exercise unless you're a throttle junkie like some e-bike riders.  It's a benefit whether or not you consider it to be.  I suppose you'd have to figure out how much extra time it would cost you, but certainly as the above poster said you'll be going pretty fast on an e-bike, and depending upon your route you might be able to skip certain things that slow cars down more. 

Bike routes are a work in progress, at least for me.  I start with google maps bike routing, using the 'street view' to really get a sense of what it would be like on that road (you can check for bike lanes this way), but actually being out there will give you even better perspective. 

Hills are much easier on an e-bike, unless they're super steep.  Mid-drives are supposedly better once the hills get really steep, but I've never ridden one. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #942 on: August 28, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
If you don't expect to enjoy riding an e-bike, then I'd guess you haven't ridden one before!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #943 on: August 28, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
I don't think our site security would be happy with the 'image' that leaves for guests to the site, unfortunately.  So I would need to find somewhere secure that is also not visible to any of the main entrances.

If your work has a site security team, bring it up to them the fact that there are not safe ways to lock bikes there.  Easy to steal bikes would be a be security risk to the site, right?  And if you have say into the matter, suggest indoor bike racks if they are going to implement anything.

TrMama

« Reply #944 on: August 28, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Do any ebike dealers offer rentals in your area? If so, try renting one for a week to see if it makes the commute manageable.

Another option it to try riding your regular bike one way to the office on a weekend. Have someone pick you up and drive you and the bike home. That'll give a more realistic feel for how the ride will go on a work day, since you'll never ride the complete return route back to back.

Another option is to replace your old Huffy with a nicer, lighter pedal bike. I have a couple different bikes in my fleet and agree that an old Huffy would be my least preferred option and I'd probably never ride it. My current ride is an older model Kona Dew hybrid. Al frame makes it lighter and I replace the drive train and cables as needed so it runs like a new bike. I (over)paid $300 for it used and then put another $300 in parts into it. Way, way less than the cost of an ebike, but still a big upgrade from a department store bike.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
We're also considering an e-bike for my wife, so I'm interested in everyone's experiences as well.

We only have a ~4.5 mile commute to work but she has knee issues from an old sports injury that gets aggravated by biking. She can usually do a few miles at a time but any longer than that can be dicey. What's bad about it is that it doesn't hurt in the moment, but if she pushes it too far on a bike ride it can put her in unbearable pain for the next day or two afterwards. Anyway, we have a cool bike sharing service in town with e-bikes so we're gonna take them for a test ride some time, and if the e-assist helps her knee we might pull the trigger on buying one, so any experiences or recommendations would be super!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
We're also considering an e-bike for my wife, so I'm interested in everyone's experiences as well.

We only have a ~4.5 mile commute to work but she has knee issues from an old sports injury that gets aggravated by biking. She can usually do a few miles at a time but any longer than that can be dicey. What's bad about it is that it doesn't hurt in the moment, but if she pushes it too far on a bike ride it can put her in unbearable pain for the next day or two afterwards. Anyway, we have a cool bike sharing service in town with e-bikes so we're gonna take them for a test ride some time, and if the e-assist helps her knee we might pull the trigger on buying one, so any experiences or recommendations would be super!

So many options these days.  A good place to poke around is:

https://electricbikereview.com/

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #947 on: September 01, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
I bike primarily for transportation and occasionally for fun with friends. For fun on my own I'd rather be puttering in the yard or hiking with the dog.

I LOVE MY EBIKE.

I ride WAY more than I did before I had it. I even ride my regular bike more.

I spent years debating an ebike versus a scooter. I can ride my bike in the winter, which I wouldn't do on a scooter. Yeah there are days I don't feel like biking when I first leave, but being able to get where I'm going without having to take days off for asthma issues or knee pain has been a total game changer. I also totally underestimated how much easier it is to ride for transportation when I can bump up the assist to get up to speed faster at stoplights and stop signs.

cari8285

• Stubble
« Reply #948 on: September 03, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »

It's been almost a full week of riding to work. No issues with the sit bones anymore and the ride is so easy that I can't believe I just started doing it. I was actually disappointed this morning when I woke up to thunderstorms and thought I might have to take the bus - but it cleared up enough for me to ride my bike! Best part about it is that I haven't had to fill up my gas tank. If I had still been driving everyday, I would've definitely needed to fill it up at this point. At this rate, I won't have to refill it for another 2 weeks!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #949 on: September 04, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
I miss this thread! I went and had a baby so no biking to work for me for a while, and no biking at all in the short term. My poor ebike is left abandoned in the garden.

I agree with @katscratch: I LOVE my ebike. I am so-so about regular biking by that extra assist is just plain fun. My ride to work is around ten miles each way and is a nice commute with the assist. It would be impossible without. Not so much the physical aspect, though that is significant, but I would never be able to fit in the time of commuting on a regular bike.

I agree with the idea of renting one for a week to test drive the idea. I got an ebike because my work had a program of lending me an bike for six months to commute with. So I got the bug and couldn’t stop when I had to turn it back in.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!