Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 314845 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
I rode during the nasty wild fires here in the Bay Area last year. We happened to have some leftover N95 masks that the construction crew had left behind from some remodeling. They worked well though they aren’t the most comfortable thing in the world.

I got a less ugly/more comfortable cloth one from amazon with replaceable inner filters for my work trips to China. It is more comfy but much less effective. Since your health is at stake and you will be doing exercise I vote for the commercial/construction certified N95 masks, not whatever other nonsense you can get online.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Question for anyone who's tried to bike, or exercise, in smoky air. Any recommendations on masks?

I live in the PNW and smoke season is starting up already. It's mild right now, but if the past 3 years are any indication it will soon be much worse. In past years, I just didn't bike when it was very smoky, but I'd like to try biking through it this year. Effective masks seem to come in 2 styles, a "sport" version and a "work" version. Do the "sport" styles actually filter well enough? Or would it be the equivalent of wearing one of those useless paper masks?

https://www.amazon.ca/Meanhoo-Cycling-Anti-dust-Filter-Neoprene/dp/B01C9OMFZW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RUJAJGCPEA9Y&keywords=smoke+masks+for+fire&qid=1559322681&s=gateway&sprefix=smoke+mask%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.ca/Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6200-medium/dp/B007JZ1N00/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=2RUJAJGCPEA9Y&keywords=smoke+masks+for+fire&qid=1559322809&s=gateway&sprefix=smoke+mask%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-18-spons&psc=1
It looks like the first one is a real N95, at a quick glance at least. The second one is the kind of face mask I wore at work for personal safety and it works great, but you need to buy the cartridges and the correct cartridges. They usually come in categories like organics, particulates, etc. You could also go to a local Grainger and ask some questions to help you select the right one if you have one near by.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #852 on: June 01, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »
The most important thing is that a mask fit well (no leaks) and that it be rated to at least N95 (I believe N99 isn't recommended for sport though because it's too difficult to inhale through at high respiration rates).  The main difference I have seen between sport and work is that a sport mask can come with a valve that allows you to exhale without resistance making it easier to breathe.

We had masks for ourselves we bought last year and just bought masks for our kids, the smoke blew in so suddenly last Thursday we recognized that we could easily get caught out in some seriously terrible air.

From Alberta, currently on fire to the tune of several hundred thousand hectares burning... more to come if we don't get some rain soon. Rain would also help clean the air out too.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #853 on: June 04, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
I’ve never felt uncomfortable there while riding, which is why it was such a surprise to see chafing. It has only happened once or twice, which is why I’m thinking it might be related to jumping randomly on the bike for a short ride wearing whatever instead of leggings/bike shorts.

If it's not really bothering you, it may not be worth addressing. I get stuff like this from time to time and simply live with it as long as it's not getting worse or causing a lot of discomfort. I also find things like this happen more frequently as the weather gets warmer and I sweat more during each ride.

I think you're also pregnant? Maybe you've gained some weight and it's causing parts to rub that didn't before?
Ah yes, pregnancy.

In the light of embarrassing over sharing, I got new data this last weekend to inform my opinion of what is going on. Turns out my issue stems from running, not from biking. It would appear that weight gain from pregnancy is happening everywhere, not just the location I want (belly), and is leading to chaffing. So I need to change my running shorts selection to prevent this in the future.

Damn. I realize the weight gain is for a good cause, but it is still a little disheartening to think of the work of getting it all off again down the line.

The 585

« Reply #854 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
Anybody know if it's true that biking can lead to male infertility? We've been trying to get pregnant for many months now without success, and I bike a lot. And even started bike commuting daily. I'd consider us a very healthy couple, so we're surprised it's been taking this long!

Hopefully it's just a myth!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: June 19, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »
Have you done a semen analysis? I’d recommend starting there and talking with your doctor if anything amiss pops up.

I can’t speak to the biking thing though we are accidentally pregnant right now and my husband has been riding his bike to work every day for close to 2 years....

A friend whose husband did have a somewhat lower speed count saw improvements by having him add walnuts to his diet, oddly enough.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #856 on: June 19, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »
Anybody know if it's true that biking can lead to male infertility? We've been trying to get pregnant for many months now without success, and I bike a lot. And even started bike commuting daily. I'd consider us a very healthy couple, so we're surprised it's been taking this long!

Cycling should not lead to infertility.  As always though, don't be stupid.  If your 'nads are going numb or you're getting penis pain, fix your saddle or position.  I was regularly cycling between 2 and 300 km a week when we decided to try for a child.  It took one try.  :P

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #857 on: June 19, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
@ysette9 as someone who gets running-chafing, the best solution I have found is Bodyglide, which was recommended by a lot of cyclists. As a mustachian, I must say just buy the regular version, not the "ladies" version which is functionally identical but costs the same for 1/3 less in a pink casing. [yay pink tax]. For healing the chaffing, sudocream in the grey tub is amazing and will also come in handy for dealing with nappyrash in the future.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:05 PM »
@ysette9 as someone who gets running-chafing, the best solution I have found is Bodyglide, which was recommended by a lot of cyclists. As a mustachian, I must say just buy the regular version, not the "ladies" version which is functionally identical but costs the same for 1/3 less in a pink casing. [yay pink tax]. For healing the chaffing, sudocream in the grey tub is amazing and will also come in handy for dealing with nappyrash in the future.
Thanks for the recommendation. For now I’ve switched running shorts to one that has fabric on the areas in question. My sincere hope is that this problem will go away once I am no longer pregnant.
If not, I’ll be looking up this body glide product (and probably crying about the fact that I need it!).

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: June 29, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »
Does anyone bike in sandals? I work in a super casual office and normally wear shorts and flip flops in the summer, but flip flops aren't great for biking in so I've been wearing socks & sneakers for my commute. My ride isn't too long, only about 4 miles, and thus far I've avoided the need to bring in a full change of clothes. The past few days have been really hot while biking in and it's taken me longer to cool down after my ride and even with bringing new shirt to change into I'm sweaty and hot for the first part of my day.

I've thought about bringing my flip flops and then changing into them but don't want to have stanky, sweaty shoes & socks sitting in my bag all day, so I'm wondering if a pair of (non-flip flop) sandals would help my feet stay cool on the ride in, something like these Keens but ideally less expensive:

I don't clip in to my pedals so most of the results when I googled "biking sandals" weren't very helpful. Any experience or recommendations from you guys would be great!

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #860 on: June 29, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »
My first thought was, well,why not clip in? Get some pedals that have a platform on one side and spd on the other. The guy who runs the CyclingAbout web site wears clip in sandals as his only shoes for long distance bicycle touring, I think.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #861 on: June 29, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
As usual, Sheldon Brown has the answers you're looking for.  :P

http://sheldonbrown.com/blog/tag/sandals/

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #862 on: June 29, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
I bike in Tevas all the time & find it much more comfortable when it's warm out. If it's a warm day and it rains, I'd rather be in sandals. And I hate sweaty feet.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: June 29, 2019, 10:23:20 PM »
Not sandals, but I wear flats every day and bike in them as well. That leaves the top of my feet uncovered (don’t forget sunblock there!) and the mesh of the shoe fabric allows for some breathing.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: June 29, 2019, 10:53:56 PM »

Never heard of a study that indicates biking to be a problem. Your SO and yourself need to get the testing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #865 on: June 30, 2019, 03:04:07 AM »

Sheldon Brown, the man who likes fixies because freewheeling makes your legs lazy?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #866 on: June 30, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »

Sheldon Brown, the man who likes fixies because freewheeling makes your legs lazy?

Didn't say all the answers were right.  :P

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #867 on: June 30, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
My Keens are actually my favorite footwear for biking!  So you have my stamp of approval.

TrMama

« Reply #868 on: July 02, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
Go for it! I bike in sandals when it's really hot. Never been a problem.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #869 on: July 02, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
I am strongly in favour of sandals for cycling and actual shoes for the office rather than the other way round. I cycle in Sydney so a lot of the time I wear birkenstocks or my duckfeet sandals for riding. It has never been a problem.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: July 03, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
My dear husband added a basket on the back of my bike so I don’t have to wear a backpack. Excellent. However there isn’t quite enough room and he had to love my saddle forward. I’m sitting more upright now, which is good for my growing belly, but I’m putting more weight on my hands. My palms are fingers are going numb when I ride. What am I doing wrong.

I think I need to go find some sort of alternate fitting to allow the basket to be further back. The metal rod thingies that came with it are too short.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #871 on: July 03, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
My dear husband added a basket on the back of my bike so I don’t have to wear a backpack. Excellent. However there isn’t quite enough room and he had to love my saddle forward. I’m sitting more upright now, which is good for my growing belly, but I’m putting more weight on my hands. My palms are fingers are going numb when I ride. What am I doing wrong.

I think I need to go find some sort of alternate fitting to allow the basket to be further back. The metal rod thingies that came with it are too short.

Saddle position on a bicycle should not be modified to accommodate accouterments.

There are a variety of ways to jerry rig a solution to your problem, but honestly I'd just take the basket back and get a rack that fits your bike properly.  Once you have that you can attach just about anything to the rack (including baskets).

TrMama

« Reply #872 on: July 03, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »

Saddle position on a bicycle should not be modified to accommodate accouterments.

There are a variety of ways to jerry rig a solution to your problem, but honestly I'd just take the basket back and get a rack that fits your bike properly.  Once you have that you can attach just about anything to the rack (including baskets).

Yes. This.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #873 on: July 07, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »
Yesterday, rode in Chicago weather, 16F, equal to about -9C, which would be a new low for me. 

It was clear, but just cold. 

Today was only my 3rd day biking in 2019, mainly due to snow rather than cold.  Also had a few airports trips around work I had to make. 

There are 251 working days for me in 2019, not counting vacation days.  My goal is 200/251 days biked for 2019.  I will remove 1 day from both numerator and denominator for each vacation day I take. 

So far I'm only 3/8 after two weeks.

I love the idea of keeping track of the fractional days choosing a Mustachian travel option. I'll see if I can keep track this year as well. So far I'm 4/5 using the bike and public transportation. 80% seems like a reasonable goal, in that there are typically some days I more-or-less have to drive.

I had a better month in June, but it was still only 16/20 bike to work days.  I had been meaning to record here, to keep myself accountable, but rather than hijack the thread, I started a journal to track myself.  I put the link in my sig.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #874 on: July 07, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
You're welcome to join us in this thread! It's all about tracking frequency of Mustachian transportation - @Boofinator started it after the exchange you just quoted. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/mustachian-transportation-2019/msg2405653/

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #875 on: July 07, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »
You're welcome to join us in this thread! It's all about tracking frequency of Mustachian transportation - @Boofinator started it after the exchange you just quoted. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/mustachian-transportation-2019/msg2405653/

Hmm...not sure how I missed that.  Jumping in!

TrMama

« Reply #876 on: July 08, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
Yesterday, rode in Chicago weather, 16F, equal to about -9C, which would be a new low for me. 

It was clear, but just cold. 

Today was only my 3rd day biking in 2019, mainly due to snow rather than cold.  Also had a few airports trips around work I had to make. 

There are 251 working days for me in 2019, not counting vacation days.  My goal is 200/251 days biked for 2019.  I will remove 1 day from both numerator and denominator for each vacation day I take. 

So far I'm only 3/8 after two weeks.

I love the idea of keeping track of the fractional days choosing a Mustachian travel option. I'll see if I can keep track this year as well. So far I'm 4/5 using the bike and public transportation. 80% seems like a reasonable goal, in that there are typically some days I more-or-less have to drive.

I had a better month in June, but it was still only 16/20 bike to work days.  I had been meaning to record here, to keep myself accountable, but rather than hijack the thread, I started a journal to track myself.  I put the link in my sig.

I have a whole spreadsheet dedicated to figuring out how to ride more and drive less. Inspired by the spreadsheet a former user set up as a monthly biking thread here. He doesn't run it anymore, so I just started tracking on my own.

Anyway, the spreadsheet's worked well for me. I basically only drive now when I have to bring the kids somewhere. They're too big to haul around in a trailer, but not quite mature enough that I trust them on the roads all the time.

Traffic's also awful here. That's actually my biggest motivator. Biking is faster and less aggravating.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #877 on: July 08, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
What kinds of handlebar setups do people like for commuting? My route is pretty flat, mostly on bike paths with some riding on residential streets, none of it is through too crazy of urban traffic. My current bike (https://www.straycatbicycles.com/Bicycles.html) has flat handlebars and while they're not uncomfortable (i.e. no pain/numbness etc) I find myself wanting more hand positions for even short rides of a few miles. I know someone with the same bike who swapped the flats out for bullhorns who seems to like that well enough, but I was thinking of starting with some bar ends as a cheaper alternative. Any recommendations? Thanks!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #878 on: July 08, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
Drop bars are ideal but are a pain in the ass to convert a flat bar bike to because you typically need different brake levers and shifters.

If you already have flat bars and the associated shifters/brakes, bar ends work well to give an alternate position (a combination of cutting the flat bars narrower and bar ends gives you exactly the same position you would get with bullhorns.  You could also go crazy and look into butterfly/trekking bars.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #879 on: July 08, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
yeah it's a single speed so shifters wouldn't be a problem, and I had considered bullhorns because from some googling it sounds like I could get away with using the same brake levers as well. Seems like bar ends might make the most sense though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #880 on: July 08, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »
If you're going that route, Ergon makes integrated grip/bar ends that are the most comfortable I've ever tried.  They're kinda pricey, but if you can find some on sale they're what I'd recommend.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: July 26, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
Just had occasion to re-read my first post on this thread, when I hoped to bike to work 1x per week. It's been almost 2 years since I purchased my bike, and I'm thrilled to say that I've moved closer to work and am now shooting for biking 90% of the time.

I am also buying my first pair of real bike shorts. The heat wave has made it clear that chafing is a real threat. I don't need butt padding, but I do need them to be long, as I am quite tall and the yoga shorts I have ride up. Any recs?

(Side note: rolling my eyes at the number of Amazon listings that boast "tummy control" or "sexy." I'm just trying to commute!)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #882 on: July 26, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
You will likely not find many good bike shorts without padding.  The padding lets you avoid wearing underwear beneath the shorts.  Quality bike shorts also typically have some sort of silicone gripper on the inside of the cuffs to prevent them from riding up.  I'd consider both pretty essential to avoiding chafing.

Most things called 'bike shorts' sold in clothing stores and marketed to women are weird 'fashion' statements, not bike shorts.  They are often not made of a durable sweat wicking fabric and (as mentioned) require that you wear underwear beneath them (which will cause the very chafing you're hoping to avoid).  Look for stuff on sale from actual bike shops, measure yourself and use the sizing charts from online bike shops.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #883 on: July 26, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
It has been a while since I’ve checked in here. I got my lovely father to piece together how to extend the metal arm thingies that attach my basket to the bike so that the basket can sit further back away from my saddle. Plenty of room for my bum now and it is so wonderful! Way more comfortable.

I am 31 weeks now and still biking, though I’m using the highest setting of assist on my ebike and at a level low enough that I mostly never break a sweat. My plan has always been to keep going until I don’t feel comfortable doing it anymore, and so far I still feel good. Well, we good as anyone 31 weeks pregnant can be, which is often not great, but not related to biking.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #884 on: July 26, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
Does anyone bike in sandals? I work in a super casual office and normally wear shorts and flip flops in the summer, but flip flops aren't great for biking in so I've been wearing socks & sneakers for my commute. My ride isn't too long, only about 4 miles, and thus far I've avoided the need to bring in a full change of clothes. The past few days have been really hot while biking in and it's taken me longer to cool down after my ride and even with bringing new shirt to change into I'm sweaty and hot for the first part of my day.

I've thought about bringing my flip flops and then changing into them but don't want to have stanky, sweaty shoes & socks sitting in my bag all day, so I'm wondering if a pair of (non-flip flop) sandals would help my feet stay cool on the ride in, something like these Keens but ideally less expensive:

I don't clip in to my pedals so most of the results when I googled "biking sandals" weren't very helpful. Any experience or recommendations from you guys would be great!

Since I bike mostly in the south, I wear Keens sandals on flat pedals 90 percent of the time.  I do have SPD shoes and clipless pedals on my road bike.  It's flat on the other side.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: July 26, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
I had to put some gas in the car today.  Just six gallons; my last $20 'fill-up' lasted me 3.5 months, so that's where the bar is set. 

Disclaimer - I drive the family car plenty when we're taking the whole family somewhere.  My car is used to occasionally cart the kids around, or go to my dentist's office, which lies outside the area I've found to be bikeable. 

TrMama

« Reply #886 on: July 28, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »
Just had occasion to re-read my first post on this thread, when I hoped to bike to work 1x per week. It's been almost 2 years since I purchased my bike, and I'm thrilled to say that I've moved closer to work and am now shooting for biking 90% of the time.

I am also buying my first pair of real bike shorts. The heat wave has made it clear that chafing is a real threat. I don't need butt padding, but I do need them to be long, as I am quite tall and the yoga shorts I have ride up. Any recs?

(Side note: rolling my eyes at the number of Amazon listings that boast "tummy control" or "sexy." I'm just trying to commute!)

If you don't need the butt padding and the weather is very hot, I'd try to find a pair of unpadded shorts. I have issues with yeast when I wear padded bike shorts in hot weather, but of course YMMV. My latest trick for getting "longer" shorts is to simply cut off a pair of leggings or capris and hem them. It's frankly less work than trying to find a pair of shorts that has more than a 4" inseam.

In biking news, I seem to have reached a new level of insanity. After years of intermittent hip/lower back pain on my right side I finally figured out I've been pedalling using mostly my right leg. Turns out if you pedal with both legs, you end up equally sore on both sides, which is an improvement. However, in order to fix the imbalance I'm now biking to the gym so I can do imbalance fixing exercises so I can bike more. Feels kind of like a snake eating it's tail . . .

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #887 on: July 28, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »
Just splurged on what looks to be a quality cycling backpack!

My current one (that I've had for 10+ years) still works but isn't water resistant and not optimal for biking so I've FINALLY decided to replace it.
I got tired of having to put everything in grocery bags and getting the pack fabric soaked when it rains.

I got the $180 Osprey Radial 34 on sale for $79
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/radial-34-RADIAL34.html

The features and "tech" look promising.

This was part 2 of setting myself up to bike in the rain. Part 1 was a rain fly for my rack bag (I hate getting my bags wet).

I still would like to figure out the shoes... I don't mind getting my clothes or myself wet but am not a fan of soaking wet shoes (or bags).

Maybe a pair of sandals like the ones shown above, except cheaper and non SPD.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #888 on: July 28, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
I've been using an Osprey Escapist 32 for a couple years now, and it has been a truly excellent backpack for cycling.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: July 28, 2019, 08:52:59 PM »
I went with these bike shorts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YRSBGYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look a bit cheaply made, but that's fine since I'm not exactly sure what I want yet. As long as they don't ride up I'll be pleased.

Thanks for the warning, @TrMama. I've been blessed never to have had problems with yeast in the past - knock on wood - but I will keep an eye on it.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: July 29, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
I am 31 weeks now and still biking, though I’m using the highest setting of assist on my ebike and at a level low enough that I mostly never break a sweat. My plan has always been to keep going until I don’t feel comfortable doing it anymore, and so far I still feel good. Well, we good as anyone 31 weeks pregnant can be, which is often not great, but not related to biking.
When I was a kid, we biked to the park for swimming lessons daily much of the summer - even the year my youngest sister was born in early August. Mom pulled a bike trailer filled with two toddlers, a gallon or two of water, and a picnic lunch for five each day until within a week or so of my sister's birth (it was flat terrain and we didn't travel any faster than I could ride at age 6).

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #891 on: July 30, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
*high five*

Getting away from cotton makes a big difference. Target sells some Champion C9 undies that are 93% Nylon, 7% Spandex. Perfect if you don't need the butt padding.

This was part 2 of setting myself up to bike in the rain. Part 1 was a rain fly for my rack bag (I hate getting my bags wet).

I still would like to figure out the shoes... I don't mind getting my clothes or myself wet but am not a fan of soaking wet shoes (or bags).

Maybe a pair of sandals like the ones shown above, except cheaper and non SPD.
Mudguards / fenders + Cycling Overshoes

High vis overshoes are a great safety item. Color in motion is very eye catching. Mine are black, but they keep my feet and shoes pretty dry during the rainy season. Enough so that I can ride everyday without doing anything too out of the ordinary to dry them. Fenders reduce the amount of road water that's splashed up on you.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #892 on: July 30, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
Do you have a link of what these cycling overshoes look like or on Amazon?

TrMama

« Reply #893 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:15 AM »
Do you have a link of what these cycling overshoes look like or on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=cycling+booties&crid=8PN4S4AEAU4&sprefix=cycling+boo%2Caps%2C196&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_11

I have a black neoprene pair. They keep my feet nice and warm, but not always completely dry when it's pouring rain.

Note that most of them are designed to go over bike shoes which tend to be closer fitting than regular shoes. If you want to put them on over normal shoes, buy a larger size.

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #894 on: August 01, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
Only got back into biking on Saturday, but I'm already encountering an issue.

It is an uncomfortable and tingling sensation in my left foot :(

I've read that due to exercise on a bike, the bloody flowing to your feet can make them expand. My footwear is comfy and spacious though. I actually have a hard time buying footwear due to my feet. I literally tried on 60 pairs of shoes before I purchased my current ones. And I bought two pairs because I was so delighted I found ones that actually fit my feet. They were on sale as well, which helped! :)

I actually did have this sensation a year and a half ago. It must have been from using the bike machine in the gym. I saw a podiatrist, and x-rays were done. I was provided with specifically designed insoles. But nothing else could be done. There seemed to be no concerns with my shoes either. But these insoles are not helping my left foot when cycling.

For the summer, as an alternative, I can use my sandals, which should give my feet more room to breathe. I will see if this helps. However, I was looking to do this year round, so sandals will not be appropriate for the winter months!

Anyone else experience these foot issues? It's an annoying, tingling sensation. Not particularly painful, but irritating nonetheless.

Any recommendations on how to handle this issue?

Thanks!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #895 on: August 01, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
Sometimes I encounter that if I am exercising on something like an elliptical and I am not picking up my feet frequently enough. I presume it is from having pressure on my feet in the same position for too long. Could it be something like that or do you think it is the shoes?

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #896 on: August 01, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »
Sometimes I encounter that if I am exercising on something like an elliptical and I am not picking up my feet frequently enough. I presume it is from having pressure on my feet in the same position for too long. Could it be something like that or do you think it is the shoes?

Hard to say. I'll try sandals and see if that has a positive effect.

The rides are not long either. 25 minutes each way to work. To already be having issues is a concern.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #897 on: August 01, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Is your entire foot numb, foot + ankle, just the sole, or the top of the foot?

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #898 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
The sandals discussion on the previous page of this thread has a link to a Sheldon Brown blog article on sandals. Some people wear them year round. There’s a photo of Sheldon in sandals on a New Year’s Day ride in Boston.

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #899 on: August 01, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Is your entire foot numb, foot + ankle, just the sole, or the top of the foot?

Just the toes. And the three smaller ones. Rest of the foot is fine. Very strange, but annoying sensation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!