Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 314869 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #400 on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
An hour?! I don't think that's correct. If they are properly fitted (providing a good seal) a mask certified N95 will certainly filter particles for the day. I've read studies in the past that showed anywhere from 2% to 50% decrease in efficacy after one WEEK (if I'm remembering right they were measuring daily wear in Beijing).

I believe most industries that require N95 wear also require changing them daily primarily for liability reasons. My hospital requires changing as we do any other mask (when leaving the sterile room) but I've worn them for at least 8 hours in a tuberculosis-positive case, and we are extremely conservative when it comes to possible pathogen exposure.

Changing them multiple times a day would add up $ fast!
I tried to do some searching online about how long they are good for. I only found a bit about using them in areas with infectious disease and it was saying similar: 8 hours or every shift.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
An hour?! I don't think that's correct. If they are properly fitted (providing a good seal) a mask certified N95 will certainly filter particles for the day. I've read studies in the past that showed anywhere from 2% to 50% decrease in efficacy after one WEEK (if I'm remembering right they were measuring daily wear in Beijing).

I believe most industries that require N95 wear also require changing them daily primarily for liability reasons. My hospital requires changing as we do any other mask (when leaving the sterile room) but I've worn them for at least 8 hours in a tuberculosis-positive case, and we are extremely conservative when it comes to possible pathogen exposure.

I tried to do some searching online about how long they are good for. I only found a bit about using them in areas with infectious disease and it was saying similar: 8 hours or every shift.
Thanks for the info. I corrected my earlier post and added the 8 hour estimate. Good to know they may last longer. I'm not sure if things change while exercising:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/well/move/on-your-bike-watch-out-for-the-air.html
“Our preliminary data shows that many bicyclists are getting a bit over half of their daily air pollution dose in only 6 to 8 percent of their day during their daily commutes,”

But just as important as the level of pollution in an area is the effort exerted by a bicyclist to pedal through it. “We know that just walking we are breathing in two to three times the air as we are when we are sitting,” Dr. Chillrud explained. Cycling and other strenuous activities like jogging and playing basketball boost the volume of air — and therefore the particulates — that we are inhaling. Dr. Jack, for example, breathes in roughly 8 liters of air per minute when he is resting; when he cycles that volume soars to 70 liters. Biking hard, uphill or fast increases one’s pollution intake still further.

TrMama

« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »

Good to know. I should remember to pick some of these up over the winter so I'll have them ready for next summer. Sadly, "smoke season" has become pretty predictable here.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: November 14, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
Good question re: exercise and mask filtration. I'm not panting as much scrubbing a case as I am on my bike :)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: November 14, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
I’m taking it a bit easier on the bike this week and not pushing myself to accelerate it always go too speed. It probably is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but may help a bit. It is also a bit uncomfortable to wear the face mask so I’m not having as much fun as I normally do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »
It sounds like altitude training.  Restricting the oxygen that your body gets during exercise actually forces it to use oxygen more efficiently (provided you're not passing out from hypoxia) . . . so the masks are actually making you stronger cyclists.  :P

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Alternatively, just take a whole bunch of EPO, as it hugely increases your body's efficiency in utilising oxygen.*

*for the love of all that is good in the world, don't take a whole bunch of EPO.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »
Alternatively, just take a whole bunch of EPO, as it hugely increases your body's efficiency in utilising oxygen.*

*for the love of all that is good in the world, don't take a whole bunch of EPO.

I will leave you with two quotes from Tour de Pharmacy:

In the autopsy, they found Juju was on EPO and cocaine, also some Insulin and Anabolic Steroids, Oxabolone, and, then Nandrolone, trace amounts of Norethandorlene and Furazabol.

They even found some Heroin in his system.

There was also Letrozole, Cyclazadone, some Estrogen Receptor Modulators, Raaloxifene and Tamoxifen, probably to ward off breast growth.

A lot of Oxycodone in his blood.

Phentermine, as well, Ortemamine, Bunolol, Lobatealol.

Plus, apparently he had hopped Ethanol and taken a couple of MDAs.

He clearly smoked some Crystal Meth and Crack and there was a Hormone from monkey testicles that he had cooked down into a broth that he drank.

He also had apparently eaten at least one sandwich at Arby's.

People dope! Yeah, they risk their lives. But, you know, this is a sport with literally hundreds of dollars on the line and dozens of fans that well - Stakes are medium!

:P

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: November 15, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
Two cool things happened yesterday:

1. I received emails stating that they were offering a new parking lottery for some reserved spots that would rotate among lucky winners in my division.  If you wanted, you could opt out.  I quickly responded and told them that I have no need for their filthy parking space lottery.  Might as well give it to clown car slaves.

2. Someone self-identifying as "The Bike Fairy" left a bag of free bike stuff on my (and all other) handlebars, thanking me for bike commuting.  Not trying to sell anything, just an anonymous good deed from someone who must've spent several hundred dollars on this endeavor.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: November 15, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »
The bike fairy is a lovely idea! What did you get?

On my commute this morning several cars and a bus were stopped because a tree had fallen over and was blocking half of a narrow road. I hopped up onto the sidewalk and bypassed the whole mess. :)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »
Very, very important to unscrew things from the frame and add a little dab of grease on the threads at least once a year.  :P
I'm not sure that every year is vital, but the grease does help prevent dissimilar metals from forming bonds over time. I learned this when I needed to replace the bottom bracket on my aluminum frame bike about 20 years ago (also learned not to lay a bike down on its side especially for transport). It took an impact wrench to get my old one off and I got the advice about greasing the threads. I've certainly allowed more than a year between bottom bracket removals, but I always make sure there's some grease there when I put it back together.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »
The bike fairy is a lovely idea! What did you get?

On my commute this morning several cars and a bus were stopped because a tree had fallen over and was blocking half of a narrow road. I hopped up onto the sidewalk and bypassed the whole mess. :)

Hmm...got a rear blinking light, some hand warmers, a CO2 valve and some canisters, and some sort of massage/therapy ball. 

Yeah, I've had a few commutes where I've been able to bypass a big snarl of cars due to construction, accidents, or whatever.  I try to keep the smugness off my face, and keep it strictly matter-of-fact outwardly.  Inside, I'm always thrilled.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Hmm...got a rear blinking light, some hand warmers, a CO2 valve and some canisters, and some sort of massage/therapy ball. 

Yeah, I've had a few commutes where I've been able to bypass a big snarl of cars due to construction, accidents, or whatever.  I try to keep the smugness off my face, and keep it strictly matter-of-fact outwardly.  Inside, I'm always thrilled.
One route home for me involves passing over a multi lane highway where it goes below a surface street.. I usually think of the motorists as suckers as it's usually clear that I'm traveling faster than most of them (usually the motorists are traveling faster than me in the morning though).

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
Got hit by a car on my way home today. First time. There was a line of cars trying to pull out of a parking lot, as I neared I couldnt make eye contact with the driver or see if they were looking at me, I started to apply brakes but too late, she pulled out as I was passing and hit me. Wasn't too bad on me. I recognized it was happening and jumped off my bike landing on her hood and bouncing to the pavement. I got up and am fine with a minor scrape on my elbow and my ankle is a little sore (but not enough to bother me, I walked my dog this eve). My bike is wrecked though. I got all the info from the person, they were probably more shaken up than me! Very apologetic etc. Someone I know was a couple cars back and came out to help me and gave me a lift home. Apparently the guy behind the car that hit me was being really obnoxious and honking and revving his engine probably pressuring the car that hit me to pull out without looking properly.

I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow morning before making any insurance claims. Good thing I was biking pretty slowly and was being cautious about the car or it could have been way worse. Maybe I can get some insurance $$$ out of it and a newer bike. I'll buy more lights too.

It's probably going to be a while before I can bike again which sucks a lot. Parking at work is $5-8/day (depending on how early I get there) and the bus stops are really inconvenient. Oh well.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: November 20, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »
Got hit by a car on my way home today. First time. There was a line of cars trying to pull out of a parking lot, as I neared I couldnt make eye contact with the driver or see if they were looking at me, I started to apply brakes but too late, she pulled out as I was passing and hit me. Wasn't too bad on me. I recognized it was happening and jumped off my bike landing on her hood and bouncing to the pavement. I got up and am fine with a minor scrape on my elbow and my ankle is a little sore (but not enough to bother me, I walked my dog this eve). My bike is wrecked though. I got all the info from the person, they were probably more shaken up than me! Very apologetic etc. Someone I know was a couple cars back and came out to help me and gave me a lift home. Apparently the guy behind the car that hit me was being really obnoxious and honking and revving his engine probably pressuring the car that hit me to pull out without looking properly.

I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow morning before making any insurance claims. Good thing I was biking pretty slowly and was being cautious about the car or it could have been way worse. Maybe I can get some insurance $$$ out of it and a newer bike. I'll buy more lights too.

It's probably going to be a while before I can bike again which sucks a lot. Parking at work is $5-8/day (depending on how early I get there) and the bus stops are really inconvenient. Oh well.

This is something that seems to me to be totally reasonable to include in an insurance claim.  This cost is very directly and clearly related to the accident and your resulting inability to continue biking.  Ask your doctor how long until he thinks you will be good as new, and then calculate the number of work days that covers and the associated parking fees. 

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: November 20, 2018, 04:17:32 AM »
@sixwings,   Hope you feel better soon!   Get lots of pictures and document the injuries well... It might also be possible there's video if it was at an intersection that the city can provide if you have a case filed or the driver had a ticket for the accident...  worth checking at least?   No insurance company wants to see a well organized plaintiff...  and bet they'll settle rather than have you parade the video/photo/medical details in court on a "car vs. cyclist" accident.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »
I’m sorry this happened to you and very glad it was as minor as it was.

This reinforces my new route to work that is a mile longer but keeps me mostly out of main roads and intersections in favor of neighborhood streets and trails.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »
@sixwings,   Hope you feel better soon!   Get lots of pictures and document the injuries well... It might also be possible there's video if it was at an intersection that the city can provide if you have a case filed or the driver had a ticket for the accident...  worth checking at least?   No insurance company wants to see a well organized plaintiff...  and bet they'll settle rather than have you parade the video/photo/medical details in court on a "car vs. cyclist" accident.
Definitely file a police report.

Insurance claim should include replacement cost of your bike, any medical costs incurred, and transportation costs (including parking) incurred for trips that you would have biked during the time your were not able to bike. I'd itemize these then add on something for your injuries (much harder to set a value on, so there might be some back and forth between you and the insurance on this item). Do your best to document everything as quickly as possible, but take your time to put together your claim to ensure you have missed any damages.

TrMama

« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
Definitely file a police report.

Insurance claim should include replacement cost of your bike, any medical costs incurred, and transportation costs (including parking) incurred for trips that you would have biked during the time your were not able to bike. I'd itemize these then add on something for your injuries (much harder to set a value on, so there might be some back and forth between you and the insurance on this item). Do your best to document everything as quickly as possible, but take your time to put together your claim to ensure you have missed any damages.

I'm so sorry you were hit. That's awful.

Ditto the advice to file a police report. It'll make the insurance claim go more smoothly and ensures there's a record of a cyclist accident at that location. Perhaps there's something the city can do at that spot to make it safer.

When you're shopping for a new bike, tell the shops it's an insurance replacement and how much you have to spend. I did this years ago when my nicer bike was stolen from our house. I was able to get an even nicer bike (last years model on clearance), plus a bunch of other gear, for the claim amount.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #419 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
Thanks everyone! I filed a police report for the insurance claim and went to the doctor today. Doctors visit went well, went to a walk-in clinic and was in and out in a hour, he poked me in a few places and I got some x-rays done. Nothing broken or torn so that's good. My ankle was bothering me slightly (uncomfortable to run on but fine to walk on), he said it's just a light sprain and it feels much better now.  It looks like I walked away with a broken bike and a few minor scratches so I'm pretty grateful for that.

I'll probably file my insurance claim tomorrow, I live in BC Canada so the insurance company I have to deal with is ICBC and they are horrendously stingy and litigious.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #420 on: November 21, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
Did my semiannual bulk purchase of bike equipment on Monday evening: I needed new tyres and tubes, and while I was at it I opted to add a foldaway multitool (which will go into the emergency kit I carry in a bottle cage) and a full set of bike tools (which will definitely not be going into the emergency kit). I want to get comfortable enough working on my bike that I eventually become fully self-sufficient - that's still some time away, but I'm feeling optimistic. Every time something goes wrong, I try to fix it myself before I bring it to a mechanic, and the toolkit should help widen the range of tasks I can do myself.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
I biked past a major traffic jam this morning and felt very happy as I bypassed several lanes of snarled traffic. It helped that it was sunny and cool today, and the air quality was half-decent. I've been consistently biking 3-4 times per week, and I've noticed that I get less out of breath and do not need to use the electric assist as much. I can now do the 8.5 km ride to DD's school without using the assist (even with 40 lb DD on the bike), and am now working to do the 16 km ride to work from her school without assist, which involves a couple pretty steep bridges. Biking is now my "chill" time and I thoroughly enjoy the time to unwind before and after work, as long as it's not raining.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2018, 10:44:27 PM »
I love feeling obnoxiously superior as I whizz past stopped traffic. Loved your update, @Freedomin5.

I have also noticed myself getting less out of breath each trip, except for the one big hill with no bike lane that I feel pressured to climb as fast as possible so I don't hold up traffic too much. Muscle soreness is a bigger problem as the week progresses than cardio/full body tiredness. I guess we'll see how I do this week after Thanksgiving break, though.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #423 on: November 27, 2018, 04:11:17 AM »
Love seeing the cold weather isn't slowing this crowd down...   Had a bit of a breakthrough ride now just about 2 months in...   My first ride was a whopping 3 miles on a fairly hilly gravel road and I was totally gassed...   This past weekend though... 15.9 miles and felt great!   Admittedly, it was a flat and relatively easy greenway trail, but it was night and day better.   Didn't hurt there was 12lbs less of me on the bike this time as well!

Key investments that helped:  Very lightweight black silk head cover/balaclava that fits under my bike helmet to cover my head and neck.   Best $20 I've spent for cold weather as it fends off the wind, but still breathes well.   Found a nice high visibility yellow bikers jacket for $33 after reading sixwings story...   It's snug to cut down wind resistance with a long tail to cover my bum, but it also emphasizes my need to ride the bike more to lose weight in certain areas (the gut has to go, just sayin').   Also starting to connect in to the cyclists scene in my area...  though that will need a serious upgrade in bike and conditioning to keep up with those guys...   Typical rides are 35-45 miles for that crowd in under 3 hours...   Seems light years away; but at this rate of improvement, who knows?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:14:09 AM by Money Badger »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
You also ride way faster in a group than solo.  When you're riding solo, you're eating wind all the time.  When you're in a paceline you're eating wind only occasionally, and the rest of the time you're sheltered behind someone else.  It's about a third less effort sitting close on someone's tail.  You just have to make sure they don't drop you on the hills if you're heavier.  :P

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #425 on: November 27, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
Any continue to bike to work through blizzard conditions?

I posted the pic earlier about biking through snow, but it was light flurries then.  The blizzard in Chicago yesterday ended my streak of 20 consecutive work days of biking, as I had to take the bus to work.  Ugh, I was so disappointed.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #426 on: November 27, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
I will bike quite happily through falling and blowing snow, but Toronto is pretty quick about snow removal from the roads.  It's rare that I'm going through more than a couple inches on the road.  You do have to modify how you ride . . . don't use the front brake as much as usual, be very careful of your weight on the bike, when turning do so very gingerly, go slower than usual (and leave more time to stop), try to stay in the ruts that cars make in the snow for better traction, etc.  It's kinda like riding a bike through loose sand.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #427 on: November 29, 2018, 05:03:35 AM »
You also ride way faster in a group than solo.  When you're riding solo, you're eating wind all the time.  When you're in a paceline you're eating wind only occasionally, and the rest of the time you're sheltered behind someone else.  It's about a third less effort sitting close on someone's tail.  You just have to make sure they don't drop you on the hills if you're heavier.  :P

Good insight on the group riding / wind resistance aspects...  I committed to dropping 25 lbs, then the reward of a new bike with the gearing and tire setup that will let me keep up with the group in my area.   My buddy with the shop assures me the gearing and tire differences on a decent road setup will give me double or triple the efficiency and mileage along with the group-ride wind resistance benefits.  But for now, the old bike is doing it's job to burn off the weight in fewer miles.   Hmmm... should I maybe add pulling a trailer of rocks to improve my "inefficiency" level so I can go bike shopping sooner?  ;)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: November 29, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
Just wanted to say I decided not to bike today. The pic was taken this morning on our subway ride. The windows were perfectly clean. That foggy film is the AIR outside. That’s what an AQI of 200 looks like. After about 5 minutes outside without an N95 mask, your lungs start to burn, you feel dizzy and slightly nauseous, and you start to have difficulty breathing. I decided I’m not THAT hardcore of a cycler to be willing to ride through that air for an hour.

BTW, I apologize if the pic looks super huge on your screen. I simply attached it from my phone. No idea how to resize it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:18:07 AM by Freedomin5 »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
Just wanted to say I decided not to bike today. The pic was taken this morning on our subway ride. The windows were perfectly clean. That foggy film is the AIR outside. That’s what an AQI of 200 looks like. After about 5 minutes outside without an N95 mask, your lungs start to burn, you feel dizzy and slightly nauseous, and you start to have difficulty breathing. I decided I’m not THAT hardcore of a cycler to be willing to ride through that air for an hour.

BTW, I apologize if the pic looks super huge on your screen. I simply attached it from my phone. No idea how to resize it.

Pic doesn't look huge at all.  And I think deciding not to bike in those conditions is a bit like the difference between frugal and cheap.  There's a time where *not* biking is the right choice just as there is a time where not taking the cheapest option is the right choice. 

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: November 29, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »

Pic doesn't look huge at all.  And I think deciding not to bike in those conditions is a bit like the difference between frugal and cheap.  There's a time where *not* biking is the right choice just as there is a time where not taking the cheapest option is the right choice.

Yeah in the long run you'd pay more for breathing that. Wild picture.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
Gross.

TrMama

« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »

Gross. I don't bike either when the air quality is bad. And our "bad" air quality is simply from summer forest fires, so it's not nearly as toxic as that smog.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
It's important to remember what a place largely devoid of enforced pollution controls looks like every time someone rails against the heavy burden of regulations.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
That air looks dreadful. My air was like that just over a week ago due to the worst wildfires in CA history that were raging. I biked anyway with an N95 mask (need physical activity for mental health) but riding with a mask isn’t lovely. Obviously better than the alternative though. I have so much more sympathy for people who have to live
In that nonsense on a regular basis. Just 1.5 weeks in that air and I was noticeably unhappier and my poor kids stuck indoors were stir crazy.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
It's important to remember what a place largely devoid of enforced pollution controls looks like every time someone rails against the heavy burden of regulations.
Amen.

If it is freedom you want to talk about, there are few things more fundamental than being able to walk out your front door and breath outside. Not being able to do that feels like being in prison for me.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #436 on: December 01, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »
@Freedomin5    Looks like a scene of the future from Blade Runner...    So sorry you have to shorten your life living in that.   Hoping that the people and government finally realize the terrible price and take actions to improve your city's environment!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
My car didn't start last week when I wanted it to pick up the kids in the rain (after cycling home from work).  Jumped it the next day and drove it around to charge...dead again when I checked later, but didn't have time to get to the store to buy/install a new one. 

I sort of shrugged and figured that I don't need a car to get through the week; I'll get around to it next weekend.  Times have definitely changed.

The only tricky part will be walking the kids home in the rain twice this week!  Have to make sure to have a couple of umbrellas and rain boots handy for them.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
So, it's my turn to ask about weather accommodations. Here in Southern California, December means that it is raining for the first time in months, and I have no idea how to bike in it. Do I accept getting soaked and change clothes at work? Do I just throw on a poncho? Do I need to do any particular care for my chain or other bike parts when they get wet? The bike is sheltered from rain but not from humidity on both ends of the commute.

In the new year, I'd like to see how many days I can go without riding in a car. I haven't made it more than a week so far.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
So, it's my turn to ask about weather accommodations. Here in Southern California, December means that it is raining for the first time in months, and I have no idea how to bike in it. Do I accept getting soaked and change clothes at work? Do I just throw on a poncho? Do I need to do any particular care for my chain or other bike parts when they get wet? The bike is sheltered from rain but not from humidity on both ends of the commute.

In the new year, I'd like to see how many days I can go without riding in a car. I haven't made it more than a week so far.
I’m in the Bay Area so figuring out the same stuff. :) I’m still working it out exactly how to do this, but it seems that a rainproof top jacket is crucial. I wear running/yoga pants and then change into jeans when I get to work. So far it is working all right though I haven’t biked in pouring rain the entire ride. I sort of count on the rain letting up once the sun comes up.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
Any really waterproof jacket will end up cooking you, so you're covered in sweat.  Just get wet.  Put your clothes in a plastic bag so they don't get wet, change into the dry stuff after your ride to work.  Having fenders makes riding in the rain (or even just on wet roads) an awful lot less miserable.

Keep your chain oiled or it will rust.  Take apart and grease and lube your bike (Brake pivots, bottom bracket, seat post, pedal hubs, wheel hubs, headset, etc.) every year so that things don't rust into place.  Have a regular schedule to replace your shifter and brake cables/housings (once every year or so).  Check chain wear, as it tends to go bad faster in wet gritty conditions.  Pay attention to your brake pads (they will grind down much faster when you're riding in the wet all the time).  You do all of this (which sounds like much more work than it actually is) and you'll have no mechanical issues with riding in the rain.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
Interesting. So far I have only ridden with “waterproof” top layers which are old enough to be anything but. I figured I need to replace them with something in better shape. Perhaps not?

TrMama

« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
I ride year round in the PNW. GuitarStv is correct that there's an inverse relationship between waterproof and breathable. I used to just get wet. In So Cal it's probably warm and wet, which means being wet isn't much of a risk. Just put a light rain jacket on and change your pants when you get there.

Shoes are more of a PITA. Either get some waterproof shoes (carry dry socks for when you get there), or get some neoprene shoe covers to wear over your shoes to keep dry.

Here it can be cold and wet. My solution lately has been to wear a sortof breathable, but quite waterproof jacket one size too big and that has lots of venting built in (pit zips and a back vent). When it's cold I wear layers underneath and open the vents as required. The fact that it's too big gives me even more ventilation.

One of the biggest issues with rain is that it makes it harder for cars to see you. Whatever you wear, make it bright. Put your lights on and remember that half the cars on the road can barely see you because they have crappy wipers and can't figure out how to defog their windows.

I use a chain cleaner tool and citrus degreaser on my chain once a week when it's wet. The road grit sticks to it like crazy when it's wet and heavy rain actually washes the lube off your chain as you ride. I use a heaver lube designed for wet conditions. However, this lube is stickier, so it makes the grit problem worse. Hence the frequent cleaning schedule. I don't take everything apart the way GuitarStv does. We don't have salt corrosion here so rust hasn't been an issue for me. My chains stretch out long before they rust.

If you have rim brakes, KoolStop pads are the best option for stopping when it's wet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
I second Kool stop.  I'm a big fan of their black and salmon mountain type V-brake pads (they work fine on road bikes with V-brakes or modern cantilevers.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

Fellow SoCal resident, riding in the rain for the first time as well.  It's actually not generally warm and wet here, because it doesn't really rain when it's warm (unless you consider 40s-50s and raining warm; I don't, and I'm from the midwest).  That's not to say that sweating under waterproof clothes isn't potentially an issue.  I'm riding an e-bike, so I have less of a sweating concern.

Today was my first day of commuting through really heavy rain; there were a few days of light rain before, or where the heavy rain missed my commute times.  I did buy booties to go over my dressy work shoes, and they seem to be working ok.  I also bought a very light rain suit that works when it's drizzling or for a bit more warmth/windbreaking, but decidedly not in real rain.  I may buy an actual waterproof jacket after that experience this morning. 

Definitely want to light up; my morning commute is in the dark most of the year anyhow, so I'm used to that.  I'm using a bright headlamp (1100 lumens), rear blinking leds on both the bike and my helmet, and a blinking armband. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:42 PM »

Fellow SoCal resident, riding in the rain for the first time as well.  It's actually not generally warm and wet here, because it doesn't really rain when it's warm (unless you consider 40s-50s and raining warm; I don't, and I'm from the midwest).  That's not to say that sweating under waterproof clothes isn't potentially an issue.  I'm riding an e-bike, so I have less of a sweating concern.

Today was my first day of commuting through really heavy rain; there were a few days of light rain before, or where the heavy rain missed my commute times.  I did buy booties to go over my dressy work shoes, and they seem to be working ok.  I also bought a very light rain suit that works when it's drizzling or for a bit more warmth/windbreaking, but decidedly not in real rain.  I may buy an actual waterproof jacket after that experience this morning. 

Definitely want to light up; my morning commute is in the dark most of the year anyhow, so I'm used to that.  I'm using a bright headlamp (1100 lumens), rear blinking leds on both the bike and my helmet, and a blinking armband.

-8 C this morning (17 F) with a driving wind.  I'd consider 40-50 degrees in the rain pretty warm.  :P

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »

-8 C this morning (17 F) with a driving wind.  I'd consider 40-50 degrees in the rain pretty warm.  :P

My statement was in response to TrMama's supposition that when it rains in SoCal, it's warm.  I'm not going to claim that we have cold winters here, but we don't generally have warm, rainy days.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't raining where you were. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
I'm definitely in the camp of "if it's raining, I'm getting wet." I hate riding in a rain jacket. I have a fancy gore-tex "breathable" just for bike riding jacket, and I still hate wearing it. I still end up pretty much soaked eventually, if I ride for long enough and if it's raining hard enough, plus sweating like crazy in the jacket.  So I pretty much just go out with a soft shell if it's chilly, and my normal riding clothes. If I'm commuting to work, I have dry clothes/shoes in my waterproof backpack/panniers, and I just towel off and change at work. Stuff newspaper in my shoes, and if you've got a little space heater at your desk, they can get pretty dry in a work day! I used to freak out about riding in the rain ( I live in CO, it doesn't rain much here!) but one Spring it rained every day for about 45 days...it was either stay inside, or get used to the rain. It was cold, rainy, and my shoes were literally wet for the entire 2 months, but I learned to enjoy it and basically stopped wearing any waterproof gear because I got sick of feeling like I was riding in a trash bag all the time. (I also train/race bikes, so I was riding a ton.)

Oh, also, Lots of companies are making super cheap, flexible plastic fenders that zip tie/velcro onto forks and seatposts...these are great to catch a lot of the annoying spray that gets glasses/butts wet in super wet conditions. I even had a friend make one out of one of those cheap flexy plastic cutting boards for $2.00!

On the bike maintenance point, clean/dry your chain every night if it's wet outside. Apply chain lube ( I love Dumonde Tech) and then in the morning before riding, wipe it off with a towel. Super easy.

TrMama

« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »

My statement was in response to TrMama's supposition that when it rains in SoCal, it's warm.  I'm not going to claim that we have cold winters here, but we don't generally have warm, rainy days.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't raining where you were.

My bad. 40-50F is 4-10C. The lower end of that certainly qualifies as cold. Just because it gets colder elsewhere, doesn't mean the Californians can't also wear rain gear.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
The coldest, most miserable looking lot I have ever seen were a friends visiting Philipino family members on a 55F sunny day in Norther California in August.  Growing up in Alaska we considered anything in the 30's during Spring to be T-shirt weather.

Cold can be quite relative, and anything below what you regularly deal with can feel unbearable.

Similarly, SoCal folks surely snicker when they see those from the Great White North melt and shutdown on a 110F summer day.

Edit:  My ride this morning was -1C and mild winds.  I was wearing a thin pair of tights and a long sleeve shirt with an old rain coat as a wind breaker.  Once I got going it I was pretty happy with my clothing choices.  Cold weather clothing requirements are pretty minimal for active excercise.  Bar Mitts are the schiznit both in rain and <45 F temps.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:50:36 PM by moof »