Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 317563 times)

Askel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #1500 on: December 11, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »

@Askel, I tried this and it's a game-changer! It feels a lot safer to be out of the traffic on the sidewalk and I don't think it takes much, if any, extra time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cool! Glad it worked.  Recently took the League of American Bicyclists "Smart Cycling" course. Instructor had a great line he used- "The great thing about being a cyclist is that you can become a pedestrian at any time."  Super handy for when things get sketchy (or steep). 

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1501 on: March 21, 2022, 03:54:07 PM »
Seeking mustachian input... Should I upgrade my bike?

I currently ride a 2016 Trek FX 7.0: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/7-0-fx/p/16211/?avad=220733_e2791cbf9.

It's gotten finicky about shifting and probably needs new brake pads, if not additional tune-up on the brakes. It's functional but has become annoying to ride. From various sources of unexpected/gift money, I have about $650 to put toward a bike.

Considerations:
  • I am moving to Colorado this summer and will therefore be learning to bike in Weather, which hasn't been invented in SoCal.
  • If I'm going to get something new, I'd like it to be a meaningful upgrade; springing for disc brakes seems like the best bet. I'm interested in their improved performance in wet conditions.
  • I daydreamed of something lighter than my current 28 pounds, but realistically: I like the hybrid style, they don't get much lighter than 25 pounds, and each pound off costs a lot more. I add several pounds with a commuter bag anyway. Still, our bike storage is on our upstairs balcony, so I do lug the thing up and down stairs.

I have my eye on a couple on craigslist and I'd love some third-party thoughts about my several options.

This thread has been such a help in learning more about biking! Thanks for any thoughts!

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1502 on: March 21, 2022, 04:09:38 PM »

I currently ride a 2016 Trek FX 7.0: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/7-0-fx/p/16211/?avad=220733_e2791cbf9.

It's gotten finicky about shifting and probably needs new brake pads, if not additional tune-up on the brakes. It's functional but has become annoying to ride. From various sources of unexpected/gift money, I have about $650 to put toward a bike.

Considerations:
  • I am moving to Colorado this summer and will therefore be learning to bike in Weather, which hasn't been invented in SoCal.
  • If I'm going to get something new, I'd like it to be a meaningful upgrade; springing for disc brakes seems like the best bet. I'm interested in their improved performance in wet conditions.
  • I daydreamed of something lighter than my current 28 pounds, but realistically: I like the hybrid style, they don't get much lighter than 25 pounds, and each pound off costs a lot more. I add several pounds with a commuter bag anyway. Still, our bike storage is on our upstairs balcony, so I do lug the thing up and down stairs.

I have my eye on a couple on craigslist and I'd love some third-party thoughts about my several options.

This thread has been such a help in learning more about biking! Thanks for any thoughts!
Since 2020, I've been riding a Trek FX-3 Disc that I like a lot. I put front and rear racks and a handle bar bag on it. So, it can carry up to 4 panniers, which I only usually need when I ride 10 miles to Wegman's and want to get a bunch of groceries and beer. Otherwise, I usually only use one or two of the rear panniers.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1503 on: March 21, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »

Considerations:

NO!

All bikes require maintenance with use.  Adjusting indexing on shifters is something that should be done once or twice a year, and brake pads need to be replaced as they wear.  Occasionally you'll need to replace cables and a chain and cassette.  These are not difficult tasks to learn, but if you don't want to do this . . . take your bike down to your local bike shop and get everything fixed.

New brake pads - maybe 10 to 20$ and 10 minutes time
Indexing shifters - maybe 5 minutes time
Replacing cassette - 40 to 60$ and 20-30 minutes of time
Replacing chain - 20 to 40$ and about 5 minutes

If the bike fits you and you like it, then do basic maintenance . . . and you should be able to ride it for a couple decades at least.

Disc brakes definitely brake better in wet conditions, but regular allow rim brakes that are properly adjusted are perfectly safe in rain too.  I've ridden thousands of miles in the wet (including snow, slush, hail, etc.) and never owned a disc brake bike.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1504 on: March 21, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »

So if you're going to ride in weather- snow, ice, salt, grit, whatever else the county does to improve traction, best learn right now how to work on brakes and adjust your shifting. Those conditions are super hard on a bike, but a little preventative care and some adjustment on your part can help keep you going through bad conditions and avoid the "replace all the things" approach shop mechanics sometimes do. 

Honestly, I won't discourage anybody who winter commutes from owning two bikes- it's super handy to have a backup rig when the primary needs some cleaning and maintenance. And disc brakes make a huge difference in bad conditions.

I'd spend some time fiddling with your current bike if you are so inclined. The Park Tool website is amazingly helpful- https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help 

Generally, as long as you are careful not to strip out any fasteners, it's pretty hard to make a bike worse by trying to fix it yourself before enlisting a mechanic.   

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1505 on: March 21, 2022, 08:27:55 PM »

Considerations:

NO!

All bikes require maintenance with use.  Adjusting indexing on shifters is something that should be done once or twice a year, and brake pads need to be replaced as they wear.  Occasionally you'll need to replace cables and a chain and cassette.  These are not difficult tasks to learn, but if you don't want to do this . . . take your bike down to your local bike shop and get everything fixed.

New brake pads - maybe 10 to 20$ and 10 minutes time
Indexing shifters - maybe 5 minutes time
Replacing cassette - 40 to 60$ and 20-30 minutes of time
Replacing chain - 20 to 40$ and about 5 minutes

If the bike fits you and you like it, then do basic maintenance . . . and you should be able to ride it for a couple decades at least.

Disc brakes definitely brake better in wet conditions, but regular allow rim brakes that are properly adjusted are perfectly safe in rain too.  I've ridden thousands of miles in the wet (including snow, slush, hail, etc.) and never owned a disc brake bike.
Steve's right. If you like your current bike and it fits you, you're better off just asking your local bike shop to adjust the brakes, shifters, etc. It won't cost anywhere near $600.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1506 on: March 22, 2022, 07:41:29 AM »
Agreed that you shouldn't be looking for a new bike - you've got a great one already.  Basic maintenance would be wonderful to learn, but as noted you could also pay for a tune-up if you're not feeling like flexing those mustachian muscles just yet.  At least you should be trying out your current bike in your new location before deciding it's not going to work there. 

While Colorado does have more weather than SoCal, it's definitely not particularly wet if you live in the front range where almost everyone does (though obviously there is that white stuff to deal with).  Are you going to bike in snow?  If I remember correctly - I may be confusing you with another poster - you avoided biking in SoCal rain.  If you're not realistically going to do this, why make a purchase based upon it?

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1507 on: March 22, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »
PTF

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1508 on: March 22, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »

Considerations:

We have a LOT of sunshine in Colorado. I currently do not bike in icy conditions. I used to, years ago- I just added a studded tire to my hybrid bike for the winter season and it was fine. (I accidentally left the studded tire behind in a move, my car situation is improved, and I am older, less fit, and currently pregnant and my doctor said biking was fine but definitely no icy conditions :-). ) If you plan to become, like, a hard-core ice biker, then you probably need a second bike with fat tires for that purpose anyway, but a studded front tire is pretty effective.

So that's another vote for upgrading your current bike rather than replacing!

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1509 on: March 22, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
Brake pads are easy to replace, and a great toe to dip in the water and see how you feel about DIY bike maintenance. I advise wearing gloves, somehow you inevitably get grease all over your hands even if you're not working near the chain.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1510 on: March 23, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
I really want to learn bike maintenance in the future, but before I move to Colorado I need to finish my PhD thesis. No new hobbies or interests allowed for the next few months. :)

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1511 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:32 PM »
@Tass , another option you might consider, if you think it might simplify your upcoming move to CO, is to get your current bike's brakes, shifters, and any other glaring problems tuned up at your local bike shop, sell it on FB Marketplace or CL or OfferUp or whatever, before you leave, save the cash, and use it to buy a similar used bike once you get settled at your new place in CO. That way, you'd have one less thing to worry about moving...

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1512 on: March 23, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »
I really want to learn bike maintenance in the future, but before I move to Colorado I need to finish my PhD thesis. No new hobbies or interests allowed for the next few months. :)

Oof, know how that goes. But there's probably at least one 1st or 2nd year serious bike nerd who hasn't learned how to say no yet that'll do a tune up for the cost of parts and a sixxer of good beer. I know I would have then. :D 

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1513 on: March 25, 2022, 10:16:56 AM »

Oh, Tass, I feel you. Same boat. There are some points in life when it's acceptable to throw money at a problem- the home stretch of the PhD qualifies imo. It's temporary. Take it to a shop and they'll tune it up nicely, and you support the local bike shop industry to boot.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1514 on: April 28, 2022, 05:24:04 PM »
This is a highly specific question and maybe a long shot for getting an answer, but I dunno where ELSE I would ask... I am 23 weeks pregnant and having a ton of round ligament pain while biking, especially on the way home when I'm tired. I would really like to be able to ride my bike to work at least a couple of days a week for another 5 weeks or so, then Little League season ends and things ease up. (We have only one car- right now there are days when I would have to take a Lyft home if I wasn't on my bike.) Wearing a Velcro/elastic support belt does not seem to help. Have any gestationally minded Mustachians experienced this and found something that helps?

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: April 28, 2022, 08:33:43 PM »
I believe @ysette9 was pretty committed to biking while pregnant? And maybe you could try the pregnancy/fertility group journal?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1516 on: April 28, 2022, 09:27:22 PM »
Good memory. I indeed bike while pregnant, but I didn’t have found ligament pain, so I can’t offer a thing useful to you. I have an ebike which certainly made biking more feasible while pregnant. I could keep cranking up the assist level as I got bigger.

I hope you find a solution.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1517 on: April 28, 2022, 09:29:54 PM »

Oh, Tass, I feel you. Same boat. There are some points in life when it's acceptable to throw money at a problem- the home stretch of the PhD qualifies imo. It's temporary. Take it to a shop and they'll tune it up nicely, and you support the local bike shop industry to boot.
I have no excuses not to learn my own bike maintenance except I just don’t wanna. I never had a mustachian mêmbership card, so no need for me to turn it in at this blasphemy.

Many people love this kind of thing; I simply don’t. I don’t mind supporting my local bike shop. I’ll use my time to make my own bread or clean my windows or something else.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1518 on: April 29, 2022, 04:01:45 PM »
Good memory. I indeed bike while pregnant, but I didn’t have found ligament pain, so I can’t offer a thing useful to you. I have an ebike which certainly made biking more feasible while pregnant. I could keep cranking up the assist level as I got bigger.

LOL, and you were an "elderly multigravida" like me! In the absence of an ebike I have just resorted to pushing my bike up the steepest hill and questioning all my life choices on the other hills.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1519 on: April 29, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »

LOL, and you were an "elderly multigravida" like me! In the absence of an ebike I have just resorted to pushing my bike up the steepest hill and questioning all my life choices on the other hills.
You are hilarious.

Yep, I was definitely elderly and I was a high risk pregnancy also for other reasons. I can sing the praises of ebikes all day long.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1520 on: July 28, 2022, 03:27:53 PM »
Just to throw this out there - many ebikes have a button that you can press that will cause the bike to pull itself up the hill at a walking pace. On our two bikes it minus button. Press and hold and it will roll along. Let go and it stops assisting. Also, the brake will interrupt the assist.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1521 on: July 29, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »
Oh Feroz, this is obviously no longer relevant (hopefully your round ligament pain will promptly resolve after birth), but for any future folks who find this thread - I biked until my center of gravity changed so much it felt dangerous, but the key was a wide saddle and biking 'out'. That is, instead of imagining your knees going up and down, imagine them going diagonally out and back. The wide saddle because your sit bones move apart as the relaxin kicks in, and the knees out because there's no space in your pelvis anymore for the old motions.

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1522 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »
I've been bike commuting for 6 weeks now and I'm on the second week of all four days biking in. It's about 8 miles one way and surprisingly protected for being in a southern US city. I have a 7 speed step through city bike that I love. I can't go fast, average about 10 mph but it's a very peaceful ride. The first three miles are through a chill quiet neighborhood, then a college campus, a city park, another quiet neighborhood street and then two miles of curbed off bike lanes.

Reading through this thread I have crazy respect for all y'all winter bikers. I'm dealing with 100+ degree summer rides but at least drinking water, wipes for the morning, and so many change of clothes takes care of most of the problems.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1523 on: August 18, 2022, 02:49:19 PM »
I've been bike commuting for 6 weeks now and I'm on the second week of all four days biking in. It's about 8 miles one way and surprisingly protected for being in a southern US city. I have a 7 speed step through city bike that I love. I can't go fast, average about 10 mph but it's a very peaceful ride. The first three miles are through a chill quiet neighborhood, then a college campus, a city park, another quiet neighborhood street and then two miles of curbed off bike lanes.

Reading through this thread I have crazy respect for all y'all winter bikers. I'm dealing with 100+ degree summer rides but at least drinking water, wipes for the morning, and so many change of clothes takes care of most of the problems.

The thing that sucks the most about winter biking is all the damned gear.

Summer cycling - shorts, t-shirt, socks, shoes, backpack

Winter cycling - Multiple front lights and rear lights (make sure all the batteries are charged), reflective clothing, hi-viz clothing, baselayer, fleece, windshell, extra layer of clothes in case it's really really cold, windproof pants, long underwear, heavy gloves, face covering, hat, extra pair of socks, warm boots, backpack

Once you're dressed and moving it's fine . . . but the preparation is daunting.  :P

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1524 on: August 19, 2022, 06:22:11 AM »
I actually need less gear to pedal in the cold than I do to drive. Pedaling keeps me warm.  And I don't need to spend 2 hours clearing snow to get my bike down the driveway.   

And I will absolutely take 0F over 100F ANYTIME.  I'm sure 100F and southern humidity would kill me.  The 80F we have right now is bad enough.   

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1525 on: August 21, 2022, 01:53:08 PM »
Last time I biked (about 15 miles), one of my ring fingers went numb, and didn't return to full feeling for a few days. I have an old wrist injury from typing that flares up occasionally, so I figured it was related to that.

This time (two weeks later), I wore my padded gloves, stayed off gravel paths, and tried to keep my wrists straighter and put less weight on my hands. It definitely helped, but I still had a little bit of numbness, this time in both ring fingers, although it subsided much more quickly. Has anyone else successfully addressed this problem?

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1526 on: August 21, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
I've had some issues with numbness but never bad enough to lose that much feeling for that long. Overall bike fit seems to play a big role. Some bikes I have I'm just more prone to it than others.  On the bike I have the worst problems with, Ergon brand grips have helped a lot.  I get the kind with the little bar end stubs to give me a couple of different hand positions to move around to at the first sign of numbness.  Remembering to ride with my core engaged and using my torso to support itself rather than my arms is also helpful   

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #1527 on: August 24, 2022, 12:46:59 AM »
Last time I biked (about 15 miles), one of my ring fingers went numb, and didn't return to full feeling for a few days. I have an old wrist injury from typing that flares up occasionally, so I figured it was related to that.

This time (two weeks later), I wore my padded gloves, stayed off gravel paths, and tried to keep my wrists straighter and put less weight on my hands. It definitely helped, but I still had a little bit of numbness, this time in both ring fingers, although it subsided much more quickly. Has anyone else successfully addressed this problem?
Google carpal tunnel syndrome maybe?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1528 on: August 24, 2022, 10:05:38 PM »

What kind of bike are you riding that's giving you numbness?  I have experienced numbness with flat bars with crappy grips on long distance rides.  For me, drop bars are much more comfortable because of the many positions you have for moving your hands.  Also, the straight handshake like position of riding in the drops or on the hoods keeps my wrist at an angle that my hands seem happier with.  Generally you want to have your wrists in a mostly straight position.

Tire inflation plays a roll in this as well.  It's common for people to fill their tires up to max pressure.  This is usually the wrong pressure to use - and an overinflated tire will transmit much more shock and vibration from the road into your hands - causing pain/numbness.  Tire pressure should be calculated based on the size of the tire (this will be written on the sidewall), your weight + the weight of the bike.  You can get some ballpark idea of what pressure you should be riding from online calculators (https://cycleschinook.com/tire-pressure-calculator/).

As has been mentioned, bike fit and setup can also really play a part in this.  If your frame is too big many people will slide their saddle farther forward on the rails to be able to reach the bars comfortably.  But when you do this it ends up shifting your weight significantly into your hands hands - might be OK for short rides but will start to really hurt/cause numbness on longer rides.  If your bars are too low a similar problem can arise.  Having too much reach to the handlebars can sometimes make people grip at awkward angles and cause problems.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1529 on: August 28, 2022, 08:37:37 AM »
Google carpal tunnel syndrome maybe?

My old injury was diagnosed by a doctor as not carpal tunnel. From my rudimentary knowledge, carpal tunnel is more likely to affect the thumb-side to middle of the hand, whereas my problem is on the pinky-side.

I have experienced numbness with flat bars with crappy grips on long distance rides.

This is probably an accurate description of my bike. I am pretty confident my frame is the right size, and I know the correct tire pressure to use - although last ride, my partner inflated my tires for me, so I should check with him.

Bar height is a variable I haven't messed with. I can also look into the grips recommended upthread.

Any tips on using core/torso muscles instead of letting weight fall into my hands, or is that just something I'll have to be really conscious of until it becomes habit?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 08:48:05 AM by Tass »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1530 on: August 28, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
Any tips on using core/torso muscles instead of letting weight fall into my hands, or is that just something I'll have to be really conscious of until it becomes habit?

You can't use your core correctly if your saddle is in the wrong position.  It's very counter-intuitive (or at least it was for me) . . . but pushing your saddle further back from the bars tends to take weight off of the hands.

Think about doing a squat.  What happens?  If you keep your feet flat on the floor your butt has to stick way far back so that you don't fall forwards.  Now think about doing a squat where there's a wall or something preventing your butt from sticking far enough back.  You're going to tip towards the front.

If your saddle is too far forward you end up cycling in that forward-butt squatting position and this means that your hands are stuck taking up all that weight.  By moving the saddle further back on the rails you can get into the butt-back position which will naturally engage your core core more to prevent so much weight from going to your hands.  A quick check to see if you're in the correct saddle spot is hover your hands an inch over your grips while riding in your regular position.  If the saddle is too far forwards, you will have difficulty doing this or immediately fall forwards.  With a further back position you should be able to hover them for a few seconds at least.

If you're running flat bars, cheap bar ends can be set up to offer an alternative position to put your hands (usually the position is more ergonomic than flat bars too - less wrist angle in the handshake rather than pushup position).  It's very important to move hands around regularly on longer rides as this also helps prevent numbness from developing by letting your blood flow around the hand and not causing constriction.

crimp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1531 on: September 01, 2022, 10:22:22 AM »
I just recently paid for a bike fit. It was absolutely worth it! Riding is way easier -- I'm actually using gravity and torque instead of forcing my way forward with my quads. I can do my ~10mi each way commute multiple days in a row without feeling like I'm working that hard. I'm no fitter than before, I'm just not abusing the wrong muscles. The fitter moved my handlebars closer with a new stem, shortened my handlebars,  tilted my seat forward and taught me how to 'fall' into the pedals instead of pushing down.

The cue he used to demonstrate the concept to me was to put both hands behind my back with the bike on a trainer. We put the bike into the highest gear and then I just leaned forwards and backwards to fall into the pedals. It really feels like I only just learned how to ride a bike.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1532 on: November 04, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »
Just took a new job where I am no longer fully remote. I've been trying to bike to work when I have the flexibility. I went into the office Tuesday - Thursday this week and biked each day. It's about 13.2 miles round trip. Takes about 30 minutes each way. The big plus is it's basically all greenway/biking trails except the last quarter mile. I've also been largely biking to the gym when I go 3-4 days a week unless the weather is bad. That's 3.2 miles each way. But that will change because my company has a gym and it's a fraction of the price. But it may be a bit harder to just bike to the gym on a whim because it's now about 7 miles away, right near the office. Will probably just try to go to the gym the days I go into the office.

I have a 2020 Diamondback Haanjo 5. Got it through expert voice for 40% off.

https://99spokes.com/bikes/diamondback/2020/haanjo-5
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:19:05 AM by mizzourah2006 »