Author Topic: Standing desk at work  (Read 3120 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Standing desk at work
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:54 PM »
When I returned to work in 2017 after a truly lovely 2 weeks off (holiday shutdown plus 1 week vacation) I cranked up my desk to a standing position. I found it helped lessen the feeling of gloom that comes from staring at a screen all day after 2 weeks of freedom. Since then I have kept my desk at the standing position and only sit down for meetings in conference rooms or when I visit the ladies' room to powder my nose. It's going well, so I'm going to challenge myself to stand all of the month of January.

Anyone up for joining me in this challenge?

sonjak

• Stubble
Re: Standing desk at work
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
I do this too.  It's lovely!  :)  So just voicing my support for this goal. 

And to say, for folks who are new to this, take it easy at first.  More is not better from Day 1; it can replace some pain with others.  And if you don't have a mat to stand on, you should get one.  They make a HUGE difference!

Ingon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
I'm in. Actually, I've been standing for a while now, and I now experiment with a wobble board for some part of the day (5 or so minutes for now). It gives a completely different feel for me, instead of straining my back it will strain my lower feet. So nice, but getting through the day still feels a bit hard.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
I would say I am if I didn't get bored standing all day. I've been standing for about 3 years. I bought the Varidesk but lately I've been doing more sitting. I find that unless I am always engaged on the computer, standing can get pretty boring. I am an accountant so naturally if I have to get really detailed standing doesn't always work.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
How is standing more boring than sitting when either way you are stationary and working on the same thing?  (Not trying to be difficult but to understand this.)

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
How is standing more boring than sitting when either way you are stationary and working on the same thing?  (Not trying to be difficult but to understand this.)

It strange standing around when you aren't actually working. It's easier to peruse the internet, read MMM, etc, when you're sitting. It's real visible what you're doing at your desk when you're standing so just standing around without actively working can be boring and weird.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »
For me I tend to shift my weight back and forth or otherwise move more than I can sitting, even on my yoga ball.

taxedatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
I have been wanting to do this.  This thread was an excellent reminder, so thanks for posting.  We have standing desks at the office, but I have been reluctant because I'm addicted to having a second monitor!  But, I finally got my portable monitor from work, so I should be able to use the standing desks in the office now.  I will try it the remainder of the week and see how it goes.

On another vein, what kind of shoes do you all wear?  I'm thinking sneakers would be best, but definitely a no-can-do in my office.  Do any of you do this in daily in heels?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 04:15:21 PM »
Heels = torture devices

I just wear one of my series of black leather flats. I also have flat leather boots. Nothing special but certainly nothing that is going to squish my feet into unnatural shapes. 

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
I don't have a standing desk, but I walk a ton. I've found 2 - 2.5 in wedge heels are a perfect mix of dressy/professional and still comfy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »
Could you take the heels off while at your desk? Otherwise, comfy flats or short wedge heels should do the trick :)

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
Yes, you'll ruin your back if you do this all day in heels.

I am lucky that I can wear hiking boots or similar so between that and the cushion/pad, I do pretty well (although my feet/back still hurt if I stand ALL day and/or don't get my walk in mid-day).

Also, I have two monitors and they fit on my desk.  I wonder if my desk is wider than yours, taxedatty?

taxedatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
Yes, you'll ruin your back if you do this all day in heels.

I am lucky that I can wear hiking boots or similar so between that and the cushion/pad, I do pretty well (although my feet/back still hurt if I stand ALL day and/or don't get my walk in mid-day).

Also, I have two monitors and they fit on my desk.  I wonder if my desk is wider than yours, taxedatty?

it's not so much the size of the desk.  Sitting desks in our office are equipped with either one or two adjustable monitors built into the desk unit so we can have our laptop and second/third monitor.  But the standing desk is really just a flat work surface the size of our normal desks--no other monitors built in (I guess because it's adjustable height and therefore would be mounted to the wall?).  But my problem is solved anyway since my firm provides portable second monitors -- mine had been broken, but a new one shipped to me last week.  The office also has treadmill desks if I decide that also walking 2 mph while standing and working is valuable.  I think I'll stick with standing only...lol

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
Ah, that makes sense! 

And yeah,  I prefer to get outside for my walking whenever possible.  :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
I have a varidesk, which is a standing desk, but not an idea one. (The newer office spaces at work have electronic desks that fully raise and lower.)

I stand for at least 30 minutes 3 times a day. I'm 8 months pregnant, so much more than that would be pushing it.

wiredcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »
An overweight colleague of mine claims he has lost quite a bit of weight and gained core strength by standing working at his computer.  He's done it for about six months. It definitely seems to be a better approach than sitting for some if not all.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!