Author Topic: Spring Cleaning For Cash  (Read 4019 times)

Bethany J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Spring Cleaning For Cash
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »
I am in the process of cleaning out the garage and basement. Trying to see how much I can declutter and make some extra cash. Post you results too!

So far:
Someone is coming tonight from Craig's List to buy our old gas mower. Just bought the Fiskars reel mower. Will get $100. Haven't used this mower in several years.

Going to post the kids Jeep on Craig's List today. They are too big to ride in it now. Should get $50-75.

Got my husband to let me sell 5 of his Playstation 3 games on Ebay. Sold one for $25.99 so far.

Sold a small scooter my son has outgrown $5 (paid $3 at a yard sale and he used it for 2 years)

Have a bag of books to sell at Half Price Books. They paid me $40 last time.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
Re: Spring Cleaning For Cash
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
You're on a roll Bethany!!  I bet you'll make tons of money this month with all the changes you're making.  We did the same thing a little while ago and made a bunch of money with old kids stuff that we had been keeping around for no good reason.  You can sell all kinds of stuff on craigslist.

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
I made close to $3k doing this last fall! I had worked in a high-end audio store in college and accumulated a lot of equipment at low prices. Decided I am sick of having it all collect dust without ever being opened in close to ten years and sold it all! Now my basement is cleaner too!

R62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
I hear the call!

Sold my electric bike last week for for $400.  Sigh.  I was gunning for around $1K, but when I took it into the shop for a tune-up, learned that the battery (long neglected) was toast.  It was going to cost $500 to replace it with a new one (or $350 for a refurbished battery).  Sold the bike on the spot for the $400 without the battery.

Took some clothes into consignment last weekend.  The consignment store will start out at around $425 asking price for the lot (they provide an estimate).  Based on my experience, I can expect around 25% in-pocket of the original asking prices.  So, hope to see a $100 check in about 3 months.

Next on my list to sell is a set of antique Japanese block prints I overpaid for about 25 years ago (nicely framed under UV glass).  Hope to glean a few hundred $$.

After that, my espresso machine goes (purchased used on eBay and since refurbished).  Should net 1-2 hundred $$.

I do this about twice a year - spring and fall.  Glad to declutter and pick-up some extra cash.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
I moved in with my girlfriend a couple months ago which motivated me to sell off or Goodwill as much as I could, since we don't need 2 of everything. We live in the clutter to motivate us to keep finding things to get rid of. Most significant was selling two loveseats for $270 and a SCUBA regulator I don't use anymore for $360.

I sold and shipped today an old cell phone and a USB gamepad that I bought and never opened. That earned me $88 for both! I probably set the prices too low because they both sold within 24 hours... but I'm still pretty new to selling online. Sometimes I list something and it goes immediately, other times it languishes for weeks (if anyone wants some size 9 hiking boots or a size ML 8mm wetsuit let me know!)

Stephanie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Even a minimalist like myself mysteriously ends up with stuff that needs to go. :-)

Just sold a camera for $400 and about to sell a USB internet device for $20.  I love Craigslist.

With the stuff I can't quite part with I put in "to sell" bags downstairs.  If I need it within the next six months I will take it out.  But after that, it will be time for Fall Cleaning for Cash.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
Even a minimalist like myself mysteriously ends up with stuff that needs to go. :-)

Just sold a camera for $400 and about to sell a USB internet device for $20.  I love Craigslist.

With the stuff I can't quite part with I put in "to sell" bags downstairs.  If I need it within the next six months I will take it out.  But after that, it will be time for Fall Cleaning for Cash.

I use this same method.  This weekend I plan to go through a box in my storage space that I put down there last year.  Anything I haven't missed (which is just about all of it) will be sold at a yard sale I'm having in two weeks.  It feels great to get rid of that stuff!

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
- Sold an old water heater this morning for $100.
- Have someone coming to look at my old claw foot tub on Friday.  Hopefully + another $100.
- No interest yet on my trailer mount bike rack (no longer have a car with a hitch).  May have to lower the price from $75.

I still have a bunch of other stuff I need to sort and get rid of.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!