Author Topic: Spring Cleaning 2015  (Read 5097 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Spring Cleaning 2015
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:00:02 AM »
It's still pretty wintery here, but the odd warms days are making me have this weird urge to clean.  This is different than the decluttering challenge (feel free to join that one as well.)  This one is for that type of once-over deep cleaning activities that in my place only happens once or twice a year. 

I'm going to include efforts at both my house and office.  The office is a wreck (some of the wreck I inherited when I moved into the office last year.)  The house . . . well let's just say I had a couple of pets go to pet heaven this year and their habitats are still there with whatever food was leftover all dried out.  Nasty, I know.

Next week I am actually going to take a couple of days off to work on this at home.

Join me, fellow MMMer's!  Into the breach!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spring Cleaning 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:59:20 AM »
I'm with you!  Having a 'do it' day with my hubby (not as fun as it sounds).  We IM each other every hour with a list of things we will get done in that hour.  Mine really needs to be cleaning/errand related.  Other long-term projects are cleaning out closets and organizing/cleaning basement.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
decluttering and cleaning is a perpetual task around my home, but I'd definitely like to make a more focused and conscious effort in the next month or so. 

I won't be taking any time off of work to do it, but I really should be able to "find" time for this!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »
I am totally up for it but it's still too cold here - I can't even open the windows to let fresh air in.  I have piles of snow 6+feet high in front of the house!  But as soon as it warms up, I will be spring cleaning for sure. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
I'm in! 

I really want to declutter and clean our guest bedroom.  The room is way to full!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
I've been working at this, but have a few details to attack:  cobwebs in corners, taking down curtains and washing them, pulling the bed and nightstands out and vacuuming behind/underneath, washing windows/sills/tracks, wiping down light switches, taking down and washing light fixture covers, shampooing the section of carpet that gets a lot of traffic, cleaning out heat registers and air return grates, replacing furnace filters.

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm sure there's more I can add later.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
I do want to give my trim near the floor a wipe down. Also the fridge could use another once over, I'm sure.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
You are all giving me good ideas for areas to tackle!

I've decided to tackle one room/area type per day, roughly.  Today is bathroom day.  This morning I did the master bath including washing the little rugs, wiping the top of the window frame, and wiping smudges off of the wall. 

It's also steam clean up the cat vomit day, although that is a perpetual task it seems, no really spring cleaning.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »
As I declutter I am finding various little things to fix.

Today - took down bedroom curtains and put up light-blocking/insulating curtains - as the days get longer, I don't want to wake up just because there is too much light ;-)
Mended the lining in a spring jacket, now it is ready to wear whenever the weather warms up.
Tightened all the hardware on the bed frame so it doesn't shift and make weird noises.
Got all the under-bed storage out, gave everything a good sweep (lots of dog hair), and put much less back than was under there originally.

Plus potted up the pepper seeds that have just started showing a root.

nzmamma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »
We have our house on the market at the moment so I am pleased to say most of the decluttering/cleaning is done around here. I'd suggest you pretend your selling, pick a date it needs to be done by and go for it. Worked for me :-) 3 weeks of friggin hard work later and I love it, on fact I've never enjoyed walking around my house so much. Maybe just plan a party at your place, invite everyone, then work to get it all done before that date, could be fun :-)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
^Yes, good idea.  I am overdue for throwing a party, and it does get me going.

The thing about selling is you have to keep it clean, which I am not great at doing.  Good luck selling your house!

I am finding a few little things that need fixing, too.  I'm trying not to let that distract me from the cleaning.

Today is master bedroom day.  I'm spying some little cobwebs as I type.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
Master bedroom was done and today I did the living room.  UFYH told me to start with the coffee table, so that's what I did to get going.  Dusted, mopped, wiped down baseboards and window sills, cleaned the fish tank.  This one area per day is working really well for me.

And it was warm today.  Spring-like warm.  So I feel like I'm getting a leg up on that and when the weather is really nice I can go party outside without any guilt of the dusty homestead weighing me down.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
I've been working at this, but have a few details to attack:  cobwebs in corners, taking down curtains and washing them, pulling the bed and nightstands out and vacuuming behind/underneath, washing windows/sills/tracks, wiping down light switches, taking down and washing light fixture covers, shampooing the section of carpet that gets a lot of traffic, cleaning out heat registers and air return grates, replacing furnace filters.

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm sure there's more I can add later.

Aggh!  I hunted this thread down thinking I'd be able to cross most of my items off, but no.  I did the window sills and tracks, and the light switches, but that's it.  Oh, I flipped the couches and vacuumed up about enough hair to make a whole new dog out of it.  OK, washing light fixtures, replacing furnace filter and shampooing the carpet tomorrow morning, first thing!

How is everyone else doing?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
I gave the bedroom and master bath a thorough clean last weekend but it was too cold to wash the windows.  I dusted the fan blades and on top of the wardrobe, dusted all the pictures, vacuumed behind the nightstands and all the crevices and baseboards, dusted the light fixtures and scrubbed the floor in the bathroom - all of this in addition to the normal bi-weekly cleaning.  The windows and curtains will need to wait for warmer weather.  I am planning to do the loft and, maybe, the living area downstairs next.   Not sure if I will have enough energy to do them in one go, may split it over a couple of days.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
I was getting the itch, then it got cold and snowed again. I rent w/my roommate, so we'll be sharing the spring cleaning, but she hasn't quite figured out that if you want a clean house you have to clean.

My to do list:
Clean bathrooms top to bottom (1 done, 2 to go)
Vacuum under furniture
Dust/wipe down furniture
Deep clean of the kitchen
Empty and wash basement litterbox (1 done, 1 to go)
Wash all windows
Wash floors: kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, front door area, basement
Sweep garage
Take down the blinds off the hallway windows and wash them. Wash windows and window sills. Put it all back together and never touch it again. Give the 15 ft ladder back to my parents.
Spot clean carpet where needed
Finally hang the damn curtains on the last living room window (been not doing for 3+ months)
Find the curtain for the small bathroom and hang it.
Dust ceiling fans

Plus the usual maintenance cleaning!