Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211507 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #450 on: September 28, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
General question relating to a capsule wardrobe idea: how do you go about putting together outfits?  Do you actually spend the time to try on all the possible combinations of the pieces you have?  Or do you just put the outfits together mentally?  Or some other method (arranging the outfit on the bed or on a hanger)?

I am asking this question because I often find myself thinking that a certain combination of my pieces would look good together but in practice when I actually put it on, it doesn't work.  It may work well in theory, or one aspect of it may work, but there is something else wrong.  For example, it may be the right color combination but the shape is wrong, or it's too bulky together, or the length is wrong, or the textures don't work together, or I feel overdressed, etc.  When I buy a new piece, I try it on for size and fit, but I don't go to the next step of actually trying it on with every other thing in my closet that I think may go with it.  As a result of this, I tend to have set outfits and combinations and I don't do a lot of mixing and matching.

So what is your process and what method works for you?

My wardrobe is much larger than capsule-size.  But if I buy an item, I won't keep it unless I can find 4 distinct outfits.  Well, I'm a little more forgiving with dresses since really they are the outfits, and and of themselves (adding different cardigans or scarves doesn't feel like it counts).  That doesn't mean I'm capturing every possibility, but it has to do that much in order to earn a place in my closet.  But I also periodically try to look at a handful of items and try to think of different ways to use them, and then I'd try those on to see if they work.  Similarly, if I am inspired by a fashion blog or an outfit I see somewhere, I'll go to my closet and try to create it.

I know some people go so far as to keep outfit books or spreadsheets that basically list every possible outfit. Then they an search on "blue Gap shirt with bracelet length sleeves" and see a list of every single combination that includes that.  This would include trying on each outfit, or at least all the ones that aren't basically the same, like swapping gray and black pants in a similar shape.  TO much work for me though.  I find I'm pretty good at mentally putting together outfits, and I only try them on if I'm not sure. 

But if you are in a rut, it might make sense to set aside an hour or so and just play with different combinations.  Perhaps you could invite a friend over for a second set of eyes, and another brain to try and come up with additional possibilities. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2015, 01:45:02 AM »
General question relating to a capsule wardrobe idea: how do you go about putting together outfits?  Do you actually spend the time to try on all the possible combinations of the pieces you have?  Or do you just put the outfits together mentally?  Or some other method (arranging the outfit on the bed or on a hanger)?

I am asking this question because I often find myself thinking that a certain combination of my pieces would look good together but in practice when I actually put it on, it doesn't work.  It may work well in theory, or one aspect of it may work, but there is something else wrong.  For example, it may be the right color combination but the shape is wrong, or it's too bulky together, or the length is wrong, or the textures don't work together, or I feel overdressed, etc.  When I buy a new piece, I try it on for size and fit, but I don't go to the next step of actually trying it on with every other thing in my closet that I think may go with it.  As a result of this, I tend to have set outfits and combinations and I don't do a lot of mixing and matching.

Putting me Together is a very helpful place to look.

http://www.puttingmetogether.com/p/building-remixable-wardrobe-series.html

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2015, 04:37:11 AM »

I would say that I think about this significantly less now that I've switched to a "uniform" for work. I didn't entirely get rid of all my old clothes, so there are still some outfits to be made. However, for the most part I wear the same basic pieces every day  - pants, white (occasionally other colored) button down shirt, sweater. Any shopping I've done recently for work clothes has been only for items that match those specific criteria. I can grab just about anything 3 items out of my closet and they will 'go.'

I think this approach is pretty different from a capsule - at least in what I've seen capsules seem to involve a smaller number of pieces of clothing, mix up patterns more (I don't really do patterns), and have more multi-use items (work and weekend and going out clothing, for instance). I would find that much more challenging than what I'm currently doing.

Previously I definitely did what you are doing - buying things w/o considering how they might work w/ other items, spending time putting together outfits (usually I hang everything up together in my bathroom the night before - so this was where I'd see if it all worked), being frustrated because various items did not work together or didn't fit right or something else. I arrived at my particular uniform because it is one outfit type that very consistently works for me. It may be a bit boring, but it has been pretty much foolproof in regards to working.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2015, 04:39:59 AM »
Thank you Villanelle and Londoner38 and MsPeacock.  This is very helpful.  Especially the link.  I think I will set aside some time on Saturday to do some trying on and figuring out outfits from my closet.  It's supposed to rain anyway so I'm not going hiking...

I bought a few items recently and I really need to make sure that they are versatile enough or they will need to go back.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2015, 04:40:41 AM »
OOTD - very much "uniform" today. Pants old from H&M (paid $5 for them 4 or 5 years ago - love these pants), Old Navy sweater (also old and inexpensive - $15 maybe 5 years ago), Kohl's white shirt ($20 1 or 2 years ago). Payless shoes that are actually comfortable.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: September 29, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Thank you Villanelle and Londoner38 and MsPeacock.  This is very helpful.  Especially the link.  I think I will set aside some time on Saturday to do some trying on and figuring out outfits from my closet.  It's supposed to rain anyway so I'm not going hiking...

I bought a few items recently and I really need to make sure that they are versatile enough or they will need to go back.

I've got better at mixing things up lately, but I've found the only way to judge things is to try them on together.

Things that I thought would work, ended up not, eg tucked in silk top with a gathered skirt ending up being too voluminous around the middle. But since I was determined to try every top on with that skirt I tried a button up shirt, which i thought would be way too much fabric on one body, and it looked great. I need to add belt loops to that skirt though, it just wouldn't stay put and it looks much better with a belt on.

Other people may have more imagination than me, but to see if the silhouette worked (rather than just the colours / prints) trying on was the only way to go for me.

Also, today I am wearing a nice top which I thought, hmmm, why do I never wear that with that suit?! Well, I got my answer when I took my coat off - the top is long-sleeved, the jacket is 3/4. I've been tugging my sleeves up a lot today... so take my wardrobe advice with a big pinch of salt!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 29, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »

Mrs. Peacock - I saw your request for other people to post photos too. I'm afraid that I don't know how you do that photoshop thing to cover your face! I'm not sure my outfits are all that interesting either since I dress casually.

I am far from a computer whiz. What I do is email the photo to myself from my phone. I then open the photo from the attachment in MS Paint (which is part of the MS Office suite, I think). It has a option for drawing shapes, and I choose "fill" rather than outline, and that's it. I save it to my desktop and then use the attachment option when I post.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: September 29, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »
I also go with the uniform approach to work clothes, as opposed to a capsule. I have about 12 pencil skirts, some year-round, a few for just summer or winter, that i wear everyday. Top is either a wool crew sweater, a button down shirt or a cardigan twin set. Skirts are navy, black, gray with a couple of florals. Tops almost all match almost skirts, so the mix and match combos are extensive. I have three or four pair ballet flats that also match most of the outfits. Dressing is a snap. Shopping is even easier, as I know exactly what brand and styles and sizes I love, so when somethings need replacing, I just watch for a sale. I admit out of a little boring, but in a conservative setting, with safety issues that prevent me from wearing heels, scarves or necklaces, its a good solution.

Now... For casual clothes, I'm more capsule. 2 jeans, 2 leggings, 1 cord pants. Could sweaters, button downs, tees and a handful of scarves. Flats, booties and tall boots and I'm set. I love all the mix and match combos. I have a couple pair heels and necklaces that dress up my pencil skirts for church. Overall it's a relatively small closet that works for me. Not 33 small, but small enough that I always look great, never have to think or worry about clothes and easily fits in my half of our tiny closet.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »
OOTD - Lands End pants (clearance) and sweater (I have 3 or 4 of these in different colors), white shirt from Kohls.

Does anyone know of a good brand/source for bras that are actually comfortable. Maybe mostly cotton? Lined. Possibly pull-over rather than hook (although I could deal with either). I'd like to find a few that don't dig into my skin or make me want to have a temper tantrum and tear them off by the end of the day.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2015, 04:41:55 AM »
Shopping is even easier, as I know exactly what brand and styles and sizes I love, so when somethings need replacing, I just watch for a sale. I admit out of a little boring, but in a conservative setting, with safety issues that prevent me from wearing heels, scarves or necklaces, its a good solution.

This +1. I am in and out w/ the shopping now. I found a blouse at Express that is about $50 but often on sale that is just perfect for me in terms of fit and style. They will be my go-to from now on. I have a go-to for style of pants and sweaters as well. I can just bypass 98% of the stuff in the store w/o a second glace and a moment wondering if it would go. It's awesome!

My casual clothes aren't quite to that point - but close. I just don't have much that is casual (a couple pairs of jeans and some long sleeve winter shirts...).

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: October 01, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »
OOTD: Lands End pants and sweater, white shirt.

Do you have "go to" items - a pair of pants from store X or a sweater from store Y that you know fits and works w/ your capsule or uniform - so you buy multiples of that item?

Also - ponte pants - highly recommended here by others - every single pair I see are like leggings. Very clingy and tight. This would not be appropriate in my work environment. Do they make any other style? Does the fabric work for a less fitted pant?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:10 AM »
MsPeacock, as to ponte pants, I have two pairs of these from Lands End. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-slim-leg-ponte-pants/id_272926?sku_0=::F24 They are trim and slim but definitely not like leggings and I do wear them to work (business casual setting - large corporation).  They are longer than what is shown in the picture.  Also check JJill for ponte pants, I think they have several different cuts.

ETA: I am a solid size 8 and I got size M in the ponte pants from LE even though I normally wear size S in most of their clothes.  When you are looking for ponte pants, try going up in size to avoid the tight look.

I spent some time last night trying things on.  As a result, I am returning 3 tops I bought recently that I thought would complement my existing wardrobe.  I also added a couple of items to the consignment pile.  I realized that a couple of older sweaters I was considering replacing fit me quite well so I will keep them.  Overall, I need to make a better effort to actually wear what I have because I do have a nice variety in my closet.  Instead, I was falling into a very predictable pattern of wearing the same few combinations of clothes most of the time.  While I like the idea of a uniform, I do get bored easily if I wear the same stuff over and over again.  So I need to focus on building new outfits with what I have. Oh, and I really need to lose at least 5 pounds or I'm at risk of having to replace all of my winter pants!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:19:33 AM by ZiziPB »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: October 01, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »
Do you have "go to" items - a pair of pants from store X or a sweater from store Y that you know fits and works w/ your capsule or uniform - so you buy multiples of that item?

Yes! I now own the same cardigan in four colours (one of the four is only 3/4 length sleeve, so a little different). If something looks good and wears well, I will haunt ebay until I've found it in at least a few different "me" colours.

I almost bought a second of my fave black casual dress because it's so versatile and easy to wear, and black is the base colour for my wardrobe. But I could only find it new, for $99. Eventually a grey one came up in my size on ebay, so I snagged it for I think $28 including postage. Glad I waited!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Question: how is everyone finding the COST of setting up and maintaining a capsule wardrobe?

It occurred to me the other day that because I will mostly stick to brands that I know wear well and still look good after many many wash cycles, and because I mostly buy my dresses and cardigans secondhand on ebay*, I probably spend less than my peers to wear much better quality clothing.

I also feel like less of my clothing budget ends up wasted: I no longer buy things in colours that I will never wear, thanks to having put serious thought into which colours I want in my capsule. I limit myself to a narrow range of styles, so almost everything matches. It's rare now to buy something and have it fall apart quickly, as I choose better made clothing (no space for "fast fashion" in a capsule!).

But it's not cheap, either.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
Question: how is everyone finding the COST of setting up and maintaining a capsule wardrobe?

It occurred to me the other day that because I will mostly stick to brands that I know wear well and still look good after many many wash cycles, and because I mostly buy my dresses and cardigans secondhand on ebay*, I probably spend less than my peers to wear much better quality clothing.

I also feel like less of my clothing budget ends up wasted: I no longer buy things in colours that I will never wear, thanks to having put serious thought into which colours I want in my capsule. I limit myself to a narrow range of styles, so almost everything matches. It's rare now to buy something and have it fall apart quickly, as I choose better made clothing (no space for "fast fashion" in a capsule!).

But it's not cheap, either.

I think there is some up front cost - at least there was for me because I only had one white shirt, for instance. I had to buy another 4 or 5 to have enough to not do laundry more frequently than I like. Same with some pants. However, I think my long term costs will be much lower. I would guess that I actually haven't spent much more than I would have spent on other clothing, but this set should last me much longer and I will be less in the long run.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
OOTD: Lands End pants and sweater, white shirt.

Also - ponte pants - highly recommended here by others - every single pair I see are like leggings. Very clingy and tight. This would not be appropriate in my work environment. Do they make any other style? Does the fabric work for a less fitted pant?

They definitely make ponte pants that are more trouser and less legging.  They are likely going to be slim, but only because that's the style right now.  I had a very wide-legged pair of ponte pants about 10 years ago.  They draped beautifully.  But I have a pair now that are not legging-tight and fit slighty loosely from thigh down to ankle.  They are about 3 years old so I can't recommend them as something you could buy out there, but they do exist.  I tried on a pair yesterday at Nordstom in fact, but I didn't note the brand.

For the question about cost, I'm not going full capsule or uniform, but I am converting to a smaller palette and overall style.  I'm doing it very slowly.  I'm eliminating yellow from my wardrobe, for example, since I don't think it flatters me and I don't love it.  But I have a yellow breton style shirt that I still wear a decent amount, simply because I treat breton stripes like a neutral.  It's a good quality shirt (Boden) and I live the fit.  So I'm not going to get rid of it until it wears out, at which point I will either not replace it, or replace it with something more within my limited parameters.  That helps keep the cost down because I'm slowly phasing out the outliers, rather than doing a full scale purge, with the resulting need to buy a lot more items. 

If you have brands and specific pieces you know you like, ebay might be an option.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2015, 04:54:37 AM »
My thread up bag was finally processed. It took more than a month since they received it. I sent 4 or 5 cashmere identical (other than color) sweaters, a pair of Express pants, a sweater and shirt from h&m, a lulu lemon jacket, possibly one or toe other things. I washed everything and went over it all extremely carefully to make sure it was in excellent condition. They accepted the pants, the stuff from h&m, and one sweater. I received 9.50.

Yeah, I will not be bothering with that again. First, the time to process was ridiculous. Secondly, I think all or nearly all of the items would have been accepted by the local shop (which is hard for me to get to, but I would have gotten the money upfront), I think I would have gotten more per item than I did from thread up. I basically sent them about $400 worth of clothing and got $10. I honestly would have rather given it to charity. Very glad I didn't pay their $12 fee to have my clothes so sent back to me since I would now be down by $2.

I am going to cash out and I'm done with them.

On  a happier note I found a nice pink crew neck sweater on blue fly. I usually have bad luck with that site because the clothing fits weird or isn't photographed accurately or something. I actually ordered three sweaters that were on my due for replacement list. I sent two back right away and kept the pink. When I went to put it on I discovered a hole. Their customer service could not have been better. They fedex me a replacement immediately, paid for return shipping and picked up the old one at the door. I had the replacement sweater before I had sent the damaged one back.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »
My thread up bag was finally processed. It took more than a month since they received it. I sent 4 or 5 cashmere identical (other than color) sweaters, a pair of Express pants, a sweater and shirt from h&m, a lulu lemon jacket, possibly one or toe other things. I washed everything and went over it all extremely carefully to make sure it was in excellent condition. They accepted the pants, the stuff from h&m, and one sweater. I received 9.50.

Yeah, I will not be bothering with that again. First, the time to process was ridiculous. Secondly, I think all or nearly all of the items would have been accepted by the local shop (which is hard for me to get to, but I would have gotten the money upfront), I think I would have gotten more per item than I did from thread up. I basically sent them about $400 worth of clothing and got $10. I honestly would have rather given it to charity. Very glad I didn't pay their $12 fee to have my clothes so sent back to me since I would now be down by $2.

I am going to cash out and I'm done with them.

Wow, what a racket!  I am so glad that I have found a local consignment store to deal with!  The store does not pay up front but they carefully look at the items you bring in and decide what they will take right there and then.  You get a percentage of what the item sells for.  The location is not very convenient for me but it's not that far from where I work so I can just get there during lunch.  That reminds me that I have a few more items to bring in next week :-)

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #468 on: October 17, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
I have not been active on this thread, but I am in the early stages of capsulizing. 

Clothes shopping has always been a serious headache for me. I am tall and large breasted, but not heavy (women's large shirt, 5'9"). This project is making these challenges way worse, as I am trying to be pickier then I have ever been able to let myself be in the past.

So my current challenge: a basic tee shirt that is long enough for a tall person, looks similar to a cami when it is under a jacket or button down (wider neck then the default on a tee. Could be scoop neck or boat neck), does not show cleavage, cotton or cotton with a little bit of spandex, no rayon, and not $50 each. Nice to haves would be not see through and long staple cotton. Currently I use layers to achieve this list (one for the outer layer, one so that I don't flash my belly or boobs and you can't see through it. I want to get this down to one shirt at a time.

Do any of you have any ideas on where I should look?

Where I have checked so far:
Eddy Bower: wrong shape neck or too low cut
J Crew: too transparent
Gap/ Banana Republic / Old Navy: all either rayon or too high cut or too low cut in the neck.
H&M: promising, but do not come in tall sizes. I have an old one from them and it is very short on me.
I have found a good option for ~$60, but do not want to spend that on an undershirt: https://www.thewhitetshirt.com/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #469 on: October 18, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
H&M: promising, but do not come in tall sizes. I have an old one from them and it is very short on me.
I have found a good option for ~$60, but do not want to spend that on an undershirt: https://www.thewhitetshirt.com/

Fellow 5'9" here. I would encourage you to try H&M again- I find their cuts and lengths vary substantially over time. I usually visit a couple times a year (their shirts always fit DH for some reason, so we go to buy for him) and about every second year their shirts are the right length and weight. I buy a lot when they are, obviously.

Otherwise, I do share your struggle. I also end up layering. I have found some great, thickweight tanktops at target for very cheap (on sale often). JC Pennys as well. Both of these stores I have found some good long basic T's in juniors, but it's hit and miss on the fabric thickness- really depends on trends. But don't dismiss juniors departments out of hand, some decent basics can be found for cheap there if you're lucky.

Otherwise, sadly, it seems like $50 is where you end up for longer lasting, higher-end feeling items.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: October 18, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
I have not been active on this thread, but I am in the early stages of capsulizing. 

Clothes shopping has always been a serious headache for me. I am tall and large breasted, but not heavy (women's large shirt, 5'9"). This project is making these challenges way worse, as I am trying to be pickier then I have ever been able to let myself be in the past.

So my current challenge: a basic tee shirt that is long enough for a tall person, looks similar to a cami when it is under a jacket or button down (wider neck then the default on a tee. Could be scoop neck or boat neck), does not show cleavage, cotton or cotton with a little bit of spandex, no rayon, and not $50 each. Nice to haves would be not see through and long staple cotton. Currently I use layers to achieve this list (one for the outer layer, one so that I don't flash my belly or boobs and you can't see through it. I want to get this down to one shirt at a time.

Gap/ Banana Republic / Old Navy: all either rayon or too high cut or too low cut in the neck.

This may not be an option for you, but I frequently acquire shirts several sizes too large and tailor them to fit.  Tshirts are the easiest.  I like to leave the neck and shoulders seams intact but cut the sleeves out and the up the side seams then reshape everything from there. The larger size gives me the option to make it as long as possible.  I am not tall but have an active lifestyle and am not a fan of crack! 

LM123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #471 on: October 18, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
I recently found the "perfect" T and hopefully it might work for you as well. It's the Gap Fit Breathe V-neck. They come in black, grey, and white as well as the colors shown at this link. You might just have to poke around the website a bit to find them.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=92363&vid=1&pid=142856212

I'm 5'10" and this T-shirt is definitely long enough. It might have a bit more stretch than you are looking for but I honestly love the stretch and it is sooooo comfy. I currently own 8 of them, all different colors. They are advertised as 29.95 but they go on sale all the time. I know my size now and I check their website regularly for when new colors go on sale. I wear them every day and they have held up well for 2 years! They do tend to stretch out a bit over time, but they get longer, not baggier, which is great for us tall women! I'm a C cup and the V-neck shows absolutely 0 cleavage. They look fantastic under a blazer too. Best of luck on your T-shirt quest!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
I am nearly as tall and have a disproportionately long torso. I just got a few times-shirts at H&M last week. I also got a nice one amjcpennys over the summer (usually there stuff doesn't work for me). H&M has some "basics" or "dividend" items that usually do the trick. The challenging thing is that at any given time the store may have 20+ styles of t shirts and you have to root around until you find the right one.

It was this shirt, and the long sleeved version.

http://tablet.hm.com/us/product/83742?article=83742-K

Hope the link works. It is the 5.99 t.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #473 on: October 21, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I placed an order of several options from h&m, and will return whatever does not work.

annajane83, I really like the idea of everlane, but so far I have been put off by how loose fitting all their tees are styled. With a US 34H bra size, loose tops make me look immensely overweight. Do you think it would be worth sizing down and trying them?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »
OOD - Haven't posted in a while. The pants are about a size too bag and kind of stiff. I like the colors w/ the dark blue sweater. Pants were clearance from LandsEnd, sweater from H&M. I haven't been posting much because the outfits are basically repeats most days.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: October 23, 2015, 04:40:25 AM »
OOD - Haven't posted in a while. The pants are about a size too bag and kind of stiff. I like the colors w/ the dark blue sweater. Pants were clearance from LandsEnd, sweater from H&M. I haven't been posting much because the outfits are basically repeats most days.

The joy of a true capsule wardrobe!

I was recently travelling and really limited myself luggage wise (one carry on for 18 nights), and it was perfectly doable! That said, I was really tired of some of my clothes by the end of the trip, and I also felt like I was putting a lot of strain on them (wearing them out more quickly).

My capsule toiletries / makeup really came into its own, and I am so happy with the limited selection and how neat it looks now.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: October 23, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »

[/quote]

My capsule toiletries / makeup really came into its own, and I am so happy with the limited selection and how neat it looks now.
[/quote]

I am working towards this too. I really only use two lipsticks and a couple eyeshadow. I have plans for tossing several pallets as soon as I get out of bed.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2015, 06:23:42 AM »
I have what I consider to be a minimalist make up collection but it sounds like you guys are doing better than I am.:)

1 lipgloss
1 lipstick
1 foundation
1 powder
1 eyeliner
1 mascara
2 eyeshadow palettes
1 clear nail varnish.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »

I am working towards this too. I really only use two lipsticks and a couple eyeshadow. I have plans for tossing several pallets as soon as I get out of bed.

I like your style MsPeacock! I felt terrible throwing things away (I get really bad green guilt and feel like I must punish myself for consuming the resource in the first by using up every last drop / speck). But, it taught me a valuable lesson - stick to the products I know and love. I'm much happier with fewer choices and it has really quelled my makeup shopping desires, weirdly.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: October 26, 2015, 03:07:08 AM »
I might toss the blushes, or keep them for my sister's wedding next summer. However, I'm now thinking that they probably have bacteria built up and I don't want my cheeks breaking out. Hmm. Decisions.

Could you wipe them off with rubbing alcohol and allow to air dry? I think that would kill things, and if it didn't, oh well, you break out one time and then throw them away.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
I feel like I've got my work wardrobe just about perfect. I have:

-Two pairs of dress pants
-Two skirts
-Nine shirts
-Four dresses
-About five or six sweaters and cover-ups to let me keep wearing my summery things year round.

That seems to do the trick pretty well. Losing weight has pared it down substantially.

I don't have a lot of casual clothes - in addition to my exercise/ballet/hiking/outdoors stuff, I've got one pair of jeans, two skirts, one summery dress, and four shirts. My exercise tank tops do seem to double nicely as casual tops, which is handy. I wear my pjs at home a lot as well :)

I have three fancy dresses - one tango gown for ballroom events, one simple black dress for any sort of formal thing, and one fabulous hot pink sparkly strappy thing.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
I actually bought two new items for my wardrobe for the winter, a dark pink knitted jumper with short sleeves and a long sleeved cobalt blue (my favourite colour!) jumper.:)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »
Helllo - Just checking in and unearthing this thread to see how others are doing w/ their minimalist/capsule/simplified wardrobe plans. It has been almost a year into the plan at this point.

I have basically stuck w/ the plan (see photo below). Really enjoying the long-term benefits of having to not mess w/ clothing. I lost about 20 pounds so the droopy pants totally had to go, so I did spend some money on new pants and getting a few pairs altered down. I like the simplicity, looking forward to seeing how it carries into the fall. I don't see any need to make changes to what I'm doing at this point. I still have a few pairs of pants that probably should go just because I don't wear them much. Aside from the much needed pants I really haven't been buying any clothing in the past year other than an odd item here or there (e.g. a did find a blue and white stripped sweater on clearance that I purchased last week).

I've also simplified the non-work wardrobe down to a pretty particular set of jeans (one pair in particular) and the ubiquitous blue and white striped shirt.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This

abhe8

• Bristles
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #485 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
I'm actually using more of a capsule, given pregnancy size changes. :)

I'm down to 3 skirts and 6 sweaters for work, 1 pair jeans and 2 pair yoga pants for weekends. It's a little less then I would prefer, but I'm sure I will need a bigger size in another few weeks, so I'm holding off on any more for now.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
My two favourite capsule wardrobe spots right now:

http://www.paris-to-go.com/2014/08/10-pieces-1-year-project-333-zero-waste.html

http://www.savespendsplurge.com/principles-of-a-practical-minimalist-wardrobe/

These are great!

Yes! Thank you for the links.

Allsummerlong I also found I moved towards neutrals in my wardrobe with the simplification, but I was trending that way anyhow.

I found that the wardrobe followed a general pattern in my life for the past year to purge and simplify many aspects of my life, financial, clothing, routines around the house like cooking, getting rid of clutter, etc. it has been quite pleasing. I don't even really think about my work clothing any more, which is wonderfully freeing and I don't shop/try to find something to make some over piece work.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: April 13, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
I am still following a "uniform" style for my office clothes - pants or skirt/shell/cardigan.  What I realized over the last year is that I really don't need that many pieces in my wardrobe.  I was down to 2 skirts (navy and black) and 3 pairs of pants (one gray, two black) over the fall/winter/early spring and that was perfectly fine and sufficient.  I wear jeans to work on Fridays so it's only 4 days each week when I have to wear "office clothes".  So I think I'm at a good place with bottoms.  But I still have too many tops and cardigans.  I will try to weed out some over the weekend, especially because some of my shells seem to be too tight in the chest.  Going through menopause is like puberty :-(  My body keeps on changing and nothing seems to fit.   

I also feel like I have too many casual clothes in general.  It's like the quest for the holy grail - I keep on buying new stuff hoping it will be better than what I already have.  But it very rarely is better and I end up with too much.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
I have too many sweaters. On the other hand, they all fit in the assigned drawer, so..... I guess the bottom line is that mnfirst goal was simplicity and then spend less money, followed by minamalism.

I know transitioning through summer will lead me to purge a few more things out of my closet.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: April 14, 2016, 07:08:06 AM »
I have too many sweaters. On the other hand, they all fit in the assigned drawer, so..... I guess the bottom line is that mnfirst goal was simplicity and then spend less money, followed by minamalism.

I know transitioning through summer will lead me to purge a few more things out of my closet.

My "problem" is that I have a huge walk-in closet so using the criteria of fitting in its assigned space would lead me to having a wardrobe the size of that of Dutchess Kate :-)  I am definitely striving towards minimalism but it's not easy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: April 14, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »

My "problem" is that I have a huge walk-in closet so using the criteria of fitting in its assigned space would lead me to having a wardrobe the size of that of Dutchess Kate :-)  I am definitely striving towards minimalism but it's not easy.
I'm SO jealous!  My closet is SO small (tiny, old house).  However, the closet easily fits my hanging clothes because the majority of my wardrobe is casual or workout stuff. 

I've been really happy with my smaller wardrobe (post Marie Kondo).  I've been acquiring new items to replace old ones, and everything has been going well.  EXCEPT I need a pair of nice black flats.  I want something like this:

I've been struggling to find them, and my foot is difficult to fit.  I really need to get rid of my current pair of black dress shoes because they're flaking and falling apart.

Those are nice shoes. I wear black flats almost exclusively.  Have you tried Norsstom? They are known for being particularly good for the hard to fit foot.

I have tiny, nearly nonexistent closets, so space does nicely force limitations on my clothing.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #491 on: April 14, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »

I'm SO jealous!  My closet is SO small (tiny, old house).  However, the closet easily fits my hanging clothes because the majority of my wardrobe is casual or workout stuff. 

I've been really happy with my smaller wardrobe (post Marie Kondo).  I've been acquiring new items to replace old ones, and everything has been going well.  EXCEPT I need a pair of nice black flats.  I want something like this:

I've been struggling to find them, and my foot is difficult to fit.  I really need to get rid of my current pair of black dress shoes because they're flaking and falling apart.

I have a pair of black flats that look almost identical to that! I got mine from Nine West. They fit once they stretched em for me. Definitely get leather, and get them stretched :)

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
I'm not sure if the Vivienne Files has already been mentioned up-thread but she has a whole section of her blog devoted to building capsule wardrobe, one piece at a time.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/02/how-to-build-wardrobe-one-piece-at-time.html

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
I'm not sure if the Vivienne Files has already been mentioned up-thread but she has a whole section of her blog devoted to building capsule wardrobe, one piece at a time.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/02/how-to-build-wardrobe-one-piece-at-time.html

I really liked that!!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2016, 04:09:56 AM »

Loved it!

Right now my maternity wardrobe is technically capsule size but I'm wearing many hand-me-downs so they aren't my style. 

I've been following this thread and can't wait to work on a capsule wardrobe with  my regular wardrobe.   

I've Konmari'd my regular clothes and ended up with 2 dresses and a lot of work out clothes.  So I will be starting from scratch there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
Planning to do a full Kondo of all my clothes this weekend.  I've gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a ton left.  Wish me luck :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: April 15, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!  I'm planning to go to Nordstrom and DSW in a few weeks.  I went to Nine West a few weeks ago, but my size was too wide :(

Planning to do a full Kondo of all my clothes this weekend.  I've gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a ton left.  Wish me luck :-)
Good luck!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
@4alpacas - You might try on the Michael Kors Fulton flats.   I found these to be wider and very comfortable. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!  I'm planning to go to Nordstrom and DSW in a few weeks.  I went to Nine West a few weeks ago, but my size was too wide :(

Good luck!

Thank you.  The purge is done.  I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I would like.  As a matter of fact, I pretty much knew what would leave the closet before I even started.  But I have probably a dozen pairs of pants (all in a size too small for me now), a few shorts (too small as well), six or so tops, a bag, a couple of scarves and a  pair of shoes that will make it to the consignment store.  I also have an unworn dress/tunic to return and I packed a bag of stuff for donation as well.  Not too bad and it only took me about an hour.  Still tons of stuff left but progress has been made :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Good luck!

Thank you.  The purge is done.  I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I would like.  As a matter of fact, I pretty much knew what would leave the closet before I even started.  But I have probably a dozen pairs of pants (all in a size too small for me now), a few shorts (too small as well), six or so tops, a bag, a couple of scarves and a  pair of shoes that will make it to the consignment store.  I also have an unworn dress/tunic to return and I packed a bag of stuff for donation as well.  Not too bad and it only took me about an hour.  Still tons of stuff left but progress has been made :-)
You got rid of more than 20 items!  That's impressive!