Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211483 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »
karaishere, it's not quite the same, but last week I really wanted to buy some essential oils (I make my own skincare stuff). I did all my research, visited a ton of sites, picked what I wanted, priced it up, put it in the basket, worked out how to get a good deal on shipping etc.

I actually couldn't buy because there was no room in the budget (YNAB devotee here), but I actually found I got all the satisfaction from the 'shopping' rather than the buying.

So as long as you have the willpower not to buy, and only to look, I think it can be quite a fun way to spend an hour! Especially if you're just gathering data for something you will be buying when the seasons change.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
I have been wearing the same "capsule" to work since spring and, honestly, I am kind of bored and becoming impatient for the weather to cool off so that I can start wearing my fall clothes. 

Anyone else feeling the same?  How do you avoid boredom when following a capsule approach? Especially if your capsule is rather small, like project 333 (mine is not!)?

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
I have been wearing the same "capsule" to work since spring and, honestly, I am kind of bored and becoming impatient for the weather to cool off so that I can start wearing my fall clothes. 

Anyone else feeling the same?  How do you avoid boredom when following a capsule approach? Especially if your capsule is rather small, like project 333 (mine is not!)?

My capsule is project 333 size, but I break the last 3 in the rules in that I switch it out more often than every 3 mos.   The weather changes here often enough, and I get bored enough that I change it out: (1) about right now-late Aug for the beginning of the academic year to still warm weather stuff, but stuff with more of a fall feel and maybe some booties and cardigans, (2) when it turns to pants weather, so around Oct, pulling out pants and lighter sweaters (3) in Jan for my serious cold weather stuff, (4) around April for spring stuff, including some skirts but still a few cardigans and pants, (5) around May I switch into my serious summer stuff, which includes shorts and tanks, and I keep this out until the Aug switch.

I find that I'd rather have fewer things that I switch out more often to keep me from getting bored and making sure I always have things the most appropriate for the weather.   

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »
I'm definitely not obsessing about my clothes. I like most of the pieces I have worn so far this summer and I feel comfortable in them, but I'm just feeling kind of "blah".  After you wear a piece that seemed special for 8 or 9 weeks in a row, it stops being special...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »
Can you change up the accessories or outerwear like jackets to avoid boredom?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2015, 06:19:22 AM »
I am finding it very helpful to discover the things that don't work in my pared down wardrobe. Because everything that I kept was held on to with the belief that it worked for me in some way. And yet, there are things that I have worn to work and come home and immediately dumped the item into the donation bag (after washing, because ewwww). I pulled four more pairs of pants out last week. I am going to try them on again, but I think they are all going to be donated. I know few sweaters are going. I have a short list of purchases for the fall that I will need to either replace worn out items or to fill in some corners for some thing that is missing.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »
A few pages back, I wrote about how my husband and I are going on a several-months-long road trip (with a few flying trips in between), and how I'd gotten rid of everything except 1 bin for storage and 2 carry-ons that came with me.

Now, a month into the trip, both my husband and I are saying "Wow, we brought way too much stuff."

We basically brought as much as we could fit in our Honda Fit ... and probably stressed ourselves out much more than necessary with having to unpack/repack/fit everything back in there several times.

I'm going back to Pittsburgh next month for work and bringing a huge duffel bag with me, to put back into our storage unit. Should make the next leg of the road trip easier to deal with.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
More of the same w/ the uniform.

I swear these pants don't look as droopy in person - something about the camera being slightly below waist level isn't doing them any favors. In either case, they are comfy!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
Filled in/replaced some items in my wardrobe last night.

Purchases:
Underwear (Costco - replacement)
Hoodie - replacement (Costco). Old one was 6 years old and fine except that I got a big bleach stain on the back about a year ago and it just felt so grungy w/ the stain.
White cardigan - replacement. Found one on sale at JC Penny. Old one is now greyish and pilled.
Black cardigan - replacement - same as above
Sea foam green crewneck. Replacement for one pulled from current rotation.
Blue crewneck - new, planned addition to the collection
white sleeveless turtleneck - for layering.

I took a bunch of sweaters out of my drawer - maybe 8 or 9, and a few other things (pair of pants, expensive Luluemon jacket I never wear). Shopping was *a lot* easier w/ a "uniform in mind. I wasn't so distracted with trying to figure out if something would work with other things in my closet, etc.

A few of the things I purchased:
I love the buttons on the blue sweater. The green sweater is actually a lighter color.

Anyone else scanning their wardrobe for deletions/additions/replacements?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »

I'm hoping to hold off through the end of the year, but I'm going to need some undergarment updates (underwear, bras) real soon. I'm looking at sustainable pieces, so I'm intrigued by the Frugalwoods's ExOfficio underwear (http://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/11/10/10-shockingly-expensive-things-we-own/) even though it's pretty pricey. I'm looking at bras from NICO.

I'm also on the look out for new black heels, but these are not a current necessity, since I teach and commute in flats, and black dress pants, although finding these stylish and also fair trade/made in the USA has been an arduous task, to say the least. (I'm open to suggestions!)

I received some Everlane shirts for my birthday and I'm very pleased; I will order more as my shirt/tank stash wears out (not until at least 2016).

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
I love that blue sweater!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »
I love that blue sweater!
I do too!  The sweater is gorgeous.

I was forced to buy new work shoes (hole in the toe).  I did acquire a few new items from a friend who was cleaning out her closet.  I have mixed feelings about taking so many items that I'm not sure I'll wear because I just spent a month cleaning out my stuff (KonMari method).  I received the items on Sunday.  I wore one item yesterday and another one today.  I'll give the items about a month in my closet.  I'll donate anything that I don't wear. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »

I'm hoping to hold off through the end of the year, but I'm going to need some undergarment updates (underwear, bras) real soon. I'm looking at sustainable pieces, so I'm intrigued by the Frugalwoods's ExOfficio underwear (http://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/11/10/10-shockingly-expensive-things-we-own/) even though it's pretty pricey. I'm looking at bras from NICO.

I'm also on the look out for new black heels, but these are not a current necessity, since I teach and commute in flats, and black dress pants, although finding these stylish and also fair trade/made in the USA has been an arduous task, to say the least. (I'm open to suggestions!)

I received some Everlane shirts for my birthday and I'm very pleased; I will order more as my shirt/tank stash wears out (not until at least 2016).

I was wondering about Everlane. They seem to have nice basics, and the prices are reasonable. I always get wishy-washy about buying clothing online because it is such a hassle if it doesn't work out. Have you been happy w/ the quality?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »

I was wondering about Everlane. They seem to have nice basics, and the prices are reasonable. I always get wishy-washy about buying clothing online because it is such a hassle if it doesn't work out. Have you been happy w/ the quality?

I have been happy so far (only about a month in). I will say they run a tad small, so my large shirts fit a little tighter than I like. This is not to say they run a full size smaller, but rather I like a little more give than they give me (I'm a size 8-10 on top). Their women's sizes only go to large (which means I won't be ordering bottoms there anytime soon).

Everything I've ordered so far (two shirts, two tanks, a long-sleeve linen shirt) are hand wash or cold wash, and obviously hang dry. Not a problem for most Mustachians, but something to be aware of if you do a lot of laundry.

I wouldn't normally do this, but here's a referral link if you happen to order something through them: https://www.everlane.com/r/spolen

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
Ugh - well, I try to avoid things that require special handling. Just because there will be at least once when I slip up and then the item is ruined. I wish they also offered a bit more in terms of color. If I order anything I will use your link!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2015, 04:29:01 AM »
Today's uniform: new white cardigan, and otherwise clothing you all have seen before.  The black cardigan that I purchased is exactly the same. Nothing too exciting here - very easy to get myself organized last night and hang up my clothing for the next day.

Trying to figure out if there is anything I want to add or subtract from the wardrobe as I go into fall. I think one pair of aspirational jeans (slightly too small) will be going now that I found two pairs at goodwill that fit pretty well. Undecided about other stuff, but surprised to find myself still purging. I probably need 2 or three more long sleeved blouses - white or similar that work w/ the sweaters.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: September 02, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
I'm looking at sustainable pieces, so I'm intrigued by the Frugalwoods's ExOfficio underwear (http://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/11/10/10-shockingly-expensive-things-we-own/) even though it's pretty pricey.

I have some Ex Officio underwear for hiking. It's very light and comfortable and wicks sweat well. They have it at Sierra Trading Post, which is usually a good discount from retail.

I also just got the Ex Officio Give-n-Go bras, which I ordered from Title 9. Wow, are they comfortable! (Only for small-busted women, though.) $26.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Chiming in on the Ex Officio underwear, I have two pairs (so does DH) and we LOVE them. It's exclusively what we wear for exercise/hiking/camping. Honestly it's so comfortable I kind of want to splurge and buy a couple more pairs to wear day to day. Yes, it's pricey, but I would say it's definitely worth it.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »
I have some Ex Officio underwear for hiking. It's very light and comfortable and wicks sweat well. They have it at Sierra Trading Post, which is usually a good discount from retail.

I also just got the Ex Officio Give-n-Go bras, which I ordered from Title 9. Wow, are they comfortable! (Only for small-busted women, though.) $26.

Chiming in on the Ex Officio underwear, I have two pairs (so does DH) and we LOVE them. It's exclusively what we wear for exercise/hiking/camping. Honestly it's so comfortable I kind of want to splurge and buy a couple more pairs to wear day to day. Yes, it's pricey, but I would say it's definitely worth it.

Good to know! Again, I'll be holding out for the year, but I'm glad to get more perspectives. (And more than one person's glowing recommendation!)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #419 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:19 AM »
I've tried the synthetic underwear, and for me cotton is the only way to go.  I'm just not comfortable in the synthetics against my skin.  The ones that are my current favorites are plain Jockey bikini underwear, they are holding up very well.  I think these ones will last me at least a few more years.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: September 03, 2015, 07:12:23 AM »
It's getting a bit more chilly here and I'm wondering how well my autumn/winter wardrobe is going to work.

Two black cardigans.
One red cardigan.
One wine coloured cardigan.
Grey jumper with a heart pattern.
Argyle pattterned jumper.
Long black skirt.
Black warm hat and two pairs of warm gloves.
Red coat.

I will wear my two black summer skirts but with leggings or tights (pantyhose) underneath. I will wear my summer tops but under warmer tops.

Hmm, I don't have any trousers (pants) at all.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

I have been happy so far (only about a month in). I will say they run a tad small, so my large shirts fit a little tighter than I like. This is not to say they run a full size smaller, but rather I like a little more give than they give me (I'm a size 8-10 on top). Their women's sizes only go to large (which means I won't be ordering bottoms there anytime soon).

Everything I've ordered so far (two shirts, two tanks, a long-sleeve linen shirt) are hand wash or cold wash, and obviously hang dry. Not a problem for most Mustachians, but something to be aware of if you do a lot of laundry.

I wouldn't normally do this, but here's a referral link if you happen to order something through them: https://www.everlane.com/r/spolen

Interesting. I'd say that their shirts (or at least their tank tops) run big. I ordered two cotton tanks and one ryan tank in smalls and ended up returning them to order extra smalls instead. (And yes, they don't do exchanges right now. You have to return and re-order which means tying up extra money on your credit card temporarily.) My tanks are wearing great after 2 months of weekly wear washing on cold (even the hand wash item) and tumble dry low/hang dry.

Yeah, I was talking about the t-shirts, which are more fitted than the tanks (you're right on the tanks--the Ryan tanks are billowy-er, and I think they're great). I'd be interested to hear if you order t-shirts or button-downs if you still order down a size. But this may have to do more with me being on the other side of the size spectrum :)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Welp, I decided to return the cardigans to JCPenny. I wore the white one and it was totally stretched out and baggy looking by the end of one day. I should have known better because they were something like $20 on sale. I've honestly had better luck w/ clothing from H&M and Forever21 then I have from Kohls and JCPennys. None of this is exactly high end clothing, but I expected better.

I think I may try the black cardigan from Everlane, even though it is $80 or so. I'd rather get something that will hold up for years. I will have to find another source for a white cardigan.

I'll use your referral link when I get to the point of ordering.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: September 10, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »
Outfit of the day - standard black pants, button down blouse. Its warm so no sweater. The shirt is new - part of fall wardrobe updates. I also got a plain white blouse. Both are from Express, where I have had remarkably good luck w/ pants and blouses (but not the trendy junk they sell). Blouse, although not plain white, goes w/ all the sweaters and fits the uniform rules in all other aspects. I saw in 2 weeks ago and thought about it since then, went back last night to purchase it after trying it on. It also fits the rule of having things that I "love" vs. making due. 

I am finding shopping much easier  - harder to find specifically what I want (which isn't really a new problem) - because I can just get past all the other stuff that would have previously tempted me for impulse buys.

Send a few things to thread-up later. I have some nice cashmere sweaters that are a little small and really too warm - off they will go, plus a few other things. Still weighing my options.

It is still in the 90s here so I am having somewhat of a hard time thinking at all about sweaters. I returned the white and black cardigans and looking for better options.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
I used midweststache 's everlane reference. Here's mine - we can have a chain if anyone is interested. I ordered a black cardigan and a sky blue t-shirt. Eager to see how the items are. I really wish they offered more colors - because, in general, grey, tan, and black, are awful colors for tops for me.

https://www.everlane.com/r/annekevandenbroek

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
I used midweststache 's everlane reference. Here's mine - we can have a chain if anyone is interested. I ordered a black cardigan and a sky blue t-shirt. Eager to see how the items are. I really wish they offered more colors - because, in general, grey, tan, and black, are awful colors for tops for me.

https://www.everlane.com/r/annekevandenbroek
Keep us posted on how the items hold up.  I've been interested in Everlane, but I don't know anyone who has experience with the items. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:03 AM »
The Everlane order should come sometime this week and I will definitely post pictures and feedback on the items once I have them.

Today's outfit: blue pants that I have had for 4-5 years. I'd actually set them aside because I thought they were maybe too small. Yesterday I went through my "maybe too small" pile and kept 3 pairs and sent one pair to Thread Up (along with a bunch of sweaters). These pants were something like $19 at Forever 21, machine wash, tumble or line dry - and look great w/ tons of stuff. Standard white shirt, blue navy sweater posted earlier (recent purchase from H&M).

Ordered a white cardigan, a pink V-neck (droopy cotton one from H&M was $5 is on the get rid of list - and further reminder not to buy disposable clothing), and light blue V-neck from Blue Fly this weekend. That should finish out all my fall shopping, assuming the white cardigan is suitable. I would like to find one pair of shoes that are dressy but can be worn w/ warm socks. Once winter is more underway I will determine if I am going to wear any of the very few skirts I kept or if I should donate them and be done. Leggings often make me too hot and itchy - although I love the look of skirts with boots. I will also be purging out a few summer t-shirts that I don't really like and didn't wear this summer. I'd rather have 2 and keep an eye out for something better than to have 5 and dread wearing 3 of them.

Very curious to see how things go w/ Thread Up. I was very careful about what I sent to them. My only other option for selling the clothing is a consignment shop, but it isn't near my house (in fact, quite inconvenient to get , although I think they are a little less picky and pay slightly more). 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
Very curious to see how things go w/ Thread Up. I was very careful about what I sent to them. My only other option for selling the clothing is a consignment shop, but it isn't near my house (in fact, quite inconvenient to get , although I think they are a little less picky and pay slightly more).

Curious to hear how it goes. Returns for my stuff on ThredUp are pretty low: Twice paid me way better, but alas, is now gone. My nearest consignment shop is really far away, though, so I'm okay with getting less for the convenience of just walking over to the post office. Just a few dollars is still more than the $0 the clothes were making in my closet.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 14, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
I have a $12~ thred up offer waiting to be cashed out (you have to wait two weeks now) There's also something on consignment, so if that sells it will be more. Twice sometimes was much better (sometimes even worse depending on what I sent). Oh well, at least they make it easy on you, and it is good to keep clothes in the secondary market. Not exactly a huge windfall however. Others in a higher tax bracket would probably be better off just donating and itemizing.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 14, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »

Curious to hear how it goes. Returns for my stuff on ThredUp are pretty low: Twice paid me way better, but alas, is now gone. My nearest consignment shop is really far away, though, so I'm okay with getting less for the convenience of just walking over to the post office. Just a few dollars is still more than the $0 the clothes were making in my closet.

I'm curious to see how this goes.  I moved to a rural area and have been trying to figure out how to sell some of my more higher-end, professional clothes since I don't need them all anymore.  I know they are a sunk cost at this point, but I really don't want to throw a DVF dress into the Goodwill pile.   I've tried Tradesy with no luck, maybe I'll try ThredUp.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:48 AM »
  I know they are a sunk cost at this point, but I really don't want to throw a DVF dress into the Goodwill pile.   I've tried Tradesy with no luck, maybe I'll try ThredUp.

RunHappy I am trying to get my hands on the DVF dress pattern from years ago (they can't re-release it because the company won't relicense it). Anyway, because of searches for this, I know that DVF dresses (wraps especially, of course) sell well and at good prices on Ebay (here in the UK at least). With high end labels Ebay could be a solid bet.

Also, I used to work in a charity shop, and we had a list of labels we looked out for that we were required to charge more for, so don't necessarily assume that they will sell them for cheap. This was in a relative backwater, and the list was decided centrally, so they weren't relying on individual knowledge of designers and names.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
For the next 7 weeks, I am living out of 2 suitcases and for various reasons, I need a huge variety of clothing in both season and type.  No super heavy sweaters or winter boots, but everything else from swimsuits and coverups to winter sweaters, and from lounge wear and flip flops to fairly dressy dress and heals. 

Should be an interesting experiment for me, and I hope to learn a lot about my perception of what I need vs. what I can get by with just fine. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
My clothing situation has improved a lot since it's gotten cooler and I've been able to add a few long sleeved shirts to the mix. I really just need one more pair of casual pants (something good for hiking and travel), one more sports bra, and I'm good to go at this point.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2015, 07:34:51 AM »
Reading all these posts about Thread Up and how little they take and how little they pay, I would encourage everyone to find a local consignment store instead.  I have two I use.  One is high end and more selective in what they take.  I used it to sell my collection of handbags.  The other takes pretty much any major brand as long as the items are in good condition.  I have sold about half of my closet through them (mostly office attire that was too small).  Yes, my large walk-in closet is about half empty now!!!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »
I got a message from Thread Up that they got my bag earlier this week and they will process it October 6 - so quite a slow turn around for finding out what they will pay. I will post back.

I received my Everlane package earlier this week. I ordered a medium t-shirt and a large cardigan. The quality of the cardigan is very very good. I think I paid $80 for it and I am very impressed with it. It is very fine merino wool, not itchy at all (which is how it should be), very well put together. It is a little big for me - I was worried that their sizes would run small. I think they list their large as being size 8-10 - I think this is accurate. I would normally wear a medium in a sweater (which is size 8-10 from Lands End). I think if anything this sweater is a bit bigger (in size large), but not by too much,  then a medium (from Lands End).

I also ordered a t-shirt in medium. It fits great. Nice soft cotton, lightweight but not see through. Soft and silky feeling. Lovely blue color. I wore it today. I love how the v-neck is cut. It is narrow, but a bit lower opening than other v-necks. I think it looks great. Medium fits true to size. I think it was $10 and is much better quality than the $10 t-shirts at Target.

I am 5'8" and about 130 pounds - to put the size in perspective. I will post pictures of the items when I wear them and have a chance.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
I can't get over the fact that one of the Everlane models looks like the boys from Hansen... Pretty sure they have her in shirts that are like 3 sizes too big for her.

Do their tees fit in a more flattering way than the pictures, or are these pretty true to fit? It doesn't look like they would be particularly flattering?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: September 18, 2015, 04:59:18 PM »
I can't get over the fact that one of the Everlane models looks like the boys from Hansen... Pretty sure they have her in shirts that are like 3 sizes too big for her.

Do their tees fit in a more flattering way than the pictures, or are these pretty true to fit? It doesn't look like they would be particularly flattering?

Don't you hate it when the models are all slouchy and tipped over? I just can't figure out how the clothes fit. Stand up straight! What is with the 1/2 tucked in shirts - does anyone actually walk around like that in real life. The t-shirt is cut feminine, but not close fitting. It isn't boxy (this particular shirt: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-tees/products/womens-v-neck-tee-sky) - the cotton v. It also isn't tight fitting. The photo from the back of the model probably gives the best sense of how the shirt fits. It was $15, not $10 - I still think a good value (having not yet seen how it will wash and wear).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #437 on: September 18, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »

Don't you hate it when the models are all slouchy and tipped over? I just can't figure out how the clothes fit. Stand up straight! What is with the 1/2 tucked in shirts - does anyone actually walk around like that in real life. The t-shirt is cut feminine, but not close fitting. It isn't boxy (this particular shirt: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-tees/products/womens-v-neck-tee-sky) - the cotton v. It also isn't tight fitting. The photo from the back of the model probably gives the best sense of how the shirt fits. It was $15, not $10 - I still think a good value (having not yet seen how it will wash and wear).

Thanks! Dang, wish these shirts were for me, but I would probably look as "boyish" as the models do with it on =( So far the best shirts I've found that flatter my figure are Banana Republic basic tees- they're affordable the rare times I'm down at their outlet store, but it's a good 45 minutes away.

Honestly, I've decided my current plan is to try and limp all my clothes along until we start trying for kids next year. From what I've heard/seen, even if you lose all the weight post-pregnancy your body can be totally different dimensions, so it seems silly to buy new clothes now. That being said, we'll see how well what I have holds out!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
Want to follow this. :)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2015, 06:42:46 AM »
Here are the photos of the Everlane t-shirt (please excuse the chaotic kitchen behind me - I had to take this picture 5 or 6 times before I could keep the kids, dog, and cats out of the frame for 10 seconds). It is a size M.

I am wearing the black Everlane cardigan today. I really like it. Very fine wool. I prefer it unbuttoned - took a few photos to show how it fits. I think the arms are a little long on me, but the shoulders are the right width. It is a size L. I also took a photo of my hand through the fabric so you can see how sheer it is. It is incredibly soft for a wool sweater. I love it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: September 21, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
Oh, the T-shirt is far more flattering than I expected! And I love the color on you.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2015, 04:39:58 AM »
Today's uniform - same pants (H&M), same shirt (Forever 21), new sweater (Forever 21). I like how the colors turned out.

I am going to try to be more consistent for a couple weeks w/ posting daily work photos, as the seasons change and I've purged a few things out of my closet again.

Anyone else want to post so photos of their capsules/wardrobe/uniform?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
MsPeacock, I like your outfit today - it has a youthful vibe but it certainly is age appropriate!

I am very happy that fall is almost here.  I put away most of my summer clothes and can finally enjoy wearing my fall clothes.  Fall is my favorite season!  I decided to buy a "jean button" at work.  For a $20 donation to United Way I can wear jeans to work every day until mid-November.  That greatly expands my options for bottoms which were limited due to weight gain.  I bought a couple of pairs of dressy jeans during the summer so I'm excited about being able to wear them now!  Normally, we can wear jeans on Fridays only.

I am also wearing a new pair of shoes today that I got in Edinburgh at the beginning of the summer.  They are lace up oxfords and I've been looking for a perfect pair for a couple of years now.  I finally found these in the Clarks store on Princes Street and they are super comfortable and look great.  Definitely a good purchase, and they remind me of Scotland whenever I look at my feet ;-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
My capsule wardrobe is working well! I've just ordered "my" cardigan in a fourth colour (all bought second hand on ebay) and yesterday received in the mail my favourite smart casual dress in a second colour (grey). Sticking to a very limited colour palate and keeping styles consistent really seems to work for me.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2015, 02:55:15 AM »
I have to say I'm getting a little bored with my clothes.:P I was looking for a couple of new jumpers (sweaters) and I realise I am relying far too much on the cobalt blue colour. I didn't notice how many blue cothes were in the shops compared to other colours.

I'm going to keep looking for another colour until I find something I really like. I can't seem to find the shade of green I want.

On the plus side I saw someone I hadn't seen for a while and he said that my top really suited me and asked me if I had recently coloured my hair as it looked pretty (which I hadn't) so at least I know the new colours I'm wearing do actually suit me.:)

Fall is my favorite season!

I love it too.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2015, 04:41:11 AM »
OTD - Outfit of the day. This sweater was actually the one that started it all for me - comfortable, looks good. I wish I'd purchased it in more colors. I got it at JC Penny's (Joe Fresh). It is such a basic item that I really hope they offer it again this year so I can get other colors. I got it on clearance for about $11 last year and there were very few in my size, so I think I was stuck w/ grey. Lands End pants, white shirt from Forever 21, comfortable unattractive shoes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »
OTD - Outfit of the day. This sweater was actually the one that started it all for me - comfortable, looks good. I wish I'd purchased it in more colors. I got it at JC Penny's (Joe Fresh). It is such a basic item that I really hope they offer it again this year so I can get other colors. I got it on clearance for about $11 last year and there were very few in my size, so I think I was stuck w/ grey. Lands End pants, white shirt from Forever 21, comfortable unattractive shoes.

I can't put my finger on why I like this so much- it should come across as monochromatic, but instead, it really lights up your complexion.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: September 24, 2015, 04:56:42 AM »
OOTD - outfit of the day. Same black pants, same white shirt, tan sweater (also from Forever 21). This is as basic as it comes, same as  yesterday. I put on bright lipstick because grey and tan are generally  not my friends and I would otherwise look washed out.

Happy to be having some fall weather!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: September 28, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
General question relating to a capsule wardrobe idea: how do you go about putting together outfits?  Do you actually spend the time to try on all the possible combinations of the pieces you have?  Or do you just put the outfits together mentally?  Or some other method (arranging the outfit on the bed or on a hanger)?

I am asking this question because I often find myself thinking that a certain combination of my pieces would look good together but in practice when I actually put it on, it doesn't work.  It may work well in theory, or one aspect of it may work, but there is something else wrong.  For example, it may be the right color combination but the shape is wrong, or it's too bulky together, or the length is wrong, or the textures don't work together, or I feel overdressed, etc.  When I buy a new piece, I try it on for size and fit, but I don't go to the next step of actually trying it on with every other thing in my closet that I think may go with it.  As a result of this, I tend to have set outfits and combinations and I don't do a lot of mixing and matching.

So what is your process and what method works for you?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: September 28, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
OOTD - stripey shirt of the type that I like, tan pants (old). Both items are from H&M.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!