Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211386 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
The library has a hundred copies, so it's not as bad as it seems. I'm also doing pretty well on my own, and I have a million and one business books to read, so I may wait it out. If I get impatient, I'll sneak over to a Barnes and Noble and read it on a lunch break.

One thing I can guarantee: I will not fold my clothes! She can't make me! Also, I don't have a dresser.

Haha, I didn't fold my clothes either, but I folded my underwear and socks and they do look so pretty. I have a large walk in closet so everything else I own is on hangers.

I'm exactly the same. I thought ha ha ha folding underwear, who has time for that? But she somehow instills in you an appreciation for your clothes, and suddenly I wanted to take the 30 seconds to fold them nicely and care for them. And decluttering has saved me so much time anyway - not that I couldn't find things, but everything is quicker and simpler now, even though I didn't think it was an issue before.

Cassie, I also have 'home' and 'out and about' clothes. I am working on replacing all of the home ones to 'comfy but presentable' so that I don't have to stop what I'm doing and get changed just to go to the post office (or, more likely, not want to get changed so not going). Love things to the point they wear out, is my new motto.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2015, 05:55:03 AM »
Next Tuesday my best friend and I have a "date" to declutter our closets.  I will bring all of the things from mine that I don't want to her house and we will go through both of our stuff together.

Bonus is we are about the same size, so a good deal of trading will occur.  At the end of the day anything left over will go to charity or consignment.
Our date went okay.  My friend wasn't feeling well, but since it was at her house at least I was able to go through all of my clothes.  She pulled probably 15 things from her closet, so we did get a bit started on her stuff as well.  Hopefully we will be able to do this again soon and tackle the rest of her stuff.

Funny thing is, I just went through all my clothes a few months ago.  I was surprised that I was able to find 3 reusable grocery bags of clothes to get rid of still!

I'm off to consignment with some things today.  The rest needs to be ironed before I take it in.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:18 AM »
OK - Kondo'ed drawer photos attached. Sorry I don't have any before pictures. I will also be purging some more pants because there are way too many in the drawer (and several pairs that don't really fit or I don't really like or whatever). Same with gym clothes. Amazed at how much neater everything is and how much easier it is to see what is in the drawer.

ETA - this process has helped me see more clothes to purge. I also have a box of 'winter' clothes under my bed which I plan to get out and get into the dresser/closet so I can see everything at once. I only have 3 pairs of regular (non-workout) shorts and that has been totally adequate. So, why do I have 7 or something pairs of jeans? And why do I have that green t-shirt - it doesn't go w/ anything!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:23:45 AM by MsPeacock »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:58 AM »
OK - Kondo'ed drawer photos attached. Sorry I don't have any before pictures. I will also be purging some more pants because there are way too many in the drawer (and several pairs that don't really fit or I don't really like or whatever). Same with gym clothes. Amazed at how much neater everything is and how much easier it is to see what is in the drawer.

Beautiful MsPeacock! Now go back and organise them darkest at the back and lightest at the front! It sounds mad, but why not give it a try as Ms Kondo would say? (I'm just kidding. She may have got to me a bit too much...)

I agree that it is so much easier to see what you have. Arranging by type made me happy to throw out a lot more because I could see how much of each 'item' I had, when I couldn't before.

And I haven't done my jeans yet, you've just reminded me! I've definitely got more than 7 pairs, uh oh. Off to take some of my own medicine.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
That looks very organized, MsPeacock, and also like something I'm not going to do myself.
I have to admit that I've made the jump into the KonMari method.  I never thought I would be into folding my clothes and keeping my drawers organized, but I am and I do.  It's really easy.  It's also easier to keep things organized because you don't have to pull out something from the bottom of a stack. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
That looks very organized, MsPeacock, and also like something I'm not going to do myself.

I admit that I tend to be pretty organized - and the clothes were folded before. It was just a matter of rearranging them. But I am one of those people that gets increasingly anxious w/ disorganization. The more organized I am the happier.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

ETA - this process has helped me see more clothes to purge. I also have a box of 'winter' clothes under my bed which I plan to get out and get into the dresser/closet so I can see everything at once. I only have 3 pairs of regular (non-workout) shorts and that has been totally adequate. So, why do I have 7 or something pairs of jeans? And why do I have that green t-shirt - it doesn't go w/ anything!

Beautiful drawers!

Seeing these pics inspired me to fold my stuff in a similar way (although I haven't read the book; I just copied your pics).   And folding my things like this made my drawers look like they're only 1/3rd full!   I was then able to move the last of my sweatshirts and lounge pants that I had on a closet shelf into my one chest of drawers

I now have 100% of my lounge clothes in one medium-sized chest of drawers!   This includes all of my socks, undies, tights, athletic stuff, painting/yardwork stuff, lounge clothes, sweatshirts, and PJs for all seasons in dresser!   Amazing!   Prior to starting this process a year or two ago, I used to only fit the athletic clothes for one season in it and has at least two large tubs of out-of-season stuff (and this was only lounge clothes and PJs).

Oh, and even with all of this my drawers aren't at all crammed.   Not only can I see everything, but there's still a good amount of empty space.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
My go-to top is a long sleeve, good quality T, either V or crew neck.  I had them stacked and folded on a closet shelf until last week when I decided to fold them and put them in lovely rows a la MsPeacock in a drawer.  Wow!  Does take less space, easy to see and no messing up the whole bunch of them to get to one shirt.  Hope I can keep this up!

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »

Still on the wait list for the book.  Have to admit I don't quite understand how you folded your clothes.  Do you roll each item?  Or do a traditional fold and then place upright instead of stacking like pancakes?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Has anyone used shelves to store clothing ala konmari? My closet is full of open shelves and I have my clothes stacked one over another.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »

Still on the wait list for the book.  Have to admit I don't quite understand how you folded your clothes.  Do you roll each item?  Or do a traditional fold and then place upright instead of stacking like pancakes?

Basically you just fold them into a square or rectangle of adequate size and stick them in the drawer. I just folded the jeans in half (legs against each other) and then in quarters. Shirts were left and right folded towards center, arms folded in, then in quarters. Nothing elaborate. It isn't any more complicated that regular folding - just easier to see and access.

Regarding shelves - which i also have in my closet. I am looking for some solution - my sweaters are stacked and it doesn't work very well (for the same reason it doesn't work well in a drawer). Has anyone tried rolling clothes and putting them on shelves?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2015, 07:32:44 AM »
Not a clothes roller or Konmarier but I'm wearing a top I used to really like that's been unworn for ages, and hm, I don't like it on me anymore! Another for the possible re-sale/swap pile.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »
MsPeacock- thank you for this great topic. Purged 22 items from my dresser today. This included 2 swimsuits that were over 30 years old!  Not sure when I thought my teenage body was going to reappear..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »
I really need to convince my husband to fold his clothes that way. Currently he is still in the "ball it up and shove it in a drawer" phase, carried over from his bachelor years... :P He always complains that he can't close his drawers. Grr.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »
I really need to convince my husband to fold his clothes that way. Currently he is still in the "ball it up and shove it in a drawer" phase, carried over from his bachelor years... :P He always complains that he can't close his drawers. Grr.

My children do that.  Frankly I just have to allow myself to be happy that their clothes are put away rather than on the floor or in the laundry basket with the cat sleeping on top of them. Boyfriend is equally hopeless but he keeps his mess at his own place.

Loving this thread so much!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »

Regarding shelves - which i also have in my closet. I am looking for some solution - my sweaters are stacked and it doesn't work very well (for the same reason it doesn't work well in a drawer). Has anyone tried rolling clothes and putting them on shelves?

I have seen pictures on the internet of people attempting the Konmari method by folding clothes and putting them like books in a row on shelves (sort of standing on the side edge).  I think it may work for stiffer items like jeans but I don't think it would work well for sweaters.  If you scroll through these pictures, you will see some examples of that http://karenkaminski.com/category/life-changing-magic/

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Frankly I just have to allow myself to be happy that their clothes are put away rather than on the floor or in the laundry basket with the cat sleeping on top of them.

Very good point. Although DH still does have a semi permanent "hamper wardrobe" too. Then he throws his dirty clothes in the closet because there's no room in the hamper.

We're making progress, though. Baby steps! :P

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Frankly I just have to allow myself to be happy that their clothes are put away rather than on the floor or in the laundry basket with the cat sleeping on top of them.

Very good point. Although DH still does have a semi permanent "hamper wardrobe" too. Then he throws his dirty clothes in the closet because there's no room in the hamper.

We're making progress, though. Baby steps! :P

I had a magical hamper that magically repelled all dirty clothing from males - all dirty clothing from a certain man was magically ejected from the hamper and strewn all over the floor. Years. Years of this. ugh. (Now divorced from that person and the hamper has resumed working correctly.)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
DH used to leave piles of unfolded clothes on the closet floor or shelves. Finally I asked him, so why do you leave clothes on the floor, and is there another solution that would accomplish the same goal? He said, I throw clothes on the floor if I've worn them (so I don't want to put them back in the drawer with the clean clothes) and want to wear them again (so I don't want to put them in the hamper). So now we have a whole bunch of hooks attached to the closet shelves so he can hang his once-worn clothes there. This actually seems to be working.

Admittedly, he was probably more willing to listen to me since we just suffered through a thoroughly disgusting moth infestation. Piles of dirty clothes DO NOT HELP.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
My husband also uses the laundry basket as a dresser. Drives me CRAZY. And I refuse to put his stuff away for him. I used to do it, all neat and organized, and he would have it in a mess within a few days. I felt like that showed a lack of appreciation for the effort I was putting in, so I stopped doing it.

MY drawers, however, and my half of the closet, are beautiful! I have everything in one drawer, and it's not even half full. Skirts, jeans, and scrubs are hanging up.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:47 AM »
I got rid of my laundry basket and now just put stuff straight into the washing machine. We don't have any white clothing so it saves time.:P

I'm wearing a black punk slogan type vest, black knee length skirt and a heart shaped pendant. It's quite warm here today.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »
Loving this thread so much! Im leaving for a several months long road trip in one week, so I have streamlined my wardrobe because, besides a small storage unit, if it doesn't fit in he Honda Fit, I'm not keeping it.

This process has been so much fun! I got rid of bags and bags of clothes and shoes that I never wore, and I've organized my remaining clothes into A-team, B-team, and C-team.

A-team clothes are going in one carry on bag. These are the items that I wear all the time. Lately my uniform has been tunic + crazy leggings + Chaco sandals so that's all mostly filling up the first carry on, along with 2 pairs of jeans and 5-ish tops, pjs, and a week's worth of underwear.

B-team clothes are in my second carry-on size bag. These are clothes that I will need when it gets chillier or if I need to dress up for some reason or if I run out of underwear :)

C-team clothes are in one of those Rubbermaid plastic bins and include a fancy coat, some more tops and skirts, and some sweaters. I may end up bringing this bin or I may end up putting it in our storage unit ...

Finally I have one more bin that is mostly sentimental clothes -- my wedding dress, an awesome fancy Hawaiian maxi dress, my threadbare Ramones t-shirt from back in the day -- things I don't wear but still want to keep.

So I'm down to 2 carry ons and 2 bins. It is a FANTASTIC feeling.

And we are doing this with everything -- kitchen stuff, hobby stuff, everything. Every load of crap I take makes me feel happier. Our apartment is looking rather empty and both my husband and I are like "the less stuff we have in here, the more I like it!" Good thing to know for when we settle down in future ...

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
Has anyone used shelves to store clothing ala konmari? My closet is full of open shelves and I have my clothes stacked one over another.

I think Marie Kondo would recommend that you get some boxes or baskets to store your clothes in on the shelves. This way you can stack the vertically like she suggests and you can slide the box or basket out like a drawer to get what you need. She's a huge fan of shoeboxes for underwear and socks.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2015, 06:46:38 AM »

I think Marie Kondo would recommend that you get some boxes or baskets to store your clothes in on the shelves. This way you can stack the vertically like she suggests and you can slide the box or basket out like a drawer to get what you need. She's a huge fan of shoeboxes for underwear and socks.

Oh! Great idea! I have some plastic bins and can give that. A try today.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2015, 08:17:35 AM »

Awesome idea! I'll give it try and report back results!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
Over 100 items (I stopped counting) bagged for donation today.  A lot of it was stuff that is several sizes too small, so it was time to be realistic.  I was tempted to save it and move it to the States where I could consign the higher end items, but I knew that might not happen. It needed to Just Go.  Also out went a lot of the wash and wear dresses I used to wear to work, and many of the shoes (30 pairs!) that went with them.  Heals are great for desk sitting; not so much for casual living and walking to trains.  Time to accept reality that, like it or not, the life of a professional woman is no longer mine, and won't be for some years. 

Great progress for me. 

I also finally got the Kondo book from the library. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
Tried the plastic bins w/ the sweaters - which worked fine. Then decided that I wanted to take my bedding out of my dresser and put it in the closet. Folded the sweaters Kondo style and put them in the drawer. Bedding moved to closet shelves. I also got rid of another 2 garbage bags full of clothing. Emptied by under-bed winter storage bin and put all the clothes w/ my summer clothes. Everything foldable is now in the dresser. YAY!

I've progressed to getting rid of expensive clothing that still fits but that I don't love - which is why it is still in fabulous condition. I'm sure someone will be very happy at Goodwill when they find this stuff. I am determined that the things I have will fit in my available space and bring me "joy" as Kondo says.

Still loving the uniform system for work. I haven't been posting pictures because it would be pretty heavy on repeats.

I have a pile of stuff to take to goodwill tomorrow - more clothing, the under-bed bin, the huge wicker basket that used to hold some of the bedding. Very happy w/ this weekend's purging and reorganizing.

I also Kondo'd all my kid's dresser drawers. They have way  more clothing than they need (hard to keep up when they keep growing and getting hand-me-downs.). Hoping I can get them to at least pcik 5 or so t-shirts to get rid of and maybe a couple pairs of pants.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
I've progressed to getting rid of expensive clothing that still fits but that I don't love - which is why it is still in fabulous condition. I'm sure someone will be very happy at Goodwill when they find this stuff. I am determined that the things I have will fit in my available space and bring me "joy" as Kondo says.

I've had exactly this feeling. I've even donated nice things that I NEVER wore because they just didn't quite work. The money's already spent - just let someone else get use out of it. Totally agree.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
I also Kondo'd all my kid's dresser drawers. They have way  more clothing than they need (hard to keep up when they keep growing and getting hand-me-downs.). Hoping I can get them to at least pcik 5 or so t-shirts to get rid of and maybe a couple pairs of pants.

My youngest is actually pretty impressed w/ his drawers now. We were both exclaiming over how many long sleeved shirts he has and that maybe we can pick 5 to get rid of. He likes that I folded his underwear and disappointed that I didn't do his jammie drawer.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »

I've had exactly this feeling. I've even donated nice things that I NEVER wore because they just didn't quite work. The money's already spent - just let someone else get use out of it. Totally agree.

I *finally* let go of some lovely clothes items yesterday, because I just don't wear them. Why am I keeping them if they're not actually adding value to my life?! No point. I keep reminding myself that somebody else will be THRILLED to own them next.

I have about 50cm of hanging space now, which holds all my dresses, tee shirts, cardigans etc. Then two drawers that hold sleepwear, underwear, and pants. I pretty much wear identical outfits to work everyday (dark coloured shift dress, with a blue, purple, grey or black cardigan) and I'm loving it. Super easy AND work appropriate. Having a uniform works well for me :-)

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
Has anyone tried out the online consignment shops like Twice or ThredUp? I cleaned out about 2/3 of my closet and I have quite a few items that are well known brands that are in good condition. I know they don't pay much, but it would still be something.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
Has anyone tried out the online consignment shops like Twice or ThredUp? I cleaned out about 2/3 of my closet and I have quite a few items that are well known brands that are in good condition. I know they don't pay much, but it would still be something.

The brand constraints of ThredUp surprised me. I didn't see as full a list on their website as they include on their bag insert. But they send the bag to you for free, so it may be worth ordering it anyway. No loss there. (You send it back for free too). Also worth noting, ThredUp doesn't take mens clothes, only women and children's, "In style", brand name, excellent condition. I didn't bother sending the bag back- I have never owned any of the brands they listed on the card! I can't speak to Twice though, no experience there.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #332 on: July 13, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
I have 14 trash bags (medium sized) in my basement.  And a deep sense of shame.  I had no idea how mad I'd gotten. 

I'm trying not to dwell on it, but it's difficult.  And it is affecting my progress because I don't want to wade through any more excess.  Truthfully, I'm not even make especially severe cuts. 

The only thing I can hope is that I remember this feeling and it prevents me from ever getting that bad again. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: July 13, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »
I have 14 trash bags (medium sized) in my basement.  And a deep sense of shame.  I had no idea how mad I'd gotten. 

I'm trying not to dwell on it, but it's difficult.  And it is affecting my progress because I don't want to wade through any more excess.  Truthfully, I'm not even make especially severe cuts. 

The only thing I can hope is that I remember this feeling and it prevents me from ever getting that bad again.

Villanelle - do you have to go through the bags - or can you just donate them? Do you have what you need already in your closets and dresser? If so, I'd say just move the bags along. The shame isn't helping you and only making you feel bad about something that it sounds like you are working very hard at changing.

I also find it helpful to get the stuff out of the house on a regular basis - I will never be one for having a garage sale or selling things online. Once I'd sorted I need the stuff OUT as quickly as possible.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: July 13, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
I recommend Twice--they take lots of brands, and while they're careful about condition, I figure I shouldn't own something in iffy condition anyway, so at least it gets stuff out of the house. I got $60 back from them last week. It definitely prompts me to discard extra stuff thinking there might be money in it.

Thinking of a few more clothes I can part with. I tend to be slow at this--lots of thinking about it first, making peace with the idea of having fewer options. Traveling right now with clothes for three weeks (work plus vacation), and realizing that I can wear one large backpack's worth of clothes for that long makes me feel like I don't really need to hold onto as much. Also probably leaving a pair of shoes behind when I return home--they are a little pinchy, and the suede has become dirty. I think I may do a big dump of the summer shoes I own after this season and start again next year with two nicer new (or gently used) pairs. Lots I just don't wear and then a feeling of 'ugh' about my choices.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #335 on: July 13, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »

The brand constraints of ThredUp surprised me. I didn't see as full a list on their website as they include on their bag insert. But they send the bag to you for free, so it may be worth ordering it anyway. No loss there. (You send it back for free too). Also worth noting, ThredUp doesn't take mens clothes, only women and children's, "In style", brand name, excellent condition. I didn't bother sending the bag back- I have never owned any of the brands they listed on the card! I can't speak to Twice though, no experience there.

I use Threadup all of the time.  They are picky, but I own a lot of Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Crocs, which they take as long as in good condition.   I have no problem finding Ann Taylor etc at Goodwill, so I'll often buy things for $2-$4 there and then sell it to Threadup if I decide it doesn't work.   My daughter also often has Osh Kosh (from Grandma), and Lands End and Gap Kids (from Goodwill), which they seem to take.

When I'm going through closets, I just put anything in the bag that there's a chance of them taking, and while they often only pay me for maybe 30% of what I put in, I'm getting rid of it anyway, and they donate the rest.   I've even had them pay me for some brands from Kohls that I wouldn't have guessed they'd take.   Overall, I rarely get more than $10 a bag, often as little as $3-$5 a bag, but they've paid me a total of around $200 in the last 2 years for things I'd just donate anyway, so overall, it's been worth it to me.

Tl;dr Threadup doesn't pay a lot and is picky, so I wouldn't send anything you feel strongly is worth any real money, but if you're just going to donate it anyway, might as well put it in the bag and ship it off for free to see.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:35:10 PM by Emilyngh »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
Did a big purge on the weekend. It's still a long way from being a capsule wardrobe (which I doubt I could ever make work for me as my personal style could never be adapted into a work style resulting in needing more clothes) but it is at least now a well edited wardrobe of stuff that makes me smile when I wear it with nothing damaged in it. Now if I let natural attrition do it's thing and cap the number of new purchases I will eventually own less and less.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: July 13, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »

I use Threadup all of the time.  They are picky, but I own a lot of Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Crocs, which they take as long as in good condition.   I have no problem finding Ann Taylor etc at Goodwill, so I'll often buy things for $2-$4 there and then sell it to Threadup if I decide it doesn't work.   My daughter also often has Osh Kosh (from Grandma), and Lands End and Gap Kids (from Goodwill), which they seem to take.

When I'm going through closets, I just put anything in the bag that there's a chance of them taking, and while they often only pay me for maybe 30% of what I put in, I'm getting rid of it anyway, and they donate the rest.   I've even had them pay me for some brands from Kohls that I wouldn't have guessed they'd take.   Overall, I rarely get more than $10 a bag, often as little as $3-$5 a bag, but they've paid me a total of around $200 in the last 2 years for things I'd just donate anyway, so overall, it's been worth it to me.

Tl;dr Threadup doesn't pay a lot and is picky, so I wouldn't send anything you feel strongly is worth any real money, but if you're just going to donate it anyway, might as well put it in the bag and ship it off for free to see.

I know it's silly, but I don't want to inconvenience them with clothes I feel for sure they won't want to take =\ But then, I have been told I feel too much personal responsibility for the wellbeing of others, lol.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »

Nice. Yeah, I have a lot of those brands from thrift stores as well, especially Ann Taylor. I'll have to give it a shot and see how it goes. I know that some of the brands that Twice and Thredup take don't overlap, so I might be able to split up clothes between the two...

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

My youngest is actually pretty impressed w/ his drawers now. We were both exclaiming over how many long sleeved shirts he has and that maybe we can pick 5 to get rid of. He likes that I folded his underwear and disappointed that I didn't do his jammie drawer.

My 5 yo son and I did this to all his clothes in his dresser a few weeks ago.  I was just going to do one drawer, but he really liked the results and insisted that we do all four.  When we were done, he wanted to go do his sister's dresser too!  He loves this system because it makes it easy for him to dress himself, which is important to him.   

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
Loving this thread so much! Im leaving for a several months long road trip in one week, so I have streamlined my wardrobe because, besides a small storage unit, if it doesn't fit in he Honda Fit, I'm not keeping it....So I'm down to 2 carry ons and 2 bins. It is a FANTASTIC feeling.

You might like this - traveling light & stylish: http://gigigriffis.com/how-to-stay-stylish-while-living-out-of-a-bag-part-i/

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »
I haven't uploaded anything in a while - this is the standard Lands End black pants, old blouse which I like the colors and cut, and a spectacularly unflattering grey sweater things. I don't have a grey cardigan and really need one. I also don't have a full length mirror at home and didn't realize just how awful this sweater thing looks. Yuck. (I also don't know how to pose). It hits me weird, the cut - awful. Going into the donation bin when I get home. I will not be wearing it again. My no-buy ends fairly soon so I will be on the lookout for a cardigan after that.

Ugh, just ugh on the top - but I am posting the picture anyhow and I am untying the sweater to try to make it less awful. I guess this is the benefit of taking photos of myself.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2015, 07:00:08 AM »
I've pretty much stuck with my capsule. The goal now is to get other clothes out of my house. I started taking pictures of some nicer items, but I'm never going to go through with eBay. To Housing Works they go.

I haven't uploaded anything in a while - this is the standard Lands End black pants

I say this with all respect and hope you don't get offended: those pants look a little big/droopy. These tan pants are much more flattering. I get that the phone is at a bad angle, but I think there's still a difference.

These are the sort of pants that are comfort over style, for sure. I think the photo angle from more or less crotch level doesn't do them much justice - but they are for sure loose and soft rather than structured pants. I do like how the tan pants, for instance, look, but they require pressing - so I don't wear them as often (they are in the hamper for the dry cleaners right now). I sit all day and get really uncomfortable in restrictive clothing, which has meant the trade off for some droopy looking stuff. However, the combo of the pants, that god awful grey top yesterday - tragic.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: July 16, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
I've pretty much stuck with my capsule. The goal now is to get other clothes out of my house. I started taking pictures of some nicer items, but I'm never going to go through with eBay. To Housing Works they go.

I haven't uploaded anything in a while - this is the standard Lands End black pants

I say this with all respect and hope you don't get offended: those pants look a little big/droopy. These tan pants are much more flattering. I get that the phone is at a bad angle, but I think there's still a difference.

These are the sort of pants that are comfort over style, for sure. I think the photo angle from more or less crotch level doesn't do them much justice - but they are for sure loose and soft rather than structured pants. I do like how the tan pants, for instance, look, but they require pressing - so I don't wear them as often (they are in the hamper for the dry cleaners right now). I sit all day and get really uncomfortable in restrictive clothing, which has meant the trade off for some droopy looking stuff. However, the combo of the pants, that god awful grey top yesterday - tragic.

It's not your usual trim and tidy silhouette, but you still look fine :)

Also, slouchy pants are quite in fashion now!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »
MrsP., when you decide it is time for a replacement, I can't say enough great things about ponte pants.  They look fairly refined and yet are soft and flexible.  If you aren't familiar with it, ponte is like a super thick jersey (like a tee shirt).  They are thick enough that there's structure to them, making them flattering and dressy enough, but they feel a lot like pajamas.  And they are machine wash, no iron.   And they can be found in many price ranges. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »
^I can't speak to ponte pants specifically, but ponte dresses and top/skirt separates are great multipurpose pieces. I wore a charcoal grey ponte tank/skirt combo to death a few years ago and have been trying to find the perfect replacement ever since. I've kept an old purple ponte dress that isn't a perfect color or size but works in a pinch until I find that perfect replacement.

Last week I packed up another 31 items for consignment, plus another half-box to Goodwill and a few bags of trash. (ETA: Have another 5 items to send but ran out of bag space.) I'm guessing I've purged ~200 pieces of clothing at this point; just posted 65 plastic hangers to freecycle.

My closet is down to 30 items, and all told -- including various season coats/jackets and shoes but excluding underwear and socks -- I'm down to about 90 items total. A few of those will eventually go away as I'm currently losing weight but in the middle of sizes, so I'm expecting the balance point to be around 75. It feels good, and so much more manageable. I still can't believe how much I owned considering how little interest I have in clothing and fashion.

I know it's silly, but I don't want to inconvenience them with clothes I feel for sure they won't want to take =\ But then, I have been told I feel too much personal responsibility for the wellbeing of others, lol.

For my clothes, I actually find the opposite: for me, Twice is more picky brand-wise, while ThredUp is more likely to take the brands Twice won't. I find Twice's payout prices higher per item, though, so I try to send as much to them as their parameters will allow, then send what's left to ThredUp.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »
Can someone link to ponte pants that they like?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »

I actually have a Target pair that I really like, but they are a couple years old. I also have a Vince camuto pair.  I don't know if these are the same pants as mine are about 3 years old, but here's a link to some.     Here

A blogger I follow speaks very highly of Talbot's ponte stuff, including their pants.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2015, 04:41:06 AM »

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fit-2-slim-leg-ponte-pants/id_272926

I got two pairs of these last winter and like them a lot. Very comfy and look decent enough to wear to work with a long cardigan.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: July 19, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
Well, I'm done.  All clothing sorted. Everything that doesn't fit by more than one size, gone.  Everything from my old professional life, gone. 

I'm getting rid of so much. Some of it is 12+ years old, and 4 sizes too small.  Despite the aforementioned shame, I feel really, really good now.  Everything feels so manageable.  And as I look at what I'm getting rid of, some of that shame is subsiding.  I really wasn't bringing in all that much unnecessary stuff.  It's just that I never got rid of anything that I no longer wore or that no longer fit. 

I feel really relieved to have it all done.