Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211417 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
I had a fun, productive clothing swap over the weekend. Norabird brought a friend who happened to be the same year in my small college, yet we never met there. I kept two dresses, three belts, which will replace my two existing ones, a scarf, a cardigan, a long-sleeved shirt, two workout tops, and two slips.

I'm already considering getting rid of a belt, a dress, and the scarf. I'm having minimalism anxiety over so many function-less accessories. The belts look nice, and save two work tops that are otherwise baggy, but do I need three? Or any more dresses? I've gone my entire life without a slip, and now I have TWO?

I'll get through this trying time somehow.

Wilmabird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
I had to break down and register so I de-lurk in this thread.  This has been fascinating and I'm really enjoying the conversation.  My background is in fashion (designer), and I recently decided to go the capsule wardrobe route.  I used to buy things because I HAD to support my industry and keep up with all my designer friends.  Well, now I don't care about that.  I had several jobs where there was an unspoken "all black only" rule, so I really love wearing black.  But whenever I design, I design with crazy colors.  So I would go several days wearing all black them BAM all-the-colors-at-once!  I've been gradually getting rid of clothes that don't bring me joy and replacing them with pieces that I feel comfortable in.  I'm also in the middle of losing a great deal of weight (about 50lbs down with another 30 to go), so I am trying to find pieces that will fit now and I can tailor myself when I lose more. 

I am trying to go with classics that have a slight edge.  examples: I have a great olive blouse that has little bronze studs on the shoulder, a simple black sweater with leather patches on the lower arm, and I just bought this striped shirt: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1579150/dana-buchman-striped-pieced-top.jsp

I think I will have about 30 items once I'm done piecing together my wardrobe.  Thankfully, I have all my bottoms and blazers- just need a few more tops and shoes!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
I think I will have about 30 items once I'm done piecing together my wardrobe. 

I am so impressed with people who actually pare down. Today I'm trying out a strapless cotton black and white print J Crew dress I've had for a while, maybe I got it at a clothing swap or thrift store..? It has tons of fabric in the skirt so it's good for picnicking (which I'm doing tonight), but then I feel like, well, it's just too *much* fabric. I'll probably re-wear it tomorrow using a different cardigan (picnic with someone else) and then perhaps on Sunday as it would be good for home/bus travel. I keep almost wanting to get rid of this but then it really can be so useful. I think I could easily pack it for some upcoming travel next month, it doesn't wrinkle, it's lightweight for summer...or I could keep it for a potential pregnancy dress not that I'm planning to get pregant...argh! I have gotten rid of a ton but a lot that's left has this lengthy mental argument behind keeping it. Maybe I'll see if the local thrift shop would want to buy it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
I think I will have about 30 items once I'm done piecing together my wardrobe. 

I am so impressed with people who actually pare down. Today I'm trying out a strapless cotton black and white print J Crew dress I've had for a while, maybe I got it at a clothing swap or thrift store..? It has tons of fabric in the skirt so it's good for picnicking (which I'm doing tonight), but then I feel like, well, it's just too *much* fabric. I'll probably re-wear it tomorrow using a different cardigan (picnic with someone else) and then perhaps on Sunday as it would be good for home/bus travel. I keep almost wanting to get rid of this but then it really can be so useful. I think I could easily pack it for some upcoming travel next month, it doesn't wrinkle, it's lightweight for summer...or I could keep it for a potential pregnancy dress not that I'm planning to get pregant...argh! I have gotten rid of a ton but a lot that's left has this lengthy mental argument behind keeping it. Maybe I'll see if the local thrift shop would want to buy it.

Would love to see a picture of it! It sounds like a really cool piece.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »
Posting to follow/contribute.

I started decluttering my closet last fall and got into the whole Capsule wardrobe concept. Honestly though, I don't think I can ever feel content limitatig myself to 30 items (I know it's not an absolute number, but just as an example).

My whole winter capsule wardrobe was built according to this concept, with a limited color palette and many neutral basics and a few color accents, where everything goes with everything. While it definitely made dressing up in the morning SUPER EASY (uniform approach), by the end of March I was really bored with my entire wardrobe. Wearing the same clothes over and over again felt redundant, like I was trapped in my lack of options. Especially in Spring, I felt like wearing brighter colors, but failed to find any in my wardrobe because they ''didn't fit'' the color palette.  Conclusion: I need to make adjustments and allow myself some exceptions for pieces that I love, that are good quality and that I can wear often, but don't necessarily match with everything I own.

Another difficulty besides living in Canada and having 3 distinct season capsules (winter, summer and ''in-between'' pieces), is that I also need a professional capsule vs. a casual one/housedress. I won't wear short shorts in the office, but enjoy wearing them on weekends in summer. Same for anything with a cleavage : absolute no for the office, totally fine in other settings. Office is not jeans-friendly, I like to wear jeans at home. etc.

Overall, it's still a work in progress!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Posting to follow/contribute.

I started decluttering my closet last fall and got into the whole Capsule wardrobe concept. Honestly though, I don't think I can ever feel content limitatig myself to 30 items (I know it's not an absolute number, but just as an example).

My whole winter capsule wardrobe was built according to this concept, with a limited color palette and many neutral basics and a few color accents, where everything goes with everything. While it definitely made dressing up in the morning SUPER EASY (uniform approach), by the end of March I was really bored with my entire wardrobe. Wearing the same clothes over and over again felt redundant, like I was trapped in my lack of options. Especially in Spring, I felt like wearing brighter colors, but failed to find any in my wardrobe because they ''didn't fit'' the color palette.  Conclusion: I need to make adjustments and allow myself some exceptions for pieces that I love, that are good quality and that I can wear often, but don't necessarily match with everything I own.

Another difficulty besides living in Canada and having 3 distinct season capsules (winter, summer and ''in-between'' pieces), is that I also need a professional capsule vs. a casual one/housedress. I won't wear short shorts in the office, but enjoy wearing them on weekends in summer. Same for anything with a cleavage : absolute no for the office, totally fine in other settings. Office is not jeans-friendly, I like to wear jeans at home. etc.

Overall, it's still a work in progress!

I feel that we northern residents with extreme climates need more like 30 summer and 30 winter pieces. Or maybe 20 or 25 for each. I'm probably around 50 not counting socks/undergarments, which I don't think were counted in the 30. I have to count again.
What I did do this year though is hide my winter only stuff so my clothes feel less cluttered. And I'll reverse that of course.

And of course it's easier too if you can wear the same clothes at home and work or are retired. I've been trying to dress a bit less slovenly at home too, so that I reduce the number of really old T-shirts I have. I've reminded myself that there's nothing wrong with wearing good T-shirts at home and just replacing them when needed.

Cookie

« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »
I'm very happy with my winter/fall clothes, save maybe a new crew neck sweater. However my spring/summer clothes are seriously lacking! I only have clothes for when it's super hot, so this past week of rain I've been wearing fall colors (like maroon) which is annoying. Especially since I want a break from those clothes.

It's not the end of the world, but I'd like to get some spring color shirts and maybe a cotton dress that's a solid color. I love dark colors, but I feel silly wearing them all summer.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »

I started decluttering my closet last fall and got into the whole Capsule wardrobe concept. Honestly though, I don't think I can ever feel content limiting myself to 30 items (I know it's not an absolute number, but just as an example).

I don't think I could do only 30 items either - and I think a lot of people who blog about it (at least so far that I've seen) do a bunch of capsules for seasons/purpose/etc. that end up being a lot more than 30 items. I'm really focused only on my work clothing - my casual clothing is actually much less of a problem (only a couple pairs of jeans).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »
I get the sense that many of the capsule wardrobes I love the most are from creative freelancer types--designers or something along those lines who don't work in an office. They also (many of them) seem to live in CA, which is maybe no coincidence: less extreme weather, more of a casual vibe in general. NYC has both dressier norms and more extreme weather though I'm sure people . A lot of my clothes aren't professional per se but I do have work dresses/blazers that I use at conferences and which are separate from my more personal style. I also think the capsule appeals more to people who like simplicity and neutrality in their clothes though I know there are some exceptions. I love the concept, I just think I would miss the choice and variety of my current options (not that they can't stand always to get further pared down).

Cookie

« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »
I get the sense that many of the capsule wardrobes I love the most are from creative freelancer types--designers or something along those lines who don't work in an office. They also (many of them) seem to live in CA, which is maybe no coincidence: less extreme weather, more of a casual vibe in general. NYC has both dressier norms and more extreme weather though I'm sure people . A lot of my clothes aren't professional per se but I do have work dresses/blazers that I use at conferences and which are separate from my more personal style. I also think the capsule appeals more to people who like simplicity and neutrality in their clothes though I know there are some exceptions. I love the concept, I just think I would miss the choice and variety of my current options (not that they can't stand always to get further pared down).

For me I never thought id have a capsule wardrobe. I have always loved clothes, so never thought I could live with that much. Last summer I got rid of 60% of my wardrobe and am finding that I can get rid of even more. I think you have to peel back the layers, so to speak, to find the capsule wardrobe for you. I love my outfits much more than I did before, because I only kept what I love the most and wear most often.  I live in a place of extreme weather and it works well, but if I worked in an office I would have two capsule wardrobes.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
Definitely agree with all that's been said. Whenever I look up for winter capsule wardrobe ideas  on Google, I shake my head because all I see are CA ladies wearing  tights and a light denim jacket. It's a process that requires major adaptations for those who live where there are extreme weather variations. It also makes sense to create multiple capsules to reflect your lifestyle (office, home, ''date night'', outdoor activities).

I also store other seasons' clothes in a box. Not only does it declutter my wardrobe, it also makes me forget what I own after 4-6 months. Whenever it's time to switch season wardrobes, I'm all excited to ''discover'' what's in the box. The feeling of novelty is similar to the one I feel when I purchase a new item that I love, except I didn't have to spend a dime. It's great!

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
MsPeacock, I love the pink!

If you're truly looking for a suit to swim laps in, then I would opt for a Speedo Endurance suit.  I wore one for two workouts/day for 6 months.  However, I wouldn't want to wear one to the beach.

I broke my no buy and ordered a speedo long torso. Hopefully it fits. I swear I have an extra vertebrae or something. I am not that tall but one pieces suits always pinch.

Woah, wait. Speedo makes long torso suits? ee! [opening website]

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
How does one get their colors done?

Ms. Peacock, try to find the book Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson at the library.  It's a pretty user-friendly approach to figuring out what your colors are. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
I've never really been good at picking colors for myself - can you guys give me some feedback on what colors work and what doesn't? I took a bunch of pictures of stuff from my closet:

http://imgur.com/a/s4UYE

Can you tell what season I am and what other colors would suit me?

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
I've never really been good at picking colors for myself - can you guys give me some feedback on what colors work and what doesn't? I took a bunch of pictures of stuff from my closet:

You appear to have cool, soft coloring, so you look like a summer to me:

http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/summer/

That link just gives you a little overview of summer; beyond that it's a kind of annoying shopping site.  But a quick search turned up this Pinterest page that might be helpful:

https://www.pinterest.com/andrea409/color-me-beautiful-summer/

I think you look especially good in all of the shades of blue that you wore.  Here are some other ideas from that same Pinterest page:

"Basic colors for Soft summer: Sky Blue, Lt Periwinkle Blue, Muted Turquoise, Turquoise, Pastel Blue Green, Jade Green, Burgundy, Soft Fuchsia, Mauve, Orchid, Rose Pink, Muted Pink, Muted Apricot, Rose Brown, Dark Taupe, Olive Green"

Having said all that, it's hard to be sure about colors on the screen.  If your coloring is actually warmer than it appears to me, then you're a spring:

http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/spring/index.html

and

https://www.pinterest.com/brittwhitradhun/color-me-beautiful-spring/

Similar colors, just in warmer tones. 

Hope that helps!

nzmamma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »

The blues & purples were my favs. Great idea :-)

lise

« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »

I'm terrible in advising on colors since I think anything goes! 
But I will say you look much better in the cowl/v necks than high necks and the button down.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »

The only colors that really struck me as 'not suiting' were the royal purple and the black(?maybe dark brown?). Which isn't to say you look bad, it just wasn't as flattering as the other colors. Those two made you look 'tired' in a way I can't really explain. This would be in keeping with the other poster who said either summer or spring... Depends on how much gold tone there is to your skin really, which is very hard to determine 1- via web and 2- in artificial light.

I agree though, the lower and cowel necklines were very flattering on you.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I'll be needing some new clothes within the next year, so I think I'll be sticking with the lower necklines, cowl necks, and blues. It definitely seems like I'm a summer person, which is great because I love those colors.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2015, 07:21:58 AM »
I was keeping some other clothes in a drawer in case I "needed" them but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and let them go out of the house. I have two winter coats but I don't like either of them so I'm keeping one just in case we are struck by a seriously bad winter but I want to replace it with one I truly like. I've a few months to find one as it's summer here.:P

Today I'm wearing a teal top, one of my black pencil skirts and sandals with a heart shaped pendant necklace.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
I just went through one of the "color" websites, and it looks like I accidentally stumbled on a palette of colors that match my color type.  I'm a "clear winter", and my wardrobe is about 3/4 colors from that category.

It wasn't always that way, but when I simplified my color choices a few years back I must have gotten lucky!  Well that and I kept things in colors that I got the most compliments about.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Zikoris, the coral zip up and bright blue blouse look way too big for you!!  The black also looks huge.  Out of the colors I don't love the animal print.  Everything else looked nice.  B

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #272 on: June 21, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Zikoris, the coral zip up and bright blue blouse look way too big for you!!  The black also looks huge.  Out of the colors I don't love the animal print.  Everything else looked nice.  B

I don't wear the big ones done up - I just did them that way to show the colours better. I leave them completely open with a shell or tank top underneath. The dark brown shirt is snug around the waist and sort of loose and floppy elsewhere - it's the style.

The consensus seems to be to get rid of the animal print shirt - good riddance! It hasn't fit me very well since I lost about 10 pounds, and it's getting pretty worn out.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
I came to this thread late, but I just had to pop in and share my path to a sort of "capsule" wardrobe.

See, I had bought a big set of work clothes all at once when I started my first job out of school.  10 years later, I was still wearing many of those shirts and pants.  This was fine for a staff engineer, but when I became a professor I needed something different.  More blazers and jackets.  Less monotonous.  More stylish and edgy.

The first blazer I got was a lovely navy blue cashmere one.  I wore it so often that I decided to build my new work wardrobe around it: I would buy nothing that wouldn't match this blazer.  Eventually I ended up getting some dresses whose shapes don't quite line up with the blazer, but the colors are still in the right group.

I made a Google spreadsheet of which items I needed and how many, with comments to list the colors I planned.  I color-coded the spreadsheet to show how urgently I needed to acquire each thing.  Here it is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_IEOBRFrz8AKjQ_fLbsXVXCxOjC1ng7ecArT2Gz1Chg/edit?usp=sharing

I also made a Pinterest board to keep track of how things look together and make sure it all matches:
https://www.pinterest.com/kkerbypatel/strategic-wardrobe-planning/

This capsule thing is actually working pretty well for me. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2015, 04:36:11 AM »

The only colors that really struck me as 'not suiting' were the royal purple and the black(?maybe dark brown?). Which isn't to say you look bad, it just wasn't as flattering as the other colors. Those two made you look 'tired' in a way I can't really explain. This would be in keeping with the other poster who said either summer or spring... Depends on how much gold tone there is to your skin really, which is very hard to determine 1- via web and 2- in artificial light.

I agree though, the lower and cowel necklines were very flattering on you.

As I understand it the way to determine whether you are warm or cool toned is to look at the veins on the back of your wrist. If they appear blue, you are cool, if they appear more green you are warm (I think that's the gold Bracken Joy is talking of).

I am decidedly blue and a winter. I don't know if that helps or confuses you more, but thought I would chime in.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:56 AM »
Extremely standard today.. tan pants (old, these I like to have pressed at the cleaners but can wear 3 times or so before they have to go - super comfortable), white shirt, white sweater. It is 100 outside today but cold in the office.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
I'm experimenting with accessories to give some variety to my capsule wardrobe. My first today was to add a belt to my top. This is the first time ever I'm wearing a belt and I should say the result is good. I feel more chic than dowdy :)
Go capsule wardrobe and decluttering!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2015, 06:00:50 AM »
Today: tan pants (same as yesterday), orange/pink shirt that has survived the purge because the color is good on me. I have a grey sweater to put on should I need it. It is going to be 100 today + heat index - so I think the a/c at work might actually not keep up.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
Bagged up 18 things for Twice today but most of them I just lifted from my parent's house.

Also decided to pull out all my black short sleeved tops since I just acquired a few via the clothing swap/my mom, and oh my god I have so many, yet rarely wear them. I've been talking about all the monochromatic looks I've been jealous of lately, so maybe this is a sign. I think I'm keeping them all for now (my tshirt drawer has the room), but I know it's more than I need!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
Next Tuesday my best friend and I have a "date" to declutter our closets.  I will bring all of the things from mine that I don't want to her house and we will go through both of our stuff together.

Bonus is we are about the same size, so a good deal of trading will occur.  At the end of the day anything left over will go to charity or consignment.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »
I decided to organise all my tops by colour instead of type (previously it was jackets - jumpers (in the British sense) - long sleeve - short sleeve - tank. I thought that made it easier to chose a weather-appropriate item.

But with fewer things in the wardrobe I know what I have, so by colour is fine, and IT LOOKS SO PRETTY! I am embarrassed by how excited this made me (and how much thought I put into deciding whether to do the same with my dresses, because, hey, if I don't like it... I can just switch it back).

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »
theadvicist, I've done the same color coding before and felt unjustifiably satisfied with myself. In college, my floor may have been covered in paper and cast off clothing, but by gum did my closet look pretty!

In other news, I put on a grey dress this morning (in my pictures from way back) and it felt a little itchy. Even though it looks good, I've lost my patience with even slightly uncomfortable clothing. It's getting sold.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
I have all my tops organized by color too - I think it helps me find stuff more quickly. I am still eyeing paring down some more items, but haven't made much progress. I think it may take a change in seasons to get me moving a bit on that.

Donation pick-up is coming on Friday morning - I have some household things to go, and should do another scrub of the closet to see if I have even one or two more things that I could toss in.

Thank you everyone for all the posts and photos and comments - nice to see this thread rolling along.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
In a measure of how neurotic I can be, I have had a color-coded closet since I was 15 years old. Although I organize by type and THEN by color- ie, all long sleeves and sweaters are together and organized by color, then short sleeves, then tanks. Being able to do this probably indicates I have too many tops- work in progress.

I am making no progress on a capsule, mainly because my life is so uncertain right now. Also because much of my clothing is getting pretty worn down and needs replacing, and I can't justify the expense until we're settled in a new place and I start working. I am doing better at wearing the dresses I own though. Yay one step outfits.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
I organise my wardrobe by colour too.:) My wardrobe is very cobalt/true blue heavy at the moment but I like it that way.

I am wearing my pink cardigan, mauve vest and long purple and black skirt today.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »
I too organize by type--long sleeved shirts, short sleeved, blazers, cardigans, dresses, pants, skirts.  And within each category they are by color.

My wardrobe is still giant, but less so.  And already I'm finding it easier to figure out what to wear, and I'm wearing pieces I really like but that were forgotten and shoved in a corner.  I'm actually wearing more different pieces now than I was when I have probably 20% more items.

And I had to pack for a 12 day trip and it was so much easier.  I'm not at capsule level yet, but I'm getting closer.  Which meant it was pretty easy to come up with pants, a skirt, tops of varying warmth and which can be layered in various ways, shoes, and scarves that are all or nearly all interchangeable, with almost no effort. 

Which just reaffirms the plan to narrow my color palette. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2015, 07:09:48 AM »
I'm wearing a black pencil skirt with a sleeveless dark blue top and sandals today. I like this top because it has lacy detail at the front so it makes it look a bit more dressy.

It's so warm today which is unusual for the UK. It's going to be hotter later in the week so I will just be wearing my other knee length skirt with a vest top and I'm at home so maybe bare feet.:P

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
Skipped a few days posting since I was on repeats. This is very standard - all old clothing (pre-purge) that met the requirements to remain in the closet.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
I've been cheating on my capsule. I wore an unflattering tank from the clothing swap because of heat and laziness, but I decided I will donate it. I donated a bunch of other clothes this week, including a swap dress that I had been kidding myself into keeping. I want to get down to under 50 items total by the end of the year.

I have been finding a few additional thing to donate too. I think as the quality of my wardrobe  went up on average (due to purging) my tolerance for near misses has gone down.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
In a measure of how neurotic I can be, I have had a color-coded closet since I was 15 years old. Although I organize by type and THEN by color- ie, all long sleeves and sweaters are together and organized by color, then short sleeves, then tanks.

^That's how I organize as well. Especially helpful when trying to decide between 4 different purple blouses. (They're different styles and shades, I swear!)

Joining late but have just read this whole thread and enjoyed it immensely. SO much of what you all have said has resonated with me. I've been working on this as well for the past few months, and along the way I've learned oodles about color theory, figured out which colors, styles, and contrasts work best for me, ditched nearly everything black (as someone mentioned, almost heresy around NYC), and purged a ton of unused, unloved, loved-but-unflattering, not-me/wishful-thinking/another-life clothing. On my first massive purge a couple months ago, I sent 83 items to consignment plus untold items to donation (so maybe 130-150 total). Yesterday I packed up another 15 items for consignment (including a dress that sparks a ton of joy on the hanger but makes me feel like a poseur while wearing). All this from someone who doesn't even like clothing.

I'd actually done a purge months before that massive purge, but because I hadn't had a plan in mind, it was not terribly productive. What helped me the second time was to work things out on paper first, especially when it came to narrowing down color options. A lot of capsules suggest 4 colors (2 neutrals, 2 accents), but I just couldn't make it work. I didn't want the whole rainbow, but human cannot live on purples alone. So I worked at it by trying everything on, noting what colors and color groups worked best (and may have been complimented in the past), and playing with color combinations (on paper and thrown together on the bed) until I found the right combo and number. I also gave myself a pass on a small handful of outliers/outlying but still complementary colors so I can't get possibly get bored.

My results:
Uniform: jeans/slacks + tee/blouse + blazer/cardigan
Personal coloring: soft summer
Clothing neutrals: grey and navy
Clothing accents: red-purples/eggplant/wine, blue-purples/violet, teal green, teal blue/peacock blue/dark turquoise/petrol blue
Acceptable outliers: 1 dark cobaltish blue sweater, 1 burgundy t-shirt, 1 burgundy tank top, 1 taupe sweater, 1 heathered taupe t-shirt, 1 damask-pattern purple/black dress
Value contrast: Medium/low
Other color properties: Dusky and/or muted = good, bright, clear, and/or icy = bad; medium shades = good, too dark or light = bad
Patterns: Mostly avoided; must be minimal/subtle

The patterns that work best for me are subtle, like tone-on-tone pinstripes or tiny polka dots. The one exception here is that dress mentioned above, which is a bit brighter and more patterny than I would prefer, but it's my one formal outfit and I absolutely love the thing so I just go with it. I work much better with texture, though, so while obvious stripes look jarring on me, ribbed textures work great.

It's still a work in progress (who isn't?), but like many others have said, the process has been quite freeing. Figuring out what does and doesn't work for me and coming up with a plan to keep emphasizing the first and eliminating the second has been one of the best things I've done for myself, both for my mental and my financial health.

Thanks for this thread, MsPeacock. And btw, I especially loved that blue and white horizontal striped shirt from a few pages back on you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:25:39 PM by ShaneD »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2015, 04:00:07 AM »
So even though I've been purging since January, I got rid about 30 more items of clothing this weekend! I don't know where it's all coming from, I would have told you I didn't have that much left.

I just read Marie Kondo's book, and it has given me immense clarity. Before I was justifying things with, "Well, it's useful, I can wear it with lots of other things", or, "I don't like much but I do wear it, so I should keep it”.

I went with simply, do I love it? And I was surprised by both how many items I wear a lot I dislike, and how many things I own I truly love, and want to WEAR OUT, instead of saving for ‘best’. The problem with saving things because I love them is that I go off them or they go out of style before they’re worn out. I have one pair of shoes like that in particular I’m keeping in mind. The stuff I love I now want to wear to the point of fraying or breaking, and know that I squeezed every ounce of joy out of it.

And it does feel totally different to look at far fewer items, all of which I adore. Can’t recommend the book highly enough (I’m sounding like a broken record, I know).

Also I folded everything (including underwear!) and arranged it all dark - light as she said, even though I thought it was pointless. So far, I'm loving it, but we'll see if I stick with it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
So even though I've been purging since January, I got rid about 30 more items of clothing this weekend! I don't know where it's all coming from, I would have told you I didn't have that much left.

I just read Marie Kondo's book, and it has given me immense clarity. Before I was justifying things with, "Well, it's useful, I can wear it with lots of other things", or, "I don't like much but I do wear it, so I should keep it”.

I went with simply, do I love it? And I was surprised by both how many items I wear a lot I dislike, and how many things I own I truly love, and want to WEAR OUT, instead of saving for ‘best’. The problem with saving things because I love them is that I go off them or they go out of style before they’re worn out. I have one pair of shoes like that in particular I’m keeping in mind. The stuff I love I now want to wear to the point of fraying or breaking, and know that I squeezed every ounce of joy out of it.

And it does feel totally different to look at far fewer items, all of which I adore. Can’t recommend the book highly enough (I’m sounding like a broken record, I know).

Also I folded everything (including underwear!) and arranged it all dark - light as she said, even though I thought it was pointless. So far, I'm loving it, but we'll see if I stick with it.

I just read her book this weekend too! I folded by dresser contents the way she recommends - so nice to see everything and it is causing me to reevaluate some of the things I've kept so far.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

I just read her book this weekend too! I folded by dresser contents the way she recommends - so nice to see everything and it is causing me to reevaluate some of the things I've kept so far.

Both my DD and I read the book and we "Konmaried" her closet, dresser and the rest of her room last weekend.  She got rid of a huge pile of clothes and some other miscellaneous items.  Her closet and dresser are looking great.

I find that folding the recommended way uses a lot less drawer space.  I've had my dresser drawers organized that way for a few weeks now and love it.  It takes no effort at all to keep it up and I love seeing everything at a glance.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »
Ha, no wonder we keep bumping into each other in the decluttering threads, MsPeacock!

I must admit I'm still hanging all my tops. I have the space and I find they wrinkle less. But everything in my dresser is folded and arranged in colour order her way. I did a couple of loads of laundry over the weekend and still took time to fold/roll my tights, but I'm not sure if it's a long term thing yet.

ZiziPB I was surprised too at how much less space folded/rolled things take. I'd always rolled stuff for suitcase packing, but it didn't occur to me to do it the rest of the time.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
Ugh, fine, FINE, I'll read the dang book!

Just as soon as 1,019 people are done with it first.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2015, 02:42:12 PM »
Ugh, fine, FINE, I'll read the dang book!

Just as soon as 1,019 people are done with it first.

I was number 224 or something on the library wait list - and then walked in and found 2 copies on the shelf. I guess someone didn't pick up their copies on hold??? I have no idea - but I snagged it. It is a quick read.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
The library has a hundred copies, so it's not as bad as it seems. I'm also doing pretty well on my own, and I have a million and one business books to read, so I may wait it out. If I get impatient, I'll sneak over to a Barnes and Noble and read it on a lunch break.

One thing I can guarantee: I will not fold my clothes! She can't make me! Also, I don't have a dresser.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »
The library has a hundred copies, so it's not as bad as it seems. I'm also doing pretty well on my own, and I have a million and one business books to read, so I may wait it out. If I get impatient, I'll sneak over to a Barnes and Noble and read it on a lunch break.

One thing I can guarantee: I will not fold my clothes! She can't make me! Also, I don't have a dresser.

She might make you fold your clothes... I am going to post pictures of my drawers now. They look so lovely!!!!!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »
When I was working f.t. outside the house I bought 5 pairs of solid color dress pants & then an assorted amount of tops/sweaters that went with them.  I could wear the pants year round & tops were by season. It sure made it easy to get dressed in the am.  I have a habit of not wanting to wear anything nice in the house but then need to change if I go out. Decided this was silly as I would never wear out the nicer stuff so got rid of the junky stuff.  I have a huge closet so hang my tops. I loved her book & it helped. I got rid of a ton of clothes. It was amazing that I had a bunch of stuff that didn't fit right or feel good when I wore it.  Much happier with a smaller wardrobe.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »

Haha, I didn't fold my clothes either, but I folded my underwear and socks and they do look so pretty. I have a large walk in closet so everything else I own is on hangers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!