Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211404 times)

asiljoy

• Bristles
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »
Commenting to follow

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
Yes!  Please keep posting photos.  I keep meaning to comment as I read all the posts and really enjoy the photos.  I love your classic style.

I am not sure how old you are (maybe you said) but I think you have nailed the look for most women (not too young and trendy and not too old and frumpy).

My favourite outfit to date is the second last one with the blue top and the blue ballet flats, it looks great.

I keep wondering who takes the photos?
Thank you! I will keep it up w/ the photos then for the time being.

I just prop my phone against a tissue box and use the timer on it to take the photos (with the camera reversed so I can see the screen and know I am positioned right).

I am closer to 50 than I am to 40. ;)   I have transitioned from high heels and more complicated (?) outfits to flats and elastic waist/stretchy clothing because I have started having pretty significant joint problems. I do feel a bit frumpy (comparative to my wardrobe 5 or 10 years ago) - so thank you for saying I'm hitting the mark pretty well being in a happy middle ground.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Popping back in to add that it would welcome if anyone else feels comfortable posting pictures - even if it is just the outfits hung up or laid out or whatever.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
MsPeacock, I like that you do upload the photos....let me see if I can figure it out. Though I don't yet have a capsule, maybe it would nudge me that way. (For now I like keeping more once in a while pieces).

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49:42 AM »
Same blue pants, old shirt from Kohl's Vera Wang, and new blue cardigan purchased as part of the ongoing uniform project.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
Just wanted to chime in and say that I love your photos and would love for you to keep posting them.

I posted my wardrobe in the other thread that I linked earlier, and I'd post my daily outfits, except that I don't work out of the house over the summer and considering I haven't left the house in 3 days (other than in the yard) they'd all consist of black yoga pants and a t-shirt.

I wear the stuff in my wardrobe anytime I leave the house for an occasional work-type meeting, to go to the store, or have something social.   But, it would probably be slightly different choices if I were working FT (like my fall wardrobe will be).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »
Same blue pants, old shirt from Kohl's Vera Wang, and new blue cardigan purchased as part of the ongoing uniform project.

MsPeacock, your outfit today is very similar to what I consider my uniform look.  Just some very minor differences in the fit (I prefer longer cardigans and more fitted/shorter pants).  I like it a lot.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
I'm voting for you to keep updating us, too!

I've been lurking in this thread, but I've recently *had* to buy quite a few new items of clothing and took the opportunity to try to create a bit of a uniform for myself. I'm loving it! Workdays I wear a fitted, knee-length shift dress with a cardigan and flats, weekends I wear flowy, stretchy (comfy!) knee-length dresses with cardigans and flats :-)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2015, 04:04:33 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this before but there are meant to be four universally flattering colours, eggplant purple, teal, true red and rose. I have bought tops in these colours.

Yesterday I wore my knee length black skirt with sandals and a purple and black striped top. Today it is the same bottom but with a teal fitted t-shirt. :)

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:51 AM »
I sign up for the email specials at places i shop a lot at.  I'll wait until they'll have a 20, 30 or even 40-50% off certain items, usually planned ahead of time.  I wear a lot of jeans, so when they come on sale i stock up, and i'm good for months then.  I needed dress pants, waited and caught them on sale.  I only need one pair but i have lots of different tops to go with them.  If you keep the pants/skirts selection simpler, its easy to spice it up with different tops.  Black pants can go with a ton of different outfits

A trick i heard was to take ALL your hangers and reverse them on your clothes bar so they hook in backwards.  If after 4 or 6 or 8 months some are still reversed on your hangers, it means you have not worn it once in that time.  Probably time for it to go out the door then.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2015, 05:32:05 AM »
What items did you use to love that you've now parted ways with?

I wore a green-and-purple (with cream) leaf-patterned skirt into the GROUND. It was pretty much unwearable by the time I finally threw it out. I own a great deal of green and purple (tops, jackets, jewelry), so it was actually an invaluable multi-use item of clothing, and on those rare occasions when I'm in a clothing store, I always poke around to see if there's something that might serve as a replacement.

In terms of things I actively gave up despite loving them in the past ... hmm. A few jackets; boiled-wool jackets always call out to me and I love them, but they just don't fit well in my wardrobe unless they're fancy enough to replace a suit jacket at work, which is rare. I donated a bunch this year, and have promised myself not to buy any more, much as I love them in theory.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
I still have a massively large wardrobe, but after some significant purging, I can better see everything that is left, and I am again aware of some pieces that had gotten forgotten.  I'm finding getting dressed to be much easier.

My next step is to get rid of pieces that I really like (and even wear) but that don't really go with my personal style.  There are the kind of things I buy because I see them and think how elegant and regal they are.  Except I am not elegant and regal, and almost nothing in my wardrobe is elegant and regal.  I think my test will be, "If someone see this, would they think, 'that looks like something Villanelle would wear?'"   If the answer is "no", it needs to go.  That's also a test for future shopping.  Something I shop as though I'm playing dress up, and I end up with one item that I could wear to tea with the queen, the next to a punk rock show, and a third to a hippy love-in.  All great pieces.  But sticking more to one style will cut down on number of pieces, and also make it so everything is more mix and match, with fewer closet orphans. 

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
There are the kind of things I buy because I see them and think how elegant and regal they are.  Except I am not elegant and regal, and almost nothing in my wardrobe is elegant and regal. 

Yep, this is me. I wish I would've found this thread a week ago. I have so much stuff like this and it all gets pushed to the side.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Something I shop as though I'm playing dress up, and I end up with one item that I could wear to tea with the queen, the next to a punk rock show, and a third to a hippy love-in.  All great pieces.  But sticking more to one style will cut down on number of pieces, and also make it so everything is more mix and match, with fewer closet orphans.

I still keep some outlier items, but I used to have way more of the above than I do currently. Like 'this is my dress for if I need to go to a Germanic themed event in the summer'. I did use that one in germany and also for the world cup, but still. Hyper specific.

Things I'm still holding onto: the holiday vest for thanksgiving that I wear maybe three times a year, the theme shirt for a friend's family's annual thanksgiving (which I wear when I go back), the vests I use at christmas, the Mets shirt I wear once a year at a Mets game. I still have some work to do in this area though some pieces do give me joy (specifically holiday outfits). Others are relics of the past (pink sequined shirt, I'm looking at you).

Part of my issue with buying clothes was that I just became so enamored of them. I still feel this way about much of what's in my closet. Other stuff is still lurking 'just because'/'in case'.

lise

« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
I'm mainly uniform for work.  I'm not game to go fully capsule as there are times when you want situation appropriate clothing.
Examples are  the following that I'm holding on to because I would rather have it when needed, than have to shop for a new item:

1. formal dresses - I have 4 but only need 1 in my wardrobe but I can't decide which 1 one to get rid of.
2. suit jacket - only worn once this year, but it's good to have one on hand.
3. skimpy summer dresses only suitable for the beach (14 times a year?) - I have 3 of these, probably only need 2.
4. @norabird - I too have a Met's tshirt that I wear 4 times a year!

I like the uniform for work as it has definitely saved me money ... and time (less thinking in the morning about what to wear!).

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
I just did my first capsule wardrobe! I followed the instructions from here:
http://www.un-fancy.com/capsule-wardrobe-101/how-to-build-a-capsule-wardrobe/

I exempted my formal gowns from the capsule as they are rarely worn, but I do need them because we go on a free cruise once a year, which requires formal attire. They can hang in the back of the closet where they won't bother anyone.

I really love the idea of it, and it makes me absolutely not want to go shopping at all, which is great.

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this before but there are meant to be four universally flattering colours, eggplant purple, teal, true red and rose. I have bought tops in these colours.

Yesterday I wore my knee length black skirt with sandals and a purple and black striped top. Today it is the same bottom but with a teal fitted t-shirt. :)

I like these colors, so I will have to remember this -I have no understanding of what colors look good on me, which is why my wardrobe is mostly black & gray.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »

This is really interesting, I hadn't heard/read it before, but the inclusion of true red makes me wonder.  True red is on my don't-even-think-about-it list, along with all true (or pure or clear) colours.  Most flattering for me are dusty or muddied or burnt colours, at least around my face.  Eggplant & teal are definitely favourites though and I find rose (and dusty coral) is particularly flattering in the summer when most other colours seem to accentuate my pastiness. 

Edited for extra words
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:10:55 PM by smilla »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2015, 03:19:54 AM »
^I'm not so keen on the rose shade but I bought a vest top in that colour. I looked on Pinterest and they have pictures of four very different looking women (different colourings and hair) wearing the four colours and they did seem to suit all of them.:)

http://www.lovelyish.com/2008/11/13/the-4-most-universally-flattering-colors-for-clothing/

Today I'm wearing my black knee length dress, my bright pink cardigan and my usual sandals with a blue and silver statement necklace.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:22:19 AM by Londoner38 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
I've been following and had to jump in here ;-)

I always had trouble finding clothes that flattered until I had my colours done - I am a Spring and my mother was a Winter, so no wonder the clothes she bought when I was a child looked so bad - well, really I looked unhealthy in them.  No black, ever, I look like the guest of honour at a funeral.  Navy and most greys, the same.  It does limit the choices, but at least things I buy do look good on me.

My basic colour (pants, skirts, shoes) is chocolate to dark brown in winter and tan/beige in summer, with tops for colour.  I have nice tops in eggplant (didn't know that was the name for that purple) and the Indian Teal is my best winter colour, to the point that I get teased about it.  Paler in summer.  The true red and mellow rose, nope, I need more orange for both of those.  I wouldn't look awful in them, just not great.

It is interesting to see what colour can do to an outfit, the fabric, style, everything can be wonderful, but if the colour is not flattering - forget it.

^I'm not so keen on the rose shade but I bought a vest top in that colour. I looked on Pinterest and they have pictures of four very different looking women (different colourings and hair) wearing the four colours and they did seem to suit all of them.:)

http://www.lovelyish.com/2008/11/13/the-4-most-universally-flattering-colors-for-clothing/

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
I've been following and had to jump in here ;-)

I always had trouble finding clothes that flattered until I had my colours done - I am a Spring and my mother was a Winter, so no wonder the clothes she bought when I was a child looked so bad - well, really I looked unhealthy in them.  No black, ever, I look like the guest of honour at a funeral.  Navy and most greys, the same.  It does limit the choices, but at least things I buy do look good on me.

My basic colour (pants, skirts, shoes) is chocolate to dark brown in winter and tan/beige in summer, with tops for colour.  I have nice tops in eggplant (didn't know that was the name for that purple) and the Indian Teal is my best winter colour, to the point that I get teased about it.  Paler in summer.  The true red and mellow rose, nope, I need more orange for both of those.  I wouldn't look awful in them, just not great.

It is interesting to see what colour can do to an outfit, the fabric, style, everything can be wonderful, but if the colour is not flattering - forget it.

I agree. :)

It was a bit of a challenge for me with making a capsule wardrobe as I'm very pale with blue grey eyes but since I've been a teenager I have always coloured my hair either blonde or a very dark brown and I've only had my natural hair colour for the last three or so years. It's reddish light brown naturally and so I wasn't sure if the colours I wore before would still suit me.

I think I made some mistakes buying the wrong colour clothing for a while but I'm starting to get the hang of it.:)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »
How does one get their colors done?

I'm not sure about the universal colors - eggplant makes me look corpse-like.

Navy is best on me, black often is bad, grey is iffy, and tan is challenging (although I continue to wear black, tan, and grey because they are universally *useful* wardrobe colors). I know i look good in pink, light green, light blue, etc. Terrible in orange - orange might be worse on me than anything. I also look bad in "heathered" colors - and they seem to represent almost all the clothes available for fall/winter - which means I have lots of great summer sweaters and few winter sweaters.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
 I paid to get my colors "done" at a local boutique that offered the service.   That was over 10 years ago, but I think it was worth the money at the time, about $125.   I really helped me focus and stop wasting money.  They also helped me figure out my overall style which further helped me not make mistakes.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
Another day - more Lands End pants, blouse (old), and cardigan (new, Lands End, purchased for uniform purchases).

I've tried a couple weeks of wearing the same pants for 4 days - I feel too grungy. Will try a 2 day cycle now and see how that goes. I have enough pants that I don't need to wear any of them for 4 days. All the pants are machine washable, so it isn't such an issue to get several wearings out of them before they have to go to the dry cleaners.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
I'm wearing a knee length patterned dress with some black exercise shorts underneath with sandals and no jewelry. Not my best look but I couldn't be bothered this morning.:P

I need to get a more dressy pair of shorts or short leggings to wear underneath some of my dresses as I have to go out in the garden with my dogs and sometimes I worry my dress will blow up if it's windy weather.

I'm not too keen on the dress either so that might be the latest thing to purge and replace with something I like to wear. Through doing this minimalist thing with my clothes I've realised I'm not that fond of patterned or printed clothing.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »

Navy is best on me, black often is bad, grey is iffy, and tan is challenging (although I continue to wear black, tan, and grey because they are universally *useful* wardrobe colors). I know i look good in pink, light green, light blue, etc. Terrible in orange - orange might be worse on me than anything. I also look bad in "heathered" colors - and they seem to represent almost all the clothes available for fall/winter - which means I have lots of great summer sweaters and few winter sweaters.

I think the biggest thing is to check out whether you are warm or cool toned. Google it to see if you think you look better in crisp white or an ivory color. There are a TON of articles out there to figure out. I am cool, so I have weeding through my wardrobe looking for the cool colors. Whatever the color, red, purple, blue, etc.....if the tone of the color is cooler (for me) my skin, eyes, hair look stunning. If I put on a warm shade of red, purple, blue, etc (wearing the EXACT same makeup/hair style) then I look drabby, worn out, terrible (all in my opinion). Even for my daughter and son, I steer towards their shades.

The best example is if you have  cool shade of pink and a warm shade of pink, depending on your undertone, you will look awesome in one shade and less favorable in the other.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »

I think the biggest thing is to check out whether you are warm or cool toned. Google it to see if you think you look better in crisp white or an ivory color. There are a TON of articles out there to figure out. I am cool, so I have weeding through my wardrobe looking for the cool colors. Whatever the color, red, purple, blue, etc.....if the tone of the color is cooler (for me) my skin, eyes, hair look stunning. If I put on a warm shade of red, purple, blue, etc (wearing the EXACT same makeup/hair style) then I look drabby, worn out, terrible (all in my opinion). Even for my daughter and son, I steer towards their shades.

The best example is if you have  cool shade of pink and a warm shade of pink, depending on your undertone, you will look awesome in one shade and less favorable in the other.

One thing to note is that if you do any drastic changes to your hair color, your actual coloring may change significantly.  I experienced this when I stopped coloring my hair about 5 years ago.  I started my life as a blonde who got progressively darker as years went by.  In my 30s, I started getting warm blond highlights and for years, I wore this standard hair color (at least here in the NE, every woman in her 30s and 40s seems to have the same hair - light brown with golden highlights ;-).  With hazel eyes, my coloring was warm and I looked my best in various shades of orange, warm red, warm brown, black, etc with yellow gold jewelry.  That is all I had in my closet.  About 5 years ago I decided to stop coloring my hair and to go natural.  I am over 50% gray and the remaining hair is now a cool ashy brown, so all of sudden I went from warm to cool.  Brown, cream and beige are completely out.  Blue and light cool gray are in.  Black makes me look deathly and sad.  Yellow gold jewelry makes me look about 20 years older.  The only color that looked great on me before and still looks great is chartreuse - in-between yellow and green.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »
Missed a day w/ photo yesterday - too Monday or something.

Anyhow - today it is the real thing uniform - white shirt, sweater, pants (love these from HM - got a second pair because they are going to get a lot of use). They wash and dry really well and I love the style.

Working on getting my shoes down to 2 hanging organizers in my closet - including my flip flops and sneakers. I am maybe 5 pairs over right now. I tried to wear a pair of low heels (1.5") this week and it just killed me - so painful now that my knees and hips are shot. So I have some pretty shoes that I have been loathe to part with (and I got rid of many of them already) - just the favorites are holding on. Emptied one shelf of my bookshelf (unrelated to clothing, but related to minimizing in general).

I am enjoying hearing about everyone's progress and outfits.

Re: Colors. I am yellow-toned in my skin, at least according to Sephora. Most definitely not pink-toned. Does this relate to being "warm" or "cool" in terms of clothing colors? I am transitioning my hair from platinum to a neutral blonde about level 8 (about the color of Taylor Swift's hair).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2015, 08:03:19 AM »
Wore two things yesterday that I confirmed I want to get rid of. Just felt unflattering all day, and ran into two friends on the street of course!

I've been realizing how little black is in my wardrobe as I look around and see it increasingly becoming a default around me. Lots of black/black, black/grey, black/white pairings. I live in NY so people are sort of culturally assumed to wear a lot of black but I feel the minimalism in outfits is ramping up. I am not a minimalist and my closet is full of colors and to a lesser extent patterns. Also been seeing lots of solid colored jewel tone dresses. I don't want to buy more black/grey/white pieces or solid jewel tone dresses (no shopping challenge, plus they don't excite me), but maybe I'll try looking out for if they drop into my life. The very restrained palette just doesn't feel me, though. I was out at a bar last week where almost no one was wearing color (and I was wearing pink on pink! with sequins in the jacket!), and it just made me feel depressed to have so little of visual interest in the outfits around me. But my wardrobe is also a little schizo, since I have just picked up whatever catches my eye without a thought to cohesion, and tend to move through extremely different stages (all vintage dress! No, all plaid skirts!). I like having a variety of choices but am interested in eventually moving towards more of a simplified look.

A friend whose clothing *does* make me feel happy inside (she is so fashionable and mixes up some wonderful statement pieces) is moving and says she will have some clothing to get rid of, so looking forward to that.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
I don't think a minimalist closet means that you have to be w/o color. I like color - I don't like pattern! Black is not a good color on me, and gray and tan are iffy - so they are better for me as bottoms and stick to colored tops. I think the idea in general is to have a relatively small wardrobe w/ many things working together. That can be accomplished w/ color and patterns - just requires more skill (or at least, skills that I don't have).  I would get very bored w/ just a black/grey wardrobe.

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
I don't think a minimalist closet means that you have to be w/o color. I like color - I don't like pattern! Black is not a good color on me, and gray and tan are iffy - so they are better for me as bottoms and stick to colored tops. I think the idea in general is to have a relatively small wardrobe w/ many things working together. That can be accomplished w/ color and patterns - just requires more skill (or at least, skills that I don't have).  I would get very bored w/ just a black/grey wardrobe.

Same here!  Alot of the minimalist wardrobe blogs are all black, grey, white and tan but I know I look best in colour.  I wear alot of black on the bottom but like colour near my face.  I may have the same colouring and Ms. Peacock and I find all black can be harsh and have starting wear more navy (the only downside is it is impossible to match navy with navy, they are always a shade different.

I feel great in cobalt blue and is probably the number one "colour" in my closet now.  It looks great with black or white bottoms or jeans. 

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

You're right, although my wardrobe is very minimalist in terms of color - black, gray, blue and white. I can see getting tired of it at some point My bottoms are all black, gray or navy - I think most colors go with those three. I think I can get more colorful in my tops, and still keep it small and simple. I don't really need to buy clothes for awhile, so I'll wait on that.  There was a post in this thread about 4 colors that are universally flattering - all were colors I like, so I will look for those when it's time for me to buy more tops, because I've never understood which colors are right for me.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
I'm wearing my favourite outfit again today. Black pencil skirt, black vest and pink cardigan with a blue and silver statement necklace. I want to get a blue cardigan in the same style but every time I look for one they are sold out in the shade of blue I want!:P

Same here!  Alot of the minimalist wardrobe blogs are all black, grey, white and tan but I know I look best in colour.  I wear alot of black on the bottom but like colour near my face.  I may have the same colouring and Ms. Peacock and I find all black can be harsh and have starting wear more navy (the only downside is it is impossible to match navy with navy, they are always a shade different.

I feel great in cobalt blue and is probably the number one "colour" in my closet now.  It looks great with black or white bottoms or jeans.

I love that colour too. I have a floaty blouse in that colour but I want to get a couple of other tops in that colour.

Cookie

« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2015, 02:56:58 AM »
This is a goal I've been working on for about a year now. I had WAY to many clothes and am adopting the minimalist mindset. Last summer I got rid of about 200 clothing pieces! Right now my "uniform" is tshirts and jeans and it will stay that way for the next two years.

I had thought I had found the perfect tshirt last year and bought them in several colors, but I already have to replace some because they are thin so they get holes easily (thanks cats). I am managing right now, but in the next few months I will need one or two more. I am planning on getting some linen ones from j. crew. I hear linen is great at temperature control so it will be perfect for summer and winter (I walk to work, so experience extreme temperature changes).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2015, 04:43:01 AM »
Just found this thread and loving it! I've been trying to pare down and focus on what clothes I wear a lot and why I wear them (fit, colour, type of fabric) etc. I've come up with a list of 'ideals': fabric choice, silhouette neutral colours and accent colours. It's been very helpful in guiding my purchasing choices (for me it's fabric and patterns, rather than ready to wear clothes, but the same idea).

I also had my colours done years ago and it made a huge difference. It's not about which -colours- suit you, but which -shades-. Everyone will have a pink that looks nice on them, for me it needs to a hot pink, not pastel. If I do want pale pink it needs to be an icy shade with blue undertones (I'm a winter). The pink recommended in that 'universally flattering' article would make me look awful. The lady I saw did say that 'cornflower blue' looks good on everyone though. Maybe it's subjective.

The best thing about it for me is that I geniunely do limit my wardrobe to those colours as I know I love them, and it means I need far fewer choices in the thread department for dressmaking!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »

Check out the capsule wardrobes on the blog Wardrobe Oxygen.  Her's are generally smaller than an entire wardrobe (like what to pack for a trip to X, or a stay at home mom capsule that is meant to be the foundation of a wardrobe, not the entire thing).  But she loves color and uses a ton of it.   She even has a link at the top of her blog that takes you straight to all her capsule posts. 

Honestly, most people worry way to much about color when putting together an outfit. Most colors, especially of either the same family (pastel, jewel tones, pure tones, etc.) tend to look good with one another.  A yellow pastel cardigan and pale purple dress look great together.  No need to anchor it all with a neutral.  If you have a yellow necklace, that can really help pull it together and make it look even more intentional, but if not, it's still a perfectly fine outfit. 

My closet it like a crayon box.  I'm trying to pick a few colors on which to focus, to limit things a bit more, and it feels a bit like Sophie's choice.  I love all the colors!  That said, while technically I am a winter (so I am told), I think that colors with red in them tend to bring out the ruddiness in my face. Any pink or red, no matter the shade--cool or warm and pale or saturated--does this.   So I am going to get rid of most of my reds.  I adore yellow, but I know it isn't the best color for me, so most of my yellow will go. Green doesn't really speak to me, so  I can commit to avoiding green purchases in the future, though you'll pry my favorite green stretch jeans from my cold, dead legs!  (By the way, I most often wear them with a cobalt blue shirt with white polka dots, or a yellow shirt with white breton stripes. Another example of mixing color with color.)  That still leaves a lot of colors, but it is a start.   

Teal, OTOH, is my favorite color and also happens to look great with both my skin and my eyes.  A deep, rich peacock teal makes my heart sing!

lise

« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
I am planning on getting some linen ones from j. crew. I hear linen is great at temperature control so it will be perfect for summer and winter (I walk to work, so experience extreme temperature changes).

@cookie - check out the linen t's on everlane.com.  The one I have is better quality than the jcrew one I had (which only lasted a year). And slightly cheaper (unless you can get them on sale at jcrew).  The cut is also more flattering on me.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
Another day, same clothes :)    I think this outfit may have made an appearance before, with the exception of the shoes.   I am really enjoying the mental space that has been freed up by not having to think much about my clothing for work. I also ran my weekly load of wash last night, including my work clothes - easy peasy. Much less time consuming then going to the dry cleaners. I just whipped everything out of the dryer when it was done and put it on hangers.

I also think that having a "uniform" has helped curve my desire to go clothes shopping. Retail therapy used to be a very much real thing for me. I  just feel much more "meh" about clothing in general, which is a good thing.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2015, 07:09:17 AM »
I find it so much easier to get dressed now. I usually hang the next outfit on a hanger on the door at night so I don't even have to open the wardrobe when I wake up.:P It reminds me of being at school as I had to wear a uniform and I would keep it hanging up at night so I had more time in the morning.

I just found the cardigan I wanted had been put back in stock online! Yay. I bought the blue cardigan, a blue top, a lighter blue vest, a pink vest and a necklace. It was only £50 and I got cashback as well.

No more shopping for the year now although I might need nightwear and underwear. I will let myself buy that if I have to. :)

Cookie

« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
@cookie - check out the linen t's on everlane.com.  The one I have is better quality than the jcrew one I had (which only lasted a year). And slightly cheaper (unless you can get them on sale at jcrew).  The cut is also more flattering on me.

Thanks for the tip! How does their sizing run? I have a problem finding clothes that are petite enough.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
Honestly, most people worry way to much about color when putting together an outfit. Most colors, especially of either the same family (pastel, jewel tones, pure tones, etc.) tend to look good with one another.  A yellow pastel cardigan and pale purple dress look great together.  No need to anchor it all with a neutral.  If you have a yellow necklace, that can really help pull it together and make it look even more intentional, but if not, it's still a perfectly fine outfit. 

+1

Due to this thread, I went down a rabbit hole of colour on the weekend.  I am apparently a soft autumn edging into soft summer, and luckily about 75% of my closet works in that respect.  I tend to be fairly boring when it comes to combining colours though, partly because I don't trust my eye, and so I did some reading on different ways to mix and match.  Sometimes a person just gets into a rut of thinking this only goes with that and you need to learn to see differently.

I recommend taking 15 or 20 minutes to google colour combining if you feel like you always choose the same combinations.  (I am especially going to work in some analogous and/or split complementary combos to my daily wear.) 

Also in the rabbit hole I came across this great website where a woman takes beautiful photographs and separates out all the individual colours like paint chips beside it.  It is a lesson in colour combining right there.  It also seems to have increased my awareness of colour out in the world although I expect that will wear off.   design-seeds.com

lise

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:58 PM »

Thanks for the tip! How does their sizing run? I have a problem finding clothes that are petite enough.

@cookie - I would say Everlane T's are true to size.  I'm a medium at gap and got medium at everlane in the T's.  Sizing start at XXS. 
I'm chesty (D) and I love the t's, my friend is as flat as pancake (AA) and also love's them - so they seem to be flattering on all chest sizes.
I also got a cardigan but had to size up to large for it be flattering in the boobage area.   

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2015, 03:29:25 AM »
One more thing about combining color:
I mentioned that colors in the same families pretty much always go.  That isn't to say that it is *only* colors in the same family.  In reality, almost any 2 colors can be combined.  There are truly very few colors that clash enough not to work.

However, the less similar the colors, the more difficult.  In my example I mentioned yellow cardi and purple dress.  If they are both pastels, that is 100% all you need in the outfit. However, if it is a pastel yellow cardi and a deep purple dress, the outfit is going to look better if you then have a yellow necklace hanging in the middle of that expanse of purple (or a yellow scarf), maybe yellow shoes, and/or other yellow accessories.  Also, the more neutral the shoe (assuming you don't have yellow), the better, and in this case, a flesh colored ballet flat is going to be less harsh than a black shoe. 

So, I find it helps to own scarves, necklaces, bracelets, belts, shoes, or other accessories in the colors of my secondary pieces. (Thats how I think of things like cardigans or blazers, tights, and even sometimes skirts or pants--secondary pieces).  That way, you grab the secondary piece and the coordinating accessory, and suddenly a couple disparate pieces become an outfit.  Purple dress, yellow cardigan and yellow necklace.  Teal top, rich pink skirt, and a rich pink scarf.  Cobalt dress, turquoise tights (or shoes) and a turquoise belt or blazer.   

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2015, 07:15:38 AM »
Happy Monday - I think I look droopy in the photo - but the fit is better in person and at a better angle. It's hard to get my phone set up just right.

Anyhow - still loving the uniform approach and the general avoidance of the dry cleaners (and clothes shopping).

Pulled a few more things out of my dresser. I also realize that the sweaters I have are pretty summery and I may need a couple warmer sweaters when winter gets here. Nothing that I need to do about it right now.

Trying to figure out how to get a swimsuit and try swimming laps w/o buying anything new. My current suit isn't really suitable for lapswims and I am a bit sguigged out by the thought of a used swimsuit. I need some sort of long-torso, D-cup, wondersuit (w/o fat squinching). However, I said no clothes shopping until the end of August - but this summer schedule presents some opportunity to try it w/ fewer logisitical problems (kids are w/ their Dad 1/2 time in the summer)... Totally unrelated to a capsule wardrobe.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
MsPeacock, I love the pink!

If you're truly looking for a suit to swim laps in, then I would opt for a Speedo Endurance suit.  I wore one for two workouts/day for 6 months.  However, I wouldn't want to wear one to the beach. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
MsPeacock, I love the pink!

If you're truly looking for a suit to swim laps in, then I would opt for a Speedo Endurance suit.  I wore one for two workouts/day for 6 months.  However, I wouldn't want to wear one to the beach.

I broke my no buy and ordered a speedo long torso. Hopefully it fits. I swear I have an extra vertebrae or something. I am not that tall but one pieces suits always pinch.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:35 AM »
^I know what you mean as I have a long torso too.:P I

Today's outfit is my teal top and black skirt with sandals and a long necklace.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2015, 04:58:38 AM »
Same grey pants, old blue blouse, no sweater (it is almost 100 outside and my office for once is not over cooled). I have nothing exciting to say about this outfit - I like this top - it looks good w/ jeans, the colors suit me, and it can go to work. It is very light cotton and I've had it about 6 years or so.

Purged my kid's sock drawers this weekend - so that is something out of the closets, even if it isn't my closets. Somehow they have 500 pairs of socks. They keep growing (the 8 year olds feet are the same size as mine - he is going to be a giant, and the 12 year old is several sizes larger than me now) and somehow the old socks just never moved along. I have a giant shopping bag of socks now for Goodwill. I hardly have to "purge" the kids clothing since they outgrow it on such a regular basis.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
MsPeacock, I'd be curious how many items you have in your work capsule.  I am planning to do a count at some point this summer and will post the results here.  One thing that is clear to me since I started this capsule approach is that while I have gotten rid of number of things, I still have a lot more than I really need.  When I first read about Project 333, I thought it was crazy.  Now I'm starting to think that getting down to 33 items is quite doable and may be enjoyable.

As to my lime-green sweater, it's still in my closet with the tags on.  I can't bring myself to return it (I tried a couple of times!) but I haven't worn it yet, either!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
MsPeacock, I'd be curious how many items you have in your work capsule.  I am planning to do a count at some point this summer and will post the results here.  One thing that is clear to me since I started this capsule approach is that while I have gotten rid of number of things, I still have a lot more than I really need.  When I first read about Project 333, I thought it was crazy.  Now I'm starting to think that getting down to 33 items is quite doable and may be enjoyable.

As to my lime-green sweater, it's still in my closet with the tags on.  I can't bring myself to return it (I tried a couple of times!) but I haven't worn it yet, either!

I haven't counted - I have too many to qualify as a capsule. For me the goal was to have less and to streamline my routine w/ clothing for work. I had gotten to the point where a significant portion of my clothing no longer fit or was out of style/uncomfortable, required dry cleaning, and I was out of closet space (which is admittedly very limited in my house). Sorting out the clothing situation seemed to inevitably involve me purchasing *more* clothing and being unhappy almost every day w/ whatever I was wearing. I am in a much better space now in regards to all of those issues - got rid of many many things and purchased a few things w/ specific goals in mind (some machine washable white dress shirts, LandsEnd pants). I would guess that more than 10 things went out of my closet for every item I purchased. I would say that I have more than I strictly need, but my goal wasn't to get down to the bare minimum - but to have a more manageable approach and to largely stop buying clothing (other than for replacement purposes)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!