Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211591 times)

lise

Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
As we are making progress forward on our capsule/minimalist wardrobes:

What items did you use to love that you've now parted ways with?

Anything you used to swear by and maybe love that you've let go of - for whatever reason? Any particular items or style of items?

I am also working on letting go of a lot of my costume jewelry.

I can't seem to let go of costume jewelry either.  I would say I wear half of the 40 pieces I have, but I can't seem to let go of the 20 pieces I don't wear that often, but they "still give me joy".   My number of pieces are considerably downsized from when I "Kondo'd" late last year.   I'm not too concerned, it doesn't take up that much physical space, but it's weird considering I've been able to easily minimize in other areas.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »
You're the Rosalind Franklin to my Crick and Watson.

I just keep loving this thread more and more.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »
I'm bringing in another batch of clothes for consignment.  It feels really good to have these items out of the closet and to give myself permission to wear what I really like and feel comfortable in, instead of feeling obligated to wear the other stuff just because I bought it and it's there.

I think the next step for me is trying to combine my remaining pieces in some new ways.  I tend to have set outfits and rarely mix and match, so I'm going to try doing that more.

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Although I consider myself an "anti-hoarder" (mostly) I have realized the hardest things to get rid of for me are clothes that at one time were my favourites but the last year or so I have moved onto other items.  I think in my head I think "can't get rid of this item as I wear it all the time", when in fact I USED to wear it all the time but no longer do.  After this light bulb moment I now find it easier to get rid of these items I no longer wear frequently. 

My other weakness is sandals.  Lord love a duck, how many sandals can someone have living in a climate where at most I wear them for four months.  I own more sandals than shoes, much, much more.  6 pairs of blue sandals, 4 gold, 4 silver, etc. etc.  I am officially cut off, no more buying sandals!  I was at the mall the other day and found myself looking at sandals and almost had to slap myself (or punch myself) to stop looking at sandals!!!

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
Margarita, you are making me laugh.   Mostly because I see myself in your comments.   I too have way too many sandals.  They are all adorable, but reality is I too can only wear them about 4 months of the year.   No more sandals for me!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:10 AM »
I brought a bunch of clothes to the consignment store yesterday and I think I will return a cardigan I bought last weekend.  I have been searching for the right summer weight black cardigan for a couple years now and I finally found it last weekend.  I wore it earlier this week with the patterned skirt (another meeting that required dressing up) and am very pleased with it - it's a keeper.  However, I also picked up another cardigan while I was in the store.  It is my favorite color (lime green), fits well and it was on super sale ($12), but when I look into my closet, I already have 3 other cardigans very similar to it (not this exact shade and shape, but similar).  So I think I will bring it back.  I like it a lot, but I simply DO NOT NEED IT!

Wearing another version of my uniform today.  Dark wash straight jeans, striped shell and a longish linen cardigan, this time with sandals, not flats. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
I brought a bunch of clothes to the consignment store yesterday and I think I will return a cardigan I bought last weekend.  I have been searching for the right summer weight black cardigan for a couple years now and I finally found it last weekend.  I wore it earlier this week with the patterned skirt (another meeting that required dressing up) and am very pleased with it - it's a keeper.  However, I also picked up another cardigan while I was in the store.  It is my favorite color (lime green), fits well and it was on super sale ($12), but when I look into my closet, I already have 3 other cardigans very similar to it (not this exact shade and shape, but similar).  So I think I will bring it back.  I like it a lot, but I simply DO NOT NEED IT!

Alternately, if it's in better shape, easier care, or more versatile than those other 3, you could replace one of those cardigans.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »

Alternately, if it's in better shape, easier care, or more versatile than those other 3, you could replace one of those cardigans.

Yes, that's true.  One of the 3 cardis has been tentatively on the chopping block for a while (it is at least 10 years old but has held up amazingly well) - I used to wear it a lot, but haven't worn it that much recently.  I will try out some different outfits with all of them and decide.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
A great blog post on capsule wardrobes I happened upon this morning:

http://grechenscloset.com/capsule-wardrobes/

A lot of it resonated strongly with me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »

Yes, that's true.  One of the 3 cardis has been tentatively on the chopping block for a while (it is at least 10 years old but has held up amazingly well) - I used to wear it a lot, but haven't worn it that much recently.  I will try out some different outfits with all of them and decide.

You can go all, "Magic art of tidying up" and thank your cardigan for it's service and let it go =) I've been trying to work on this- I feel bad getting rid of clothes I've worn to death. My poor SO usually has to intervene and tell me I'm starting to look homeless and I should probably get rid of the shoes/shirt/pants/whatever that is dingy and filled with holes.

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
Haven't posted much - sorry it's long. But I got so much inspiration from this thread.

I was rained in over a 4-day Memorial weekend, and ended up donating two packed car-loads of clothing and other things to Goodwill. I pulled out all my clothes from closets and drawers, piled them on the bed; and sorted them into keep, donate, and rag/toss piles.  I spend almost an entire day going through my jewelry – mostly costume, and most of it unworn for years. Took me hours to untangle chains and necklaces.

I didn’t think to count until after the first carload of stuff went to Goodwill, but I got rid at least 150 things (jewelry and clothes). I’m still shocked that I had that much. I also haven’t counted what’s left, but I kept about 6 pairs of pants, several knit skirts, and assorted sweaters and tops that go with all of the bottoms. Most everything is solid colors – no patterns except for lots of Breton stripes – guess that’s my uniform. More than what’s needed for a capsule wardrobe, but a lot of the stuff spans seasons, and is enough that I shouldn’t need to shop for clothes for a long time.

I was ruthless in what I got rid of – I had some beautiful, quality things that are now 2 sizes too small. I’ve held on to them for years because it felt wasteful to let go of things that I might be able to wear someday. I also got rid of a lot of newer things that fit, but don’t suit my middle-aged self – I was buying things that worked for the younger me. That was kind of painful – money thrown away, and facing the middle-aged spread. Hopefully, someone else will enjoy them.

My color palette is now very limited (black, blue, white, gray, and a little pink), the stuff I kept is very basic, simple, and comfortable – the things I reach for every morning while bypassing trendier things. I won’t be as stylish as I would like, but for now that works. I’ll have to look into scarves to add a little interest – I worry a little that I’m settling into a kind of comfortable frumpiness that will make me invisible, but whatever. It's only clothes, and I can change what doesn't work long-term.

Best of all - I love opening drawers and closets in the morning and seeing what I have, and finding what I want right away – everything is nice, neat and organized instead of crammed into overstuffed drawers. It no longer takes 5 minutes rummaging through the jewelry box to look for the earrings I want – I only kept the 6 pair that I always wear.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

You can go all, "Magic art of tidying up" and thank your cardigan for it's service and let it go =) I've been trying to work on this- I feel bad getting rid of clothes I've worn to death. My poor SO usually has to intervene and tell me I'm starting to look homeless and I should probably get rid of the shoes/shirt/pants/whatever that is dingy and filled with holes.

I have been on the library waiting list for this book forever now!  I think I will just buy it instead.  I saw it at Target for something like $11.

lise

« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

Best of all - I love opening drawers and closets in the morning and seeing what I have, and finding what I want right away – everything is nice, neat and organized instead of crammed into overstuffed drawers. It no longer takes 5 minutes rummaging through the jewelry box to look for the earrings I want – I only kept the 6 pair that I always wear.

I agree!  Mornings are so much easier for me.  I actually know where things are and what I actually have.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »

I have been on the library waiting list for this book forever now!  I think I will just buy it instead.  I saw it at Target for something like $11.
I broke down and bought the eBook on Amazon.  It was about $7, and I had a few $1 off things piled up for shipping things slow (Prime).  The book is amazing.  I'm so happy I purchased it.  I read the whole book in 3 days.  I'm going to reread the clothing chapter and rewatch the folding videos tonight.  I'm tackling my clothing tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
So I broke down too and got the Marie Kondo book as well. I opted for a paper version over an e-book.  I'm excited to read it this weekend!

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
I just put in a request at my library for the Marie Kondo book.   There are 391 waiting ahead of me but apparently they have 71 books so I'm hoping I can get it by end of summer.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
So I broke down too and got the Marie Kondo book as well. I opted for a paper version over an e-book.  I'm excited to read it this weekend!

Half way through it and I love it!  So glad I decided to buy it. I was vastly skeptical about this book when I read all the enthusiastic reviews. But it speaks to me on so many levels!  And the seemingly hokey advice to thank your items for their service and serving their purpose?  That is truly the best part :-) - very effective for saying goodbye to various items kept for sentimental reasons.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:16:34 PM by ZiziPB »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2015, 04:11:12 AM »
I had a long black skirt with a blue flower pattern and I used fabric dye to make the flowers purple to match my vest tops. I'm wearing the skirt and a vest top under a pink cardigan today with a gold pendant necklace and my pink flats.:)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
I put the decluttering book on request at the library.

Looking at my closet now and working on pulling at least a few more things out. Struggling because I am down to things I like but that don't work all they well for one reason or another. Anyone else getting stuck at that point?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
Lovely! Thank you for posting. I agree - the green dress and purple sweater combo is awesome.

Thank you!

In response to your question about things we've given up on, I'm reconsidering my entire previous strategy of dark jewel-tone clothing with black as the primary neutral. Maybe it's the season, but that seems depressing now. I've also gotten rid of some standards (work tops, dresses) that I realized were not flattering.

Overall I'm pleased with how simple my closet is, even with items shoved in the back in preparation for donation/swapping/selling.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »

Looking at my closet now and working on pulling at least a few more things out. Struggling because I am down to things I like but that don't work all they well for one reason or another. Anyone else getting stuck at that point?
I think reading the book may help with that. She advises on doing it the other way: decide what to keep not what to discard.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

I think reading the book may help with that. She advises on doing it the other way: decide what to keep not what to discard.

Ah! Like packing a suitcase!  Very interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. But I am a very light packer with the goal of taking only things maximally useful and repeating things several times. I will turn fresh eyes to some of my clothing with that in mind.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »

Ah! Like packing a suitcase!  Very interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. But I am a very light packer with the goal of taking only things maximally useful and repeating things several times. I will turn fresh eyes to some of my clothing with that in mind.

Yes, I like your analogy.  Like packing a suitcase for your life. So pick the things you truly love and that make you happy and bring you joy.

I did another purge this morning and let go of some things that I liked but that weren't quit right for various reasons.  I'm almost done with the book and highly recommend it!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
As we are making progress forward on our capsule/minimalist wardrobes:

What items did you use to love that you've now parted ways with?

Anything you used to swear by and maybe love that you've let go of - for whatever reason? Any particular items or style of items?

I am also working on letting go of a lot of my costume jewelry.

I can't seem to let go of costume jewelry either.  I would say I wear half of the 40 pieces I have, but I can't seem to let go of the 20 pieces I don't wear that often, but they "still give me joy".   My number of pieces are considerably downsized from when I "Kondo'd" late last year.   I'm not too concerned, it doesn't take up that much physical space, but it's weird considering I've been able to easily minimize in other areas.

Yup, me too.   I used to be all about the "statement necklace."   I'd wear the same earrings each day, but then a chunky brightly colored necklace even with a t-shirt and jeans.   I don't think it was a bad look, but I'm over it.   

I still have my necklaces hanging on hooks though.   I almost never wear them.   And there are a few I didn't even used to wear when I did wear necklaces.   But they don't take up much room, and I feel like I *might* neeeed them one day.   Hmmmm, I should go through and give away at least half.   I really should.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2015, 08:13:56 PM »
I'm the opposite with jewelry - I own almost none, because I never wear it. My ears are stretched/gauged, so I have tunnels or plugs in them all the time, and a cartilage piercing in the right one that I couldn't take out if I wanted to (no idea how). That and my wedding ring is all I ever wear.

Day-to-day, it doesn't matter, as I'm pretty much exclusively a jean & t-shirt kind of girl (+ scrubs for work and gym clothes for the gym), but on the rare occasions I do dress up, I'd like to have jewelry to wear. I just don't know what to get or how to wear it.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I read the book, and while I thought that some things were silly (her assertion that she's been studying the art of tidying since she was five years old and she used to look at her mom's lifestyle magazines, even though she couldn't read), I read with an open mind. And I'll admit to thanking things for their service, no matter how uncomfortable I felt about it. And you know what? It did help me get rid of things that I would have otherwise felt too guilty to donate.

Clothes were hard for me, because I have never cared about them, so literally the only piece of clothing that I own that sparked joy is a five year old pair of sweatpants that I bought at Target. It's not practical for me to get rid of EVERYthing else, because unfortunately my boss would frown upon me wearing them every day, so I had to use the parameter of "does this fit me well?"  (most things don't) and "is it comfortable?" (which is really my main clothing criteria). I was able to get rid of massive amounts of stuff, and my closet is so flipping clean that it's a joy to look inside it.

But probably the most helpful part about the whole thing is that now that all of the noise is gone, I can easily see what the gaps are in my closet, what kinds of things I tend towards, and can make a list of what to buy in the future. I also won't make the mistakes of buying certain things that I got rid of, because I'm not really aware of which things I don't like/aren't comfortable enough.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2015, 02:50:43 AM »
Today I'm wearing the long purple patterned skirt again with the pink flats and a three quarter length sleeve top in the same shade of purple. I dyed the top at the same time as the skirt. :) I'm adding a silver necklace with a pink pendant.

But probably the most helpful part about the whole thing is that now that all of the noise is gone, I can easily see what the gaps are in my closet, what kinds of things I tend towards, and can make a list of what to buy in the future. I also won't make the mistakes of buying certain things that I got rid of, because I'm not really aware of which things I don't like/aren't comfortable enough.

+1. I know I won't just buy clothes randomly again as I know what I'm looking for if I need to buy a certain item of clothing.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »
Another week - another uniform. Standard blue pants. Blue and white stripped shirt - this one has little gold buttons on the sleeves and shoulders. I love these shirts and have 4 very similar shirts.... it is my weakness. I think they flatter me and are classic and preppy. I love them w/ jeans and w/ dress pants and in the summer w/ shorts and in the winter over a turtleneck.... So, maybe I should see if I can part with one or two of them, but I would rather give up (and have) other long sleeved shirts in favor of these.

This weekend I culled about 80% of my costume jewelry - got rid of 3 bins worth of stuff (plastic bin for jewelry, not a giant Rubbermaid tote or anything). Took another bag of clothing out of my closet. Probably have a few pairs of pants to part with that I just haven't quite come to terms w/ yet.

Getting back in the saddle for no clothes buying for at least 3 months, but hoping to make it to years end. I'll evaluate at 3 month mark if there is anything I need.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
Another week - another uniform. Standard blue pants. Blue and white stripped shirt - this one has little gold buttons on the sleeves and shoulders. I love these shirts and have 4 very similar shirts.... it is my weakness. I think they flatter me and are classic and preppy. I love them w/ jeans and w/ dress pants and in the summer w/ shorts and in the winter over a turtleneck.... So, maybe I should see if I can part with one or two of them, but I would rather give up (and have) other long sleeved shirts in favor of these.

This weekend I culled about 80% of my costume jewelry - got rid of 3 bins worth of stuff (plastic bin for jewelry, not a giant Rubbermaid tote or anything). Took another bag of clothing out of my closet. Probably have a few pairs of pants to part with that I just haven't quite come to terms w/ yet.

Getting back in the saddle for no clothes buying for at least 3 months, but hoping to make it to years end. I'll evaluate at 3 month mark if there is anything I need.

Love the look today. Very timeless. I feel like the shoulder structure on that shirt lends a very 'statuesque' appearance. Well done =)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
Somewhat relevant:

I created a new thread about Clothing Swaps. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/90-of-my-wardrobe-is-$0-new-to-me-and-changes-every-6-months!/

Essentially it could go hand-in-hand with creating a capsule wardrobe. As you pare down your clothing and get rid of stuff, a clothing swap might allow you to fill some gaps (if you have any).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »
I really like my fairly new pink cardigan. :) Today I'm wearing a knee length black skirt, black vest top with the cardigan, sandals and a long chunky grey, black and silver necklace.

I like striped tops like that.:) It looks good on you.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:19 AM »
I'm with Bracken_Joy, I think that outfit works very well on you.

I had a friend over on the weekend to drop off clothes for the swap and evaluate some of my question marks. She is solidly anti-tan jacket, as expected. She has much more of a hoarding tendency than I do, though, and encouraged me to hang on to other pieces, because why not? I think I need to ignore other people's advice for now and go by what the mirror/camera tells me.

Psyched that you're hosting a swap!!

lise

« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
@mspeacock - love the striped top.  Keep the four tops - they give you joy (you'll understand when you read Marie Kondo!).  Don't minimize just for the sake of it, if you know you're going to wear all four of them.   Some of them are bound to wear out quicker than others.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »
Ladies - thank you for the complements today! Fortunately, these shirts are pretty easy to find (H&M always seems to have some) so I can keep up my blue/white striped shirt habit.  :)

Here is a recent article about Kondo from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/garden/home-organization-advice-from-marie-kondo.html?_r=0

The lovely pictures of her organized kitchen drawers make me want to tackle the 3(!) junk drawers in my kitchen. I'm sure that I don't need the 200 or so pencils/pens that seem to live there.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
I think Marie Kondo is a bit like Mr. MMM, in that they are both extremists and use language we might not be familiar with (flowery/cutesy or badass and swear-y) but that it works well that way, so that people can take away major ideas and water it down to their own level.

Someone explained this aspect of MMM elsewhere, and I'm finding I can't do it justice. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
I think Marie Kondo is a bit like Mr. MMM, in that they are both extremists and use language we might not be familiar with (flowery/cutesy or badass and swear-y) but that it works well that way, so that people can take away major ideas and water it down to their own level.

Someone explained this aspect of MMM elsewhere, and I'm finding I can't do it justice. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Absolutely agree. They are caricatures. I feel like if you met either one of them, they would be a much more subtle and complex person. But subtle and complex doesn't convey ideas as quickly or memorably. No one likes taking ideas from middle of the road people. We like extreme representations. Love it or hate it, they stick with us.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »

Absolutely agree. They are caricatures. I feel like if you met either one of them, they would be a much more subtle and complex person. But subtle and complex doesn't convey ideas as quickly or memorably. No one likes taking ideas from middle of the road people. We like extreme representations. Love it or hate it, they stick with us.

Thank you! Very nicely explained.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
Lovely! Thank you for posting. I agree - the green dress and purple sweater combo is awesome.

Thank you!

In response to your question about things we've given up on, I'm reconsidering my entire previous strategy of dark jewel-tone clothing with black as the primary neutral. Maybe it's the season, but that seems depressing now. I've also gotten rid of some standards (work tops, dresses) that I realized were not flattering.

Overall I'm pleased with how simple my closet is, even with items shoved in the back in preparation for donation/swapping/selling.
That's pretty much my color scheme as well, and I agree with you that it doesn't always work for summer!  What I've been adding in is more white, light grey (which goes along with the black I think), and yellows and greens.  I just got a sweater (for free) that is 3/4 sleeve and is white with a yellow and black floral print on it.  Actually there's more yellow than white showing.  This over a white tank top is very summery and cheerful!

So, add in some white to lighten up for the summer.  Everything that looks good with black will look good with white, and the jewel colors will look brighter.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »

Thank you! Very nicely explained.

I like both of your explanations.  Very true.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »

I'm still on the waiting list for the Kondo book but I've read excerpts.  It reminds me very much of Japanese culture, particularly the obsession with "kawaii" (which means cute, but is taken to en extreme). There a sort of precociousness to it, for lack of a better explanation.  Grown women wear pink, frothy lace dresses with bows and kittens.  I attributed her cutesiness to simply a cultural thing, which would not be at all out of place in Japan, but to Americans and maybe westerners in general, it feels bit it overly twee.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:31:15 PM by Villanelle »

lise

« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

I'm still on the waiting list for the Kondo book but I've read excerpts.  It reminds me very much of Japanese culture, particularly the obsession with "kawaii" (which means cute, but is taken to en extreme). There a sort of precociousness, to it, for lack of a better explanation.  Grown women where pink, frothy lace dresses with bows and kittens.  I attributed her cutesiness to simply a cultural thing, which would not be at all out of place in Japan, but to Americans and maybe westerners in general, it feels bit it overly twee.

When I read the book, it seemed more like "Muji" in thinking, but written in "Hello Kitty" style - both very much loved by the Japanese! 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:11 PM »
That's pretty much my color scheme as well, and I agree with you that it doesn't always work for summer!  What I've been adding in is more white, light grey (which goes along with the black I think), and yellows and greens.  I just got a sweater (for free) that is 3/4 sleeve and is white with a yellow and black floral print on it.  Actually there's more yellow than white showing.  This over a white tank top is very summery and cheerful!

So, add in some white to lighten up for the summer.  Everything that looks good with black will look good with white, and the jewel colors will look brighter.

I like this method in theory, but in reality I ruin everything white. That actually may be the ultimate source of my dark color scheme. I'll open my mind to white if I come across something free/ultra-cheap, though.

I am too! After reading your other thread, I'm planning on having this twice a year, with more advance notice next time. (Assuming it goes well, of course.)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2015, 01:30:53 AM »
Today I'm wearing the same black skirt and sandals as yesterday with a blue and white long sleeved striped top. I didn't use to wear stripes but I think they can be flattering. I'm also wearing a long silver and blue necklace.

I want to buy a few more necklaces, I used to wear earrings, rings and bracelets but I donated them all and I just stick to necklaces now. I think they can really make a difference to an outfit and people tend to notice them.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2015, 04:29:07 AM »
Another day, same pants, old shirt - the one I sort of struggle with. It stayed through the last purge. I like it - color, cut - but I find it hard to match to anything. I think it works pretty well w/ these pants. So, so far it has made the cut.

IDK WTH is going on w/ my hair today. I should have blocked out my entire head. :P

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:43 PM »
MsPeacock, I like your top a lot and love the shoes you are wearing.  As to the hair, if your weather is anything like my weather today, the conditions are ideal for a bad hair day ;-)

I have been sticking to my uniform for the last couple of weeks and it's been working well.  I picked up my beige pants from the tailor this morning.  Hopefully this is the last clothes related expense for the summer.

I saw that you have recommitted to "no clothes shopping" and I feel that I need to do the same.  I had a legitimate need to replace some items (no summer pants or shorts from last year fit me and some T-shirts were looking ratty) but once I started shopping for needed items, I ended up buying other stuff and that is no good!  I need a shopping fast :-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »

I saw that you have recommitted to "no clothes shopping" and I feel that I need to do the same.  I had a legitimate need to replace some items (no summer pants or shorts from last year fit me and some T-shirts were looking ratty) but once I started shopping for needed items, I ended up buying other stuff and that is no good!  I need a shopping fast :-)

It is very easy for me to slide into shopping! Too easy. I think that having a 'uniform' will help slow that down a lot because it sets very specific parameters for what I will buy for work (vs. looking for something 'cute,' looking for something that I have some vague idea will suit my 'style,' buying something trendy because it catches my eyes, or (most commonly) emotional shopping. I made a few wrong turns during May but overall came out w/ pieces which will get a lot more use and really got rid of a lot of excess. I also feel better, on average, about what I am wearing, because it all fits and it all comfortable and looks decent (sometimes very good to great).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Been on my uniform for three weeks now and I'm loving it. I'm half way through my closet cleanup but I can already see the back of my closet :) Yay!!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »
Another day, same pants, white sweater, teal button down blouse (recent purchase because it fits w/ the general uniform of blouse/sweater/pants).

And Awesome Sauce to everyone who is cutting back their clothes habits, cleaning out their closets, working on streamlining their lives, etc.!!!!!

Question: Should I keep posting pictures?

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2015, 06:34:56 AM »
Yes!  Please keep posting photos.  I keep meaning to comment as I read all the posts and really enjoy the photos.  I love your classic style.

I am not sure how old you are (maybe you said) but I think you have nailed the look for most women (not too young and trendy and not too old and frumpy).

My favourite outfit to date is the second last one with the blue top and the blue ballet flats, it looks great.

I keep wondering who takes the photos? 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »

I like this method in theory, but in reality I ruin everything white. That actually may be the ultimate source of my dark color scheme. I'll open my mind to white if I come across something free/ultra-cheap, though.

I am too! After reading your other thread, I'm planning on having this twice a year, with more advance notice next time. (Assuming it goes well, of course.)
I'm pretty rough on white too, but bleach still works!  And the thrift store will always have more basic white things.