Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211543 times)

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2015, 05:29:36 AM »
RE: The uniform = boring. I don't think a uniform has to be boring. I will say, that I really struggle with prints. I have almost no clothing with any sort of pattern on it at all. Today's shirt is a very rare exception and I mostly look at it and feel a real struggle w/ "matching" it to something. I like solid color tops, bottoms, classic looking shoes,.... So, that may be very boring. However, I also love clothing that is well cut and fit appropriately (not that all mine achieve this). I think boring is one of those things that is subjective - and a uniform doesn't have to mean monochromatic or solid colors or no accessories, or only dreary colors. I do think it means having a fairly narrow definition of what you will wear and sticking to it in order to make dressing easier, limit clothing purchases, and having a collection of clothing that you really like, feel comfortable in, suitable for your activities, and attractive.

I don't think you've ever looked boring! I think you look put-together, and a lot of that is fit (and your awesome haircut).

You could definitely add in pattern really easily with some patterned cardigans, since you wear a white shirt under them anyway! Or scarves... though I see to be in the minority who can't get enough of them.

I'm moving back to the US in about a month and part of packing up to leave here will include getting rid of whatever clothes and shoes are worn out and ratty (lots) or don't fit right or I just don't wear. It's always been hard for me to throw away well-worn clothes not because I get attached to them but because I'm frugal and it's hard for me to find clothes that fit right anyway (I'm a giant). The next step will be finding new stuff and ruthlessly rejecting whatever doesn't fit for any reason. Marie Kondo will be shopping with me in my mind :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
How is everyone else doing w/ weeding down, streamlining, identifying a style, or any of the other minimalist/capsule/uniform goals?

I have gone through my closet again this morning and put away a few items for donation and several items for consignment.  I am also getting rid of 5 pairs of summer shoes.  I also moved around some items so now I have a clearly designated section where my summer "work uniform" pieces are located.

The closet is starting to look quite empty and I really like it.  Most of the items I have gotten rid of so far either didn't fit or were worn out, so my options for outfits have not been really limited as I still have plenty of clothes that do fit.

This years summer uniform for work consists mostly of narrow/fitted pants in a neutral color (black (3 pairs), white (1), beige (1)), with a longer sleeveless shell (mostly patterned, some solid) and a long cardigan.  For accessories I wear a watch, earrings and some sort of a necklace.  In addition, I have 2 pencil skirts (one black, one patterned) and 1 jacket that I can wear in place of a cardigan.  The skirts are a bit dressier than the pant based outfits.  Since today I have to go out to lunch with some vendors, I am wearing the black and white patterned skirt with a black shell and a dark orange fitted cardigan.

I have to have my beige pants shortened but otherwise I'm going to give this set a go and see if I can stick to it until the end of the summer.  I may post some pictures once I figure out how to do it.

ETA: I have noticed that I am a lot more effective at weeding out stuff from my closet in the mornings.  I have all these grand plans of organizing and doing things when I get home from work, but in reality I am too exhausted to do anything or be effective at it.  I look at the stuff in the closet and I just feel overwhelmed to the point of being paralyzed and unable to try anything on or make any decisions.  But it's a totally different story in the morning - my mind is clear and I can try things on and make decisions whether to keep or toss.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:56:46 AM by ZiziPB »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:21 AM »
I read that wearing patterns on your bottom half is an easy way to add more prints/colour to your outfits just as long as you have enough neutral and plain coloured tops and jackets.:) Apparently people notice prints more if they are on the top half of your body.

I made the mistake of buying two patterned dresses and then wondered why I couldn't make many outfits as all the people on Project 333. I got a plain black dress and it is much simpler to coordinate now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
Another photo - and I would say this is very much the "uniform" - I have several of these Lands End sweaters in a variety of colors and 3 pairs of these pants (black, navy, gray) and white shirts. Plan to rotate some variation of this for the most part.

My challenge this week - assuming the pants remain presentable - is to wear them all week and just change out the tops. Same as next week. Being able to do so would let me cut a few "extra" pants out of the closet.

How is everyone else doing w/ weeding down, streamlining, identifying a style, or any of the other minimalist/capsule/uniform goals?

Fantastic necklace. I wish I could wear statement pieces like that... I always feel self-concious if I do. I think that's why I go for scarves instead. I can appreciate it on someone else though!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

[/quote]

Fantastic necklace. I wish I could wear statement pieces like that... I always feel self-concious if I do. I think that's why I go for scarves instead. I can appreciate it on someone else though!
[/quote]

Thank you - I would say I feel exactly the same way about scarves are you do about necklaces. I can wear this necklace w/ just about every outfit (it is the only one I leave out on my dresser). I'm thinking that I will actually give away my remaining scarves - which is only 3 or 4 right now. I may hang onto one grey one that is pretty nice and less bulky than the others. I think I am also going to purge my costume jewelry - probably some ladies at work will be willing to take the better pieces off my hands.

Loving getting rid of stuff and being able to *see* in my closet!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »
I looooove your sweater MrsPeacock!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
Replying to follow!  I am still at the "too much clothing" phase but it's a dream of mine to pare it down.  I love all the blogs and support - keep it coming!

One question:  what pants do y'all buy that are not jeans and yet don't need to be pressed/dry cleaned?  I work in a casual blue jean environment now so it's not a huge deal yet, but as I work my way up the corporate food chain I will have to shed my solid color t-shirt/jeans/flats work "uniform" for something nicer.

Ponte knit.  It looks pulled together, is heavy enough to be flattering on any lumps or bumps, yet feels pretty similar to sweat pants.    It wouldn't work in most environments where suits are required, but for anything else, it is appropriate.  There actually are suiting pieces--jackets, skirts, and pants-- in ponte, but the fabric looks every so slightly less casual than traditional suiting materials so in offices where a true suit is required, it might fall short. 

In addition to pants, skirts, and blazers/jackets, ponte dresses are also easy to find.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »
I looooove your sweater MrsPeacock!

Thank you!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
Pulled out all but two scarves and brought them to work to give to my friend who wears scarves. (She also basically does a minimalist wardrobe and keeps all her work clothes in her file cabinet.)

Today's photo - same pants all week, another cardigan (same style, different color), and an old blouse with a pattern (! one of very few). I kept the blouse because it goes w/ all my colors (blue, tan, grey, black).

Trying to do some silly fashion pose - obviously not cut out to be a model  :P

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
MsPeacock, I like the consistency in your uniform.  Do you feel it makes it easier to get dressed in the morning or is it too early to tell yet?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
MsPeacock, I like the consistency in your uniform.  Do you feel it makes it easier to get dressed in the morning or is it too early to tell yet?

I think it makes it a lot easier. I actually always put my clothes out the night before because I get up super early. I just find myself expending a lot less mental energy and actual time. I know that what is in my closet 1) fits 2) matches pretty much everything else (with some exceptions because I didn't entirely rid myself of my old clothing). I've also migrated towards entirely machine washable clothes and I think that will also save me time and money since I won't have to deal w/ the dry cleaners.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
I have also switched over to mostly machine washable clothing and am loving the freedom from dry cleaners. The only exception is that I do like lined wool pants and skirts for winter so I still have a few of them.  And they definitely need to be professionally cleaned.  The other change I have made is moving away from high heels.  For a number of years I wore high heeled shoes but have been finding them increasingly uncomfortable so I have mostly switched over to loafers and flats. 

Here is another blog that I found interesting and inspiring.  I especially like the Personal Style posts and the fact that she is showing almost exclusively real life examples of outfits from her own closet.

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/start-here/

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
I did a clothing count and purge this year and wrote about it on my blog.
Then soon after that I moved and quit my job, so I got rid of my least favourite work clothes, but bought a few new things as well. I need to go through everything again. I'm so confused about clothes and what I should be wearing. The hardest part for me is having the extreme seasons and having to wear so many layers. So in the summer I go through shirts quickly from sweating and in the winter I'm wearing 3 or 4 layers before my winter coat. And I may have to go back to laundromat washing so then you need more clothes. But I yearn to be a minimalist.
http://www.moneytipscanada.ca/clothing-count-2015/
Here's my blog post if you're interested.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
I moved my "do not wear" items into the hard to reach corners of my closet (which is half of my closet…). I'm questioning how much I should keep right now, because almost everything is getting too big on me. History would tell me that in about 6-12 months, it will fit me again, and do I really want to buy new clothes when that happens? And then what about the clothing in my main capsule that doesn’t fit me so well? For example, my tan jacket that doesn’t have a good alternative.

I've drafted a 333 wardrobe, and I'll list that tomorrow with a picture. I made a pivot table, guys. Get excited.

I read part of the remixable wardrobe series on Putting Me Together, and decided to try belting a baggy but cute patterned shirt on Monday. It.. looked weird.

I've identified one essential piece that I can get rid of: my black work skirt. I got doggie paw prints all over it last week (WORTH IT), and switched temporarily to my casual black cotton skirt. I don't think anyone noticed, and I felt more comfortable. Cotton skirts all the way!

I also identified two holes in my wardrobe.

1) “Picnic on the grass” attire. I intend to do plenty of cross-legged sitting in the near future. Pants are too hot, my shorts are for hiking, my dresses are too short. I could use one of the following: a pair of "nice" shorts, a breezy maxi skirt, or breathable shorts to wear under dresses that don’t make me feel gross and sweaty which defeats the purpose of wearing a light summer dress in the first place. Or I could get over it and wear my ugly shorts.
2) Camisoles that aren’t themselves inappropriate.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
There have been mention of "work horses" for your wardrobes - the pieces you go to over and over - maybe the most comfortable, or basic, or match everything - What are the pieces for you?

For me it is a black cardigan - it is long and swingy. I don't actually love it, but it is warm and "goes with everything." It is getting a bit ragged now because it is 5 or 6 years old. I'd like to replace it with something warmer this winter.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »
This is for my winter wardrobe: For years I've always had a basic, black, cashmere jewel-neck pullover sweater. It seems to go with everything…from jeans to "good" bottoms for dressy occasions. I never dry clean it--when needed, I hand wash it and dry flat, or put it in the washer on a delicate cycle with Woolite. I've probably bought four of the same sweater over the years…when they pill too much, or get a hole or whatever, or just start looking too grungy from use, I recycle them into use as a long underwear top. Super comfortable under long tunics or casual dresses, or under bulky-knit sweaters if I am in really cold weather. I've even been known to sleep in the old ones, if the night is really cold. Definitely a work horse garment.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
There have been mention of "work horses" for your wardrobes - the pieces you go to over and over - maybe the most comfortable, or basic, or match everything - What are the pieces for you?

For me it is a black cardigan - it is long and swingy. I don't actually love it, but it is warm and "goes with everything." It is getting a bit ragged now because it is 5 or 6 years old. I'd like to replace it with something warmer this winter.

-Dark wash jeans with a little stretch in them.   Not quite skinny enough to be skinny jeans, but narrower than straight leg.

-Black leggings.

-A lemon yellow cardigan.   Sounds like an odd color to be a work-horse, but it seems to really go with everything.   Maybe I pair odd color combinations, but lemon yellow and pink, lemon yellow and green, lemon yellow and bright blue, lemon yellow and white, lemon yellow and navy...all great to me.

I just noticed that none of these items are in my summer wardrobe (although they all three are usually in spring, winter and fall).   Hmmm, I'm not sure if I have any summer work-horses.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »
+1 to dark jeans and black leggings. They take care of most of my pant needs throughout the year.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:48 AM »
I moved my "do not wear" items into the hard to reach corners of my closet (which is half of my closet…). I'm questioning how much I should keep right now, because almost everything is getting too big on me. History would tell me that in about 6-12 months, it will fit me again, and do I really want to buy new clothes when that happens? And then what about the clothing in my main capsule that doesn’t fit me so well? For example, my tan jacket that doesn’t have a good alternative.

I've drafted a 333 wardrobe, and I'll list that tomorrow with a picture. I made a pivot table, guys. Get excited.

I read part of the remixable wardrobe series on Putting Me Together, and decided to try belting a baggy but cute patterned shirt on Monday. It.. looked weird.

I've identified one essential piece that I can get rid of: my black work skirt. I got doggie paw prints all over it last week (WORTH IT), and switched temporarily to my casual black cotton skirt. I don't think anyone noticed, and I felt more comfortable. Cotton skirts all the way!

I also identified two holes in my wardrobe.

1) “Picnic on the grass” attire. I intend to do plenty of cross-legged sitting in the near future. Pants are too hot, my shorts are for hiking, my dresses are too short. I could use one of the following: a pair of "nice" shorts, a breezy maxi skirt, or breathable shorts to wear under dresses that don’t make me feel gross and sweaty which defeats the purpose of wearing a light summer dress in the first place. Or I could get over it and wear my ugly shorts.
2) Camisoles that aren’t themselves inappropriate.

Under summer dresses and skirts, I wear Jockey Slipshorts.  They are kind of like biker shorts, but a lighter, stretchier fabric.  Light and cool but provide modesty as well.  I tend to wear nude but if you want them to look intentional, rather than like your under garments are showing, they have some colored versions as well, which might work better for cross-legged picnicking. The Jockey website periodically has sales.  I think they are $20, but you can get them for less and while I don't usually put them in the dryer, they wash well. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
Those look like a good option, thanks Villanelle! I saw them on the Target website for $12, so I'll head there.

lise

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:45 AM »
re: workhorses for me

Summer: black linen v neck cardigan (J crew).  Its light enough to throw in my handbag and I can pull it out in over air-conditioned environments.  I've had the current one for 5 years and it's starting to get holes as well as being two sizes to big (fitted 5 years ago but I lost weight). So I'm going to buy another one this year in a neutral color (probably change it up from black).

Winter: Black trousers and Dark Jeans - I wear these every day from late fall through to early spring.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
My main workhorses are definitely my tank tops. They're appropriate on their own on sunny days, but more than anything, they go under everything. I'm tall, so most shirts can't be worn alone unless I want a little gap above my pants. So I wear these tanks under scrubs, sweaters, certain t-shirts, blouses, etc. I recently had to get some new ones- I was down to 3 and they're getting pretty worn down. I've been shocked how well they've held up though!

My other main workhorse is probably my black jeans- sorta skinny, so they work well alone or under boots.

And then of course my scrubs are my TRUE work horses, in that they are what I wear to work.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
Workhorse clothes:

Under it all - the right bra and underwear.  Can't stress enough how lovely it is to love your undergarments!  My undies are all black cotton, cause it breathes well and black doesn't stain.  I just hate yellowed underwear!

Dark blue and black boot cut jeans with a slight stretch.

A grey cardigan.  It's scoop neck and has a satin tie at the waist, I just love it with everything!  It will be a super sad day when it wears out!

Bright colored scoop neck t-shirts.

Comfortable plain shoes.  I have bone spurs in my feet, and if my feet aren't comfortable then I'll be grouchy all day.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »

Under it all - the right bra and underwear.  Can't stress enough how lovely it is to love your undergarments!  My undies are all black cotton, cause it breathes well and black doesn't stain.  I just hate yellowed underwear!

Never underestimate how miserable dysfunctional bra or panties can make someone! I agree that this may be the most important pieces in your wardrobe.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
Wool V-neck Ts in my three basic colors - mine are dying, they don't make that shirt any more (Icebreaker), and I'm lamenting searching for a replacement.  I wear them in all seasons and they are the core of my non dress clothing options. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
Really liked this today because I love pink - it is one of the best colors on me. Basically, I look best in colors you would find in an Easter basket. I wish that grey and tan looked better on me - I still wear them but tend towards washed out.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

For work, a few high-quality (but not too expensive) suits look like a much larger wardrobe when I wear different bright colours of cotton shells underneath. Jewelry helps there, too--I've worn the same pearls for three years, and they really make the difference between "business" and "you should give me your business." ;)

At home, I also go the cardigan route, though brown for me. I have one to dress down and one that's fairly nice, so the same dark jeans + tee can either be very casual or, with jewelry and flats, a bit nicer.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
The change of seasons really affects our wardrobes.  I have winter clothes, summer clothes, in between clothes, spring/fall jackets, winter coats, and then the back of the closer items for the -35C times.  Plus dress winter boots (for public outings), winter boots (regular life) and the Sorels (real winter boots).
And then 6 months later I can go through 3 tops in one day, because I am so hot and sweaty.  I don't know how pioneer women survived summers here.

I did a clothing count and purge this year and wrote about it on my blog.
Then soon after that I moved and quit my job, so I got rid of my least favourite work clothes, but bought a few new things as well. I need to go through everything again. I'm so confused about clothes and what I should be wearing. The hardest part for me is having the extreme seasons and having to wear so many layers. So in the summer I go through shirts quickly from sweating and in the winter I'm wearing 3 or 4 layers before my winter coat. And I may have to go back to laundromat washing so then you need more clothes. But I yearn to be a minimalist.
http://www.moneytipscanada.ca/clothing-count-2015/
Here's my blog post if you're interested.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
The change of seasons really affects our wardrobes.  I have winter clothes, summer clothes, in between clothes, spring/fall jackets, winter coats, and then the back of the closer items for the -35C times.  Plus dress winter boots (for public outings), winter boots (regular life) and the Sorels (real winter boots).
And then 6 months later I can go through 3 tops in one day, because I am so hot and sweaty.  I don't know how pioneer women survived summers here.

They stank, of course. :-)

jluntp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
Thought I'd jump in since I've been working at this for almost three years now. It's been a slow process since I've gone through two pregnancies in that time, but the more you work at it the easier it gets. I've done several closet clear-outs and purges, and still find I have something to get rid of after every season. But instead of it being 5 or 6 things, it's now maybe 1 or 2.

I saw a few mention not being ready to try Project 333, so I thought I'd offer the solution of trying a 30 in 30. A lot of fashion bloggers do them so it's easy to find examples of how to make it work for you. You get to pick 30 pieces to wear for 30 days. Everything else is off limits (so box it up and/or move it out of sight) until the 30 days are over.  Some people include shoes, undershirts, workout clothes etc. some don't. The idea though is that you create 30 different outfits from the pieces you've chosen. It definitely will test your current wardrobe and help you figure out pieces that do/don't work for you. I've done it a couple of times and it helped me figure out how to wear certain items "better" and that some items I thought I loved really were not for me.

I've combined doing a 30 in 30 with a Pinterest board, and will pin items I wished I had while doing the 30 in 30. If I see reoccurring items on the board, then that's when I start looking for the pieces in stores. Nothing gets bought unless it's been on the board several times! (or if I'm looking for a replacement piece) It's been a good rule for me :) 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2015, 07:06:17 AM »
I did a mondo session yesterday with a camera timer and my three top layers mixed with each base outfit. I made an Excel crosstab for all of the combinations to identify any top layers that were poor team players. I still need to take photos with my alternates. I tried to attach some of the photos but they wouldn't go through, so in lieu of those, I wrote out the details below.

Lessons (re)learned:
  • I look best in dresses with defined waists
  • My green belted dress looks surprisingly fantastic with a maroon sweater
  • My standard work tops are the least flattering things in my capsule (no defined waist, hint hint)
  • I need a free/cheap alternative to the tan jacket that goes with everything in theory, but is baggy and shapeless in reality. Maybe I'll arrange a clothing swap among friends.

Primary Capsule (26 items):
  • 6 dresses: 2 summery, 4 that can go work and casual
  • 1 skirt: work and casual
  • 8 tops: 3 work tops, 5 casual/camisoles/work tops only in emergencies
  • 2 pairs of shoes: sneakers, blue flats kept at work
  • 3 top layers: tan jacket, polka dot cardigan, maroon sweater
  • 1 scarf kept at work
  • 1 pair of black tights
  • 1 backpack
  • 2 pairs of sunglasses for work and home
  • 1 bathing suit

Alternates (5 items):
  • 3 dresses: 1 that can be work and casual, 2 that are fancy and will never be worn unless I get a last-minute wedding invite
  • 1 pair of jeans
  • 1 top: fancy-ish, could use in the office if needed

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
I am finding all this very interesting.  I have always had trouble with owning too many patterns.  I really like patterns, top and bottom.  But obviously they are not a great choice for a capsule wardrobe.  I find solid summer skirts tend to get stains etc and so prints hide that sort of thing.  Has anyone dealt with this problem?  I am veering towards print skirts only but under duress.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »
Another vote for Into Mind. I herd of the site on these forums and I find her tools very helpful. There are lots of helpful bits in the posts about silhouettes and signature style.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
I was thinking more of fainting from the heat.  At least they had summer kitchens.

I'm sure everyone stank after working in the heat!  And the ladies more so, since they probably had more difficulty jumping in the nearest creek/farm pond to cool off. 

I actually find a loose dress cooler than shorts and a T, but at Upper Canada Village the women have very snug bodices and sleeves, not cool at all.  Snug sleeves are probably a good idea, so they don't catch their sleeves on fire while cooking.

They stank, of course. :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
I do medieval reenactment.  In August in Pennsylvania.  It can often get close to 100 degrees and 90% humidity, and we're wearing full length skirts and long sleeved shirts, often 2 or more layers!  I can tell you that it's not really much hotter in all that than it is in shorts and a halter top, plus you don't have as much skin exposed to get sunburned.  The key is fabrics.  Cottons and linens breathe well.  Skirts, even up to medium weight, have very good airflow so your legs remain reasonably comfortable.

I will admit that a bodice can get pretty uncomfortable in the heat because sweat builds up under it.  Loose tunics are better for days like that.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
Today's uniform - sweater (previously seen), white shell under sweater (its going to be in the 90s today), patterned pants - new to this thread. They go w/a lot of different colors. As with last week I am going to try to wear the same pants all week w/ different tops. I feel this is a bit harder than w/ solid color pants.

Pretty happy w/ how this came together - mostly because I like pink sweaters :P

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
Nice outfit MsPeacock. 

I do agree, however, that it may be difficult to wear the same pair of pants all week - they are very nice but rather distinctive.  Would it make sense to do it on a 2 week basis and have two pairs of pants to switch back and forth instead?

I am also wearing my "uniform" look today.  Black narrow pants, black flats, patterned shell and a longish cardigan.  Very comfortable and easy. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
Nice outfit MsPeacock. 

I do agree, however, that it may be difficult to wear the same pair of pants all week - they are very nice but rather distinctive.  Would it make sense to do it on a 2 week basis and have two pairs of pants to switch back and forth instead?

I am also wearing my "uniform" look today.  Black narrow pants, black flats, patterned shell and a longish cardigan.  Very comfortable and easy.

My work week is only 3 days this week... otherwise, yes - I'd have to alternate or something.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
Monkey Jenga, let me know if you arrange a swap!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »
Monkey Jenga, let me know if you arrange a swap!

You spurred me to action. I'll be hosting a swap sometime in June. Fill out your availability in this doodle poll so I can nail down a date: http://doodle.com/eiv57wqf345c634g

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
Work outfit - day 2 on the pants. Old denim shirt and dressy necklace. Works well enough.

I have to "dress up" more tomorrow because I am getting a very important recognition certificate (or something). So I have to be extra presentable. I'll probably have to swap out my plan to wear these pants all week for something a little dressier.

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
First - I love you ladies and have been following this thread religiously.  I also read the Put Me Together remixable wardrobe and Into the Mind blog, which has given me a lot to think about.  I was stressing over which color palette to choose for the last week, but now I think I just need to stop analyzing and start doing!  Putting together a capsule like I'm packing for a trip (since I always pack light) has been a helpful way for me to think about it.  I now have my Friday off task - wish me luck!  Any advice on color choice for skin tone etc would still be appreciated though :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
I sewed my first button today! And now I have another usable dress. Why I put off for months something that took 4 minutes to do, I'll never know.

I made an album out of my capsule basics (and a thrilling array of poses) for anyone who's curious: [Removed for paranoid privacy reasons]

The blue dress with the flap hanging off one shoulder was photographed before I discovered my secret reserve of sewing amazingness.

First - I love you ladies and have been following this thread religiously.  I also read the Put Me Together remixable wardrobe and Into the Mind blog, which has given me a lot to think about.  I was stressing over which color palette to choose for the last week, but now I think I just need to stop analyzing and start doing!  Putting together a capsule like I'm packing for a trip (since I always pack light) has been a helpful way for me to think about it.  I now have my Friday off task - wish me luck!  Any advice on color choice for skin tone etc would still be appreciated though :)

Luck! What is your skin tone? Not that I'm any sort of expert.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:23:33 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
Why I put off for months something that took 4 minutes to do, I'll never know.

I know right?

I made an album out of my capsule basics (and a thrilling array of poses) for anyone who's curious: http://imgur.com/a/pFtwh

You're right about the purple sweater and green dress! Looks awesome.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2015, 11:32:20 PM »
You're right about the purple sweater and green dress! Looks awesome.

Yesss.... Thank you, and thank you to this thread for catalyzing this discovery. You're the Rosalind Franklin to my Crick and Watson.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:18 AM »

That definitely sounds like an outfit I would wear. I am thinking about buying some grey basics as well as I wear so much black.:D

I need some more flats, I bought a couple of pairs but they were a pinky colour and the other pair was gold. I don't know what I was thinking with those colour choices! Lol. I think I need a brown and a black pair as they would go with everything.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2015, 04:53:33 AM »
I sewed my first button today! And now I have another usable dress. Why I put off for months something that took 4 minutes to do, I'll never know.

I made an album out of my capsule basics (and a thrilling array of poses) for anyone who's curious: http://imgur.com/a/pFtwh

The blue dress with the flap hanging off one shoulder was photographed before I discovered my secret reserve of sewing amazingness.

Luck! What is your skin tone? Not that I'm any sort of expert.

Lovely! Thank you for posting. I agree - the green dress and purple sweater combo is awesome.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »
Another day, same outfit from last week or so, but with dressier shoes. I love these pants - very comfortable and a little 'edgy' to my eyes.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2015, 05:27:23 AM »
As we are making progress forward on our capsule/minimalist wardrobes:

What items did you use to love that you've now parted ways with?

Anything you used to swear by and maybe love that you've let go of - for whatever reason? Any particular items or style of items?

For me I think, it is letting go of some of the aspiration of fashionista or something. Not that I was an actual fashionista - but the idea of putting energy and time into having a wide variety of clothing and having something 'interesting' to wear every day. It required a lot of shopping and a lot of time thinking about my clothing. And, frankly, I do look better in these simple pieces - I feel more comfortable and they suit me. Physically I got rid of a lot of clothing, although I still have a ton of stuff (and I suspect about another 50% will ultimately go once I accept that I am really not going to wear those items again - something about the remaining pieces still calls to me). I would say I am also working on letting go of a lot of my costume jewelry. I plan to go through it this weekend and then bring it into work and see if anyone would like to claim any of it (which is what I did with all my scarves and they all quickly found new homes).

I am still *firmly* attached to navy blue long sleeved shirts with white stripes. I think I have 4 w/ some variety of buttons. They look great on me and good w/ jeans or dress pants.... I should give away all my other 'casual' shirts and just stick w/ these.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2015, 06:38:34 AM »
Just now joining this thread.   Love what I'm reading.    Just yesterday I took some items to Goodwill that I had hung on to for way too long  One was a lovely but conservative blouse that required dry cleaning.   Gone.  Also a pair of boots that I loved but hurt my feet.  They were burgundy and I always got compliments but I can't face putting them back on again.   

I did look around after dropping off my stuff and found a couple of items to pick up.   A black and gray sweater that is an exclusive Nordstrom brand (would retail for well over $100) and a Banana Republic black jeans skirt.  I got both of them for $13.48.

My basic uniform is skirts.   The only pants I have are jeans or exercise type.   I also have a bunch of tank tops in various colors so I can then layer a sweater or jacket over the top.    Things that I no longer buy or keep are sweater tops (too hot) and nice pants.