Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211546 times)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

I'd check out asos.com -- there should be a lot of less girly/more moderist options there.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

I'd check out asos.com -- there should be a lot of less girly/more moderist options there.

Maybe check Boden (bodenusa.com) - they always seem to have nice dresses that are more European in style.  I haven't bought anything from them but they always have good reviews as to quality.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache

Calvin Klein makes nice dresses - modern, not frilly. Often machine washable. I see them pretty frequently at Nordstrom rack or TJ Maxx. IDK if they fit you sense of style,  but they don't seem "girly" to me in the way I think of it. I am attaching a picture of a fairly standard sort of Calvin Klein dress.

I can't be the only other one here who looks rediculous in frilly stuff. It has never worked for me - not that I don't like the aesthetics (occasionally), but it looks so ridiculously out of place on me physically.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #703 on: January 06, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
Depending on how often you have a need to dress up, you might keep an eye out for a formal skirt.  When paired with a white button down, it's very stylish and yet can still be appropriate for a formal occasion.  Maybe it's not something you care much about, but I feel very disrespectful if not dressed appropriately, and I feel self-conscious which make my introversion worse.  This would only add one piece to your wardrobe but it would play well with other things you own. 

Depending on your taste it could be full (probably looks the most formal) or fitted.  They key would be to get it in a formal, dressy fabric like taffeta, sequins, etc.

Love that skirt! I've never seen anything like it in the stores - admittedly never really looked for something like it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Here are photos of the two American Giant t-shirts. I am going to Florida next weekend so I will get to try them out. These aren't great picture, and these are plain t-shirts. The photos on their website are pretty accurate.

The city sweatshirt has been laundered and came through unshrunk, just as the hoodie and sweatpants did.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:24:34 AM by MsPeacock »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
I am joining this thread! I'm in a major wardrobe transition (as noted on my journal linked below) and could use some mustachian inspiration!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
This thread is making me wish I could buy American Giant here :-(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache

Instead of American Giant, you should be able to get Australian Megafauna.

...sorry, there are very few instances where I can make a zoology joke. I *had* to take the opportunity.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

...sorry, there are very few instances where I can make a zoology joke. I *had* to take the opportunity.

Unfortunately we killed our megafauna via hunting and destroying their environment :-( humans, huh? We're awesome.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache

Unfortunately we killed our megafauna via hunting and destroying their environment :-( humans, huh? We're awesome.

Not all of them! You still have kangaroos and cassowary and goannas and stuff! (Can you tell I would love to visit?)

Sorry for derailing the thread so substantially everyone!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

Not all of them! You still have kangaroos and cassowary and goannas and stuff! (Can you tell I would love to visit?)

Sorry for derailing the thread so substantially everyone!

Oh no, we used to have REAL megafauna. Wombats the size of small cars... so, so cool.

Come visit, and visit me :-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Welcome monstermonster and happierathome!

I am posting a link to Buy It Once. It doesn't help at all with getting an organized approach to a wardrobe. However, it is very mustachian in the sense that the clothing is meant to last, and generally comes with lifetime warranties. American Giant and Patagonia are both featured, as well as others. The website has undoubtedly been featured elsewhere on these forums as well.

https://www.buy-it-once.com/

Is anyone else here doing the no-buy clothing for January?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Oh, I've been posting in this thread for pages and pages already. I must not be memorable until I rant about megafauna ;-)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
I am posting a link to Buy It Once. It doesn't help at all with getting an organized approach to a wardrobe. However, it is very mustachian in the sense that the clothing is meant to last, and generally comes with lifetime warranties. American Giant and Patagonia are both featured, as well as others. The website has undoubtedly been featured elsewhere on these forums as well.

I didn't buy any clothing for all of 2016, so January I'm resetting.

I don't see any clothing on Buy it Once except socks & belts - do they list other clothing items?

I really recommend this post by Into-Mind on "how to assess quality of garments" - great if you're not a sewer or otherwise technical about fabric for figuring out if the expensive shit you're buying is expensive because it's quality or because it has a brand name attached.

I generally only acquire vintage clothing that's quality (wool suits, etc) in an effort to not have my clothes wear out. Doesn't hurt that's I'm very petite so vintage clothes have a better chance of fitting me. Having a super-professional wardrobe (public speaking & politics/fundraising are my two core functions) while also still biking everywhere in heels can be really hard on clothing - and it's essential for me to get natural fabrics so I don't smell when I arrive! Quality is so important :-)

afuera

• Pencil Stache

I don't see any clothing on Buy it Once except socks & belts - do they list other clothing items?

I really recommend this post by Into-Mind on "how to assess quality of garments" - great if you're not a sewer or otherwise technical about fabric for figuring out if the expensive shit you're buying is expensive because it's quality or because it has a brand name attached.

I generally only acquire vintage clothing that's quality (wool suits, etc) in an effort to not have my clothes wear out. Doesn't hurt that's I'm very petite so vintage clothes have a better chance of fitting me. Having a super-professional wardrobe (public speaking & politics/fundraising are my two core functions) while also still biking everywhere in heels can be really hard on clothing - and it's essential for me to get natural fabrics so I don't smell when I arrive! Quality is so important :-)
MM, Thank you for this!!  This is where I struggle, trying to determine if something is high quality or not.  I've spent more money than I would like to admit on clothes from Target that get stretched, faded, and pilly within a few wears.  That link is so helpful!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Love this thread! I'm currently pregnant and am doing a capsule wardrobe of tops and pants that fit my growing body along with cardigans and jackets and that I already had. Love the ease of capsule wardrobe so much so that I'm thinking I'll do the same once bub is out.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks for the link! Great article.

Buy it once appears to have removed their clothing listings. I didn't search around to see if there was any explanation. Weird.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Oh, I've been posting in this thread for pages and pages already. I must not be memorable until I rant about megafauna ;-)

So sorry! I am terrible about not noticing poster names!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

So sorry! I am terrible about not noticing poster names!

I will never forgive you. This is the start of an epic forum feud.

:-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Here is a quick little picture off my sweater drawer.  The ones on the left are cotton summer weight and a couple casual non-work sweaters.  The rest are mostly all season.  Purged a couple excess thus morning. Loving the colors I have now. Everything goes with the black, grey, or tan pants I usually wear. 

Outside of work wardrobe is still a work in progress.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #720 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:57 AM »
I'm late to the party (took too long staring at my closet trying to decide what to wear ;-)) but I'm here.

I'm starting to plan a spring/summer/early fall capsule since we keep having bouts of unseasonably warm weather here in Virginia. My struggle is this: I stay home with my toddler son and I don't like "mom clothes". Leggings are fine for working out, but not my jam for regular wear. I managed to purge my cold weather wardrobe to the point that I'm happy with it (i have only a 3 item wish list of things I would have liked to add this year that I'm saving for next fall) but casual warm weather wear is my downfall.

I default to shorts and a plain, solid tank top or tshirt, but end up feeling a little sloppy, especially when it gets pair with flip flops. I like sundresses but they need to be long enough to allow some ease of movement in kid-chasing.

What suggestions do you all have? Tops that have more detail than a plain tshirt? Accessories? Knee length skirts instead of shorts? Just buy 5 more knee length sundresses and call it good?

Ebrat

• Stubble
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #721 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
I'm late to the party (took too long staring at my closet trying to decide what to wear ;-)) but I'm here.

I'm starting to plan a spring/summer/early fall capsule since we keep having bouts of unseasonably warm weather here in Virginia. My struggle is this: I stay home with my toddler son and I don't like "mom clothes". Leggings are fine for working out, but not my jam for regular wear. I managed to purge my cold weather wardrobe to the point that I'm happy with it (i have only a 3 item wish list of things I would have liked to add this year that I'm saving for next fall) but casual warm weather wear is my downfall.

I default to shorts and a plain, solid tank top or tshirt, but end up feeling a little sloppy, especially when it gets pair with flip flops. I like sundresses but they need to be long enough to allow some ease of movement in kid-chasing.

What suggestions do you all have? Tops that have more detail than a plain tshirt? Accessories? Knee length skirts instead of shorts? Just buy 5 more knee length sundresses and call it good?

I'm a big fan of patterned shorts (or pants) with a plain t-shirt. Just feels more fun to me than a patterned shirt with plain shorts. Of course, the shorts stand out, so people probably notice that I wear them a lot, but I love them, so I don't care :) My favorites are a floral pair from Gap. Land's End has lots of fun patterns, too.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »

I'm a big fan of patterned shorts (or pants) with a plain t-shirt. Just feels more fun to me than a patterned shirt with plain shorts. Of course, the shorts stand out, so people probably notice that I wear them a lot, but I love them, so I don't care :) My favorites are a floral pair from Gap. Land's End has lots of fun patterns, too.

Oh, I like that idea! I need new shorts anyway and I have plenty of solid tshirts. I'll keep an eye out at thrift stores.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #723 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
Or you might consider skorts. Athleta makes some really nice ones that look polished with just a tshirt or tank on top.

MsPeacock: how are those American Giant shirts working out for you? Contemplating buying a few for spring.

MoneyMage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:32 AM »
I'm late to the party too! But I recently started looking into doing capsule wardrobes for myself I even found a couple of apps that help, though I'm not sure they're necessary. :D

First step: PURGE
I just purged FIVE BAGS of clothes! (Grocery bags) - This was stuff I had from high school, things I'll never wear again even if I can fit into them. I'm happy to have cleared them out of my closet!

Inventory & Style analysis
What do I have, and what do I wear a lot? I have moved my favorite clothes to the most accessible positions and moved everything else farther back.

My style: casual mom wear with a cosplay/geek twist
- solid color tunics + printed leggings (some look like armor) ... for casual outings, conventions
- geek t-shirt + slacks/jeans/cargo pants + jacket or blazer ... for church, casual or a little more conservative outings
- work-out/lounge clothes like jogger pants, yoga pants, tank tops, athletic shirts
- I also have random trendy outfits and dresses for when I want to look a little nicer. I usually avoid these clothes if I can!
- shoes are TOMS, ankle boots, running shoes (NB, Nike), and a couple pairs of knee-high/riding boots (for when I want to feel like a Jedi). And some nice flat sandals. I have assorted heels too but those don't get worn.

I bagged up all my maternity clothes and work clothes because I don't need them any more but I haven't gotten rid of those yet (just in case)! (Tip: Target has my favorite maternity clothes! The long stretchy tank tops are AMAZING, my favorite, great for all year round and the only thing that will fit in the last few weeks, plus you can still wear them after birth and they are easy to nurse in too. I swear I bought at least 5 of them and still wear them.)

My problem is my scale broke about a month or two ago and as a result I haven't been weighing myself every morning so I gained 10 lbs (whoops!) and now I don't have many pants that fit. I actually bought a pair of size 18 with an elastic waist (overcompensating, much?) but they try to fall off so I guess I'm still a 16, and at least my XL leggings still fit! But I'm also trying to hold back on buying things because Spring isn't here yet, it's still snowing outside and it seems silly to buy winter clothes at this point but also useless to buy Spring already. I think the one thing I'm tempted to splurge on for quality is really comfy lounging pants, like joggers or maybe even a cotton or linen blend; has to wear well, go with everything, and be something I can wear out of the house. Difficult to look around though with two toddlers in tow.

So anyway, next step is getting rid of this snowy weather so I can clear out the winter clothes and reassess my closet to build a Spring capsule. Honestly, I hate Spring, it's all pastels that wash me out. Give me a Fall wardrobe all year round and I'd be happy. :D Winter's not bad either, I'm a Winter, jewel tones are my favorite.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
Or you might consider skorts. Athleta makes some really nice ones that look polished with just a tshirt or tank on top.

MsPeacock: how are those American Giant shirts working out for you? Contemplating buying a few for spring.

So far, so good. I haven't worn them too much yet since we are still (sort of) wintery. The lightweight shirt has actually held up really nicely so far. There are similar seeming thin shirts from Target but they always end up all twisted once they are washed and the trim around the neck openings sort of collapses and gets all wavy and sad looking. That has not been the case with the American Giant shirt - it didn't shrink at all and looks exactly the same after washing as it did when new.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:08 AM »
I'm late to the party too! But I recently started looking into doing capsule wardrobes for myself I even found a couple of apps that help, though I'm not sure they're necessary. :D

First step: PURGE
I just purged FIVE BAGS of clothes! (Grocery bags) - This was stuff I had from high school, things I'll never wear again even if I can fit into them. I'm happy to have cleared them out of my closet!

Inventory & Style analysis
What do I have, and what do I wear a lot? I have moved my favorite clothes to the most accessible positions and moved everything else farther back.

My style: casual mom wear with a cosplay/geek twist
- solid color tunics + printed leggings (some look like armor) ... for casual outings, conventions
- geek t-shirt + slacks/jeans/cargo pants + jacket or blazer ... for church, casual or a little more conservative outings
- work-out/lounge clothes like jogger pants, yoga pants, tank tops, athletic shirts
- I also have random trendy outfits and dresses for when I want to look a little nicer. I usually avoid these clothes if I can!
- shoes are TOMS, ankle boots, running shoes (NB, Nike), and a couple pairs of knee-high/riding boots (for when I want to feel like a Jedi). And some nice flat sandals. I have assorted heels too but those don't get worn.

I bagged up all my maternity clothes and work clothes because I don't need them any more but I haven't gotten rid of those yet (just in case)! (Tip: Target has my favorite maternity clothes! The long stretchy tank tops are AMAZING, my favorite, great for all year round and the only thing that will fit in the last few weeks, plus you can still wear them after birth and they are easy to nurse in too. I swear I bought at least 5 of them and still wear them.)

My problem is my scale broke about a month or two ago and as a result I haven't been weighing myself every morning so I gained 10 lbs (whoops!) and now I don't have many pants that fit. I actually bought a pair of size 18 with an elastic waist (overcompensating, much?) but they try to fall off so I guess I'm still a 16, and at least my XL leggings still fit! But I'm also trying to hold back on buying things because Spring isn't here yet, it's still snowing outside and it seems silly to buy winter clothes at this point but also useless to buy Spring already. I think the one thing I'm tempted to splurge on for quality is really comfy lounging pants, like joggers or maybe even a cotton or linen blend; has to wear well, go with everything, and be something I can wear out of the house. Difficult to look around though with two toddlers in tow.

So anyway, next step is getting rid of this snowy weather so I can clear out the winter clothes and reassess my closet to build a Spring capsule. Honestly, I hate Spring, it's all pastels that wash me out. Give me a Fall wardrobe all year round and I'd be happy. :D Winter's not bad either, I'm a Winter, jewel tones are my favorite.

Welcome! Isn't it satisfying to purge out the excess clothing?

I am still purging clothes - did another round of things that I didn't get rid of with the first work clothing purge. Probably a few more things that I'll let go of - they are in that "well, I might wear in with X thing one day and....." category. Meaning, I haven't really worn it recently and am ambivalent about it.

Someone earlier posted a suggestion of patterned shorts and I think I may pick up one pair for this summer. Everything else I have is workout clothing (I need a few more pairs of running shorts once it warms up). Otherwise, no planned clothing purchases except for things that wear out.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

So far, so good. I haven't worn them too much yet since we are still (sort of) wintery. The lightweight shirt has actually held up really nicely so far. There are similar seeming thin shirts from Target but they always end up all twisted once they are washed and the trim around the neck openings sort of collapses and gets all wavy and sad looking. That has not been the case with the American Giant shirt - it didn't shrink at all and looks exactly the same after washing as it did when new.
Thanks for the update!  I plan on purchasing new t-shirts from American Giant after I wear through my current collection.  I'm still obsessed with my AG sweatshirt, and it still looks brand new even though I wear it (and wash it) a lot.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks for the update!  I plan on purchasing new t-shirts from American Giant after I wear through my current collection.  I'm still obsessed with my AG sweatshirt, and it still looks brand new even though I wear it (and wash it) a lot.

I keep seeing adds for their new pant/leggging and I want it badly!  If it really is everything they say then it's worth the price tag, but I'm used to goodwill pricing so it's hard to swallow!

tyrannostache

• Bristles
Love this thread! I'm currently pregnant and am doing a capsule wardrobe of tops and pants that fit my growing body along with cardigans and jackets and that I already had. Love the ease of capsule wardrobe so much so that I'm thinking I'll do the same once bub is out.

firelight, I've been having the same experience. I have a very minimal pregnancy wardrobe, and I'm really enjoying the ease of it. I barely have to think at all when I get dressed in the morning. I'm definitely inspired to continue in the same vein. I've already packed up a bunch of excess items to make room for the maternity clothes, and I'm thinking I'll take an hour or two to sort and then donate or sell most of them.

It feels so good to get rid of the clutter! I'm very much looking forward to unloading the maternity items I've been keeping since kid #1 (this one, #2, is definitely our last).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

I keep seeing adds for their new pant/leggging and I want it badly!  If it really is everything they say then it's worth the price tag, but I'm used to goodwill pricing so it's hard to swallow!
I understand.  My hoodie was a gift.  However, I don't like to shop, so I like things to last as long as possible.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache

I understand.  My hoodie was a gift.  However, I don't like to shop, so I like things to last as long as possible.

I have to say that I choked a bit on the price - and the hoodie that I got from them was a gift - but that sold me on other items from them. I have two pairs of sweatpants (which look as sloppy as any other sweatpants, but hopefully will hold up better), two t-shirts, and the (awesome) city sweatshirt. Other than the t-shirts, which I haven't worn much due to it being winter, I wear the heck out of the other items.

They did have a "black Friday" sale after T-day with greatly reduced prices on a number of closeout colors. It would be a good time to try a few of their items and save some money.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
Hi! I haven't posted in this thread before, but was reading occasionally to get some tips from everyone. A friend of mine just wrote a book on Marilyn Monroe, and this excerpt reminded me of this thread!

http://www.vogue.com/article/marilyn-monroe-style-makeover-biography-elizabeth-winder

Apparently Marilyn had a hard time with her capsule wardrobe, too. 

marion10

• Bristles
Because I am tall ( and now have a bit if of a pouch),I have hard time finding pants that fit. I wear JJill Wearever pants most of the time- they may be a little too casual for many offices- but comfortable and work for me. I also have two pairs of pull on pants from them in a stiffer fabric that is a little dressier. Pants, shell, flowy jacket and an infinity scarf is my office uniform 99 percent of time in colder weather. Warmer weather. JJill dress - I have a black one from Wearever that I probably wear 2-3 times a week with an infinity scarf and maybe a jacket.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Damn you all, now I want a bunch of $25-$36 t-shirts. I own only 2 T-shirts. One is from my work and I wear it when I work Sundays. The other, the XFP got it for free at a school event like 3 years ago. It has stains and a rip in the armpit.

Silkspin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This is a long thread and I didn't get a chance to review it all, but what helped me with my style was by accidentally finding a website called "dressing your truth" by a lady named Carol Tuttle. I saw a quiz I think, and there are 4 'types' that each correspond with colours and styles. And it was eerily accurate! You can actually shop the site too. I realized that I like certain styles, but they don't suit me so I must like them on others/ from afar. That has helped with not buying stuff that just doesn't look right, even though I like it!

The other thing that helped was Marie Kondo's Magic of Tidying up. I went through everything, and purged all that I didn't love or didn't fit. Then I rolled everything, and miraculously, the system does work! I do have to 'reset' once in a while when I have a busy stint and get lazy about putting clothes away but it really helped overall and I have no more "clothes mountain"!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Damn you all, now I want a bunch of $25-$36 t-shirts. I own only 2 T-shirts. One is from my work and I wear it when I work Sundays. The other, the XFP got it for free at a school event like 3 years ago. It has stains and a rip in the armpit.
I don't understand how an adult human only has two t-shirts.  I have ~30, and I get rid of a LOT of them (and that doesn't include my ~15 dry-fit shirts that I work out in or my 10 long sleeve t-shirts).  T-shirts and reusable shopping bags are thrown at me.  I'm trying to get better at saying no to free things.

I should admit that I wear a t-shirt and jeans to work every day (scientist for the win), so I do purchase solid t-shirts in a flattering cut.  My last t-shirt purchase was 10 Madewell v-neck t-shirts (shown below) on clearance (I paid $88 for 10). 
Right now, I'm wearing the t-shirts with a fleece (like a winter one), but I would prefer a cardigan.  However, I can't find a cardigan that is warm enough.  Any advice?

In warm weather, I am apparently you (except that I work at home and bike around a lot, so sometimes shorts and/or skirts). I visit thrift stores a few times/year and pick up cashmere or merino (because I don't find either to be itchy) sweaters to wear over my v-neck t-shirts. I like v-neck sweaters (and they look semi-civilized), but it's also possible to find other shapes (cardigans, cool wrap sweaters, whatever). I go to goodwill, or someplace large, and walk along the sweater racks running my hands over the shoulders -- pretty quickly you can feel for a material you'd be willing to wear. Then I pull it out and check for color (I only wear three or four) and then try on for size. Bonus -- they're pre-shrunk!

I also have a couple of fleece tops that look less casual, and sometimes wear those. For really cold days, I sprung for a baby alpaca sweater that is too warm to wear indoors most days of winter.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
I don't understand how an adult human only has two t-shirts.  I have ~30, and I get rid of a LOT of them (and that doesn't include my ~15 dry-fit shirts that I work out in or my 10 long sleeve t-shirts).  T-shirts and reusable shopping bags are thrown at me.  I'm trying to get better at saying no to free things.

I should admit that I wear a t-shirt and jeans to work every day (scientist for the win), so I do purchase solid t-shirts in a flattering cut.  My last t-shirt purchase was 10 Madewell v-neck t-shirts (shown below) on clearance (I paid $88 for 10). 
Right now, I'm wearing the t-shirts with a fleece (like a winter one), but I would prefer a cardigan.  However, I can't find a cardigan that is warm enough.  Any advice?

In warm weather, I am apparently you (except that I work at home and bike around a lot, so sometimes shorts and/or skirts). I visit thrift stores a few times/year and pick up cashmere or merino (because I don't find either to be itchy) sweaters to wear over my v-neck t-shirts. I like v-neck sweaters (and they look semi-civilized), but it's also possible to find other shapes (cardigans, cool wrap sweaters, whatever). I go to goodwill, or someplace large, and walk along the sweater racks running my hands over the shoulders -- pretty quickly you can feel for a material you'd be willing to wear. Then I pull it out and check for color (I only wear three or four) and then try on for size. Bonus -- they're pre-shrunk!

I also have a couple of fleece tops that look less casual, and sometimes wear those. For really cold days, I sprung for a baby alpaca sweater that is too warm to wear indoors most days of winter.
I have lovely cardigans from a thrift shop (both wool and cashmere, but no alpaca), but they're not warm enough.  My offices are air conditioned to the extreme, and I run cold.  I'm willing to buy something new if I can find something warm enough, but I don't go to stores.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache

I have lovely cardigans from a thrift shop (both wool and cashmere, but no alpaca), but they're not warm enough.  My offices are air conditioned to the extreme, and I run cold.  I'm willing to buy something new if I can find something warm enough, but I don't go to stores.

Maybe you need a warm hidden base layer?  With the right undershirt you could keep the same year round visible wardrobe.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

Maybe you need a warm hidden base layer?  With the right undershirt you could keep the same year round visible wardrobe.
That might work in the winter.*  But I would get too warm outside during the summer. 

*I have started looking into undershirts.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Have you seen those huge scarves that are practically blankets?  That's my office scarf, it lives on my chair at work and keeps me warm when my clothes fail.

I also wear fingerless mittens, keeps my hands and wrists warm while still allowing me to use my fingers typing.  I actually made these out of a cashmere sweater that I didn't like the cut of.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Have you seen those huge scarves that are practically blankets?  That's my office scarf, it lives on my chair at work and keeps me warm when my clothes fail.

I also wear fingerless mittens, keeps my hands and wrists warm while still allowing me to use my fingers typing.  I actually made these out of a cashmere sweater that I didn't like the cut of.

I had one like that. Now that I seem to be hitting menopause I am always too hot.

Anyhow - it was a big grey knit wrap from target and it actually looked quite nice and I could drape it around me several different ways.

I also found it helpful to keep a heating pad on my chair at work.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Just a quick check in to see how everyone's wardrobe project is going. I'm wearing the same things from the start, although I have ditched cardigans in favor of v neck sweaters. Made the recent decision to stop buying any grey tops because it is a horrible color on me. I have one or two grey sweaters that I will see out and not replace. Every time I wear grey people ask if I am sick or had a bad night and didn't sleep. Navy blue will be the go to neutral.

The American giant shirts are holding up well. Everything from them is holding up well.  Their premium t-shirt with the seam on the back looks nice, but the seam is actually uncomfortable when you are sitting back in a chair. Too bad because the fabric and drape are super nice. My back is fairly boney so it may be less of a problem for people with more padding. The city sweatshirt is amazing and looks fantastic despite many wearing same runs through the wash. The clothes absolutely don't shrink.

Today: express pants - old.  White shirt - forever21 - old. Striped shirt -H&M - old.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:42:16 AM by MsPeacock »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks for the update on the AG t-shirts, MsPeacock.  I'm still going through my current stockpile of Madewell t-shirts.

I found a great "sweater" fleece thing from Patagonia that I think will look nice over my t-shirts at work AND keep me super warm.  However, it's $130 new.  I'm looking for a used alternative or possibly a sale (summer?). 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
With the weather being a little more even keel now (please no more ice storms!) I've settled into a nice clothes routine. Admittedly, it's not as elegant and polished as I like to pretend I secretly am, but it fits with my lifestyle a lot better.

Most days, I just do a combo of black yoga capris, + a colored v neck t-shirt. If it's cold I add a zip-up hoodie. If it's hot, I switch the capris for shorts. And I have a pair of leather sandals I've been wearing for most things.

I already had all these clothes pretty much, too. I think the big things has just been giving myself permission to wear the same basic uniform and not be fancy. I wore basically this outfit a lot before, but I felt bad about it, like it was giving up and I should "do better". I guess giving yourself permission can be a pretty powerful thing!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Long time lurker in this thread, popping in to thank you all. Like Bracken_Joy, I've given myself permission to wear the stuff I like, and I have cleaned out my closet and dresser to the point where I can easily see and reach everything  -- and most of what I have is what I like! (there are a few things hanging out that I'm still deciding on...).  Like many folks here, it's V-neck sweaters (I seem to have an endless supply of cashmere or merino V-necks from local thrift stores) with the occasional warmer sweater, V-neck short-sleeved shirts, 5 pairs of pants I alternate, a bunch of shorts (I work from home). I love that I could get dressed in the dark and (1) look just fine, and (2) look just like me.

Plus, the experiment encouraged me to get rid of the clothing I didn't love or that was just getting worn-looking.  So I look like a slightly less-grungy version of myself, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Hadilly

• Bristles
Thank you for the American Giant info, MsPeacock. I totally need a sweatshirt, so may order one soon.

I did a massive closet clean out with the help of a friend. I got rid of all my everlane tshirts and bought five white ones from uniqlo and two pairs of Patagonia shorts. That and a new sun hat and I am pretty good for summer and spring. I am trying a pair of Madewell jeans, the Perfect Summer Jean. 100% cotton. I will report back.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Thank you for the American Giant info, MsPeacock. I totally need a sweatshirt, so may order one soon.
I have had my American Giant sweatshirt for almost 4 years, and it looks brand new.  It was a gift, and I wouldn't have spent that much on a sweatshirt.  However, I'm sold.  I wear the sweatshirt at least once/week year round. 
I did a massive closet clean out with the help of a friend. I got rid of all my everlane tshirts and bought five white ones from uniqlo and two pairs of Patagonia shorts. That and a new sun hat and I am pretty good for summer and spring. I am trying a pair of Madewell jeans, the Perfect Summer Jean. 100% cotton. I will report back.
Did you like your Everlane t-shirts? 

Hadilly

• Bristles
Hey 4alpacas, so part of the problem with the Everlane shirts was that I lost weight and the large v necks and medium round neck shirts were way big and too immodest all of a sudden. On the round or scoop neck shirts, the fabric binding at the neck twisted a bit and didn't lay flat after washing. The fabric is pretty thin on both. But really, the low neck lines started to look wrong to me so I didn't want to replace them in a smaller size.

I decided to switch styles a bit too. The uniqlo crew necks are a more solid cloth, higher neck line, and more fitted. I'm hang drying them and then putting on hangers in my closet, no wrinkles or shrinking.

Ebrat

• Stubble
I love Madewell jeans! I got my last pair on ebay (tag said Nordstrom Rack), and they're alright, but my pair from the actual store held up really well for a long time.