Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211445 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #650 on: December 06, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »
I also keep a separate yard work stash, because I hate to dirty up my workout stuff. I know it's vain but I'm more likely to run if I feel good in my running gear. So the sports bra crosses the categories, but if I'm weeding / pruning / stacking logs etc I wear different outer clothes because they are very likely to get snagged on branches, hedges etc.

Oh yes - I have a 20 year old paint spattered t-shirt, some old jeans (several sizes too large) and a few other things for yard work, painting, etc.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
Ugh, I sound so vain, but I have painting clothes as well! When I'm out stacking logs or pruning trees I'm likely to run into people, I live in a busy little neighbourhood and we're all quite friendly. Also, gardening is a big hobby, so I don't want to wear stuff 'crispy' from paint (do you know what I mean?!).

So I guess my category is 4) Old workout clothes used for gardening. But I realise this is pretty hobby specific!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
Does the 3 or 4 category break down work for others?

W - work clothes
Category 1 - nicer off-work clothing (nicer jeans, nicer tops)
Category 2 - comfortable and presentable off work clothing (e.g. sweats, t-shirts)
Category 3 - exercise and workout clothing?

Is there another category? I guess I have "dressy" clothing for a party or wedding - but that really comes down to two dresses (one that I bought for a high school reunion 10 years ago, the other from H&M 2 years ago). There hardly seems like enough items, or that I get enough use out of them, to justify another category.
I was lumping in the "dressy" clothes to category 1.  I am super deficient in category 1, and the dressy portion of that category is abysmal. 

So I guess my category is 4) Old workout clothes used for gardening. But I realise this is pretty hobby specific!

I actually use nicer clothes for my work clothes.  I just opt for dark colors.  I also paint very infrequently, but I usually have a free t-shirt from something to wear.

I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Natori and Warcol both make nice bras. I wear a hard to find size and just give up and pay full price at Nordstrom. My size is never available at Kohls or Target or whatever.  Recently I bought some pullover soft bras from herroom.com by Wacoal and Coobie and they are great. Underwire bras often make me homicidal, even when fitted correctly.

Ok so we have
Work clothes
Dressy clothes (overlap with work clothes for some, outlier for some)
Category 1 - dressier off-work clothing
Category 2 - casual off work clothing (may overlap with 1 and 3)
Category 3 - exercise clothing
Outliers - yard work clothing that won't embarrass you in front of neighbors but may or may not be ok for getting paint on or going to Home Depot. :p

Here is my category 2 for today. New America Giant sweatpants. As awesome as the hoodie. Under Armor sweatshirt - I like the v neck on this enough to tolerate a logo. Also nice and cozy. Both presentable enough to run to the grocery store or answer the front door. Ms. Penelope is hoping I will accidentally drop some food for her.

I have a $20 off $100 purchase coupon good for American Giant good through xmas. PM me if you'd like the code. I have two of them and they appear to be unique codes.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2016, 03:14:35 PM »
I have to wear FRCs to work (I work in a plant) which my work provides so the only clothes I buy are away from work clothes.  I love the categories you broke off-work clothes down into.
Here's where I'm struggling:
Category 1 - I don't have a lot of good quality clothes here since I don't need nice clothes for work.  I need to get some high quality basics (silk shirt, casual but still dressy-ish blouses, bottoms other than jeans but more casual then suit pants, etc.) but I'm not sure where to start.  Also, I would like to add more layers because I feel more put-together but its too warm outside for most of the year for cardigans/scarves/etc.  Are there other "layers" that you can use to tie an outfit together but still survive when its 80 degrees out?

Category 2 - I have absolutely no bottoms in this category. I live in Houston and 80% of the year its too warm in my house to even wear leggings or maybe I just haven't found the right leggings (maybe like really light, breathable, stretchy, but non-see through capris ones)?  All the ones I've had in the past are kind of tight and make my legs a little too warm for above 75-80+ degree weather.  So do comfortable/casual but also presentable shorts exist? What is the leggings version of shorts (casual, comfortable, can look nice when paired with nicer shirts)? I feel like all of my category 1 shorts (jean shorts, khaki shorts) are too tight or uncomfortable for lounge wear but look great/feel great with my "going out" clothes.  The only other shorts I own are athletic/work out shorts which I have plenty just don't feel nice enough to fit into category.  What type of materials or styles should I be looking at for shorts?
Any advice?

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
I've broken down my non-work clothing into:

1. home (comfortable)
2. social (comfortable, slightly nicer)
3. occasions (dressy)
4. outdoors (comfortable, not precious about dirt and rips)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: December 06, 2016, 05:51:45 PM »
I have to wear FRCs to work (I work in a plant) which my work provides so the only clothes I buy are away from work clothes.  I love the categories you broke off-work clothes down into.
Category 1 - I don't have a lot of good quality clothes here since I don't need nice clothes for work.  I need to get some high quality basics (silk shirt, casual but still dressy-ish blouses, bottoms other than jeans but more casual then suit pants, etc.) but I'm not sure where to start.  Also, I would like to add more layers because I feel more put-together but its too warm outside for most of the year for cardigans/scarves/etc.  Are there other "layers" that you can use to tie an outfit together but still survive when its 80 degrees out?

Category 2 - I have absolutely no bottoms in this category. I live in Houston and 80% of the year its too warm in my house to even wear leggings or maybe I just haven't found the right leggings (maybe like really light, breathable, stretchy, but non-see through capris ones)?  All the ones I've had in the past are kind of tight and make my legs a little too warm for above 75-80+ degree weather.  So do comfortable/casual but also presentable shorts exist? What is the leggings version of shorts (casual, comfortable, can look nice when paired with nicer shirts)? I feel like all of my category 1 shorts (jean shorts, khaki shorts) are too tight or uncomfortable for lounge wear but look great/feel great with my "going out" clothes.  The only other shorts I own are athletic/work out shorts which I have plenty just don't feel nice enough to fit into category.  What type of materials or styles should I be looking at for shorts?
Any advice?

Trapped - I had some pants like these (I don't recommend this particular $98 pair - there have to be cheaper options) which sort of did that slightly nicer than shorts Category 2 stuff.

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/women-crops/Studio-Crop-II-Unlined/_/prod4850104?rcnt=12&N=7yr&cnt=17&color=LW6ABYS_8353

I also like light sweatshirt material shorts - and those are the ones I reach for most often in the summer. They are relaxed and comfortable w/o being to stiff. I'll probably order a pair from American Giant once summer gets here. I also wear some super cheap short from Kohl's:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1318379/soffe-fold-over-shorts-juniors.jsp?color=Kelly

They are soft, loose. They don't look great, but they are passable in the same way that sweatpants are.

In terms of category one layers - could you wear a dressy tank and use a button up silk blouse as the layer?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2016, 04:56:59 AM »
Today's non uniform outfit. I have to sit in a conference all day. I find it extremely uncomfortable for my back. So. These are new American Giant jogger style sweatpants (lighter weight fabric), sparkle shoes from Target in and attempt to dresss them up, , and uniform shirt from express and forever 21 sweater. I think it is passable.

cheesecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
Coming out of lurkdom for this thread :] Hi everyone!!

A while ago I got fed up with constantly feeling like I had nothing to wear despite all the clothes in my closet. I work from home at the moment (as a crafter, writer and video editor) and my "uniform" was a t-shirt and yoga pants, but I felt so sloppy all the time, especially when running errands (I know it shouldn't matter what I wear then, but it bugged me).

A couple years ago I simplified my choices by always picking black or gray for my neutrals, so I only have to worry about black shoes, belt, etc. I only really like black bottoms for me, so although I do have a pair of boot-cut, dark-wash jeans, my "uniform" these days is: black booties, black leggings/stretchy-skinny-pants, and a shirt that can work for anything from date night to book club to drinks with the girls to running errands to weekend gatherings. Generally the shirt is sleeveless or short-sleeved. Then I throw a gray cardigan (weight depending on temperature) over the top, and I'm set. Super easy.

Basically, like the attached images (hope I'm doing this right). I have the shirt in three colors now (brand is Tahari, from Macy's) (sweater is also Macys, and the 5-pocket leggings-that-pass-for-skinny-pants are from Ann Taylor Loft (5-pocket marisa cut, which for tall ladies is actually long enough! I have a problem finding leggings that aren't too short)). This is what I wore yesterday, actually!

The links people posted earlier about how to figure out your colors/style really helped, so thank you! It helped me solidify my plan for what to focus on, to accept that certain styles, while I love them on others (dolman sleeves, for example) just don't look right on me, and to just go with the silhouettes and colors that work for me.

So while I'm not completely done with my uniform, it's come together nicely. And now when I go do something, or even if I just want to look more professional than yoga pants/t-shirt at home (helps with productivity), I can grab something comfortable and nice looking without having to think about it! I may have an office job next year, but we'll cross that wardrobe-bridge when we come to it :]

I do have an addiction for cardigans, but I'm trying to limit it :]

MsPeacock I love your work uniform, feels very classic and put-together!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
Welcome cheesecat! Love your "uniform". It sounds like you can get a lot of different uses out of it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:34 AM »
Today - another uniform. Black Express pants, grey patterned shirt (! I know - not a white shirt) Forever 21, Sear's sweater. Clark's shoes.

This weekend, if I can get my act together, I am going to pull all my Category 1-3 clothes out and try to make some sense of what to get rid of and how to organize it better.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: December 08, 2016, 08:32:28 AM »
Cheesecat- I think we must have a very similar body type, because the uniform you posted would be *perfect* for me. Honestly, it's a more polished version of what I already wear a ton- cotton tanks, with black yoga capris, with a zip up hoodie. (West coast thoroughly blurs the lines between category 2 and 3 I think...). Anyway, thank you VERY much for sharing that, because it has given me a perfect vision for what I'm looking for to refine my "daily wear" category. Not to mention I've never been to Ann Taylor Loft, so I'll check there for the pants- I too suffer from tall lady legging issues. Hence wearing capris. I've given up on length, and pretend it's on purpose ;)

Any advice?

Shorts I opt for may be too casual, I'm not sure, but I tend to go for hiking style shorts. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231929211250?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I'm actually on my second pair of these exact ones. First pair lasted me 4 years and included 2 trips abroad, one where it was washed in a river and held out a van window to dry a few times. Very durable, hard to stain, look surprisingly put together (IMO) in person. Because of the fabric, they never pill or get "fuzzy" looking- they just eventually tear.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #662 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

W - work clothes
Category 2 - comfortable and presentable off work clothing (e.g. sweats, t-shirts)

Is there another category? I guess I have "dressy" clothing for a party or wedding - but that really comes down to two dresses (one that I bought for a high school reunion 10 years ago, the other from H&M 2 years ago). There hardly seems like enough items, or that I get enough use out of them, to justify another category.
I was lumping in the "dressy" clothes to category 1.  I am super deficient in category 1, and the dressy portion of that category is abysmal. 

I actually use nicer clothes for my work clothes.  I just opt for dark colors.  I also paint very infrequently, but I usually have a free t-shirt from something to wear.

I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive. R

Go to figleaves website. Ill linj it when I got home. I was recently properly measured and didn't like spending 50-70 per bra so I found my size in the UK and us brands and preferential for 15-40 a piece. I literally got an identical bra I had been fitted to in Nordstrom online for $25+ less. Ill look up the 3 brands hardwired for me as a 36G

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: December 08, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »

W - work clothes

I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive. R

Go to figleaves website. Ill linj it when I got home. I was recently properly measured and didn't like spending 50-70 per bra so I found my size in the UK and us brands and preferential for 15-40 a piece. I literally got an identical bra I had been fitted to in Nordstrom online for $25+ less. Ill look up the 3 brands hardwired for me as a 36G

I've had good luck with the brastop website during their annual sales.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: December 08, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »
Shorts I opt for may be too casual, I'm not sure, but I tend to go for hiking style shorts. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231929211250?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I'm actually on my second pair of these exact ones. First pair lasted me 4 years and included 2 trips abroad, one where it was washed in a river and held out a van window to dry a few times. Very durable, hard to stain, look surprisingly put together (IMO) in person. Because of the fabric, they never pill or get "fuzzy" looking- they just eventually tear.
+1 to Bracken_Joy - these are my hiking shorts and I can definitely attest to their durability.  I have two pairs and they wear like iron.

cheesecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Bracken_Joy, I will note that the Loft pants I mentioned are available online only (you can return in store, though), and I find that many of their normal pants/leggings I tried on in the store are too short for me. They list inseams on their site, though, which makes it easier.

As far as around-the-house clothing, does anyone have any tips on finding slippers that have actual arch support? It's getting so cold now that I am searching for a solution but even the expensive slippers only seem to have foam as their padding, which isn't enough arch support for me :(

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #666 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
Cheesecat- I think we must have a very similar body type, because the uniform you posted would be *perfect* for me. Honestly, it's a more polished version of what I already wear a ton- cotton tanks, with black yoga capris, with a zip up hoodie. (West coast thoroughly blurs the lines between category 2 and 3 I think...). Anyway, thank you VERY much for sharing that, because it has given me a perfect vision for what I'm looking for to refine my "daily wear" category. Not to mention I've never been to Ann Taylor Loft, so I'll check there for the pants- I too suffer from tall lady legging issues. Hence wearing capris. I've given up on length, and pretend it's on purpose ;)

Any advice?

These look great!  This is exactly the type of shorts I need.  I also found these ones that look a little more lounging/comfortable but could still be "dressed up".
http://www.express.com/clothing/women/olive-utility-soft-shorts/pro/02397300/cat320019

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: December 08, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Bracken_Joy, I will note that the Loft pants I mentioned are available online only (you can return in store, though), and I find that many of their normal pants/leggings I tried on in the store are too short for me. They list inseams on their site, though, which makes it easier.

As far as around-the-house clothing, does anyone have any tips on finding slippers that have actual arch support? It's getting so cold now that I am searching for a solution but even the expensive slippers only seem to have foam as their padding, which isn't enough arch support for me :(
You could try the LL Bean wool clog slippers: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112639?feat=503422-GN3&page=women-s-l-l-bean-wool-slipper-clog

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: December 08, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

You could try the LL Bean wool clog slippers: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112639?feat=503422-GN3&page=women-s-l-l-bean-wool-slipper-clog

Haflinger slippers are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. Mine are about 8 years old. Lots of support, and warm.

ETA the LL Bean slippers look exactly the same at half the cost!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:16:51 AM by MsPeacock »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2016, 06:17:56 AM »
Today category 2.  Under Armor top and leggings, with layers underneath because it is cold outside!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
Ok, so I am so excited about that Vivienne link.  It is the first build your wardrobe thing that actually makes sense to me and doesn't tell me to wear all black!  I hate black.  I have started buying quite a few black things in the last few years because it is easy, but I usually hate wearing it.  I am starting to like a few things, but I really didn't want that as my neutral.  I prefer browns, but they are hard for me to match, and look good.  It has gotten harder as my size has increased and I am now in plus on the bottom, which tends to have more limited color selection. 

But I am really excited about the navy/grey neutral combo, especially combined with pink and purple.  I love all these colors and already have a number of pieces I absolutely love.  Now I finally think I understand how to pull it all together. 

And I also love the categories that people are describing. 

I realized my category 1 was woefully low recently, and I added some pieces that are cute and fun.  But now my Category 2 and 3 and sleep wear is pathetic.  But now I understand how to think about these. 

I don't know when I I'll have time to address this, but I think the first step will be laying everything out anyway.  So maybe after the holidays...?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:18 AM »
Today's uniform: Express pants and shirt (this one with a print!) and black sweater (Forever 21). Everything is old - a year or more, I think.

My recent category 2 purchases - mostly Under Armor fleece lined shirts and American Giant sweats have put in a much better place overall. I realize that a lot of my problem was category 1 tops (nicer tops) that aren't warm enough for me most of the time, and then a general lack of sweaters to wear with them. The reality is that most of the time I am off work I want category 2 outfits.

I also love the Vivienne link - I think her system is awesome and love how she breaks down the steps. So much easier to  narrow the colors and style and then just shop in that range. I think the hardest thing may sometimes be finding certain colors in certain items - e.g. much harder to find navy pants rather than black pants.

I also realized that my desire to be frugal conflicts with my desire to look "nice" in whatever category it is that I am dressing in. However, I'd rather spend a bit more and have items that really work for me and I will get many years of use out of them. Too often in the past I'd buy something because it was on sale or because it was "cute" without really being able to assess how well it would work with other items I owned or if it was an items that met my actual clothing needs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:22 AM »
I don't know when I I'll have time to address this, but I think the first step will be laying everything out anyway.  So maybe after the holidays...?

I think this is a good question- how are people addressing this? I'm very tactile/kinesthetic, so I've been trying on all the different combos I can think of and taking outfit pictures of stuff together. I need to do more of this, as I started the project then kinda abandoned it.

Other approaches? Notes, apps?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: December 12, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »
I also realized that my desire to be frugal conflicts with my desire to look "nice" in whatever category it is that I am dressing in. However, I'd rather spend a bit more and have items that really work for me and I will get many years of use out of them. Too often in the past I'd buy something because it was on sale or because it was "cute" without really being able to assess how well it would work with other items I owned or if it was an items that met my actual clothing needs.
Since I've been working on having a quality wardrobe (not just clothing pieces), my spending on clothing has gone way down.  I rarely buy shoes (other than running shoes), and I have no desire to just "shop."  I go to the mall when I need something, and I buy it and leave. 

I spend more on clothing than the average MMM reader, but I'm okay with that. 

BJ, I haven't found a good way.  I did KonMari my wardrobe in one day, which greatly reduced the number of items.  I've been slowly working out outfits, but I don't have a quick way or method.  I would love to hear ideas.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #674 on: December 12, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »

I think this is a good question- how are people addressing this? I'm very tactile/kinesthetic, so I've been trying on all the different combos I can think of and taking outfit pictures of stuff together. I need to do more of this, as I started the project then kinda abandoned it.

Other approaches? Notes, apps?
I'm very interested in this as well because, frankly, I'm hopeless at it.  I think my actually outfits are fine, but I am not at all creative and I'm bad at mixing and matching, so I have a lot of "set" outfits (e.g. I always wear a certain sweater with a certain blouse, or pants).  This makes for a very inefficient wardrobe...

cheesecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #675 on: December 12, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »

Haflinger slippers are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. Mine are about 8 years old. Lots of support, and warm.

ETA the LL Bean slippers look exactly the same at half the cost!

Thanks for the tip - clog-style slippers tend to slip off my feet while navigating stairs, so I'm looking for a moccasin-style slipper. I ordered the Haflinger mocs from zappos; they do indeed have arch support ... but it's oddly forward of my arch, so it feels weird. Going back, sigh.

I actually found slipper-socks at costco the other day and bought them to try, and I like them! No arch support, but then they don't pretend to have arch support (like everything with memory foam). I might just see how the winter goes with them, unless I randomly come across my Perfect Slipper :)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: December 12, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »
Over the weekend, I was cleaning up our basement and found a box of boots, shoes and gloves.  Went through it and found a pair of my son's old shoes he used for skateboarding or biking or something long ago as he's 3 sizes bigger.  Just my size.  All black so I can wear them at work.  Free shoes FTW.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: December 13, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Today: black pants (Express), blue patterned shirt (Express - hard to see), blue sweater (Sears).  Nothing too exciting here.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #678 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive.

The website I meant to link to was figleaves.com They sell Freya, Panache, Chantelle and dozens more brands. THeir own branded lingerie is also pretty fantastic. They do not sell Natori though. So I got 3 excellent bras and a pair of underwear for $89 (including shipping), Nordstrom was $140 for two bras by the same brands.

I was also recommended Bravissimo.com which I was told  they are a great find for the small band size and a large cup size combo that is so difficult to find. They also sell tops that have enough material in them, so that you can wear a dress or button down shirt without the annoying tendency of the fabric gaping open or pulling too tightly across the curves.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: December 14, 2016, 04:32:47 AM »
Today: Old Navy pants - at least 10 years old. They are dark brown w/ pink and grey pinstripes. They are lined and good quality - from back long ago when Old Navy made reasonable quality clothing.   Sears sweater (new - I bought 4 or 5 in different colors - LOVE this sweater. It is a bull's eye for my uniform) and Forever 21 white shirt (old).

I hate these shoes w/ dress pants and socks. They were the only ones that I own that more or less match. I am wishing for a pair of burgundy or ox blood wingtips (which would go w/ many things). Just holding out on those now since I've spent some money on clothes recently.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: December 14, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »

The website I meant to link to was figleaves.com They sell Freya, Panache, Chantelle and dozens more brands. THeir own branded lingerie is also pretty fantastic. They do not sell Natori though. So I got 3 excellent bras and a pair of underwear for $89 (including shipping), Nordstrom was $140 for two bras by the same brands.

I was also recommended Bravissimo.com which I was told  they are a great find for the small band size and a large cup size combo that is so difficult to find. They also sell tops that have enough material in them, so that you can wear a dress or button down shirt without the annoying tendency of the fabric gaping open or pulling too tightly across the curves.
Thanks for the recommendations!  I'll have to check out the sites. 

MsPeacock, I love the pants!  They're "boring" in a way that I like, but they have a little flair up close. 

I bought a floor length gown for a holiday event that I have to go to with my DH on Friday.  I tried a few thrift stores in my area, but the selection was too small (most of the dresses were too large).  I ended up buying a dress on sale (~$80) at a Macy's.  Of course, I had to have the dress hemmed (~$35).  Now I'm sure the dress will sit in my closet for years until I have another formal event.  How do you handle black swan type events?

As an upside to the formal dress I picked out, there was a built in bra, so I didn't have to buy a special bra.  Tiny victories.

I have the dress I wore to my 20th high school reunion 10 years ago in my closet. The 30th is this year and I will most likely wear the same dress. Who could possibly remember? I have one other sort of dressy dress. I feel like you have to have one or two of these things for the occasional unavoidable event where they are required. Kind of like how some men have one suit that is just for weddings and such. At least men can wear the same suit to an interview and a funeral. The dressy dress seems to only be useful for party sorts of events.

There are those gown rental services,  it I think they cost more than $80 to rent and there is still the issue of length to deal with.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: December 14, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it.

This is a late reply, but have you considered buying blazers and rolling up the sleeves?

I do that with mine because I prefer having my forearms free/bare, better range of motion, so no-one would notice if the sleeves were short.

Or you can buy blazers with 3/4 or cuffed sleeves.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »
My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it.

This is a late reply, but have you considered buying blazers and rolling up the sleeves?

I do that with mine because I prefer having my forearms free/bare, better range of motion, so no-one would notice if the sleeves were short.

Or you can buy blazers with 3/4 or cuffed sleeves.

That's what I do with sweaters- get 3/4 length sleeves. Doesn't solve the shoulder issues though. I have approx women's size L-XL shoulders, but I wear size small or XS otherwise. In a structured garment, that is very problematic =\

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: December 14, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »
Bracken Joy - I have the same issue. I a built like a swimmer. My shoulders are very broad relative to the rest of my body, and in particular my chest. It is a rare blazer that I don't have to buy in a size 10 or something and have the body taken down. I wear maybe a 2 or 4 for my body. I sort of have given up on blazers for the most part at this point anyhow. Shockingly the cheap blazers from Express fit me - go figure.

I think this problem is just more common than we probably think. Men's clothing is sized much better than women's - I mean, it seems that there are a much wider range of shirt sizes, and pants that come in a variety of lengths for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
Bracken Joy - I have the same issue. I a built like a swimmer. My shoulders are very broad relative to the rest of my body, and in particular my chest. It is a rare blazer that I don't have to buy in a size 10 or something and have the body taken down. I wear maybe a 2 or 4 for my body. I sort of have given up on blazers for the most part at this point anyhow. Shockingly the cheap blazers from Express fit me - go figure.

I think this problem is just more common than we probably think. Men's clothing is sized much better than women's - I mean, it seems that there are a much wider range of shirt sizes, and pants that come in a variety of lengths for me.

I think this might be fairly common in taller women? Seems to be a pattern I've noticed. And yes on men's clothes- in fact, my mom has pretty well given up and just buys men's henleys, lol. She's even taller and broader shouldered than I am, but same proportions. She told me when she worked in a professional office environment, she had to get custom made clothes, literally nothing fit off rack. (Small city in the 70s, woo). So at least it sounds like it's improved some over the years!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #685 on: December 14, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
I have the reverse issue.  Size M at the shoulders, but XL at the hips.  Shirts are very hard, because changing the whole shoulder is expensive. 

I have started using True & Co for bras.  They help with sizing and fit and it is all online.  I really like them.  I probably have a friend discount code if anyone is interested.  Their bras have held up well.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: December 16, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »
Good mornng.

Yesterday's work outfit of the brown pants, white shirt, tan sweater. Everything is old. Looks fine imo.

Today's cat 2 two pairs of leggings because it is super cold outside, under armour top, ugg boots that are a xmas gift and are super cozy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: December 17, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
Put three pairs of shoes in the Goodwill pile and edging closer to a casual clothing purge. The workout clothes are a jumbled mess. I need to pull the bike gear out and find a bin or something for storage. It really has almost no overlap with the other categories of clothing.

I've been slowly weeding down the shoes. Got rid of pretty much all the heels because they are uncomfortable and most of my clothing no longer fits with heels.

Dressy party to attend tonight. The ladies are usually wearing full length gowns. I make due with whatever I have. Last year I wore a black blazer and my boyfriends white dress shirt with black leggings and boots. Might do the same this year.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:34 AM »
Monday update - all this you've seen before, plus silver belt (not new - maybe 8 years old). Express pants, Sears sweater, Forever 21 shirt, Clark's shoes. Comfy and warm.

Got no closer to wedding down the Category 1 and 2 clothing this weekend....

Didn't attend the fancy dress party so I have nothing to report on that. (I went out to start the car and my battery was dead and being pretty introverted and having already attended 2 parties in the past 2 days - I was relieved. Instead walked down the street and got pizza at the pub.)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »

Didn't attend the fancy dress party so I have nothing to report on that. (I went out to start the car and my battery was dead and being pretty introverted and having already attended 2 parties in the past 2 days - I was relieved. Instead walked down the street and got pizza at the pub.)

LOL.... is this the modern version of " I need to wash my hair tonite "?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #690 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »

LOL.... is this the modern version of " I need to wash my hair tonite "?

Ha - It might be. As an introvert I sometimes need an excuse to bow out once I am overwhelmed. The car battery was a real situation, but it did give me a polite way out of the party.

Today - ok, you all have seen this all before.

I'm going to stop w/ the work uniform posts for a while, since it is quite repetitive. I'm planning to work on the other categories of clothes and do some posts on that as I get through it.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: December 24, 2016, 01:13:32 AM »
Hurrah, windfall. Post friend's wardrobe sweep, I have a mild-weather work capsule once I find a couple of neutrals to match.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »
Depending on how often you have a need to dress up, you might keep an eye out for a formal skirt.  When paired with a white button down, it's very stylish and yet can still be appropriate for a formal occasion.  Maybe it's not something you care much about, but I feel very disrespectful if not dressed appropriately, and I feel self-conscious which make my introversion worse.  This would only add one piece to your wardrobe but it would play well with other things you own. 

Depending on your taste it could be full (probably looks the most formal) or fitted.  They key would be to get it in a formal, dressy fabric like taffeta, sequins, etc.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #693 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
Post-Christmas sales. I know. Money was spent. But I have two neutrals that fit with other items in my wardrobe, and cross off the coffee-with-friends - business-casual categories.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
This is a category 1 outfit: uggs, stretch jeans (several years old and miracles that fit with 20 pound weight fluctuations without being too tight), American Giant "city sweatshirt".

I ordered a few items recently from American Giant and I have been really pleased with the items. The first was a hoodie. It is very heavy and well made. I find the sleeves a bit stiff and constricting, but I think they will break in over time. True to the companies promise, absolutely no shrinking of any item with washing and drying.

The city sweatshirt above is actually not fleece. It is more like a heavy weight shirt, and the fabric has gold sparkels in it. This is a size small. I love how it fits and that I can layer under it, the cut and length are great. This item went in and out f stock several times before I managed to get it. Definitely going to be a staple in my wardrobe.

I also ordered two t-shirts from American Giant, one of their "classic" t-shirts for 24.50 and one of the "premium" shirts for 34.50. I have not yet washed or worn them. I will post pictures and updates of them soon. My initial impression of the premium shirt is that it is worth every penny of the 34.50 and will be a favorite. The fabric is amazing and the back seam is flattering and interesting. The regular shirt seems, well regular. But if they hold their shape and size with washing, as the other items havE, they will also become standards for me.

Additionally I got a pair of classic swats and a pair of jogger sweats. They are fantastic and also hold their size and shape with washing. I am extremely pleased.

So, America. Giant is expensive, but made in the US, and the quality is very very high. So far so good!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:03:43 PM by MsPeacock »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
The cut of that is fantastic! I look forward to your feedback about durability, pilling, etc. Thanks so much for keeping this updated!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
The AG City Swearthirt has been on my wishlist for months, but I can't convince myself to pulp the trigger at that price - it's litefally 10 times what i pay for cashmere sweaters at the thrift store... And I surely don't need more clothes... But I looove it!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
The AG City Swearthirt has been on my wishlist for months, but I can't convince myself to pulp the trigger at that price - it's litefally 10 times what i pay for cashmere sweaters at the thrift store... And I surely don't need more clothes... But I looove it!
I have an American Giant hoodie that my DH bought me two years ago, and it's still in perfect shape.  I also have purchased inexpensive cashmere sweaters (that I love) at the thrift store, but there is something so easy about tossing a sweatshirt in the washer and dryer and not worrying about it. 

My DH has an AG hoodie (zip front) that he wears multiple times per week, and it still looks brand new. 

I'm looking forward to your review of the t-shirts, MsPeacock.  I still have quite a few Madewell slub v-necks, but they're starting to develop holes. 

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was wondering if anyone would have some dress suggestions for me.

I have been working on developing a capsule wardrobe. I'm finding my signature style is kind of tomboy-rocker, lol. One thing I feel really comfortable in is straight or skinny jeans, ankle boots, graphic-t, blazer. I would, however, love to incorporate a couple of less-girly dresses. I travel often for work and they take up much less space, plus, to be honest, I have really nice calves, lol. Given my height (5'2"), hitting right at the knee is the perfect length for me. This would also be great for summer - I'm not a fan of shorts and how they look on me.

Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
I was wondering if anyone would have some dress suggestions for me.

I have been working on developing a capsule wardrobe. I'm finding my signature style is kind of tomboy-rocker, lol. One thing I feel really comfortable in is straight or skinny jeans, ankle boots, graphic-t, blazer. I would, however, love to incorporate a couple of less-girly dresses. I travel often for work and they take up much less space, plus, to be honest, I have really nice calves, lol. Given my height (5'2"), hitting right at the knee is the perfect length for me. This would also be great for summer - I'm not a fan of shorts and how they look on me.

Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

Personally, I am a huge fan of wrap dresses and "REI style" dresses (that's how I think of them- travel dresses?). I have two of these from Merrels that I got on clearance (well, like this but sleeveless): https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/1541-2015/06/18/merrell-iris-print-siena-cinch-dress-product-2-260495095-normal.jpeg They've held up incredibly well, and can dress up or down easily. I tend to wear them with tennis shoe style flats, so they're semi-girly.

Admittedly, I'm 5'9", so the opposite end of sizing struggles from you. But things that have a semi-empire waist like that seems to be pretty forgiving IME. I've loaned one to a shorter friend (~5'4"?) and it fit well on her too.