Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211468 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #600 on: November 18, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
You have to have gray. You can wear all black slacks if you prefer.
Exactly!  There's nothing at all wrong with having a basic work uniform.  Black pants, colored top, sweater in 1 or 2 colors, scarf.  Done.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: November 18, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
Your colors are great Bracken Joy and I could only echo the advice that others have given. I also have very broad shoulders relative to the rest of my frame. For blazers this almost always means having to size up and having them altered. I find cardigans generally softer and more comfortable anyhow.

The Portofino shirt from Express seems to have unusually long arms. It comes in tons of colors. If you are looking for button downs you might check it out. I have found the, to wash and dry well and hold up to regular wear. It is also long enough to stay tucked in!

I wear all my pants two days in a row - speaking of how many pairs of whatever are needed. I change shirts daily just because, and sweaters get reborn a bunch before wash since they are the outer layer.

If you need extra warmth you can layer a caminsole or tank under the other layers.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only? My pants say they are. They were definitely an emergency, "I have a job interview in a week and need SOMETHING" purchase last year.

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #603 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only?

What is their fiber content? Any wool in the mix? Wool is the only thing I send to the dry cleaners because I've accidentally shrunk a few pieces. Everything else I wash in a very gentle cycle and haven't had any problems so far. I turn my pants inside out when washing as well to extend their life.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #604 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only?

What is their fiber content? Any wool in the mix? Wool is the only thing I send to the dry cleaners because I've accidentally shrunk a few pieces. Everything else I wash in a very gentle cycle and haven't had any problems so far. I turn my pants inside out when washing as well to extend their life.

No wool. They are 63% Polyester/32% Rayon/5% Spandex.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: November 18, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Wash gentle and hang dry.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: November 18, 2016, 05:46:31 PM »
Thank you guys! Any benefit to sticking them in a lingerie/mesh bag for the wash?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: November 18, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
I don't. I do, however, only wash very dark clothes with black pants. Otherwise, the lint kills me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: November 18, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
Good to know. Again, thank you guys!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #609 on: November 18, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Wash gentle and hang dry.

Definitely.  And as others have said, I also find I don't need to wash pants or sweaters very often.  Your work environment may be different, but in an office setting, there's no need for dress pants to get particularly dirty.  A lot of the modern fabrics spot clean easily and dry quickly; I just try to change out of mine right away when I get home.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #610 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
Reporting on my own quest to build up my capsule wardrobe, especially in light of increasing my days/week at work come January. :)

When I assessed via the Starting from Scratch wardrobe (which really has more clothes than I need, as I can spend a lot of days in jeans and yoga pants around here :-) ), I realized that my base neutrals were already black and charcoal, and although I thought my accents would be red and blue, when I actually pulled out all my tops, I realized that I had very little red (and a little green), but mostly blues and purples.  I had almost no white tops (like you, Bracken Joy, I mostly wear colours!), 1 skirt (that I don't wear often) and a pair of dark skinny jeans.  1 charcoal cardigan and a few merino crew-neck sweaters.

So I have been on the hunt for a black cardigan (I do have a really heavy wool one for when it's really cold, but it's too heavy for most of the year), a black skirt, another white top, black shoes, and possibly a dress in one of my colours.  I also have wondered about a cardi in one of the accent colours, as recommended by the Vivienne Files.

With some time to shop in the bigger city today, I had some success!  I found a white top on deep discount at one store, a blue merino cardi 40% off at the Gap, and then closed my eyes and bit the bullet and bought the black skirt that I liked months ago and didn't buy because it was almost $70 (!!!!).  After MONTHS of looking for an alternative, I am buoyed by the confidence that I will wear this regularly for years to come and that it will go with everything I own.  Then I brought home a pair of black pants and a sparkly charcoal grey cardi for possible Christmas wear (to dress up everything else that I already own) from Costco.  Will return if I don't like them.

Anyway, I'm really just sharing all this because I was SO pleased as I shopped because I could stay focused, ignore many items that might have otherwise tempted me, and best of all, I avoided the major angst and difficulty deciding to part with my money because I just wasn't sure if I would wear a given thing, or what it might go with in my wardrobe.  I KNOW that everything will work and match.  I'm also more confident spending a seemingly unmustachian amount on a particular item, because I know that I my costs per wear will be low and I won't have to shop again for a long time to come!  I'd rather buy what I need and stay out of the stores to save money than buy cheaper things that I will always be trying to replace because I don't really like them or I can't wear them with enough of my basics.

DDD and others, I can't thank you enough for the resources you have shared!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
Another day, another same outfit again.

Today: black pants (Express), shoes (Clark's), white shirt (Express), white sweater (Forever 21).

I also wanted to follow on about the clothes I purchased last year from Everlane. They actually held up very poorly. The black sweater shrank progressively every time it was cleaned (cold water, line dry) until it was the size to fit an 8 year old. The t-shirt became sort of misshapen and half shrunk half stretched out (twisted maybe). Really disappointing because the sweater was very expensive.  I was careful to follow the care instructions because the sweater was expensive - so it never went in the dryer or washed with anything other than cold water.   

Has anyone else tried any of their other clothing items?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
I also wanted to follow on about the clothes I purchased last year from Everlane. They actually held up very poorly. The black sweater shrank progressively every time it was cleaned (cold water, line dry) until it was the size to fit an 8 year old. The t-shirt became sort of misshapen and half shrunk half stretched out (twisted maybe). Really disappointing because the sweater was very expensive.  I was careful to follow the care instructions because the sweater was expensive - so it never went in the dryer or washed with anything other than cold water.   

No, I haven't purchased anything from Everlane.  However, I was thinking of buying some t-shirts, so I appreciate your feedback.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've also been thinking about trying American Giant t-shirts (http://www.american-giant.com/classic-v-neck-t/W2-2M-3.html?dwvar_W2-2M-3_color=cardinal&cgid=womens-shirts-short-sleeve#start=1).  My DH and I both have AG sweatshirts that are amazing.  They've held up for ~2 years with almost daily wear (my DH). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 21, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »

No, I haven't purchased anything from Everlane.  However, I was thinking of buying some t-shirts, so I appreciate your feedback.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've also been thinking about trying American Giant t-shirts (http://www.american-giant.com/classic-v-neck-t/W2-2M-3.html?dwvar_W2-2M-3_color=cardinal&cgid=womens-shirts-short-sleeve#start=1).  My DH and I both have AG sweatshirts that are amazing.  They've held up for ~2 years with almost daily wear (my DH).

I have an American Giant hoodie and I love it. I asked for sweatpants from them for xmas. I agree that the quality is fantastic. I'd love to hear how the t-shirt are (they are kinda expensive, but if they are indestructible they will be worth it).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:36 AM »
That t-shirt is made in the USA and $24.50! Great find, thanks for sharing.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: November 23, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
This is from yesterday:

Pants (Express - 4? years old. Apparently hemmed when I wore heels. I need to have them taken up again to accommodate flats), white shirt (Express), blue sweater (HM). Clark's shoes.

I was complimented today on my outfit :)  The pants have a subtle blue/black/red/green plaid to them. One of the very few articles of clothing that I wear that isn't just a solid color.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: November 24, 2016, 02:06:44 AM »
Cool fabric, Ms P. Unique in a work-appropriate way.

I've taken a long look at my wardrobe. First items on the top-up list: black pants, neutral skirt. That will increase the combos I can make.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: November 26, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
Curious what you all wear when you aren't at work. Do you have a off work uniform as well?

I don't - but I am finding myself frequently frustrated by my casual clothing choices and never having what I want - or something. I'm not entirely sure WHAT the problem is that I am having, but I am frustrated and thus not sure how to fix it. Currently lusting after some American Giant sweatpants and sweatshirt....  I have a couple pairs of cheap sweatpants that I hate (from Target) because they are thin and just look sad and droopy. Should I cough up $75 or whatever for a more durable and comfortable pair that will last me forever?

In warmer months I have been tending to wear workout clothes (leggings or shorts, tank top) most of the time. I do spent a lot of time working out, so that sort of works. And in general it seems like gym clothes are acceptable for most venues (at least where I go - like the grocery store or helping at my kid's school, and the gym). Aside from that I have jeans, t-shirts....

American Giant also now has a pair of ponte' pants - the oft referred to wonder material on this thread.

So, thoughts?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:04 AM »
I sort-of have an off work uniform, yes.

What I actually have are three uniforms:
1. My corporate uniform (black or grey fitted work dress, black tights, black leather Mary Janes, cardigan in black, grey or blue).
2. My smart casual uniform, worn to work on Fridays and to leave the house / see friends and family on the weekend (black, grey or blue loose-fitting stretchy dress cinched with a black leather belt, tights, shoes and cardigan as above).
3. My ''at home'' clothes for hanging out in, gardening, going for walks etc (loose tee shirt - preferably stripey, track pants, sneakers).
Every item within a category must work with the others, so that I can pick ANY tee and ANY track pants, for example. I don't do patterns other than stripey tees and a single floral maternity dress I've just bought.

I'm now faced with the dilemma of maternity wear. Category 1 is very close to being unwearable with the growing bump (the downside to fitted clothes!). Category 2 is mostly okay at this stage. I think I'm likely to end up with mostly category 2 style maternity outfits even for work, because category 1 doesn't seem to exist to my taste/standard in maternity wear. I'm hopeful that my work will cut me some slack with dressing more casually for the remainder of my pregnancy, as I'm usually one of the better dressed women in the office.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
HappierAtHome: My three stepdaughters all bought pairs of black capris/leggings/yoga pants from Old Navy and Target and wore them with tops they "borrowed" from their husbands or got from formerly pregnant friends. Maternity clothes seem to be one of those things where, if you put the word out, the bounty of the heavens will descend upon you.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
HappierAtHome: My three stepdaughters all bought pairs of black capris/leggings/yoga pants from Old Navy and Target and wore them with tops they "borrowed" from their husbands or got from formerly pregnant friends. Maternity clothes seem to be one of those things where, if you put the word out, the bounty of the heavens will descend upon you.

That look sounds cute, but probably wouldn't fly at my work as it's quite a few steps more casual than the standard for us (maybe if the tops were a more formal tunic style though, so I'll think about that some more).

I've put the word out but I'm yet to receive the bounty ;-) my local relatives were done having kids years ago and my friends aren't even thinking of starting yet, so I think the timing is just a bit off for hand me down maternity wear. I've seen a few things on my Buy Nothing group but it's always for petite and / or very slim women, while I'm close to six feet tall and curvy. Oh well! I'll spend a little money to feel comfortable in my clothes during pregnancy and it'll be no biggie.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #621 on: November 27, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
My casual wardrobe is VERY minimal - two jeans, one pair of elephant-print pants from Malaysia, one floral skirt from Mexico, three shirts (black, gray, blue), and an assortment of tank tops that double as workout clothes. I also have a really lightweight dress that's good for hot weather, and a bright orange casual sweater It seems to do the trick..

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: November 27, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I am realizing that some of the issue is season changes. My work clothes are the same all year. My casual clothes vary by season - thus requiring a wider variety of pieces. 

Otherwise still thinking on how a uniform approach might take shape for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: November 27, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
Non-work clothes: definitely seasonal for me.
Summer- shorts and tanktops mainly with sandals
Rest of the year- yoga capris and t shirts for home chores, work outs, etc; skinny jeans with boots and t shirts and scarves for grocery trips and other "leaving home" activities.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: November 27, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
I am realizing that some of the issue is season changes. My work clothes are the same all year. My casual clothes vary by season - thus requiring a wider variety of pieces. 

Otherwise still thinking on how a uniform approach might take shape for me.

Could you develop two uniforms that would between them cover all seasons? Or some items that could be layered up for winter and down for summer?

All my uniforms are basically good for all seasons, with some layering up or down, but our weather isn't as variable as many places.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: November 28, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »
My non-work wardrobe:

Going out (as in coffee with friends, dinner at their house etc, not clubbing), either:
- Skinny jeans / trousers, loose up top
- Jersey knit dress and leggings.

I alter things seasonally, but stick to these silohuettes eg the top with jeans will be short sleeved or sleeveless for summer, long sleeved and heavier for winter. Cardigan if necessary.

With the jersey dresses, I have sleeveless ones for summer, and I don't wear leggings, but I often have some with me, so as the sun sets and we're still out on the patio I can add them for warmth, it makes a huge difference. Long sleeved ones for winter, or add a base layer.

I wear both types of outfits with flip-flops (sandals?) in summer, and boots in winter.

My at-home wardrobe is leggings with essentially an oversized sweatshirt. We call them 'jumper dresses' but in the UK a jumper is a pullover, not a jump-suit, which is totally different. Basically this (I have three in different fabrics and colours, it's plenty, and I feel surprisingly put together if I have to answer the door, yet so comfy): http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/oversized-jumper-dress-5702264?geoip=noredirect&cmpid=ppc_pla_UK_ip&utm_medium=cpc&tsrc=vdna&istCompanyId=38aa0d7f-6514-4cb3-bbdc-df0d32d48b7f&istItemId=xtrarlimia&istBid=tztx&gclid=COb0-Lbcy9ACFUEcGwodA6IC8w&gclsrc=aw.ds

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: November 28, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
Well I have made no progress on the casual clothes front.

However, here is today's work uniform.  I found sweaters at Sears that exactly met my criteria in terms of fit (V-neck, fairly slender cut), fabric (a bit fuzzy w/ acrylic), and cost. I have similar sweaters that I got last year at Forever 21 and they have held up to my standard care (machine wash and tumble dry every few wearings). So, I got a couple sweaters this past weekend. The pants are at least a year old, I think. Same old white shirt from Forever 21 - also about a year old.

Most boring fashion thread ever: me wearing basically the same outfit every day.   :P

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: November 28, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
Well I have made no progress on the casual clothes front.

However, here is today's work uniform.  I found sweaters at Sears that exactly met my criteria in terms of fit (V-neck, fairly slender cut), fabric (a bit fuzzy w/ acrylic), and cost. I have similar sweaters that I got last year at Forever 21 and they have held up to my standard care (machine wash and tumble dry every few wearings). So, I got a couple sweaters this past weekend. The pants are at least a year old, I think. Same old white shirt from Forever 21 - also about a year old.

Most boring fashion thread ever: me wearing basically the same outfit every day.   :P

And yet that's exactly why we're all here! =D

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #628 on: November 28, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »
One person's boredom is another's consistency!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: November 28, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »
+1
MsPeacock, I love your wardrobe.  I think the subtle details are perfection.  I also find it motivational that you have a uniform, but still have a variation.  I wear the same thing...same style...same everything....every day. 

My workplace is casual, so my off-work outfits are actually less casual (less t-shirts and fleece and more buttons and sweaters). 

However, I think it's worth the money to splurge on lounge wear.  I bought two pairs of fleece lined leggings and two oversized sweatshirts from Lou & Grey last fall, and I am in love.  I look together enough to go out for brunch and cozy enough to curl up on the couch.  I felt a little ridiculous spending money on stuff that I walk my dog in and wear around the house, but I'm a complete convert.  It's also helped me purge items that I wasn't going to wear (KonMari) because I didn't have the fall back of wearing them around the house. 

I'm still in the process of getting my wardrobe up to date, but I've been doing better.  I need to find a tailor to hem all of my pants to wear with my flats (I donated all of my heels, so now I only need pants hemmed to wear with flats). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: November 28, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
+1
MsPeacock, I love your wardrobe.  I think the subtle details are perfection.  I also find it motivational that you have a uniform, but still have a variation.  I wear the same thing...same style...same everything....every day. 

My workplace is casual, so my off-work outfits are actually less casual (less t-shirts and fleece and more buttons and sweaters). 

However, I think it's worth the money to splurge on lounge wear.  I bought two pairs of fleece lined leggings and two oversized sweatshirts from Lou & Grey last fall, and I am in love.  I look together enough to go out for brunch and cozy enough to curl up on the couch.  I felt a little ridiculous spending money on stuff that I walk my dog in and wear around the house, but I'm a complete convert.  It's also helped me purge items that I wasn't going to wear (KonMari) because I didn't have the fall back of wearing them around the house. 

I'm still in the process of getting my wardrobe up to date, but I've been doing better.  I need to find a tailor to hem all of my pants to wear with my flats (I donated all of my heels, so now I only need pants hemmed to wear with flats).

Thank you to everyone.

4alpacas - I realized as I was reading your post that I do need to spend money on casual clothing. I think the issue is much like the work clothing situation a year+ ago. To get my work wardrobe in order I had to ditch a lot of clothing, figure out what I most wanted to wear, and then acquire those items. All the white shirts were new purchases, as were the vast majority of sweaters. Thus far my casual clothing system has been scattered, disorganized, no consistent "look" - more or less. I need to figure out what I really want to wear and then get the appropriate pieces. No more sitting on the fence about the expensive sweatpants that I really really really want from American Giant. I know I'll wear them.

ETA - where does one find/buy fleece lined leggings? That sounds perfect.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #631 on: November 28, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »
The fleece lined leggings can be found all over the place.  I got one pair online and another pair from Walgreens.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #632 on: November 29, 2016, 04:37:06 AM »
Good Morning, Happy Tuesday....

Today's uniform: Monochromatic.  Express pants and Forever 21 white shirt (same items as yesterday). Clark's shoes (same). Grey sweater - new, from Sears. Same sweater as yesterday but in another color. I bought 3 - purple, blue, and grey. Tempted to go and get the pink, black, and white because I like them so much.... Also, these pants are awesome. So comfortable and they fit well and don't show any signs of wear for the past year (I bought them last November during Express's 50% off sale right after Thanksgiving). They are sort of heavy and thick and stretchy and seemingly largely wrinkle proof (and they still sell them).

Last night I ordered two pairs of pants from American Giant. I emailed them to confirm that they will be restocking a particular sweatshirt that I want from them.

I am going to Kondo/purge my casual clothes and get it sorted out. I have a ton of workout wear - some of which I don't like - so those pieces need to go. I need to find a better storage situation - maybe put the bike stuff in a bin away from the running stuff, separate from the swimming stuff, etc. Other stuff needs evaluation - t-shirts that wrinkle up badly or the neckline is all twisted - out. Then replace w/ better stuff in the right colors and fits.  I am having *slightly*  more clarity. I already have a few pairs of jeans that I like - so I am good there. 

I would like to find some t-shirts that are good quality, slightly narrow women's cut (not boxy), not stupid cap sleeves - wide enough in the shoulder for an athletic build, won't shrink, and in good colors. ... Maybe American Giant - I am going to test order a t-shirt when I place another order.

If you are military or a vet American Giant gives a 20% discount - which is very nice because their clothes are pretty expressive (worth it - but expensive).

I am going to find a pair of those fleece lined leggings in person and check them out.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:41:13 AM by MsPeacock »

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #633 on: November 29, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
I will be curious to hear your review of their t shirts. Don't love the everlane ones though the v neck is pretty good, especially in colors.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #634 on: November 29, 2016, 03:22:35 PM »
I have several pairs of fleece lined leggings, but my favorite ones are from Lou & Grey.* 

I look forward to your feedback about the American Giant t-shirts!

* I think these are the leggings (http://www.louandgrey.com/lou-&-grey-cozy-flipside-leggings/410633?skuId=22090461&defaultColor=6618&colorExplode=false&catid=cat1880002), but I could be wrong.  I bought two pairs in-store a year ago, and one pair is still in decent shape.  My black pair lasted about 6 months (wore a few times/week).

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #635 on: November 29, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
Thought of this thread today when my employer sent out a mass email letting the staff know that our webpage now had an apparel section with expanded options.

Excitedly went over to our website to price out work shirts with our logo to see if building a small work capsule was possible, alas, the outerwear and womens logo shirts were not mustachian in price. This is the part where I admit that thrifting has ruined me for life..

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: November 30, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
Here I am today: tan pants (Express), blue sweater (old, H&M), white shirt (Express), Clark's shoes.

I received two polo shirts from American Giant yesterday - they are xmas gifts for my boyfriend. They are really nice - solid soft fabric. He always wears polo shirts to work and tend to get them on clearance at Target. They often don't hold up very well in terms of the fabric eventually sort of twisting and not hanging right, the collars getting bent, and the shirts shrinking. We'll see how these two hold up. He wears more or less the same thing to work every day also (khakis, polo shirt) and does not have one bit of interest in clothing at all.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: November 30, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Just commenting to say that I bought those Clarks oxfords <3 <3 <3
I love them!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: November 30, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for where to purchase a formal dress?  I'm going to try a local thrift shop tomorrow, but I haven't bought a formal dress since high school prom (borrowed dresses for formals in college). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:33 AM »
Madgeylou - Do you find them comfortable? I feel like I could wear them and walk all over NYC and have no problem.

I am going to post later today some shoes that I am totally lusting after.

Anyhow - today, tan pants (Express), purple sweater (Sears, new), white shirt (Forver 21, old0, Clark's shoes

Pants and sweater and both making their second appearance this week.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: December 01, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Madgeylou - Do you find them comfortable? I feel like I could wear them and walk all over NYC and have no problem.

Yes I do find them comfy, which is unusual for me! I'm the queen of buying 3 different pairs of shoes from Zappos and sending them all back. When I first put them on, I was concerned they might be too narrow in the toes for me, but the wooly fabric seems to have warmed up and started to give. Very cute and comfy, I love them :)

Side note: I never understand why there aren't more shoes for people with wide toe areas and narrow heel areas. It seems to be a pretty common foot shape but no one seems to design for it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: December 03, 2016, 04:35:01 PM »
Ok - I have given some thought to my off work attire and what are the problems. I think I actually need more variability than for work. For instance, I want some nicer looking clothing for going out to dinner (not fancy, just not sweatpants), some sweatpants for running errands or hanging around the house, and workout clothing - plus a variety to account for temperature changes (shorts for summer, sleeveless tanks). The problem is right now I have a horrible mix of bits and pieces of things that fit in all three categories.

Category 1: nicer looking off-work clothing - going out to eat, meeting someone about something, etc. . This includes jeans, shirts, sweaters. My style tends to be preppy - pretty much similar to my work style. I think I am actually ok in terms of items I own in this category.

Category 2: comfortable more relaxed clothing for errands, sitting around the house, walking the dog, helping out at school. This category is a mess! I have too thin stretched out sweatpants from Target, shirts that really go w/ category 1 and aren't warm enough but are too dressy w/ sweatpants. Etc.

Category 3: workout clothing. I am also ok here. I don't care too much about what this clothing looks like, but functionality is extremely important. The nicer pieces for running can overlap into Category 2. I cycle (this clothing is very activity specific), run (just about anything 'active wear' works for this, and swim (activity specific again, of course). I plan to return to yoga and do more weights and stretching - running stuff will work fine for that.

So the problem is better defined. I ordered some American Giant sweatpants the other day - which are Category 2 items. Today I went to the Under Armor outlet and bought some fleece lined tops (OMG _ heaven) and those can be Category 2 or 3 items and some fleece lined leggings (yay) and fleece lined sweatpants. Everything matches and looks presentable.

Now I need to do the purge of the existing clothing that doesn't suit, I don't love, or it does't work for one reason or another. I'll probably need to do another round once hotter months are here. It is really an advantage to be able to wear the same weight clothing all year to work. 

I'll post some day off clothing along the way here too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: December 03, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
So I did not take the CCM position after all. They weren't willing to budge on location, and I wasn't going to budge on a 1hr 15min commute. So no work wardrobe changes after all! Thanks for all the help though everyone.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: December 04, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
So I did not take the CCM position after all. They weren't willing to budge on location, and I wasn't going to budge on a 1hr 15min commute. So no work wardrobe changes after all! Thanks for all the help though everyone.

That commute would have killed it for me too. Sorry it didn't work out Bracken Joy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
This is a category 2 outfit. The pants are new from Under Armor and are fleece lined and super cozy. THe shirt is pretty new as well, from Costco, also fleece lined. I wear a target stretch tank under almost all casual clothes in the winter. I have about 10 of them. They wear well and have lasted me years without too much problem (a little pilling).

My companion is Penelope Clementine Pup-pup Plume 'de Pants.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:41 AM »
This is a category 2 outfit. The pants are new from Under Armor and are fleece lined and super cozy. THe shirt is pretty new as well, from Costco, also fleece lined. I wear a target stretch tank under almost all casual clothes in the winter. I have about 10 of them. They wear well and have lasted me years without too much problem (a little pilling).

My companion is Penelope Clementine Pup-pup Plume 'de Pants.

I adore your dog. Floofy Pants are the height of dog fashion anyway.

Also, I wear target stretch tanks as well. Under my scrubs, for one, but also under a lot of misc tops- I have a long torso, so I have to layer them, especially under sweaters.

I think my category 2 is the weakest as well. I wonder if this is universal? I think I just steal from category 3 for most of it. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: December 05, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
I think my category 2 is the weakest as well. I wonder if this is universal? I think I just steal from category 3 for most of it.
My category 2 is actually pretty good due to some pressure from my mother at a Lou & Grey store.  I also frequently throw a tunic from category 2 on over category 3 outfits to look presentable for hanging out with friends post-workout.

My category 1 is a mess.  I have one pair of black skinny jeans, and I just bought a new pair of black boots.  I need tops though.  I have one nice sweater...and then it's t-shirts.  I also have a few nice tops in navy, which go with my brown riding boots (but I don't have a pants option).  I'm struggling to spend money on this category because I usually wear category 2/3 to hang out with friends (grab coffee after a workout, etc).  However, it would be nice to have category 1 options for date nights, nights out, etc.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: December 06, 2016, 05:08:05 AM »
Work uniform today. The Sears sweater makes another appearance, in another color. I ended up buying - 4 - pink, burgundy, blue, and gray. Love this blue color. I've posted these gray pants a bunch before - Express, probably at least 4 years old. White shirt, Express.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: December 06, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
Does the 3 or 4 category break down work for others?

W - work clothes
Category 1 - nicer off-work clothing (nicer jeans, nicer tops)
Category 2 - comfortable and presentable off work clothing (e.g. sweats, t-shirts)
Category 3 - exercise and workout clothing?

Is there another category? I guess I have "dressy" clothing for a party or wedding - but that really comes down to two dresses (one that I bought for a high school reunion 10 years ago, the other from H&M 2 years ago). There hardly seems like enough items, or that I get enough use out of them, to justify another category.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
I also keep a separate yard work stash, because I hate to dirty up my workout stuff. I know it's vain but I'm more likely to run if I feel good in my running gear. So the sports bra crosses the categories, but if I'm weeding / pruning / stacking logs etc I wear different outer clothes because they are very likely to get snagged on branches, hedges etc.