Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211548 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #550 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the jeggings feedback guys. I might just have to give them a try and see what I think- but will definitely start with 1 pair and see how bad the folding issue is. I have a *terrible* time finding jeans. As in, go to the store, try on 12+ pairs of jeans, have 0 that fit. This is a regular event for me. Hoping something elastic based will be more accommodating of my unusual proportions.

Definitely going to try ross/tj maxx/nordstroms rack type places.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #551 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:52 PM »
Bracken_Joy, I have jeggings and they are comfortable for me. I don't have the folding issue but agree they are less warm than regular pants. No special brand, something on super sale.

Shoes. Thanks MsP. I am going through mine now while I do the wardrobe thinking. What are everyone's strategies on matching up clothes and situations with fewer shoes?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2016, 02:36:11 AM »
I work in a very casual environment.  My work uniform is a pair of jeans (boot cut and slightly baggy) and a v-neck t-shirt (different colors of the Madewell slub tee).  My offices are REALLY cold (~60*F).  Right now, I just wear my fleece (Marmot, full on winter fleece) in the office.  I am looking to find something a little more pulled together.  Regular cardigans aren't warm enough. 

Anyone have any advice? 

Instead of layering on top of the t-shirt, first layer beneath.

I always wear a vest (as in, British vest, underwear, like a tank top but thermal material, do you know what I mean?).

My office gets very cold in winter. I wear a vest, then a thin t-shirt. I made is specially so that it has a ridiculously low scoop neck and wide shoulders and can't be seen poking out from the neckline of other things. Then I put on my dress or top.

It really barely adds any bulk, but it adds SO MUCH WARMTH. Way more than a cardigan on top. Even just the vest alone makes a huge difference, the second layer takes me from fine to toasty.

So seriously, stop adding on top, and start with warm base layers.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #553 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »
I know a lot of people don't want to buy new clothes but that's what finally helped me build a functional wardrobe and at the same time pare down what I have.

I got my basics from a department store collection with a lot of variety in the different pieces while still matching. It also made shopping quick as I'm one of those people that hate shopping and gets overwhelmed easily. I think it took me an hour and a half.

From there anything that doesn't match the new set got tossed. Same goes for worn items I've been hanging on to because I didn't have replacements and didn't want to have to go shopping.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Another uniform - same thing, different day. I'm quite happy, I've found, wearing quite literally the same thing every day. So easy - grab pants (any pair), grab shirt (any shirt - they are all the same), grab sweater (any color - they all work). DONE!

Loving my two new pairs of clarks shoes - so comfortable. The black ones in particular are spectacular. And no more cold feet from wearing skimpy flats.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »
Another uniform - same thing, different day. I'm quite happy, I've found, wearing quite literally the same thing every day. So easy - grab pants (any pair), grab shirt (any shirt - they are all the same), grab sweater (any color - they all work). DONE!

Loving my two new pairs of clarks shoes - so comfortable. The black ones in particular are spectacular. And no more cold feet from wearing skimpy flats.

Looks great! Has anyone at work ever commented on your wearing the same thing (style wise) daily?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: November 04, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »
MsPeacock, I have copied your style this fall :-) I'm usually a shell plus long open cardigan type person, but started wearing button up shirts and pullover sweaters recently.  I really like it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

Looks great! Has anyone at work ever commented on your wearing the same thing (style wise) daily?

Nope! No one has ever said anything. I even said something one day - basically stating I wear the same thing every day and no one said anything in response.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
MsPeacock, I have copied your style this fall :-) I'm usually a shell plus long open cardigan type person, but started wearing button up shirts and pullover sweaters recently.  I really like it.

I am extremely,rly flattered! I think the look would work for just about anyone and I find it comfortable and easy to wear.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: November 06, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
Does anyone have feedback on dress pants that are slim - but also easy to move around in? Like the feel of jeans but nicer material and a slim leg?

ETA also not just solid black or blue or navy - but in tiny patterns or heathering so they hide dirt better.

I want to get a few pairs and base my "back-to-work" after-maternity wardrobe on them and lab coats over simple shirts. (For my ultrasound work).

BUT I also have to lead events with 10-15 year olds - including crazy games and running around - some evenings during the week and I don't want a totally different wardrobe or to have to change into jeans for them. Ideally I could also wear these pants at home and not have to change into jeans either.

I looked at the Old Navy Pixie Pants and some of the "yoga pant dress pants" sold online but I'm not sure. I would like belt loops I think. And something that I can wear with flats or boots.

Update: I took advantage of Old Navy's free returns + a good sale to try out a few pairs of the Pixie Pants. I tried on a few in-store for sizing (they fit snug, I sized up). Online I got three on a good sale, in the "long pant" style of black, mini black dot and heather gray

I've already worn them to a craft show, a speaking engagement, work, hanging out with my mother-in-law and doing housework. I think these will be the new base pant for my wardrobe.

Initial thoughts:
- I see why they're so popular. They feel nice and thick
- The stretch is incredible. They're really easy to move in.
- The waistband and belt loops are thin, but they will take a slender belt.
- The fake back pockets + real front pockets is very useful. They look like trousers, not jeans, while retaining a functional front pocket.
- They don't need a belt! The waist is high enough to prevent flashing anything, even with my super-long torso.
- Usually I take a 32-inch inseam. This gets a little confusing:
  • The "ankle" pixie pant is designed to be worn above the ankles. It comes in Regular, Petite and Tall
  • The "long" pixie pant is designed more like a regular pant, but it's cut higher than one would wear wider pants. It comes in Regular, Petite and Tall
  • I ordered a "long" pixie pant in a Regular inseam which is 30". This style I think I should be wearing a 31" or so inseam
  • It looks a hair short, but there is almost 2 inches of fabric that's been hemmed up. I will let it out and stitch up a tiny hem. With that, they will work well.
  • In the future, I will order a "long" pant in "Tall" and that should be perfect. That size only comes online.
- They do stretch. After wearing twice, they get a little saggy in the rear and need a wash. I find that happens with most pants that work for me. Something about that skinny pant/stretch fabric/higher-waist combo.
- If these test pairs work out, I'll buy 2 more pairs at the after-Christmas sales and base my wardrobe off these + my usual jeans.

(For comparison, the jeans I wear often go down to $10 - the Lauren skinny from Bluenotes. Except for being a little lower in the rise and requiring a belt, they are a very similar silhouette to the Pixie pant and Bluenotes always has them).

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to add soon enough.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #560 on: November 06, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »
I like the Old Navy pixie pants as well. I have short legs, and found the "regular" ankle-length ones were perfect normal-length on me, with no need to hem them. I have one black pair for work that I bought a year ago, and might pick up a navy pair as well sometime if there's a good sale.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: November 07, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »
This is like the least-interesting, most-repetitive fashion posting ever. Here is today's outfit.  :)

Express pants, Express white shirt, blue sweater (JC Penny's I think, from last year). Black Clark's shoes.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: November 08, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »
I like this on you.
Black is a better colour than tan/beige for your pants.
The blue is a great pop of colour.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #563 on: November 08, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »

Nope! No one has ever said anything. I even said something one day - basically stating I wear the same thing every day and no one said anything in response.

Interesting! I guess it's proof that people aren't thinking about us much, they're too busy worrying what we think of them!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #564 on: November 09, 2016, 07:23:58 AM »

Interesting! I guess it's proof that people aren't thinking about us much, they're too busy worrying what we think of them!

I think that is very true. Also, that in general, if you blend into the typical look of most people around you, no one pays any attention. If I were to start wearing something either very uncharacteristic of my usual self, or very uncharacteristic of the typical work clothing around here (which is a mix of people in military uniforms and others in professional but not super formal business wear), people would probably notice. I guess that would mean maybe really high heels and tight skirts (not my usual), or idk - workout clothing (too casual) or ponchos something along those lines. 

Here is today's typical outfit: Express pants, express shirt, Clark's shoes, Forever 21 sweater.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:18 AM »
More of the same:

Black pants (Express), White shirt (Express), purple sweater (Land's End). Shoes: Clark's.

Express has occasional 40% off everything sales and - I think - last year they had 50% off everything after T-day (maybe all the way from Thanksgiving through Xmas, or maybe just the "black Friday" weekend). A good time to stock up if you wear their clothing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
Okay! This thread may just save my life now. Pending final acceptance, I will have my first ever OFFICE/management job. Oh em gee. Can't get away with scrubs daily anymore, in other words.

I like this thread because it shows me I will be able to figure outfits out *without* high heels. I'm too tall already, plus it's got travel and site visits. And also I hate them, so there's that.

MsPeacock, VERY apt time to mention the upcoming sale!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
Okay! This thread may just save my life now. Pending final acceptance, I will have my first ever OFFICE/management job. Oh em gee. Can't get away with scrubs daily anymore, in other words.

I like this thread because it shows me I will be able to figure outfits out *without* high heels. I'm too tall already, plus it's got travel and site visits. And also I hate them, so there's that.

Congratulations on the job offer!

I used to wear heels, then transitioned to flats - but my feet are cold without socks. Now I wear a more "men's" style shoe. The Clark's shoes are extremely comfortable.

Express pants have a pretty long inseam, and I think they offer tall sizing as well, if you are really tall. I am 5'7" and have to have them hemmed.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: November 15, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

I used to wear heels, then transitioned to flats - but my feet are cold without socks. Now I wear a more "men's" style shoe. The Clark's shoes are extremely comfortable.

Express pants have a pretty long inseam, and I think they offer tall sizing as well, if you are really tall. I am 5'7" and have to have them hemmed.

Thank you! It's up in the air if moving the planned office from [planned town] to [my town] will happen, but I turned down their original offer, so they're considering it, and if it does, I'm hired.

I'm 5'9" and have pretty long legs proportionally, and believe it or not the one pair of express pants I have are too long to wear with flats! I will probably have to get the hemmed if I want to use them with flats.

Question, what do people wear under ballet flats with slacks? Nude stocking style socks I'm guessing?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #569 on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
I wear off black or grey knee high nylons with flats and slacks. I wear tights with skirts and flats.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »

Thank you! It's up in the air if moving the planned office from [planned town] to [my town] will happen, but I turned down their original offer, so they're considering it, and if it does, I'm hired.

I'm 5'9" and have pretty long legs proportionally, and believe it or not the one pair of express pants I have are too long to wear with flats! I will probably have to get the hemmed if I want to use them with flats.

Question, what do people wear under ballet flats with slacks? Nude stocking style socks I'm guessing?
I wear the no-show socklette things.  I buy a multi-pack from American Apparel. 

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Congrats! With flats I wear either stocking-style socks (dress-up situation) or no socks at all (most of the time).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: November 16, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »
Congrats! With flats I wear either stocking-style socks (dress-up situation) or no socks at all (most of the time).

So is no socks okay then? I didn't know if you weren't supposed to do that. Like not wearing tights with a dress. Like I said, I've had very little exposure to even *seeing* business casual type outfits, much less assembling them myself.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #573 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »

So is no socks okay then? I didn't know if you weren't supposed to do that. Like not wearing tights with a dress. Like I said, I've had very little exposure to even *seeing* business casual type outfits, much less assembling them myself.

Depends on your office. See what others are doing, particularly female upper management.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #574 on: November 16, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »

Depends on your office. See what others are doing, particularly female upper management.

I may only have a couple weeks of training in the main office (5 employees, all women, only one person will be over me), tops probably 4 weeks, and then it's just me and one much older woman in the satellite office. So not a lot of options for cuing off people so much. Hopefully it'll be enough for me to get a good sense while also training for the role itself.

All I remember from the work I *have* done with the people in the role I'll be in is a lot of statement necklaces, haha. Which sucks because I'm allergic to all fakey or lower quality metals. I do love scarves though, so maybe I can do them as an alternative? =\

ETA:
I'll just have to be proactive. What are some norms I should look for and take notes on? I'm gonna go full nerd with this, if you guys will help me.

-No stockings with slacks and flats, normal?
-Are bracelets ever worn? (Healthcare and site visits, so I'm guessing no)
uh... all I got so far

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: November 16, 2016, 02:30:33 PM »
I do not wear stocking or socks with pants and flats or heels. I work in a fairly conservative office in DC. I sometimes don't wear socks with my oxford type shoes. Some of the women in my office go bare legged with skirts, others wear tights or stockings. I personally don't want to keep up on shaving and lotioning my legs enough to go bare legged and I can't stand hose and most tights, so I no longer wear skirts to work.

Remember that no one even see,s to notice at all what I wear to work - most likely the issue of socks or not won't be noticed by anyone but you, and you should do what is comfortable.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #576 on: November 16, 2016, 05:11:58 PM »

I may only have a couple weeks of training in the main office (5 employees, all women, only one person will be over me), tops probably 4 weeks, and then it's just me and one much older woman in the satellite office. So not a lot of options for cuing off people so much. Hopefully it'll be enough for me to get a good sense while also training for the role itself.

All I remember from the work I *have* done with the people in the role I'll be in is a lot of statement necklaces, haha. Which sucks because I'm allergic to all fakey or lower quality metals. I do love scarves though, so maybe I can do them as an alternative? =\

ETA:
I'll just have to be proactive. What are some norms I should look for and take notes on? I'm gonna go full nerd with this, if you guys will help me.

uh... all I got so far
My opinions. 

For the socks/stockings, wear whatever is comfortable.  Most wear thin stockings or no socks at all with flats where I work, but I always wear socks cause my feet are always cold.  Nothing is worth being uncomfortable.  Agree with someone else who suggested Clarks flat shoes, many of them are meant to go with socks and are super comfortable!

For statement necklaces, try strings of beads with no metal clasp, like the ones that on go over your head.  Or scarves, tons of people wear scarves instead of necklaces, myself included many days.  If you're a visiting nurse or similar I'd say no jewelry on your hands or wrists except maybe a plain wedding band if you wear one.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #577 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »

ETA:

uh... all I got so far
My opinions. 

For the socks/stockings, wear whatever is comfortable.  Most wear thin stockings or no socks at all with flats where I work, but I always wear socks cause my feet are always cold.  Nothing is worth being uncomfortable.  Agree with someone else who suggested Clarks flat shoes, many of them are meant to go with socks and are super comfortable!

For statement necklaces, try strings of beads with no metal clasp, like the ones that on go over your head.  Or scarves, tons of people wear scarves instead of necklaces, myself included many days.  If you're a visiting nurse or similar I'd say no jewelry on your hands or wrists except maybe a plain wedding band if you wear one.

Yeah, luckily my whole wedding set was designed with gloves and infection in mind (love my husband, haha). Plus does double duty with me not hurting myself with prongs, ahem.

Okay, glad no socks seems acceptable. I hate socks under flats. They always sit funny. Although I suppose if I'm in the car a million hours for site visits, I might want my compression socks, but those are never attractive =P

The string of beads is a really good idea!

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »
I don't work in a super-stuffy environment. If anything, people would notice if I *did* wear tights with a dress! Aside from which: I'm not comfortable wearing tights. So unless it's an interview or client meeting, not for me.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
I dunno... I see the mood in here is anti-tights and socks (which I totally get!).

But to the person going for their first job, I would advise definitely to overdress at first. Wait and see. In my organisation, tights are a MUST and shoes without socks would not go down well. You don't want your career scuppered because people in more casual offices gave you advice (totally valid) but based on their circumstances. It all hinges on context, and the organisation you will be working in.

I also, unfortunately disagree on the 'comfort first' mantra. It's sexist, it's wrong, but women get paid more if they wear makeup to work. High heels are uncomfortable. They were (sadly) necessary for me to make it to the position I am in now. I wish they weren't. But we don't live in a perfect world, we live in the real world, and if you want to FIRE, you need to chose which hill you die on, you know?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »
I dunno... I see the mood in here is anti-tights and socks (which I totally get!).

But to the person going for their first job, I would advise definitely to overdress at first. Wait and see. In my organisation, tights are a MUST and shoes without socks would not go down well. You don't want your career scuppered because people in more casual offices gave you advice (totally valid) but based on their circumstances. It all hinges on context, and the organisation you will be working in.

I also, unfortunately disagree on the 'comfort first' mantra. It's sexist, it's wrong, but women get paid more if they wear makeup to work. High heels are uncomfortable. They were (sadly) necessary for me to make it to the position I am in now. I wish they weren't. But we don't live in a perfect world, we live in the real world, and if you want to FIRE, you need to chose which hill you die on, you know?

I agree with this assessment. I never wore heels higher than 3", though. How The Duchess of Cambridge does it is beyond me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #581 on: November 17, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »

This is a very valuable perspective. Luckily, I think from what I *have* seen I can confidently say we're on the side of casual/comfortable overall. Probably a big part of that is being not-large-city west coast. We just don't *do* formal out here the way a lot of places do. Plus, every employee except 1 at the office has done the same thing I did- transition from being a bedside RN into nursing management. Interestingly enough, an all female office as well- although that's not too odd considering it's an underpaid nursing field, I suppose.

The interesting one is, since I have to go to the main office (2hrs from home) for my training, I will be staying in a hotel each week while I train. So I need to have enough clothes to make it the whole week without doing laundry, with the ability for some flex if I discover a major faux pas. Which will take a while to assemble from cheap sources, BUT, I don't officially know if I have the job yet (it will be me if they put the new office where I asked, otherwise I said I don't want the position, so up in the air in that respect), so I don't want to buy a bunch of office clothes if I'll be staying bedside after all! Oh my, the conundrums. Hopefully I hear soon and it solves that whole concern. I won't be starting until the new year, so they're not in a big rush to get back to me I'm sure.

(Isn't it interesting how a topic that should be pretty basic, like clothes, becomes a reflection of career trajectories?)

Okay, so can we put together my "uniform" for 5 days work?
Guidelines:
I will be sitting at desks a lot, walking quickly around hospitals, and going into people's homes. I will be riding in cars with coworkers or have them riding in mine. I live in the PNW so there will be giant puddles everywhere. Low dangle/drape factor a plus, because of infection risk.
-No heels
-Probably sticking with pants, as I'm most comfortable in them, but I haven't really given skirts or dresses a try- it's just a big category so I wouldn't know where to start
-5 days of outfits, no laundry, small chance children will vomit on me, so a high degree of inter compatibility is a plus

If I were to do slacks only, probably 3 pairs to get me through a week? I currently have 1 pair that need shortened that I could wear. And I have precisely 1 blouse that I can wear. That's... pretty much it. Even all my flats are pretty shot at this point. I'm a clean slate you guys.

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »
If I keep posting links to the Vivienne files website, people are going to think I'm getting paid a commission. LOL.

No, but really, spend some time over at her website, she's the queen of mix and match wardrobes. It's all she's been doing for years now. I had to redo my whole closet after losing weight and due to budget constraints, had to rethink the whole way I purchased clothes, as I had a lot of pretty items, but lots of "I don't have anything to wear!" sentiments at time. A good starting point is her 4x4 wardrobe, which consists of:

1.four pieces in the first neutral color ( she usually suggests, two bottoms, two tops - a short sleeve & a long sleeve or jacket / cardigan),
2.four pieces in the 2nd neutral color (likewise),
3.four piece to combine the neutrals (Ex. Long sleeve plaid shirt that mixes the colors, additional garments to supplement the above), and 
4.4 accent items (Usually additional tops in some other neutral colors that fix in with your palette).

One thing to note is that I know some people don't like to dress in "blocks of color", which is fine though. The beauty of streamlining your color palette is that any shoes / accessories that you buy for one thing, will flow with the rest. And really, you can apply the above to dresses, pants, skirts, whatever floats your boat.

I personally like dark gray(pewter) and navy for my neutrals and those two go with a million other colors you can supplement with. On my closet its coral / purples / pinks for the most part with some additions, because those are the colors people always complement me on.

What colors look good on you, Bracken_Joy? How about we start there?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:50:50 AM by Jardeny »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »
Another day, another uniform. My back is killing me, thus the shoes today and the more relaxed pants. To me this looks less dressy, but it is fine for my office. I generally go slightly nicer than this - but whatever works was the mantra today.

White shirt (Forever 21), tan pants (Sears - I think, old ), sweater (H&M), shoes (TJ Maxx, I think)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »

I am not opposed to tights - I just find them uncomfortable and as a result I don't wear skirts (I also am cold in skirts and dresses). I used to feel that high heels were dressier and arguably necessary for professional dress. But the reality is that for most women they aren't something that can be worn as you get older. I am sure there are exceptions to that rule. I can say with great confidence that there isn't' a single woman in my office that wears heels, regardless of age or position. Its flats or maybe a 1" wedge sort of heel at maximum. I rarely see anyone in the entire workplace (large hospital) wearing heels. At least here the expectations isn't heels for women. (Thank goodness.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:18:13 AM by MsPeacock »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #585 on: November 17, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
If I keep posting links to the Vivienne files website, people are going to think I'm getting paid a commission. LOL.

No, but really, spend some time over at her website, she's the queen of mix and match wardrobes. It's all she's been doing for years now. I had to redo my whole closet after losing weight and due to budget constraints, had to rethink the whole way I purchased clothes, as I had a lot of pretty items, but lots of "I don't have anything to wear!" sentiments at time. A good starting point is her 4x4 wardrobe, which consists of:

1.four pieces in the first neutral color ( she usually suggests, two bottoms, two tops - a short sleeve & a long sleeve or jacket / cardigan),
2.four pieces in the 2nd neutral color (likewise),
3.four piece to combine the neutrals (Ex. Long sleeve plaid shirt that mixes the colors, additional garments to supplement the above), and 
4.4 accent items (Usually additional tops in some other neutral colors that fix in with your palette).

One thing to note is that I know some people don't like to dress in "blocks of color", which is fine though. The beauty of streamlining your color palette is that any shoes / accessories that you buy for one thing, will flow with the rest. And really, you can apply the above to dresses, pants, skirts, whatever floats your boat.

I personally like dark gray(pewter) and navy for my neutrals and those two go with a million other colors you can supplement with. On my closet its coral / purples / pinks for the most part with some additions, because those are the colors people always complement me on.

What colors look good on you, Bracken_Joy? How about we start there?

I tend to be drawn to turquoise, dusty purple, magenta, brick red, bright green (like spring green), royal blue- a lot of pretty bright clear colors. I tend to like black pants, I think because I like the contrast. My go to winter jacket for the last... decade (wow) is a bright red wool coat.

As far as the seasonal color palette stuff, I think I'm a "light spring"- more golden/warm undertones to my skin, I wear gold vs silver jewelry now, honey blonde hair with a some red undertones sometimes. But, I have grey-blue eyes, so...? I dunno, color stuff has always baffled me a bit, and I tend to grab colors that make me think of happy, nature-y things. I tend not to gravitate toward patterns. I don't dislike them per se, and I like patterns on scarves, I just have never really bought clothes with much for patterns. Except dresses. Maybe that's the problem- if I have to do more than one item to make an outfit to coordinate it, I don't buy patterns. Ah yes, I think we call that "laziness".

Ah. Instead of trying to describe everything, I will just attach a photo of the items I tend to wear the most. It's a low light day, so that's inside light, hopefully the colors come across well.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Grey and black pants would work with everything. Get a blazer in one of your favorite brights for dress up.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
BrackenJoy, I think your colors look great!  (I will assume they flatter your skin tone, I'm not great at that and took several years to determine what colors worked for me.)  They all have a similar theme of bright clear solids and like pbkmaine says they all will go well with plain black or charcoal pants.  It looks like they tend to be scoop and v neck knits, and I'd personally say that most of those can be dressed up for a work environment with pants, a nice sweater or blazer, and a scarf.

If you're going to be wearing jewel tone tops like that then your best bet for all the other bit pieces are neutrals like black, grey, and white.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Wow, I didn't think wearing any of my t-shirts could be an option! They're in good shape fabric wise (new, actually, thanks to a commercial salvage from goodwill. Woo!). But it'll be awesome if I can use a base I already have.

My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it. For Henleys or similar to fit, I buy men's. How on earth do I fit "tall and lanky" for items like jackets and cardigans? (That aren't extremely blocky/men's cut).

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »
Bracken Joy, I second the recommendation to read through the Starting from Scratch wardrobe series on the Vivienne Files.  It's a bit of a rabbit hole, to be sure, but I learned a ton and am moving forward with confidence.  The first thing that helped me was to think about--as others have already said--2 basic neutral colours that you prefer, and 2 accent colours.  I looked at my current wardrobe and it became clear that charcoal and black would be my neutrals (oh the relief from considering whether I should buy camels, navy's, etc!).  You also then add denim as its own category of neutral, which is also super-helpful as dressy denim is a big part of what's available for business-casual wear right now.

So charcoal and black for you would work: at least one of each in a pair of pants, plus a pair of dressier denim.  Then, personally, I'm not comfortable in blazers, so I'm in cardigans all the way.  These should be more forgiving with your arm length, as they can be worn at 3/4 (pushed up a bit) or in a looser style that the flowy shells have.  One of each in black and charcoal, if that's what you're going with.

Then you have 3 colours for tops: whatever shade of white works on you (I can't wear pure white--too stark), and 2 accent colours.  From your photo, I'd suggest green and red, but you could also go with whatever colours you prefer or like to wear most often.  Again, I found it so freeing to just focus on every shade of blue and purple--from baby blue to navy, from lavender to indigo/violet--and to let go of all the others.  In your case, you'd have every shade of green (for different seasons too) and red.  Some of your current t-shirts could definitely work, and you can build from there.

The website also talks about thinking about your preferences for oxford, button-up shirts vs flowy, drapey blouses or tunics, or pattern, or whatever.  Just recognizing that you should acknowledge what you feel comfortable in and stick to it; stop picking out things you think you *should* like, but that then you never really wear. What a thought! :)

So you would end up with an easy wardrobe and daily routine of a pair of pants, a comfortable/professional shirt, + a cardigan or whatever you decide you like as a shell.  Every colour of each will work in an easy rotation, and you build accessories to change things up a bit more.  I am not really a jewellry person, but I love scarves, so I have collected a few in different, plain colours (I'm a colour-blocker, not really a pattern person).  Wouldn't that be easy? :-)

I wanted to add, too, that I'm working in that same west coast, laid-back, business-casual world.  Socks are only an issue for you to decide around comfort.  Some women like blazers, but there are no suits.  No heels, although some women like that 1" that Mrs Peacock was talking about.  Some women wear only pants, some are more comfortable in dresses.  Totally up to you.

Personally, my uniforms for winter are a pair of blundstones (which I wear with wool socks, but I've done lots of Clark's shoes over the years and haven't done ballet flats precisely because I LOVE my wool socks in winter) and some not-too skinny charcoal pants, or boots and skinny dark denim, plus a camisole that I can tuck in for warmth, and then a merino wool sweater (I bought 3 this year from Costco!  They had all my colours: black, purple and light blue!) and a more decorative scarf or sometimes a glass pendant.  I am still looking for some lighter blouses and need to add a black cardigan.  I have some lovely black trousers, but need some black shoes to go with them.  Again, the Vivienne Files pages were so helpful for me to assess what I already had, and what gaps would be useful to fill.

I am also considering adding a dress or too: nothing to formal, but something I could wear either with tights or black leggings, and either my blunnies or my boots.  I think that would be warm and comfortable for winter.

In thinking about your situation, I also think if I was going into people's homes, I wouldn't want to dress too formally.  I would want to be professional, clean and tidy, but not so formal as to be dressed way above the way people dress in their own homes, as I would want to be able to put them at ease.  I would also probably go with socks, as here at least most people take their shoes off when they enter someone's home, and I'm not really comfortable barefoot in that scenario for some reason! :)  But YMMV on that one!

(is it too unmustachian to admit that I'm going shopping this weekend?! :)  Honestly, it's a wonderful feeling to know what I need and know that when I find it I will wear it for years to come.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: November 17, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
Oh man, BYF, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed outlined. (And as an aside, we never remove shoes. It is our workplace, and in the patient home's we're held to OSHA standards- close toed shoes required.)

Okay, slacks+shirt+cardigan I can totally do. That's actually pretty much what I wear daily now, just a cardigan instead of a zip up and slacks instead of jeans/jeggings/yoga pants.

Also, I realized I have never owned a white shirt. Or off white. Is that weird? I assume because I know myself well enough that wearing white seems like asking for trouble.

I will need to buy some new flats, too, as mine are getting *very* worn out, or are open toe. Do I just go with black for these? ...my flats right now are variations of: dusty purple, bright color splotches, and a (now deceased) pair of bright green ones. I think my style is best described as "oooooh I like that color!"

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »
Oh man, BYF, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed outlined. (And as an aside, we never remove shoes. It is our workplace, and in the patient home's we're held to OSHA standards- close toed shoes required.)

Okay, slacks+shirt+cardigan I can totally do. That's actually pretty much what I wear daily now, just a cardigan instead of a zip up and slacks instead of jeans/jeggings/yoga pants.

Also, I realized I have never owned a white shirt. Or off white. Is that weird? I assume because I know myself well enough that wearing white seems like asking for trouble.

I will need to buy some new flats, too, as mine are getting *very* worn out, or are open toe. Do I just go with black for these? ...my flats right now are variations of: dusty purple, bright color splotches, and a (now deceased) pair of bright green ones. I think my style is best described as "oooooh I like that color!"

Definitely a pair of black flats to start.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Okay, current shopping/to-do list:
-get current black slacks hemmed so I can wear them with flats
-buy a charcoal pair
-possibly one other black pair
-2 cardigans: one black, one charcoal
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me to see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #593 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
-buy a charcoal pair
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

Yay!  I should add that how many days in a week you need to wear this wardrobe also influences how many pieces you need.  This term I only need to look professional 3 days a week, so I've been managing with 2 pairs of pants and 3-6 tops just fine (I do wear some of the tops with more casual outfits).  But come January I'm on campus 4 days/week, so I will likely want that pair of black trousers in rotation, or to find a skirt I'm comfortable in.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: November 17, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »
-buy a charcoal pair
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

Yay!  I should add that how many days in a week you need to wear this wardrobe also influences how many pieces you need.  This term I only need to look professional 3 days a week, so I've been managing with 2 pairs of pants and 3-6 tops just fine (I do wear some of the tops with more casual outfits).  But come January I'm on campus 4 days/week, so I will likely want that pair of black trousers in rotation, or to find a skirt I'm comfortable in.

5 days per week minimum. Likely some 6. =\

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #595 on: November 18, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »
Sounds like you're on the right track!

My question regards how many of each item you'll need.  What is the cleanliness level expected?  Can you wear pants 2-3 days between washing?  That's what I do but my job is definitely not concerned with personal care so your answer may be different.  Have enough pants for 1 week of work.  For me in your situation that would be 3 pairs I think.

Tops you'll want 6, and sweaters 2 or 3.  Then 2-4 scarves or necklaces.

Oh, and yes, black shoes go with everything!  You'd laugh to see my shoes, almost every pair is black, and I can grab whatever will be comfortable for that day and look put together.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
 https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xy8osWAOvsk/U6ruGRqFZjI/AAAAAAAANPQ/6ODMFLwQVJ0/s1600/navy+and+grey+start+from+scratch+wardrobe+step+7.jpg

Congrats to B_Joy on the new job.
The above link is an idea for your week away. Insert your own clothes where you can.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
Thank you guys! Yeah, I'm thinking 3 pairs pants will be ideal. 2 cardigans (see if any of the ones I have now will work- one white, one black, one maroon, but they all fit a bit eh, we'll see how they do with slacks), the 1 blouse I already have, then I still need to play dress up with the tops I have and see what will look okay.

And then the black shoes.

Game plan in place! And packing list thanks to DDD.

Okay, I checked the slacks I currently have. I was wrong on two counts: 1, I can already wear them with flats, don't know why I thought they were too long? 2- they are NOT express, they are Calvin Klein. These ones: https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-Womens-Modern-Suit/dp/B00ESXF1EK?th=1&psc=1 Unfortunately, do not seem to come in grey anywhere. Mega sigh. This means I have to go somewhere and *try things on*.

Also checked, all cardigans are worn enough that I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them in a work setting. My scarf collection is on point though ;) 11! And that is after a lot of minimalism purges, haha.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:03:31 PM by Bracken_Joy »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
Taupe would work if you can't find grey.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
You don't have to have gray. You can wear all black slacks if you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:23:02 PM by PMG »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!