Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211477 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!  I'm planning to go to Nordstrom and DSW in a few weeks.  I went to Nine West a few weeks ago, but my size was too wide :(

Planning to do a full Kondo of all my clothes this weekend.  I've gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a ton left.  Wish me luck :-)
Good luck!

Thank you.  The purge is done.  I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I would like.  As a matter of fact, I pretty much knew what would leave the closet before I even started.  But I have probably a dozen pairs of pants (all in a size too small for me now), a few shorts (too small as well), six or so tops, a bag, a couple of scarves and a  pair of shoes that will make it to the consignment store.  I also have an unworn dress/tunic to return and I packed a bag of stuff for donation as well.  Not too bad and it only took me about an hour.  Still tons of stuff left but progress has been made :-)

Good job! And if you are anything like me, in a few months you'll do another purge and more stuff will go.

It has been frustrating to me to change pants sizes a few times in the past years. It has necessitated me buying new pants - about 3 times now. I hope to stay where I am now. But at one point I got rid of all the 'small' because they were just not wearable and purchased 'bigger.' Then I lost weight again, back to 'small' - had to buy or alter pants again. This was over the course of 3 or 4 years - so not a monthly thing or anything.  Now if I could just stay where I am!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #501 on: April 19, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
It has been frustrating to me to change pants sizes a few times in the past years. It has necessitated me buying new pants - about 3 times now. I hope to stay where I am now. But at one point I got rid of all the 'small' because they were just not wearable and purchased 'bigger.' Then I lost weight again, back to 'small' - had to buy or alter pants again. This was over the course of 3 or 4 years - so not a monthly thing or anything.  Now if I could just stay where I am!

I have the same issue, just reverse.  I have gone from a small size 4 to a solid 8 over the last few years.  The pants I finally decided to get rid of are all size 6 and I haven't fit into them for well over a year now.  Now I just want to stay where I am...  I hate going through menopause!

We had a first truly warm day yesterday so I broke out one of my summer outfits from last year.  Unfortunately, the cardigan will have to go.  It started shedding like crazy so that I was covered in navy fuzz from head to toe.  I've had this cardigan for a few years now and really like it but I think the repeated washing caused it to basically disintegrate...  I also have another one of the same style in a different color that I suspect will do the same thing as I try it on.  Since these cardis have been my summer office staples for a few years now, I ordered replacements (similar style) from Gap yesterday.  They had a great sale going on.  I hope I like them as much as I liked the old ones (which were from Banana Republic).

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #502 on: April 23, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
I've maintained a minimalist wardrobe for years. It's embarassingly small my total clothing collection but I'll put forth what has allowed me to get so far down this road.

1. I dont give a shit what people think about me, especially coworkers. I do work in a semi-professional environemnt (pharmaceutical scientist), so I do have to look the part a bit.

2. I have no problem wearing the same article of clothing several times in a week, whether I have washed it or not (undergarments aside).

3. I will wear clothing until it literally falls off my body from deterioration

4. As clothing deteriorates, I play a game whereby I see how long I can go before replacing said item, letting my wardrobe dwindle  down to ridicuous levels. This extra time gives me the opportunity to sniff out rockbottom sales to replace said item(s).

5. I resign that I will have to wash more frequently due to limited clothing

6. I try to buy QUALITY clothing that is durable with a longer lifespan. Yes, hard to do in todays world, but I still try. This is especially important with footwear.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
Discovering dresses were basically one choice in the morning was a life-changer for me, @allsummerlong! A few cardigans/wraps for the chill of the office, a sturdy pair of shoes, and voila.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
I am downsizing from a clown house (2200 sf) to a 350sf Fifth wheel trailer. We will have access to a W/D, but at the expense of invading someone's home when we do wash... so, I am looking to create a 2 week wardrobe for work. So far I'm down to 5 prs. pants: 3 jeggings, 2 pr nice jeans. Tops Im going with white tshirts for casual, 5 hoodies (this is going to be hard as I have so many) say 3 sweater layers with 3 to 5 nice under tops (cream or white)

I have a lifetime supply of scarves, not sure I want to have them as part of this rotation or not yet. I think for now I will box and store them all up at the main house and if I feel too drab, I will pull out a couple of colorful ones for summer.

This is going to be soooo hard for me as Im used to lots of options.

I only wear Frye boots(for the jeggings) and Georgie Boy pull ons (for the jeans), going to limit to 3 pair total work shoes over the summer, will see how that goes.

For exercising I need yoga pants (have many pair) say 2 pair, and one pair of sweatpants for walking. Tennies... Lets toss in a couple pair of shorts, khakis (don't own these yet).

gah, hope I can make this work! DH needs some room for his clothes too:)

Will be monitoring this thread as I ebb and flow through this process. We list our home next week, so very soon I will need to put my plan into action.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Discovering dresses were basically one choice in the morning was a life-changer for me, @allsummerlong! A few cardigans/wraps for the chill of the office, a sturdy pair of shoes, and voila.
Exactly! so easy.

Interesting. One of my decisions in paring down was the get rid of all my dresses and skirts. My go to is black pants and a white blouse. I get so cold in the winter in dresses and legging drive me nuts because they never quite fit right.

I guess the moral of the story so find the one thing that works for you and do it over and over - be that dresses or black pants.

Total side note. We have denim day at work this Wednesday. This has never happened before and probably won't happen again. I a, so excited! White blouse and jeans instead of white blouse and black pants. Super exciting!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #506 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
Exactly! so easy.

Interesting. One of my decisions in paring down was the get rid of all my dresses and skirts. My go to is black pants and a white blouse. I get so cold in the winter in dresses and legging drive me nuts because they never quite fit right.

I guess the moral of the story so find the one thing that works for you and do it over and over - be that dresses or black pants.

Total side note. We have denim day at work this Wednesday. This has never happened before and probably won't happen again. I a, so excited! White blouse and jeans instead of white blouse and black pants. Super exciting!

I have decided to get rid of my dresses as well.  I don't really like wearing dresses that much and have a hard time finding dresses that fit me well.  I mostly wear pants but I do like pencil skirts so I have 3 of them (worn with the same tops that I wear with my pants). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
Interesting how reducing wardrobe means not Judy picking out what you like, but categorically eliminating some pieces (no dresses!). Certainly helps with reducing the volume of clothing.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
I don't put anything away for the seasons - I layer or wear sweaters when I travel to offices (air conditioning gets me) so other than things that already live in the coat closet there isn't much of a change. With a small wardrobe it doesnt take up much closet space :-)

I am team skirt and team jegging.  I went a winter without skinny jeans and while I like my regular jeans, they make my 5'4" self look even shorter. I love my floor length maxi dresses so much I am eyeing a floor length skirt for more variety with the same quality - breathes in the summer but keeps some warmth in the winter while looking fantastic.  That was definitely a surprise to me: I bought my first because it was configurable and I planned on wearing it short most of the time, only to find that I liked it long.

I do not own non-athletic shorts. My last pair wore out years ago and never replaced them. I avoid dress pants if I can but prefer to wear them during travel days for comfort. 

More capsule than uniform these days, but I did the uniform for a while - I got bored having the same shape all of the time. That being said, I don't have makeup, jewelry,  or scarves to mix things up.  I tried once - not me.

5 years in to a small wardrobe and I still try to keep it as optimised as possible! 40 items total for year round I think? New fancy job had an influx of Goodwill professional clothing, so maybe a bit higher than that now.

I will add Brass to the list of clothing manufacturers of quality, timeless,  and decently priced (my price point is higher than some here - I vote with my dollars for transparency and ethics. Clothing and food see the bulk of that charity tax), Seamly.co and Icebreaker/Patagonia to the list.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: April 26, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
Interesting how reducing wardrobe means not Judy picking out what you like, but categorically eliminating some pieces (no dresses!). Certainly helps with reducing the volume of clothing.

I'm curious about how many clothes you all have in storage for other seasons? I have 1 large rubbermaid bin and an out of the way closet w/ a small amount of things like winter boots/coat/mitts, etc... I'm starting to feel like I can actually purge that down even more (I've already been through several purges). Some of the clothes I used to love when I was younger no longer feel "like me." Did you notice that your style changed as you aged?

None. I have no clothing in storage. Everything fits in my closet (about a 30" long closet rod) and dresser. I used to have bins under the bed, but they were eliminated in the general purge. I feel like I have a few too many long sleeved shirts and probably one or two redundant sweaters, a couple pairs of dress pants that might go. I am sure another purge will come along before too long. One of my hard limits on the clothing is everything has to fit w/o using bins.

I recently bought a couple pairs of short, one workout capri (like yoga pants I guess), and some new jog bras (purged many more out that were sad and elastic gone on them).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #510 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »
I have a bunch of items out of rotation seasonally, but all of them in my large closet so not stored away.  Currently my wool and cashmere sweaters, long sleeve t-shirts, flannel shirts, corduroy pants and wool pants are put away for the summer.  In the winter, I have shorts, t-shirts, white jeans, lightweight cotton pants, lightweight cotton and linen sweaters folded and put away on a high shelf in the closet.  With the climate I live in, we can have snowy winters with temps in single digits and sweltering summers with temps in the 90s, both for weeks at a time.  It would be difficult to have one set of clothes that works for all seasons.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: April 28, 2016, 03:47:24 AM »
I do rotate seasonally, even though Marie Kondo said not too. The reason for me is that in my climate I need sleeveless stuff for summer, and sleeves for winter. I know people say 'layer' but I can be bothered shaving my underarms without good reason in the winter, so I wouldn't feel presentable wearing something sleeveless even with a cardigan on top with stubble (ugh, sorry TMI. But I've always wondered whether 'layering' people are just very regular shavers?).

Also, warm dresses for winter etc just clutter the wardrobe in the summer. I prefer having space all year round, even though I could fit everything in at once. The extra items add to my decision fatigue if I keep them in the wardrobe, as I have to mentally rule them out every day. Better for me to have them stored elsewhere.

Elsewhere, btw, is just a drawer in my regular dresser. I put everything away (clean) at the change of the season. If we were to get unusual weather I can easily get something out, but they aren't hanging in my wardrobe, or in my 'shirt' drawer, so I can effectively forget about out of season items.

(Before Kondoing they were stored high up and out of reach and it was much drama to do the switchover. Now I have less stuff the drawer solution is brilliant, as I can add things over a few weeks as the seasons change instead of a big swap all at once). Everything that is single-season fits in one drawer (large Ikea malm).

Diniecita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
I love my capsule wardrobe. I have 42 pieces. I follow the unfancy.com 37 number. I can get to that number, but I really like having more shoe options. I have been working on mine for a few years. purging things that I didn't wear and finding things at the thrift store for a dollar to test out certain looks. I figured out what looks best on my body and I've been sticking with that. With all the cycling I've been doing lately I may have to buy some new pants soon. My old ones aren't fitting right anymore. I, unlike some of the people who have posted before, actually enjoy shopping a little bit. As long as I'm not going with someone who wants to stay all day or take me to the mall. I like to go places that sell quality things or to the thrift stores.
Does anybody here do their capsule wardrobe by their seasonal coloring? I do, and I feel certain colors look better on me. For example, I rarely wear black as I'm a light summer.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
Bumping again.

Still wearing the same stuff from when the thread started. A few of the white shirts are a bit grayish now. I am waiting until November to replace a couple because last year Express had BYGO sales around Black Friday.

I would post pictures but they would be exactly the same as earlier ones. :). Spending way way way way less on clothes than in previous years; arguably replaced by spending on triathlon equipment (defintely more bang for my buck). Still make occasional missteps on things I purchase in terms of wardrobe, but frequency is down like 90%.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #514 on: September 17, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
I still wouldn't call my wardrobe a capsule, but it's doing well.  I have my rules, certain colors and shapes that I love and look good on me, and I've stuck to that.  Yesterday I did a full on purge of every drawer and hanger, and what remains is fantastic!  I might replace 1 or 2 sweaters that I loved but had worn out, but that's about all.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2016, 03:26:59 AM »
Posting to follow. I don't have a capsule wardrobe for work, but would like to head that way for ease and frugality.

ETA: OK, just read through the thread! Ms P, I like your capsule, it looks very appropriate. Got MK on reserve at the library. Long waitlist!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:37:37 AM by stashgrower »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
I am doing a few updates. Decided against cardigans (too fussy). Replaced a few white shirts that are more grey now. Decided to get the shirts from Express, and pants as well. Both fit me well and were on sale for 40% off this weekend. Got a few sweaters to replace the cardigans (v-neck or crew pullovers only now). Purging more stuff. Kind of change of seasons time to get rid of the most offensively stained sweatpants and get some winter running and cycling gear. My work clothes are more and more the same outfit every day, with slight variations in color. Two new pairs of warm shoes. I reached a new level of clarity in terms of what I am most comfortable wearing at work. I'll post a couple new photos over the next few days. 

Irrationally in love with both pairs of shoes.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2016, 04:57:30 AM »
Today's uniform. Pants and shirt are old. New shoes (pictured above) and sweater (standard crew neck).

Not a great photo, but you get the general idea.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
I'm in love with your shoes too! <3

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm in love with your shoes too! <3

They are super comfortable! Like all day right out of the box walk all over comfortable.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
So I actually have a few small wardrobes. :) Work clothes pencil skirt + sweater or dress), casual/church clothes and workout clothes. I also have a box of maternity clothes that I keep at the back of my closet but not out all the time. I just packed it away and am working today to purge the closet and see what fits and what can go. I have found while home on maternity leave, im perfectly content with 4 pair running shorts, 6 t-shirts and a couple of shirts for church. In the winter I'll swap that out for 2 pair yoga pants and 1 pair of jeans.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »
Today:

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2016, 04:55:26 AM »
In a year or so I'm going to be flying the coop, so I will be doing extreme clothing downsizing. I've had renewed determination to ditch things I don't need. Likely result:

1-2 pairs running shorts
3-5 workout shirts
1 bathing suit
1 pair jeans
1 skirt
3-4 shirts
2 pairs leggings/tights
A few dresses (need to figure out which travel easiest) (oh god this is gonna be tough)
2 long-sleeved shirts/cardigans
1 sweatery thing
Pea coat or puffy coat (ideally would figure out a more compact cold-weather colution
1 pair sneakers
1 pair snow boots
1-2 scarves
1 set sleepytime clothes

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is my preliminary brainstorm.

Are you paring down in order to travel, to move to smaller digs, to save money? This is a very minimal list of clothing - which is neither good nor bad - I am just wondering the purpose.

One thought - do you need a pair of dress shoes? I only see sneakers and snow boots.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »
In a year or so I'm going to be flying the coop, so I will be doing extreme clothing downsizing. I've had renewed determination to ditch things I don't need. Likely result:

1-2 pairs running shorts
3-5 workout shirts
1 bathing suit
1 pair jeans
1 skirt
3-4 shirts
2 pairs leggings/tights
A few dresses (need to figure out which travel easiest) (oh god this is gonna be tough)
2 long-sleeved shirts/cardigans
1 sweatery thing
Pea coat or puffy coat (ideally would figure out a more compact cold-weather colution
1 pair sneakers
1 pair snow boots
1-2 scarves
1 set sleepytime clothes

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is my preliminary brainstorm.

Are you paring down in order to travel, to move to smaller digs, to save money? This is a very minimal list of clothing - which is neither good nor bad - I am just wondering the purpose.

One thought - do you need a pair of dress shoes? I only see sneakers and snow boots.

Re bolded question: All of the above! Planning on an indefinite sabbatical and slow-travel, which will also involve living in smaller spaces and saving money.

Good call on the dress shoes. I'm mentally prepping for true backpacking, although that won't happen at first. In that case, I'm not lugging around fancy shoes for what might a quarterly occurrence. But while I'm in the US, it may be worth it.

The list isn't that much smaller than my current wardrobe, once you get rid of my work-only clothes. Already have one pair of jeans, one skirt, and wear my sneakers everywhere. The big change will be paring down dresses and around the house loungey stuff.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
I think that lit will evolve over time as you move and your needs change. You may need more long sleeved shirts in winter, for instance, or flip flops in summer. I find with packing that I have to carefully plan each outfit and coordinate all the parts such as a sweater that matches everything, in order to min one the stuff I am dragging with me. It is certainly possible to get by with much less than one would expect.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #525 on: October 20, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
MsPeacock- I really like that color of burgundy on you. Very flattering! Of course, it's one of my favorite colors, so that may be clouding my view. But I think we have similar coloring overall, so perhaps that's *why* it's one of my favorite colors. Anyway, lookin' sharp!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
MsPeacock- I really like that color of burgundy on you. Very flattering! Of course, it's one of my favorite colors, so that may be clouding my view. But I think we have similar coloring overall, so perhaps that's *why* it's one of my favorite colors. Anyway, lookin' sharp!

Thank you!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
How have I missed this thread for so long?

Posting to follow.

I've been slowly building a capsule wardrobe over the past couple of years. I currently have the least clothes I've ever owned as an adult, and I'm probably better dressed than ever.

I'm not really into clothes so anything that takes the headaches out of dressing myself is a win!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: October 21, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

Posted this elsewhere.....can t remember where BUT love this plan.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
My updated work wardrobe, including some seasonal rotation, as below.

I have five dresses - two black, one purple floral, one blue floral (spring/summer), one pink/black floral (fall/winter).

Five bottoms - black pants, black capris (spring/summer), brown pants, grey skirt (fall/winter), black skirt (spring/summer).

Seven tops - teal knit long sleeve (really cold days only), mint green turtleneck (fall/winter), pink plaid long sleeve, teal sleeveless (spring/summer), brown elbow-length sleeve (fall/winter), blue/green short sleeve, teal print short sleeve.

Four sweaters - pink, blue, red (really cold days only), black/white print.

I don't use accessories because they irritate me, and have one pair of black work shoes, which I keep at work so they last longer and stay clean.

The system is pretty simple. I wear two dresses a week, Monday and Friday. For the rest of the week, I have all the bottoms in a row and all the tops in a row, and grab the first of each that match, plus a sweater if I need it. I tend to match up my clothes for the next week on Friday after I get home.

It's not perfectly matchy matchy like many capsules, but for that to happen I'd have to give up at least one of my favourite three colours of clothing - teal, blue, and bright pink.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

Posted this elsewhere.....can t remember where BUT love this plan.

This is fantastic!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: October 21, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

I have five dresses - two black, one purple floral, one blue floral (spring/summer), one pink/black floral (fall/winter).

Five bottoms - black pants, black capris (spring/summer), brown pants, grey skirt (fall/winter), black skirt (spring/summer).

Seven tops - teal knit long sleeve (really cold days only), mint green turtleneck (fall/winter), pink plaid long sleeve, teal sleeveless (spring/summer), brown elbow-length sleeve (fall/winter), blue/green short sleeve, teal print short sleeve.

I don't use accessories because they irritate me, and have one pair of black work shoes, which I keep at work so they last longer and stay clean.

The system is pretty simple. I wear two dresses a week, Monday and Friday. For the rest of the week, I have all the bottoms in a row and all the tops in a row, and grab the first of each that match, plus a sweater if I need it. I tend to match up my clothes for the next week on Friday after I get home.

It's not perfectly matchy matchy like many capsules, but for that to happen I'd have to give up at least one of my favourite three colours of clothing - teal, blue, and bright pink.

I really dislike accessories too. There is zero chance of me changing purses to match an outfi (and I would forget half my essential stuff if I tried to do this) I used to muck around with necklaces and earrings but I can't even bother any more. I got rid of at least 90% of that stuff by taking it to work. The other ladies were happy to dig in. And I don't understand scarves for decorative purposes at all - when I've attempted one I am so distracted by it and keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye and tugging at it and it drives me nuts.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #532 on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »

I really dislike accessories too. There is zero chance of me changing purses to match an outfi (and I would forget half my essential stuff if I tried to do this) I used to muck around with necklaces and earrings but I can't even bother any more. I got rid of at least 90% of that stuff by taking it to work. The other ladies were happy to dig in. And I don't understand scarves for decorative purposes at all - when I've attempted one I am so distracted by it and keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye and tugging at it and it drives me nuts.

Yeah - since I've never been a jewelry wearer, I find that if I actually put something on, it's very hard for me to pay attention to anything else. It just feels so WEIRD to have something on my neck or wrist or head or wherever. I never got my ears pierced, so earrings are out as well - I've tried clip-ons and they're the WORST, so uncomfortable.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #533 on: October 22, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
http://maitaicollection.com/pages/tutorials

I am not a big accessory person either. No dresses/skirts either.
I thrifted some scarves , and am slowly experimenting with some of the simpler styles in the above link. I had my colours done in the 90s so I know I am a winter. Cool colours only!
Therefore my basics are black/navy/and jeans. Always.
 My accessory colours are white/bright or icy red,blue,green,purple,pink.
When I pattern the major colour must be near my face and must be one or more of the above.
To make my life simple shoes and bags are black .
 Socks too!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #534 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
DDD these links are absolutely amazing.  I ended up down the rabbit hole of the Starting from Scratch wardrobe yesterday and ended up having all kinds of revelations.  I've now identified that if I bought just a few specific pieces, my wardrobe options would multiply exponentially because everything would work with everything else.

And the scarf link!  I love scarves, but wear large, pashmina-style ones that I wrap myself in.  I've never really understood how the classic, smaller, lightweight French scarves worked.  How inspiring!  And so easy to find in nice thrift stores, because young people don't get them either!  I'm so inspired.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #535 on: October 22, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
Does anyone have feedback on dress pants that are slim - but also easy to move around in? Like the feel of jeans but nicer material and a slim leg?

ETA also not just solid black or blue or navy - but in tiny patterns or heathering so they hide dirt better.

I want to get a few pairs and base my "back-to-work" after-maternity wardrobe on them and lab coats over simple shirts. (For my ultrasound work).

BUT I also have to lead events with 10-15 year olds - including crazy games and running around - some evenings during the week and I don't want a totally different wardrobe or to have to change into jeans for them. Ideally I could also wear these pants at home and not have to change into jeans either.

I looked at the Old Navy Pixie Pants and some of the "yoga pant dress pants" sold online but I'm not sure. I would like belt loops I think. And something that I can wear with flats or boots.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:58:07 PM by MBot »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #536 on: October 22, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Does anyone have feedback on dress pants that are slim - but also easy to move around in? Like the feel of jeans but nicer material and a slim leg?

ETA also not just solid black or blue or navy - but in tiny patterns or heathering so they hide dirt better.

I want to get a few pairs and base my "back-to-work" after-maternity wardrobe on them and lab coats over simple shirts. (For my ultrasound work).

BUT I also have to lead events with 10-15 year olds - including crazy games and running around - some evenings during the week and I don't want a totally different wardrobe or to have to change into jeans for them. Ideally I could also wear these pants at home and not have to change into jeans either.

I looked at the Old Navy Pixie Pants and some of the "yoga pant dress pants" sold online but I'm not sure. I would like belt loops I think. And something that I can wear with flats or boots.

My mom (chemo related discomfort) really likes these Gloria Vanderbilt pants that are almost a yoga pant material but look like jeans or slacks (depending on the design). I believe they do have belt loops, but I don't remember for sure. I know Fred Meyer sells them here, don't know about elsewhere.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #537 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
http://www.carriescloset.ca/blogs/news/16594221-the-most-comprehensive-definitive-guide-to-ponte-pants-ever

I have not found these pants yet.... but I ll keep looking.
It is not about the pants but the fabric that makes the pants.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
I really like the pants from Express. They have several cuts, including a slim leg design. They all have some stretch, but not as much as yoga pants or leggings. They are machine washable and have held up well for me. The inseams are long so I always have to get them hemmed. They look fairly dressy. They do have patterns (little checks, etc) on some of them.

I haven't tried pointe pants, but others here give them high marks.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #539 on: October 23, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
My wardrobe had gradually become standardised. My office is very casual, even to the extend of directors wearing blue jeans and t-shirts, so luckily I don't really need to have two different wardrobes between work and life. Having said that, I still prefer to wear smart casual to the office and I usually have the following wardrobe which I also wear outside of the office: 3 pairs of black jeans (skinny, mid-rise jeans from UniQlo), about 7 colourful/black blouses/tops (business section of H&M), and 3 blazers on top. I usually wear trainers for my commute as I need to walk a bit, and then have casual shows at work. I don't do accessories that much, but I think the blazer/blouse combination works well as its smart casual and I can even wear it for external business meetings.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #540 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
http://www.carriescloset.ca/blogs/news/16594221-the-most-comprehensive-definitive-guide-to-ponte-pants-ever

I have not found these pants yet.... but I ll keep looking.
It is not about the pants but the fabric that makes the pants.

I've heard Land's End has good ponte pants. I have a ponte dress from there that I like.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #541 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Out with the old: Gathered my pile of donations.

Research: Reserved books at the library to help me organise and create a new wardrobe. Read this thread and internet resources. Asked a friend for help with colour palette.

What I need: some corporate pieces for special work events, a decent selection of business casual, and daily wear. (Business casual can overlap with daily wear depending on the item.) Be selective in how things fit together so I can do more with fewer items.

To do: Read the library books. Look at what other people are wearing here and IRL and gather ideas. Come up with a strategy for specific pieces within each wardrobe category, and make sure they fit my comfort preferences so nothing is wasted. Go shopping!?

MMM style: op shop to try new styles and see if I like them, op shop for cheap work wear.

Unsure: Go capsule (probably not) or just start honing my selections and see where that goes (I am in little danger of a wardrobe explosion)? Not sure if I will count pieces per category and clothing type (if that's your recommendation, go ahead and sell me on this?). I see the value of the colour palette, but it feels limiting to me...any advice?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:49:48 AM by stashgrower »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: October 24, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »
Today. Nothing too exciting here. Black pants (I have two of the same pair - from Express)), shirt w/ a print (one of the very few - from Express), land's end sweater.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
As of today, I'm doing this new thing where I'm getting dressed each morning, even though I work from home and it's totally fine for me to wear PJs all day.

My uniform is something like this:

- floaty sleeveless top or tunic
- skinny jeans or wide-legged trousers
- cardigan or blazer
- birkenstocks, chacos, kicks, or boots (depending on the weather)

Floaty sleeveless tops aren't super easy to find in plus sizes, but I just scored 3 for $30 on ASOS Curve. I love them because they have a high neck -- usually my floaty tanks have a deep enough neckline that I wear a scarf to cover up all the boobery.

My colors are mainly black, white, and gray, with some burgundy, teal, purple, and coral as accent colors. My wardrobe is super easy to travel with -- I grab a couple pairs of pants, a blazer/cardigan/coat, and a tunic for each day. Good thing cos I've been traveling a lot lately...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:48:29 AM by madgeylou »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
Out with the old: Gathered my pile of donations.

Research: Reserved books at the library to help me organise and create a new wardrobe. Read this thread and internet resources. Asked a friend for help with colour palette.

What I need: some corporate pieces for special work events, a decent selection of business casual, and daily wear. (Business casual can overlap with daily wear depending on the item.) Be selective in how things fit together so I can do more with fewer items.

To do: Read the library books. Look at what other people are wearing here and IRL and gather ideas. Come up with a strategy for specific pieces within each wardrobe category, and make sure they fit my comfort preferences so nothing is wasted. Go shopping!?

MMM style: op shop to try new styles and see if I like them, op shop for cheap work wear.

Unsure: Go capsule (probably not) or just start honing my selections and see where that goes (I am in little danger of a wardrobe explosion)? Not sure if I will count pieces per category and clothing type (if that's your recommendation, go ahead and sell me on this?). I see the value of the colour palette, but it feels limiting to me...any advice?
It is not in the least bit limiting!  I can quite literally grab any pair of my shoes and know that they will look at least okay with any clothes I choose to wear that day because all of my shoes are black and all of my clothes look good with black.  (The day I went to work with my brown slippers on was not a good day lol!)

It's also freeing to go shopping and immediately know what colors will flatter you the most.  Plus most of my shirts look good with most of my sweaters and at least half of my scarves.

So I think of it as more freeing than limiting.  I always look and feel put together, shopping is so much faster when you have a specific set of criteria (such as color palette, preferred fabric, and/or style) to follow.  Plus you are much less likely to buy something that you'll later look at and go "Why did I buy that?!"

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »
I don't think this photographed well - but I like this outfit. The pants wrinkle up a bit quickly however.\\

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: October 27, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Thanks Zaga. OK I get that. Like earlier this week I had to change clothes before going out because I didn't have matching shoes! The dress was a hand-me-down not in my colours.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
Thanks Zaga. OK I get that. Like earlier this week I had to change clothes before going out because I didn't have matching shoes! The dress was a hand-me-down not in my colours.

Ugh. Yes, shoes are my MAJOR limiting factor. I think I need to replace my skinny black jeans- I only have 1 pair and they're getting very worn/stretched out/bleached out at the knee. When I have good black leggings/jeans, I can wear them with boots (I have black and brown) and then I can match anything. The issue is when I have my only other jeans, which I'm pretty limited on footwear choice with because they're a bit too long and it's too wet here most of the year.

I'm honestly considering looking into black jeggings. Anyone had these before, have opinions/experience?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »
I had a pair of jeggings from target and I didn't like them. Maybe a more pensive pair would be better. The elastic waistband sort of rolled down and got twisted inside the fabric. They were a bit more revealing than jeans, and not warm enough for winter. I have better luck with regular skinny stretch jeans. It can be so hard to find a pair of jeans that are just right in terms of how they fit and comfort.

I used to have a ton of shoes and have been thinning the herd over the years. I've gotten rid of almost all my heels because they are just so uncomfortable. I have one pair of three inch black shoes and one pair of nude heels both of which work with everything I own. I have a mix of black flats and black oxfords, brown boots and black boots, and a couple pairs of sandals. I think most wardrobes could get by with black or brown shoes, or even just black shoes. As my uniform look has become more clarified I've moved to getting rid of more and more stuff that doesn't fit into that fairly narrow look.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
I have a couple of pairs of what I think are jeggings from JAG Jeans.  Same complaint as MsPeacock - the elastic waistband folds over when I sit so needs to be adjusted almost every time I get up.  Kind of annoying.  But other than that I like the fit, the fabric is thick and not too revealing and they are comfortable.  Got mine from Nordstrom Rack for a good price.  Not worth the full price in my opinion.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!