Author Topic: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.  (Read 51116 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
Well, this year's 30-Day-Liver-Cleanse experiment is completed and it took it 40 days this time around. Last year about this time, I did the same thing and it was 33 days without booze. Now I get to sip my bourbon with my wifey.

I am still committed to drinking way less than usual. Now, back to my Bulleit. Cheers.
Beautiful.  If you can stay away from Bulleit for 40 days, you are stronger than I.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »
Well, this year's 30-Day-Liver-Cleanse experiment is completed and it took it 40 days this time around. Last year about this time, I did the same thing and it was 33 days without booze. Now I get to sip my bourbon with my wifey.

I am still committed to drinking way less than usual. Now, back to my Bulleit. Cheers.
Beautiful.  If you can stay away from Bulleit for 40 days, you are stronger than I.

Ha ha I did manage to do it. Now I don't completely have to stay away until the next liver cleanse but just drink less. That is the plan.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
I had a really awesome thing happen somewhat suddenly yesterday (I received a $6,000 grant for my startup business to match $1,200 I had been saving) and I wanted to mark the occasion somehow. Without going to a happy hour to celebrate, I felt a little lost for what to do. As I sat on the bus home, I thought about what I could do:
  • Should I go out to eat? Nah, I don't really want to spend money on eating out because I'm saving the budget for when out of town guests come later this month. Also we already grocery shopped for the week and know what we're having tonight.
  • Should I go to a happy hour and have a nonalcoholic drink? Nah, I can make that myself at home.
  • Should I go pick up a kombucha or a fancy juice as my celebratory drink?

In the end, I came home, got a hug from my SO, and had a lacroix sparkling water left over from a networking event. Made a fabulous dinner, and went to the hot tub at my gym to read a book after my workout. And it turns out, that was a perfect way to mark the occasion. $0 dollars spent for the evening, no alcohol consumed, and I felt good about marking the occasion.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
I had a really awesome thing happen somewhat suddenly yesterday (I received a $6,000 grant for my startup business to match $1,200 I had been saving) and I wanted to mark the occasion somehow. Without going to a happy hour to celebrate, I felt a little lost for what to do. As I sat on the bus home, I thought about what I could do:
  • Should I go out to eat? Nah, I don't really want to spend money on eating out because I'm saving the budget for when out of town guests come later this month. Also we already grocery shopped for the week and know what we're having tonight.
  • Should I go to a happy hour and have a nonalcoholic drink? Nah, I can make that myself at home.

In the end, I came home, got a hug from my SO, and had a lacroix sparkling water left over from a networking event. Made a fabulous dinner, and went to the hot tub at my gym to read a book after my workout. And it turns out, that was a perfect way to mark the occasion. $0 dollars spent for the evening, no alcohol consumed, and I felt good about marking the occasion.

That is awesome. BTW, congrats for receiving $6K.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

This is me now, drinking my fancy pants kombucha! I haven't had a drink for 3 weeks now :)

TheStrenuousLife

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

Amazing.  And congratulations on your grant!  I fell of the wagon last night and drank too much wine, but at least it was DIY wine so it didn't cost me anything extra and I still have 22 bottles of the stuff yet.  Definitely paying for it with reduced productivity today though.  That will be it for this weekend.

TheStrenuousLife

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
Yesterday I signed up for Treehouse on a whim to give myself an activity to do on the weekend.  Last night, instead of going out drinking, I blitzed through several hours of courses.  It's actually quite fun and I'm learning new things.  It also lets me use my unjustifiably expensive 2015 MacBook Pro for something other than watching YouTube videos.

I think that activity replacement is going to be key for me for awhile until I get comfortable not drinking in social situations.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2017, 07:01:41 AM »
Entering week 6 of no drinking.  It's finally getting easier, the thoughts are nowhere near as frequent as they used to be and I hardly think about drinking during the week.

We also had people over on the weekend, I was honestly super surprised how supportive everyone is.  I had hard liquor at home that I keep for guests, but no beer.  Once everyone arrived I told them what I am up to and why and said I will take orders and go to the store to grab them whatever beer they want...everyone decided not to drink for the whole night and insisted i don't get them anything.  It took me by surprise, I know if I showed up at a friend's house in my old days and there was nothing to drink I'd probably be a bit disappointed. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
Entering week 6 of no drinking.  It's finally getting easier, the thoughts are nowhere near as frequent as they used to be and I hardly think about drinking during the week.

We also had people over on the weekend, I was honestly super surprised how supportive everyone is.  I had hard liquor at home that I keep for guests, but no beer.  Once everyone arrived I told them what I am up to and why and said I will take orders and go to the store to grab them whatever beer they want...everyone decided not to drink for the whole night and insisted i don't get them anything.  It took me by surprise, I know if I showed up at a friend's house in my old days and there was nothing to drink I'd probably be a bit disappointed.
It is awesome that your thought patterns are changing, and you have some pretty great friends :)

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Following along!

My alcohol spending was $700 last year, not including drinks purchased with meals that were categorized under meals out though. I want to keep better records this year. I also want to help encourage my partner in cutting back on drinks. He keeps saying he will, does well for a while, and then gets back into drinking again.

So far this year:

January

$0/0 drinks

February

4 - $14.85 4 ciders, drank 1 so far

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
This thread seems to have been completely dominated by Canadians.

Aussie checking in.

Do we have drinking problems, or liquor tax problems?

Yes.

ochenka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2017, 02:52:16 AM »
It is 12 weeks for me of not drinking at all. I quit after my daughter was born and I am not planning to ever go back into this habit. I estimate it will save me about 3000 PLN (1$ is about 4 PLN - polish zloty) a year which equals to about 10% of our expenses.
First two months were hard for me, but now I rarely remember that such thing as alcohol exists.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
It is 12 weeks for me of not drinking at all. I quit after my daughter was born and I am not planning to ever go back into this habit. I estimate it will save me about 3000 PLN (1$ is about 4 PLN - polish zloty) a year which equals to about 10% of our expenses.
First two months were hard for me, but now I rarely remember that such thing as alcohol exists.

Congrats! I'm on week 10. Not sure when I'll go back, probably not quitting forever but definitely enjoying the break - I have been surprised how much I have "forgotten" about booze, it's just not a habit anymore. I may be coming to Poland for the first time later this year!

This thread seems to have been completely dominated by Canadians.

Aussie checking in.

American! Booze is so cheap where I live (we don't even have sales tax) that it's almost worse because you can drink a lot for not that much money :-/

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
So i've had 0 alcohol for 7 weeks now. (wife is pregnant i'm not drinking)

Last night we had a social and dinner for a select group of employees at my company.  Drinks were included.  I've always thought that alcohol was what helped me socialize and meet people but i've realized that just helped me break the ice.  Once that is done i'm pretty decent at holding attention and keeping an audience even when sober.  And better yet i dont have alcohol to drop my filter on my internal Blunt ass holedness. 

I really didnt miss it at all.  Its really interesting how it was something i thought was such a part of my life isnt really that necessary at all.  It truly has been an eye opening experience for me these past few weeks.

I dont plan to never drink again, but I encourage many who are on the fence to just take the leap for a month or 2 you may be surprised.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
I slashed my alcohol spending 100%.

I also work in the industry, and friends sometimes open a free Caymus on a Tuesday, but... I guess that doesn't count at all and I'm terrible, nevermind. :p

It's kind of interesting... folks in the industry often drink a ton or very moderately. I have probably a drink every two or three weeks. Most who drink go out to bars. It's bizarrely wasteful. I feel bad for bars and restaurants depending so heavily on astronomical drink prices. Most are complaining that people order water more than ever before, which is probably a good thing on the health and Mustache scales.

US draft beer though is like, $2-$6. Canadian beer prices sound like American cigarette prices (ie, tax-designed to make you quit).

TheStrenuousLife

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
I slashed my alcohol spending 100%.

I also work in the industry, and friends sometimes open a free Caymus on a Tuesday, but... I guess that doesn't count at all and I'm terrible, nevermind. :p

It's kind of interesting... folks in the industry often drink a ton or very moderately. I have probably a drink every two or three weeks. Most who drink go out to bars. It's bizarrely wasteful. I feel bad for bars and restaurants depending so heavily on astronomical drink prices. Most are complaining that people order water more than ever before, which is probably a good thing on the health and Mustache scales.

US draft beer though is like, $2-$6. Canadian beer prices sound like American cigarette prices (ie, tax-designed to make you quit).

Haha not that I smoke but I believe that our cigarette prices are also taxed to make you quit, probably even more than the price in many American states.

As for your comment on the industry, I totally can relate.  My girlfriend works in the service industry and the amount of drinking that goes on there boggles my mind.  I simply cannot keep up with her friends and both of us are appalled at how some people will blow their entire earnings from a night of selling alcohol to people on then buying alcohol, and other illicit substances, for themselves. 

As for my own progress, since switching to DIY wine, I have done a decent job of reducing my spend, although I have not done as great a job on reducing the overall quantity of alcohol consumed.  I am pleasantly surprised to see how this thread has evolved from my initial concerns primarily about the amount of money being spent, to a broader discussion on the amount of alcohol we all consume.  I still need to improve on that front.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
well we lost our baby this weekend.  We had a nice steak dinner at home with a glass of wine each last night.  Neither of us really even want to drink it feels weird and different.  Likely will not be drinking still til we have a baby.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
well we lost our baby this weekend.  We had a nice steak dinner at home with a glass of wine each last night.  Neither of us really even want to drink it feels weird and different.  Likely will not be drinking still til we have a baby.

So sorry to hear about your loss ... people don't always appreciate hard how it can be to lose someone you don't really know yet.  I hope you both can give yourselves space to grieve whatever amount you need.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

So sorry to hear about your loss ... people don't always appreciate hard how it can be to lose someone you don't really know yet.  I hope you both can give yourselves space to grieve whatever amount you need.

Yeah its tough but its a 1/5 chance so its not like we did anything just have to move on

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »

Yeah its tough but its a 1/5 chance so its not like we did anything just have to move on
I'm so sorry :( That's always hard. Definitely do what you need to cope with loss.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »

I'm so sorry :( That's always hard. Definitely do what you need to cope with loss.

Agreed--whatever space you need also obviously means moving on if that's the best for you both. 

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
Week 7, it's getting easier.

Had my annual check up.  My blood results are the best they've been in years according to my doctor.

From my last one, my good/bad cholesterol was nearing the top end of the "normal" range and my triglycerides were high.

Cholesterol is now in the middle of the normal range and triglycerides are 1/3rd of what they've been.  Also dropped 13 lbs since starting this, even though losing weight was never the intent as I exercise regularly and I am pretty fit.

Doc asked if I changed my diet because the results were apparently pretty drastic for just cutting out beer (diet is same = healthy, only beer was cut), so here we are...some evidence based stuff on how alcohol can affect you and how quickly the effects can be reversed if you cut it out.

My goal was to cut it out for 3 months and celebrate with some drinks at the milestone.  I am starting to debate not drinking is to become a permanent part of my life or if I should risk having a drink again at the 3 month mark.

Before starting this I thought life without alcohol would probably be a boring life, one I wouldn't want to lead.  With a new mindset now, that mentality seems to be doing a 180 on me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:25:52 AM by Last Night »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
My goal was to cut it out for 3 months and celebrate with some drinks at the milestone.  I am starting to debate not drinking is to become a permanent part of my life or if I should risk having a drink again at the 3 month mark.

Before starting this I thought life without alcohol would probably be a boring life, one I wouldn't want to lead.  With a new mindset now, that mentality seems to be doing a 180 on me.
My goal was 100 days (on day 78 now) with probably a drink at the milestone - and I'm also shifting my perspective. I'm realizing that booze was probably my worst health habit and the biggest interference with my goals (outside of my stupid ass rheumatoid arthritis, which I can't change, just treat). I am really enjoying being clear-headed and sober all the time. I'm enjoying not having to worry about "did I have too many to bike home, should I stay for another hour and drink water to sober up or take transit home?" I'm enjoying the ~$120 I've managed to save by doing "literally the least I can do". It feels like I got a raise without doing anything extra.

I'm at the point where I'm already contemplating if I'm going to be drinking by the summer - considering I'll be abroad it would save me money not to drink, but being in Belgium it's hard to pass up a beer.

I'm not seeking advice, it's just interesting to think I like this shift enough that I am already thinking about skipping out on booze in the land of great beer.

This is the first time an extended break from alcohol has had this effect. Every other time I've stopped drinking intentionally for longer than a month, it was because of medication. Now that I have a medication I *can* drink on, I think maybe that's letting me feel some agency in the choice to stop imbibing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:33:21 PM by monstermonster »

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
Thanks for posting, it's always great to see others going through the same thing and sharing their perspective.

I have nothing against drinking, my biggest issue is that I am obsessive, with that personality come habits like not being able to moderate certain things.  If I put my mind to something, I go in 200% with laser focus, doesn't matter what it is and it gets accomplished - main reason I've been successful in my career and other achievements.  The bad side to it is that I can form bad habits such as drinking (self medicating - turn off the obsessiveness), which makes it super hard to moderate.  It's easy to either not drink or to drink, but the middle ground is a tough one for me.  Kudos to all who can, for the rest of us it's a matter of making a decision and redesigning life around it.

I too don't know what to do, I am leaning towards not drinking at my milestone either.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:30:28 PM by Last Night »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Thanks for posting, it's always great to see others going through the same thing and sharing their perspective.

I have nothing against drinking, my biggest issue is that I am obsessive, with that personality come habits like not being able to moderate certain things.  If I put my mind to something, I go in 200% with laser focus, doesn't matter what it is and it gets accomplished - main reason I've been successful in my career and other achievements.  The bad side to it is that I can form bad habits such as drinking (self medicating - turn off the obsessiveness), which makes it super hard to moderate.  It's easy to either not drink or to drink, but the middle ground is a tough one for me.  Kudos to all who can, for the rest of us it's a matter of making a decision and redesigning life around it.
I have a similar personality - I am exceptional at "all or nothing" focus.

I did 4 days of no drinking every week for a few years, and that worked pretty well as far as a middle ground, but I was still averaging 1.1 drinks a day of booze, which meant I was having 2-2.5 on my "drinking" days. Not bad, not destructive or obsessive, but not my ideal scenario.

My biggest issue is redoing my relationship with free alcohol - I have a lot of trouble saying no because I LIKE FREE THINGS, but free beer is abundant at all the tech events I am at in my town.

Finally, I feel like I'm making ground on gracefully declining free booze (medication interactions made it easy, but I want to normalize sobriety instead of pretending I'm not drinking because of medication). I'm getting better at socializing/networking when sober (a huge part of my job in the past). The thing I hate is having to answer completely inappropriate questions about my womb status because I don't have a drink in my hand (tech is so clueless and so male sometimes.)

Part of me wants to see how long I can go. But I can probably go forever. But do I really want to be sober forever? Maybe, maybe not.

smacpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
Update, did Drynuary thru the 27th and broke.  Had friends come in town from out of town and went out last Friday.  Total alcohol spending in 2017 thru 2-18 $47. 

At current rate projected total for 2017 $350, seems very reasonable to me.  However, summer boats drinks and football season beers/bourbon usually add the most to this so I will need to stay the course.

smacpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
Also, if you are interested - after I found this thread and attempted a Drynuary, I stumbled upon this podcast epidsode of Radical Personal Finance.  Decent epidsode to keep motivation imho.

https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/drunkenness-destroys-wealth/

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »
so after the MC.  we have added some beer and wine back in ... but i dont look at it the same way at all.  i have 1 maybe to glasses on a weekend night.  thats it.  i go by the liquor store and try the free samples on friday after work.  then dont drink at all at home friday.  then maybe a glass saturday maybe not. 

I truly feel more freedom now than i ever have before.  events where i once though alcohol was necessary its not really at all.  I have much more productive weekends.  my relationship with my wife is better. 

total alcohol spending this year 20 - home - 13 bars.  33 bucks thru 2 months.  huge decrease i expect to go down farther.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
My tally this year has been:

$25 on a bottle for a friend
$35 on a bottle of spirits for me, of which I had one or two drinks before falling ill with something that meant no booze.

I still have whiskey, rum, bourbon, vodka, gin, port, brandy, kirsch, limoncello, Bailey's, a boutique coffee liqueur, champagne, cider, multiple bottles of red and white, and two different types of beer in the house.

My goal of zero alcohol spending in March is probably doable...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
My SSO just finished a serious upgrade a cocktail pouring robot he made (Barbot). I'm so proud of him but actually not tempted to drink at all. I can just enjoy showing it off.

TheStrenuousLife

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »
My SSO just finished a serious upgrade a cocktail pouring robot he made (Barbot). I'm so proud of him but actually not tempted to drink at all. I can just enjoy showing it off.

Wait....your SSO built a robot that pours drinks?  Can we get pictures or are you guys keeping it under wraps to patent?  That sounds awesome.  Presumably it could also make non-alcoholic cocktails?

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
Week 8 of no drinking is almost wrapped up.

Thoughts so far...

The immediate benefits of not drinking have now "worn off" in the sense that that I no longer feel better (than the previous day) with every passing day.  The low hanging fruit has been collected and the "noob gains" have been achieved.  Now it's more of a stable existence.

I am finding new ways to integrate into social situations when others are drinking and I am not.  Telling someone "oh yea, just go out and have a coke, or something non alcoholic" doesn't work, at least easier said than done.  Avoid the situation all together for as long as you feel you need to.  I'd say the first 6 weeks it was mandatory for me, now I can easily integrate even when others are drinking without feeling urges to drink.

On the weakness front, the good weather is really challenging my willpower.  I was out for a run last Friday when it was nice out, my neighbour saw me and called me over, invited me for a beer and I almost caved.  What's one beer right?  Not the point though.

All in all the honeymoon stage of improvements post drinking seems to be tapering off, now it's about maintaining which isn't as sexy, it's more of a grind, but it is an easier mental grind.

Will keep updating as time passes :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:15:12 AM by Last Night »

TheStrenuousLife

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
You guys are all an inspiration.  Somewhat embarrassed to report that, despite starting this thread, the last two weeks have been complete collapses of willpower.  Tomorrow is another day though, and I'll keep trying!   

I've realized that I have one friend in particular that accounts for almost all of my drinking, so I need to either avoid this person temporarily. or find non-alcoholic activities for us to do. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
we have integrated a couple drinks a week back into our schedule til my wife is back on her normal cycle and we can start trying to have a family again. 

this is way off our peak of 2 bottles of wine per night.  and our avg of one bottle per night.  we're now drinking as much or less per week than we used to average a night.

and honestly i dont really miss it.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
You guys are all an inspiration.  Somewhat embarrassed to report that, despite starting this thread, the last two weeks have been complete collapses of willpower.  Tomorrow is another day though, and I'll keep trying!   

I've realized that I have one friend in particular that accounts for almost all of my drinking, so I need to either avoid this person temporarily. or find non-alcoholic activities for us to do.

As long as you are honest with yourself and don't abandon the idea regardless of failures you will succeed to whatever your terms of success are.

I felt a lot like you when I tried to moderate to weekends only (for years), it was not possible.  A few small wins here and there, but over time back to square one.

I am not saying what I am doing now will work either, in fact I have no idea how to handle the future and I still debate if I am going to drink at my 3 month milestone, but the silver lining here is that with every  passing day your confidence that you are capable of sticking to your word builds you up...I was not able to achieve that level of confidence with my moderation attempts, ever.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

As long as you are honest with yourself and don't abandon the idea regardless of failures you will succeed to whatever your terms of success are.

I felt a lot like you when I tried to moderate to weekends only (for years), it was not possible.  A few small wins here and there, but over time back to square one.

I am not saying what I am doing now will work either, in fact I have no idea how to handle the future and I still debate if I am going to drink at my 3 month milestone, but the silver lining here is that with every  passing day your confidence that you are capable of sticking to your word builds you up...I was not able to achieve that level of confidence with my moderation attempts, ever.

i agree with most of this as well.  My personal issue with anything that society deems "addictive" is that its only addictive to me ina sense of the atmosphere.  So all i have to do is prove i can operate in that atmosphere without it and its pretty easy to let anything go.  I've been thru many different cycles in my life with different things and i personally have what many would call and addictive personality.  but its only addictive to me so long as i see a real benefit.  and removing whatever it was for some time makes things quickly become apparent if there was a true benefit to whatever that act was.  and more often than not i find its not really beneficial and i enjoy my time without what ever it was.  But i can always go back to it in moderation once i've crossed that bridge of removal for some amount of time for whatever reason. 

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
Well February is basically over at least as far as drinking goes.  Time to tally the drinks.

-1/2 bottle of wine with a friend over dinner with their family & kids
-1 pint of tasters after a day skiing
-1 pint at home after getting home from said day of skiing
-1 pint sitting at home alone with no particular purpose
-1 pint at Canucks game

Total = 9 drinks (count pints as 1.5)

My relationship with alcohol is changing.  By drinking less I have become very conscious of whether I am truly enjoying the drink or that it's just a habit I thought was delivering happiness. 

The 1/2 bottle of wine was very enjoyable over dinner.  To use YMOYL terminology it added to my fulfillment.  Same with the pint at the bar with my friend after skiing.  The pint at home added no fulfillment and I recognized it when I drank it.  Same with the one that had no particular purpose.  The pint at the Canucks game felt like 'the thing to do' with a friend.  I cut my drinking right after that one.  He had 4 pints, I had 1.  It felt fine socially. 

So, in summary I could cut this month's drinking down to 6 drinks that I really enjoyed.

That is awesome, this is my ultimate goal.  Sporadic drinks only when they mean something, you truly enjoy them.

What was your drinking pattern like before?  I feel my will power gets tossed out the window after the first drink.

In your example if I drank that pint with a friend after skiing, I would for sure want to have some drinks after when I get home, even if I am alone.  The mentality is that since I already had one, might as well keep going and enjoy the buzz since mentally I write off the rest of the day for any chance of being productive.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
fun fact:
2016: $1040 spent on alcohol, or $86.67/month, or $20/week
2017: $0 spent on alcohol

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since new years....which is almost unbelievable...

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
Booze update!

I have haven't had a drink since Jan 11. I can't believe it and neither can my friends. They keep asking me if I am pregnant, ha.

Is this happening to anyone else too?

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
That's amazing you can moderate all on your own, not many can go from 1-2 drinks a day to sporadic drinking.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:04:37 PM by Last Night »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
Ran some numbers, on Day 103 of not drinking. Here's my past 24 months of alcohol consumption:

Not drinking is good for my finances. Average spend at bars and for home alcohol (for soda water out or liquor for guests) is now $7.50 a month. Compared to a 2- year historical average of $87 a month. With an average of 1.1 drinks per day in 2016, that's how much drinking alcohol was costing me!

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
^^^ Wow. I am really impressed. Just to make it clear, impressed by the graphs, not drinking. :-)

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Almost two weeks away from my milestone of not drinking for 3 months.  I don't think I will drink that day, don't feel 3 months is enough where I can moderate to the level where I'd be happy (1x month).  I might extend this journey until the end of the year and re evaluate.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Good luck.

It's honestly a lot easier to cold turkey alcohol than it is to moderate (at least for me).  Keep us posted on your progress.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Booze update!

I have haven't had a drink since Jan 11. I can't believe it and neither can my friends. They keep asking me if I am pregnant, ha.

Is this happening to anyone else too?

I'm about to give birth and I'm getting non-stop "what will your first drink be" comments.

Except I don't drink, and haven't for more than a decade.  Never thought it was worth the money.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:09:33 PM by iowajes »

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
This weekend I finished my last few drinks from my birthday a month ago.

I'm going to see how long I can go without buying any. Currently at just over 6 weeks.

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »
I am about a year and a half into not drinking at all. The hardest part for me is explaining to people why I don't drink and also trying to find things to do that do not center around drinking. Choosing not to drink is similar to choosing to be vegan or eat gluten free (assuming you are choosing this and not forced for health reasons) yet I feel like its still not looked upon the same way, IMO. I always feel like people assume I had a drinking problem or something bad happen to me but that is not the case. I just experimented with not drinking and the health and financial benefits of it have been a no brainer for me.

ochenka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Last night I dreamt about drinking vodka with my friends... My head hurt all day :D

Just hit 4 months with 0 consumption :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
So, I made it past Friday night, which included going to a bar and a restaurant with friends.  Everyone has been super supportive (in fact, almost no one has cared or questioned it), with the exception of my primary drinking friend with whom I did probably 80% of all my drinking.

This friend took it very personally and actually stormed out on me.  That was hard, but if it comes down to it, I may need to risk losing this friendship if they can't accept that I'm going teetotal for awhile.

6 days so far.  No cravings at all, just the above-noted social pressure from my one friend in particular.

That makes me concerned for your friend, that alcohol is so deeply rooted to his identity and, for him, your friendship.