Author Topic: Skipping Dinner - what does my body actually need?  (Read 3283 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Skipping Dinner - what does my body actually need?
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:37 AM »
First of all, this is not a post about some crazy, fad, unhealthy diet. This is an attempt to figure out what's healthiest for me!

I come from an Italian family where the base of almost ever meal was pasta. If not pasta, then rice, potatoes, etc. The carb was the main focus of the meal, with the meat taking second place, and the veggies kind of forgotten to the side (if they ever made it there at all). Unfortunately, a lot of those habits have followed me now that I'm on my own.

Four days a week, I work from 10-6. Usually the first thing I do when I get home (after tripping over the 'starving' cats and feeding them) is make dinner. Usually some rice or pasta based dish, since it's easy, cheap, and what I know. I've been attempting to eat healthier, but on those nights where I come home tired and don't really feel like cooking, I fall back on a simple (and usually unhealthy meal). Whatmore, a lot of nights I come home I'm not very hungry, I just cook and eat because it's dinnertime and that's what you do.

I work for a very generous company who, among other perks, buys us lunch everyday. I usually don't eat until about 2ish, which means I'm still pretty full by the time I get home. I also skip over breakfast because I'm a late sleeper, and I'm never hungry in the mornings (usually because I stuff myself at night).

I want to change things up! I want to get up earlier in the mornings, work out, and get some secondary work done BEFORE 10am. The waking up earlier part is going well (so far), now onto other things! I've skipped dinner before and have been fine, though I snacked on Goldfish or not-the-healthiest snacks. I wake up starving, have nothing to eat, then snack on the non-healthy snacks at work until lunch time.

Plan
- Start making healthy breakfasts
- Make good, healthy lunch choices (so tempting not to)
- Prepare healthy "snacks" or sides for evenings

Breakfast Ideas
- Egg in a mug (like a mini-fritatta!)
- Fruit salad w/ yogurt
- Banana w/ peanut butter

Night snack/side ideas
- Banana w/ peanut butter (and whole wheat toast if I'm desperate)
- homemade hummus with celery, carrots, pita chips, etc.
- plain veggies

Definitely will amp up my list of food ideas! I'd love suggestions from you guys as well... have you tried something like this? What small meals would you make?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: Skipping Dinner - what does my body actually need?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
There is a lot of good info over here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/paleo-anyone/msg333224/#msg333224

I don't really do paleo, but my diet is similar to a paleo/mediterranean style. I love bananas with peanut butter. Hell, I love anything with Peanut Butter. 3-4 times a week I make a peanut butter oatmeal concoction:

Rolled Oats
Milk
Peanut Butter
Honey
Dark Chocolate (If needed)
Microwave for 45 seconds, stir, enjoy.

For breakfast I either have this or an omelet which takes a lot of time but is well worth the wait.

I've also experimented with fasting lately which is interesting and worth reading about if it appeals to you.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
I recommend that you read The Fast Diet. It's about how much your body appreciates breaks from food and advocates that 1-2 days per week, you eat 500-600 calories. If you're eating a late lunch at 2, there's no need to make a full dinner at six, certainly not every night. Just a salad or cereal before bed might suffice.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »
My standard brekfast is a bowl of hot oatmeal with milk and fruit.  Filling, nutritious, cheap.  Also works well as an alternative lunch or dinner on those days when it would otherwise be too much bother.  Getting this ready only takes 4 minutes! (Microwave the oatmeal for 2 while cutting up fruit; then microwave the milk for 30 seconds and I am done.)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
When I was losing weight, I was limiting myself to about 1000 to 1500 calories a day... I had plenty calories stored up... but nutritionally, I was eating a lot of fruits and veggies. I also cut out all sugar and processed foods, to maximize my nutrition/calorie ratio. You don't need a lot of calories, really, unless you're extremely active. I got down to my ideal weight and been fine ever since.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
Just know that carbs and starch are good for you. There are some bad carbs though, not all carbs are the same and shouldn't be generalized as such. I regularly eat pasta that is 100% whole wheat, and a ton of potatoes, brown rice, and lots of whole grains (millet, barley, bulgur, steel cut oats) in addition to multiple servings of fruits and vegetables. I concentrated on fiber equally as I did to protein.

Consuming high amounts of fiber allowed me to eat as much as I wanted to full satisfaction and regulated my blood sugar so I stayed fuller for much longer.

I guess it really depends on how practical this is and how much time one has.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:57:56 PM »
Just know that carbs and starch are good for you. There are some bad carbs though, not all carbs are the same and shouldn't be generalized as such. I regularly eat pasta that is 100% whole wheat, and a ton of potatoes, brown rice, and lots of whole grains (millet, barley, bulgur, steel cut oats) in addition to multiple servings of fruits and vegetables. I concentrated on fiber equally as I did to protein.

Carbs and starch are fine for you in moderation. The problem is that the western diet is so far beyond moderation it's not funny. Carbs are cheap to grow, manufacture, and buy, so naturally they form the bulk of our diet. Our bodies can adapt to a high-carb diet, but they weren't made for it and a lifetime of sugar eventually takes its toll.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
Carbs and starch are fine for you in moderation. The problem is that the western diet is so far beyond moderation it's not funny. Carbs are cheap to grow, manufacture, and buy, so naturally they form the bulk of our diet. Our bodies can adapt to a high-carb diet, but they weren't made for it and a lifetime of sugar eventually takes its toll.

Yes, a high intake of refined carbs where you get all the bad stuff and little of the good stuff, you'll be in poor health in no time. I end up consuming way less food in general as I'm full and satisfied. I know everyone has varying opinions on this however (sadly, seems to be any type of carb is getting a bad rap, even the potato isn't covered by WIC anymore).

For anyone reading this, if you're interested, go to the library and check out The Starch Solution by Dr John McDougall.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!