Author Topic: Side Hustles Not Panning Out  (Read 4882 times)

InvestandChill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Side Hustles Not Panning Out
« on: June 25, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »
Recently, I tried selling some of the plants I have been growing. They are several type of fruiting plants that only people with knowledge of central and South America would ~maybe~ be aware of.

So far no one seems interested so I'm feeling rather down. I think I'm just not getting across to my main audience which are people that would have grown up eating these fruit and would be nostalgic for them. Any advice targeting Latin Americans/South Americans as part of your side hustle?

I noticed that a lot of Indian stores sell bay leaf plants so perhaps this is something where I need to advertise at brick and mortar stores.

Would love to hear from anyone who's side hustle involves growing plants (ahem, not the smokable kind since use case is very different) or fruit trees.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
Re: Side Hustles Not Panning Out
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:43:55 AM »
How long have you been at it as a hustle? These things can take time to build up, and you need name recognition in that audience.

What have you tried to increase your audience/client base?

Do you advertise, and do you ship? Truck? Door to door?

Do you take displays to farmer's markets and such?

I grow a lot of fruit trees/herbs and such, but mostly end up giving them away. Also had little luck selling, but honestly have not tried hard.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
I'm curious as to what the plants are. How are you selling them? I would probably take a punt on an interesting fruit tree for its novelty value if I came across it at a market.

It is possible that you need to create a market/customers for your trees. Educating the community on the wonder of the fruits. I'm thinking a pamphlet at a market stall with instructions on how to grow?

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:08:46 PM »
Make a list of all the applicable ethnic shops/markets in your vicinity. Visit each and see if they will let you sell there.
Also, what types of trees?

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
Target ethnic festivals - I generally see a few vendors selling "Plants From Home" at these.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »
If they're fruiting/edible, try local farmer's markets, or possibly Chowhound and similar foodie boards that have a 'local' section.

God knows that I'm seriously considering buying a k-lime tree in Quebec. Some of us cooks be nuts. Target those people. ;)

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 05:14:43 AM »
Depends on your expectations of this as a side hustle. I grow and sell a variety of plants (not cannabis) on Craigslist or through my farmer's market friend. (She can sell them at her stand for twice what I do online and we split it 50/50.) It isn't steady business, nor is it a lot. It basically pays for all my gardening needs/wants. Currently, I don't have anything posted, but I'm amazed at what people will buy. For me, it's a relatively free hobby that pays dividends during harvest time.

How long have you been trying?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:06:01 AM »
I'm in a facebook group for my area where people post about their plants, sell them, and trade them. If you can find a local community like that it could be helpful. There are also lots of resources like different plant stores, so maybe you could sell interesting plants to stores as well. Apparently millennials love plants, so it should be a good side hustle once it picks up steam!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Apparently millennials love plants, so it should be a good side hustle once it picks up steam!

Gotta laugh at that.  My older millennial's favorite plant based food is a Burger King Bacon double Cheeseburger.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »
I'm also on a local facebook group where people sell - trade - even give away plants.
Our local flea markets and farmer's markets have several booths with plants, incl. fruit trees.
Ethnic festivals and stores might be a good place to offer your plants.
Perhaps you could join a local gardening group or two.
USF has a botanical garden and they always have vendors at their garden events. 

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 04:25:32 PM »
Have you considered selling them on eBay? I know the packaging of them is tricky... but  I am one of those people who gets an idea in my head of what plant I want next and I search to find exactly that - and often I find it on eBay. I imagine people who have childhood memories of these particular plants might search for them online and be willing to pay for shipping etc.

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 05:02:15 AM »
Are you able to save the seeds from these plants, if they are the type that go to seed when you leave them, and sell those as well?