Author Topic: September Running Challenge  (Read 8799 times)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
September Running Challenge
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
Wow. Where did August go? Well, it's September now, which means it's time to start a fresh slate:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag4s7HPcOY9hdHlTblpWWGFHT1pScWV0ZnpYQ1RGcnc#gid=110

We collectively hit over 480 miles last month. With the (hopefully) cooler weather and with some fresh legs, I think we can hit 550 this month. Anyone else want to place any bets?

Let's keep stashin' those miles!

cdttmm

• Stubble
Re: September Running Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:19 AM »
How do I join the challenge?

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
Oops! Sorry, I made a mistake with the permissions, so the link I posted didn't work. It should be fixed now.

To sign up, click on the link mentioned in the first post (hopefully it works this time) and then follow the instructions at the top of the spreadsheet.

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »
Great idea! :) Joining for the first time.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
Training for the New York City Marathon November 3, so I should run a lot this month.

Nothing like public accountability to keep me honest.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Training for the New York City Marathon November 3, so I should run a lot this month.

Nothing like public accountability to keep me honest.

Nice. The next big marathon near me is December 1st. I've never run a full marathon before, but I'm awfully tempted.

Anyway, I believe Bill's also training for a marathon that's coming up, so we should get some good mileage recorded.

And Hemlock: Welcome!

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
Can you make some more blanks sheets?

I could probably figure it out, but I worry about breaking your formulas :)

acc7x3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
We collectively hit over 480 miles last month. With the (hopefully) cooler weather and with some fresh legs, I think we can hit 550 this month. Anyone else want to place any bets?

Sorry was out of town and just updated mine. I have a few nice distance races that should ad to the extra tally. And Glad to hear the weather is going to be cooler.

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I'm visiting my sister in Texas right now, so....guess I'm going to get a bit of heat training.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
Sorry was out of town and just updated mine. I have a few nice distance races that should ad to the extra tally. And Glad to hear the weather is going to be cooler.

Awesome. We broke the 500 mile mark!

That being the case, I think we can hit 600 miles this month (especially with all the new pairs of legs).

Can you make some more blanks sheets?

I could probably figure it out, but I worry about breaking your formulas :)
Sure. I've added a tab and row entry for you. I can't take credit for any of the formulae (I think FitStash did the original spreadsheet), but it's actually pretty robust and hard to get wrong (famous last words...). As an added bonus, you got the nifty weekend highlighting that etselec added to his (hers?).

I'm visiting my sister in Texas right now, so....guess I'm going to get a bit of heat training.

Well, stay safe. :-)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
@Acc7x3: Do you get a blue ribbon with your reward?

acc7x3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
@Acc7x3: Do you get a blue ribbon with your reward?
Yes I do. I get that and a dog named Pabst to lick the sweat off of me.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
I'm sidelined with a foot injury but I'll be running in spirit. Have fun and always run while you can, because you never know when you won't be able to! (For a little while)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
I'm sidelined with a foot injury but I'll be running in spirit. Have fun and always run while you can, because you never know when you won't be able to! (For a little while)

That sucks. It's not the same toe, is it?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »

That sucks. It's not the same toe, is it?

Nope, this time is a mystery pain on the top of my foot. I had my stride analysed by a physical therapist and I'm working on some modifications to my form, but any significant amount of mileage in this tuning period is out :(

acc7x3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
Nope, this time is a mystery pain on the top of my foot. I had my stride analysed by a physical therapist and I'm working on some modifications to my form, but any significant amount of mileage in this tuning period is out :(

Just toughen up and run on your hands, that is your only option. That is my professional medical opinion. 
(note: I am not an M.D., or in the medical field what so ever. So don't take this advice.)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Interesting... Something seemed a bit different in the spreadsheet today, and it took me a second to realize we have a new ordering. I haven't yet cracked the code on what it's sorted by, but I guess variety is the spice of life. :-)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »

Just toughen up and run on your hands, that is your only option. That is my professional medical opinion. 
(note: I am not an M.D., or in the medical field what so ever. So don't take this advice.)

Okay, I lolled.

Seriously, best wishes on the recovery, Yolfer. I can empathize -- being injured sucks :-/.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »
Interesting... Something seemed a bit different in the spreadsheet today, and it took me a second to realize we have a new ordering. I haven't yet cracked the code on what it's sorted by, but I guess variety is the spice of life. :-)

I kept having to scroll down to see my bar so I took the liberty of moving some people who hadn't posted. I hope that's okay. I made sure not to lose any data.

This is my big training month for November's marathon so I expect to post more than usual.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »

Ok, I'll give this a try. Just gotta figure out how to fit my hands into Five Fingers shoes.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »

I kept having to scroll down to see my bar so I took the liberty of moving some people who hadn't posted. I hope that's okay. I made sure not to lose any data.

This is my big training month for November's marathon so I expect to post more than usual.

Ah, that explains it. I personally don't have a problem with that (and hopefully Racher and Kamikazee don't take issue ;) ) .

Actually, to keep things clean, maybe it's worth instituting a policy where only runners who logged miles the previous month get automatically carried over to the next month? Everyone would of course be free to manually add themselves back in at any time.

Does that seem reasonable to folks? If no one objects, we can start that in October.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Ok, I'll give this a try. Just gotta figure out how to fit my hands into Five Fingers shoes.
Not gonna happen. Better to go out and buy five toes.

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
My whole life doctors have been telling me things like "you shouldn't run".  I switched doctors this summer.  After some haggling, he gave me an emergency-only inhaler and approved my running plan.  I'm currently in the middle of the training program Couch to 5K.  Very happy with my current progress, my goal is to finish the program with no injuries.

On my page in the spreadsheet, I've added links to GPS data for each run for enhanced accountability. 

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »
My whole life doctors have been telling me things like "you shouldn't run".  I switched doctors this summer.  After some haggling, he gave me an emergency-only inhaler and approved my running plan.  I'm currently in the middle of the training program Couch to 5K.  Very happy with my current progress, my goal is to finish the program with no injuries.

On my page in the spreadsheet, I've added links to GPS data for each run for enhanced accountability.

Awesome! Welcome aboard.

You also have the honor of being the first runner to fall off the edge of the bar-chart (in case you were wondering why you didn't get a blue bar). I bumped up the range to include you.

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »
We just hit the 500 mile mark! I started running towards my gf's work expecting her to just pick me up on her way back home...turns out she had to work late so I ran the whole 10.2 miles. ;)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »
We just hit the 500 mile mark! I started running towards my gf's work expecting her to just pick me up on her way back home...turns out she had to work late so I ran the whole 10.2 miles. ;)

Hey, that's fantastic! I bet your gf must have been a little surprised to see you.

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
Tomorrow is a rest day, so I’ve posted my numbers for the month. 

At the beginning of the month, I had to push myself hard to run for three minutes solid.  This week was three runs at 25 minutes each.  no rests.

I’m so happy with the progress I’ve made.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »
"I’m so happy with the progress I’ve made."

Me too!

I've definitely run farther and enjoyed my running more than I would have otherwise. I hope I've inspired others as much as everyone has inspired me.

My only regret is we can't all get together for a beer together. Well, you can't see it, but I'm toasting you all with the bottle I'm enjoying after today's run.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Oh yeah, I posted about running on my blog the other day. Turns out when you don't accurately measure how far you run, you get the distance wrong. http://joshuaspodek.com/oops-haha-miles-uh-meant

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
I've got 4 or 5 miles scheduled for after work.  5.5 will get me to 100 miles for the month, so I might go a little farther than scheduled so I can hit that number.  If one more person does the same, we'll hit 600 for the month!

October should be a big running month for me, since I'm coming up on the peak weeks of training for my December marathon, and I have a half marathon scheduled on the 19th (instead of the 14 mile run my training plan calls for).

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
596.9 miles for the month with twelve hours left on the East Coast.

Sounds like Bill96 will get us over 600. Anyone else good for three miles just in case?

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »

Hey, that's fantastic! I bet your gf must have been a little surprised to see you.

Haha, yeah! She asked "Where are you?"
I said, "Just go outside."
"But I need to know where you are."
"Just go outside..."
"But...wait...are you here..."
*silence on my end*
"Guess you are. What the heck."

Good times. :)

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »

Haha, yeah! She asked "Where are you?"
I said, "Just go outside."
"But I need to know where you are."
"Just go outside..."
"But...wait...are you here..."
*silence on my end*
"Guess you are. What the heck."

Good times. :)

Keep it up and she'll have to start working somewhere 26.2 miles from your work.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
Wow. Thanks to some pretty heroic efforts across the board, we made it! Congrats everyone on 607+ hard-fought miles!

Of course, there's still an hour and a bit on the Pacific coast, in case someone wants to take a victory lap :-).