Author Topic: September - No Fast Food Month!  (Read 16578 times)

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
September - No Fast Food Month!
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
Alright... so I have a REALLY bad habit in regards to fast food. I don't really have that problem with restaurants because I hate the price tag, so I don't go (unless with family or special occasion, like I might do for my b-day in September), but I also hate to cook so fast food is that quick and easy option. I always eat off the value menus so it still comes up to be less than $300 a month or so... but it's REALLY unhealthy, so I want to get in the habit of bringing lunch to work more and eating at home instead of stopping by Taco bell or Krystals on the way back from work. I say September, but I'm going to start today. Right now.

After I finish this post, I'm going to look up some really tasty recipes, go to the store, and buy up what I need. If I run out of food, I'll go buy more, but I will NOT eat at a fast food joint until at LEAST October.

aarmfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: September - No Fast Food Month!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
This is a really great idea.  I am doing this with my wife as well.  Also, if you want to know of some great home cook recipes, you should check out slow cooking.  It is really easy since you just throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, turn it on, and when you get home, you have a meal ready to go.  No need to wait for an hour after work of cooking.

Here is the crock pot we got:
http://www.casa.com/p/crock-pot-sccpvl600-cook-n-carry-6-quart-oval-manual-portable-slow-cooker-274972?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=EWE-007&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1309089964&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

Some great recipes can be found online, but I use this forum for recipes and ideas:
http://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/

Good luck!

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
Those are some great recipes. Made some ribs in the slow cooker last night!

That's the key to making the change... it's not as simple as hunkering down and saying 'Thou shalt not go to fast food this month!', the key to success of quitting it (or any diet in general) is to prepare yourself and plan what stuff you will substitute. It will create less resistance.

haha every few months I go through my cupboards and throw out everything that is junk food ("poison! poison!"), but if I'm not proactive and don't immediately fill my place with healthy substitutes then I just start making cookies from scratch. haha

Lesson learned, have your at-home meals planned out each week.

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »
This is a really great idea.  I am doing this with my wife as well.  Also, if you want to know of some great home cook recipes, you should check out slow cooking.  It is really easy since you just throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, turn it on, and when you get home, you have a meal ready to go.  No need to wait for an hour after work of cooking.

Here is the crock pot we got:
http://www.casa.com/p/crock-pot-sccpvl600-cook-n-carry-6-quart-oval-manual-portable-slow-cooker-274972?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=EWE-007&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1309089964&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

Some great recipes can be found online, but I use this forum for recipes and ideas:
http://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/

Good luck!

After writing my post, I went to wal-mart and bought a three compartment slow cooker for like $30, a george forman 4 serving grill ($35?), and a toaster oven ($35?) along with about $400 worth of food and cooking accessories (Mainly food). It was a bit excessive, but a lot of those things you only buy once without having to buy again for a loooong time (spices, thermometer, mixing bowls, etc.). Thanks for the recipe ideas! I'll be putting that slow cooker to good use!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »
Good luck Vitai Slade!!  That's a great challenge!  You can do it!

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:34 AM »
I'm in. For me I'm going to include bakeries.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »
I am ashamed to say that I don't know if I can do this... But what the heck, I'm in!

Situation: Many "cheap" and delicious takeouts within walking distance from front door
Solution: Freezer meals, maybe?
Possible problem: No space in the tiny fridge, and no microwave. Would buying stuff (microwave and freezer) make sense?

Situation: Friends who like eating out
Solution: Invite them over instead; compromise with other activities. My partner cooks better than most restaurant food anyway, but it takes forever because he is meticulous.
Possible problem: These are newish friends, so I don't want to refuse invites at this stage

Eep. Anyway, yeah, I'm in!

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
I have been off fast food and (most) processed food for three months now. Haven't felt this great in years.

Fruits are my "fast food" now. Can't get much faster than a nice, ripe, organic peach! :)

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
"September - No Fast Food Month!"

How about 2013-14 -- No fast food year

Or 2010s -- No fast food decade

Or 2000s -- No fast food milennium

Or just "No fast food."

Why pay people to poison you?

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »

Everyone once in a while I like to have a beer or two :)

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:53 AM »

How about 2013-14 -- No fast food year

Or 2010s -- No fast food decade

Or 2000s -- No fast food milennium

Or just "No fast food."

We all have to start somewhere.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
When it comes to food, I think you need to taper down instead of going cold turkey.

How about just trying fast food ONE day a week to start?

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »

Because I don't want to try fast food for one day a week to start?

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »

Because I don't want to try fast food for one day a week to start?

I'm with you-cold turkey is the way to go.  I stopped eating out last month entirely and it was great.   Once the option of "Oh just this once..." is removed, I just didn't eat out AT ALL.  I'm going to keep it up for September too. 

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
I'm not a cold turkey person, either.

Here's a great crockpot recipe for the chicken for chicken tacos:

Chicken breasts or tenders (I usually do an economy sized pack so I have leftovers, 2-3 pounds?)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch
8 ounces of chicken stock

Throw it all in the crockpot and come back in 4-6 hours (4 if on high, 6 if on low). You can put some rice in the bottom, but add about a cup of water or another cup of chicken stock if you do.

Shred the chicken (or not) and serve on tortillas with whatever sides you want (homemade guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.). We also do black beans on the side (canned, haven't figured out how to cook dry beans yet).

Delicious.

We need to reduce our eating out expenditures, they've gotten a little nutty in the past month. We'll give it a go for September. Although, I do have a gift certificate to a restaurant which I reserve the right to use without penalty. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:43:45 PM by kkbmustang »

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
I find the key is having leftovers.  If you roast a whole chicken, you have tasty chicken for sandwiches, soup, salad, whatever.  Just anytime you bother to cook, make a lot.  Be honest with yourself when your tired of something and don't want to eat more and at that stage throw it in the freezer before it goes bad.
Freezing leftovers in individual portions is also a good way to make sure you always have a lunch to take to work.  I do this when I make something like lentil soup.  Good the first couple of servings, but then you need a break.  Keeps me from tossing perfectly good food.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »
That's a great idea jflo.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
I need a new challenge so I'm in.  I just bought a new bike rack and pannier so I need to cut out something.  I get tempted to buy little treats here and there when out with my kids and it really can add up.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
While I love eating out - a good Vermicelli bowl or sushi here and there (I love Asian and Indian food).... I abhor fast food. I have fast food maybe once or twice a year and then it's probably In and Out which - come on - is awesome.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »
I'm in! We're guilty of getting fast food mainly because of convenience. However, I know that we could prep our meals and save more money that way, and eat more healthy!

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
Ok start the face punches... but I plan TO get some fast food this month. I received coupons in the mail for 50% a McWrap that I really like, which then comes out to a $2.50(ish) lunch.
And I may have gone through the recycle bin in my condo next to the mail boxes and took 5 more coupons that others didn't want. :D

But this challenge is a good one, good luck peeps!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
I have to clarify that when I said we were in for no fast food in September, I meant no restaurants. We don't do fast food (like McDonald's, etc.). I have one GC for a GF pizza place that I know we will use this month for sure.

Made it through the long weekend without buying restaurant or fast food. We had a get together at a friend's house on Saturday (we brought salad) and I cooked in the rest of the time.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
Oops.  I stopped at McDonalds (and not a cheap McDonalds...) for dinner during my Labor Day travels.

Maybe I'll start this today :)

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
I'm in for no restaurants.  AND I'm going to add the challenge of no deli lunch meat (we've been spending $8-$10/week on deli meat).  We started out the month by smoking a turkey (had been in the freezer, got on sale last Christmas), and this will be the lunch meat for the week.  Next Sunday I'm going to roast or rotisserie a chicken and that will be next week's lunch meat.

I'm also going to add in making at least one pot of dried beans per week -- and will find multiple uses for the beans throughout the week.  This week will be garbanzo beans.  I'll add them to salads, make hummus and add them to Indian curries.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
Sorry to the McWrap afficionado upthread, but it seems like "McWrap" sounds a lot like "McCrap", no?  I wonder if their marketing department realized that??

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »
Four days in and I have failed. My partner got KFC and I had two wings. There were leftovers in the fridge but he doesn't like leftovers and needs to either eat a full meal, or nothing at all. I can't exactly forbid him from eating and I didn't make dinner because I thought the leftovers would be good.
Not sure what the solution is if the goal is to have a cooked meal every day (not salads, soups and leftovers) with two people working full time. Any help would be appreciated.
*sadface*

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »
There were leftovers in the fridge but he doesn't like leftovers and needs to either eat a full meal, or nothing at all. I can't exactly forbid him from eating and I didn't make dinner because I thought the leftovers would be good.
Not sure what the solution is if the goal is to have a cooked meal every day (not salads, soups and leftovers) with two people working full time.

How unacceptable are leftovers?  E.g. if you have breaded chicken one night, can you do hot open faced sandwiches the next where you cut open a baguette, nuke the chicken, and then put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes with some cheese & bell peppers? 

What counts in your minds as a "cooked meal"?  You might want to invest in a slow cooker (I don't have one, but sometimes we have popcorn for dinner because nobody feels like cooking).  I keep quesadillas in the freezer, they just need 10 minutes in the oven once it's heated.

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
Four days in and I have failed. My partner got KFC and I had two wings. There were leftovers in the fridge but he doesn't like leftovers and needs to either eat a full meal, or nothing at all. I can't exactly forbid him from eating and I didn't make dinner because I thought the leftovers would be good.
Not sure what the solution is if the goal is to have a cooked meal every day (not salads, soups and leftovers) with two people working full time. Any help would be appreciated.
*sadface*

Nah, snacking on leftover doesn't count, I don't think. Free food = free food. Just as long as you don't BUY any fast food or go out of your way to get some.

Riceman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
*sadface*

With practice, things will speed up dramatically in the kitchen.  It's all about getting the right set of habits.  Like let's say you buy a bunch of chicken breasts and stick them in the freezer.  When I started out, I would take out the whole thing, which would be a massive wedge of frozen chicken, pry apart a few with a knife (perhaps bending it), defrost in the microwave, thus cooking some parts of the chicken and leaving others rock hard, and only then was I able to clean off extra fat or skin.  I've spent 5-10 minutes, the chicken looks terrible, and I haven't even started cooking!

But now when I buy chicken in bulk from the store I come home, clean it (it's defrosted so this is easy), package into ziploc quart size bags (not too full, about a pound in each), and throw in the freezer.  The night before cooking, I take out enough bags to make the amount of chicken I want, put the bags into a large bowl/container, fill the container with water, and put in the fridge.  The next evening the chicken is already defrosted, cleaned, and ready to dump directly into the pan--you don't even need to clean your cutting board. 

Once you start cooking, especially if you practice making the same things, it becomes easy to make good food in short time periods, even after work.  Rice cookers also make it easy to make a full meal, and dishes that you serve with rice often cook very quickly. 

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:38 AM »
*sadface*

Nah, snacking on leftover doesn't count, I don't think. Free food = free food. Just as long as you don't BUY any fast food or go out of your way to get some.

Facepunch on the bogus logic.

At least Osprey owned up to his or her failure. We learn from failure.

Eating the junk increases demand. The partner sees it eaten and feels motivated to buy more next time, thinking "Osprey will eat what I don't. I'll make Osprey happy and buy more junk." If the partner sees the "food" get moldy, the partner won't buy as much KFC.

The point isn't to change the partner's behavior. The point is to help Osprey follow through on Osprey's goals of beating an addiction. Saving a couple dollars on a meal with unhealthy "food" that sustains an addiction doesn't help.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:41:40 PM by JoshuaSpodek »

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
I'm in for no fast food September, even before I saw this thread.

Osprey, I'll suggest a free, 2 week trial of mealime.com
They send you recipes and grocery lists for 6 meals a week that make enough for dinner and lunch in 30 minutes.  I like them.  There is usually 1 vegetarian meal and 1 salad with something, plus 4 other meat based meals.  The ingredients aren't particularly frugal, but I got an 12 week free trial and I learned a lot about how to cook and how to season food. And, you can always rotate back through the recipes, and buy on sale.   If you were cooking for 2 it would be enough for dinner, but not lunch, so no leftovers.

Slow cookers are great for some people, but I'm gone from the house from 8 to 8: for me, the slow cooker food is often not so good after an additional 4 hours of unnecessary "warming."  It works for chili and stew, but not for the more complex meals that work for some people.  I also kind of hate eating the same thing for 4 meals in a row.  I think some people solve the four in a row issue by cooking and eating it one night, and freezing the rest to eat later in the month. 

Osprey, could you pre-cook and freeze ingredients?  Like cook and freeze taco meat, grilled chicken, and even partially cooked rice?  Then you can turn that in to tacos, or chicken alfredo, or a side relatively quickly?

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »
I'm in. I've actually been eating fast food at least once a month for the last few months...

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 01:58:22 AM »
Eating the junk increases demand. The partner sees it eaten and feels motivated to buy more next time, thinking "Osprey will eat what I don't. I'll make Osprey happy and buy more junk." If the partner sees the "food" get moldy, the partner won't buy as much KFC.
Yeh. That's it exactly. But actually he will just eat it all, portion control be damned. Sometimes I eat it even when I'd rather just have a banana. If I say I am having leftovers/sandwiches for dinner he will say he doesn't want any and starve himself. Not out of spite but just because to him, a "meal" has very specific requirements. So I concede to the takeaway. :/ From now on though I am standing my ground.

Osprey, I'll suggest a free, 2 week trial of mealime.com
Thanks for the tip, I am eager to give it a shot and will report back :)

How unacceptable are leftovers?
What counts in your minds as a "cooked meal"?
These are good suggestions, thank you. I am flexible about food and eating times, but I'd say a "meal" for MrOsprey is the equivalent of when you'd order starter + main + side dish +/- dessert at a restaurant. All eaten together at "mealtime."

Thanks for all the help. From the comments it looks like we may need to get a freezer, microwave and maybe even a slow cooker, which is kinda depressing to me. When I was living alone I did just fine with a toaster oven and fridge!
NO takeout since my previous post though. :)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
Help!  I'm totally sucking at this challenge!  I have spent $20 so far at the Barnes and Noble Cafe and at McDonalds!  Geesh!  I am blaming it on my kids because when we are out and about I keep wanting to get them little treats like a cookie or a drink.  Don't worry, my kids are tiny little toothpicks so I'm not too worried about them having a little treat now and then but damn these things add up.  Someone face punch me so I can finish this challenge with a little bit of dignity.

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »
Help!  I'm totally sucking at this challenge!  I have spent $20 so far at the Barnes and Noble Cafe and at McDonalds!  Geesh!  I am blaming it on my kids because when we are out and about I keep wanting to get them little treats like a cookie or a drink.  Don't worry, my kids are tiny little toothpicks so I'm not too worried about them having a little treat now and then but damn these things add up.  Someone face punch me so I can finish this challenge with a little bit of dignity.

Read Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser, then  Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, by Michael Moss. Once I found out in detail just how manipulative and greedy corporate food was, and how bad it is for the overall economy, it was much easier for me to swear off both fast food AND most preprocessed foods.

Anger is a powerful motivator.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »
I had a moment of weakness today which resulted in a drive thru Starbucks encounter. Whoops.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »

If you asked for some encouragement I'd give you some encouragement, but you asked for a face punch, so I presume that motivates you and I'll give you a face punch by describing what you are doing from another perspective. Sorry if my face punch is more than you wanted. I'm writing what would motivate me since I could have written what you wrote.

First, you are doing something you consider wrong or at least contrary to your goals.

Instead of taking responsibility, you blame someone else. Whom? Your kids. (Though you did make yourself publicly accountable, which I respect and admire greatly).

By buying them this stuff as "treats" you're teaching them to value them, to consider them good. You rationalize that because they are healthy you can contribute to them becoming unhealthy? If they then become unhealthy, is there any mystery how or why that would have happened? As you said, "these things add up." To fat, to wasting money, to not sticking to goals, to blaming others for one's behavior...

But let's get to the bottom line issue, more important than what you ate, at least in my opinion. You said you would do something and you didn't. If you don't think other people can tell, they can. What you do makes you who you are. I wrote a short post about this issue -- http://joshuaspodek.com/belief-promote-integrity-authenticity -- integrity.

I don't know your personal goals, but personally, I've found the SMART mnemonic -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria -- helpful, where the 'A' stands for attainable. If one month without junk is not attainable, you might succeed more by setting an attainable goal, achieving it, and build on that success next time. Or if you consider the one-month zero junk goal achievable, you might look inside yourself, figure out what you need to do to meet it, dig deep, and do what it takes to make it happen. Obviously you have the support of everyone here.

I suggest you don't want to finish this challenge with a mere "little bit of dignity" but with a great sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, and eagerness to achieve your next, bigger goal.

Was that too much? It took me years to go from eating junk to preferring fresh fruits and vegetables. Now I'd rather eat the books in Barnes and Noble than the "food" in their cafe and McDonalds.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
Holy shit JoshuaSpodek, that was a massive face punch!  I promise no more fast food for the rest of the month!  Whew, I needed that!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
It's awesome that you, imustachemystash, appreciated that face punch by JoshuaSpodek.  Nice work, both of you.  Good to see this forum helping folks make positive change.

I refer to processed food and junk food and fast food as "phood".  It's not real!  Most of it barely resembles actual food!  It also amuses me that the McWrap (supposedly a healthy choice at McD's, sounds like McCrap.

If you are going to treat yourself, imustachemystash, do it with real food!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
Yeh. That's it exactly. But actually he will just eat it all, portion control be damned. Sometimes I eat it even when I'd rather just have a banana. If I say I am having leftovers/sandwiches for dinner he will say he doesn't want any and starve himself.

I don't want to sound callous, but I would just go ahead and let him starve himself.  He's a grown adult, right?  I have on occasion had situations where my BF doesn't want whatever is on offer for dinner.  I let him know what else we have on hand, and he either puts together an alternative meal for himself or doesn't eat. I know that whatever I've pulled together is acceptable in terms of calories/nutrition, if he just "doesn't feel like eating" whatever it is, that's his problem (I do plan meals with his tastes/preferences in mind, just doesn't always work perfectly).

How unacceptable are leftovers?
What counts in your minds as a "cooked meal"?
These are good suggestions, thank you. I am flexible about food and eating times, but I'd say a "meal" for MrOsprey is the equivalent of when you'd order starter + main + side dish +/- dessert at a restaurant. All eaten together at "mealtime."

If he's ordering KFC in lieu of eating in, does he really need a meal that is so complicated?  It sounds to me if it's KFC vs sandwich and banana, maybe a big component is hot vs. cold?  In which case yes, a microwave could really help you.

Also, how big is your tiny freezer?  Do you guys have a mini-fridge (i.e., under the counter size?) or just something that is smaller than the current "average"?  Our fridge/freezer is on the smaller end of "normal" but we still get quite a bit of stuff in the freezer.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

Chicken breasts or tenders (I usually do an economy sized pack so I have leftovers, 2-3 pounds?)
1 packet of ranch

Throw it all in the crockpot and come back in 4-6 hours (4 if on high, 6 if on low). You can put some rice in the bottom, but add about a cup of water or another cup of chicken stock if you do.

Shred the chicken (or not) and serve on tortillas with whatever sides you want (homemade guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.). We also do black beans on the side (canned, haven't figured out how to cook dry beans yet).

Delicious.

For a long, low, wet-cooking method like this, I suggest modifying the recipe to use chicken thighs. Not only should they turn out more flavorful and juicier than breasts, but they're considerably cheaper too.

Moreover, once you're using multiple chicken parts it opens up the possibility of simply buying whole chickens (which are even cheaper still). Take it home, cut it up, and freeze the pieces separately. Then use the thighs & legs for slow/wet cooking methods (poaching, braising, etc.) and use the breasts for quick/dry cooking methods (sauteing, grilling, pan-frying, etc.). As a bonus, you get a meal's worth of wings with every couple of chickens (which saves a lot of money, since frozen bags of wings are even more expensive than breasts!), and the organs (liver, etc.) if you're into that sort of thing.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »

If he's ordering KFC in lieu of eating in, does he really need a meal that is so complicated?  It sounds to me if it's KFC vs sandwich and banana, maybe a big component is hot vs. cold?  In which case yes, a microwave could really help you.

Also, how big is your tiny freezer?  Do you guys have a mini-fridge (i.e., under the counter size?) or just something that is smaller than the current "average"?  Our fridge/freezer is on the smaller end of "normal" but we still get quite a bit of stuff in the freezer.

Lol. All my life I have been trying to let people (friends and family, I am the eldest of four kids) starve themselves if they didn't want what I'd made. When it comes to food I have huge mothering tendencies. Something to work on. :/
I took another look and we could make the freezer work if we took out the loaf of bread and frozen meat (butcher and grocers are down the road). But what you said about hot v.s. col food made a lot of sense to me, maybe that is the sticking point. For example, MrOsprey will eat toasted sandwiches but not cold open sandwiches. Hmm...

I had another run-in with KFC but only one wing this time, haha! It's more important at this stage to figure out good habits, so I am extending this challenge indefinitely. Thanks to Vitae Slade for starting the thread!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:49:57 AM by Osprey »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
But what you said about hot v.s. col food made a lot of sense to me, maybe that is the sticking point. For example, MrOsprey will eat toasted sandwiches but not cold open sandwiches. Hmm...

Heh. I hope it does turn out to be that simple for you!  In my personal experience, every guy in my life (dad, brothers, boyfriend) are incredibly keyed in to the temperature.  If it is hot, it is more likely to be seen as a meal!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
Holy shit JoshuaSpodek, that was a massive face punch!  I promise no more fast food for the rest of the month!  Whew, I needed that!

I tried not to cross any boundaries while aiming for maximum effectiveness based on what you wrote.

I look forward to hearing your results in October.

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »

1 packet of ranch

Delicious.

For a long, low, wet-cooking method like this, I suggest modifying the recipe to use chicken thighs.

Or, you could use either pasture raised meat birds, or (especially) any heritage breed. The taste is far richer than any part of any bird raised in confinement such as those found in the typical grocery store.

Not quite as cheap, though. :)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »

1 packet of ranch

Delicious.

For a long, low, wet-cooking method like this, I suggest modifying the recipe to use chicken thighs.

Or, you could use either pasture raised meat birds, or (especially) any heritage breed. The taste is far richer than any part of any bird raised in confinement such as those found in the typical grocery store.

Not quite as cheap, though. :)

Surely a pasture-raised-heritage-breed thigh would still turn out better than a pasture-raised-heritage-breed breast in this case though?

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »

"Better" is a subjective term. Dark meat on a heritage bird is pretty strong, so I guess it depends on your tastes.

But maybe. :)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »

1 packet of ranch

Delicious.

Hey, I just wanted to say I tried this recipe today.  It was really easy, fast, and cheap!  Everyone gobbled it up and we have a little left for leftovers for tomorrow!  I used 3 chicken breasts and next time I will use 4.  It was a little bit salty so next time I will use low sodium stock (actually I should just make my own stock).  Thanks for sharing!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »

1 packet of ranch

Delicious.

Hey, I just wanted to say I tried this recipe today.  It was really easy, fast, and cheap!  Everyone gobbled it up and we have a little left for leftovers for tomorrow!  I used 3 chicken breasts and next time I will use 4.  It was a little bit salty so next time I will use low sodium stock (actually I should just make my own stock).  Thanks for sharing!

So glad to hear it!

decibelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
Alright... so I have a REALLY bad habit in regards to fast food. I don't really have that problem with restaurants because I hate the price tag, so I don't go (unless with family or special occasion, like I might do for my b-day in September), but I also hate to cook so fast food is that quick and easy option. I always eat off the value menus so it still comes up to be less than $300 a month or so... but it's REALLY unhealthy, so I want to get in the habit of bringing lunch to work more and eating at home instead of stopping by Taco bell or Krystals on the way back from work. I say September, but I'm going to start today. Right now.

After I finish this post, I'm going to look up some really tasty recipes, go to the store, and buy up what I need. If I run out of food, I'll go buy more, but I will NOT eat at a fast food joint until at LEAST October.

I love fast food fries but they give me stomach aches.  For those days when I'm really craving it, I'll make oven fries for dinner then use the leftover for a frittata later.  Frittata might be something you'd like to add to your office lunch repertoire. :)