Author Topic: September Cycling Challenge  (Read 11201 times)

etselec

• Stubble
September Cycling Challenge
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
OK everyone - September is here, and so is the September Cycling Challenge!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhzXhRnI6IaDdDdCWE5qcXNUSjVzYWxqWEJtQ000eFE&usp=sharing

Let's do it.

PindyStache

• Stubble
Re: September Cycling Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
This looks fun. I've joined the spreadsheet.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Thanks for setting it up!  We need a roster for this ;-)

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet!  Logging miles already :)

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
Just joined and started logging. I'm trying to up my bike commuting from two or three days a week to four or even all five so this is a great challenge for me! I also ditched my monthly subway pass so every day I bike commute is $5 I don't spend on the subway.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
Just joined and started logging. I'm trying to up my bike commuting from two or three days a week to four or even all five so this is a great challenge for me! I also ditched my monthly subway pass so every day I bike commute is $5 I don't spend on the subway.

Welcome, Blake! I was in the same boat a few months ago, and ditching the transit pass made a huge difference. On my tab of the spreadsheet, I set up two extra columns to log how much I spend on public transit and how much I'm saving vs. having a monthly pass. Take a look, and feel free to copy them over to your tab if you'd like. It definitely helps motivate me.

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Upping my ante this month. Bring it, Seattle.

ESunday

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
All righty, I just joined. I am commuting to work and school and will hopefully be making a trip from Columbus to Cincinnati on my bike to see the family this month.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
I joined the spreadsheet!

I have been commuting 7.5 miles to work everyday since last May. I love it!

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »

Welcome, Blake! I was in the same boat a few months ago, and ditching the transit pass made a huge difference. On my tab of the spreadsheet, I set up two extra columns to log how much I spend on public transit and how much I'm saving vs. having a monthly pass. Take a look, and feel free to copy them over to your tab if you'd like. It definitely helps motivate me.

Cool, I'll do that! Since I don't spend on gas (not having a car) it's the best way for me to look at money saved.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
I've decided my September goal is 442 km!  Why?  Because it will be 1 year since officially becoming Mustachian...at the end of September.  I have also been doing the bike challenge since that time.  My total biking for the last 11 months was 3558 km...so, I'd like to reach 4000 km for the first Mustache Year!

Tommygon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Hey guys, I just joined the forum specifically so that I can participate in this challenge. I've been reading MMM for a little over a year, but have just been a lurker on the forums, never really wanted to post. I have filled in the data using rides stored in Map My Ride for this month so far. I regularly commute 14 miles a day when I'm not doing sales calls or meeting with clients. My calendar looks pretty open, and we just brought on a full time sales person, so I am hoping to get a ton of riding in this month! Sorry if the comments on my sheet are too revealing or just seem weird, I am hoping to use this opportunity as a sort of cycling log, so that I can look back at individual rides to see my progress and things that I enjoyed or didn't enjoy.

I gotta admit, even though I am ashamed of it, I am uncomfortable using excel-like sheets and google docs if they aren't my docs to screw up. I'm a professional potter, and my Office skill is seriously lacking. If any of you fine folks could put me up on the main summary sheet, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tomski

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »
If any of you fine folks could put me up on the main summary sheet, I'd greatly appreciate it.

You're all set. Happy pedaling!

ESunday

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
On Monday I finally made the trip from Columbus to Cincinnati on my bicycle which I have wanted to do since starting at OSU. The final count was 119.01 miles!!! Woo Hoo!!

freerider156

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
just added myself to the spreadsheet so i can start tracking miles. average just under 100 miles a week and started biking about 2 months ago after starting to read MMM. loving it!!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
On Monday I finally made the trip from Columbus to Cincinnati on my bicycle which I have wanted to do since starting at OSU. The final count was 119.01 miles!!! Woo Hoo!!

ouch. Nice work!

young_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
Yes. Sounds like a great and tough ride ESunday! I hope to be able to build up my stamina to go on some long rides soon! My longest is about 25 miles so far. Trying to add whenever I can.

I have succesfully commuted to work for the last two weeks. I bring snacks and lunch to work every day and use the locker room and showers provided by my office building. (Sidenote: I learned the locker room is cleaned out every night, so I had to go to the lost and found for my dress shoes and belt one morning.) I am able to leave my bike in a secure room where my company also keeps all their archived project files. I bring a fresh pair of paints (rolled) and dress shirt (folded) every morning. I keep my dress shoes and belt in my cubicle to cut down on weight during the ride so I wear my cycling shoes through the lobby and up the elevator.

There is even a Sprouts on my ride home which I occasionally stop at for smaller grocery items. I am looking to upgrade to a bike rack to get the weight off my bike and provide a little more storage capacity for groceries, clothes, etc.

I am also looking into possibly getting more people at work interested in riding and possibly getting some recognition for my company through this certification: http://www.bikeleague.org/bfa

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
Sept is playing out in a "time = money" kinda way, or more of "money = time"

In Aug, work schedule was "normal" and i rode a lot. essentially traded the time on the bike for the $ saved in gas.  tho, still not sure if my main goal is savings or exercise; certainly a bit of both.

Sept - swamped at work.  have only ridden once during the week (+ today, Sat).  essentially  trading $ for some extra time at work.

where's that light at the end of the tunnel again?

b

Jwesleym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Just joined, and caught up to today.  I pretty much only use the bike for work, and haven't been as good as I should recently.  Hopefully this will push me in the right direction. 

Thanks!!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
We are quickly approaching the 100,000km mark for all-time miles. Sweet pedaling people!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Well, I added myself but this may be the worst month in history to be joining. We're in the middle of a 1000-year flood here in Denver and the bike paths are under water or closed. Who knows what's left of them. Anyone have any idea?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
It is starting to feel like fall, 37 degrees (F) when I headed out this morning! Dust off that winter biking gear from last spring...

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
So far I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped! It takes me about 15 minutes longer right now to get to work via bike than subway so whenever I'm running slightly behind (which is OFTEN with an unpredictable toddler) I end up taking the subway to work. I do still bike home, though (I use the bike share, so that's doable).

I think the problem is the Citibikes and unpredictable NYC traffic. The Citibikes are SLOW—I know it is possible to get to my office in 30-40 minutes (it's only a 5.3-mile ride) and yet it often takes me 50 minutes! And there are often traffic snarls where cars block the bike lanes and there's no way to get through.

Even though I don't really have room for a bike in my apartment (and there's no bike parking for my building) I have really been thinking about eventually getting a hybrid bike of my own on Craigslist.

(I also had to take a week off when I had a flareup of carpal tunnel.)

Maybe I will get up early enough tomorrow to go both ways!

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Yay for cooler weather finally!

@blake201 - hang in there!  I know the bike share bikes are heavy behemoths, but you'll also get faster through traffic the more you ride.  Takes a while to get comfortable around cars, know when drivers can see you, and not mind when you have to just take a lane and a driver gets pissed off - specially in a place like NYC (I lived in London for a while and imagine it's similar - it's funny to me that here in Cali they're trying to pass a 3-feet rule for drivers passing cyclists. In London, 3 inches was a luxury).

As to fitting a bike in the apartment, I've found when I'm riding all the time, I don't mind having my bike around inside since it seems necessary.  It's when you don't ride that having a bike in a small space really just mocks you.

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
Yay for cooler weather finally!

@blake201 - hang in there!  I know the bike share bikes are heavy behemoths, but you'll also get faster through traffic the more you ride.  Takes a while to get comfortable around cars, know when drivers can see you, and not mind when you have to just take a lane and a driver gets pissed off - specially in a place like NYC (I lived in London for a while and imagine it's similar - it's funny to me that here in Cali they're trying to pass a 3-feet rule for drivers passing cyclists. In London, 3 inches was a luxury).

As to fitting a bike in the apartment, I've found when I'm riding all the time, I don't mind having my bike around inside since it seems necessary.  It's when you don't ride that having a bike in a small space really just mocks you.

I bet London is similar. Three-feet passing would be AMAZING! I feel like I'm almost getting clipped all the time whenever I'm not on one of the fully protected bike lanes. And while cars are clearly the MOST frustrating part of the ride, I am surprised by how many pedestrians stand in the bike lane while waiting for the crossing signal... forcing bikers to swerve out into traffic and risk their lives. I wonder if I used to do that and didn't even realize it!

I am getting more comfortable each day and I definitely take the lane when I have to. But I just find myself constantly fantasizing that cars will be outlawed in NYC. :)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »

Even though I don't really have room for a bike in my apartment (and there's no bike parking for my building) I have really been thinking about eventually getting a hybrid bike of my own on Craigslist.

I have not owned one, but would a folding bike be a good solution for this?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 08:13:51 AM »
I added mine, about 5 and a half miles so far, I picked up a bike last week and so far I've only been able to ride about a mile a day. I get too tired to go longer :( I'm aiming for 2 mile trips for next week or in 2 weeks.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »
Keep after it, eyem!  You will get there!

young_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
Not sure if this is totally un-Mustachian or not, but I am looking into purchasing panniers for my daily commute. This would remove the weight/sweat from my back and allow for a more comfortable ride.

Does anyone have suggestions for what brand/style to look into? I would prefer something with a handle/strap to allow me to easily carry it from bike parking to the locker room to the office, etc.

Thanks!

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »

I have not owned one, but would a folding bike be a good solution for this?

Hmmm... I was thinking about that but it's hard to get a cheap folding bike on Craigslist (at least from when I searched... I saw used folding bikes often for $1,000+!) and I worry it would be harder to ride than a regular bike, which would defeat the purpose for me.

Right now we have my husband's bike (with the kid seat on it) behind the couch and my daughter's Skoot and I've just been using Citibike, but... My husband suggested I just stick to Citibike for now and wait and see how badly I want my own bike in a few months. And they may also expand the system to more locations so I'll be able to get to some of the parks and places I can't go right now.

Dwayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
Not sure if this is totally un-Mustachian or not, but I am looking into purchasing panniers for my daily commute. This would remove the weight/sweat from my back and allow for a more comfortable ride.

Does anyone have suggestions for what brand/style to look into? I would prefer something with a handle/strap to allow me to easily carry it from bike parking to the locker room to the office, etc.

Thanks!

As much as I like saving money, I also like buying a quality item that will last and do its job right, even if it costs more initially. I use Ortlieb Classic panniers for my daily commute, they're completely waterproof, very durable, and very secure while at the same time taking all of two seconds (literally) to remove from the bike. I bought mine new for $110 shipped for a pair, which I think isn't bad for something made in Germany and not China. Ridden in many torrential downpours, bone dry inside. To remove from the bike, just pull up on the strap at the top to open the latches, bag comes right off.

Here's a pic of mine from a three-day trip:

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

Thanks!

Pretty sweet setup Dwayne!

There are a lot of panniers discussions on these forums, just do a search... Seems mustachian enough to buy one if you get good use out of it/it helps replace other larger transportation expenses. I just use one of these myself: http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/MTXTrunkBagDX.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »

Thanks!
+1 on Ortlieb panniers. Not the cheapest, but the best. Will last forever. Everything stays dry no matter what. The company stands behind their product and if anything failed, they'd have replacement parts.

As much as I like saving money, I also like buying a quality item that will last and do its job right, even if it costs more initially. I use Ortlieb Classic panniers for my daily commute, they're completely waterproof, very durable, and very secure while at the same time taking all of two seconds (literally) to remove from the bike. I bought mine new for $110 shipped for a pair, which I think isn't bad for something made in Germany and not China. Ridden in many torrential downpours, bone dry inside. To remove from the bike, just pull up on the strap at the top to open the latches, bag comes right off.

Here's a pic of mine from a three-day trip:

Sunnycyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bike Commute Challenge
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
I only just found this thread, but I've actually been logging my bike trips all month. I'm lucky enough to live in Portland, Oregon, where we have the Bike Commute Challenge for the city every September. There is support for new riders, snack stations on major routes, and lots of prizes at the end!

Portland is a super bikey places, and my primary transport has been cycling for the 10 years I've lived here, but September has been a big challenge for me. I just started a new job after working from home for 5 years (only biking for errands/fun). I'm really happy to have to get out and ride every day. It's even downhill on the way to work, so I arrive awake with a healthy glow (the ride home is slower and my healthy glow is a more of a sweaty lobster). Personal savings = $100/mo bus pass, $35/mo gym membership, and its twice as fast as the bus!

I've added my trips to the spreadsheet, and updated the formulas to include all rows on the main sheet. 

To young_one: I also vote Ortlieb. All my stuff is dry even in a downpour today. Got a pair off a friend for $80, but I've also seen them on CL for reasonable amounts. I am much more empowered to ride when I'm not afraid of the weather or being weighed down by a messenger bag.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
This group is coming up on $10,000 saved in a year, not to mention an M2-Bradley IFV worth of CO2 that was never emitted. Seriously impressive!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
This group is coming up on $10,000 saved in a year, not to mention an M2-Bradley IFV worth of CO2 that was never emitted. Seriously impressive!

And it looks like we're braking the record of miles ridden in a month!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 05:45:40 AM »
I had an only okay month of riding, what with work craziness and everything else. I did get to use the bike share system when I was in Chicago for work, and that was a blast (even tho I got lost and went like 10 miles out of my way one day).

Great to see so many other folks hopping aboard the challenge! Let's tear it up in October :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »
I'll pass 200 for the month on the way home from work today.  Was striving for 250 but had a pulled back muscle at the beginning of the month.

Let's rock October!!!

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
Oof! Didn't have a goal this month but seeing that 349 means next month's goal is 350!  Nice work everyone!

blake201

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
My RSI wrist pain has been acting up and now I have to take a break from hand-intensive activities like biking (and sewing/knitting/cooking and all my other favorite things... typing this with voice dictation software). But I still biked more in September than any other month in my life! :(

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
Do we have a thread for October, yet?