Author Topic: September Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 3038 times)

jordanread

September Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
The cycling challenge for September 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:18:31 AM by jordanread »

TrMama

Re: September Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
Thanks for getting this up, Jordan!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Ugh - had a rough week with drivers this week. It was really hard to get back on my bike today. One even yelled at me for not following the rules of the road after I made a left turn - I was too far left in his opinion, well duh! I was making a left turn in 3 houses... and going down a hill. You do not have time to pass - and bikes must turn left from the left most lane...

I know it'll fade as I keep biking and have more and more positive interactions with drivers... but any advice for letting it slide?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
It's probably a little different for all of us, but for me just telling people the story and relaying my frustration helps a lot. I often feel better telling these things to non-biking friends, actually, because the conversation turns to sharing knowledge of cycling laws and safe cycling, which makes me feel better as a whole about cycling for transportation. Convos with cycling friends often turns into driver hater stories which isn't where I want my head.

ALL the negative interactions I've had with drivers in the past year have been due to driver ignorance of my rights and the law. None that were outright hostile just to be hostile. Which is super unfortunate-- that I've pissed somebody off to that extent by doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm having a hell of a time getting back into commuting after taking a week off in August and now that it's fully dark the whole route. I'm seriously thinking about unplugging my car battery. My brain at 430am can rationalize all sorts of lazy behaviors. I know once I start again it'll be habit in no time.

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
Ugh - had a rough week with drivers this week. It was really hard to get back on my bike today. One even yelled at me for not following the rules of the road after I made a left turn - I was too far left in his opinion, well duh! I was making a left turn in 3 houses... and going down a hill. You do not have time to pass - and bikes must turn left from the left most lane...

I know it'll fade as I keep biking and have more and more positive interactions with drivers... but any advice for letting it slide?

I find I have a crazy driver incident about once ever 6 months. I've had the exact same incident as you, several times. I'm not sure how drivers expect me to turn left from the right hand shoulder, but whatever.

I just chalk it up to the driver having a bad day and decided to take it out on some defenseless stranger on the road. I think of it as the equivalent as the dick person who has a bad day at work and then comes home and yells at their family. It's a dick move and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to encounter this person when they were in a mood.

My best advice is to keep cool and don't yell back at them. Don't get into a yelling match about who has the right of way. Escalating the situation with someone who's already angry and irrational just makes it worse.

If they're hanging around you and making you feel threatened the best thing I ever came up with was calling out their license plate#. I've been able to diffuse several scary incidents this way. You can actually see the lightbulb go off in the person's head as they realize, "Crap, I'm not anonymous! I'm going to get reported for road rage."

Calling out the plate# also helps me remember it for the cases where the driver's actions were so egregious that I report them to the police.

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »

I've always found pity to be a good response. When you understand that these poor bastards are stuck in their car, small explosions happening mere feet away from their body, while you are enjoying the fresh air, getting exercise, saving money, and having fun...well it's no wonder they are in a bad mood.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Thanks Guys!

I'm feeling better already :)

I totally lost my cool, I had baby on board and conflicts with drivers tend to make me angrier when that's the case. Not to mention the seemingly implicit change that goes on in our city around Labour day long weekend - bike season is done now, pack it up and get off 'my' roads.

Here's hoping the rest of week is better, we did really well with a daycare drop off and pickup yesterday in the rain, and my youngest has ridden on her own, a mile to preschool, twice so far. Not bad for a 4 year old - although this is a supreme effort in patience for whomever is riding with her ;)

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
Joining in! Wish I would've found this sooner, it definitely helps to motivate!

This month has been pretty dismal for me since I've needed to drive a vehicle quite a bit for corn harvest, but I'm trying to bike when I'm able. Except today.. I was too lazy to get up early enough. Lol

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
Yesterday, while riding home with a heavier than normal load in my bag, I finally figured out what's been causing the reoccurring pain in my hip/behind/lower back. I thought it was from skiing too hard last winter, but I think it's actually from biking with a too heavy courier bag.

This is excellent news because I can just put panniers on the bike instead of trying to rejig my hip/behind/lower back with those uncomfortable physio exercises I was assigned.

jordanread

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »
Yesterday, while riding home with a heavier than normal load in my bag, I finally figured out what's been causing the reoccurring pain in my hip/behind/lower back. I thought it was from skiing too hard last winter, but I think it's actually from biking with a too heavy courier bag.

This is excellent news because I can just put panniers on the bike instead of trying to rejig my hip/behind/lower back with those uncomfortable physio exercises I was assigned.

Yeah, that'll do it. That's why I invested in the stupidly expensive panniers that convert to a messenger. Changed my life.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 01:02:46 AM »
I am on a six week business trip to Italy and have not driven a car since August 27.   Riding to work by bike every day, plus weekend rides to Lago di Garda. 

I hope to keep it up on my return, although I have 3 km one way now compared to 19 km at home.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:50 AM »

Ride fast. Take chances.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Any tips for a beginner working up to ride 18 miles in one trip? Possibly twice in a day if I ever get to that level. It will be a huge time sink since driving only takes me 17-20 minutes, but I need to get in shape.

The most I've ridden in one day is about 11 miles broken up over an hour or so and I wasn't destroyed so I think I could do 18 without too much trouble, but I also don't want to get stuck halfway and not make it to work/home from fatigue.

Highest climb according to Google maps is up 413 ft. I have a hybrid bike which is only one year old so definitely not buying a road bike (yet). I have lights, a vest, etc. I don't really need to carry anything with me since I can leave my laptop and such at work.

Also tips for riding through not the best neighborhoods at night? How often do people (well, specifically women) on bikes get assaulted? My pool team threw a fit because I moved to a new area and was riding home past 10pm. I may be able to take a longer route to stay on more of the main roads though.

jordanread

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
The new challenge is up! Link is here.