Author Topic: September Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 4521 times)

jordanread

September Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:53:32 AM »
The cycling challenge for September is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

jordanread

Re: September Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:59:54 AM »
Team, all the history from the last year has been reimported, so anything more than a month back (on your history column...the red/green one) may have changed if you went back and modified mileage. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »
I'm in... will be racking up miles shortly.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
I'm biking or walking to work every day, so far today it's 5 miles, but that's only because we're house sitting for a friend, which added 2.8 miles to my commute.

The Viking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
This is my second year as a biker and this winter i will go the entire winter on my bike! I made it to the beginning of december last year when a flat tire was my excuse to quit. This year I have been biking since spring but from now on I´m planing on also logging my miles with the rest of this wonderful community, the will to succeed tend to get stronger when I know someone with similar goals are keeping an eye on me.
Winters around here (middle of Sweden) is mostly a few degrees below zero degrees celsius so below 32 degrees Fahrenheit for everyone on the other side of the Atlantic. At most it gets down to -20* centigrade (-4* Fahrenheit)
I have a 42km (26 miles) roundtrip to work but it is mostly on an old abandoned railroad that has recently been remade into a wonderful paved bikelane, its fairly flat, quiet and usually I notice more wildlife then cars.
Good luck to you all

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:38:41 PM »
I'm back to biking again this month. As in past years, my bike mileage drops off during the summer when I have to drive the kids to their various summer camps. They started school again today and I was thrilled to see them off to the bus and then bike to work.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
Hi cyclers! I am going to be buying bike shorts tomorrow for the first time. Women's bike shorts, since I am a lady female. What's a reasonable price to look for? I'm going to start at a local, family-owned, lady-bike shop, and I'm a little scared that I'm gonna pay a hundred bucks for some nylon sausage shortpants.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
Hi cyclers! I am going to be buying bike shorts tomorrow for the first time. Women's bike shorts, since I am a lady female. What's a reasonable price to look for? I'm going to start at a local, family-owned, lady-bike shop, and I'm a little scared that I'm gonna pay a hundred bucks for some nylon sausage shortpants.
Should be able to pick up a good pair for $20 to $30. I usually get Nashbar.com shorts for about $20, very happy with them.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »
Should be able to pick up a good pair for $20 to $30. I usually get Nashbar.com shorts for about $20, very happy with them.

Thanks F. Stickman!

jordanread

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 06:12:33 AM »

Thanks F. Stickman!

You know, I keep forgetting about nashbar, which is odd, since it's an awesome site.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
I'm in.

This is my second year as a biker and this winter i will go the entire winter on my bike! I made it to the beginning of december last year when a flat tire was my excuse to quit. This year I have been biking since spring but from now on I´m planing on also logging my miles with the rest of this wonderful community, the will to succeed tend to get stronger when I know someone with similar goals are keeping an eye on me.
Winters around here (middle of Sweden) is mostly a few degrees below zero degrees celsius so below 32 degrees Fahrenheit for everyone on the other side of the Atlantic. At most it gets down to -20* centigrade (-4* Fahrenheit)

Viking, I'm impressed. Do you do anything special for your bike in the winter so you can bike on snow/ice safely? This year is my first time living in a snowy place and I'm having a hard time imagining biking on snow packed roads.

The Viking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
Thank you Landlady!
I go with studded tires, they increase the resistance a little but It´s better to be safe than sorry. I´m also trying to make myself as visible as possible as a biker is not as common in wintertime as in the summer, a fluorescent west, a rearlight on the bike and another one blinking on my helmet. A friend of mine drove past me in her car when I was the only one on the road ahead, she claimed that i looked like a rolling disco. Visibility-goal accomplished!
I only have one front light but that is usually enough since most of my focus goes to whats in front of me anyway. Always wear a helmet. Always.
Last winter (my first on a bike) the snow was only a few inches deep at most. The slush that thawed during the day to freeze at night was the hardest, just smooth snow or ice is ok. You will probably "crash" on one occasion or the other, I did and probably will again, but the snow, studded tires, lower pace and the fact that you wear more clothing in wintertime, helps to keep down the bruises to a minimum. What does that matter when you've got snow making that snowy sound under your bike and a gazillion stars above?

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

Thanks F. Stickman!

I'd avoid the cheapest padded shorts Nashbar sells. The last pair I bought from them the "padding" was about as flexible as cardboard. In fact, the back of the padding would actually catch on the nose of my saddle when I tried to sit on the seat. I ended up taking the pad out with a seam ripper and now I have some plain shorts.

I buy shorts from MEC.ca. REI is probably the best US equivalent. I pay $60 for my sausage short pants.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »

Thanks F. Stickman!

I'd avoid the cheapest padded shorts Nashbar sells. The last pair I bought from them the "padding" was about as flexible as cardboard. In fact, the back of the padding would actually catch on the nose of my saddle when I tried to sit on the seat. I ended up taking the pad out with a seam ripper and now I have some plain shorts.

I buy shorts from MEC.ca. REI is probably the best US equivalent. I pay $60 for my sausage short pants.

Thanks! A few people on my journal agreed that Pearl Izumi is the way to go. I'm going to REI this weekend to check it out.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
Brag: This challenge motivated me to bike to my meeting today. It was cold and smoky from nearby controlled forest burns, but I did it because I wanted to see my mileage increase. Cheers!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »
Main bike is in the shop, completely wore out the big chain ring, chain, and rear cassette.  Stupid procrastination resulted in not changing the chain for about 3 years after I should have...

Backup bike took a couple hours to get alive again after 5 years of sitting, then proceeded to break a spoke on the way home yesterday.  Wife is sick so I wasn't able to easily get away and get a replacement spoke.

Not sure if I should feel badass that I wore out 2 bikes and had to drive, or like a failure for being a lazy bum today.  Maybe I should run the 7.5 miles home to make up for it?

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »
Lol. It's pretty bad ass IMHO

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
I just bought a bike late July and started biking to work late August. This week will hopefully be the first full 5 day workweek that I biked to work, assuming no freak weather tomorrow. It's 15 miles round trip, so I figure I'm saving ~$40 a week by biking (using the US gov't mileage reimbursement rate). Plus I cancelled my yoga membership so that's another $120 a month savings. I will pay this bike off in no time!

Also it's just way more fun... I caught an absolutely brilliant sunrise this morning while crossing a bridge over a highway. I wanted to stop to take a photo but figured that wasn't the safest maneuver. I'm sure there will be many more :)

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
I just bought a bike late July and started biking to work late August. This week will hopefully be the first full 5 day workweek that I biked to work, assuming no freak weather tomorrow. It's 15 miles round trip, so I figure I'm saving ~$40 a week by biking (using the US gov't mileage reimbursement rate). Plus I cancelled my yoga membership so that's another $120 a month savings. I will pay this bike off in no time!

Also it's just way more fun... I caught an absolutely brilliant sunrise this morning while crossing a bridge over a highway. I wanted to stop to take a photo but figured that wasn't the safest maneuver. I'm sure there will be many more :)

Hell yeah there will be. Awesome ride!!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »

I have a different view.  I ride almost every day - between 20 and 30 miles RT.  The problem with the cheaper brands is that they just don't last.  I've tried a few pair in the $30 range and they all end up seam splitting or the nylon material starts to split.   At the advice of a friend I forked out, yes, $90 for a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts - and I've been riding them for 3 years now and they look and feel solid. 

If you are an occasional rider - go cheap.  If you use becomes regular I'd invest in something well made that will last you.

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »

I have a different view.  I ride almost every day - between 20 and 30 miles RT.  The problem with the cheaper brands is that they just don't last.  I've tried a few pair in the $30 range and they all end up seam splitting or the nylon material starts to split.   At the advice of a friend I forked out, yes, $90 for a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts - and I've been riding them for 3 years now and they look and feel solid. 

If you are an occasional rider - go cheap.  If you use becomes regular I'd invest in something well made that will last you.

I think MJ already decided on Pearl Izumi. But after this post, it makes me wonder. I know that PI stuff is pricey at LBSs, but I've always found them to be quite cheap, but very good. Have I just gotten lucky, and PI is pretty top of the line?

TrMama

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »

I think MJ already decided on Pearl Izumi. But after this post, it makes me wonder. I know that PI stuff is pricey at LBSs, but I've always found them to be quite cheap, but very good. Have I just gotten lucky, and PI is pretty top of the line?

Just about every brand carries shorts at a few different price/quality points. So it's entirely possible for the entry level version to be crap and the top of the line version to be great, even when made by the same brand.

I also don't use the absolute cheapest shorts anymore. Although it my case it's because I decided I like the nice plush padding found in a couple of the "not so cheap" brands. The pads in the cheapest shorts are thinner and tend to compact after not very many uses, which renders the pad useless. If I'm going to shell out the dough for padding my behind, it's going to be for the shorts that actually increase my comfort. So I ride in either nice padded shorts, or in cheap unpadded shorts.

Garneau makes nice bike gear too.

mathstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:16 PM »
Hey I joined the bike challenge. Hoping it's ok for an e-biker to be on this - it's only pedal assist no throttle. If your jealous of any of my numbers just remember I've got a 36 volt battery helping me out.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
I've been pretty silent here this month.  Somehow I didn't get onto this thread so I never saw it in my feed.  I've gone through a few pairs of cycling shorts, I go with bib shorts, and my favorite by far are my Capo custom racing kit.  Adequate padding, wicking, and very form fitting.  My alternate pair are Nashbar bib shorts.  I've tried a few pair from Nashbar and the biggest problem I have is that I can never find the same pair twice.  I have this awesome pair which I love for normal training so I can preserve my race kit, but they no longer make them.  I have another pair from Nashbar that doesn't seem to be quite as good, the padding is different, and the bib goes halfway to my chest.  Then I have a pair of bib thermals which I use for winter cycling which go down to my ankles.  These are comfortable too, but only useful when it's cold out all day.

Arm warmers are also really great to have, mine are also from Nashbar.  I find that sometimes it begins to fall down from the top, but for the most part stays in place.  Great to have especially during that transition period where it's a little cold in the morning but you get hot part way into your ride and you don't quite need a jacket yet.  They are much easier to take off and store than a jacket is.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »
It looks like I'll log 175 miles for the month. This is my first month truly attempting to commute and actually keeping track, and I only was able to ride 11 out of 22 work days (plus one weekend for errands), so hopefully next month I am able to increase that amount!

I am finding that my efforts are being seriously impeded by rain... I think it's time to get some rain gear and get myself set up at work to have spare sets of clothes and probably a drying rack in the event of a torrential downpour.

I love riding and got in one full 5-day week commuting in September, and after that I've only ridden ~2 times per week, mostly due to weather. So far I've gotten by with my limited amount of workout clothes that I already had on hand and an old backpack, but it might be time to drop some cash on some quality gear that will last and will make precipitation a non issue. My mom has been cycling as her main form of transportation for over 5 years, so thankfully she has some great recommendations, as I wouldn't really know where to start.

Bring on October!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »
Well, for the first time in ...3? years, spouse and I started biking to work!

It's 9.8 miles one-way. We each bike one way because our offices are a block apart (we have a bike rack).

We started last week, 2x a week (life too crazy for more than that with the kids).

As a result, I biked home yesterday in 100!!! degree weather.  (Well, I think it was only 97 degrees).  56 minutes.  I was thirsty when I got home.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:36 AM »
Omg, I don't think it ever gets that hot here, I can't imagine! Especially not this late in the season! We have had some just above freezing rainy days, and the forecast is calling for that s-word next week... Almost all of the leaves are down..

I am so proud of my biking this month, we did tons of errands on bike, and I have consistently done preschool drop off and pick up on the bike. It helps that my eldest has moved out of the bike seat and on to the cushion on our cargo bike, and my 8 month old is bike enough for the rear bike seat - so I can easily take both of them on short trips.

I feel like I am finally back in shape :), we will see how much I can do throughout the winter (I know too early for most of you to even think about it yet sigh!)

TrMama

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
Woo Hoo! Almost all my squares are green. Turns out, when you bike to work regularly, the miles rack up quickly. My goal for the month was to hit 200mi (which is like 350km!).

Goal unlocked!

jordanread

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
Woo Hoo! Almost all my squares are green. Turns out, when you bike to work regularly, the miles rack up quickly. My goal for the month was to hit 200mi (which is like 350km!).

Goal unlocked!
Outstanding! Glad people are liking that column now.

TrMama

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »

Goal unlocked!

I only like the squares when they're green. When I can't make them change from red to green, I curse them.

jordanread

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »

Goal unlocked!

I only like the squares when they're green. When I can't make them change from red to green, I curse them.
That all also makes me happy for some reason. I feel the same, though.

TrMama

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

Goal unlocked!

That all also makes me happy for some reason. I feel the same, though.

Also, I realized today that the more often I make most of the squares green, the harder it will be to make them green in future months. It's like the opposite of compound interest.

I'm within 3.5 miles of making another square green. But if I do, it will just make next month harder.

Clearly, I have more important problems to solve today and I'm procrastinating.

jordanread

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
New challenge is up!! October 2016

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!