Author Topic: September Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 19839 times)

jordanread

September Cycling Challenge 2014
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
After a stupid delay because I waited too long to finish this, the new sheet is up.

Fill out the form HERE and your tab and information will be added to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Gbs3OtSLfz6AYKMD9IrR9nmFQ4yBP49-TvPELhUKr4/edit?usp=sharing.

There are a few new options that you may enjoy. You can now choose to separate out your recreational rides and the rides in which you replace a car. You can also track miles driven, and you can track bike expenses.

In the form, there is a question about charts. The charts aren't fully implemented yet, but if you want them, or you want your historical data imported into your sheet, you need to click on "yes". Last but not least, if you select remember me, your tab will automatically be added each month with the options you select today.

I'm sorry the "Money Saved by not driving" thing isn't working yet, I just haven't figured out a good way to do it. I want to provide people the option of providing details about their car (mpg, maintenance/mile etc) or just use the average, and I wound up going down a rabbit hole. Hopefully next month.

On to the fun stuff. We had 49 people participate this month, and we averaged 168.7 Miles per participant. Over $1200 saved in gas (fun fact: with $1200, I could have bought my current car 3 times over), and 165,000 lbs of C02 that did not get put in the atmosphere. We didn't beat our record for most miles in a month, but this is the closest we've been since the record was set. We made 8266.51 miles this month.

Let's put it this way...if we took the entire distance we rode in just this month, pointed directly down, and went that far through the earth, we'd pretty much always come out the other side (unless you happen to be opposite a giant mountain). That's right folks!! We rode through the center of the earth (for those of you wondering, the equatorial diameter of the earth is ~ 7900 miles). As if that's not cool enough, assuming we had the right technology, that is more miles that it would take to go all the way around the moon. Man, we are friggin' awesome. As far as our per user average of 168.7 miles, that is enough distance to get out of earth's atmosphere 3 times over. That's also longer than the Annapurna Circuit, a popular trek through central Nepal.

Nancy

Re: September Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Love the stats, Jordanread! Sweet Earth traversing relay! Also, thank you (again) for the spreadsheet wizardry. You're the best.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
Wow, fancy sheet! I'm added. :D

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
Breaking from exercise to recover from a freak injury. My ankle has swollen up something fierce and it hurts to live. Ride on my compadres.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
This spreadsheet keeps getting better!  Thanks for working so hard on it, JordanRead!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »
I am in again... thrid month in a row, and this will be the first challenge month.  The weather is starting to get col(allready) and that is going to present it own chalanges...  But here we go!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
Added myself in. Happy cycling everyone!

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
There is no way I'm ready for any challenge. just picked up a bike (craigslist of course!), did a quick self service and check up - all looks good. then got on it and rode for about 3 miles. That's 3 miles more than I've riden in 4 years and those years weren't kind to me.

I'm gonna be finding muscle's for a few days now.

try to get out again tomorrow..... I have a 8 mile commute. once I can sort out shower facilities (I do live in fl after all) then you know the drill. Its not even about the money - I need to be fitter..

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
I'm in for the challenge this month!  Hopefully the new kevlar tires will keep me from getting flats this month.  =)

try to get out again tomorrow..... I have a 8 mile commute. once I can sort out shower facilities (I do live in fl after all) then you know the drill. Its not even about the money - I need to be fitter..

UnleashHell - I've got a 9 mile each way commute with no shower facilities and am in FL, too.  Feel free to ask any logistics questions if you want some tips since it seems we've got a pretty similar commute. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
I'm in for the challenge this month!  Hopefully the new kevlar tires will keep me from getting flats this month.  =)

Feel free to ask any logistics questions if you want some tips since it seems we've got a pretty similar commute.

can you carry me?

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for all the new hotness, Jordan!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »

Feel free to ask any logistics questions if you want some tips since it seems we've got a pretty similar commute.

can you carry me?

haha, I think it's thegoblinchief that's really good at lugging additional people (does 3 kids = 1 adult?) around in a bike trailer.  I don't think I could fit much more than cat in my bike basket.  =)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »
haha, I think it's thegoblinchief that's really good at lugging additional people (does 3 kids = 1 adult?) around in a bike trailer.  I don't think I could fit much more than cat in my bike basket.  =)

I've done up to 300 pounds, and that was for about 15 miles including some decent grades.

The most insane thing I did was hauling my kids (~200 pounds combined with the trailer) 58 miles last month, but it really was wearing on my body. I'm not going to do much of that at all this month.

TrMama

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
So apparently not biking at all in August wasn't great for my fitness. Between vacation and driving to work because driving the kids to/from summer day camp I didn't even touch my bike. I'm back in the saddle and hurting. Who knew I was using my back and abs to pedal . . .

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
Hamstrings pull on the lower back when tight. I have to stretch them out every day.

Abs glue everything together, so to speak.

Good luck getting back up to shape :)

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
I'm back to work for the school yer so my rising numbers should be worth posting. Short commute, but I'm getting the grocery bike back in shape after a month off due to some maintenance needs, so that ought to add to my totals.

usmarine1975

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
This is my favorite challenge to date.  And what helped me get out of the clown car mindset.  My co worker was astonished that I rode to work today.  "you know it's certainly going to rain today"  My response was simply I won't melt.  I am getting much better at the ride to and from.  My speed has somewhat stabilized just over 4 minute/mile give or take depending on the hills etc...

Yesterday was quite hot so I was wet from sweat and today being just as hot the rain will be a welcome cool down as long as it doesn't have the wind and or lightning.

And as of this morning just about 15 lbs off my total body weight.  I have changed my diet a little as well but the biking has certainly helped.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
This is my favorite challenge to date.  And what helped me get out of the clown car mindset.  My co worker was astonished that I rode to work today.  "you know it's certainly going to rain today"  My response was simply I won't melt.  I am getting much better at the ride to and from.  My speed has somewhat stabilized just over 4 minute/mile give or take depending on the hills etc...

Yesterday was quite hot so I was wet from sweat and today being just as hot the rain will be a welcome cool down as long as it doesn't have the wind and or lightning.

And as of this morning just about 15 lbs off my total body weight.  I have changed my diet a little as well but the biking has certainly helped.

Congrats!  That's awesome!

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
I'm about to make everyone look bad by keeping numbers low this month. I took quite a spill that has lead to a pretty massive shoulder injury. Thankfully it was just me and not the baby too. I think it will take about two weeks to heal, but its not broken, so I should be back in the saddle before the end of the month.

Watch out for sand (or the inability to balance on a bicycle despite riding for the last 19 years?), and happy riding everyone.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
Hope you heal up okay!

Sand or very fine gravel is almost as bad as ice if it's deep enough.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
Hope you heal up okay!

Sand or very fine gravel is almost as bad as ice if it's deep enough.

+1

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:58 AM »
Thanks everyone, the healing is going well (actually much better than I thought it would). Tomorrow I am planning to bike to the bus stop (approx 1 mile) to see how it goes.

Interesting thoughts on the sand/gravel being as slippery as ice. I will know to be a lot more cautious when I bike by the super sandy/dusty construction sites.

TrMama

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
Oh no! I hope you heal fast. Take it easy in the meantime so you don't re-injure the shoulder. Massage is also good for helping unlock any whiplash damage. Ask me how I know . . .

Yes, sand, gravel or pretty much anything on the road other than dry pavement is super slippery. Slow down everyone and don't lean into the corners.

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Ouch!  Heal up quick, Hannah!  Everyone take care out there this month (and every other month, too).

In other news, I finally decided to stop just being prying eyes, and throw my hat into the ring.  Bring it, September!

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
Ouch!  Heal up quick, Hannah!  Everyone take care out there this month (and every other month, too).

In other news, I finally decided to stop just being prying eyes, and throw my hat into the ring.  Bring it, September!

Glad to have you here!

We might have a few more people (don't know if you are one) joining in this month as I had a few conversations about it at MMMs meetup on Saturday. I did get my SPDs dialed in yesterday, so I officially own my first pair of non-vibram shoes. They are nice though. We'll see how my miles do this month (lots of travel for work unfortunately). Also, going to put the Power Grips on the SOs bike, and if she likes them, I foresee a lot more rec rides this month too.

Stay awesome everyone!!

usmarine1975

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
Hoping to Break 200 miles this month.  Not sure if it will happen our 2nd baby was due yesterday but has yet to arrive.  So depending when and how fast, and how my wife's recovery goes I may or may not break the 200 mile mark.  I am still a newbie but this newbie welcomes any newbies.  This has been a great challenge for me.

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
Hoping to Break 200 miles this month.  Not sure if it will happen our 2nd baby was due yesterday but has yet to arrive.  So depending when and how fast, and how my wife's recovery goes I may or may not break the 200 mile mark.  I am still a newbie but this newbie welcomes any newbies.  This has been a great challenge for me.

And we're glad to have you. I must say, when you explained a baby was coming, and that it would effect your miles, I completely pictured your SO in a bike trailer with labor pains, yelling that you did this to her, and you pedaling your ass off to get her to the hospital. :) My first thought was to ask how far away the hospital was. :-)

Congrats on the (soon-to-be) new arrival!!

usmarine1975

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
Hospital is totally within bike range about 4 miles but my wife is having the baby at home so no extra miles for that.  My co worker has been surprised that I have continued to ride my bike to work.  If I get the call I have to ride my bike home.  Normally only takes an extra 10 or 15 minutes compared to the clown car commute.  21 red lights in a 7 mile stretch.  I imagine with my wife in labor I might actually get my best time riding home yet.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
ugh - I have bailed from my commute this week, I am as of yet unprepared for the winter, and we had several cm of snow yesterday with another 10-15 expected today... I was expecting to have a few more weeks to adjust to riding in the dark and research what I needed to try bike commuting into the winter. As of yet I have 700x32 tires on, and they look pretty slick. On the bright side snow this early can't last long, and I should get out when the weather warms up next week. Although from reading the local bike commuter forum there was minimal ice and snow buildup on the roads and paths - the actual hazard was fallen and/or droopy branches from the heavy wet snow on trees with leaves still on them! There goes our fall colours - I'll be surprised if any leaves survive the next few days.

I hope winter holds out much longer for the rest of you!

TrMama

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »
Anyone have any advice on how to not break your chain? This seems to be an annual occurrence for me and DH is not happy when I call him to come get me en route. It wasn't stretched out (or at least only barely) and I know it needs to be kept clean. Yesterday's break seemed to come out of nowhere. Although I was pedaling hard up a steep hill.

On related note, I learned that my fancy pants road bike will  actually coast uphill for quite a ways before I have to get off and walk . . .

jordanread

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 12:45:38 PM »
Anyone have any advice on how to not break your chain? This seems to be an annual occurrence for me and DH is not happy when I call him to come get me en route. It wasn't stretched out (or at least only barely) and I know it needs to be kept clean. Yesterday's break seemed to come out of nowhere. Although I was pedaling hard up a steep hill.

On related note, I learned that my fancy pants road bike will  actually coast uphill for quite a ways before I have to get off and walk . . .

I've only had this happen under two different occasions. The first is if I didn't take care of it and it starts rusting out. The second is if I screw up my gearing and shift under pressure. Does it just happen when riding, or are you pushing hard?

Also, there was some stuff about chain lubrication towards the end of last months thread that might be helpful.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
Keep a chain link tool in your kit just in case. I've broken one chain, I just removed the remainder of the link to get two matching ends and reattached. Reattachment via link pin takes a bit of getting used to, so it may be easier to additionally carry a spare master link.

These add negligible weight and volume.

Pat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:20 AM »
Good job on the spreadsheet, and pretty cool idea! There is also a National Bike Challenge each year https://nationalbikechallenge.org/
It's a little late to start this year, as it only goes until the end of September, but is also pretty motivating as you can join a team based on your geographic location or workplace. I find the team challenge to be motivating, as I don't want to be 'dead weight' on my team, and typically make it a goal to be 'in the top ten' of my team, so not only do we compete as a team, but many of us compete with each other (our own teammates) as well.
I have come to enjoy bicycle-commuting and even running errands locally on the bicycle ...especially when there's traffic and I just cruise on by. While it typically takes me ~15min longer each way to commute by bicycle vs car or motorcycle, I found that some of the local errands are quicker by bicycle due to traffic/parking/trails/shortcuts/etc.
BTW, The other day I heard some people talking about 22 Sept being "car-free day," so thought I'd throw that out there, even though I'm likely 'preaching to the choir' in this forum.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »
So excited to be able to join you all this month!  I just moved states, so I deliberately found an apartment I could bike to work from.  Downside is that I have to walk down the stairs with my fully loaded bike, on road shoes.  One of these days I'm going to take the fast way down, I can tell.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the challenge & spreadsheet, 'cause it really does help with motivation.  Not enough to get me to bike today (flash flooding!) but on normal morning, definitely.

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
So excited to be able to join you all this month!  I just moved states, so I deliberately found an apartment I could bike to work from.  Downside is that I have to walk down the stairs with my fully loaded bike, on road shoes.  One of these days I'm going to take the fast way down, I can tell.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the challenge & spreadsheet, 'cause it really does help with motivation.  Not enough to get me to bike today (flash flooding!) but on normal morning, definitely.

Well then, I'll obviously have to make it even more motivating if a little flash flooding will stop you. :P

Just kidding. Glad to have you on board. As far as the fast way down, who knows, it might be awesome (assuming you mean just riding down, and not falling). Next month, I'm thinking about having people take a picture of their most badass moment of the month now that winter is coming. That should be some good motivation!!

usmarine1975

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
I didn't ride today for 3 reasons. 

80 % chance of Thunder storms.  I have no problem riding in the rain.  Not really wanting to ride with lightning etc...

Need to put a better seat on my new used bike.  The current seat is like riding on a metal bar.

I have to admit I slept in a little this morning and wouldn't have had enough time to be on time.

I guess I should have just sucked it up but I almost walked a portion yesterday because of the seat.  I stayed on the bike but I really debated walking.

TrMama

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
Keep a chain link tool in your kit just in case. I've broken one chain, I just removed the remainder of the link to get two matching ends and reattached. Reattachment via link pin takes a bit of getting used to, so it may be easier to additionally carry a spare master link.

These add negligible weight and volume.

Carrying a spare master link is an excellent idea! Thanks.

I'm back in the saddle today, after accidentally buying a 9-speed replacement chain for my 10-speed rear cassette. Needed an extra day to exchange for the correct chain type.

Additionally I learned that the price difference between 9-speed cassettes and chains and 10-speeds is huge. When the current cassette wears out I will not replace it with another 10-speed but will switch it for a 9 or 8-speed.

jordanread

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I didn't ride today for 3 reasons. 

80 % chance of Thunder storms.  I have no problem riding in the rain.  Not really wanting to ride with lightning etc...

Need to put a better seat on my new used bike.  The current seat is like riding on a metal bar.

I have to admit I slept in a little this morning and wouldn't have had enough time to be on time.

I guess I should have just sucked it up but I almost walked a portion yesterday because of the seat.  I stayed on the bike but I really debated walking.

Yeah, I didn't ride in today, either. I am really looking forward to taking the new SPDs out for a much longer ride, but the travel up to Denver with the bike stuffed into the back seat really messed up...well, everything. I have to adjust the brakes, retrue the wheels, etc. I'm going to try to get it done this afternoon, so I can ride in tomorrow. Let's hope.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »

I fell down the stairs once for this exact reason (well, really slipped and then slid all the way down on my butt).

What I started doing is going down the stairs barefoot and put socks and shoes on at the bottom.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

I fell down the stairs once for this exact reason (well, really slipped and then slid all the way down on my butt).

What I started doing is going down the stairs barefoot and put socks and shoes on at the bottom.

It's only about 5-6 steps, but the thing is, the landings are not big enough to put the bike on in order to open either my apartment door or the building door.  Inevitably, I'm perched someplace awkward, balancing the bike (with rack & bags) on the stairs, which trying to either unlock a door or keep the door from closing on my rear wheel.  If riding to work wasn't so awesome, it'd be enough to make me think twice.

I like the suggestion about getting down the stairs without the shoes on.  I'll have to think about if that would work for me.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
Can you prop the doors open, carry bike down, then go back and lock up?

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
Can you prop the doors open, carry bike down, then go back and lock up?

No, I have 2 cats that would make a break for it, and the building door has a rather powerful door closer, with no way to prop it open.  (It would have been much appreciated while moving, for sure.)

It's not as bad as it sounds, I guess, since I'm still willing to do it.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Well, so far here in MN we have gone from about 90 degrees F and super-humid-sweat-gushing to something a bit above 40 degrees F at 6:00am this morning. For the first time in a while I was actually a bit cold! In a few months though, I know 40 will feel balmy if the temp even gets that high. Looking forward to re-acclimating to the cold. Not looking forward to snow & ice on the roads and the resulting longer commute times.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
Well, so far here in MN we have gone from about 90 degrees F and super-humid-sweat-gushing to something a bit above 40 degrees F at 6:00am this morning. For the first time in a while I was actually a bit cold! In a few months though, I know 40 will feel balmy if the temp even gets that high. Looking forward to re-acclimating to the cold. Not looking forward to snow & ice on the roads and the resulting longer commute times.

Yeah, we went from 80 to 45 overnight the previous night. The kids actually adjusted pretty well! We've biked 10 miles the past two days. Last year we biked down to about 20F. Already starting to research balaclavas for them for this season :)

But it does take some remembering to plan out layers. And I broke out my shell for wind, not rain for once.

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »

Yeah, we went from 80 to 45 overnight the previous night. The kids actually adjusted pretty well! We've biked 10 miles the past two days. Last year we biked down to about 20F. Already starting to research balaclavas for them for this season :)

But it does take some remembering to plan out layers. And I broke out my shell for wind, not rain for once.

Oh yeah. Snow on the foothills this morning. Next week is going to be awesome.

jordanread

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
Oh yeah. Specialized, one of my favorite bike companies, now has a wind tunnel. They accidentally ran a test regarding leg hair and aerodynamics...and found out that everything they thought they knew was wrong.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/the-curious-case-of-the-cyclists-unshaved-legs/article20370814/

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »

Yea, last year we did about down until 20F as well. We had a little circular scrunchie-style scarf lying around, and that + hat/gloves/coat/snowpants/boots did it. My little one starts complaining if it's anything below 70F though. It was 50F and he was demanding his scarf (already wearing hat/mittens/jacket). Those pesky little goblins... :)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »
Ha, we're getting a better autumn than we had a summer.  (For reference, it was the rainiest summer on record up here.)  It's finally gorgeous and sunny.  It's been in the 60's during the day, so tank top and shorts weather for us.

For motivation, or whatever, here's what it looked like yesterday and why I decided to go for a 15 mile ride just for fun.  I hope you all get such lovely weather as well!  Happy autumn.

jordanread

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
Love the pic SisterX!! It's those kinds of things that one misses while driving.

I had a fun biking related experience yesterday/today. So I was getting my bike ready (since I broke it shoving it into the back of my tiny car), and my GF wanted to try the PowerGrips, so I started switching about parts, since she has cruiser pedals, which don't have the mount points I needed. So I grabbed the wal-mart bike my GF had originally, switched out the pedals, and got them mounted. All well and good. Then I looked at the shot walmart bike, and had an idea. I stripped off the wheels, since they were in good shape, and was left with a fully functional full-suspension heavy-as-hell frame. I knew we weren't going to ever use it again. I vaguely remembered this completely off his rock nuts guy who used to run a bike charity thing, and I got a bike from him when I was 15 (14 years ago!!!!). I knew that place was gone, so I Googled about, and found something similar. I called to arrange a drop off, and guess what? This guys partner was the same crazy guy I knew before. How awesome is that? Circle of life kind of thing. It just made me feel good, and thought I'd share.

Nancy

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2014, 06:33:25 AM »
Awesome, Jordanread! Glad to hear the guy is still fixing up bikes for charitable purposes. That totally rocks. Maybe someday that'll be you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!