Author Topic: Sell $10,000 of stuff on Craigslist without hawking a car  (Read 11098 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Sell $10,000 of stuff on Craigslist without hawking a car
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
I'm looking to buy a small outparcel of real estate for $10,000. It's not going anywhere (long story) so not a huge sense of urgency. Instead of tapping into savings and investments, I've decided to raise the funds via stuff sold on Craigslist by July 4. I started a month ago:

$1,600 - sports memorabilia collection (sold)
$150 - leather jacket (sold)
$75 - exercise equipment (sold)
$1,500-$2,000 (triathlon bike -- soon to be for sale)
$800 (exercise equipment -- was $5,000 new, though I received it free -- soon to be for sale)
$2,500 - more sports memorabilia -- soon to be for sale.

Should be able to find some more stuff around the house.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Sell $10,000 of stuff on Craigslist without hawking a car
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
I don't feel like I own enough stuff to do this, but I'd like to try! At least I could get to 5k. I'm going to count the things I've sold already this year (technically kijiji, not craigslist).

Off the top of my head (will double check when I get home):
$1600 exercise equipment
$50 heart rate monitor
$20 bookshelf
$20 tent
$40 snowboard boots
$60 gaming mouse

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:40:48 AM »
Great challenge! Like Cookie78, i'm pretty sure I dont have $10k worth of stuff to get rid of.  I'm down for a challenge though!  I think I could sell $2,000 by the end of July on Craigslist.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 05:56:18 AM »
What kind of sports memorabilia are you selling?  I have a ton of baseball cards, but it is from the 80s and 90s where it started to get just mass produced.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
That is awesome!  I wonder what the average value of stuff that's sitting unused in the typical American household is worth. 

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:22 AM »
So far Craigslist has been a PIMA.  I posted some items on there yesterday and i've gotten plenty of messages for (all hours of the night). However, they are all the "Whats your lowest, I will pay $100 more to secure the package and have you ship it to my son or pastor or whomever overseas" blah blah blah.  I might have to resort to eBay on some of these electronic items, even though I hate shipping.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
That is awesome!  I wonder what the average value of stuff that's sitting unused in the typical American household is worth.

God Almighty, we have some 2 hundred boxes full of stuff stashed away in our basement and a huge metal outbuilding.  Plus furniture and other things.  I really should get in on this challenge, although I would not shoot for 10 grand.  I'd be happy to generate a couple of thousand dollars, as long as I could get rid of 30 or 40 boxes.

Now all I have to do is to get started on the first box.  Oh, boy...

Nannooskeeska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »
While not as extreme as some of you guys, my roommates and I still have a big closet packed with boxes of stuff, mostly pots and pans. One of my goals for the summer is to clean out that closet and sell or give away as much of the stuff as we can.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
Wow - retired to win!  Maybe you should just offer it all to an auctioneer or estate sale company.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Can someone provide pointers for selling on CL?

I usually give what I consider junk away on the free page, or at the curb, because I just can't picture myself buying a 18 year old leather recliner that I know was my cats favourite chair for ten years.  To the curb with a free sign and it's gone in an hour. 

Now my wife has a garbage bag of high heeled shoes she's barely worn. Plan is to donate them, but I see CL has similar shoes for $5-$20.  Do people actually buy these?  Sure, likely at $5 they probably will eventually selll, but that's hardly worth my time. 

FurtherJourneys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
In my experience Craigslist is more successful for bigger ticket items. When I want to sell something smaller (like a pair of shoes) I post on my local online garage sale Facebook page. I imagine most communities have a similar Facebook "garage sale" or "rummage sale" page. Since your wife has a lot of shoes you could also try posting them as a lot on Craigslist. I also find that good quality pictures are essential. Good luck!

I will join this challenge with the goal of selling $250 worth of stuff by the end of the summer. We have a couple of furniture items that are just waiting to be put up on Craigslist and I have a lot of room for decluttering kitchen supplies and home goods. Not even close to $10,000 but every little bit counts!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
Wow, LiveLearn what an inspiration! You have good motivation. I do not have good motivation right now since on my a few items have accumulated since the last clean up.

I will throw my hat in the ring with y'all. I have a bike and a shop vac left on the back patio, plus an owners manual for a BMW. The goal is to clean and list the bike by Wed, the other two items by Fri.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »
I've probably sold at least $10,000 worth of stuff in the last year. I'm guesstimating $1,500 from garage sales, $5,000 worth of lumber (over-accumulated from my woodworking hobby, mostly sold on Craigslist), $2000 worth of tools (mostly sold on eBay), and at least another grand or two of random household items and items that I bought specifically to re-sell (mostly on eBay).

Unfortunately I don't track it very well, and it just goes straight into my general funds. That's a great goal, though, and the extra space is icing on the cake!

Panchos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
I buy and sell things in waves on Craigslist as I either get sick of low balling people or people low balling me. Generally, I will browse the free section to see if anything is worth while. I typically look for kids toys (slides, play sets, etc), workout equipment, etc. I also will buy stuff in the video gaming as a package and part it out. I typically buy the stuff pretty cheap and then resell. I shoot for at least a $50 profit on every purchase. I will also buy stuff from sporting goods and baby stuff shooting for $50 profit. In addition to that, I like to browse garage sales and find stuff to flip. On Friday, I bought a leather gun holster, grill set, two pairs of skis with boots, goggles, and poles, slalom ski, and a deer blind for $88. I also picked up a kids wagon, kids slide, and kitchenette from the free section. I hope to sell all this for at least a $300 profit. Items that I've found that sell well for me are kids items (strollers, slides, play sets), video game systems, and sporting goods (especially considering you can usually get a steal; especially in the off season).

Pointers for Craigslist, always start low. Have a limit as to how much you're going to spend (this will depend on your profit margin). Look at comparables of what you're buying to verify whether or not it's a good buy. I typically look at what they're selling for on Craigslist or priced new at Walmart and then list mine for half that being that I generally buy used items. Also, if you can buy package deals and then separate the items, you can probably make a better profit than reselling it as a package. Take good pictures and write a good description. Respond quickly to any adds (this is probably the most important of them all whether buying or selling). Meet in a safe public place and again, meet them immediately if they are willing to buy at your asking price. Use Craigslist to find garage sales in your area and hit a bunch of them up. Hopefully you'll find some decent items and make it worth your time/gas (often times people are selling junk, but you do find some treasures). Lastly, I prefer Craigslist over Ebay due to the fees that Ebay charges for using their services.

mountainjillian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
Wow - I definitely don't have even close to $10,000 worth of stuff to sell, but this inspired me to take a mental inventory of what I could sell on Craigslist and I was surprised to think of $550 worth of stuff I can unload so I will try and put whatever I make toward our highest interest student loan (at 6.8% interest... ouch)!  I've got:

- Bike Trailer $60 SOLD
- Extra Cabinets $75
- Shitty Snowboard $25
- Awesome Snowboard w/Boots, Bindings and Helmet $250
- Sleeping Bag $25
- Weights Set (pending Hubs' approval since he never uses it but it belongs to him) $50
- Tiered Dessert Serving Dish $10
- Work Suits That I Will Never Fit Into Again $60 for pair

I'll let y'all know how I do...

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »
This is great!  We may have a move coming up, so we've been thinking of clearing things out.  I'm not sure we'll make it to $10k, but we'll certainly try!

Bike Rack (trailer hitch) - $80 (sold)
Mini fridge - $40 (sold)
Assorted electronics - $823 (sold)
Router - $100 (sold)
Comic books - $23 (sold)
Bike Rack (trunk) - $25 (sold)
Tablet - $130 (sold)
Bike Rack (Yakima Roof) - $70 (sold)
Batman video games - $5 (sold)
Optimus Slider Phone - $30 (sold)
Xbox 360 - $95 (sold)
Xbox original - $180 (sold)
Xbox games - $85 (sold)
Assorted knick knacks - $95 (sold)
Pedometer - $28 (sold)
Tailgate Liner - $30 (sold)
Textbooks - $203 (sold)
DVDs - $151 (sold)
Board Games - $50 (sold)
Ice Cream Maker - $30 (sold)
Kitchen Items - $113 (sold)
Workout Equipment - $174
Cut of sales for selling other people's stuff on eBay - $2,425

Total:  $4955
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:21:42 PM by AllieVaulter »

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
We're in! A potential move is on the horizon. i don't think we can manage $10K though...

Progress:

Wedding linens: $300 (paid $320!)
Wedding decor: $84 (paid $96!)
Gold chargers: $130 (paid $210)
TFal cooking set: $30 (paid $60)
IKEA chairs: $80 (paid $200)
Jessica Simpson heels: $15 net...damn shipping and eBay fees (paid $50)
Total: $639

I have some textbooks I need to offload to amazon, but ugh- I keep hitting trade in and then not making it to UPS in the time window. -__-;

Also going to attempt to sell off other furniture and electronics.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
OP here....I've plateaued at around $2,500 in sales. As others have mentioned, you get Craigslist fatigue after a while from all of the folks who contact and ask a million questions (always by text, even though everything is described in great detail with many photos) and then the folks who never have time to meet to consummate the deal (even though I have a flexible schedule and am willing to travel, within reason).

But my biggest pet peeve is those who won't take YES for an answer.

"You have it listed for $150, would you take $100?"
"Yes."
"Can I pick it up today?"
"Yes."
"Oh. I live (5-10 miles away). Could you meet me (X)?"
"Yes."
"How about in (one hour)?"
"Yes."
"Um, let me get back to you."

Last summer we had 24 days to completely furnish a weekly beach rental cottage that we bought off foreclosure that had been empty for three years. We scored big on Craigslist and were often on the other side of the conversation. But we showed up immediately.

I don't know who said it, but success in anything is mostly just showing up.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
Latest wrinkle on previous post -- not taking yes for an answer. Just did that entire dialogue again only to get....

"Okay, let me do some more research and I'll email you back."

Sure, pal.

FurtherJourneys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
We finally sold something last night after lots of people saying they would purchase an item and then not showing up or not making arrangements to do so. I think we may just end up doing a yard sale in a few weeks to try and move things out the door, I hate storing items that I know I no longer want or need!

Sold:
$30 baby carrier (paid $15 :))

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of work for $30. I only put stuff on CL is I think it will bring $50 minimum. Everything else goes to Goodwill. It's just not worth the hassle.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »
We've been chipping away at this and we finally broke $1k!  Ten percent there!  DH decided he was finally ready to part with his Xboxes, which is what ended up putting us over the top.  Full disclosure:  We're using both eBay and Craigslist to sell stuff. 

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
eBay certainly counts. I just don't have the patience for it anymore. CL is trying enough!

Laurel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
Oooh, I want in on this challenge! Mostly because I actually think I can participate well. And because I've accidentally become a flipper over the past few weeks and I'm dying to brag a little.

I'll be counting everything I've sold so far in 2015.

$850 RH dining table
$280 brass anchor (bought for $10 at a garage sale 2 weeks ago)
$220 rug (bought at Target for $50 5 days before I sold it)
$100 bench
$60 coffee table
$75 mudroom bench/hooks
$80 doilies/antique linens from my wedding
$100 bookcase
$30 nerdy board game
$40 P90X

Total so far: $1835

Though the house is getting a bit bare (had a garage sale last month too), so the challenge is only now REALLY beginning. If it's not nailed down...

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
We made short work of some of our duplicates and things we didn't need today! We're moving, so we're really trying to cut back on the stuff.

Umbrella & stand - $40 (paid $60)
TV - $80 (paid $400, 4 years ago....ouch.)
Kitchen table & chairs - $100
Total: $220
Running total: $760

It'll be  reach to try to cross the $1000 threshold though.

Speaking of CL annoyances, one guy insisted that he see the TV working before he bought it and tried to get us to give him our address so he could come see it. DH said no and sent him a video of it working that morning (plugged in, turned on). He wants to see it in person, so he insists we meet at his house. We drive ~8 miles over there, he takes it inside, he says - it doesn't work. You don't have the adapter/cable for me to plug it into the TV. OMG. That's because we don't own it, and we only connect to it with HDMI. He says, "See, this is why you should have let me come over, so I could see it working." We explain multiple times that the TV itself works and that what he needs can be bought for $3 on Amazon, and that coming over wouldn't have made a difference because we don't use it to watch TV...we use it to play stuff from the computer. Nope, he doesn't want the TV.

Beyond frustrating. DH learned his lesson on going out of his way for CL idiots.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
We have had good luck on Craigslist. I always ask more then I want so I have room to go down. I sell most things in a day or 2.  Small items I donate-just not worth the bother.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »

Laurel: I want to sell  doilies (macrame) , where is the best place to sell them?

Laurel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »

Laurel: I want to sell  doilies (macrame) , where is the best place to sell them?

Are you making them or selling vintage? Either way, I'd try Etsy, listing individual pieces or small lots. I can only get about $1 for each doily on Craigslist (I've sold about half of my stash and still have the other half listed and am not getting much interest). I think on Etsy you could get a better price because you'd photograph them better, add descriptions, etc. But then you have to deal with the hassle of shipping, so I guess it depends on how much work you want to put into it.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
We've run into a small snag including eBay money in this challenge.  While we were selling all our stuff, our friends found out and asked us to sell things for them.  We worked out a deal where we'd take a 20% cut of the sales for listing and packaging the items for them.  We actually made a significant amount of money doing this.  But, we're rapidly approaching eBay's $20k limit for a year's sales (before they report your sales to the IRS)!  So we're probably going to have to slow down the eBay sales.  At least until January.  :) 

Thanks for the inspiration to do this!  Even if w didn't make it to $10k, we've got a nice bundle of green employees to put to work now. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
anyone have any luck selling Hummels? I looked on ebay & it doesn't look like they are worth much. Ouch!  Collected them when I was young for awhile. I just punched myself in the face:))

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
anyone have any luck selling Hummels? I looked on ebay & it doesn't look like they are worth much. Ouch!  Collected them when I was young for awhile. I just punched myself in the face:))

I tried to sell one, the auction was won by somebody from South Korea, but he never paid.  The auction ended at like $2.  So my little hummel's on her way to Goodwill.  You may have better luck with a set though.  Have you searched "sold listings" for your hummel's number (on the bottom)?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:47:14 PM by AllieVaulter »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »
I have 20 but have been too lazy to look them all up yet. Some that I recognize are listed for 10 & no bids. I will do that. Thanks!  I noticed a few people are offering a bunch for 1 price. One person had 1400 of them.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
I'm trying out selling on ebay for the first time. So far I've got people watching/viewing since day 1, but no bids. And no new action three days later. Is that common? Is 7 days until auction too long? Or is there a flurry the hour before closing? I was really hoping for more back and forth bidding.

Suggestions?

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »
I'm trying out selling on ebay for the first time. So far I've got people watching/viewing since day 1, but no bids. And no new action three days later. Is that common? Is 7 days until auction too long? Or is there a flurry the hour before closing? I was really hoping for more back and forth bidding.

Suggestions?

Seasoned bidders will "snipe", which means bid at the very end of the auction to keep the price down.  Also, people watching doesn't necessarily mean they'll buy.  But just be patient and keep relisting, and eventually the right buyer will come along!

TIP: I don't start low (which may see more action, but could get you a bad price), I put the lowest I'd be willing to get and then I'm happy if I just get one bidder.  Also, always use eBay's shipping labels-- they're cheaper and easier!

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »
We have decided to sell all we own and go travelling in our camper trailer for a while. Since July when we decided that, we have sold $8200 worth of stuff. But not leaving for 6 months so plenty of time to go. Will have to sell the things we actually use (!) in the last month or so, like our beds, whiteware, some kitchen stuff, stereo and tv, desk etc. It has actually been a lot of fun so far. The cupboards are looking quite bare, and we have so much space in the rooms. Where furniture has gone, the room looks open and lighter. It is really liberating already and we have so much more to go.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
I just consigned some furniture and knick-knacks from a house we flipped. If it all sells, our cut will be about $800, which would make me happy.

g-money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »
Seasoned bidders will "snipe", which means bid at the very end of the auction to keep the price down.  Also, people watching doesn't necessarily mean they'll buy.  But just be patient and keep relisting, and eventually the right buyer will come along!

TIP: I don't start low (which may see more action, but could get you a bad price), I put the lowest I'd be willing to get and then I'm happy if I just get one bidder.  Also, always use eBay's shipping labels-- they're cheaper and easier!

It depends on what you sell. I usually sell Blu-rays and used to sell DVDs way back when (when you could get decent prices for them) and the one trick that seemed to always work was starting your items out at the lowest price. I list Blu-rays for .99 cents and leave them up for 7 days. I also offer free shipping (depending on weight and size I use first class mail and media mail) Shipping costs are offset by the final bidding price, because everyone likes free shipping and that's one less thing they have to worry about, so they may bid a little higher. Offering free shipping on an item that will potentially sell for a lot is a wash. Worst-case scenario, and it's rare, is that any item that sells low will count as a "loss leader" and one can never have too much positive feedback on eBay.   

As far as "snipers” go as long as they outbid each other during those last few minutes/seconds is fine with me. Feeding frenzies toward the end of an auction are quite fun especially if you're the one selling something.

g-money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
Oh, and for those that are on the fence about listing items on eBay - I recently started up again after a 10 year hiatus and I have to say that once you use the eBay APP through your SmartPhone you'll never list another item through your computer or laptop ever again. Um, unless you don't own a SmartPhone. It's extremely easy and efficient.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »

It depends on what you sell. I usually sell Blu-rays and used to sell DVDs way back when (when you could get decent prices for them) and the one trick that seemed to always work was starting your items out at the lowest price. I list Blu-rays for .99 cents and leave them up for 7 days. I also offer free shipping (depending on weight and size I use first class mail and media mail) Shipping costs are offset by the final bidding price, because everyone likes free shipping and that's one less thing they have to worry about, so they may bid a little higher. Offering free shipping on an item that will potentially sell for a lot is a wash. Worst-case scenario, and it's rare, is that any item that sells low will count as a "loss leader" and one can never have too much positive feedback on eBay.   

As far as "snipers” go as long as they outbid each other during those last few minutes/seconds is fine with me. Feeding frenzies toward the end of an auction are quite fun especially if you're the one selling something.

Oh yeah, definitely depends on what you're selling.  I was thinking more that if you wouldn't be happy with less than $20 that it wouldn't be wise to start at $1, because there's a chance (especially if you don't have feedback as a seller yet) that it'll sell for cheap.

Regarding snipers, just letting the new seller know that it's normal for all the action to happen at the end of the auction :)

Forgot to mention the most important advice: take good photos and give a detailed and honest description!

Laurel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Oooh, I want in on this challenge! Mostly because I actually think I can participate well. And because I've accidentally become a flipper over the past few weeks and I'm dying to brag a little.

Total so far: $1835

Though the house is getting a bit bare (had a garage sale last month too), so the challenge is only now REALLY beginning. If it's not nailed down...

Just sold some TOMS shoes (worn once for a wedding) for $25 and an $8 thrift store globe for $25, both on Craigslist.

New total: $1885. Slowed down a bit over the summer but am raring to go after these recent sales!