Author Topic: Savetember  (Read 48677 times)

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
Re: Savetember
« Reply #200 on: September 23, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
Our Savetember is going a bit differently than I expected it to.  We'll be saving more than usual this month, but not because we spent less.  We just made more money than normal.  Our food expenses are pretty low for the month ($167 for two people), but we also had some extraneous purchases (gifts, house guests, travel, etc) which bumped us up to a bit higher than normal.  But my husband picked up some odd jobs over the month and I picked up an overload at work.  So... success?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #201 on: September 23, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
Our Savetember isn't going so well.  Department funding got cut, so we lost about 40% of our income.  Looks like we'll still be in the black, but September certainly won't see the savings rate we've had recently.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that nereo.  I'm glad to hear that you're in the black this month, at least!

One week left of Savetember, and things look good here so far.  My spending looks to be $300 less than last month, and there's still fat to cut.
Based on MMM's definitions, I currently have a savings rate of 58% for the month.  That makes me pretty happy!
Plus this month I finally opened up a Roth IRA! And I have another pay period coming up! (Of course I still have to pay for rent.  I budget it a month in advance.)
Thank you, Savetember!

Nancy

« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
Nice, Tigerpine!

I am within all of my lowered budgets, and I had no unplanned spending. Huzzah! Even my Ting bill was lower this month, which was a surprise.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
Savetember changed into spendtember :( I´m sorry :(

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »

+1

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
So far this month:
At 99 for petrol (this is right on budget)
$ 245 for food - Plan was 250 for the month. This was harder than expexted. I ate a lot from pantry and freezer and still ended up making a lot of compromizes.
$ 36 for the catchall-cathegory of random things.
$ 25 for clothing (winter is here and I bought new thick tights and some socks)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2015, 06:46:29 AM »
Savetember has been a month of exciting conflict between frugal and spend at The House of mefla!

Obstacles and Money Challenges:
- $30: wedding gift
- $300: birthday
- $45: DW and DH work lunches
- $44: DW World Market (Items may go back today. Win!)
- $20: Me,  Amazon. Not planned. Efficiency benefit in October and onward - let's watch and see.
- $128: termite inspection. (Thanks forummm for creating this thread. Normally I would forget that annual cost...)

Successes: ($$ values are cash input or conservative estimates of savings)
- $40 Side Gig: Sold duck eggs
- $10 Side Gig: sold some homebrew
- $30 Savings: Killer breakfast and lunch omelets with duck eggs
- $100 Insourcing Savings: 2 synthetic oil changes, $26 each.
- $60 Savings Gasoline: GAS BUDDY has been a huge help. Auto fuel costs for Savetember WILL be UNDER $60, $125 budgeted.

Savings:
- $2000 for Roth IRA (8/31)
- $6000 to Home Mortgage Principal Reduction
- $2890 to 401k
- $2000 to restore emergency fund (Used for Roth IRA. Will do it again in October if equity bargains continue.)

(Not high compared to, say, http://www.millionaireeducator.com/our-story it's >50% of our monthly gross income.)

Remember:
Four more days left in SAVEtember, 10% of the 30 day month, so you can still make a big impact this month and set yourself up for success next month.  October is a three paycheck month for many of us. Equity markets are down so they are a bargain right now. Don't give up even if it's been "Setback September", If you can, increase your 401k equity buying now! Optimism and Badassity never go out of style! What have you done to make your SAVEtember even more successful?

(EDITS: Removed items that won't bear savings in SAVEtember. Improved accuracy of some $$ amounts. Trimmed up verbage.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:15:44 AM by mefla »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Well, my Savetember was going pretty well, until yesterday. Planned expense: DH and I went and had drinks with a friend. This was actually meant as a "savings" option, since it replaced the once this month we planned on going to a restaurant, and was much cheaper. But we were SPOT ON at the top of our grocery budget, and we ended up with 6 people (!!!) over last night, who of course we fed and gave drinks to. So now we're $25 above our budget, plus we went through food I thought would last the week, so we will have to make another trip this month still most likely. We're trying to turn it around though. DH is on board to try and "pantry/freezer shop" to try and avoid a trip.

I liked Mefla's format, so I'm going to use it.

Obstacles:
- Cars! We had a $77 title change fee, a $21 DEQ fee, and a $124 registration fee to pay. We also forgot the checkbook (doh!) so add another $3.50 for ATM charges. Also on this all day outing we got coffee, but luckily that money was still on our Starbucks app.
-High grocery cost month. Brother was home more, and has had friends over fairly often. It was also a stock-up month. We will probably end up at about $850/$800 budget.
-Bought Bota Boxes twice this month. Had planned on no alcohol purchases again this month.
-Parking fees. DH is back in classes, and now has to drive to campus (right after work, so can't transit). Luckily, he found a cheaper lot than a campus parking pass would cost. Still, this'll be about $50/month from here on out. $16 this month though.

Successes:
-Birthday gift for parent came off a gift card we got from selling books.
-$1,000 into DH's IRA, and $400 towards SLs
-Only $92 spent on gas this month. Last month was $360. Sadly, next month will go back up again as DH travels more and I work more days.
-No restaurants! Just went out and had 1 drink apiece with a friend.
-I got a job! So, additional income. This month will only be about $400 extra, but will increase in the future.
-Had to buy scrubs, used a gift card left over from the wedding.
-Rocked the Ibotta and Checkout51 rebates this month. I think we're up to ~$13 between the two apps. Since we buy very little name-brand stuff, this is exciting.
-No clothes budget, no entertainment budget, we've lumped supplements/pet food/household goods into our grocery budget.

Too early to make the FINAL call, but so far we've spent $4,346- if we take away Brother's share and our investments and SL payment, that is $2,166.

So we should end up with an extra $617 cash from this month; plus the debt and investments, we Savetember'd $2,024

Edit: I knew that seemed too high! Brother's payment for last month's expenses didn't come through until this month, so I was double counting payments ultimately. Fixed the #s above! $700 less than I thought, but still great!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:39:46 AM by Bracken_Joy »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
....so now we're $25 above our budget, plus we went through food I thought would last the week, so we will have to make another trip this month still most likely. We're trying to turn it around though. DH is on board to try and "pantry/freezer shop" to try and avoid a trip.

So we should end up with an extra $1,317 cash from this month; plus the debt and investments, we Savetember'd $2,724

Thanks for the props, BJ! I want people to see that we all deal with setbacks and still overcome and save. Congratulations on no restaurants and the new job! I envy your no-restaurant month!!! (Plus I went back and rolled part of my Amazon into groceries, two items were important supplements...)

BTW: That $300 birthday was dinner for my family at the kind of restaurant we NEVER EVER go to. But it was a two-for-one birthday celebration and the DW is still beaming and happy from it today. This morning she's already pitching in to help increase savings in October. I asked her to please have no guilt because I had anticipated and adjusted. (In one of my earlier postings in this thread. I adjusted and predicted $300 in August. I was off by $1.82.) Goes to show that "investments come in all kinds...."

In your case, I'm betting that dinner you hosted will pay dividends in other ways?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:42:48 AM by mefla »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
....so now we're $25 above our budget, plus we went through food I thought would last the week, so we will have to make another trip this month still most likely. We're trying to turn it around though. DH is on board to try and "pantry/freezer shop" to try and avoid a trip.

So we should end up with an extra $1,317 cash from this month; plus the debt and investments, we Savetember'd $2,724

Thanks for the props, BJ! I want people to see more realism in this thread, that we all deal with setbacks and still overcome and save. Congratulations on no restaurants and the new job! I envy your no-restaurant month!!! (Plus I went back and rolled part of my Amazon into groceries, two items were important supplements...)

BTW: That $300 birthday was dinner for my family at the kind of restaurant we NEVER EVER go to. But it was a two-for-one birthday celebration and the DW is still beaming and happy from it today. This morning she's already pitching in to help increase savings in October. I asked her to have NO GUILT, because I had anticipated and adjusted. (Predicted $300 in August. I was off by $1.82.) Goes to show that "investments come in all kinds...."

In your case, I'm betting that dinner you hosted will pay dividends in other ways?

It absolutely will. One guest was the reason DH and I started dating, and our longest-standing friend for both of us. Our relationship with him has paid dividends already! The other guests were all area business owners, and I know at least one new business contract grew out of the evening- this doesn't directly benefit us, but it benefits the local economy and that is cool! Also, these folks tend to give us free stuff, so that's always fun =P I end up with high-end fancy pants fashionista stuff I NEVER would own otherwise. Quite funny actually.

Most important, though, is DH and I got a social outlet. Both our jobs are unconventional, so it's easy to feel isolated sometimes. So even while I am bemoaning our lack of dishwasher this morning (OMG the dishes), DH and I have new topics of conversation for a couple weeks!

Your DW's birthday dinner sounds like an EXPERIENCE though, not just a meal. I think the big issue people get into with restaurants is just using them as a very spendy food source, or it's an experience they've had so many times it doesn't enrich them. Do you think it was enriching?

And yes, there can be MANY challenges in a Super Saving Mustachian Month and still have it be a success! I don't think there is such a thing as a "normal" month.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
This month has been pretty good to me.  I've finally started to take some real action on my savings. I'm also starting to see the fruits of some past decisions.  My goal for August was to begin the recovery from July (negative 29% savings rate!)  This month's goal was to start optimizing my finances.

Keeping with meflas's format:

Obstacles:
Travel! This month I bought a plane ticket for about $350 after discounts so I can visit my family for Thanksgiving.  It was a planned for expense, and it's always good to see the family, but I'll have to find a cheaper way to make it happen.

Successes:
Mobile Phone Would this count for this month or next?  I finally got my ex-girlfriend off of my phone plan!  She refused to take the phone off until I turned off her data.  She made the switch the very next day, and I immediately switched to the lowest data plan (AT&T).  There's room for a lot more improvement on this front, but these changes alone should save me at least $50 on my next bill, and even more after that!  Next month I'll look into Republic Wireless.
Food Until this month, my food budget was  $400 a month.  This month I've brought that down to $289.68.  The crockpot definitely helped make this possible.
Internet In August I bought my own modem and returned the rental to the cable company.  That's $8 a month saved from here on out.  I also 'downgraded' to the basic internet plan.  Combined, these amount to a savings of $28 per month!  The prorated difference was taken off of this month's bill, so I actually got a $0.76 credit.  In other words, internet was essentially free this month.
Gas Only had to fill the tank once for $19.91.  Usually I have to fill up twice.
Laundry I do my wash at coin laundry.  I was able to go two weeks between laundry cycles for the first time!  That saved me $1.  If I can continue this regimen, I should save $3 next month.
Retirement As mentioned earlier, I finally opened up a Roth IRA this month.  I also increased my 401(k) contribution to 33% to make up for lost time.  I still won't max it out for the year, but I'll be closer than I would have been otherwise.

I still have one paycheck coming in and have to pay next month's rent, but barring any unforeseen emergencies, I project my savings rate for the month to be 67%
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:23:28 AM by Tigerpine »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
It absolutely will. One guest was the reason DH and I started dating, and our longest-standing friend for both of us. Our relationship with him has paid dividends already! The other guests were all area business owners, and I know at least one new business contract grew out of the evening- this doesn't directly benefit us, but it benefits the local economy and that is cool! Also, these folks tend to give us free stuff, so that's always fun =P I end up with high-end fancy pants fashionista stuff I NEVER would own otherwise. Quite funny actually.

Most important, though, is DH and I got a social outlet. Both our jobs are unconventional, so it's easy to feel isolated sometimes. So even while I am bemoaning our lack of dishwasher this morning (OMG the dishes), DH and I have new topics of conversation for a couple weeks!

Impressive, actually. That's precisely the kind of investment MMM was talking about in his blog post about "let your tribe enrich you" (or whatever it was). Investing in other people means having access to their eyes, ears and brains. If they are quality people, that access can save one's ass in a time of need.

(I'm not talking here about "using your connections to get something". I mean receiving shared wisdom from others that keeps you from making a mistake or having an avoidable accident or finding out about something beneficial. The one time I've ever met in-person with mustachians had extreme value to me and has helped me immensely.)

Your DW's birthday dinner sounds like an EXPERIENCE though, not just a meal. I think the big issue people get into with restaurants is just using them as a very spendy food source, or it's an experience they've had so many times it doesn't enrich them. Do you think it was enriching?

Well, you are right. In no way was it only a spendy food source (I like that). It was a birthday thing, a purposeful event I saw coming back in August. I was able to pre-plan, then pre-pay and continue to "pay for it" using meals going forward and other efficiencies I believe will "make up for it" in October.

However, I debated, heavily, with myself about including it in the thread. I don't want to be whiny, but I owe it to forummm and everyone else to be honest, otherwise this thread is a waste of time.  I felt shock and anger when I first realized it was coming. But seeing it early gave me time to ponder it and weigh the cost/benefit. DW REEELY wanted an excellent meal with her sons and their SO's for HER birthday (in October). I delivered on that 110%.

The one true benefit to me? I was able to estimate the upcoming expense so closely, I surprised myself. I estimated $300, it came in at $301.83 with included 20% gratuity. So I know, at least, I've got an accurate sense of what things cost. Maybe it's time for me to go on "The Price is Right!".... :-)

This morning's breakfast and lunch cost me about $1 each - free scrambled eggs, a little shredded cheese and smoked meats, with tea. So I should easily "smudge" the cost away with savings in October.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:28:19 AM by mefla »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
 We've done pretty well this month, but I'm about to shoot it all to hell and back with medical bills if I can get an appointment time. New symptoms have developed which lead me to believe that what I thought was an effed up shoulder is actually a problem in my neck, likely a disk. Dammit dammit dammit, but it might mean that there's a solution at hand, which would be quite welcome. I've been hurting since January with no end In sight.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2015, 11:17:33 PM »
So far in Savetember...

Obstacles:
$185 in fuel!  We had two long road trips
$60 in gifts (Wedding, bridal shower, & birthday -- but manged to find some great deals)
$120 for a gym membership.  This was a splurge for DH.  But now we have unlimited access to an indoor rockwall for 4 months, which is a pretty sweet deal for us. 
$27 at restaurants.  A birthday dinner for a friend and another meal.

Successes:
$227 for food (we're usually somewhere in the $300's for food)
$40 saved when we did some troubleshooting & fixed our thermostat rather than buy a new one
$1700 boost in income.  This our big success!  DH installed some windows & siding for a total of $900 this month (still looking for a job using his PhD in Physics).  I picked up an overload at work so I'll earn an extra $800 for the next 3 months. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2015, 11:21:10 PM »
Hey, the successes are great!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
We've done pretty well this month, but I'm about to shoot it all to hell and back with medical bills if I can get an appointment time. New symptoms have developed which lead me to believe that what I thought was an effed up shoulder is actually a problem in my neck, likely a disk. Dammit dammit dammit, but it might mean that there's a solution at hand, which would be quite welcome. I've been hurting since January with no end In sight.

@rural Ouch - I hope you will be painfree soon. Sorry about the dip in the finances, but hey, your health is everything and then some.

I played with my numbers today and from here on out to the end of the year it looks promising.

Biggest success my savings rate went up a bit and better yet, I came up with a revised budget that will increase the SR from 51% to 63%.
That is actually so far beyond my expectations that I still can't quite believe it, really, 63%? I was sure 50% was the max I could possibly ever do.

Biggest budget killer: Way too many birthdays and celebrations this month, gifts and going out to eat to celebrate those birthdays.

This Saturday was the 100th birthday party for one of the nicest women I know:)
All her kids from NY and Florida were there and grandma simply glowed with happiness. The free food and drinks at one of the finest Italian restaurants in town was the icing on the cake. Sometimes family rocks!

Overall:
Even with the poor stock market results, minor car problems and all those birthdays, we stayed on target with our savings and investments, but put a little ding in our "entertainment fund". We leave a few hundred extra in the checking for surprises and budget killers, but all in all it was still a good month.

Action: Managed to cut the phone bill by $20 a month and realized that just by transferring $600 from one account to another I will earn an extra 6 bucks a month - well, there are three months left in this year, so $18 more dollars for my savings account. YAY - easy - free money.

Bonus: Cash rewards $214.75 - added to my savings. That also motivated me to check on a rewards card from my credit union, because I never see anything from them. Weird. They said they send the bonus rewards money automatically to your saving account once a year in November. Well, I just checked NOV 2014 and I don't see it on my statement. Added to my list of things to do for tomorrow.

Worked up new goals and projections for next year - oh the possibilities:) and tweaked the budget a bit for the remainder of the year.

@allie vaulter - wow, nice boost to the budget, you guys were rocking it this month!

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »

+1

+2

I had to replace my internet because Clear is going out of business, so I bought a wifi device from https://yourkarma.com/ which is kinda expensive.

I also walked into a casino...

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Biggest success my savings rate went up a bit and better yet, I came up with a revised budget that will increase the SR from 51% to 63%.
That is actually so far beyond my expectations that I still can't quite believe it, really, 63%? I was sure 50% was the max I could possibly ever do.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
This is the key...frugal, badass living. You have an off month, some birthdays, whatever. It dings you a little, but it it's just a station stop - not a derailment. You are still on the high speed rail to FIRE!

Nancy

« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »
Savetember was a success! I saved 83% of my take home pay (up from 71%). My goal was to reduce my food and misc. spending, and I accomplished both. I reduced my food budget by 46.8% by eating a lot of what we had in the house, eating from my garden, and giving myself a strict dining out budget. I didn't spend any money outside of food and bills, so no miscellaneous spending. I conquered my stocking up food habit, and I "made do, and did without" when things were used up or broken (I'm looking at you taped up sunglasses). This was a good exercise for me. I don't expect to continue at this saving level, but it's nice to know I can do it. I did enjoy buying the extra Vanguard shares with the savings.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
Savetember was a success! I saved 83% of my take home pay (up from 71%)....

Nancy, you are one helluva badass! And I hear you about resisting the "stock up" impulse. We've been getting used to that and it's not at all the disaster it "feels" like when you do it. You just have to be realistic about how long you can go before absolutely needing something....

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2015, 06:32:04 PM »
Savetember was a success! I saved 83% of my take home pay (up from 71%).
Wow.  Simply amazing.  I'm speechless!  Good job!

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2015, 03:34:16 AM »
Savings rate of 45% this month, and only spend about 100 on ´extra´s´ like gifts and social happenings. Most of it was gifts, as we attended a wedding this month. I´m happy with the result!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
Savetember  came out okay after all; MRI is tomorrow morning, so it falls in October. :-)

I don't yet know our savings rate, but we will be close to 50% despite this being the first month of only half the income. It'll change over the months - that's not factoring in tuition payments since we didn't pay any this month - but we are already set up to save 43% of gross in pretax accounts, so anything else is gravy. We made some gravy this month.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
More than Planned:
Computer: $99.93  New adapter, print cartridges, scan and clean-up of viruses
Pets: 129.00 Bought extra large bag of kitty litter (3 mo supply) and some supplies for re-house training a senior dog. Includes regular spending for food for 2 cats and 1 dog
Entertainment: $109.94  Concert ticket, Itunes and Netflix
Food: 142.47 Includes some stocking up of meat, and peanut butter, but too much overall. Food prices seemed high -- US$ is affecting prices, I think. I also made too many small trips to grocery store that added up. I`d like to spend $125.00
Alcohol: $145.00  Would like to get this to $100.

As Planned or Better
Clothes: $213.00 First clothes purchased since March. Year to Date: $299.50 Just need winter boots for the rest of the year.
Restaurants: $13.83
Utilities, Insurance, Line of credit and mortgage payment
Reduced taxes owing: $567.00
Hired for small part-time job: Will add $200 a month to income
Renewed library card, so that I can get my book club books through them: Saves $200 per year. Books can be renewed online, so less likely to have late charges.

Had a frustrating month, waiting to hear from people, no computer for 2.5 weeks, slower than expected bank transfer. However, went to the small local library to use the internet when I didn`t have the computer, and got hired there as a casual, so that turned out OK.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
September was the second best month of the year so far for me, with 76% SR.
Managed to stay in budget on every category, except the "misc": I was hit with a $190 fine for a red light while biking.
By a hidden police car.
In one of the very few areas of NYC where there's ZERO traffic (battery park city, for those who know).
Seriously NYC cops, got nothing better to do?
I didn't argue obviously because I have a green card application pending and cannot afford any stupid mistake.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
forummm has started a "Stocktober" thread. Come on over, the water's fine:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/stocktober/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!