Author Topic: SAVE 5 BUCKS ON LUNCH AND EAT FREE DANDELIONS FOR LUNCH AND MAKE A SALAD TOMOROW  (Read 4448 times)

doug111

• Stubble
I dare someone to save 5 dollars on lunch tomorrow and go pick some dandelions for salad and make a salad and directly take that 5 BUCKS and go slam it down on their mortgage, car loan, or credit card debt, or if your not in debt just spend less and save more and stash the cash !!!!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
It's September in the northern hemisphere. Maybe they could try this in Australia, where it's April.

doug111

• Stubble
It's September in the northern hemisphere. Maybe they could try this in Australia, where it's April.
Nice

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Yeah, these are out of season now. But the great thing about fall is we are abounding in some of the best wild edibles right now. Persimmons are getting ripe surprisingly early in my area and the Jerusalem artichokes are almost ready...if you're looking for a full winter's supply of "potatoes", give those a try!

syednaeemul

• Stubble
I'm in Melbourne Australia and spring is on! When I saw your 1st post I got curious about it, how do you make dandelion salad? Anything to watch out for?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
Carloads of dandelions in my back yard. I'm more than happy to post some to you USians if you like.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
You've created 3 threads (in less than 100 posts) and all three had your titles all in caps.  Please stop shouting your titles, Doug111.  I don't know that it's against the terms of service, but it's extremely annoying.

doug111

• Stubble
You've created 3 threads (in less than 100 posts) and all three had your titles all in caps.  Please stop shouting your titles, Doug111.  I don't know that it's against the terms of service, but it's extremely annoying.
Sorry about that I just get so excited when I think about things like frugality, in fact I feel a fire under my ass like I'm jumping out of my chair to get something else done for the day !!!!  I guess that it never crossed my mind that caps would offend people. But I will refrain from the caps button. Have a great frugal day Sir and thanks much for letting me know because my goal isn't to offend but to teach :)

sailinlight

• Bristles
So I looked up dandelions http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2441/2 and apparently a cup of them chopped has 25 calories.  Could you really stomach downing 20 cups of them to get a 500 calorie meal?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
http://allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=Dandelion&sort=re

Note that you have to like bitter greens, unless you use only the tiniest young leaves.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:18:53 AM by pbkmaine »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
I think the real response here should be: who normally spends $5 on lunch anyway?

I'm having leftover cabbage chili for lunch today at work, and I can make ~8 large servings of that for less than $20.

Truly though, I don't have any dandelions in my front yard.  I think I have some in my back yard but they're probably covered in dog piss.

charis

• Magnum Stache
I never spend $5 on lunch, so I'll pass, thanks.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
I'm in Melbourne Australia and spring is on! When I saw your 1st post I got curious about it, how do you make dandelion salad? Anything to watch out for?

Go for mostly young leaves. Dandelion leaves are naturally bitter (you will often notice a milky latex sap when harvesting), and the big, older leaves are the most bitter, so avoid those. Great plant for detox and kidney health as it encourages urination. I wouldn't make a salad entirely out of dandelion, but it is nice when added to a field-greens mix.

doug111

• Stubble

Go for mostly young leaves. Dandelion leaves are naturally bitter (you will often notice a milky latex sap when harvesting), and the big, older leaves are the most bitter, so avoid those. Great plant for detox and kidney health as it encourages urination. I wouldn't make a salad entirely out of dandelion, but it is nice when added to a field-greens mix.
I go 100% dandelion greens and even the big ones. The secret is a good dressing because it takes all the bitter flavor away and put fruit like chopped up apples and nuts into it also. Good Luck !!!!!

doug111

• Stubble
I really never did either before dandelions but most sheep do, lol !!!! I always hit the dollar menu and my favorite was a dollar McChicken for the money. lol

charis

• Magnum Stache
I really never did either before dandelions but most sheep do, lol !!!! I always hit the dollar menu and my favorite was a dollar McChicken for the money. lol

I bring leftovers from dinner, which I imagine is better in most ways than eating dandelions.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yeah, these are out of season now. But the great thing about fall is we are abounding in some of the best wild edibles right now. Persimmons are getting ripe surprisingly early in my area and the Jerusalem artichokes are almost ready...if you're looking for a full winter's supply of "potatoes", give those a try!

MBal, how do you prepare the 'chokes? I have scads of them growing in the yard, but no recipes. :)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

MVal

• Pencil Stache

MBal, how do you prepare the 'chokes? I have scads of them growing in the yard, but no recipes. :)

Basically any way you would make potatoes. I like to scrub them really well, peel a little, slice thin and fry in the skillet like home fries. They are also good in stir fry, or can even be put in salads. I would just caution against eating a large amount in one sitting as they can cause gas in some people.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Here's a nice way to eat dandelions, explained by a grandmother who routinely ate them during the depression. Dandelion is actually very closely related to many of the fancy salad greens we enjoy today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VhG8MKxJY