Author Topic: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread  (Read 18083 times)

jambongris

• Bristles
Re: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2022, 07:51:43 AM »
I didn't run during the blizzard this weekend since there was no visibility and it would have been too deep, or the day after since the roads were still getting cleared.  But I broke out my traction devices yesterday and ran on the roads.  I've got three sets of traction devices: snowtrax, yaktraks, and kahtoola microspikes.  Of the three, the microspikes are the most heavy-duty, and I tend to use them for trail runs or winter hiking.  The yaktraks I use when there's a layer of ice on the roads, and the snowtrax I just picked up at costco and tried out yesterday on the packed snow with spots of ice.  Anyone else have winter/snow-specific running equipment?
I borrowed a pair of slip-on traction devices when I ran on a multi-use winter trail (compacted snow) and it was a dream. I can’t stand them in the city though. I don’t enjoy using them where they can contact the pavement (maybe I just haven’t tried the right kind). I just use a pair of GoreTex On Cloud shoes to keep my feet warm and dry.

I do struggle when there’s a thin layer of snow on the road as it gets very slippery but I just consider it part of the challenge (cornering is a blast). I’ve also developed a pretty good idea of where to run around here to avoid icier spots and I make hunting down well paved streets and sidewalks a bit of a game. Also, our city dumps insane amounts of ice on the streets and sidewalks so as long as it isn’t actively snowing there’s usually decent traction.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2022, 08:12:34 AM »
I didn't run during the blizzard this weekend since there was no visibility and it would have been too deep, or the day after since the roads were still getting cleared.  But I broke out my traction devices yesterday and ran on the roads.  I've got three sets of traction devices: snowtrax, yaktraks, and kahtoola microspikes.  Of the three, the microspikes are the most heavy-duty, and I tend to use them for trail runs or winter hiking.  The yaktraks I use when there's a layer of ice on the roads, and the snowtrax I just picked up at costco and tried out yesterday on the packed snow with spots of ice.  Anyone else have winter/snow-specific running equipment?
I borrowed a pair of slip-on traction devices when I ran on a multi-use winter trail (compacted snow) and it was a dream. I can’t stand them in the city though. I don’t enjoy using them where they can contact the pavement (maybe I just haven’t tried the right kind). I just use a pair of GoreTex On Cloud shoes to keep my feet warm and dry.

I do struggle when there’s a thin layer of snow on the road as it gets very slippery but I just consider it part of the challenge (cornering is a blast). I’ve also developed a pretty good idea of where to run around here to avoid icier spots and I make hunting down well paved streets and sidewalks a bit of a game. Also, our city dumps insane amounts of ice on the streets and sidewalks so as long as it isn’t actively snowing there’s usually decent traction.

Yes, some of them are definitely overkill for running on pavement - the microspikes, for example, which are a GAME CHANGER for hiking and trail running on ice and snow - but the yaktraks are helpful when there's just a slippery coating on the roads for that little extra bit of traction - they're coils instead of spikes so you don't get that grinding sensation on pavement.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2022, 11:51:49 PM »
5 miles outside today. It was 19°F, but the sun was shining and it felt really warm. I often run at night and am way colder. The sun makes such a huge difference.
I wore trail shoes for the sections of sidewalk that were not cleared. I'm lucky to be able to go 1 mile on the sidewalk from my house to paved trails that go for miles and miles (these trails were completely cleared today).

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »
Ran the Winterman 2022 10k this morning and had a blast. They had to change the location at the last minute due to the occupation of Downtown Ottawa by the Truckers. Instead of running along the western parkway and around the War Museum it ended up being a 5k loop through the beautiful Beechwood Cemetery. Never associated cemeteries with running races but it seemed to work.

The temperature was perfect, -14 °C (-21 °C with the wind chill). The ground conditions were definitely tricky though. I went back and forth on whether or not I should wear traction devices but in the end decided not to. The course was on a footpath that runs through the cemetery and the conditions were equal parts loose snow, slush, salted asphalt, and ice. The traction devices would have helped on the icy sections but they would have driven me nuts on the asphalt and loose snow sections. I'd say about 25% of runners were wearing slip-on traction devices.

The hot soup broth at the finish line really hit the spot. I'm thinking about taking a thermos of hot broth on my longer winter runs if I'm not starting/ending at home.

I've noticed recently that my eyes get irritated/tired/sore/blurry on harder runs and it really hit me today in the last km. When I crossed the finish line I had a hard time keeping my eyes open for several minutes. I'm not really sure how to describe it; it was a very odd sensation. The only thing I can think of is that it was somewhat similar to the vasovagal syncope reflex responses* that I've had in the past at the sight of blood. I'm guessing that it's all related somehow.

*self-diagnosed...

Didn't manage a PB (although maybe I did because it was my first "official" 10k race) but I did manage to finish in the top 10 out of 160 entrants.

In other running news I'm 6 streets away from crossing the 1000 street barrier in my quest to run as many streets in Ottawa as possible. Only ~7500 more to go...

I'm really not looking forward to summer weather. I know I'll acclimatize to the heat as the seasons change but the thought of running in +30 °C is really unappealing right now.

How's everyone else doing with their winter running?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 10:41:42 AM by jambongris »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2022, 07:56:41 AM »
I'm in the southern US, so winter here doesn't really qualify as "winter". It will be almost 70 degrees today, but it is expected to cool back down into the 50s after it rains. Regardless, I'm still plugging away with another half marathon in less than 2 weeks. I feel much more fit for this one that I did for the one last November, so hopefully it'll be good. The race is in Myrtle Beach and the weather should be in the high 50s - low 60s...so just about perfect.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2022, 09:16:40 AM »
Raced my first half-marathon yesterday in Ottawa. I’ve run the HM distance a bunch of times during easy runs but never under 2 hours.

I had set an aspirational goal of 1:30 which I wasn’t able to hit but I’m still really happy with how it went. Managed to finish under 1:33. I was on pace at 10k but I just couldn’t hold it for the second half.

My speedwork came in handy though as I was able to run the last km in around 4 minutes. I’ve never seen my heart rate that high.

Ended up running the whole race with a runner friend that I had previously met at a ParkRun which really helped. Having someone to push me and keep my pace up was a big help.

I’m thinking about trying again for 90 minutes at the Toronto HM since it’s in the fall which will hopefully mean cooler temps.

The marathon winner set a new Ottawa Marathon record yesterday, 2:06:XX! Incompréhensible.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: June 02, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
After a month in another country where I rested up from a series of niggling running injuries, I am back to the morning runs with my dog again. Oh boy, my poor jelly legs.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2022, 06:43:42 AM »
Congrats @jambongris, that's awesome! 1:33 for a half is pretty damn fast. I ran one last Saturday in Memphis and it was hot. It was my 15th half marathon, but I knew I wouldn't be racing since it was so muggy, so I just took my time, stopped for photos, etc. and just tried not to die, lol.

Good luck getting back to your running routine @mspym! It can always be a little hard starting back up after a layoff. I'm trying to decide now if I should start back up after 3 half marathons in the past 6 months, or maybe take a small break and work on strength training and swimming for a while before getting back to training in August. I'm just afraid to take that much time completely off from running, so I'll most likely try to keep a baseline of around 10 treadmill miles per week so I won't be starting completely from scratch.