Author Topic: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread  (Read 18075 times)

jambongris

• Bristles
Re: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »
I ran my half marathon yesterday.  I swear my last.  HR average was 173, ugh, but I didn't die?  (I'm 51.)
And congrats!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
I ran my half marathon yesterday.  I swear my last.  HR average was 173, ugh, but I didn't die?  (I'm 51.)
I’m still learning when it comes to HRs but that seems high?!

The highest HRs that I’ve recorded over the last 12 months were all in the low 190s but now I have a hard time getting above 185 in the cooler weather.

I ran a 10k time trial last weekend, giving it all I had, and finished with an average HR of 169. I’m 36.

Do you have an abnormally high max HR for your age or are you just really good at pushing yourself?
I dug a bit further and found a 5k from September where I averaged 180.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that it sounds like you put in a solid effort. Have some kudos from this internet stranger.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2021, 04:46:26 AM »
Put in a ten miler yesterday, last long run before my half marathon coming up. Felt good, running to the double digits.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2021, 07:54:10 AM »

Congrats!!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »

The highest HRs that I’ve recorded over the last 12 months were all in the low 190s but now I have a hard time getting above 185 in the cooler weather.

I ran a 10k time trial last weekend, giving it all I had, and finished with an average HR of 169. I’m 36.

Do you have an abnormally high max HR for your age or are you just really good at pushing yourself?
Abnormally high heart rate.  I even asked my doc about it a few years ago - when I ran the uphill half with a 4000ft elevation gain, it easily hit 200 that race and had a difficult time getting it below 185.

He said "some people just run high, do you feel like you are going to pass out?"  So...I'd estimate my HR is probably easily 15 bpm high when I run, compared to what it would be for a normal person.  My resting HR is around 65.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

Abnormally high heart rate.  I even asked my doc about it a few years ago - when I ran the uphill half with a 4000ft elevation gain, it easily hit 200 that race and had a difficult time getting it below 185.

He said "some people just run high, do you feel like you are going to pass out?"  So...I'd estimate my HR is probably easily 15 bpm high when I run, compared to what it would be for a normal person.  My resting HR is around 65.
A half-marathon with 4000 ft of elevation?! Ouch. Was that a road race or a trail race?

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »
FWIW, I'm nearly the same age as mm1970, and my max heart rate at the end of a mile or 5k that I've run hard can hit 200. Resting heart rate in the forties. I know good runners my age whose heart rate maxes out at about 140. There's plenty of variation between people. That's why all those heart rate based training schedules work in terms of %max, or even min + %(max-min) rather than absolute numbers.         

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
FWIW, I'm nearly the same age as mm1970, and my max heart rate at the end of a mile or 5k that I've run hard can hit 200. Resting heart rate in the forties. I know good runners my age whose heart rate maxes out at about 140. There's plenty of variation between people. That's why all those heart rate based training schedules work in terms of %max, or even min + %(max-min) rather than absolute numbers.       
Interesting.

If you ran in your twenties was your HR also abnormally high or is it just the case that your max HR hasn’t really declined much over the last ~20 years?

(Assuming you ran AND monitored your HR back then.)

I’m new to running and HR data so I have no idea what my HR looked like during physical exertion in my twenties.

I have a 5k ParkRun planned for this weekend and I’m trying for a PB. We’ll see how high my average HR ends up.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2021, 01:15:03 AM »
If you ran in your twenties was your HR also abnormally high or is it just the case that your max HR hasn’t really declined much over the last ~20 years?

I’m new to running and HR data so I have no idea what my HR looked like during physical exertion in my twenties.

I have a 5k ParkRun planned for this weekend and I’m trying for a PB. We’ll see how high my average HR ends up.

Don't have heart rate data from back then, but maximum heart rate has certainly fallen by about 10 beats per minute over the past decade, so I assume it was higher.

I didn't run consistently - entered events - trained for some months to do them, then stopped running again. It was only the coming of parkrun that turned me into someone who has run week in week out for over a decade now.

Good luck for Saturday morning.

Jacinle

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
Aspired runner - beginner

On Couch to 5k week7, this week is to run for 25 minutes, however I can only jog/fast walk as I am always out of breath

I think might need to retake week7

Goal is to run 30mins by end of this year!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2021, 05:57:30 AM »
Aspired runner - beginner

On Couch to 5k week7, this week is to run for 25 minutes, however I can only jog/fast walk as I am always out of breath

I think might need to retake week7

Goal is to run 30mins by end of this year!
Welcome to the club!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2021, 07:15:14 AM »
Yes, welcome @Jacinle

If you are struggling with a certain level, it is perfectly normal to go back and repeat a prior week. There is no one size fits all approach and I think you'll find over time that programs like that are good to give some structure, but you always need to listen to your body. If it tells you you're doing too much, too soon...then don't hesitate to go back and do a week over or take an additional rest day every now and then. Best of luck on your 30 min goal!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »

A half-marathon with 4000 ft of elevation?! Ouch. Was that a road race or a trail race?

Road race.  Called "Pier to Peak".  Fun times.

I also have no idea what my HR was in my 20s, because I'm old.  I ran back then (I was in the Navy, so had no choice).

I used to wear a HR monitor in my 30s and 40s during spin class, particularly when pregnant.  But I have no memory of what my HR was...just that I was trying to keep it below a certain number. 

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »

Road race.  Called "Pier to Peak".  Fun times.

I also have no idea what my HR was in my 20s, because I'm old.  I ran back then (I was in the Navy, so had no choice).

I used to wear a HR monitor in my 30s and 40s during spin class, particularly when pregnant.  But I have no memory of what my HR was...just that I was trying to keep it below a certain number.

That looks like a really interesting, and challenging, race. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of PBs set on that course.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »
Interesting.

ParkRun went well. I set a new PB and managed to finish under the arbitrary time that I had set for myself.

When I ran this parkrun two months ago I finished 90 seconds slower with an average HR of 180 (max of 188). This morning my average HR was 170 (max of 183). I think the difference in HR was largely due to cooler temps as the effort level felt the same - it was 10 °C cooler today.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »
Terrible 2021 for me. Stopped running over the winter when it got really cold in NY, and haven't ran in almost three months now.

Keep procrastinating that firsts mile back. How do you motivate yourselves after a prolonged hiatus?

Well it took me another 5+ months after posting this to finally get the cobwebs off the ol' running shoes......but finally built back up to being able to run 5-7 miles at a clip without feeling like death. On track for ~34-40 miles for November.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
Ahhhhhhh.  Streak of bright blue skies and lovely cool running weather. 

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2021, 06:37:22 PM »
Ahhhhhhh.  Streak of bright blue skies and lovely cool running weather.

Yeah, that really helps, right? We’ve had very stiff winds lately until today. 43F with low winds….I can live with that. And bone dry. Now just hold that until spring.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »
I just ran my 13th half marathon. I’ve been training consistently since March 2020. The thing that is depressing is I used to roll out of bed hungover in my 30s and blow past the times I post now. It seems so unfair to work harder and make less progress! I read somewhere to look at PBS by decade. Anyone else feel like this? I know it’s normal but it’s frustrating.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »
Ran a solid half this weekend in the city by my home. Cold, but invigorating!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2021, 05:06:55 AM »

Philly? I did Philly and loved it. Such a great course and city!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »
Ran my half a little over a week ago and just forgot to report back. Went fairly well, but I had an issue I've never had before...hand swelling. It was cold (around 38 degrees at the start), but I'm not sure if that's what caused the swelling or if it was something else. Really weird. Nice race altogether. Already signed up for my next one in March!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
Congrats to everyone on their recent half-marathons.

I’m thinking about signing up for the Winterman race in Ottawa. It’s scheduled for February 20th where the average high is -5 °C and the average low is -15 °C (23 °F and 5 °F respectively).

They have marathon and half-marathon distances but I think I’ll stick to the 10k if I end up registering. (It looks like there were 32 Marathon runners in 2020 compared to ~5000 in the Ottawa Marathon. A few even BQ’d.)

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
Ran my half a little over a week ago and just forgot to report back. Went fairly well, but I had an issue I've never had before...hand swelling. It was cold (around 38 degrees at the start), but I'm not sure if that's what caused the swelling or if it was something else. Really weird. Nice race altogether. Already signed up for my next one in March!
My hands are the first parts of my body to suffer any effects from cold weather. I see people out running without gloves below 5 °C and I shudder.

I’ve never had swelling though. My hands tend to stiffen up if I let them get too cold for too long.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2021, 06:42:22 AM »
I've been running half marathons for around 12 years and between training and racing, this is the very first time I've ever had any sort of issue like this. I kept thinking that I was just cold...but with sweat running down my face I finally figured out that the stiffness was actually swelling. My wedding ring felt super tight also, but at that point I didn't feel cold...so I wasn't sure if it the swelling was due to the cold or something else, but when I got back to the hotel after and jumped in the shower, the hot water stung my hands, and within an hour or so the swelling was all gone. Just strange all the way around for me, but I'll be sure to pack my running gloves from now on.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »

Philly? I did Philly and loved it. Such a great course and city!

Yup! It’s a great course for a PR. Nice and flat!

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2021, 07:12:11 PM »
I just ran my 13th half marathon. I’ve been training consistently since March 2020. The thing that is depressing is I used to roll out of bed hungover in my 30s and blow past the times I post now. It seems so unfair to work harder and make less progress! I read somewhere to look at PBS by decade. Anyone else feel like this? I know it’s normal but it’s frustrating.

Yeah, that’s a distinct problem….birthdays piling up. Various techniques maybe to decrease how bad it feels. Check the Boston qualifying times. Check age group winners for various races. Plot things up and scale your results and expectations. Focus also on striving to have a perfect race. Hit your target splits, great hydration and nutrition.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »

Yeah, that’s a distinct problem….birthdays piling up. Various techniques maybe to decrease how bad it feels. Check the Boston qualifying times. Check age group winners for various races. Plot things up and scale your results and expectations. Focus also on striving to have a perfect race. Hit your target splits, great hydration and nutrition.
Parkrun offers age-graded results which help give you an idea of how you compare to other age brackets. There are probably calculators online you can use to perform the same calculation.

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
Been a while since I updated, but I passed over 1,000 miles a month or so ago.  This is just insanity for me - since I’ve never been a runner in my life.  I want to scream it from the rooftops because I’m proud, but also not many ways to bring it up without sounding like a huge brag.

But have transitioned my training away from running as much and more towards hiking. (On trail with a loaded pack).

I may still try to run a marathon after work one day - no official race.  Just go knock one out.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2021, 07:36:33 AM »
Been a while since I updated, but I passed over 1,000 miles a month or so ago.  This is just insanity for me - since I’ve never been a runner in my life.  I want to scream it from the rooftops because I’m proud, but also not many ways to bring it up without sounding like a huge brag.

But have transitioned my training away from running as much and more towards hiking. (On trail with a loaded pack).

I may still try to run a marathon after work one day - no official race.  Just go knock one out.

That's awesome, congratulations! There's something really satisfying about nice round milestone numbers.

I've gone out with a local trail running group a few times. It's a very different experience from running around in the city - very soothing for the soul.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2021, 08:28:46 AM »
Shortly after I started running back in March I set a goal of 1000 km for 2021. I passed that awhile ago but I just realized that I’m on pace to finish the year over 1000 miles as well.

I love nice round numbers.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2021, 08:51:30 PM »

Parkrun offers age-graded results which help give you an idea of how you compare to other age brackets. There are probably calculators online you can use to perform the same calculation.

Thanks both. Good advice. A bit out from the race and I haven’t thought about my time again just how much fun I had that weekend. Which is a good reminder of the real reason I run.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:45 PM »
Hope everyone in this thread was able to find some benefit from running in 2021.

As this was my first year running I'm looking forward to see what I can do now that I have a better aerobic base. I've signed up for 2 races so far. Winterman, a 10k race at the end of February where the average temperature is somewhere between -5 and -10 °C, and the Ottawa 1/2 marathon.

Here's to 2022.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »
Yikes, that Winterman race seems daunting, lol. Best of luck on that and your other races this year!

I ran a half in November 21 and have my next one coming up in March in Myrtle Beach, SC. It was nice to get back into running/training for races last year and I look forward to a productive and race-filled 2022

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2022, 12:00:41 PM »
Taking a break from the gym due to huge omicron surge :-( 

January-March is the time of year when I'd prefer to do a few weekly runs when the weather is ok and rely mostly on the gym, but I find myself doing longer daily (cold) runs due to lingering pandemic.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »
I love to complain but I think I like running in the cold haha. Today was 20 degrees but no wind and we went late at 8:00 am so it was bright and sunny. Of course I’m a wimp and had on insulation layer under my pants.

Jacinle

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2022, 11:40:27 AM »
Yes, welcome @Jacinle

If you are struggling with a certain level, it is perfectly normal to go back and repeat a prior week. There is no one size fits all approach and I think you'll find over time that programs like that are good to give some structure, but you always need to listen to your body. If it tells you you're doing too much, too soon...then don't hesitate to go back and do a week over or take an additional rest day every now and then. Best of luck on your 30 min goal!
Happy new year!
Guess god might have a plan.  right after my post I was down in serious cold (has a covid scare though as some close contact is +ve and I thought I am , double jabbed though so not too worry).  re-run from 6th week after recovery and finally hit week 9 (final) right on xmas eve and push thru the 30mins running very slowly !  milestone achieved!  2022 Q1 goal is to keep the habit 30mins run/3 times a week + strength / 2 times a week;  not sure how I can stick to it if I need to go back to office though, was using the commute time to do this.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2022, 07:55:00 AM »
I’m loving the winter running. I was a little worried that it was going to suck but it’s been a blast and we’ve had a really cold January so far with many days around -20 °C.

I’ve got my layers dialed in now and I can’t get enough of it. I love getting home and having a layer of ice on my eyelashes - there’s something very satisfying about the whole endeavour.

Now that I’ve run in all four seasons I can confirm that my favorite seasons in general are in the same order as my favorite running seasons: autumn, winter, spring, and summer.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »
Our new house is not set up for convenient winter running. I miss our old place with a great set up of a garage with a perfect spot for gear storage and a people door (for nice silent exit and entry.) The entire process of dressing for a subzero run is sometimes too arduous and I land on the treadmill. But the treadmill has been going pretty good. I did do a couple wonderful snow runs over the last week. Three to four miles in four to eight inches of snow is glorious.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2022, 08:33:13 PM »
I'm training for a marathon that is in April. I also work 12.5 hr night shifts, usually 4 sometimes 5 night a week. I end up running a lot at night (always have) just because I'm too tired in the mornings and by the time I wake up and get going, the sun has gone down.

Today, I got up early to do my long run, 11 miles, because it was so nice outside in the low 40's. I'm at work right now so I might be struggling later, but it was worth it.
The high tomorrow is 27 and snowing so I might skip tomorrow. I don't mind the snow, but the ice is more of a problem and hard to see in the dark.
I could always run on a treadmill, but I would rather run in a blizzard. The treadmill is just so boring and time goes so slow.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:18 AM »
Despite being double-jabbed with Pfizer, I managed to contract covid (at work I believe). I had a rough 24-hours from Thursday-Friday, then felt perfectly fine after...so I tried a run on Saturday and it went okay. After that I've dialed down my mileage a bit as I can tell my lungs are working a little harder, but I managed to get at least 3-4 miles in every day. Thank goodness for my treadmill and the iFit app! There is no way I was going to be able to run outside and suck down all that cold air, so I'm very thankful to be able to pop out to my garage and get some miles in while viewing exotic destinations on my screen, ha ha.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »
I joined this thread last year but wasn't able to do any exercise at all; instead I gained over ten pounds. But I have been running 3x a week since December and I feel great! I even ran 3 miles yesterday (slowly) without having to stop and walk. I guess this is a silver lining to climate change in that the weather has been tolerably warm even in mid January.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »
I joined a run club in the new year, hoping to get some motivation. I’m a real couch potato. Even when I’ve been fit in other ways, running has always been my weak spot. If I can even run a mile, I’ll be happy.  I’ll join in this year (unless there’s gonna be a 2022 thread?)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2022, 10:41:46 AM »
I joined a run club in the new year, hoping to get some motivation. I’m a real couch potato. Even when I’ve been fit in other ways, running has always been my weak spot. If I can even run a mile, I’ll be happy.  I’ll join in this year (unless there’s gonna be a 2022 thread?)
We should probably start a 2022 thread.  But I joined a run training group, week 1 down...9 more to go.  Supposed to run 3x a week, but I'm only running 2, because that's what I feel like doing.

I'm a dedicated Galloway run/walker.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »
I joined this thread last year but wasn't able to do any exercise at all; instead I gained over ten pounds. But I have been running 3x a week since December and I feel great! I even ran 3 miles yesterday (slowly) without having to stop and walk. I guess this is a silver lining to climate change in that the weather has been tolerably warm even in mid January.
Interestingly our January has been colder than average this year. We even hit -30 °C for the first time in 4 years.

I can’t get enough of it. So much better than +30 °C in the sun. The only part that I struggle to keep warm is my hands. For that I use a trick that a fellow runner taught me: run with your arms extended straight and swing them harder than usual. It increases blood flow to the hands and works a charm. It looks funny but it sure beats the alternative.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »

Good thought to start one. I’m about 100 miles in for the year, feeling good so far.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2022, 01:39:50 PM »

Good thought to start one. I’m about 100 miles in for the year, feeling good so far.
Nice. I’m right around the same distance. I set an ambitious goal of 200 km per month for 2022 (~125 miles). So far I’m on pace.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2022, 10:24:10 PM »
15 miles this afternoon before work and I'm exhausted (only 8.5 more hrs to go). I couldn't not run tho bc it was in the 50s and the rest of the week is going to be horrible so I had to get my long run in.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2022, 06:38:39 AM »
I didn't run during the blizzard this weekend since there was no visibility and it would have been too deep, or the day after since the roads were still getting cleared.  But I broke out my traction devices yesterday and ran on the roads.  I've got three sets of traction devices: snowtrax, yaktraks, and kahtoola microspikes.  Of the three, the microspikes are the most heavy-duty, and I tend to use them for trail runs or winter hiking.  The yaktraks I use when there's a layer of ice on the roads, and the snowtrax I just picked up at costco and tried out yesterday on the packed snow with spots of ice.  Anyone else have winter/snow-specific running equipment?

Lomonossov

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Nihil Obstat
« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2022, 07:18:45 AM »
Hey runners!

I'm joining the thread as I prepare for my first half-marathon in April. I ran a few 10k races and while my pace isn't super fast - last 10k took me 55 min to complete - I felt in need of the challenge.

I am using this plan I found on-line, but I would take any piece of advice that my fellow MMM runners have to offer.

So far I've been training running around 25 to 30 km per week and I'm doing OK. I'll increase that slowly as the race gets closer.

Anyway, I'll be posting my progress here.

Nice to meet y'all.