Author Topic: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread  (Read 18176 times)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
Re: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2021, 06:34:52 AM »

I’ve gone in the opposite direction as I’m learning more about running. I’ve been intentionally slowing down some of my runs. Apparently going all out for every run isn’t a good way to improve.

Yes...and this lesson is very important for runners to learn. Going all out and completely punishing your body on every run is a recipe for physical disaster at some point. Kudos for slowing down a bit and taking care of yourself.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
In my nine days visiting my mom I ran 25 miles and hiked at least 18! I've got small blisters on both big toe mounds now, maybe from using the same shoes for both activities? They don't hurt.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
Finished week 1 of C25K! I've increased my speed .02% from the beginning to end of this week, lol
That’s moving in the right direction. At that rate you’ll be a whole 1% faster at 52 weeks.

I’ve gone in the opposite direction as I’m learning more about running. I’ve been intentionally slowing down some of my runs. Apparently going all out for every run isn’t a good way to improve.

1%? Wowsers! That's like, a lot, right? 😉

@jambongris fast *is* fun. Personally I can't sustain it. But nice to know the speed is there sometimes. Like when the 2-lb, off-leash Yorkie started growling & snapping at me? I was happy to put it in a higher gear and move away even more quickly.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »
Finished week 1 of C25K! I've increased my speed .02% from the beginning to end of this week, lol
That’s moving in the right direction. At that rate you’ll be a whole 1% faster at 52 weeks.

1%? Wowsers! That's like, a lot, right? 😉

@jambongris fast *is* fun. Personally I can't sustain it. But nice to know the speed is there sometimes. Like when the 2-lb, off-leash Yorkie started growling & snapping at me? I was happy to put it in a higher gear and move away even more quickly.

You won't get any argument from me that fast is fun. I just started running three months ago and spent the first month treating every run as a record attempt. My body didn't appreciate it.

In addition to being easier on my legs, going slow now is supposedly part of how to get faster in the long run - "building an aerobic base" as I've been lead to understand. It also makes these 30°C days easier to handle.

I have to constantly look at my pace and remind myself to slow down. There's definitely still part of me that just wants to go fast.

Vroom vroom.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2021, 07:52:41 AM »
Today was super hot and humid so it made the run a little extra challenging. I broke into a dripping sweat almost immediately. I didn't push myself on speed and just did a little over 3k at my average pace.

I'm committed to keeping up the routine going even when it's hot, but this kind of weather is tough! Who else is struggling with this heat wave?

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2021, 08:48:40 AM »
Today was super hot and humid so it made the run a little extra challenging. I broke into a dripping sweat almost immediately. I didn't push myself on speed and just did a little over 3k at my average pace.

I'm committed to keeping up the routine going even when it's hot, but this kind of weather is tough! Who else is struggling with this heat wave?

It definitely adds to the challenge.

I picked up a small water bottle that straps to my hand. It only holds about 350 ml which isn't a lot but it's a whole lot more than nothing when it's 30°C+.

I've also started planning my runs around the local splash pads. There are 4 or 5 within a few kms of me so I try and run through them for a quick cool down mid-run. I also keep my eyes open for people watering their front gardens in the hopes that they'll give me a quick spray with their hose. No luck so far.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
The heat is getting tough for sure. It was around 92 here yesterday so I ran in the garage with the door up...which was probably a mistake as I got sweat all over the treadmill, lol.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:42 AM »

I picked up a small water bottle that straps to my hand. It only holds about 350 ml which isn't a lot but it's a whole lot more than nothing when it's 30°C+.

I've also started planning my runs around the local splash pads. There are 4 or 5 within a few kms of me so I try and run through them for a quick cool down mid-run. I also keep my eyes open for people watering their front gardens in the hopes that they'll give me a quick spray with their hose. No luck so far.

A water bottle is a good idea. I don't like the idea of having to hold something, but I guess if it's small and straps on it won't be too annoying.

There is a water fountain on my route that has misty sprays around it, running through it provided a bit of relief. I just wish there were more.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2021, 09:45:01 AM »

A water bottle is a good idea. I don't like the idea of having to hold something, but I guess if it's small and straps on it won't be too annoying.

There is a water fountain on my route that has misty sprays around it, running through it provided a bit of relief. I just wish there were more.

This is the one I got: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6013-015/QuickSqueeze-Lite-Handheld?colour=FLB23

It's hard to get big swigs from this bottle which may have been a design decision to encourage smaller sips so that your water supply lasts longer.

I'd also rather not run with a water bottle but it sure beats heat stroke.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
I used to have a hand-held like that, that essentially straps onto your hand so that you're not exactly "holding" it. Over time it just seemed to be more annoying than anything...but that's just a personal preference sort of thing I guess. It definitely beats not having any fluids on a humid run

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
I committed a social faux-pas on my run the other day and discovered that you can't run through camp grounds.

Spoiler: show
You can only ran since it's past tents.

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2021, 02:57:44 PM »
Any barefoot/minimalist runners here? For years I ran in Brooks Ghosts, but often had foot and ankle problems. I was introduced to the barefoot running style and minimalist shoes, and now that's all I wear (I've run in Xero shoes and Lems so far, as well as Xero sandals). It definitely took some time to get adapted as you have to rebuild muscles that have atrophied over time - but I think it's well worth looking into, particularly if you are injury prone.

I read a quote somewhere that perfectly summarized my thoughts on modern running shoes vs. the human foot (paraphrased) - "What are you going to trust more, millions of years of human evolution, or 40 years of Nike trying to make more money?"

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2021, 06:47:02 PM »
In the other hemisphere we are hitting the reverse conditions - hard to warm up but once you are going, the cool temperature is lovely. Honey hasn't been stopping to drink nearly as often and we finish the run with some energy. I've even had to bust out the running jacket this week.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:29 PM »
Any barefoot/minimalist runners here? For years I ran in Brooks Ghosts, but often had foot and ankle problems. I was introduced to the barefoot running style and minimalist shoes, and now that's all I wear (I've run in Xero shoes and Lems so far, as well as Xero sandals). It definitely took some time to get adapted as you have to rebuild muscles that have atrophied over time - but I think it's well worth looking into, particularly if you are injury prone.

I read a quote somewhere that perfectly summarized my thoughts on modern running shoes vs. the human foot (paraphrased) - "What are you going to trust more, millions of years of human evolution, or 40 years of Nike trying to make more money?"

3 days no running due to heat and obligations :(. I'm using Brooks Ghost right now and I have to say that they aren't as good as the Saucony Ride series I had before. It definitely helps if I run on dirt or gravel instead of pavement.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2021, 06:07:37 AM »
I'm sort of at the opposite extreme to minimalist shoes at the moment, running in Hoka One Ones. They are by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever run in and my knees don't hurt when I run anymore as compared to my Brooks and Nike phases.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
Despite living in minimalist shoes and barefeet, using them as my running shoes (even with working up to mileage) caused a total leg lock-up that needed 6 months of PT to resolve. Like, I actually couldn’t walk further than my driveway for months. The super-plush NB runners are too soft for me but my fresh foams are the right balance of groundfeel and cushioning. I save the minimalist shoes for walking.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2021, 03:54:05 PM »
I have been getting up at the crack of dawn to run because I'm currently in the midwest, actually more northern lattitude than CT but it's been in the 90s all week.  So I went from running in 50s and 60s in the morning to very humid (87% this morning) 70+ temps and I am not loving it.   June used to be my favorite running month of the whole year but it has been demoted and May has taken its place lately.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2021, 04:41:23 PM »
I have been getting up at the crack of dawn to run because I'm currently in the midwest, actually more northern lattitude than CT but it's been in the 90s all week.  So I went from running in 50s and 60s in the morning to very humid (87% this morning) 70+ temps and I am not loving it.   June used to be my favorite running month of the whole year but it has been demoted and May has taken its place lately.

I'm in the midwest too. Taking a few days off due to heat and general busy-ness. Last weekend was beautiful and I got some extra miles in while visiting family. I got used to running in the cold this winter and have to say that 30-40F is my favorite temperature range.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2021, 07:17:10 AM »

I'm in the midwest too. Taking a few days off due to heat and general busy-ness. Last weekend was beautiful and I got some extra miles in while visiting family. I got used to running in the cold this winter and have to say that 30-40F is my favorite temperature range.

Yeah, 30-40 is refreshing and very enjoyable.  Probably my favorite too, but I also like the 50s very much.  It's warm enough for a leisurely walk/cool down after the run but still feels deliciously cool while running.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
There was some cool (forgive the pun...) data analysis that someone did on millions of marathon results that showed that the best temperature for elite marathon runners is about 35F, and for back of the pack runners 47F (and slightly higher temperatures for women than men). Historically Berlin (end of September) or London (April) were the places that world records were set, not because they're particularly flat or fast courses, but because they're colder than other big city marathons with an elite field.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2021, 07:28:30 AM »
Question for the more experienced runners:

How quickly do you lose your fitness when you don't run?

I'm realizing that I have a mental hook that's causing me to run too often (I think) lest I lose my fitness. While that's not the only reason I'm running as often as I am I think it's definitely playing into it and as a result I'm probably not improving as much as I might if I gave myself some proper rest days.

I ran my first half-marathon yesterday on a lark and it took me exactly 3 times longer than my 10k personal best. I was intentionally running slowly, and not looking for an impressive time, but I still felt pretty gassed by the end of the run. Under ideal conditions I think I could probably get as low as 2.5 times my 10k PB. Looking at online pace calculators/estimators I feel like I should be faster based on my 10k time.

How much rest do you give yourself when you're looking to improve on your times and how much rest is too much such that you start losing your fitness?

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »

I'm realizing that I have a mental hook that's causing me to run too often (I think) lest I lose my fitness. While that's not the only reason I'm running as often as I am I think it's definitely playing into it and as a result I'm probably not improving as much as I might if I gave myself some proper rest days.

I ran my first half-marathon yesterday on a lark and it took me exactly 3 times longer than my 10k personal best. I was intentionally running slowly, and not looking for an impressive time, but I still felt pretty gassed by the end of the run. Under ideal conditions I think I could probably get as low as 2.5 times my 10k PB. Looking at online pace calculators/estimators I feel like I should be faster based on my 10k time.

How much rest do you give yourself when you're looking to improve on your times and how much rest is too much such that you start losing your fitness?

Couple of weeks of not running would probably be the point where I'd expect to start losing fitness. Multiplier for 10k to HM is generally reckoned to be around 2.2-2.25, maybe a bit less for women, a little higher if you're a sprinter or something.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »

Two runs per week is generally enough to maintain cardiovascular fitness. If you stop cold turkey, you should be okay for a couple of weeks before fitness starts to drop (but that can be slowed down with cross-training and returns fairly quickly). Training loads are very individual and keyed to your personal goals, but the general guidance for distance running is 80% of mileage at easy pace, and 20% focused on speedwork. But you have to listen to your body and back off if you're feeling fatigued. All the training in the world won't do you any good if you DNS due to injury.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »

Couple of weeks of not running would probably be the point where I'd expect to start losing fitness. Multiplier for 10k to HM is generally reckoned to be around 2.2-2.25, maybe a bit less for women, a little higher if you're a sprinter or something.
I think I need to give myself more rest days. Part of me really wants to just run a lot. Every day. As fast as I can. But I also went to get faster.

A multiple of 2.2 for 10k to HM seems inconceivable to me (that would cut 36 minutes off my current HM time).

I could maybe eke out 2.5x if all the stars aligned. I think that’s probably a sign that I need to continue working on my endurance - lots of slow easy kms.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2021, 05:55:47 PM »

Two runs per week is generally enough to maintain cardiovascular fitness. If you stop cold turkey, you should be okay for a couple of weeks before fitness starts to drop (but that can be slowed down with cross-training and returns fairly quickly). Training loads are very individual and keyed to your personal goals, but the general guidance for distance running is 80% of mileage at easy pace, and 20% focused on speedwork. But you have to listen to your body and back off if you're feeling fatigued. All the training in the world won't do you any good if you DNS due to injury.
I’m slowly coming around to the long slow runs.

amberfocus

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2021, 08:21:20 PM »

Long slow runs will make you faster over ALL distances, including the 5K and 10K, but for the half (and full) marathon distance, it is the core of your training. If your 10K time is 45 min, you can absolutely get a sub-2 half with proper training. Are you following a training plan?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »

I didn't run much for about 2 years and was able to do 4 miles from the start without walking. It only took about a month to be able to do nine miles. This was in cold weather and I didn't time myself. I had been cycling quite a bit so my baseline cardio fitness was good.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2021, 02:03:08 AM »

I think I need to give myself more rest days. Part of me really wants to just run a lot. Every day. As fast as I can. But I also went to get faster.

A multiple of 2.2 for 10k to HM seems inconceivable to me (that would cut 36 minutes off my current HM time).

I could maybe eke out 2.5x if all the stars aligned. I think that’s probably a sign that I need to continue working on my endurance - lots of slow easy kms.

Even elite Olympic distance runners will do most of their running at an easy pace (of course, their "easy" is faster than my 5k pace). Running a lot is of course the way to get faster, but it's also the way to get injured, and running fast all the time is definitely the way to get injured. Training programmes should be a small amount of running faster than race pace, a small amount of running at race pace, and most of your running a good bit slower. Different people will argue for different proportions of each, but not many will disagree with the basic idea. As for rest days, remember that for endurance (or indeed for weights/strength), it's not the training itself where your body rebuilds itself a little better, it's during the recovery from training.

Most running calculators would say a 45 minute 10k is equivalent to a HM of just under 1:40. Some people will be a bit slower than that, others a bit faster, but that's the ball park.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2021, 05:33:03 AM »

Long slow runs will make you faster over ALL distances, including the 5K and 10K, but for the half (and full) marathon distance, it is the core of your training. If your 10K time is 45 min, you can absolutely get a sub-2 half with proper training. Are you following a training plan?
I was following a training plan but I stopped because of IT band issues.

For now I’m just running. Mostly slow kms to build up endurance and to strengthen the weak muscles that were causing the IT band issues.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2021, 05:39:53 AM »

As for rest days, remember that for endurance (or indeed for weights/strength), it's not the training itself where your body rebuilds itself a little better, it's during the recovery from training.

Most running calculators would say a 45 minute 10k is equivalent to a HM of just under 1:40. Some people will be a bit slower than that, others a bit faster, but that's the ball park.

This is what I need to remind myself of. Bodies build strength on rest days. I’ve heard this before, many times, but part of me still associates improvement with more exercise.

I think this is just a case of running calculators not applying equally to everyone. I struggle to see how I could run a HM that fast.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2021, 06:43:12 AM »
Tracking.

Week 0: ~75kg, waking from a 6 mo winter hibernation.
Week 1: 75.2kg, 1min run - 1.5min walk (20min) x4 days.
Week 2: 74.7kg, 1.5min run - 2min walk (20min) x6 days.
Week 3: 75.5kg, 1.5r-1.5w, 3r-1.5w (20min) x6 days.

Week 4 goals: 3r-1.5w, 5r-2.5w (20min) x6 days.

Weight has not changed in 3 weeks. I am ravenous around 3PM and eat a bunch of snacks. Maybe I should pre-plan the meals of the day or something.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
Tracking.

Week 4 goals: 3r-1.5w, 5r-2.5w (20min) x6 days.

Weight has not changed in 3 weeks. I am ravenous around 3PM and eat a bunch of snacks. Maybe I should pre-plan the meals of the day or something.
Nice progress.

One suggestion I’ve seen when trying to lose weight is to not rely solely on the scale but to also take measurements of your body (thighs, waist, chest, etc.) If you’re replacing fat with muscle then your weight might not go down but your measurements should, since muscle is denser than fat.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
I gain weight when I run a lot too. I

Today I got in a good run before it got hot. 6.8 miles at 10.35 average pace, and I didn't have to walk on the hills! I had an issue with motion sickness from watching my shadow running in front of me on the westward stretch.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »
Today I got in a good run before it got hot. 6.8 miles at 10.35 average pace, and I didn't have to walk on the hills! I had an issue with motion sickness from watching my shadow running in front of me on the westward stretch.

Nice. I went for my first ever morning run this morning. The afternoon and evening heat were getting to be too much.

I really enjoyed it. Morning runs are a really nice way to start the day.

I went 7km at around 6:50/km (~4.3 miles @11:00/mile) - my slowest pace yet. I actually managed to keep my heart rate in Zone 2 the whole time.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
I did a morning run today too! Almost 5k, 35mins. Feels good, was a bit hot but not bad in the shade. There's always a couple minutes at the start of a run when everything is sore and I wonder why I'm doing it, then I hit my stride and by the end I feel great.

amberfocus

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »
I think this is just a case of running calculators not applying equally to everyone. I struggle to see how I could run a HM that fast.

The calculators are presuming appropriate training for each distance. If you can run a 5K/10K time of X, and the calculator is predicting a half/full marathon time of Y, that does not mean that you will be able to run that predicted half/full marathon time right out of the gate. That is your potential time, but you have to bring it out with training first. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can massively improve your half-marathon time into the neighborhood of those calculators, but it's gonna take time. Heck, you probably have a Boston qualifier in you if you're willing to put in the work.

I'm sorry to hear about the IT band issues. That was one of my first running injuries too, and it took me out for a while. Heart, lungs, and muscles train up fairly quickly, but joints, tendons, and bones take much longer to adapt to the stresses of running. If you're getting injured, it means your body is not yet ready for what you're putting it through. Respect your body and your limits, and back off until your injury heals, or you'll suffer greater setbacks in the long run. Focus on cardio cross-training and strength work in the meantime. The key to running success is patience.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »

The calculators are presuming appropriate training for each distance. If you can run a 5K/10K time of X, and the calculator is predicting a half/full marathon time of Y, that does not mean that you will be able to run that predicted half/full marathon time right out of the gate. That is your potential time, but you have to bring it out with training first. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can massively improve your half-marathon time into the neighborhood of those calculators, but it's gonna take time. Heck, you probably have a Boston qualifier in you if you're willing to put in the work.

That makes sense. I could see myself theoretically getting that HM time with more focused training.

I'm sorry to hear about the IT band issues. That was one of my first running injuries too, and it took me out for a while. Heart, lungs, and muscles train up fairly quickly, but joints, tendons, and bones take much longer to adapt to the stresses of running. If you're getting injured, it means your body is not yet ready for what you're putting it through. Respect your body and your limits, and back off until your injury heals, or you'll suffer greater setbacks in the long run. Focus on cardio cross-training and strength work in the meantime. The key to running success is patience.

Thanks. Although it was completely self-inflicted due to a combination of ignorance and hubris. I'm doing a better job listening to my body and I've learned that slow runs mean really slow runs. Previously, my "slow runs" were at a perceived effort level of 6/7 as opposed to my threshold runs at 8/9. Now I'm going a lot slower; closer to 7:00/km.

I'm also doing more preventative strengthening exercises to hopefully avoid further IT band issues. Lots of glute exercises - years of sitting in a chair have come back to bite me in the ass.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »
AHHHHHH.  Back in CT and we've been having some 50 something degree mornings with low humidity and topping out in the seventies during the day.  So delicious.  Morning runs are absolutely the best way to start out the day, ideally followed by some yoga, a nice brunch, and an afternoon bike ride. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2021, 10:40:49 PM »
Hope everyone's finding time in the day to run but avoid heat stroke! Today was the hottest day of the week, but since I'm so early in the C25K program, I don't run much at once, and decide it was OK to go.

Week 2 is in the can. Pace is slowly getting a bit faster, but not in a linear fashion. Best pace was next to last workout.

What is improving by leaps and bounds is the amount of minutes continuously running. Cool!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2021, 11:05:07 PM »
What is improving by leaps and bounds is the amount of minutes continuously running. Cool!

This is awesome @oneday!

I have found that running with a friend who runs at a slow but steady pace has been the very best thing for me. I tend to go out too hard and then hurt myself or just gas out. I have a very good friend who subscribes to slow and steady. I run behind her, and we rarely ever stop. I am amazed at the distances I can go, (and even enjoy myself!) when my pace slows way way down.

We have decided to sign up for the Canada Day run at our local ski hill. It will be 10km long with 1,315m of vertical gain (6.2miles/4,314ft.) Thank goodness for the great food at the top. There will be no record-setting paces that day! :D

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »

This is awesome @oneday!

I have found that running with a friend who runs at a slow but steady pace has been the very best thing for me. I tend to go out too hard and then hurt myself or just gas out. I have a very good friend who subscribes to slow and steady. I run behind her, and we rarely ever stop. I am amazed at the distances I can go, (and even enjoy myself!) when my pace slows way way down.

We have decided to sign up for the Canada Day run at our local ski hill. It will be 10km long with 1,315m of vertical gain (6.2miles/4,314ft.) Thank goodness for the great food at the top. There will be no record-setting paces that day! :D

I don't have a running partner. However the app has several "trainers" that provide encouragement along the way. I've chosen Johnny Dead, the zombie. I think of Zombieland's Rule 1 when I am out there (cardio!) :)

I'm imaginging you and your partner like Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas trotting all day long across the plains of Rohan...on an epic adventure!

Running *up* a ski hill! Impressive! You must post about it afterwards!

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2021, 02:56:08 AM »
I’ve been silently following for a while now.  Thought I would start to share to have a group of like minded people.

I’ll share more over time.  But had a great trail run yesterday.  The most enjoyable run I’ve ever had.  Everything just felt right.  This is coming from someone who never thought “enjoy” and “running” would go together. 

I’m training for an endurance challenge next year, so the miles per week have consistently going up over the last ~months.   Getting pretty close to the top end of what I will want to do per week.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2021, 06:31:25 AM »
Welcome Bumbles8, glad to have you with us.

I haven't run all week as I've been trying to tackle a couple of big home projects; one of which is to clean out the garage and do a floor coating. Due to this, my treadmill is in my outbuilding unplugged and gathering dust, lol. I hope to get everything finished up this weekend and kick back in early next week. I still have 21 weeks until my next half marathon, so I don't think missing a few days is going to impact me for race preparation.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and good running!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »

I haven't run all week as I've been trying to tackle a couple of big home projects; one of which is to clean out the garage and do a floor coating. Due to this, my treadmill is in my outbuilding unplugged and gathering dust, lol. I hope to get everything finished up this weekend and kick back in early next week. I still have 21 weeks until my next half marathon, so I don't think missing a few days is going to impact me for race preparation.

The thought of a treadmill fills me with dread. (A dreadmill?) Part of what I enjoy about my runs is exploring the neighbourhood and just being outside.

I also run in loops so that when I’m 5k away from home I can’t just give up - I’ve got to get home somehow, might as well keep running.

We have an exercise bike that I used all winter but when I went for my first outdoor bike ride of the spring it was a revelation. It made me realize how much of a slog the exercise bike had been. I think I’d feel the same on a treadmill.

Do you find it difficult to stay motivated on the treadmill?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »

The thought of a treadmill fills me with dread. (A dreadmill?) Part of what I enjoy about my runs is exploring the neighbourhood and just being outside.

I also run in loops so that when I’m 5k away from home I can’t just give up - I’ve got to get home somehow, might as well keep running.

We have an exercise bike that I used all winter but when I went for my first outdoor bike ride of the spring it was a revelation. It made me realize how much of a slog the exercise bike had been. I think I’d feel the same on a treadmill.

Yes! I watch bands I like on YouTube and I still can only handle 45 minutes. The ones at the gym weren't so bad because I could people watch and listen to music and watch basketball on tv all at once.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2021, 07:24:35 AM »
Outdoor runs are so interesting.

Last night I decided to run in the rain since it’s an easy way to stay cool. I was warming up, pre run, at the corner, when a woman in a car rolled down her window and started clapping for me. (It seemed like a sincere gesture and not mocking or creepy.) I couldn’t make out what she said but it was a nice encouragement at the beginning of a very wet run.

I’ve also been attacked by several birds recently who dive bombed the back of my head and I’ve run through so much of my city that I hadn’t previously seen (#citystrides). 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2021, 10:35:55 PM »
Welcome, @Bumbles8 

Everything just felt right.  This is coming from someone who never thought “enjoy” and “running” would go together. 

I never thought I would like running when I was younger, either. But now I get it.

Bad news, every one. Today my knee hurts. Regretting that I didn't do my scheduled run yesterday and complete week 3 of the program :(

I went on a 7 mile, brisk-ish walk with a friend today, wearing the compression sleeve I usually have on that knee. Was all good. Took the compression sleeve off and sat in the park with other friends for a few hours. Still fine. Later, met other friends for dinner on a restaurant patio. By this time, I'm thinking, "something feels a bit odd." By the time the meal is over, I know there is something wrong. It hurts about a 2 on a scale of 10 and is the tiniest bit swollen. I hope it's just tired/overuse. I've been icing it and keeping it up on a footstool as much as possible and plan to stay off it as much as possible for a day longer than the point that it no longer hurts/feels funny. :(

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2021, 06:19:42 AM »

Over the years that I've been a runner, I've done a good deal of road running, a good deal of treadmill running, and a mixture of both during training. Where I live is rural (not in a neighborhood) and the roads aren't really conducive to running. It's a somewhat narrow, country road with lots of blind spots for drivers...so my wife won't let me run out there for fear that I'll get run over.

I think getting in the truck and driving to somewhere just so I can run outside doesn't make a ton of sense for me either given my schedule, so I really am enjoying just popping into the garage, raising the door up, and jumping on the treadmill to get a run. It allows me more time at home with my wife and son, which is the most important thing to me. Also, we have a Nordic Track with a little 10-inch screen on it. We got a free year of the iFit App. They have programs for different types of running and the videos are recordings with trainers guiding you through various countries...so it's like a "live" experience and it's easy to forget that I'm in my garage. The treadmill auto adjusts incline/decline and speed in order to mimic the terrain the trainer is running, so it's pretty neat...and about the best I can do given the circumstances. It doesn't affect my motivation at all, in fact being at home and just having to go to the garage to train eliminates any excuses I have not to train. It's not as good as being on a nice, open greenway or trail, but I like it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 06:21:24 AM by brandon1827 »

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »

Over the years that I've been a runner, I've done a good deal of road running, a good deal of treadmill running, and a mixture of both during training. Where I live is rural (not in a neighborhood) and the roads aren't really conducive to running. It's a somewhat narrow, country road with lots of blind spots for drivers...so my wife won't let me run out there for fear that I'll get run over.

I think getting in the truck and driving to somewhere just so I can run outside doesn't make a ton of sense for me either given my schedule, so I really am enjoying just popping into the garage, raising the door up, and jumping on the treadmill to get a run. It allows me more time at home with my wife and son, which is the most important thing to me. Also, we have a Nordic Track with a little 10-inch screen on it. We got a free year of the iFit App. They have programs for different types of running and the videos are recordings with trainers guiding you through various countries...so it's like a "live" experience and it's easy to forget that I'm in my garage. The treadmill auto adjusts incline/decline and speed in order to mimic the terrain the trainer is running, so it's pretty neat...and about the best I can do given the circumstances. It doesn't affect my motivation at all, in fact being at home and just having to go to the garage to train eliminates any excuses I have not to train. It's not as good as being on a nice, open greenway or trail, but I like it.
There are definitely country roads out there that I wouldn’t want to run on.

I watched a bunch of videos of people trying to maintain Eliud Kipchoge’s 2 hour marathon pace on a treadmill where you can set the treadmill to hold a specific pace. I’d love to try that. (I’ve tried it outside but I can’t hold a steady pace at that speed so it’s hard to gauge if I’m going fast enough. Assuming that I can even run that fast!)

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »
Week 4: 75.8kg 3r-1.5w, 5r-2.5w (20min) x6 days.
Week 5 goal: 5r-3w (20minx2days), 8r-5w (20minx2days), Non-Stop 20min run.

Week 5 on C25K ramps things considerably... I'm running 6 days, so I get to do the 3 day set twice.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!