Author Topic: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread  (Read 18080 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Run for your lives! The 2021 runners thread
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »
6.8 miles today. Didn't time myself but felt pretty good and was able to run the whole way.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
6.8 miles today. Didn't time myself but felt pretty good and was able to run the whole way.

Nice! I really like the 10k distance.

I haven't been able to make it past 3k on my two runs this week due to knee pain and/or my knee just buckling.

I pushed myself way too hard to go 17k last weekend and now I'm paying the price. I've tried doing stretches and exercises to rehab and strengthen the weak muscles but I think that I just didn't give my knee (IT band) enough time to properly recover. I read about the 10% rule and about other running tips but apparently I just like learning lessons the hard way.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »

I haven't been able to make it past 3k on my two runs this week due to knee pain and/or my knee just buckling.

I pushed myself way too hard to go 17k last weekend and now I'm paying the price. I've tried doing stretches and exercises to rehab and strengthen the weak muscles but I think that I just didn't give my knee (IT band) enough time to properly recover. I read about the 10% rule and about other running tips but apparently I just like learning lessons the hard way.

Ouch! I tend to push through pain and regret it later too, but luckily I've had no knee issues so far. I try to run on gravel or dirt as much as possible to protect my joints.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2021, 09:06:21 PM »
@jambongris everyone is different but I've found the explanation and exercises from this guy super helpful in managing IT band issues and glute medius issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iODncOLJnk) which tied into the exercises my physio assigned me.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2021, 07:13:33 AM »
@jambongris everyone is different but I've found the explanation and exercises from this guy super helpful in managing IT band issues and glute medius issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iODncOLJnk) which tied into the exercises my physio assigned me.

Thanks.

I've watched a few of his videos in the past (including this one) but I've never been a fan of his presentation style. Everything he's saying here is inline with what I've found elsewhere so he's at least knowledgeable as far as I can tell.

I'm doing the necessary rehab/strengthening exercises twice a day so hopefully I'll see some progress if the issue is ultimately my IT band. Giving my body enough time to recover before running again is the hard part right now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »

Thanks.

I've watched a few of his videos in the past (including this one) but I've never been a fan of his presentation style. Everything he's saying here is inline with what I've found elsewhere so he's at least knowledgeable as far as I can tell.

I'm doing the necessary rehab/strengthening exercises twice a day so hopefully I'll see some progress if the issue is ultimately my IT band. Giving my body enough time to recover before running again is the hard part right now.
Oh yeah, he presents like a total bro-scientist but I found working the muscles connected to the IT band really helped with the total leg lock I developed at one point (running on a sprained ankle for months, don't recommend, but it sure does teach you  how everything is connected as you gradually injure up and down the leg)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2021, 07:14:00 AM »
Still slowly but surely plodding along. Got in a short 2 mile jog on Saturday between my honey-do jobs. Glad everyone is sticking with it. Hope all the aches and pains are short lived!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2021, 07:49:11 AM »
6.3 miles yesterday at 10:17 pace, which is a little faster than I've been recently. I went at midday and it was bright and sunny out and I totally forgot about sunscreen because it's been cloudy lately. I need to get a hat to keep my head cool.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »
Don't forget that cycling is a great cross-training exercise for when you need to take a break from running.  And it's a great time of year for that, too.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
Took almost a week off to rest and rehab my left knee. Spent the week doing lots of yoga and exercises designed to strengthen the muscles associated with IT band issues.

I've gone for runs 3 out of the last four days, 3k, 5k, and 6.5k. So far my knee has been holding up.

Here's hoping that I learnt a valuable lesson that I won't soon forget. Slow and steady.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »
Post 6km run - it was pretty cold but clear which was lovely. I still need to work on my workload balance as I'm clearly favouring my right side (which was the ankle I repeatedly sprained) and it's showing up in my left hamstring and glute.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 02:03:13 AM »

I only like a race distance when I run a new best time :D

That did not happen in my last 10k (ran 49 something.... 2 and a bit minutes over my PR), so of course I was cranky and then threw the baby out with the bathwater by desperately wanting redemption.

Cancelled my diary for a 27 June marathon, switched to the 10k option and embarked on a proper 8 week training program. Am now 3 & a half weeks into it and already feel like I am starting to make a bit of progress. (Averaging 50-55k a week, 2 hard speed/interval workouts, 1 tempo 5k run and 3 light runs every week).

The second workout this week (this Saturday) is a 5k time trial, which will set the pace benchmark for the next 4 weeks of workouts. Looking forward to it, and should go close to my 5k PR of 21:55...

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2021, 08:40:31 AM »

That did not happen in my last 10k (ran 49 something.... 2 and a bit minutes over my PR), so of course I was cranky and then threw the baby out with the bathwater by desperately wanting redemption.

I know that feeling. When I started running earlier this year I was trying for PBs on every run. It worked for a while but I eventually accepted that it probably wasn't the smartest way to run. You sound like you're at least being more pragmatic about it.

Cancelled my diary for a 27 June marathon, switched to the 10k option and embarked on a proper 8 week training program. Am now 3 & a half weeks into it and already feel like I am starting to make a bit of progress. (Averaging 50-55k a week, 2 hard speed/interval workouts, 1 tempo 5k run and 3 light runs every week).

The second workout this week (this Saturday) is a 5k time trial, which will set the pace benchmark for the next 4 weeks of workouts. Looking forward to it, and should go close to my 5k PR of 21:55...

Where do you get your training plans? Or do you just develop them yourself?

I signed up for the free Strava trial because I wanted to try their training plan but I was underwhelmed.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »

I don't intentionally do race distances but I live in the country where roads are a mile apart.  My house is .8 miles from the next road in the direction I usually go. So I can do 4.8, 6.8, 8.8, etc. I choose that direction so I can start with an uphill stretch instead of ending with it.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »
How do you cope with thirst on long runs when the weather is warm? Do you just get used to it? Carry water with you? Today it was 80 degrees and I only ran for about an hour and got incredibly hot and thirsty. I did ok in the shaded part but my first and last mile were in full sun and I felt pretty miserable. The last time I got really into running in the summer I had a little guy in a stroller and put the water bottles in the basket.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:21:53 PM by Morning Glory »

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2021, 05:56:33 PM »
How do you cope with thirst on long runs when the weather is warm? Do you just get used to it? Carry water with you? Today it was 80 degrees and I only ran for about an hour and got incredibly hot and thirsty. I did ok in the shaded part but my first and last mile were in full sun and I felt pretty miserable. The last time I got really into running in the summer I had a little guy in a stroller and put the water bottles in the basket.
This is what I’m struggling with too. I brought a regular water bottle on one run and I felt awkward, especially if I tried running with it in my left hand - it was like I forgot how to use my arms.

I think I’m going to try one of those 355ml bottles that come with a grip that wraps around the back of your hand.

I also had someone offer to hose me down as I ran by since they were gardening so now I look out for sprinklers that are spraying into the street and if I see anyone with a hose I’ll kindly shout ahead to them to ask for a spray as I run by.

Also, hydrate a lot before your runs. Not right before, but throughout slowly throughout the day.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »
@Morning Glory Not a practical solution for everyone but have you tried living in an Australian city where there are water fountains in every park because otherwise heat-stroke?

In other places I have used a small running backpack with a water bottle

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2021, 06:42:03 PM »
@Morning Glory Not a practical solution for everyone but have you tried living in an Australian city where there are water fountains in every park because otherwise heat-stroke?

In other places I have used a small running backpack with a water bottle

Public water fountains are still shut down here because of Covid, even now that there are vaccines for everyone who wants them.

I went hiking with a friend a few weeks ago and she had a little sling to hold her water bottle. I could look for one of those. That would be more comfortable than carrying one.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »
Many casual distance runners just find a way to carry liquids with them. There are hand-carry, waist-pack, and camel-back systems that all will do the job if you feel that you need more water on a run. I tried the hand carry method first and it was just too awkward for me. The waist pack system was okay, but it is a bit strange to put on a belt with a couple of water bottles on and then feel & hear it sloshing around as you go. The best solution for me personally was a small 1-liter camelback. It kept my hands free and didn't feel super awkward as I ran. It was also very simple to just put the bite valve in my mouth versus having to fiddle with a bottle of any kind. Try them until you find one that works for you

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2021, 08:51:14 AM »
I should get a camel-back. Are they fairly easy to keep clean or do they get gross after a while?
 I could solve this by just going earlier/later in the day if I had absolute control over my time, but I don't.  A shorter run at midday is better than no run at all.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
I don't find the camelback to be difficult to keep clean...but I only ever put water in it, and drain it after every use. The worst part for me was when it was brand new. I washed it a few times before use, but it just seems to take a minute to get that weird taste out of the hose/valve. You can turn them inside-out, so cleaning isn't terrible.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
Carrying water is rarely necessary here (it just doesn't get that warm very often...) unless you're running for several hours. For marathon training, I'd often plan routes that included just buying a cold drink (and maybe some chocolate :-) ) part way round. When I've done all-day or multi-day runs, where you do need to take some amount of clothing/emergency gear/food with you anyway, backpacks with a camelbak were perfect. Never had any trouble with keeping them clean, but I do tend to leave bite marks on the tube after a while. There is a bit of a trick to getting the water in there without any air, so that it doesn't slosh round on your back, but other than that they're pretty comfortable and I've run long distances in them

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
Our water fountains are back on here, so I've been using those.  Otherwise I'd just wait until I'm finished, but I rarely have to run in weather over 80 degrees.  I go at sunrise during the hottest months to avoid that.

Oh yes, and I run through sprinklers too.  Can you vary your route so it's more shaded the whole way?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:16:37 AM by jrhampt »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »
Our water fountains are back on here, so I've been using those.  Otherwise I'd just wait until I'm finished, but I rarely have to run in weather over 80 degrees.  I go at sunrise during the hottest months to avoid that.

Oh yes, and I run through sprinklers too.  Can you vary your route so it's more shaded the whole way?

Yes. There is a park a couple miles from my house with lots of shade. It seems a bit silly but I could drive there to do my run.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »

I live in the south, where it regularly hits 90-100 F by 12.

To avoid dying of heat stroke, I do my runs at 5 am in the summer. If I sleep in, I keep a bottle of water outside my door that I return to every few miles. When the sun's out, you should wear a hat and sunglasses.

Make sure you adjust your paces for workouts when it's hot. Drop your goal pace by 10 seconds a mile when it is over 75, 20 seconds if over 85, and 30 seconds if over 95.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »

I live in the south, where it regularly hits 90-100 F by 12.

To avoid dying of heat stroke, I do my runs at 5 am in the summer. If I sleep in, I keep a bottle of water outside my door that I return to every few miles. When the sun's out, you should wear a hat and sunglasses.

Make sure you adjust your paces for workouts when it's hot. Drop your goal pace by 10 seconds a mile when it is over 75, 20 seconds if over 85, and 30 seconds if over 95.

Haha, I feel like I'm dying if I'm running when it gets into the 70s here, but I'm still acclimated to 50's at this time of year.  Of course the humidity is usually over 80% in the summer, but still.  I also run at 5 as needed.  Added benefit of seeing the sunrise.

If you have to drive to get to the shade because you can't run at dawn, so be it.  It's not optimal but I totally would do that.  Better yet, you could bike there.  My hot weather routine involves me biking the 1.5 miles to the beach and then running by the water the whole time so I get the breeze, and then biking back.  It adds a little time but not too much.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
Here we go!

Signed up for local 5k (Sept 26th). I have not run since the first snowfall last year, so I'm starting slow - I have my C25k app ready to go and it should get me to a 30 min jog in 8 weeks, after that I'll have about 6-8 weeks to work on my speed. (I'm not a fast runner).

I'm committed to jog/run 6 days a week, at least 20 min.

Is my first ever running competition since high school, my initial goals are:
- Lose 5kg by race day
- Jog/run the whole 5k, no walking.

Grand goals:
- Lose 7kg
- Complete the 5k under 35 min

This week: 75kg, 20 min of 1min run - 1.5min walk.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2021, 02:01:37 PM »
Awesome goals and good luck Epor!

I'm in week 5 of a beginner training plan on Nordic Track. The longest continuous run that we've done so far is 15 minutes. So while I'm doing okay, I'm not really ready to race for any reason other than "fun". My wife works at our City Parks & Rec and they're having a 5K and 10K race this coming Saturday that she talked me into signing up for. I have no plan to run the whole thing or even half of it...I'm just going to do what I can do since this was on short notice. It's been extremely humid lately, with highs into the 90s recently...so I just hope to make the 3.1 miles and call it a day.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2021, 02:25:14 PM »

I'm in week 5 of a beginner training plan on Nordic Track. The longest continuous run that we've done so far is 15 minutes. So while I'm doing okay, I'm not really ready to race for any reason other than "fun". My wife works at our City Parks & Rec and they're having a 5K and 10K race this coming Saturday that she talked me into signing up for. I have no plan to run the whole thing or even half of it...I'm just going to do what I can do since this was on short notice. It's been extremely humid lately, with highs into the 90s recently...so I just hope to make the 3.1 miles and call it a day.
Thank you. I am running for fun too, I'm not looking at placing on top #100 or anything. I'm posting here so I keep track and can see some actual improvement. I checked my own beginner plan and seems similar to yours:
Week 5 day one: alternate 5min jog 3min walk
Week 5 day two: alternate 8min jog 5min walk
Week 5 day three: 20 min jog

Please do keep us posted about your race, 90s with high humidity makes thing much more difficult.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2021, 05:17:48 PM »
Tried to run to a heart rate of 135 after hearing about Maffetone (sp?) on YouTube. Managed 8.5k in an hour at a much slower pace than I’m used to.

Now I have 4 days to run at least 0.3k to get my 100k in May badge in Strava. I’m such a sucker for gamification.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »

Thank you. I am running for fun too, I'm not looking at placing on top #100 or anything. I'm posting here so I keep track and can see some actual improvement. I checked my own beginner plan and seems similar to yours:
Week 5 day one: alternate 5min jog 3min walk
Week 5 day two: alternate 8min jog 5min walk
Week 5 day three: 20 min jog

Please do keep us posted about your race, 90s with high humidity makes thing much more difficult.

I think I've managed to luck out on weather. We had some pretty decent storms come through last night and are lingering through today. As of now, the highs for the race tomorrow are supposed to be in the 60s and then heat back up into the mid-80s by Sunday and Monday. So I won't have high heat as an excuse tomorrow morning, lol.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »
Nice! High 30s here today so back to jackets and gloves! I'm traveling to see family this weekend and hoping to get a couple of short runs in while I'm there.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »
Nice! High 30s here today so back to jackets and gloves! I'm traveling to see family this weekend and hoping to get a couple of short runs in while I'm there.
Similar weather here. Do you use special gloves? I run early morning and my fingers & ears get really cold - but I don't like taking gloves and hat and then having to stuff them into my jogging pants pockets. I know the weather will warm up soon so is going to be a non-issue soon enough - but it would be nice to get a few more days (weeks?) of outside running time next Fall.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2021, 09:12:35 AM »
Similar weather here. Do you use special gloves? I run early morning and my fingers & ears get really cold - but I don't like taking gloves and hat and then having to stuff them into my jogging pants pockets. I know the weather will warm up soon so is going to be a non-issue soon enough - but it would be nice to get a few more days (weeks?) of outside running time next Fall.

Right now I'm using mechanic gloves because I lost my thin stretchy ones and don't want to buy anything right now lol. The jacket I use has zipper pockets so I can put them in there and tie the jacket around my waist if I get hot. If it's really cold I wear my winter mittens, hat, and another hoodie on top of everything. I have a lot more trouble with my hands with biking than running.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2021, 04:07:43 PM »
After running an intentionally slow pace two days ago I really wanted to go hard today. Managed to cut 4 minutes off of my 10k PB.

The slow running, the rehab exercises, and the 25-30km/week seem to really be helping as I didn’t have any IT band issues at all.

Really need to figure out a hydration solution though as I was not feeling great right after the run. (Also managed to get my HR higher than I’ve had it in a while.)

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
I just discovered this thread, it's great to read about all of your experiences.  I've been running for about 38 years and I celebrated my 65th birthday today with an 8 mile run.  I'm a mustachian, the most expensive personal items I buy are always my Sauconys!

I have to say that running seems to be paying off in health benefits - so far, so good.  We've bought the cheapest ACA plan for the last 3 years since we retired a little early, and have never (knock wood) had medical expenses. Now I'm on Medicare with a good gap plan, and I don't plan to quit running for many years.  You don't quit running because you get old,  you get old because you stop running!

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
BTW, Thanks for the parkrun mention.  I had not heard of it before, but it turns out that there a 2 near enough for me to participate.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »
This time of year (late autumn) makes me feel like running more often. I love running barefoot on the beach on firm sand, and usually manage 4-5km 2-3 times a week when I am motivated. If it is sunny, I will have a quick dip in the sea afterwards and feel incredibly virtuous for the rest of the day:-) I only started 3 years ago when I was 51, so it is never too late, though I am the world's slowest runner!

I *never* keep going if I feel even a twinge of pain; I just walk instead, and I do yoga every day, which really helps keep me flexible. It is perfect conditions now (12 C and sunny) so will head out soon.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2021, 02:19:41 AM »
@lazycow that running situations sounds ideal.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
Tracking.

Week 0: ~75kg, waking from a 6 mo winter hibernation.
Week 1: 75.2kg,  1min run - 1.5min walk (20min) x4 days.
Week 2 goals: 1.5min run - 2min walk (20min) x6 days.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2021, 10:56:30 PM »
Yesterday I ran 6 miles at the lake near my mom's house. Today was hiking around the other lake.  11 miles with 42 lb toddler on my back for most of them. There were some small hills so it counts as strength training. Not sure what to do tomorrow.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2021, 07:18:49 AM »
I just ran 5k for the second time, first was on the weekend! It's been at least ten years since I last ran and it took me one month to build up to it. I started out with 2k at the end of April and I've been running three times a week. I'm so happy and proud of myself :)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2021, 08:25:45 AM »
Way to go @PoutineLover !

I did my 5K on Saturday. It was a blustery 55 degrees, so pretty nice conditions for running. I went fairly slow and just enjoyed it...finished around 30 minutes. I was a little sore after the race and a bit on Sunday...but I was good to go as of yesterday.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »
@PoutineLover good for you! I'm right behind you.

Joining! Today I re-started the C25K app for the nth time. I've run 5K's in the past, just never finished the training program. It's my personal challenge, and I hope to achieve it this summer.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2021, 07:11:42 AM »
Still at my mom's house. The terrain is flatter here so I was able to run six miles the other day (the perimeter of the whole town!) at a pace of 10:12.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
BTW, Thanks for the parkrun mention.  I had not heard of it before, but it turns out that there a 2 near enough for me to participate.

Woo hoo! Did you manage to get out to one on Saturday?

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
Park Runs sound like fun. It looks like they’re still shutdown in Canada although there a few in my city that will hopefully be up and running later this summer.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »
Finished week 1 of C25K! I've increased my speed .02% from the beginning to end of this week, lol

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2021, 05:04:58 AM »
Finished week 1 of C25K! I've increased my speed .02% from the beginning to end of this week, lol
That’s moving in the right direction. At that rate you’ll be a whole 1% faster at 52 weeks.

I’ve gone in the opposite direction as I’m learning more about running. I’ve been intentionally slowing down some of my runs. Apparently going all out for every run isn’t a good way to improve. 

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2021, 06:31:56 AM »
Tracking.

Week 0: ~75kg, waking from a 6 mo winter hibernation.
Week 1: 75.2kg, 1min run - 1.5min walk (20min) x4 days.
Week 2: 74.7kg, 1.5min run - 2min walk (20min) x6 days.
Week 3 goals: 1.5r-1.5w, 3r-1.5w (20min) x6 days.