Author Topic: Repossess Wardrobe  (Read 16117 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Repossess Wardrobe
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
I am sick of putting on something and finding it has a hole in it or needs fixing in some way. My wardrobe is full of stuff I don't necessarily wear, but could fix. I have already decluttered it a couple of years ago, and it isn't bulging at the seams, but I may just have increased the percentage of unwearable items.

So I am going to challenge myself. Everything in my wardrobe is going to be examined. If I don't wear it - out it goes. If it needs fixing, it gets fixed. At the end of the challenge everything will be wearable.

Anyone want to join me? I would really appreciate some company in this challenge.

amyable

• Bristles
Re: Repossess Wardrobe
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
I will totally join in this challenge.  I am super guilty of putting something aside to be mended and then just totally forgetting about it.  I've also lost about 15 pounds recently, and while most of my clothing still fits me, since I'm pretty tall, I have a few skirts that just aren't working for my body type anymore.

tracylayton

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »
I am in!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
When does the challenge officially end? I might be interested in participating but it kind of depends on how much time I have.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
When does the challenge officially end? I might be interested in participating but it kind of depends on how much time I have.
How about Christmas?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
Check out zenhabits.net and theminimalists.com and project 333 and the little black dress for 365 days project... All good inspiration!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Me! I actually half-did this last week - went through my work uniforms when I got a new allocation and threw out all the ones that were faded / stained / didn't really look professional any more.

Now to attack the rest of my wardrobe. :)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
My wardrobe is relatively minimalist already but I got rid of a jacket on Saturday and now I want to go through it again to see if I still want it all.

Cookie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
I recently did a major overhaul of my closet and it felt so good to only have things I really love AND look good on me. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized how much I truly got rid of. I wanted to try project 333 and realized ALL of my fall/ winter clothes (minus shoes) add up to less than 33 items! This is a huge success for me as I consider myself quite a fashionista.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:58:35 AM »
Day 1: Mended 3 pairs of trousers. Got rid of some stuff out of my chest of drawers. Discovered a heap of handkerchiefs that I never use.

Had a debate with myself - to toss or not to toss? If one of my goals is to produce less waste, I probably should start using these rather than tissues. Kept handkerchiefs.

Day 2: Washed clothes. When I was bringing them in I noticed a pair of socks had a hole. Mended the hole and a few holes in another pair of socks. Will wear 1 pair tomorrow to see if they need the flick.

ILoveHandbags

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
This is so awesome! Great idea. I JUST discovered my favorite pair of jeans is forming a crotch hole. :( Challenged accepted!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
Can we add to the challenge that all remaining clothing must fit perfectly and be considered in good style?   

I keep looking at my closet with dread for this and postponing.   I guess it is time. 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
Challenge accepted!

Counted my skirts last night: 43 skirts. Found three skirts that are unwearable and need fixes. Have carefully piled them near the TV along with my sewing box.

There is a mysterious under drawer underneath my futon that contains.... Who knows. Perhaps the fact that I haven't had the strength of mind to check under my bed in more than five years indicates that I don't need whatever is under there. Will check this weekend.

I'm thinking of getting my serger tuned up since one of the skirts needs to be fixed with a serger and last time I used the serger it caused a lot of trouble.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
Can we add to the challenge that all remaining clothing must fit perfectly and be considered in good style?   

I am never in style and never have been. I'm pretty content with that. I like my own style. It took much misery in my teens and twenties before I realized that being happy in my clothes was more important than what other people thought of my style.

Besides, I'd have to buy all new clothes and they wouldn't look good on me.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

I am never in style and never have been. I'm pretty content with that. I like my own style. It took much misery in my teens and twenties before I realized that being happy in my clothes was more important than what other people thought of my style.

Besides, I'd have to buy all new clothes and they wouldn't look good on me.

Me too. Fits, yes. In style? Screw that!!!

Cookie

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
I always thought each person defined their own style. I say wear what you like and what you feel good in.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:56:58 PM by Cookie »

Reyes01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
I'm reducing my wardrobe. I am now at 168 total pieces (clothing, panties, nylons, scarves, shoes...everything). I want to get it to 150 and then maybe lower.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
I don't see the point of getting the total pieces of clothing down a lot (I am getting rid of anything that doesn't fit...). I make many of my clothes, and find that making 3 pairs of trousers at once is very time saving and much cheaper because you can usually get twice the fabric necessary for 1 and make 3, and a big reel of thread often costs the same as a couple of smaller reels. So I usually have more items of clothing than I need - but they take years longer to wear out. Unfortunately they tend to wear out all at once!

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »
The changing of the seasons seems like a good time to go through the closet.  Because of a fibroid tumor, I've put on several inches at my middle and there's so many items that don't fit.  Did a major purge last week and sent a bagful to the thrift store.

Then moved on to shoes - anything that's too uncomfortable (I swear my feet have grown in width and a full size last year), beyond repair, or just never worn goes out the door.  I took my favorite pair of suede and leather shoes that needed a new sole to the shoemaker.  Hey presto - $25 dollars later and I have a comfortable pair of shoes that look new.

I've also done clothing swaps with friends just to get something different in my closet and to accommodate my rapid change in weight. 

Finally, just to add - with winter coming, unwanted coats and other cold weather gear are in high demand by organizations who distribute them to people who desperately need them. 

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:35 AM »
I love this!  I've gotten to a good (minimalist) place with my clothes, as I've gone through my wardrobe probably 5x in the last two years, ruthlessly culling, and I so appreciate this challenge.

Something I found really helpful, was to think about how the clothes fit into my life ...as it is.  So, if a piece of clothing is perfectly nice and in good shape but I don't wear it because for some reason the cut isn't totally comfortable?  Get rid of it.  If it's a nice piece of clothing, but I don't find occasions to wear it, or wear a different (skirt/dress/pants) as my go-to?  Get rid of it.  Basically, doesn't matter why, even if the reason isn't logical, if I just don't.wear.it. - why keep it?  I definitely knew which clothes I hadn't worn in the last 6 months, but you can also do this looking forward, as well.  Just turn all your hangers in one direction, then anything you hang up later (after wearing), you turn the hanger the other way.  This way, at the end of the season (when you would reasonably expect to have worn the clothes during), donate everything that you haven't worn.  I have gotten rid of a ton of clothing so far, and there's only one piece I regret (as in, if I saw it today, I would re-buy it).

I also culled items I had many of, and things that weren't stylish or well-fitting.  For me, I had a ton of big & comfy sweaters that were pretty damn unflattering (and some similar sweatpants).  Now, I know myself, so I didn't get rid of everything because I like to be comfy and don't really give a damn what others think, but I also wanted to remove the temptation to dress like a slob always, and make it easier to be comfy AND well dressed.  And it's working well.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
This morning I finished making my first bra (it has only been under construction for several years - probably at least 5), and I fixed 2 bras, threw out a few, and fixed 3 pairs of underpants. Now I need to wear them all to make sure they are comfortable.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »
I'll join in this! I finally cleaned out my closet into stuff that is wearable and stuff that I need to fix to wear. There is a gigantic pile of unwearable, needing mending stuff on my dresser now.

But, last weekend I repaired holes in two sweaters, hemmed a pair of jeans, and made a pair of boot cut work pants into straight leg. I am making progress, and just need to keep it up. How amazing it would be to be able to wear everything in my closet.

Related to this, I am going through and ironing everything. There are dress shirts I haven't worn in years just because I've been too lazy to iron them.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:34 AM »
Got into a bit of a bra making frenzy - and now I have 4 new bras that I have made from scratch. My bras now look so much better - when I hung them on the line they didn't look like a bunch of rags! I have thrown out two more decrepit ones, and am thinking about the last one - it has one underwire in it that sticks into me when I wear it. I could take the underwire out, or get rid of the entire bra - what do you think?

I have thrown out all the t-shirts that don't fit or have holes in or are stained. I have pulled out all the jumpers that need holes repaired, and have found darning wool to match. The chest of drawers looks rather empty.

I am going through the shirts to fix any holes. The trousers are all done - they have been fixed (some needed new elastic, and some needed the seams reinforced).

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
I'd throw it out. I've taken underwires out of bras before thinking that would fix the problem, but they don't really work afterwards. A bra without a wire is constructed differently to a bra that used to have a wire in it.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
I'm in: I've been going through my wardrobe/clothes for the last few months.  Funny how I still have to argue with myself over some items I hate with holes.  I do find  with stuff I can't let go of, sometimes a few weeks later it can go. Just did that with a perfectly good pair of white sandals  and a scarf which I will never wear.

I've pretty well packed away most of  my winter clothes now.  I did this so I could see what I have to choose from more easily. At the end of the month, I go through things again, finding new things to wear as the weather warms up. I've also got things that have been hanging around for years unworn and collecting dust: so I'm either chucking, but if keeping I have to wash them before putting them back: I do not need more clothes than I can maintain!

I have had 2 prs jeans and a top sitting around to mend for a couple of months- so I'm hoping the challenge will get me onto it.

I recently mended a bra for the umpteenth time: underwires kept coming out at the front…..mended it really well this time and the dang things came out the back. So I chucked it. Deborah, I've tried taking the underwires out, but found things were a bit jiggly-floppy. But as they say YMMV.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »
Done, 1 pr jeans re-hemmed. They will take the place of the pair of pants with holes in them that I threw out

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
Threw out some shirts with stretched-out misshapen necklines.

I have a couple of shirts with tiny holes near the belly (probably from getting caught in jacket zippers). Anyone has any solution for fixing them? Shirts are in otherwise great condition, and I would hate to throw them out for tiny holes

This happens to me a lot. Usually a shirt I wore while cleaning. The area of holes lines up with countertops, where I use strong cleaners or rub a lot while reaching for the back corners or carry items next to my waist ( e.g., while sorting through storage)

They become work clothes and I try to wear my heavy apron next time.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 03:14:46 AM »
It has been a bit disheartening. Yesterday, I found three petticoats and 2 pairs of underpants that I started making for myself a number of years ago (for those of you who remember Knitwit, you may be able to tell how many years it is). These were all unfinished, although I had spent a considerable amount of time adding lace to the edges and cutting it away just so. I don't wear petticoats any more - haven't for years. So there was no point finishing them. Out they went (I was ruthless). The underpants just needed the leg elastic (already cut) attached, so I put them next to my sewing machine to finish TODAY.

This morning I looked at the pants. They look a bit small I thought. And yes. They won't fit any more. So they need to be thrown out too. Anyway, junk reduction is progressing.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 03:23:29 AM »
I used Knitwit books for Textiles when I was in year 10!

... in 1984. :P

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 03:32:13 AM »
No, it wasn't that long ago.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
According to the KnitWit site, the chain closed in 1993. I'm not sure that is entirely true, as I remember the one in Ivanhoe being open after the chain stopped.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
I am sick of putting on something and finding it has a hole in it or needs fixing in some way. My wardrobe is full of stuff I don't necessarily wear, but could fix. I have already decluttered it a couple of years ago, and it isn't bulging at the seams, but I may just have increased the percentage of unwearable items.

So I am going to challenge myself. Everything in my wardrobe is going to be examined. If I don't wear it - out it goes. If it needs fixing, it gets fixed. At the end of the challenge everything will be wearable.

Anyone want to join me? I would really appreciate some company in this challenge.
I actually just discovered project 333 not long ago and have been getting into minimalism so cant really join as I've already pared down my wardrobe but wanted to add a tip, have you tried placing a bag/bin inside your closet or near so that any time you are getting dressed you can just toss an item in that you come upon that needs to be fixed?
I had that system for a while and it helped

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »

I have a couple of shirts with tiny holes near the belly (probably from getting caught in jacket zippers). Anyone has any solution for fixing them? Shirts are in otherwise great condition, and I would hate to throw them out for tiny holes

Very little?  Try nail polish.  I did after figuring it works for nylons. Bigger?  Sew the rip up.  Bigger?  Can't help you.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »

Very little?  Try nail polish.  I did after figuring it works for nylons. Bigger?  Sew the rip up.  Bigger?  Can't help you.
these omnipresent tiny t-shirt holes are a mystery to me. What the heck causes them?!?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »
I know!!! Belts!!!! Or at least this was the problem for me.
There are three ways around this:
Stop wearing belts - but then your pants need to fit perfectly
Start tucking in your t-shirts (generally looks a but smarter anyway - this works well if you have a fancy cowboy style belt buckle as then you can just tuck the shirt in at the front, but not at the back)
Get a belt with as flat a buckle as possible where the thing that goes through the hole in the leather is hidden behind the buckle. (A skate belt would also work the same way).

And yup, that bag of "fix" sitting in my closet is coming down to my parents house this weekend - challenge accepted!

I have a system - if it's broken and useless I pop it straight in my bathroom bin (ensuite), if it's broken and made from cotton or similar and I walk it straight to the kitchen and pop it in the rag bin under the sink, if it needs mending it goes in a plastic bag at the bottom of my closest, if it needs to go to the charity store it goes into a plastic bag under my bed, too be dropped off next time I am heading that way The downfall of the mending bag is ofcourse it tends to hang out there for months at a time. The other downfall to this system is stuff that totally doesn't work for me (i.e. so I never pull it out because I never need it) doesn't get identified, but I do sorta flick through for things I haven't worn for a while now and again and ask myself why. But overall it's better than what I was doing before.

I still have too much clothes due to the lack of overlap between my categories, but they are mostly in regular rotation (or at least getting worn 1-2 times a year, in the case of stuff like super fancy dresses and coats), suit my current style and fit me.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
these omnipresent tiny t-shirt holes are a mystery to me. What the heck causes them?!?

Bra hooks.  Plus other hazards, but I have far fewer now that bras go into a tight mesh (not open mesh) laundry bag.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
No progress on my mending as my Screen Printing took longer than planned. On the upside screen printing my player number on my sports uniforms (rather than paying to have it done professionally or buying those expensive iron on ones) saved me $60 :-)
Will have to tackle the mending bag next time I am at my parents house.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
No progress on my mending as my Screen Printing took longer than planned. On the upside screen printing my player number on my sports uniforms (rather than paying to have it done professionally or buying those expensive iron on ones) saved me $60 :-)
Will have to tackle the mending bag next time I am at my parents house.
Well the screen printing was part of the challenge anyway, as it made your clothes fit-for-purpose.

I am of two minds at the moment. I am really happy that my chest of drawers has vaporised - yes it has mainly got almost empty drawers, and everything in it is wearable. Fantastic progress!

However, my wardrobe is another story. Although some progress has been made there too. But it is getting me down. I keep on looking at all these bags and wondering what to do with them. It is amazing how many I have. I turfed a lot out, and still have an enormous number - at least I think I do - two shelves worth. The trouble is that they are all in good nick, so it is silly to get rid of them (the ones that weren't have gone). And I don't use bags - but sometimes I do - when I have all these little things to carry, or when I am visiting my parents. Most of the bags were given to me as presents (I rarely buy bags). And if I throw them out, I will need them in a week.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
I've been procrastinating about darning my jumpers (I think US calls them sweaters) that my mother knitted for me. So I have decided that they have a knitting group in the library every Thursday, and this Thursday I will go and darn my sweaters. I don't knit.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
Shoes...

Judging by conversations I've overheard over the years, I don't have many - especially when you take my clothes shopping habits into consideration.

I used to buy work clothes once every 4 or 5 years. I'd go out, buy a five outfits (generally mix and match, and in the same colour scheme) including several pairs of shoes. Then I would wear these items until they became unsightly for the office, and I would restart the process. Because the colours of clothing available changes each year, buying all the shoes at the same time meant that I still had the right coloured shoes towards the end of the period, and they wore out when the clothes wore out. Generally there might be one pair of shoes and one outfit that lasted longer, and this would be worn until the shoes or the outfit wore out, so I might have a couple of other pairs of shoes in the wardrobe.

About 10 years before I retired, I changed to black or blue runners, as I had changed to trousers and jackets, but I still had some recently acquired black and blue shoes to match. And I had 3 other pairs of shoes for other outfits.

Now, 15 years later, I still have 7 pairs of shoes in pretty good condition (most are "as new" but with dust - the heels and soles don't even look used). Three pairs should go, as their outfits have also gone in my clean-up, but what of the blue and black ones? The last time I wore a pair of shoes was a couple of years ago in a fashion parade.

What should I do with these shoes?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
I am just about finished! I have two tops that I need to decide about. Three shirts to mend. Four jumpers to darn. Two jumpers to wash. And that is it! I decided to keep two pairs of shoes - one black, one blue (yes they are dressy). Should be finished this week!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
Did not go through everything, but threw out 10 business shirts that I haven't used in over 5 years.

Next gotta throw out some of my 15 year old t-shirts and shorts. I think I've skipped 9 of the last 10 changes of fashion. Prolly time to "get with it"    :P

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »
I'm hesitant to join because Christmas seems too close to be the deadline! Yet, I know that I could totally do this in just a couple of visits to my closet.

I've been avoiding/dreading this for years. Gained weight/lost weight/had a baby/gained more weight. ugh! Seems like now is the time! I'm in...its hard to get rid of clothes that you like and are hoping to fit again someday, even if it has been 7 years since the item actually fit <sigh>.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 03:12:22 AM »
I'm hesitant to join because Christmas seems too close to be the deadline! Yet, I know that I could totally do this in just a couple of visits to my closet.

I've been avoiding/dreading this for years. Gained weight/lost weight/had a baby/gained more weight. ugh! Seems like now is the time! I'm in...its hard to get rid of clothes that you like and are hoping to fit again someday, even if it has been 7 years since the item actually fit <sigh>.
Would you like a deadline of 1/1/2015?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:45 AM »
Did not go through everything, but threw out 10 business shirts that I haven't used in over 5 years.

Next gotta throw out some of my 15 year old t-shirts and shorts. I think I've skipped 9 of the last 10 changes of fashion. Prolly time to "get with it"    :P
I'm sure that MMM isn't about following fashion - anyway, if you keep anything long enough it comes back into fashion!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »
Oh, woe is me, I've just discovered I forgot about two drawers of winter tops! Actually, they shouldn't take long to go through (they are small drawers), because I fixed most of the winter tops during winter - the only thing is I think I kept some that really need to be turfed.

However, I went to the knitting group at the library today, and I think I have darned all the holes in my jumpers, except for the elbows in one (which are completely gone, but I fixed the ladders from the elbow holes. I then washed all the jumpers (while washing I think I discovered another hole) except the one with the elbows, and SO has found some leather that I am going to make elbow patches out of.

So, two drawers, two tops, elbows in one jumper and fix three shirts - should be done by the end of Saturday.

JoanOfSnark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 03:31:14 AM »
I've been working on this for a few months, since I had to fit all my clothes into half the space for my girlfriend to be able to move in... a few weekends ago I finally took a few hours and demolished the whole ikea bag of mending I had accumulated over the years! All that's left now is to patch my favorite jeans and add side panels of jersey to my dad's old leather jacket, which I have to buy the specific fabric for.

Another fun side-project that came from this was refurbishing gf's purse- the top flap was punched leather at one point in its life, but since kind of... tore along the perforations and looked pretty shabby. She loves the size and amount of zippers and pockets and everything, so I ended up cutting the top off, sewing in a seperable zipper, and am in the process of making her a bunch of new top flaps from all the fabric I'm finding either by clearing out my craft stash or through clothes that have reached their wearable-lifespan. This gives me a good project for all the scraps, a nice christmas present idea, and her the ability to have a million different styles of purse without needing an entire closet to hold them all!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:38 AM »
Wow - that is fantastic JoanOfSnark!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »
Would you like a deadline of 1/1/2015?

That would be great! But only if I'm not hijacking your challenge! haha!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 07:33:09 PM »
Got a date with mum this weekend and we are going through my mending stash and unfinished projects together :) I am having a sleepover too so it's gonna be fun! December turned out to be a busy month do not much forward progress was made.