Author Topic: Repair one thing each weekend!  (Read 20796 times)

enigmaT120

• Bristles
Re: Repair one thing each weekend!
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
I wish I could get down to just one thing per weekend.  I just finished a timing chain change on my BMW motorcycle.  I think that was about 15 hours; last Wed.,  Sun., and yesterday. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
Whew, I finally have something to contribute to my own thread!  I fixed my bike brakes which had gotten squishy.

Wow, really makes me think about how much time I spend maintaining my things yet not improving them.

Mike2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Puma Plow Productions
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
I need to paint the final coat on the cover for my water shut off and hang it back up.  I have been putting it off for about a month.  I'll do it tomorrow night.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
DH fixed the reel mower today when it broke.  I got most of the mold/mildew off from the shower.  Still have a long to do list around the house, but at least that's one thing down...

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
DD and I replaced the heater core on her 2000 TJ, starting Friday after work and finishing Sunday morning.  It started on the first try afterwards. Which I consider a major accomplishment after removing the entire dash and unplugging about 200 electrical connectors and cutting several wires from the aftermarket stereo.  Even better, we did it well before the weather turned cold.

positronic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
I think I need to get in on this. I've got a little bag full of to-be-mended clothes in the closet and it bums me out every time I see it.

I've got a head-start on this weekend as I just finished mending my husband's shorts pockets. We've got four days in a row of 80 degree highs coming up, and that was the motivation I needed to fix one of his only two pairs of shorts!

I'll have to do some brainstorming to figure out what else needs fixing around here once I'm through with the clothes mending. (I may end up needing to do the shorts again since I didn't do a great job this time around.)

Good idea! =)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
Oh man I feel guilty for not keeping up with my own challenge.

I got a nice polo shirt from a thrift store that had a teeny tear near the placket.  Could have left it alone and been fine but magically had thread in a matching color and now it's unnoticeable.

Had a cheap skirt with a torn underlining which was a quick fix so now it's a bit nicer to wear.

I want to tailor some old men's t-shirts into something more fitted and I made some preliminary passes at that.

I darned another sock. I had been darning with some yarn that came to me free but was a brightly contrasting color to the socks which I thought would be fine but they're kind of nice dress socks and I realized I would be less happy if all of them looked like that (silly since nobody sees it, but still).  So I ordered some black yarn with an Amazon gift card I got from Bing and have been waiting on that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:19:47 AM by sheepstache »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Oh also, I put this on the "small thing you did today to save money" thread but I should include it here.  I had a nice pair of khakis that got retired to be paint capris when they got old.  They split across the back so I cut out some fabric from the ankle (since they're rolled up into capris now) and patched it.  Sure, I have some old carhartt's that are about ready to be retired to paint pants, but these look cuter :)

Btw, am I the only one who looks at capri pants and thinks, 'why would you waste money on half a pair of pants?' Get a pair of pants and roll up the legs and then you have an item of clothing that's more flexible.  Or take an old pair of pants and turn them into capris (since I think we can agree capris are never going to be nice formalwear), particularly if they're out-dated flare legs or something and you don't feel like tailoring them.

Anyway.  Anyone repairing anything today?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
A little late to the party, but here's what I have done:

February - July
- Bled brakes on bike
- Replaced knobbies with slims
- Fixed punctured inner tube which happened while replacing knobbies
- Replaced so-called fixed inner tube due to slow leak which developed from patch

August
- Updated diet website (opendiet.net found in my signature)
- Wrote blog article for personal blog

- Pressure wash fence
- Stained Fence

- Painted front porch

September
- Did a half sole repair on Birkenstock sandles (3rd repair to them in 3 years, cost $75 in material but I'll get 4 years out of these at least and have enough material to repair another 10-20 times, depending on the number of half sole's vs full sole replacements)

- Diagnosed the problem with the rice cooker.  It was a major part that I can't find a replacement for :-(, basically the heating element in it.

- Desk Drawer (this took 3 months of being shelved) converted to a fold out keyboard tray.  Only need a wrist rest to complete.
- Diagnosed Garage Door opener (external keypad, dead battery)  Sadly, still cannot program the one in the Bimmer to work, but tried again this weekend to no avail.
- French Door (okay, a contractor is doing this) sat in the garage all summer waiting for the contractor.  First major home remodel we had done.  Learned a lot from the experience and hope to use these skills in future.

To Do
- Bike Tune Up
- Write letter to City complaining about rose bushes running amuck on the road I ride every day.
- Test seat in car for why it won't lean back (motor, cable, switch, something else?)
- Fix wireless Garage Door Opener when battery comes from Amazon
- Finish reinforcement of bike trailer (using wood to construct an internal frame instead of relying solely on the cloth for support.)
- PVC Bike rack (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm) for garage
- Rearrange items in garage to improve room and usability.

I'm sure I'll add more later, but this is the list as far as I remember it.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
Since moving I have done a lot of mending, most of which had been lingering for years. Still have a pair of pants to hem, a dress to hem, a dress to repair the sleeves of (or give up on), and two shirts to make small tweaks to however....just need a night in and I will tackle those! I've done one hem recently so I know it's not actually as time-consuming as I think it is.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
This challenge inspired me to make a forum account.  I am guilty of putting off needed repairs even though I enjoy DIY.

For February, I will: re-hang the towel hook in the bathroom, re-hang the shoe hanger in the entry way, darn a shirt and several pairs of socks, finally hand wash the delicates that keep piling up. 
As a bonus: I will reduce my "unwearable" delicates or start machine washing them because they are wasting my time sitting unwashed and unworn.

For something that got me to join the forum, I have done an awful job keeping updated on it.  In the past 7 months, I never re-hung that damn shoe hanger and the towel hook has more issues.

However, since my first post, I:
-Darned and mended a bunch of socks
-Hemmed a free pair of pants
-Re-sewed the corner of a re-usable grocery bag and reinforced handles
-Changed my car's oil and filter
-Changed head and tail lights
-Replaced the valve cover gasket on my car
-Replaced collapsing vacuum hose

This weekend, I will:
-Throw out socks that are now beyond repair
-Re-hang that damn shoe holder, I mean it!!!  It's only been 7 months
-Find a fix to landlord's dumb idea to hang heavy hardware from dry wall and not mount to the stud...

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I repaired the smashed screen on my old iPhone 3. I purchased the part from an eBay seller for $10 including the little tools and shipping, and it took me less than 15 minutes of my time. I managed to lose one microscopic screw, but the phone still works like a new one.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
Black wool came in and I darned two and a half socks!

Was looking for ideas about how to patch a collar that was falling apart and found these awesome instructions for simply flipping the collar around.
I have it flipped and pinned but unfortunately I'm still just not comfortable with sewing along a path with my sewing machine, so I think I'm going to spend several hours hand-stitching it over the next couple days. Which is silly because it's an old work shirt that's also out at the elbow and is too close to falling apart entirely to be worth the time investment.
I'm using the opportunity and a free amazon prime trial to re-watch the John Adams miniseries, though, so hand-sewing does make me feel like Abigail Adams which is cool. Always be batman; unless you can be Laura Linney, then always be Laura Linney.

Quote from: ChransStache on September 19, 2014, 03:26:34 PM

For something that got me to join the forum, I have done an awful job keeping updated on it.

Ahahaha, I missed that the first time. Yes, forum proselytizing, yesssss.

Update: No. I totally noticed the first time, what I missed was that I'd already noticed and celebrated it. Celebrated it the same way, in fact.
This challenge inspired me to make a forum account.  I am guilty of putting off needed repairs even though I enjoy DIY.

Yes, yessssss, more converts...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:51:27 AM by sheepstache »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
Got my bike trailer enhancement done, but haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin.  Looks nice though, sits flush up to the foot area without encroaching on it.

Bike has been tuned a little, should probably do a more thorough tuning.

Garage door now opens with code from outside.

Garage is reorganized, feel so much better.  Just one change made all the difference, and helped in doing my other projects.  Moving the workbench from the side with our only car to the side with the bikes.  Now I have 10ft of room without having to take my car out.

PVC bike rack is on the list for this weekend.  Plan to use my bike trailer to go buy the parts.

Stachesquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
Yesterday- Friday afternoon (then evening, and almost night) changed front rotors and brake pads in early 2000's Hyundai. Rims stuck on rotors, then pads stuck in calipers, then rotors stuck on car but worked through issues with tablet next to me catching the house wifi using youtube tutorials to show me the tricks of getting things separated.  I had prepped well and had all the tools and supplies ready, the curve ball was everything seized together had to be muscled/coerced apart. 

It's a real eye opener to see how inexpensive this was ($100 for 2rotors, 2 sets of brake pads, and that was choosing relatively high quality parts not the cheapest options online) compared to paying mechanics for the same work on cars in the past.  Test drive down a long quiet road showed everything was done properly.

When the 'out for delivery' spark plug wrench arrives today via USPS I'll do the tune up and have the car ready for another year of very occasional use.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:57:17 AM by Stachesquatch »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2014, 12:53:29 AM »
All the car repairs are impressive!

If you're joining the challenge late, I think you get 52 weekends from when you join, so everyone doesn't necessarily have to be done by the end of this year. But it's up to you. Bon chance!

Finished the collar work started last weekend during the week.

A shirt of mine has...I don't know what they're called, little straps on the inside that you can button the loose end to a button on the outside of the sleeve to keep the whole thing rolled up. Well, I don't need them and it looked stupid hanging out when I didn't use them so I just unstitched them. Easy.

One of my t-shirts has stretched out and is now way too boobalicious. (Mustachian problems: clothing doesn't shrink in the drier because I don't have one.) Tried shrinking it with boiling water, but no improvement that I can see. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

I'm particular about wallets so when I finally found one that was exactly what I wanted but had an extra flap with an ID window, I figured I could just remove that. Two years later, I finally did it. And re-stitched the hem with some cool contrasting thread. Now it's much thinner!

My flashlight stopped working last month so I went through the troubleshooting procedure a company representative sent me and let them know the results so now they're sending me a replacement part.

Somewhere, on some thread, someone mentioned their mending basket and I really liked that idea and it inspired me to organize all my sewing projects so I could have one too. Found some that were never going to happen and threw out, ordered supplies for some others.
This involved consolidating and re-arranging some other things so I now have a dedicated area for books I'm in the middle of as well as an area strictly for library books. I'm a grazer, so in total this is a lot of books and really helps me put my hand on what I want at a given moment.

Oh and if counting small errand-type things, I sent off my sign-up for free life-insurance my credit union offers. And State Farm asked me to send back a letter confirming I don't want my account de-activated--I only use it for the free turbotax so there haven't been any transactions for 18 months--and I did that too.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
We sealed the holes in the fieldstone part of our foundation (small patch of the house) so mice will hopefully not get in anymore.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Oof. Well, I repaired a cute dressy barrette that had some fabric coming loose.

Mostly I spent the weekend cooking out of primitive animal instincts triggered by winter coming. My freezer is about to explode from pumpkin.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »
Old thread, and it's not the weekend, but I like this as a near year thread!

I finally finished all my mending last night--including the silly faux fur attachments of my winter coat's hood! Tonight is supposed to be used for the month's project in the january cure, and mine is to finally spackle and repaint some small dents in the hallway incurred during move-in, so I may do the first spackle round tonight...they are minor, and sanding/re-painting can't happen til the spackle has dried, so should be manageable to get started!

Any others out there?

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
I haven't posted here before, but I remember reading it and being inspired.  So I've been trying to fix things.  This weekend it's going to be some arm hole sewing.  I just discovered the rip this week when i was folding laundry. 

Thanks for inspiring me.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
Cool, I'm in! Have some things ( mostly simple ) to repair & REALLY tend to procrastinate on these sorts of things. Mostly clothing ( off the top of my head ). Repaired a necklace last week & have since worn it everyday!  And so easy! Anyway, this is the perfect challenge for me :)
Also doing a couple more gauntlets. Decluttering 365. Massive declutter . lifechanging magic of tidying up. Use up all food in house. Also trying out "project 333".

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »
What I learned from a year of this is that I have too much stuff. Before I could get through the projects I'd originally planned, I was having to fix other things that had broken or worn out in the mean time.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
Fixing things does take some of the shine off of buying new ones! It's like a reminder that nothing stays new and spiffy forever and also that maybe we shouldn't have new things when we fall behind on maintaining what we do have.

I was able to spackle/retouch my walls last month, now aiming to buy some superglue to repair a broken hook in the bathroom and a roommate's mug and the other sundry breaks/chips that gorilla glue is a bit too unruly and slow-drying to handle. Also need to DIY install a new ($20) shower rod so that I never have to have the bath curtain fall on top of me again. I find that doing home-focused stuff in a small way redirects my energy from consumption.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
I need to join this challenge! I have so many things to fix around the house, but some of them are pretty major (for me) and I don't know where to start.

To Do list:
Fix front exterior light. It's on a motion sensor which used to flicker a lot so I never used it. Now I think it doesn't work at all.
Fix railings for front steps. Safety issue. Important, but I have no idea where to start.
Fix hole in house siding.
Fix broken glass brick in a small wall.
Finish building steps for deck.
Install garage door seals.
Replace battery in car.
Repaint wall above stove.

Will add more as I remember

Done!
Mended a few clothes and altered a dress.