Author Topic: Repair one thing each weekend!  (Read 20797 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Repair one thing each weekend!
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »
Being cheap, I say, "Oh, I don't need a new x, I can repair what I have."  But then, being lazy, I don't get around to doing the repair. 

That means I either don't use the thing and it's just taking up space in our small apartment.  Or it's still usable but doesn't provide me with as much utility as it should, causing me to waste time thinking about whether I should buy a new one.

If you haven't repaired any of your chosen things by the end of the year, you're never going to!  Just junk it and stop worrying about it.  If that means you have to buy a new one, do it.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Repair one thing each weekend!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
Oh, and personally, I'm tackling my wardrobe.  No more waiting until that one weekend when I'll pull the sewing machine out and do all the repairs at once.  I'm going to get through one item a weekend and the enjoyment of being able to use the repaired item during the week will hopefully motivate me to keep going the next weekend.  By the end of it, I'll have given up on some things I thought I could save and have a definitive list of what items I actually need replacements for.

This is part of a larger gauntlet inspired by the minimalist wardrobe thread.  A secondary gauntlet will be to reduce the "only wear at home pile" by 50%.  I, uh, kind of have a problem where my cycle of clothes goes: Good enough to wear for work and nice occasions.  Time: 3-4 years.  Then it drops into the at-home/casual pile.  Time: whatever the half-life of cotton is, because now I'm almost never wearing it.  Then there are things I want to baby along because they're favorites.  Or the sunk-cost-fallacy clothes.  Or the free t-shirts with logos on them I'll never wear but keep around because once or twice a year I need to paint at work.  I don't take action because I'm telling myself I'm frugal and because I hate wasting time thinking about clothes, but if I just put a bit more effort in, I'll actually save myself hassle in the long run.

TL;DR: my wardrobe is bigger and more complicated than my boring dress sense can justify.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Good challenge!

I have two simple repairs to do: 1) The little cover for one of the fridge shelves has been broken forever.  Just need to glue it and put it back where it goes 2) sew a button on my yellow cardigan so I can wear it to work.

Total time for both should be about 15 minutes, 10 of which will be gathering the needed supplies.

OK, 3) Repair the shop door.  I tried replacing the hinges a couple years ago, but it wouldn't shut properly once it was rehung.  Got frustrated and have been tying it shut ever since.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
Thanks for this, I have a button to sew back on a pair of khakis, and I need to locate and sew on a replacement button for my good white shirt. I hope I can find a match in th thrift store pile, but if not I can replace all the buttons from said  thrift store pile.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:59:21 AM »
I just fixed my kitchenaid stand mixer the other day.   $7 for a broken gear and 32 for the grease...sort of a strange breakdown.   But,  I can keep making bread for a dollar a loaf now.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
I just fixed my kitchenaid stand mixer the other day.   $7 for a broken gear and 32 for the grease...sort of a strange breakdown.   But,  I can keep making bread for a dollar a loaf now.

A frustratingly common problem with the kitchenaid stand mixer. I did this repair twice, then sold it and bought the larger model.  No problems so far.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »

A frustratingly common problem with the kitchenaid stand mixer. I did this repair twice, then sold it and bought the larger model.  No problems so far.

I have the pro 600 bowl lift, is that the big model?    This is the first repair in 6 years of use and I do a lot of bread, so I'm pretty happy.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Yay for everybody repairing things!

Today I spot-treated a stained white shirt with straight-up bleach.  Per one of the other clothing threads, clothing quality has gone significantly downhill in our time and this is a neat, pretty shirt from Aeropostale back in the 90s when they actually made nice things.  So once every few years I've thrown it in a cycle with a little bleach, found the stains still there, sighed, then put it back in the closet.   I haven't used straight bleach until now because I didn't want to ruin it, ha!  But what's the point if it's unwearable?  This time it's git 'er done or go home.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
I'm terrible at finishing stuff, but I have put my mind to start a new habit of finishing up and enjoying things, fixed and all pretty. This goes for my home, clothes and the garden. I'll make this a weekly goal instead of saving everything for the weekend.

So, this said, this week I will:
- sew drapes
- repair one pair of kid jeans, one pair of sweatpants, two dresses, a sweatshirt
- repurpose a t-shirt into a top for my little girl
- rewire two lamps
- hang said lamps

Lots of sewing and electric work, wish me luck!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
I have the pro 600 bowl lift, is that the big model?    This is the first repair in 6 years of use and I do a lot of bread, so I'm pretty happy.

Yes, that's the bigger model! It has metal gears where the smaller model has a plastic gear which eventually strips of course.  The plastic gear in the smaller model must make for quieter operation or something.

beanlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
This is a fantastic idea! I should tackle my front door latch (only stays closed when deadbolted now) and a wrenched off the wall towel rack first thing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
This challenge sent me on a hunt to look for that missing button, which I was so sure I'd saved.  I never did find it, but spent about 4 hours going through all of my sewing and craft supplies, sorted, organized and labeled everything, threw away junk, screwed the little tray back onto my sewing table, finally hung a hook that's been sitting on my dresser for a couple months.  In the process I found the Gorilla Glue, so I just fixed the fridge shelf cover, and then ended up moving the lowest button on the cardigan to the location of the missing button, since missing the lowest button probably won't be very noticeable. 

I'm being a wimp with the shed door.  I'll be more into doing that when it's above freezing outside.

hedonismFTW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • PHENOMENAL COSMIC BADASSITY - itty-bitty mustache
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
This is a great idea. People need to keep posting their to-do list though, because I feel like there are probably so many things left undone that I've forgotten! You're helping me brainstorm :D. So far I know:

Sew button on blouse (luckily I know I have the spare still)
Hem pants for SO

No doubt it will grow, as all to-do lists do!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
I love this idea! I have all the same struggles. I also do the "oh one of these days I'm going to mend all of my clothes at once" thing. No more! This week/weekend I will sew up a small hole in the seam on a pair of dress pants, which I noticed last week. Bonus points if I can also find the parts I need to repair our awesome homemade pot rack... I think I might post on here for help with that one.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:37 AM »
Okay time to start prepping for this weekend's project!  Decide what it is and if you need any supplies for it, pick them up on the way home from work this week so you don't have to make an extra trip.  Ask questions in the DIY forum if you got 'em.

ps. Last weekend I decided just bleaching a shirt was sort of weak.  So I also patched a pocket in a pair of pants and while I was at it noticed some seams that needed reinforcing.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
I am going to join this challenge!  This weekend's meager goal:

Glue gun repair the child's fancy (gifted to her) hair clips that are broken.  That is the pile of busted things that is the most in the way and I'd be glad to not look at any more.  Certainly not the most pressing or important though.  Gotta start somewhere. :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
Not too much broken around here, but I can sew on more buttons (I did have to replace all the buttons on that shirt, but the "new" ones look better, anyway). Also need to tighten some drawer pulls and doorknobs.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, people!  If repairs are pressing, obviously those get taken care of.  It's all the little things that could get put off but that would improve your life to have taken care of.

My tae kwon do uniform had some seams coming loose so I repaired those.

Some of the black belts in yesterday's class were being encouraged to buy new ($195!) uniforms if they'd had their current one for awhile.  Fortunately I don't qualify to wear that particular uniform but it seems like it would behoove me to keep mine in good shape. 

Also ordered some leather reconditioner for a shoe salvaging project next weekend.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
I was kind of under the weather this weekend, so I didn't get anything major done.  However, I did clean the wax out of two used up candles that came in glass jars.  The jars have lids with rubber seals and make really handy canisters in my sewing room.  They're nicer-looking than anything I'd go out and buy, and obviously I can see exactly what's in them.  More of a re-use than a re-pair.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
More of a re-use than a re-pair.

That counts!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
This challenge inspired me to make a forum account.  I am guilty of putting off needed repairs even though I enjoy DIY.

For February, I will: re-hang the towel hook in the bathroom, re-hang the shoe hanger in the entry way, darn a shirt and several pairs of socks, finally hand wash the delicates that keep piling up. 
As a bonus: I will reduce my "unwearable" delicates or start machine washing them because they are wasting my time sitting unwashed and unworn.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »
I can't commit to doing this every weekend, because I like to travel, but I will certainly make a concerted effort to work down the "to do" lists and try for 3 out of 4 weekends.  Right now we are unpacking our house (moved the 18th), so that will have to substitute for repairs at the moment.  But, having just moved, we have a lot of things that need doing!  Fix to the closet wall (previous owner screwed into the wall a hanging system, and only found a few studs), fix my dresser (broke just before the move), fix the toilet handle, repair the loose tiles in the bathroom, etc...  And then there is the "want" list - repaint the stairs with leftover paint, repaint the mudroom, etc.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
As a bonus: I will reduce my "unwearable" delicates or start machine washing them because they are wasting my time sitting unwashed and unworn.

I started washing mine in the machine on cold (in a bag) and hanging up to dry.  They might not last as long, but this way they get cleaned.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

I started washing mine in the machine on cold (in a bag) and hanging up to dry.  They might not last as long, but this way they get cleaned.

this! the lingerie bag is so key. prior to using one I basically had a huge pile of tights and bras in my closet that I only wore about once a year because that was how often I was willing to hand-wash them :)

also, I totally failed at my self-assigned repair task this weekend, but I WILL do it tonight! and then pick another one!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »

this! the lingerie bag is so key. prior to using one I basically had a huge pile of tights and bras in my closet that I only wore about once a year because that was how often I was willing to hand-wash them :)

also, I totally failed at my self-assigned repair task this weekend, but I WILL do it tonight! and then pick another one!

I find that lingerie bags don't protect all fabrics equally, but they are great for camisoles or tank tops that tend to get caught on my washer's agitator and stretch if left on their own.  I have been pleased with the hard shelled "bra balls" because I will never ever put in the effort to wash a bra by hand.

My growing pile of "Hand Wash Only" clothes are hand-printed gifts that would make me emotionally upset if they were ruined and lightly soiled clothing that I once thought, "I'll just run this under the tap for a minute," and promptly forgot about.  At this point, I haven't worn the special clothes in so long, they're basically "ruined" for me already.  Might as well wash them easily or give them away and get them off the top of my bureau.  Trying to break the mental hold of it is always harder than whatever the physical task entails.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I love this challenge!

This past weekend I sewed a new pocket into a pair of my husband's jeans that have been sitting on a shelf for months.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:06:59 AM »
I'm terrible at finishing stuff, but I have put my mind to start a new habit of finishing up and enjoying things, fixed and all pretty. This goes for my home, clothes and the garden. I'll make this a weekly goal instead of saving everything for the weekend.

- sew drapes
- repair one pair of kid jeans, one pair of sweatpants, two dresses, a sweatshirt
- rewire two lamps
- hang said lamps

Soo, here come the excuses. I threw out my back and have not been able to sit for almost two weeks, so no sewing on the machine for me. I just fixed one of the dreses by hand, so now only the rest remain!

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »

- sew drapes
- rewire two lamps
- hang said lamps

Soo, here come the excuses. I threw out my back and have not been able to sit for almost two weeks, so no sewing on the machine for me. I just fixed one of the dreses by hand, so now only the rest remain!

Since I promised myself to finish stuff; After I wrote my last post here I read it again, felt complaineypants and up and repaired the other dress, the child sweatshirt and some rain pants (that were not in the original list). So, now I'm at least some ways through my goal list for last weekend!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
This challenge inspired me to make a forum account.  I am guilty of putting off needed repairs even though I enjoy DIY.

Yes, yessssss, more converts...

I can't commit to doing this every weekend, because I like to travel, but I will certainly make a concerted effort to work down the "to do" lists and try for 3 out of 4 weekends.

Wah-wah wah-wah, gauntlet police, that doesn't count! j/k That totally counts.

My growing pile of "Hand Wash Only" clothes are hand-printed gifts that would make me emotionally upset if they were ruined and lightly soiled clothing that I once thought, "I'll just run this under the tap for a minute," and promptly forgot about.  At this point, I haven't worn the special clothes in so long, they're basically "ruined" for me already.  Might as well wash them easily or give them away and get them off the top of my bureau.

This is not my exact situation, but very similar to my feelings.

Since I promised myself to finish stuff; After I wrote my last post here I read it again, felt complaineypants and up and repaired the other dress, the child sweatshirt and some rain pants (that were not in the original list). So, now I'm at least some ways through my goal list for last weekend!

Yes!  The idea of the gauntlet is to do one thing specifically so you don't feel disheartened.  You are doing great!

Everyone, don't forget to choose your items and get supplies if you need to for this weekend.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
Anybody else?  I did a repair on a robe.  The belt was partly torn off and it didn't impact its usability at all, but the thought that I should fix it kind of nagged at me every time I used it and now it won't anymore.

I also got the nerve up to wash a kind of delicate backpack which I was worried about.  It's a novelty I got in Japan and people compliment it quite often.  It was at the point where the grubbiness was messing with its charm, though.  It survived and looks a bit nicer now, but could use some hand scrubbing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Spark plugs (not a full tuneup, though).

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
Fixed a loose jointed desk lamp in my kids room. Also started (ahem) a few other repairs and projects, but have not finished them yet.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »
Alright, I forgot to check in last weekend, but so far I have re-hung the towel hook in my bathroom, repaired and darned a few pieces of clothing and adjusted the flow on two toilets that weren't flushing well.  I met my bonus task of cleaning out some unworn clothes, but there's more I can go through.

I'll need to pick up some hardware to re-hang my shoe hangers in the entry way and get a new gasket for one toilet that still isn't flushing well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
We FIXED THE SHED DOOR!!!

Crap, it was a PITA, so I don't blame myself for putting it off for, umm, 3 years?  Had to cut some off of the edges where the wood got wet and swelled.  But it feels good to have it close and latch now, instead of being tied shut with a rope.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Late to the party:

• Last week: ironed patch on to jeans.
  • This week: Bikes
    • B1: broken fender stay, front headlight switch, dynamo hub (or decide to get a new one), check derailleur cables, chain lube, check and overhaul if necessary: bb, rear hub
    • B2: Attach fenders (have had necessary clips forever!), perhaps attach knobby tires for fun offroading
    • B3: Strip down to frame to send back to manufacturer for fix, order additional spokes for rear wheel, see if I can get replacement case for front light
    • B4: New rear brake cable, check all brake pads, check and overhaul if necessary: bb, front and rear hubs, headset.
    • Kid bike: Can I make this not weight 80lbs? He's three years old and it weighs more than he does!
  • Next week: get amplifier fixed (blowing fuses)

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:26 AM »
Just fixed my pantyhose and my husbands socks, so my goal for the weekend is already fulfilled!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »
Me?  I'm refurbing some boots with leather conditioner to see if it's worth taking them to get re-soled.

If you started at the beginning of the gauntlet, we're 5 weeks in, so you have 47 weekends left to repair things on your do list before you have to get rid of them :)

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »
Hi all, can I join in too?
This weekend just gone I did a bike maintenance course and repaired the bike ready to start riding again. The coming weekend I have planned to rebuild a retaining wall. It was falling over, so I demoed it before it could do any damage, but it's such a big job that it's taken me 6 months to get to this point. I've done the plans, bought the blocks, laid the foundation and called friends to book them in for a busy bee. Dad is booked in for tomorrow to help me get things ready for Saturday- I've never laid bricks before and he's a master DIY-er. So that's my repair job for this weekend.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
We repaired the toilet this weekend.  (Also earlier repairs not yet noted: the furnace!  and my dresser, and the toilet paper holder).

Up soon: Button on my jacket.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
We fixed the downstairs dimmer that made it appear as if we had ghosts (flickering and quite dim).  Not sure how the old owners could deal with it.  Swapped out those four flood lights for LEDs as well.  Wow, it's crazy bright now down there now, so rather than turning on the second switch with yet 2 more lights to be able to see, we can use just the one set of lights.  Should see a bit of saving on our electricity bills going forward too.

What did you repair this weekend?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
How are you guys doing?  This weekend I replaced a broken light plate cover damaged when trying to get a queen mattress up a tight stairs/turn in an old house.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »
I don't need a challenge, I need more time!   Last week I built a temperature control to turn a chest freezer into a refrigerator, turned an old keg into a boiling kettle by installing a ball valve through the side.

Still need to: Change out the wooden supports on the swing set, install new tie rods on the car, build a box for the back of the van that turns it into a camper for our summer camp/road trip, paint a bathroom, and about 16 other things I can't think of right now.

You'd think being a stay at home dad would give me lots of time for this stuff.   But for some reason miter saws and watching 2 year olds don't mix.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
You guys.  This weekend I am going to re-repair the pocket of the pants that I already repaired. 

So, if you are feeling inadequate at this challenge so far, compare yourself to me and feel better.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
Last weekend I finally replaced the sillcock that busted because I didn't unhook the hose so the spigot could drain before it got cold enough to freeze up last winter.  Pain the ass.  I won't make that mistake again.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »
Last weekend I replaced the magnetic clasp of my handbag.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
Me?  I'm refurbing some boots with leather conditioner to see if it's worth taking them to get re-soled.
Best leather conditioner is 50% neatsfoot oil (from Walmart or your shoe repair store) and 50% lanolin.  Get one oz of lanolin from your local pharmacy.  Buying online is very expensive with shipping.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
made and hung up dark curtain bedroom
fix hem for 1 pair dressy pants
cut kingsize mattress pad in half and make 2 twinsize pads
add an elastic to a skirt

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 01:22:33 AM »
Fixed the noisy ceiling fan in our bedroom... not so much fixed it, as stuffed some pieces of foam in between the fan and the ceiling to keep it from wobbling.  It's helping the the no A/C challenge, though.

i_am_the_slime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:53 AM »
Oh boy, this thread should've been mine!  I've got a 4 month old though, so that's caused me to put off quite a few tasks.

-Put up baby gate (deadline:  when she starts crawling...soon!)
-Replace door handles in baby's room (took them off to paint, didn't put them back on!)
-Paint door trim in bathroom (scratched to hell by our dog - I sanded the damage already but need to paint)
-Paint kitchen cabinets (sand, prime, paint....40 hours of work?)
-Paint trim in kitchen
-Clean leaves from the roof
-Fix outside water pipe (burst last winter when it froze...my fault)
-Re-route cable line in crawlspace so we can move furniture
-Power wash deck/fence and seal

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:28:42 PM by i_am_the_slime »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
Fixed my dryer recently, or rather I figured out the fix and ordered the parts but then my husband took over the repair--not uncommon around here. But it works. I'm using it less now that it's summer, but socks and underwear are a PITA to hang.