Author Topic: Reducing time online  (Read 7627 times)

DrSweden

• Stubble
Reducing time online
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
I have a goal to reduce my time online. It is easy for me to spend very much time in front of the computer. I sit by an computer alot during the day and as well in the evening. I want to reduce this time and do other things instead. I want to read more books and fix things around the house. It is very easy for me to get stuck in front of the computer until it is time for me to go to bed.

Strategy:
-No checking facebook before 2130 in the evening. I go to bed around 2200 which leaves 30 minuts of facebook and talking to friends a day
-No push mail to my phone.
-Look up stocks, read the news and so on at breaks at work so I don't have to do it in the evenings.
-Find things to do instead of being online. I think this takes some time getting used to.
-Track my progress in this thread.
-Using internet for doing research and looking up important things is of course ok. I am trying to limit the wasted time online.
-No using the computer, phone when the kids is around (I do this already)

So does anyone else feel they spend to much time online doing unimportant things? Join me in this thread.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: Reducing time online
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I've used a combination of RescueTime, StayFocusd, and just plain staying away from the computer in the past. Also had a scheduled block on my router that cut off all internet at 11:00 PM (for me and the kids).

I tend to surf in spurts, but the best remedy is just getting involved in things to where I'm not interested in surfing. Being too busy practicing Mustachian Badassity goes a long way.

I could probably use to slim down my habits a bit lately.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »
First morgning not checking facebook. I had much more time and did not end up checking my inbox and Writing answers.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
I've been feeling the impetus to do this too.  I have drastically cut down the amount of time I spend on Facebook.  It also is disturbing me that I seem to use online time as my morning wake up routine while I have my cup of coffee.  Maybe every other day I will read a book for a few minutes instead.  Or write/journal (using pen and paper, not typing on laptop).

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
I've been feeling the impetus to do this too.  I have drastically cut down the amount of time I spend on Facebook.  It also is disturbing me that I seem to use online time as my morning wake up routine while I have my cup of coffee.  Maybe every other day I will read a book for a few minutes instead.  Or write/journal (using pen and paper, not typing on laptop).

I have similar feelings to you.  I've been spending way too much time online - this site in particular.  So the other day I came with a plan where I spend say 45 minutes here per day.  I'm not on Facebook or any other social media sight.  Believe me, there are other things i could be doing. 

Basically I haven't been respecting my own time.  Having said that though, I think spending some time here keeps me focused on the $$$.  Not to mention the fact that I Konmaried my closet and dresser and got excited about folding my clothes (this was a first!).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:16:34 AM by pachnik »

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
Maybe we should have an unplugged weekend.  Though that would be tough if at home.  I've done a few unplugged vacations and it was nice.   How about unplugged except for a minimal time limit - one hour total per day or something?   Even that would be tough for me.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
Love this! I work online so I spend a LOT of my time on the computer. I have found though that I waste a lot of time since it's so easy with social media. I have been cutting back a lot though and have already noticed how much more time I have.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
I've been trying to do this too.  I'm not on FB but I waste a lot of time at work and home online just browsing.  I recognize some of the websites I follow are very helpful but I can browse instead of reading every single thing.  I also set an alarm to tell me when to start getting ready for bed.  I don't consider reading a book on my ipad via kindle app online time though.  That's akin to regular reading for me.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »
Don't get me wrong. Internet is a great invention but for me it takes up to much time. My suggestion in a digital detox next weekend. From Friday afternoon(after work) to monday morning we are only allowed 15 minuts of internet each day. After the weekend we will write down our feelings and what we did instead. Is anyone with me?

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Don't get me wrong. Internet is a great invention but for me it takes up to much time. My suggestion in a digital detox next weekend. From Friday afternoon(after work) to monday morning we are only allowed 15 minuts of internet each day. After the weekend we will write down our feelings and what we did instead. Is anyone with me?
15 minutes a day!?  Oh yikes, that sounds tough...  I'm considering it.....
But what about this - if I am working on my creative writing and want to use the internet to research info for character development, does that count toward my 15 minutes?

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
But what about this - if I am working on my creative writing and want to use the internet to research info for character development, does that count toward my 15 minutes?
Hmm.. If you have to work that is ok. I will allow myself to search articles for my research.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »

Okay, I'm in.  I am assuming you mean next weekend - Friday, September 18 - Monday, September 21?

Looking forward to it.  For the last 4 days I've limited myself to 45 minutes per day.  Today was pretty busy, a meeting in the morning, working in the garden after lunch and we've just had our dinner now.  So far so good. 

Cheers!
Pachnik

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Hmm.. If you have to work that is ok. I will allow myself to search articles for my research.
Maybe I can just do it another time (during the week?).  I will allow myself to use Word and to listen to my foreign language tutorial CD's, but only 15 minutes of surfing.  Count me in!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »
I find this thread super ironic.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 12:39:14 AM »
Maybe I can just do it another time (during the week?).  I will allow myself to use Word and to listen to my foreign language tutorial CD's, but only 15 minutes of surfing.  Count me in!

Great! I will reduce internet usage as well during the week so the weekend doesn't come as a chock.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 12:39:49 AM »
I find this thread super ironic.

The best threads often are! :-)

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
Yesterday: Internet at home was out of service. I spent the evening cooking, playing with Children. I read for our son in front of the fireplace when he could not sleep. A great evening.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 02:23:12 AM »
So it is time for a internetfree (almost) weekend. Internet allowed for 15 minuts a day and for doing research.

For me it starts after work today and ends monday morning. This will be interesting.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 05:49:50 AM »
So it is time for a internetfree (almost) weekend. Internet allowed for 15 minuts a day and for doing research.

For me it starts after work today and ends monday morning. This will be interesting.
I'm still in!  It is going to be a little tough, since I've not had time to be online much this entire week.  Will be missing my Saturday morning fix of aimless online browsing.  But oh well!  It will be refreshing.    Anyone else joining in?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »

I'm still in!  It is going to be a little tough, since I've not had time to be online much this entire week.  Will be missing my Saturday morning fix of aimless online browsing.  But oh well!  It will be refreshing.    Anyone else joining in?
I am still in too.  So as of after work this evening, Saturday and Sunday - 15 minutes of internet per day.  I don't have any research to do so strictly 15 minutes. 

Let's log back in Monday and see how we did. 

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
Back online!
I did 15 minuts friday evening, 15 on saturday and 15 on sunday. I realised that 15 minuts online goes by very fast. So what did I do instead? I got som Writing done! Writers block was gone! I played more with my Children and worked out. I read and slept more. It was overall a good weekend and I did only miss internet once (when I saw a friend had written to me on facebook and I did not have time to answer him).

Overall it was a good experience. I will reduce time online in the future as well. How much internet I will allow myself still needs to be figured out. 15 minuts was very Little.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
I'm back also!  I did 15 min Fri eve, about that total Saturday, and don't think I was online at all yesterday, other than to check the weather on my iPhone.   

It actually worked out to be a good weekend for this, my daughter was up very early both days to get ready for her Colorguard competitions, so I made her breakfast and helped her pack her things for the day both mornings.  In my free time I cleaned, read a book, spent time outside.   I didn't really miss being online at all.    I'm going to keep minimizing time during weeknights too.   This seems to have been happening naturally anyway.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
I'm back too.  I stuck to the program of 15 minutes online Friday p.m., Saturday and Sunday.

It felt fine to me and as I said above I had been spending too much time online so had cut it back to 45 minutes per day.  I had a busy weekend: a meeting Saturday morning, helping out my parents and cooking in the afternoon, visiting a friend in hospital on Sunday afternoon.  Would have liked to have done some raking in the front yard but it was too rainy.  So a good weekend and I didn't miss the Internet. 

This was an interesting experiment.  My husband kept making fun of me the whole weekend because of it.  :)

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

Love this idea, I'm in for next round!
Bought a classic (old Nokia) phone last year just to be able cut of "internet in your pocket" when I'm not working. Works pretty well for me.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
I need to do this. I work online, so that makes it tough. Lately I've been telling myself I don't have to respond to every single comment on FB or anywhere else. It's not my job to educate everyone. Focus on what's important.

I need to set a goal for minimal FB checking during the week. Weekends are easy because I'm pretty busy with other stuff then.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »

Love this idea, I'm in for next round!
Bought a classic (old Nokia) phone last year just to be able cut of "internet in your pocket" when I'm not working. Works pretty well for me.

I have smartphone, but with no internet. Well I have wifi but that is only at home. It is strange how some people cant even ride the bus without checking fb.

Lets do Another internet detox next weekend. I work for 24 hours and usually browse in the deadtime but I can bring a book instead. Or get some Writing done!

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:50 AM »
Time for a new Digital Detox Weekend. From friday after work (1700) to monday morning 0600 only 15 minuts of internet each day! Will anyone join in?

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
Haha, wasn't online in time to see this. Guess I had a Detox Weekend by misstake. Great days with the kids with minimal internet time! Love it. How did you do?

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 06:15:38 AM »
Haha, wasn't online in time to see this. Guess I had a Detox Weekend by misstake. Great days with the kids with minimal internet time! Love it. How did you do?

Haha, well not as good as you. I was on call for 25 hours at the hospital. I overdosed on caffeine and internet. It was better on sunday. It is hard to stay away from the internet when you are in front of one all the time. I will need to try again this weekend!

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
Great, I'll join you.