Author Topic: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016  (Read 22505 times)

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
I hope it's okay for me to start a less-ambitious version of the "No Clothing Shopping in 20xx" thread for the other beginners around here. I don't think I can realistically buy no clothing for a whole year, and a great many posts in that thread ended up being of the confessional variety ("I bought such-and-such today and here are all the reasons it was OK"), not that there's anything wrong with that; it just may not be useful info. Since a lot of us probably track our spending/use budgeting software, we'll be able to measure our progress with concrete figures and share what strategies worked. I personally plan to re-look at my numbers on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Past Year:
Looking at my Mint account, I've spent $324 in 2015 on clothing and shoes. I'd like to cut this in half, just as practice in being less consumerist. I think I had a hard time turning down good deals, to the point where there's many unopened  pants/shirts/socks/underwear/shoes that I'm not touching until my current stuff wears out. This is partly why I'm pretty optimistic about being able to spend much less next year.

Plans:
1) Since only 6% of my spending was done at Goodwill (the rest being online, mostly Amazon), I'll shop only at Goodwill for the month of January. As a bonus, I usually love the things I buy there since I tend to be pickier than I am with new clothes.
2) This one's a little weirder. I generally set price alerts on Amazon items, and consider buying them only after the price has dropped to the level I set. To reduce the number of alerts I receive, I just bulk-edited all of my alerts to be less than the lowest historical price on amazon. So I should be tempted less going forward.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
Re: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
Congrats! $324 is a pretty good place to start!

I set a $500 budget for myself in 2015, and for 2016 I'm cutting that in half to $250 ... it's not easy, but I agree that shopping at Goodwill makes it more fun because you can look for those special gems.

A few months ago I cleaned out my closet and started a "capsule wardrobe," which has made the shopping limitations a lot easier. I love everything I have, and I am only tempted to buy things that fit into the existing framework. It means I'm more likely to wear clothes out sooner, and I'm motivated to buy higher quality items when I do shop, so I'm not sure if my $250 budget is realistic, but I'm excited to try!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
This gauntlet is exactly right for me :-) it would be unrealistic for me to spend $0 (if nothing else, I know I'll need shoes and bras at some point) but my goal is to only buy super useful items that serve a definite purpose in my wardrobe, and to spend less than 2015. I'll go over my 2015 spending in the near future and work out exactly how much went on clothes and shoes.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
I have posted this in Goodwill thread, but I think it works here better

Goodwill is too expensive for me, I buy on Craigslist, or free.

For myself I only buy underwear, bras and socks brand new once a year or two at a retail shop and using discounts and sales. The rest of clothes, if I want to mix-up my wardrobe, I get second hand for free from Craigslist. I'm skinny, so I fit into teen girls clothes perfectly and those are getting thrown away constantly. Teen girls don't want used clothes, which means they have no resell value and I have no completion when they are available for free. I have tons of clothes since I haven't changed much since I was 19, everything still fits and looks great, at that age I was buying quality. My secret is to have tons, so each items gets worn rarely and needs to be washed rarely, that way everything lasts pretty much forever.

For my kids I get very cheap or free, also quality clothes, that I resell after they are done with also on Craigslist for the same price or even more. I have a woman (found her on Craigslist) that I have bought clothes from for my son for the last 6 years and 3 years ago I found one woman who buys those boys clothes from me after my son is done with them. So this arrangement even saves me time on finding the seller and the buyer. I meet with them at around same time each year, we know the drill, it takes no time. So my son's clothes/shoes, snow pants, coats don't cost me anything, I end up making money on selling the items.

I would like to find the same arrangement for my daughter's clothes, but haven't found it yet. So her clothes take a bit more effort to find and then resell, but are also free to me. Similar to me, my kids have a lot of clothes, so each item is worn rarely and therefore in excellent shape for the resell. I only budget about 50$ a year or two for my underwear, bras and socks. Shoes for me are a different story, I do get some for free, but most of my shoes are very high quality, expensive shoes  that last for very long time and cost some money. I do buy them on deals and sales, and pay about 50%, but I see that as an investment for many years. I usually don't budget for shoes annually, since they last more than 5 years and rarely I buy a new pair.

Overall my budget for clothes/shoes, socks and so on for 3 people is max 50$ a year. Since there are so many nice clothes in their wardrobe I have never heard them say that they want me to buy them more clothes.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
I have tried the no clothing shopping gauntlet in 2015 - very unsuccessfully.  Clothes are my weakness!!! I do not need any new clothing, shoes or underwear/socks in 2016 (unless my weight changes significantly), so I will do my absolute best not to buy anything.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
As a runner, this is a little tough for me because I'll need new running shoes every couple months. I'm open to ideas on ways around that.

CynthiaL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm in!  I tried a no spend on clothes for 2015 but couldn't cut it.  2016 I think I will only need walking shoes at some point and underwear as well, so I will budget $100 for the year. 

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
I am in.  I have failed miserably these past two years in the buy nothing challenge.  I start out ok and then buy one thing and then another and then give up.  So I will try this one.  I love clothes, shoes and a good deal. Lots of thrift shopping etc.  I know we will need to replace shoes as my husband works in a factory and walks a ton and we both exercise and need running shoes replaced.  I will set a budget yearly of $500.  Thank you for starting this. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
I am in - planning for a stretch of no-buy for 2016.  I have been on a "uniform" plan with work, and that is going well.  I lost almost 20 pounds and purchased 4 pairs of pants and 2 suit jackets this week - because some of my pants are literally falling off me (even with a belt). Purchased one pair of jeans and leggings at Target for the same reason. I am looking for a new job and needed at least one suit that fits. I bought a couple of my standard go-to blouses as well. So, I think I am pretty set in terms of work, workout, and leisure clothes for the longish term. Biggest potential problem is that my bras are basically on life support and most of them are horribly uncomfortable (both regular and sports bras). I am a weird size that isn't available at Target or Kohls or other cheaper clothing stores... so I am stuck with expensive bras from Nordstrom. Trying to hold off and just make-do at this point for at least the next several months.

2015 was much better than prior years in terms of clothes purchased, and 2016 I think will be more of an improvement. Being more thoughtful and having a plan (uniform) has helped tremendously. Aiming for at least a few months of no-buy (until April or so) and then assess needs, hopefully continue the no-buy.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:50:34 AM »
I cannot do a no buy but I have been doing a very low buy for a few years now.  I will join in because this year I would like to add in a few pieces. I am fickle with clothes and get bored easily, however, I don't want to go overboard and want to add things I really love and work for me as opposed to just looking cute on the hanger.  I think I will set a budget of 500 to include shoes and clothes.  That should be reasonable I think.

I really would like to make 2016 a very low buy year.  I need to break the cycle of spending. It just feels I do okay but once I start spending, it is a downslide from there so I need to really get away from it as much as possible to break the "spell."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 07:17:15 AM »
I'm in too.  As another runner, I know I'll need to buy a couple pairs of shoes, but everything else should be minimal to zero.  I'm very happy with my current wardrobe and don't see any odd events on the horizon that would require clothes I don't already have.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
Another runner chiming in. I'm doing a no-clothing year (started Oct 1), but running shoes are excluded from my ban. I have 3 new pairs in the box waiting (got an awesome Black Friday deal - 3 pairs of last year's model for the price of one new model). That might get me through the year, but if not, I'll definitely be trying to get a deal!

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
I was somewhat successful cutting down last year, so this year I would like to reduce by 75%.  I have no luck at Goodwill, better luck with consignments and big sales.  Very proud of my KonMarie folded T drawer.

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »
I'm on board with the same runner's caveat: I will need new shoes and a few new pairs of running shorts this year, but beyond that, I'm not buying any clothing until 2017.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »
I've always loved thrift stores and rarely buy new stuff. Now that I've killed my recreational shopping habit, I hardly spend anything on clothes.

New shoes are the only challenge. I need new work shoes soon and might also need some running shoes within the year... worst case is $100-150 total. I'll probably keep it to $50 for clothing.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
I had "shoes" in the title, but in my mind, running shoes fit a different category, similar to gym memberships or exercise equipment. I'm mainly wanting to address the excessive clothing spending from which I get that drug-like rush and replace it with impulse control (or at least thrift stores where the damage is tiny).

As for spending less on running shoes, I have 2 pairs of those fugly Vibram FiveFingers which I bought for $30 and $40 during online sales. The uppers have held up really well, and I don't think the rubber soles wearing thin is a problem, since thin soles are kind of the point. So if you were open to those, that's a possibility. I think for these types of purchases where you know you will have to replace them eventually, it's better not to wait until the moment you need them and have to pay high prices - I just keep an eye out for sales online and stock up then.

Good luck to everyone!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
I had "shoes" in the title, but in my mind, running shoes fit a different category, similar to gym memberships or exercise equipment. I'm mainly wanting to address the excessive clothing spending from which I get that drug-like rush and replace it with impulse control (or at least thrift stores where the damage is tiny).

As for spending less on running shoes, I have 2 pairs of those fugly Vibram FiveFingers which I bought for $30 and $40 during online sales. The uppers have held up really well, and I don't think the rubber soles wearing thin is a problem, since thin soles are kind of the point. So if you were open to those, that's a possibility. I think for these types of purchases where you know you will have to replace them eventually, it's better not to wait until the moment you need them and have to pay high prices - I just keep an eye out for sales online and stock up then.

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, that is not a problem with me with running shoes.  I absolutely hate shopping for them since they change the models so frequently.  I wish I'd bought a dozen pairs of the New Balance Minimus shoes I liked before they quit making them.  I have some Five Fingers but I'm not a big fan of running in them.  I might feel differently if I had nice soft dirt or grass to run on, but on pavement I seem to need a little bit of cushion.

Pretty pleased with myself in that I've been in Marshall's TJ Maxx, Ross and Gordman's  in the last two days looking for curtains and things and have not bought anything to wear.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
I love this gauntlet! I'm in. The no-clothes-2015 was a bit too full-on for me. It triggered some of my poverty/scarcity mentality that I'm so prone too and I had to drop out.

I'm trying to remember what I bought in 2015:

- 3x surgical bras (this is more of a medical expense, but it's still clothing)
- 2 loose tops (again, another medical expense because I needed loose tops after surgery)
- 3 x summer pyjama tops
- 2 x men's pyjama shorts (SO GOOD)
- 1 x men's pyjama shorts (less good, gave them to DH to wear)
- 2 x winter pyjama tops (another medical expense - needed looser tops after surgery)
- 1 x light weight dressing gown (shouldn't have bought this, didn't get worn)
- 3 x new socks
- seondhand sandals
- 1 x gray skirt for work
- 1 x black winter jacket from City Chic
- 2 x work shirts

So yes, I think this gauntlet will work for me. I plan to only buy (new or secondhand) a few pieces of clothing that I love and will wear a lot.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:39:08 PM by Astatine »

Jschange

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 09:08:28 PM »
I wear through shoes and clothes like crazy. So I can't do a no shopping year. But I currently have everything I need. So I'll challenge myself to only buy replacements in 2016.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »
I wear through shoes and clothes like crazy. So I can't do a no shopping year. But I currently have everything I need. So I'll challenge myself to only buy replacements in 2016.

I will also do this, replacements only seems a good goal

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
I am in as well - minimal purchases (Goodwill where possible and meet every criteria otherwise) for 2016.  I spent 2015 buying a few key pieces to complete the capsule wardrobe and address most of the gaps, so now I should be in replacement clothing territory.

Known expenses:
Boots will need resoling at some point.
Bra will die.
Shoes to replace ones that died last year - I tried to do without, but "summer non-flip flop" is too broad of a gap while working.
Tailoring on a few items I don't want to mess up.
My statement necklace died and is beyond repair (8 years old from Claire's, well served).  Been on the passive lookout, but might have to turn that to active lookout come summer dress season.

Personal clothing gauntlets:
-Hem jeans
-turn wedding dress into a skirt/hem a bit (will also solve my last gap in skirts)
-finish tailoring t-shirts to be a bit more fitted: learn how to do the back seams rather than side
-take two identical too-tight dresses and use fabric from one to fix the other (love the top, bottom too form fitting)

I am on two mailing lists (seamly.co and Brass - both very transparent with their processes) that I consider "vote with your dollars" spending should they produce something that is my style, fills a gap, and I absolutely love.  Ethical clothing only gets produced if people buy it.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
I'm in. I set a budget of $300 each for myself and my DD (DH can make his own budget). I will likely need a new winter coat, bras, and cross training shoes. I'm also hoping to get pregnant in 2016 and depending on the timing, may also need some new maternity clothes. DD's budget could be lower but I have a weakness for cute little girls' clothes.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Loving this challenge! In the past two years I divorced and started dating again (which meant $$$ on clothes) AND started a new, professional job in a different climate (more $$$), so 2014-2015 included a lot of clothes shopping using a high-interest store-specific credit card. It's taken awhile to pay down, but it'll be completely paid off Friday!!!

In 2016 I plan to:

*take current clothes to a tailor for alterations, take shoes/boots to a repair place
*shop for accessories at consignment/thrift stores
*buy kiddos' clothes second-hand -- their dad and his wife are major spendypants, so they get lots of new clothes as gifts
*only new purchases will be unmentionables, gym clothes and shoes, all probably bought at an outlet

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
To stop a shopping spiral, my wife and I set a no-clothes-shopping rule for for the last quarter of 2015. It went extremely well, and now we're extending it to 2016.

We're adding in a little wiggle room to make the goal achievable, but the biggest thing is that we're both absolutely 100% cut off from shopping for fun, with "shopping" very broadly defined. No reading lifestyle blogs or magazines, no fashion Instagram or Tumblr, no idly surfing stores online, no going to mall for fun--nothing that makes us believe we need a bunch of crap we don't need. We're both super susceptible to getting sucked into fashion-as-a-hobby, but neither of us think it's the best use of our time or money.

So the goal is this: Once we've identified something we need, we sit on it for a few weeks to see if the need persists. Then, we buy it without fanfare. No spending hours hunting for the best deal (that's how we get sucked in), no extensively researching the item in question. Go to the store, head directly for item, bring item straight to register, pay, leave.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
So the goal is this: Once we've identified something we need, we sit on it for a few weeks to see if the need persists. Then, we buy it without fanfare. No spending hours hunting for the best deal (that's how we get sucked in), no extensively researching the item in question. Go to the store, head directly for item, bring item straight to register, pay, leave.

I think this is a fantastic approach!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
To stop a shopping spiral, my wife and I set a no-clothes-shopping rule for for the last quarter of 2015. It went extremely well, and now we're extending it to 2016.

We're adding in a little wiggle room to make the goal achievable, but the biggest thing is that we're both absolutely 100% cut off from shopping for fun, with "shopping" very broadly defined. No reading lifestyle blogs or magazines, no fashion Instagram or Tumblr, no idly surfing stores online, no going to mall for fun--nothing that makes us believe we need a bunch of crap we don't need. We're both super susceptible to getting sucked into fashion-as-a-hobby, but neither of us think it's the best use of our time or money.

This is exactly what I realized I need to do as well to stop the spending spiral.  I have tried doing it month to month but that doesn't work so in 2016, I am setting some strict budgets for all categories.
I have made it a challenge for myself. It is amazing how it all adds up.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »
Yikes. I just looked at YNAB for our 2015 clothing spending: $2,000! For two people! I'd guess that maybe $500 of that would pass a shit test with me right now (replacing irreparably worn out items, building out a work wardrobe, etc.).

I'm gonna say a $500 budget ought to be plenty for 2016. Aside from the standard new bra/underwear, I should need very little in 2016 aside from a heap of tailoring projects (which cost nothing but supplies). Wife will need walking shoes and maybe some work clothes, depending on where she ends up this year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
Mint says my 2015 clothing spend was $538, but I think there are a couple missing transactions, so let's call it $700.

I'm hoping to keep it to $200 this year, but that will depend on how inexpensively I can get running shoes.  If I end up paying like $80+ for each pair, I'll bump the total budget to $300 to give myself a little bit of leeway.  Need to remember to rotate through all of my jeans so I don't wear out my best looking dark wash work jeans.

Still tidying and reorganizing my wardrobe, which is reinforcing that. I. Do. Not. Need. Anything.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
Still tidying and reorganizing my wardrobe, which is reinforcing that. I. Do. Not. Need. Anything.

When I was trying to break a bad spending spiral earlier this year, I took everything out of my closet and laid it on the bed. Holy crap did that exercise wake me up!

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 06:20:31 AM »

When I was trying to break a bad spending spiral earlier this year, I took everything out of my closet and laid it on the bed. Holy crap did that exercise wake me up!

I did this as well, at the change of the seasons. Everything went on the bed, and only the clothes that I love went back in the closet. Everything else was sorted into a donate or 'keep for now' pile. The 'keep for now' pile was stuff I wasn't sure if I wanted to part with. It went in a blue bin at the back of the closet - if I haven't needed a piece out of the bin by the time I change the closets around again, it will go in the donate bin.

Somehow it's nice having less option to choose from! I didn't expect to like it!!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I made it through 2015 buying only two pairs of gym shorts and a pair of flip-flops. The flip-flops replaced a pair that broke and living in Florida flip-flops are everyday wear. The gym shorts were a throw-in on a pair of Rollerblades I bought wife for Mother's Day at Sports Authority, which always has those $25 off $100 purchase coupons. Sure, Rollerblades could be bought used or on Craigslist, but that's tough when you're buying for someone else and she's not there to try them on.

What I learned in the no-clothes challenge is that it forces you to wear everything, consider everything you have. You purge a lot, which is good and realize how little you wear, also good. But by going a year it does accentuate glaring holes in your wardrobe. For me it's a lack of suits and sports coats. I don't need many given my current work, but having lost 20 pounds several years ago, nothing fits.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 05:16:38 AM »
I'm definitely joining. I think it's a good thing to say 'reduce' and not spend nothing. I don't foresee me really needing anything this year so I will try to not spend anything but maybe I'll need some pants for work or something. I will live by the  slogan of “use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without” and will add 'buy secondhand' on the end. I can only replace things I really need. So no replacing a blouse when I have 5 others.

Let's do this!

I spend 1040€ last year and 1350€ the year before. OMG. I know I bought a few real quality items and some really good eco fairtrade basics that were worth it but still WAY too much..  It adds up... I just don't need anything and certainly not for this amount of money.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »
The best thing about last years challenge was just forcing me own up to what I spent in 2014.  Over $1k it turns out but if you'd ask me to guess I would have said $200-$300.    So no clothes shopping at all was good for me as i didn't recognize that I was leaking money that way.   In that sense I reduced down to $28 (2 trips to the cobbler) in 2015 and now I'm moving on to other categories in my budget. 

I remain really glad though that I did this challenge which also resulted in me closing the last of my dept store credit cards.  So while I won't be joining this year I hope everybody gets as much out of it as I did.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
This is a good option. I tried the no clothes shopping thread last year but couldn't do it. I am definitely in for reducing. I am shooting for absolutely nothing until April and than I have set a self imposed limit of $500 for the year on shoes, clothes and accessories.

I have also just organized my closet and did the Konmarie thing. It's so happy in my drawers and closet now. I actually don't want to bring anything new in, I just purged a ton of crappy quality stuff.

So far so good, nothing bought for 2016 to date.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
I realize we're only 20 days in, but how's everyone doing so far? Those after-holiday sales are tempting.

The kiddos got money from their grandmother for clothes and necessities, so we went to a high-end kids' consignment store and got new wardrobes for them (for only ~$50 each), plus slightly used but wonderfully purple winter boots for Thing 2.

I bought (hangs head) a scarf for $2 that I thought would match one of my coats, but alas, it does not. Spent $16 to have two pairs of quality shoes/boots repaired. Otherwise, I've stuck with the plan. Nothing new.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
Nothing new for me so far.  I will need to add some tops and shoes but will do it mindfully throughout the year. I definitely need dress shoes but I will see if I can hold out on tops and work with what I have. New tops are more of a want instead of a need.

So far, so good.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
I might not have mentioned that I'm following this thread but I will now.

The past couple weeks have been a nice shift into realizing that I won't be buying any clothing this year- forcing me to sew more, mend things as they break rather than put them into a never-ending mending pile, do other things as appropriate. I've been working out 6 days a week and I am kind of regretting only having one sports bra and one pair of leggings, but I'm sure I'll be able to get through the year. I've only had one sports bra for the past 3 years and it's been fine.

My exception is I'm allowed to spend all the $$ I need on sewing notions (already have plenty of fabric), in order to sew whatever I find lacking in my wardrobe. Already been creating a list, though the two things I finished this month (a dress and a skirt) haven't needed anything.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
Doing great so far!!

I NEVER go to a mall, and I have all 'alert' type emails turned off, so I'm faced with very little temptation. Joe Fresh is my weakness, since it's in the grocery store, but I've switched to a MUCH cheaper grocery store, so there has been 2 benefits to that decision!

I actually started at my clothing ban at the start of October, so I'm now 4 months in!

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
I spent way too much money on clothing in 2015.  We pretty much finished paying off student loan debt, and I went a little crazy.  I was originally on the buy nothing thread, but that did not work for me, so I'm setting a $200 clothing budget for 2016, including socks, underwear, shoes, etc.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »
This is the longest I have gone in a long time without shopping. At this point I'm not even tempted, but it's cold and it's winter.

My biggest problem will be spring change of season, I'm hoping that I will be on such a roll I won't want to stop. On to February clothes shopping free!

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 05:07:13 AM »
This is the longest I have gone in a long time without shopping. At this point I'm not even tempted, but it's cold and it's winter.

My biggest problem will be spring change of season, I'm hoping that I will be on such a roll I won't want to stop. On to February clothes shopping free!

I find the end of the current season to be worse than the changing season! By the 5th month of winter, I'm so sick of my 'winter' clothes and feel that pull to buy something new.

As soon as it's spring, I pull out my spring clothes from storage under the bed, and it's like having an all-new wardrobe! :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »

I find the end of the current season to be worse than the changing season! By the 5th month of winter, I'm so sick of my 'winter' clothes and feel that pull to buy something new.

As soon as it's spring, I pull out my spring clothes from storage under the bed, and it's like having an all-new wardrobe! :)

Yup, me too. Working with a sort of capsule wardrobe really works for me. I don’t really have a capsule wardrobe like some people with only 33 items per season because the weather changes a lot in one season, but I do put away all the clothes that are not suitable for that season. If a new season starts (not a specific date, but when I feel like the weather changes) I go through my clothes again and some things can be put back and that way I feel like I have a new wardrobe.

I bought some Salomon outdoor trail shoes for 9€ (secondhand but in very good condition, maybe used a few times). I don’t need them so I was hesitating to buy them but my friend said yes when I asked him and he is a good bullshit detector.. ;) Normally they are 150€ so they were really cheap and I can use them hiking and running. I was looking for kids clothes for presents but noticed these and they were exactly my size..

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »
Pretty floral tops and fresh clean white sneakers......I'm dreaming of them. 😊 Winter blues.

Instead I went downstairs, climbed on my treadmill and ran three miles. If I'm going to wear my same old clothes maybe I can have a hot new body inside of them.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »
Pretty floral tops and fresh clean white sneakers......I'm dreaming of them. 😊 Winter blues.

Instead I went downstairs, climbed on my treadmill and ran three miles. If I'm going to wear my same old clothes maybe I can have a hot new body inside of them.

Like!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »
Last night I ordered two pairs of running shoes, which should get me through the year since my current pair only has about 100 miles on them.  $132.46 was more than I wanted to spend for two, but I know the model that works, and it was the best price I could find.  So my remaining clothes budget is going to be $167.54.  I'm really enjoying my wardrobe right now and actually thinking about getting rid of a couple more things. Really haven't been tempted to shop except for those odd moments with the advertising machine tries to hijack my brain.  I'm actually aiming for zero spend, but I like having an allowable budget so I don't feel like it's all or nothing and I've failed if I buy a pair of socks (which are the very last thing I need). 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 05:12:06 AM »
So far I've spent $14 on thrift store clothing for my DD. She grew faster than I anticipated and was short on tops.

Nothing for me yet, although I do need to replace my black flats so I'll probably do that in the next few weeks.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
Cross-posting here to commit to not doing any more clothing shopping this year. Some weddings planned but I'm sure I have outfits for these, and definitely have enough. After doing really well in 2015 I shopped a lot last month but I am considering my wardrobe now fully updated, with some pruning down and refining left. I can still get rid of more but don't need to bring anything else in, unless it comes through swaps (also useful for grabbing stuff that can go to thredup...). Don't need shoes either unless a good sandal opportunity arises in summer.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
I want to see how long I can go this year without buying anything except running stuff.  I know I'll need some sports bras and a couple more pairs of running shoes.  So far I've bought 2 sports bras that were on clearance (I only wear a particular style of a particular brand) and a pair of running socks (necessary, but not planned).

I'll also need regular bras but have a gift card I'm saving to use on those, so I'm not counting them.

What's amazing to me is that I don't consider myself a big shopper, but I've encountered numerous occasions when I would buy something, or at least consider buying something.  Apparently I'm more of a shopper (or at least window shopper) than I thought.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 08:39:31 AM »
I want to see how long I can go this year without buying anything except running stuff.  I know I'll need some sports bras and a couple more pairs of running shoes.  So far I've bought 2 sports bras that were on clearance (I only wear a particular style of a particular brand) and a pair of running socks (necessary, but not planned).

I'll also need regular bras but have a gift card I'm saving to use on those, so I'm not counting them.

What's amazing to me is that I don't consider myself a big shopper, but I've encountered numerous occasions when I would buy something, or at least consider buying something.  Apparently I'm more of a shopper (or at least window shopper) than I thought.

Sounds like this thread/challenge is doing its job, then :)

I've been unsubscribing from emails from places I shop and that seems to help with the browsing. I also cruise this forum on work breaks/lunch break instead of browsing Target and Amazon online. Keeps things out of my cart and my head in the right place.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »

Sounds like this thread/challenge is doing its job, then :)

I've been unsubscribing from emails from places I shop and that seems to help with the browsing. I also cruise this forum on work breaks/lunch break instead of browsing Target and Amazon online. Keeps things out of my cart and my head in the right place.

I agree, unsubscribing helps a lot.  You don't know you need it until you see it sometimes. I unsubscribed once before but during the holidays, I was all over the place so I have started to begin this process again.