Author Topic: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016  (Read 22509 times)

Jschange

Re: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
I replaced the second pair of shoes. Replaced 2 pairs of leggings and sacrificed the third pair to the 'i had too much' gods. 

I tried on 700 tanktops that wouldn't be replacing anything and don't fit.

And I bought 2 t shirts for the bfg because I am a nice girlfriend, he's walking around in rags, and I got 2/50 after tax, he's never found them below $40 before tax.

Bonus! I got to pick pretty colours. And I got to try them on. The blue one is definitely going to become my favourite nightgown in a few years.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
I'm getting ready to go on vacation to Portland and needed some clothes. I plan to spend lots of time outdoors while I'm there, and just don't have many warm clothes. I resisted the urge to buy lots of stuff that wouldn't get used at home, and since it's already in the 90's here, found what I needed on sale. Hiking socks -$2. Warm hoodie - $8. Two wicking long sleeve t-shirts for layering-$20. That's it. Everything else is cobbled together from what I already own (fashion be damned).

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
I'm trying to "shop my closet" and not buy new things, especially shoes.  I've found some older shoes that I had from several years ago that are very comfortable and go with many things.  The problem is the footbed is getting worn away (since I usually don't wear socks since I'm in socal)  Do you guys know of anything that I can put in to cover/replace so give the bottom of my foot a nice experience?  I looked on amazon and all the inserts have special padding/foam and I just want a "cover".  I hope I am explaining this so you all understand.
thanks
LIz

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
I'm trying to "shop my closet" and not buy new things, especially shoes.  I've found some older shoes that I had from several years ago that are very comfortable and go with many things.  The problem is the footbed is getting worn away (since I usually don't wear socks since I'm in socal)  Do you guys know of anything that I can put in to cover/replace so give the bottom of my foot a nice experience?  I looked on amazon and all the inserts have special padding/foam and I just want a "cover".  I hope I am explaining this so you all understand.
thanks
LIz

Would the regular thin insoles you get at discount department stores or drugstores work (even some dollarstores)? I find the basic ones very thin and it would cover up the inside if that's what's wearing away/getting dirty...

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Thanks Kaybee, I'll check the .99 store next time I'm there.
Liz

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2016, 11:31:48 AM »
Just went overboard on shopping and need to commit to stop buying clothes/jewelry/shoes/etc. As a reward I will probably get myself a new ring at my birthday in late December....but I really need to back off now. Calling a freeze! I did super well in 2015 so I know it's possible, I just need to commit. Heading into fall should help as there are lots of clothes I haven't worn for months and no wardrobe gaps to address! It's just a willpower/emotional thing.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 06:08:16 AM »
I bought 4 pairs of undies from Best & Less. $6 in total. Some of my old pairs are starting to fall apart.

I also bought a new t-shirt and a lightweight summer cardigan for $30 from Crossroads. The cardigan is so I can wear my tank tops and not have to wear sunscreen on my shoulders.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »
Still at $0 on clothing and $122 on 2 pairs of (used, quality) shoes for the year.

I'm plotting and planning - I think that in January 2016, I'm going to do a 100% wardrobe reset. Sell, give way, or otherwise lose the majority of my clothing, and reset with a huge investment $500-1000 (paid in cash, of course) in new pieces, probably quite a few that I'll sew.

I've gotten to the point where all my clothing is getting so worn out, with so many repair holes, stretched out, bleached within an inch of its life, and my style needs have been changing. I last bought a piece of everyday clothing that wasn't a bra or underwear in 2013 and my style is really showing that.  I turn 30 next year and I think I really want to spend some serious time intentionally thinking about what kind of wardrobe I want and investing in quality clothing.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
I think that sounds reasonable. Awesome that you can sew a lot of them.

Try as I might to invest in "better" pieces, the truth is that during the summer most of my clothes can only be worn once or twice before needing a wash and washing them is obviously hard on them. I have one pair of pants that I bought almost exactly a year ago and they need to see the inside of a garbage can. Little elastic threads are exposing themselves along the butt seam and inside the thighs. Either from occasionally seeing the dryer (which I almost never use on my work pants) or just from a lot of wear. Even so, I suppose an even cheaper pair wouldn't have lasted this long, but it's disheartening to know that I need to replace them ASAP. (Likely this weekend.) I also have a pair of flats that I purchased around the same time and I have worn through the interior lining. A hole through the rubber is likely to happen in the next month. I used to LOVE shopping (still do, somewhat) but I'm irritated at the thought of having to replace these workhorse items. Actually, I should be able to retire the flats for my loafers and chelsea boots very soon...as soon as the temps stay more autumnal!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:49 AM »
Last weekend I went shopping and bought 3 long sleeve tops. I would like to also buy 2 sweaters, but haven't found any that I liked. Winter is coming and I had 2 long sleeve items that survived last winter, so it was necessary shopping.

I turn 30 next year and I think I really want to spend some serious time intentionally thinking about what kind of wardrobe I want and investing in quality clothing.

I think planning what you want is a great idea! Sometimes we outgrow our style, so a change is necessary.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:57 AM »
Last weekend I went shopping and bought 3 long sleeve tops. I would like to also buy 2 sweaters, but haven't found any that I liked. Winter is coming and I had 2 long sleeve items that survived last winter, so it was necessary shopping.

I turn 30 next year and I think I really want to spend some serious time intentionally thinking about what kind of wardrobe I want and investing in quality clothing.

I think planning what you want is a great idea! Sometimes we outgrow our style, so a change is necessary.

I am also in the process of doing the same thing, I ideally want to have a kind of capsule wardrobe but we will see. I cleaned out my wardrobe last weekend and will replace things as I need but with good quality stuff