Author Topic: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016  (Read 22506 times)

Ebrat

• Stubble
Re: Reduce clothing/shoes spending in 2016
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »
I want to see how long I can go this year without buying anything except running stuff.  I know I'll need some sports bras and a couple more pairs of running shoes.  So far I've bought 2 sports bras that were on clearance (I only wear a particular style of a particular brand) and a pair of running socks (necessary, but not planned).

I'll also need regular bras but have a gift card I'm saving to use on those, so I'm not counting them.

What's amazing to me is that I don't consider myself a big shopper, but I've encountered numerous occasions when I would buy something, or at least consider buying something.  Apparently I'm more of a shopper (or at least window shopper) than I thought.

Sounds like this thread/challenge is doing its job, then :)

I've been unsubscribing from emails from places I shop and that seems to help with the browsing. I also cruise this forum on work breaks/lunch break instead of browsing Target and Amazon online. Keeps things out of my cart and my head in the right place.

I agree, unsubscribing helps a lot.  You don't know you need it until you see it sometimes. I unsubscribed once before but during the holidays, I was all over the place so I have started to begin this process again.

It is!  It's been eye-opening.  Unsubscribing has helped, too.  Sales can be so tempting, even when you know the store will have another one next week...

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:46 AM »
Having to amend my goal a bit for a new job (yay!). Will need to pick up a suit ... trying to think through a professional capsule wardrobe and I think that's the only work need which speaks volumes to the success of my current wardrobe - small but goes from casual to dressy based on the mix and match.

On the plus side, I get to work mostly from home so the suit cost will offset the reduced wear and tear on the rest of my clothes!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
I picked up a number of clothes at a clothes swap a week ago, already put a skirt and pair of shoes into the donation bin (didn't quite work for me after all).

I got:
- a dress (which I might wear to work)
- a casual top
- tank top
- cardigan
- pair of shorts

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 12:56:09 AM »
I'm definitely joining. I think it's a good thing to say 'reduce' and not spend nothing. I don't foresee me really needing anything this year so I will try to not spend anything but maybe I'll need some pants for work or something. I will live by the  slogan of “use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without” and will add 'buy secondhand' on the end. I can only replace things I really need. So no replacing a blouse when I have 5 others.

Let's do this!

I spend 1040€ last year and 1350€ the year before. OMG. I know I bought a few real quality items and some really good eco fairtrade basics that were worth it but still WAY too much..  It adds up... I just don't need anything and certainly not for this amount of money.

I'm thinking of buying some black jeans/pants. I lost some weight and always had two pairs of black skinny jeans (the kind that are also very SFW, very dark black, not really a jeans fabric) that are now too big. I already bought a new one in a smaller size (that fits like a glove right now) and I also have 1 pair of normal blue jeans and one pair of dark green jeans and some skirts/dresses but love to wear my black jeans and am constantly wearing it (all seasons, goes with everything I own). I thought I only needed one, and technically I do, but it would be so much easier to have 2 if one is in the laundry.

These pants are the only thing I don’t buy secondhand though. But I know I will constantly wear them and will have to spend less time thinking what I’m going to wear this way.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
I almost bought a jacket yesterday.  I still might, but I didn't find the perfect one.  I want a packable down jacket that hits at the hip and has a flattering fit, but still has enough room to wear most clothes under it.  Found several options, and prices were good since winter stuff is starting to be cleared out, but I didn't find the PERFECT one, so I passed for now.  Was justifying it because I could get rid of two other bulky jackets I don't really like. 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Sanne, I think black jeans are a pretty solid workhorse. I have a pair from a friend as a hand-me-down but I bought a new pair this year too; I think it can be a good capsule basis. So to me it makes sense as a strategic purpose. Congrats on the weight loss!

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
Following! I started a new job back in August and cobbled together a few pieces to make it through the last sweltering weeks of summer and have been working on getting my winter wardrobe together. It feels mostly complete, definitely could use some warmer tops, but I'm just trying to remember to layer even through I'm super sick of the three sweaters I have.

I'm a little uncertain about how the wardrobe will stand when it starts to get hot again, but summer time will = major expenses with childcare so I should just try to suck it up and make do.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 04:48:29 AM »
Sanne, I think black jeans are a pretty solid workhorse. I have a pair from a friend as a hand-me-down but I bought a new pair this year too; I think it can be a good capsule basis. So to me it makes sense as a strategic purpose. Congrats on the weight loss!

Thanks, I think so too. They can be dressed down and up and go with everything. I will look for the same pair, because they are not that expensive and are an awesome fit. :)
Thanks about the congrats, I'd have to say though that I was not overweight before and liked my body just fine and just lost some belly fat (because I went vegan last year). Guess that's always welcome! The two other pairs of black jeans were loosening up last year so I already bought the smaller one but that one was a bit too tight then (don't know why I did buy them) and were not planning on buying pants this year but it's conscious buying so I guess it's not that bad. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:54:27 AM by Sanne »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »

Thanks, I think so too. They can be dressed down and up and go with everything. I will look for the same pair, because they are not that expensive and are an awesome fit. :)
Thanks about the congrats, I'd have to say though that I was not overweight before and liked my body just fine and just lost some belly fat (because I went vegan last year). Guess that's always welcome! The two other pairs of black jeans were loosening up last year so I already bought the smaller one but that one was a bit too tight then (don't know why I did buy them) and were not planning on buying pants this year but it's conscious buying so I guess it's not that bad. ;)

Ok, I bought the black jeans.

Sidenote: I also bought the same in grey.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
I got some clothes for free from a clothes swap. Giving some of it away (shoes, a skirt and probably the pair of shorts) because they're not as right as I thought they were.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
I got some clothes for free from a clothes swap. Giving some of it away (shoes, a skirt and probably the pair of shorts) because they're not as right as I thought they were.
I got a huge haul two weeks ago at a clothing swap (and gave some things away) and now I have a bunch of mending/altering to do, but am otherwise very happy to have so many new pieces of clothing to play with.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
I looked at ynab, and last year for H and I, we averaged 53/month. That seems highish but shoes are expensive, so IDK.

I'm going to try to get out 2016 average down but I already spent 150$ on some new work shirts for H, and he'll likely wear out other work things too. I don't want to skimp on work clothes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
Bought a lightly used pair of jeans on eBay last night.  I have two pairs of office-appropriate jeans in the exact same cut that I love, but one pair is starting to look a little too worn to pair with office clothes, so managed to track down an identical pair for $36.94 shipped (they retail for like $160, though I didn't pay half that for either of mine).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
Ugh, I clothes shopped this weekend. Need to stop trying to re-sell at the vintage places because they often take one piece or even no pieces and then I'm there browsing.

Did buy a nice basic black theory dress but I know it's a bad habit. Will try to purge some more stuff. Feeling a little stressed at whether I'll be able to properly control my spending this year.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
I'm joining in! last year I streamlined my wardrobe, but that also meant spending money for some replacements.

As of right now, the only thing I'm looking for is a black cardigan that isn't wide and oversized. I've been trying to find one that will not overwhelm my small frame and have had no luck.

I really like clothes, so this will be good for me!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »
Love me some black jeans! They are a staple in my capsule wardrobe, for work and casual.

Do you guys count underwear in your shopping bans? My nude bra just fell apart and I've got holes in a number of undies, and I ended up ordering two new bras and six new undies... More than I intended (I shamefully got suckered into the twofer/threefer deals), but I know they will go to good use, and Sweetie Pie will be excited for an update.  :)

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2016, 11:34:12 AM »
Hope things are going well with everyone. I've had to resist many purchases the past couple of months, but I think it is becoming easier to say no (or to exit the browser tab).

Just saw this very fun interactive chart: http://www.vox.com/personal-finance/2015/9/15/9261771/us-consumer-spending-2014

It will be interesting to see if/how much I can go below the average for my demographic (Men, 16 and over, $20,000-$29,999 income). Looks like clothing and footwear is $159+42 = 201 per year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
I think it's safe to call February a success.  So far this year - 2 pair running shoes and one pair jeans. 

I've been looking at down jackets, but it should be warm enough that I'll forget about it soon enough.  Kind of a tough call because if I can find the perfect one, it would replace 3 other jackets.

William Cannon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »
Work clothes are what kills my personal clothing budget.  My dress shirts just seem to wear out quicker than what I expect.  I started buying higher end non-iron dress shirts instead of the cheap Kohls stuff.  It seems counterintuitive to this challenge but they last much longer.

Tapa

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
I did well in February. I spent $65.17 for three pairs of work pants, 5 undies, and a necklace. The necklace was obviously totally unnecessary but before coupon was only $10. After coupon was likely around $6

Hopefully I'm set for a while. Will need some bras in the next few months but they can wait.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
Checking out of February with success! Nothing spent this year so far for clothing/shoes. Going to need to buy some sewing supplies to finish out a few dresses and mend a few pieces of clothing in the next month or so.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
I've been doing okay.  Bought 4 pairs of underwear with a gift card in February (plus got a free pair from VS), plus a pricey Athleta tank top that I love and will get lots of use out of (normally $45, but I somehow had $30 in rewards, so I only paid $15).

My favorite flats finally bit the dust.  I have a new pair in my cart at DSW and am waiting on a gift card I bought online so I can buy them.  I was really hoping I could get through the year only buying running stuff.  Oh well.  I think 1 item per month might be a good goal.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
I bought an article of clothing at an actual store (not a thrift store) for the first time* size last spring.  Some Dickies work jeans for $15.  They'll probably last for 10 years.

*Not counting underwear/socks/running shoes.  Can't get those at a thrift store.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
I still haven't bought a thing, unless you count getting two pairs of shoes repaired. I need to get some other work clothes repaired, but so far haven't HAD to. I snapped an underwire (MY EYE! lol) so I see some new bras in the future, but again, I don't HAVE to right now.

Taking up cycling when the weather warms, so I see at least a pair of padded shorts coming, as well.

Not sure if this counts, but I bought Current new socks and underwear at Target, but only because I have a Redcard and insist on getting the 5% discount, so I make all the purchases there. He covers most of the groceries. Also, his saggy-ass tighty-whities had to go! :P

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
So far this year: one swim suit.  I swim a lot, and I wear out two per year.  I never know if Costco is going to have the $20 speedo in my size (or even swimsuits) when they wear out.

So I have it, ready for when I need it.

But sadly, in the pool today, my 5.5 year old prescription swim goggles broke.  I actually wore them out.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
So far this year: one swim suit.  I swim a lot, and I wear out two per year.  I never know if Costco is going to have the $20 speedo in my size (or even swimsuits) when they wear out.

So I have it, ready for when I need it.

But sadly, in the pool today, my 5.5 year old prescription swim goggles broke.  I actually wore them out.

Wait, Costco sells speedos? For $20? Damn, I should have gotten my boyfriend's there instead of paying $60 at the fancy place last year... It's surprisingly difficult to find the things in Vancouver. We tried about five or six places that sell swimwear and they all just had the giant knee-length swimming trunks, which are totally impractical for us to bring traveling.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2016, 08:46:59 AM »
I think it's safe to call February a success.  So far this year - 2 pair running shoes and one pair jeans. 

I've been looking at down jackets, but it should be warm enough that I'll forget about it soon enough.  Kind of a tough call because if I can find the perfect one, it would replace 3 other jackets.

End of winter sales finally got good enough that I found the perfect down parka at a price I could swallow.  I'll be getting rid of at least two coats as a result; possibly a third or fourth, but I'm a bit fond of those two, so I might wait and see if I still want to wear them next winter when I have the lighter, less bulky down parka as an option.  So from a spending perspective this is a lose, but from a decluttering/minimizing standpoint, it's a win.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2016, 02:05:55 AM »
I wanted to go shopping for a couple of new tops for work on the weekend but spent the weekend resting in bed instead. I'm at the tail end of radiation therapy and the skin is sore and irritated. I can't wear a bra (even the soft surgical ones hurt too much) and I only have 3 tops that are comfortable and socially acceptable to wear to work (ie aren't too casual and hide the fact that I'm braless). Ah well. The pain and skin irritation are stopping me from going in to work, so no loss I guess. (I'm working from home instead)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
I have managed to refrain from buying anything this year clothing wise. Though this week I will need to buy some more socks

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
A pair of yoga pants that I have been eyeing for months went on sale and I am NOT going to buy them! Willpower success!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »
I just read this and wanted to share.

How to break the cycle of wanting: Clothing is deeply attached to image. The people who are most compulsive about what they have and don’t and what they wear and don’t are the ones who struggle with just that. The narrative of buying new clothes is: this will make me a different person, I need it. Now, of course, you’re going to buy clothes in your life, it’s not a bad thing, nor is it an inherently unhealthy practice. But when it comes to excessive consuming, it’s crucial to question your motivations and take stock of your mental state. If you find you’re doing it to fill a void or shift your image, address that instead.

http://soulanatomy.org/the-ultimate-guide-to-realistic-minimalism-what-you-need-what-you-dont-and-why-we-consume-more-than-we-really-want/

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
Had to dig through a box to find my "Kiss Me I'm Irish" shirt to wear yesterday (a pre-Mustachian purchase that I've worn three years in a row now) and discovered there were a lot of wearable clothes that I never got around to unpacking. Now I've got a pile sitting outside my closet that I'll wash up this weekend and put into the rotation. Most are really not my style (gifts from Mom) but they'll be fine for the office or schlepping around the house.

So far, I still haven't bought anything this year for myself. My birthday is next month so I'll probably ask for gift cards to be used on the necessities later in the year. I can only sew the elastic on my undies so many times. :P

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
Read the article, but not sure how it sits with me. Those 'occasion' clothes? I like having them! My life has occasions. It's not a fantasy. And it does feel good to have a variety of nice options. I like the options. But how to stop and say 'I have enough'? That's where I struggle. especially when I dig into my wardrobe, choose stuff to let go by sending to thredup, and then getting very little back. At that point I almost feel like, well, I have the space and the options--why not just keep it all! Yet then I feel longing for new-to-me clothes. Maybe it's just that I'm never going to stop getting pleasure from this area and should stop stigmatizing the wanting? But I know it's not necessary to add in more items!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:11 PM »
I bought 6 pairs of white sports socks from Woolies for $14. I've been wearing longish black Everyday socks with sneakers which a) look silly and b) mean they are wearing out faster and I can't replace them (the new Everyday socks are much more slippery and uncomfortable, sigh).

Read the article, but not sure how it sits with me. Those 'occasion' clothes? I like having them! My life has occasions. It's not a fantasy. And it does feel good to have a variety of nice options. I like the options. But how to stop and say 'I have enough'? That's where I struggle. especially when I dig into my wardrobe, choose stuff to let go by sending to thredup, and then getting very little back. At that point I almost feel like, well, I have the space and the options--why not just keep it all! Yet then I feel longing for new-to-me clothes. Maybe it's just that I'm never going to stop getting pleasure from this area and should stop stigmatizing the wanting? But I know it's not necessary to add in more items!

YMMV (you seem to live quite a different life to me :)), but I found there is a weird paradox with clothes. I used to have a lot more clothes than I do now (maybe double how much I have). Then I went through my wardrobe a few times and only kept the items that I loved*. Amazingly, because I loved every item of clothing in my wardrobe, it suddenly felt like I had more clothes. Which was weird, because I had less clothes than before.

* I did this by getting DH to hold up each item of clothing one at a time and ask me, "do you love and want to keep this?" If I answered fast and firmly Yes! I kept it. Any other answer, it went in the donate pile (except for an outfit for gardening - I don't love my gardening clothes but I don't care if they get trashed, so I keep them).

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
YMMV (you seem to live quite a different life to me :)), but I found there is a weird paradox with clothes. I used to have a lot more clothes than I do now (maybe double how much I have). Then I went through my wardrobe a few times and only kept the items that I loved*. Amazingly, because I loved every item of clothing in my wardrobe, it suddenly felt like I had more clothes. Which was weird, because I had less clothes than before.

I have found this to be true for me as well. I think it is because everything I have now (which is about 40% of what I used to have) goes perfectly with each other. I no longer have the "I have nothing to wear" problem because everything works together.

flashart03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »
I'm in for the challenge!  Funny, I actually feel like I don't shop much, but I just looked at my Mint figures for 2015 and the beginning of this year... and well... it tells a very different story.  Ugh.  Here's to the rest of the year with no (or at least drastically reduced) shopping! 

Thanks for the challenge!

Jschange

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »
I've recently bought a refreshment of socks and underwear. I've been rotating things nicely in my closest, and also just acquired "the life changing magic of tidying up". I don't expect my clothes to be greatly purged, since I stay on top of that category.

I just glanced at the article, and except for missing out on the importance of seasons and re wearing occasions pieces, it fits well enough for me.

BookWorm22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »
I am in.  No total for last years spending (thank goodness).  I do know it was a stupidly large amount.  This year no clothing or shoes purchased yet.  There will be a purchase of a sports bra at some point this year, but hopefully not much else.  I would like to keep the budget for the year at $200.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »
How's everyone doing? My goal was $300 each for myself and my 1-year-old daughter for the year. I'm up to $90 for my daughter - she just won't stop growing! ;) I've only spent $21 on myself so far on two pairs of shoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
How's everyone doing? My goal was $300 each for myself and my 1-year-old daughter for the year. I'm up to $90 for my daughter - she just won't stop growing! ;) I've only spent $21 on myself so far on two pairs of shoes.

I'm doing OK, but not great.  So far I've purchased two coats - one is packable down and the other one is a waterproof shell.  Both are sleeker and more professional-looking than what I had before, and more suited to the weather we get around here, so I'm pretty happy with them, and will be getting rid of the jackets they replaced.  They were also about 40% and 50% off, respectively.  I also bought a duplicate of one of my favorite gym shirts when I was in TJ Maxx looking for bed sheets and got sucked into looking through the active wear.  Of course I got an eyeful of the cute spring clothes when I walked through the store as well, and have been so tempted to go back and buy new tops, but I've been staying strong on that count.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2016, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm at $90 for the year so far. I got the following all in the first 6 weeks, so I actually haven't bought anything for almost 2 months, yay!
$2 polo shirt from Goodwill. This kind is long enough to tuck in, because I'm an adult now!
$30 dress shoes from ebay. Needed for a wedding.
$58 timberland boots from amazon warehouse deals (where amazon sells its returns). They just looked great and really sturdy, I had to have them.

They were all worn once or not at all as far as I can tell.

My goal remains $160 for the entire year and I think might actually make it, since I have no excuse to buy more shoes now.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
I'm resisting the urge to buy special hiking vacation clothes. I'm going to Portland and the spendy side of me wants to go to REI and buy all the things. But it doesn't make sense so I'm sticking with layers and the knowledge that if I get wet and miserable I can go back to my AirB&B place to take a nap and do laundry. I may look for some water-shedding pants at the thrift store, but otherwise I'm sticking to what I have.

So far this year, I've bought one pair of running shoes, three pairs of socks, and a swimsuit for laps at the YMCA. And I have boxes of clothes ready for goodwill and the consignment store. I'm determined to keep it the same until October at least.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:06:17 PM by GoConfidently »

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »
I'm doing good so far--I bought an $60 pair of hiking boots, which I really needed.  And, I'm probably going to buy a $20 belly band this week, since I'm 13 weeks pregnant, and my pants are starting to get just a little tight. 

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
So far I have not bought any clothes this year!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
I've put on a bit of weight this year and only one pair of my work trousers still fit me. So yesterday I spent $100 on 2 pairs of plain suit pants for work so I have something to wear for winter.

I also bought a tunic top several sizes too big, so I can wear it as a dress over leggings. And an amazing cardigan that is cut perfectly for my shape. Spent another $50 on those two items, so a total of $150. I think I spent about $20 on sports socks earlier this year, so I'm running at about $170 so far.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »
Bought a pair of shoes for $40, don't regret it for a second. Had them on my list for a few years, and they popped up on ebay for less than a 1/4 of retail.

Otherwise, still at $0 on clothes for the year! Going to a clothing swap today to round out some summer clothes.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2016, 04:47:26 AM »
Sigh, of course I come to confess and have up follow M2's sterling example of thrifty and conscious spending. Will try to remember the YMOYL 'no shame, no blame' mantra in this post and elsewhere! TL:DR, under new job stress plus clothing-fitting-body angst (see:why does seemingly nothing accommodate my hips??), went down an old rabbit hole and spent 770 on clothes. Not $77! $770! Last year I knew exactly what my clothing purchases were for the year, and it was reasonable--this year...oy.

So coming here to commit to returning some of it (I have a few pieces earmarked), to commit to sending some other older items to thredup even though they hardly pay anything because at least it frees up room in my wardrobe, and to commit to believing that I have enough and challenging these buying urges which are really just manifestations of feelings about something totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2016, 05:00:54 AM »
I spent $115 on clothing. I found many of my tshirts had holes in them so replaced them, got some socks, and bought a hoodie as well.

Now that it is getting warmer I need to buy sandals, so that will be another expense... hopefully soon, but I am picky so we will see.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
Joining even though we're in the fifth month already.  I've tried to whittle my wardrobe down to more or less a capsule wardrobe which wasn't too hard because I wear a uniform at work.  I just try to avoid stores unless I *actually* need something because it is easy for me to convince myself I "need" something once I see it.  Case in point, the maxi dress I picked up at a Ross while in the US for work.  I actually needed  footie socks but when I was headed to the cash, I knocked some items off a rack while squeezing through a tight space.  While picking the items up, I noticed the dress (it had fallen) and thought there was no harm in trying it on.  Smh. Dammit, it fit perfectly and I succumbed.  It was $8 and matches the colour scheme in my capsule but still, I need to work on my willpower!  Hopefully that'll be my last purchase for awhile...

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
I finally broke my clothing spending freeze. I spent a birthday gift card on bras and underwear (still not my own money) but splurged and got three new-to-me tops on ThredUp. Got 20% off for my first order. I need them for work and going out. I've also been whittling down my closet and kids' closets and sorting into "sell" "offer" and "donate" piles. My only pair of workable jeans got an irreparable hole in them, but in cleaning out drawers I found two pairs - one that's a bit too big, and another that's a bit too small. I'm determined to make them work, though. We'll see.